Once Upon a Time Post-season Debrief: Can Y'all Make Any Sense of These 12 (!) Dropped Storylines?

I’ve never been able to resist a loose end. I see a string coming out of my jeans, ten minutes later I’m sitting bottomless in a pile of denim. OUAT is choc-a-bloc with loose ends; Season 2 ended our season with all five of our favorite characters and Prince Charming on the Jolly Roger, ropin’ and riggin’ and sailin’ their way toward Neverland. Writers, you can’t chuck the tangled web of expired plot coupons behind that easily! I try not to pull apart the story logic in reviews, because OUAT is about emotional justice, not making intricate, logical plots, but since this is going to be on my mind all summer anyway, please join me in nitpicking to our heart’s content the many dropped storylines and abandoned story devices OUAT has left to dangle in the wind.

1. KATHRYN

She’s Regina’s only Storybrooke friend, David Nolan’s Storybrooke wife, and she slapped Snow silly and got Snow thrown in jail/put Snow perilously close to going on trial for homicide when she mysteriously disappeared. The show implied she took off for Boston after she got out of the hospital. Where is she now? Was she affected when the curse broke? I can understand how awkward it would be for Kathryn and Snow to keep running into each other around town. Still, I’d love to know if she leapt out of her seat midway through a Friday-night viewing of Black Swan with the sudden realization she was a fairy-tale princess.

2. HEART IN A BOX

When Kathryn went missing, her heart was supposedly found in a box by Ruby. No investigation into whose heart it actually was. Either the Feds really dropped the ball on this one, or Emma burnt up the police report with a Hot Toolz-brand curler while touching up her ‘do at the station.

3. RING OF KEYS

Remember how it was revealed that Regina had a ring of keys to all the buildings in Storybrooke? That came in handy for about 1.5 scenes and then was never referred to again. Not much to see here, folks, just calling this one out as a big ol' dollop of plot spackle.

4. SIDNEY GLASS

So you’re telling me, when magic returned to Storybrooke, an all-powerful genie wasn’t affected? Didn’t regain the ability to grant wishes or, say, unlock a door? Or he wasn’t, at the very least, returned to his cursed state of living in Regina’s mirrors? Not even in that Forever 21 dressing room at the back of her tomb? Or was Gus Fring/Neville just not returning your calls, OUAT casting person?

5. HEARTS

According to OUAT, there is nothing a bitch can’t do with a heart, from eavesdropping on people to controlling people to outright killing them. It’s been established that removing the heart takes magic (Hook was briefly given the magic power to remove hearts by Cora) so how was Regina operating Graham’s heart in Storybrooke—as we saw her do when she needed someone to chase around Greg Mendell’s dad—before the curse was broken? For that matter, how did she keep Daniel’s body preserved all those years?

Also, if removing someone’s heart, as Cora did to herself, removes their emotions, then how did Graham form enough of a crush on Emma to plant that smooch on her in Season 1?

ALSO, remember in Season 2, when Mulan just shoved Aurora’s heart back in with absolutely no magic or idea how to do it? Because I do. I SEE U OUAT.

6. OH SO PHILLIP IS ALIVE?

We all saw the wraith suck Phillip’s soul out of his body and skidoo off back to whatever Rite-Aid Halloween display the wraith had come from in the first place. Yet we saw Aurora, Phillip, and Mulan greet Neal’s body on the shores of the Enchanted Forest. SO. How did they reunite Phillip’s soul with his body? Writers got all summer to come up with something, but do NOT be surprised if we never get an explanation.

7. MENACING MOP GUY… WHY SO MENACING?

Why the creepy mop guy? Was there once a plotline that involved him that ended on the cutting-room floor? Or does he betoken another realm based, like Frankenstein’s black-and-white-movies world, on the oeuvre of Gritty Movies from the Late '70s Starring Jack Nicholson?

8. GRUMPY & NOVA

While many couples who had been torn cruelly apart in Fairy-Tale Land found each other, Grumpy appeared to continue pick-axin’ for diamonds and Nova appeared to continue hanging out with the Blue Fairy at the nunnery. Not that I was ever especially fond of this couple, but considering how much screen time Grumpy got, you’d think the show could've snuck in one reference to Nova, even if they had to do things Mulan-style and put a chain-link veil over the lower part of an Amy Acker lookalike’s face.

9. CHIP IN PIECES

This is a really small thing but it truly bothered me. If Rumple could effortlessly reassemble Chip, why didn’t he do that immediately and not just when Belle needed the cup? He was just going to keep a jumble of porcelain together in a velvet bag?

10. SNOW’S DARK HEART

Snow’s heart was getting increasingly darker there for a while (I loved that satisfying slap she gave old Marco in the woods), but apparently she put the brakes on that heart-darkening, perhaps even reversed it by… ingesting Regina’s tears? Experiencing the pain Regina went through? Not sure. I sort of feel like the writers could have done more with Dark Snow and I wish we had seen a little more of that alleged character. Wish she'd called up Dr. Whale and told him he was an ungenerous lover, then told Charming that David Nolan was a real creeper. You know, gotten some things off her chest.

11. MAGIC & DIAMONDS

Okay, this one is advanced math for me, but: All magic comes from diamonds that are mined by dwarves, then ground into powder and distributed by fairies. Except True Love, which is the greatest magic of all and can break any curse. When Rumple poured True Love juju into the well, he caused diamonds to grow that were later mined by the dwarves, but how were he and Regina suddenly able to use magic? They were what, harnessing the power of true love? Didn’t Rumple LOSE his power when confronted with True Love’s kiss? Also didn't Mr. Gold steal all the magic from the diamonds at one point in "Queen of Hearts" before Regina helped Emma and Snow climb out of the well and if you can do that then why even grind them in the first place? And where did the Blue Fairy get new magic from if they took all the magic out of the diamonds? Y’all.

12. MEMORY CURE

Now that there’s a memory cure that the Blue Fairy made offscreen (Grumpy basically said “The Blue Fairy made this offscreen, Mr. Gold. Just pretend it’s a storyline we’ve been following all season and ignore the fact we just thought it up”), can the Blue Fairy synthesize MORE of this potion so Storybrooke people can come and go? What could she possibly be doing that’s more important than that?

So yes. After a season of telling you we must not dissect gossamer, consider this the post where we get into the nitty-gritty and really hash out the dead-end storylines, redonkulous story devices, and other things that made us go HMMMMM. Get it all out of your systems before Season 3. Because I bet none of these points will be addressed, there will likely be a whole new setting and another cavalcade of weird and wild adventures, and I could not be more excited for them.

Finally, feel free to spend your summer playing with these OUAT paper dolls.

QUESTIONS:

… This whole post, basically. Plus your own questions! OUAT hive mind, let’s do this!

I can't wait to see how season two feels when rewatching it but just watching it week by week and then after a rewatch of season one to compare made season two feel seriously unplanned. It's like they planned the first couple episodes and some interactions and then just winged it. I'm really sad they sacrificed the character-driven, smart and subtle storytelling of season one for dumb plot lines (and useless episodes about characters like Tiny) and lame villains in season two. I don't know why they were so desperate for mystery villains. I know they did Lost but... that's really not what they should strive for with this show in my opinion. If they do it's just going to keep getting more and more disappointing.

Also another dropped storyline: the zombies Cora raised up in the Enchanted Forest. What happened to those things?
Its not like the resultions were any better: Pinocchio was the best part of Emma's childhood, until they lost him in a couple of flashbacks and turned him into an 8 year old boy (that Emma can't date).

Regina's entire revenge curse was based on Daniel the stable boy, until he was unceremoniously killed off to make room for her mother (who was also killed off).

Frankenstein and Little Red Ridding Hood shared a total of 1 episode, wasting most of the back and forth from the first season, not to mention an accidental one night stand with Red's best friend (Snow White).

Hook had a thing for Emma, Willa, Milla, Regina before he went back to Neverland without ending his revenge on Belle or Core.

Archie Hopper seemed to have a crush on Regina until he was killed off, only he wasn't, only he was, only he wasn't without so much as Geppeto or Pinocchio saying a Word at his funeral.

At least someone told on camera that Lancelot was killed off and Lady Marion was pregnant with Robin Hood baby, still doesn't explain them on though.

With such a disppointed results, I'm not looking forward to answers either.
This comment has been removed.
I believe the writers've said that Kathryn reunited with Jim (Frederick) and the two of them are living happily in Storybrooke.
Yes they did.Not within the show of course, but they did confirm that in an interview.
Because heaven forbid viewers of the SHOW should actually know that information. Somebody said here in the past, and I totally agree, that people shouldn't have to dig in podcasts and obscure interviews with show creators to find out what is going on. The fact that they do this so often is proof that a) they are pulling these answers out of their asses when confronted with a question they haven't given any thought to, b) they are brazen egoists who enjoy people having to track them down to get information about a storyline that should be revealed in the show itself, or c) they are such inept and uncreative time managers that they can't figure out how to pepper a 22-episode season with a few scenes of characters we spent a year getting to know. Most likely answer: d) All of the above.
give me a moment to think! ¬¬
no need to!
the answer is "d"

did I win something???
1) I'm not sure if they actually said that Kathryn fled the scene after getting out of hospital. It was her original plan yes, but the curse pretty much made it impossible for anyone to leave (see her getting in her original car accident and a bunch of stuff Henry said during S1). I think she's just been forgotten or, once regaining her memories (after the curse was broken), probably remembered catching a glimpse of her true love in gym shorts and high-tailed it to the school and they now live happily (and therefore boringly and unstory-worthy) ever after in her and Davids old house. If she did make it out she would be lost to storybrooke forever as she'd retain her Kathryn persona and never think to return.

2) My guess would be that Regina thwarted any actual involvement from the Feds. Much like she had the results of "whose heart is it" tampered with.

3) Plot spackle. Exactly. It'll come up in three seasons time as a convienant 'Wait! LEts use the big key ring, which is so handy for our current dilemma' and that will be it.

4) I was wondering this! I dont think he would have been voodoo'd back into the mirror, he'd probably still be human shaped, just like the dwarves and the fairies (and giants, imps, gnolls etc), as the curse breaking seems to have given back peoples memories but not much else. Remember it wasn't the broken curse but Gold's spell that brought magic back to storybrooke and that doesn't seem to have altered anyones shape just given those innately magical back their powers. And he is a genie but genies are pretty powerless unless given a wish by their masters. So he's probably an all powerful genie still working for the newspaper. Or in hiding. He did piss a lot of people off.

5) I'm going to go out on a magical limb here and assume that since the curse was created around what Regina wanted (her idea for peoples memories and story background), she would have included a few stop gaps like an undead ex. She did have that room in the tomb where she secreted away a few magical objects, like she used to activate the hat. So she must have brought a bit of temporary mojo with her. My guess (in relation to the hearts) is that once a persons heart is out and all magicked up it still retains some of its basic properties, like controlling the mind of its owner. After all Dr Whale brought one into his non-magical world and was able to use its funky properties.
As for Graham. I dont know if he had a crush when he kissed Emma, so much as he was reacting to her magic-begone nature. He said he felt nothing and then lay one on her and BLAMO, some of his memories came back and he started... not feeling but reacting. Emma seemed pretty much to be magical curse-repellent for most of S1.

6) You just know that this is going to be a flash back series next season. The Adventures of Prince Phillip and the Evil Wraith.

7) Hahaha. I want to see this story.

8) It's the fact that grumpy never mentions Nova that really bugs me.

9) I can't even remember when chip was broken...

10) I'm not sure if Snow actually is cured. I think she's just trying to fix herself by acting good. I think she'd have to do something more dramatic then a location spell gone horribly wrong for her heart to be cured. Does beg the question though. I wonder what Regina's heart looks like...

11) It's much like I said before. Golds spell brought magic back to the land. Those diamonds were just an off-shoot. Those that are naturally magical dont need the diamonds to use magic. But it does work differently in our world and so it took them all time to learn how to access it properly. Like Red turning into a werewolf. She couldnt control that, not to mention Regina epically failing to use magic at first, against the angry mob. They all (Regina, Gold, the Blue Fairy) had to go back to the basics. Regina needed a magical book, Gold his dagger, the fairies needed diamonds. Now that they've learnt how to adapt they dont need their magical crutches.

12) I suppose the real issue would be, would the SB characters remember why they were leaving town in the first place and that they really should come back?

So many questions! It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out.
For me, the most glaring plot hole is the sudden memory cure. I was so pissed at Pinocchio becoming a child again. It made no bleeping sense and even the memory cure fixing Belle does not make up for it. Also, Fairy magic has been really inconsistent. Is it limited or powerful? Does it come with a price or not? The third thing that really pissed me off was the "I know you're Baelfire" reveal. That was so stupid! I expected to see Tinker Bell! That was such a cop-out. It's like the writers couldn't come up with anything better. And they still haven't explained how August even knew that. Pinocchio didn't know anything about Rumpelstiltskin back in Fairy Tale Land cuz he was just a child. A freaking gun would have been more convincing. "Leave Emma alone or I'll kill you." All the other things you brought up can be fixed. Let's just say that Kathryn crossed the town line permanently becoming her Storybrooke self and continued on with her plan to leave town. We just need a confirmation to come through Regina, like an email. I never thought the heart was Kathryn's. Regina has a gajillion, remember? And lots of cases "go cold" so people stop looking for answers. Until some new guy intrigued by the case picks it up and looks at it with a fresh pair of eyes. I HATED the Grumpy and Nova storyline since its inception. I heard of love at first sight but that was just ridiculous. In any case, they're not allowed to be together anyway so perhaps for now they are honoring that. Then again, the fairies and main cast have had a lot of contact. Is it that hard to make the two stare at each other for a moment? I agree the heart mythology has been a bit inconsistent but I thought it came full circle with the Cora plot. Without a heart, a person doesn't feel. That was the first rule established and that's what it came back to with Cora. She was evil and cold cuz she didn't have her heart but once it was reinserted she returned to normal. "This would've been enough." That was a touching moment. To be honest, I think that things that were addressed were more frustrating than these "dropped plots" you listed. They can be properly addressed at any time in the future. The keys don't benefit anyone but Regina cuz she's the only one that knows what their for and she was evil or scheming most of the season. I thought the same thing about chip at first, but like someone else said, Rumple probably didn't want to do magic in front of Belle and then just forgot about it. #11 just hurt my head. I don't know what to make of it. Oh here's a dropped plot that pissed me off: the whole town returning to Fairy Tale Land. The main characters go off sailing. The rest of the town: "Weren't we supposed to die or something?" "I thought our King and Queen had made a plan for us to return home." "Where are they anyway?" "Idk." "What the fudge happened?" "Why does no one keep us in this loop?" "I say we riot!" "Hang on. It looks like we're not dead and not going back to the Enchanted Forest." "Now what?" "The wicked witch is dead, or at least gone, so how about we elect a new mayor for starters?" "Well, why you do that I'm going to plot revenge against our leaders who abandoned us." "I know. Let's do both!" *applause and cheering* The way they just dropped everything and left pissed me off. And if they're out of magic beans I'm going to be really mad. Eventually, I want the whole town to return to the Enchanted Forest. So much more interesting than Storybrooke.
My head hurts.
Once Upon a Time lost its footing in Season 2 for sure. Season 1 was simply superb and moved at a good pace with enough surprises and oooo-ahhhh moments!

However Season 2 has definitely missed out not in just the areas that you raised here but others as well. It shamelessly started grasping at straws!

My only hope is that it does indeed work out better in Season 3 with proper continuity and storylines. I don't expect them to answer all the unleft questions and cover all the gaping holes in their story that they left in Season 2 - heck, they'd need a whole season just to do that! but i do hope that they make Season 3 better!
OUAT is the greatest show on tv nowadays because one of its greatest strength is great continuity unlike many other shows (The writers that came from Lost came with to mind not to repeat all off the Lost mistakes like no more episode with useless flashbacks that don't move along the story)
No show is perfect but this show is at least tries to keep everything logical and consistent
Addressing your points
1) Kathryn most likely is dead since bad things happen to all those who try to leave town before the curse was broken except of course for Emma,Henry and August she may have told Charming that she is going to Boston but I don't think he ever checked that she got there
2) Who cares it could be a pig heart for all we know and you forget Regina had a collection of hearts in the tomb which I think it is Cora collection
3) Who cares Regina has magic she don't need no stinking keys :)
4) The genie lost all his power when he got into the mirror and just because the course broke that does not mean he has to go back to the mirror just like the shrink does not go back to be a cricket (I am so glad we don't see that actor no more cause seeing him make me want to punch Charlie from Revolution in the face :) )
5) maybe shoving the heart back does not require magic.we saw the even without a heart a person can some little measure of feeling like Graham and Regina lover Cora just chose to ignore whatever little feeling she has left
6) I sure this is one thing we will find out next season
7) So The Undertaker is mopping floor in Storybrooke if there is Fairytale Land Wonderland and Neverland why not WWF land :)
8) Who cares I am so glad we got rid of the dwarf for season 3 he is useless like many other character the were left behind (except Belle)
9) Who cares maybe Mr Gold did not want not use magic in front of Belle so she would not be more afraid of him and he never got around to peacing it back since his mind was on Bae
10) Who cares dark Snow or Snow white she is still stupid useless Snow :)
11) Mr Gold and Regina uses black magic which I guess work different not to mention that in this series The Blue Fairy like almost all the "Good" guys is pretty clueless stupid and useless which is such a shame because I would much rather have on the show at least one magical wise "Good" guy (or in this case girl :)) but I guess all the brain on the show is on the "Bad" guys side
12) I think The blue fairy is working on it maybe with the help of the seven stupid dwarf:)
This is why I shut my brain down when watching this show! Suddenly everything is everything and nothing matters...
agree with all of those, but as you said logic isn't this show's strong suit. ha ha.
All good points. As for #6, I just assumed that Neal somehow ended up in the past, which could accidentally affect what we just watched unfold in Season 2.
The first season was so sweet and fairytale like. Bailed after season two went all wonky...
Ditto, trying to find logic in this show is pointless
And whatever happend to Cinderella and her Prince? Didn't they rule their own kingdom? Why didn't Snow White and Charming call them like "Hey, we're going on a trip, help Belle keep an eye on things. Thanks!"

As for some of the points you mentioned:

1) I'm not really interested. I feel like this point is closed. She wasn't in Storybrooke when magic came back so I don't think she was affected.

2) Maybe it was Greg's Dad's heart? Naa, that's a little too well planned for OUAT lol. Idk, once you discover Regina has a whole TOMB full of hearts, one random heart buried by the creek isn't that interesting anymore.

3) I also wanna know what else those keys open. There has to be more than just the library and the crypt.

4) I miss that character...can't they just do a recast at least? I feel like Regina would have released the genie by now considering how lonely she is...

5) Agreed!

6) Hopefully they'll answer this next season.

7) Don't even remember him.

8) I HATED this episode. It was so boring and dragged out. I didn't find their love interesting at all! I like Grumpy, but that episode almost ruined him.

9) The cup was broken, just like his heart. Why fix it?

10) This is the worst one! I was so into the possibility of Dark Snow. I really hope they continue to explore it when they get to Neverland, but I'm sure they'll conveniently forget which sucks.

11) I'll gladly forget this one. Again, the fairy episode, not good. Actually, I don't think I like the fairies at all. Can they forget that plot point all together? I'm okay with that.

12) Didn't Rumple tell Belle to put up a barrier in the finale? I don't think anyone's going to leave anytime soon. Besides, if people like Tamara and Greg are what's outside Storybrooke, why would the characters leave?
Why does nobody think Kathryn was in SB when the curse was lifted? In the S1 finale, David told MM he was moving into the apartment Kathryn had leased in Boston because she had decided to stay in SB. He told her something like, "Unless you give me a reason to stay." and MM said, "I can't." He was on his way to Boston when the curse was broken, it jolted him in his truck, and then he turned around to go find Snow.

Kathryn was in SB and should be with Frederick the soccer coach, and I agree with Lily that we should have seen that at some point this season, along with so many other reunions we missed out on. She was in over half the episodes in S1, and now it's like she never existed. And even the smaller loose ends that were intriguing bother me - like what happened to Prince Thomas after he disappeared down the well. We know he made it to SB as "Sean", but we don't know what Rumpel did to him, and I know we never will. It's maddening!
I think the biggest problem are too many unfinished storylines. Since there's not even a hint as to when most of these would continue - or if they would continue at all - I only ended up losing interest in the show as a whole.
Also I just remembered the one show that had so many unfinished storylines that some of them should have been finished in season 1. There was the one with the black hat man (Romano) which they never showed again, the souls that were trapped under grandview, and I am sure there are many more I just can't think of them right now.
I think many of these storylines ended in a good way and don't need to be revisited, except the one with how Mulan and Aurora rescue Philip.
yeah, #9 bugged me. "Oh no, she broke that thing the that made me think about Belle all that time! S'okay! SHAMZAM! All better now." The only rational thing I can buy (beyond a writer's "hey, let's get that old busted Chip in on this!") is Gold figured it was a waste of magic when he was trying to ween off it, but now he didn't really give a damn.

Also, most of the forgotten plotlines are due more to actors being elsewhere than anything else. Cost, too, likely. Still sad they lost Meghan Ory, though. With her gone and Emile De Ravin back in Storybrooke, there's a little less beauty on the show. I bet Regina gets all of Red's leather pants.
Just like LOST, this is one of those shows that I watch and try not to think too hard about all the loose ends, because it just makes my fragile head hurt too much.
Lost was a bunch of mysteries that kept growing and growing with no real answers
It got so bad that to had to blame it all on a rock in the middle of the Island
OUAT is 100 times better on finishing their sub plots
I understand where you're coming from, so don't interpret this as an attack - but I feel like the audience shouldn't have the burden of reconciling a show's mistakes. When plot holes and dropped storylines happen with this type of frequency, and yet people continue to watch (though their numbers consistently fell through the last third of the season), it encourages these and other show creators to simply do the bare minimum and still get called a "hit show". And we can only expect more disappointing shows like this if they are rewarded with high viewership and revenue.

It's like if a corrupt politician wins re-election after re-election, eventually people running for office realize they can be corrupt with no consequences so why not? For some reason I have continued to watch this show even though I haven't been impressed with it since about halfway through S1. I have done the mental gymnastics trying to make it make sense. I have worked WAY harder on this story than I suspect any of the writers have.

Part of me thought it would get better once it got its footing, another part enjoyed the community of this forum and the funny reviews. I don't know if I will tune in for S3, but I'd like to think I will take my own advice and stop using my time to reward the things I find undeserving of it.
More +
The issue for me is: Do the audience continue to watch? Because it doesn't seem to me this is the case with Once Upon a Time

For example, it ended this season with only 7.3 million, despite it started with 12.9 in the pilot episode.
I hope they can learn from that. So far I've just heard them making excuses for it. They have blamed the decline in viewership on their hiatuses for the Super Bowl and the Grammy's (and another long one near the end that seemed to have no purpose), but not on their inability to tell a coherent story. I hope they come to forums like this and see how disappointed people are. And the spinoff seems like such a blatant money grab - like they are trying to stuff their purses on the way down before everyone realizes the emperor has no clothes. It's so disgusting.
Remember when Cora killed Archie and they found his body, but then it turned out he was alive aboard Hook's ship and the dead guy wasn't really him? Who the heck did she kill?
... a random Red Shirt from Star Trek.
Who cares that he's not from a fairy tale? Neither are half of the characters!!
Maybe Its just magic she just made a fake corpse
After he is buried he will fade away
Who the hell is going to check
1. Yeah, poor Kathryn was one of the many dropped characters, although I don't really miss her all that much. She provided some GREAT storyline in Season 1, but I'm okay with her being gone now. Characters I DO miss - Jefferson, Whale, Ruby (I know she's gone now, but they stopped using her first), Archie. I even kind of miss Cinderella, whose Storybrook name I can't remember now. She was on Last Resort, but that was cancelled. I know I bemoaned that we were still going to have storyline in Storybrooke next season, but if we used some of those characters, I would be totally okay with that.

2. Didn't Regina have a whole crypt full of hearts? I kind of just assumed it was one of those. But, why Emma didn't try to call the feds at the time... who knows. Did they still think MM was guilty at that point? Maybe that's why.

4. Sidney is another great character that's gone missing. I know Gus is on Revolution now, but I feel like they could recast the role of Sydney. As you point out, Lily, he could be really instrumental in Storybrooke right now.

5. This one goes along with #11 for me, as in, the magic in this show sucks, and is just so inconsistent. I don't even like that Hook was able to take a heart, even if they did explain it with 'Cora LENT him the magic.' Really? It's okay not to have hard and fast rules in magic; you can leave it sort of vague and mysterious, but in Season 2, they didn't do that. They got too much into the details - details that didn't make sense - and instead, magic has become a deus ex machina way too many times on this show.

6. There was a scene where Mulan told Aurora she had found a way to save Philip, or something, so I just assume they did. Maybe we'll even see it in flashbacks next season, who knows.

10. This is the one that really bugs me. It was the biggest dropped storyline, I think because it had so much potential. Snow could have gone really dark; I mean, this is the kind of storyline they could have actually dragged out for a while, and it would have been interesting (unlike Snow and Emma being trapped in FTL for half a season).
I hope we'll find out that different types of magic work somewhat differently- for example, Emma's magic as the Savior is inborn, so she "just does it", more or less unconsciously. Regina's magic is learned, although perhaps requiring an inborn aptitude- still, she'd have to know what she wanted to do and focus.

Rumplestiltskin acquired powers by 1) murdering someone with an enchanted dagger and 2) accepting the seer's gift so she COULD die. I'm guessing death magics will exact a different type of price than Emma's "True Love" magic.
In Hook's defense... typically there is Magic and then there are enchanted items. using magic, you have to "learn" how to do it and what-not. But enchanted items, anyone can just use by "using them". So she probably enchanted his hook for one heart-removal.

Snow's double-candle, the Hatter's Hat, various other little trinkets.

It's big in fantasy novels and other adventure games/books. Any random guy can use an item that's been enchanted. Though said items are usually limited to do a specific thing, and sometimes for a limited number of times.
Yeah, but doesn't all magic "come with a price"? Or only evil magic?
When it comes to enchanted items: who knows. It could be the "price" was placed on whoever enchanted / built the device when they were building it in the first place.

Like creating a bow that always hits its target... the person who made said bow might have lost a piece of their soul or some of their vision. But whoever uses it can just "use" it

Then again, I'm sure there are some artifacts that extract a price-per-use.
This comment has been removed.
Ruby is gone?

I know the main cast is going to be in Neverland, but I would have imagined they'd occasionally show what's going on in Storybrooke. Perhaps not *every* episode, but maybe every-other episode, devote 1/3rd of said episode to the town coping with recent events.

Like the dwarves setting up a border patrol, people debating if they should just take the cure and go off into the regular world, etc.
The actress is on another show now. Apparently she asked the writers why they weren't giving her more storyline, as had been promised, and they told her the Neverland stuff was eating up too much screen time. They told her it was okay for her to look for work elsewhere, and she did. It's possible she could come back for something small, but her she's on another show now.

I was hoping we wouldn't have to see Storybrooke next season, but since they left Belle behind, I assume there will be storyline there. I'm just not sure what more they can do with Storybrooke right now. However, if they brought back some of those characters, and focus more on character-based plots there, then that could be good.
That's a shame. I liked her character on the show and was wondering why the heck she'd gotten such little screen time lately.

Here is the opening paragraph and some excerpts from the interview she did with TVGuide. She was very gracious in her responses but it seems pretty clear how shitilly they handled it.:

When magic came to Storybrooke at the conclusion of Once Upon a Time's freshman season, there were high hopes for wolf-shifting Ruby (a.k.a. Little Red Riding Hood) and the troubled character's portrayer, Meghan Ory. The Canadian actress was upgraded to series regular for Season 2 and Ruby's back story was the focus of a November episode. Who knew that would turn out to be the character's last significant onscreen appearance? Certainly not Ory, who ultimately got her happily ever after by bolting from Storybrooke to co-star opposite Josh Holloway and Marg Helgenberger in CBS's new sci-fi fall drama, Intelligence.

TV Guide Magazine: How did it come about?

Ory: It was all very crazy and serendipitous. I was under contract for Once, but there have been so many new characters this year that the storyline [executive producers] Eddy [Kitsis] and Adam [Horowitz] wanted to do with Ruby ended up not being able to happen because they decided to take the show in a different way. They are so brilliant, so when they were inspired they had to follow their amazing idea for what they wanted to do with Neverland. I hadn't been in a few episodes — my last was when everyone came back from New York — so I talked to the boys and asked them, 'What's going on? Is everything okay?' And they said, 'We love you, but we have this story that's so huge we don't know where we're going to put you at this moment.' So I said, 'Maybe I should look elsewhere?'

TV Guide Magazine: So how did Intelligence come about?

Ory: My agents spoke with the [Once] producers, who said, 'If she wants to go look for something, that's fine.'

TV Guide Magazine: It seems as though we won't be seeing much of the supporting players who were left behind in Storybrooke while all the leads headed off to Neverland. Keegan Connor Tracy, who plays the Blue Fairy/Mother Superior, has wisely crossed over to Bates Motel, where she's playing Norman's teacher. Who have you spoken with in the cast?

Ory: Everyone has been super supportive. I talked to Beverley Elliott [Granny], who was very upset and worried when she learned that I wasn't going to be in the finale. She emailed me to ask if I was okay.

TV Guide Magazine: Was it strange for you to watch the finale and see Ruby already absent?

Ory: It was. I love Ruby and was wondering if they might CGI a wolf in the background. In my mind she has her own life happening somewhere.
More +
Ugh, that really stinks OuAt. I was losing faith in the writers already, but after pulling that BS I'm quite annoyed at the entire management over there.

Especially if they did as you said: promoting from recurring-to-regular and then saying "never mind"

Yeah they promoted her to series regular then dropped the story arc they promised her. And what's worse, they didn't consult her about it - they made her come to them and ask if she had done something wrong. They told her Neverland was taking up the time they had planned to use for her story and she was free to look for other work. Disgusting.
Regarding #9: I think he didn't put it back together because it was broken, just like Belle was.
This is just sad :) I simply gave up on the last three episodes and now I just read recaps, they are more fun and less time consuming :)
"Kathryn", Anastasia Griffith, got a big part on a better show (like most talented actors that wind up slumming on this dreck) playing Elizabeth Haverford on "Copper". I think she gets better dresses on 'Copper'. (Poor Keegan Connor Tracy didn't make it out of "Bates Motel" first season alive, the Blue Fairy can come back and whip up that spell now! :*( ) I'm surprised you only found 12 things to nitpick - the list has to be a mile long with this being the most inconsistently plotted show on television. It puzzles me that Jane Espensen is at the top of the creative minds behind this show and yet it is still so inconsistent. 'Buffy' and 'Battlestar Galactica' had layers and layers of mythology and plots and neither were ever just blatantly inconsistent.

Forgot how cute Amy Acker was in the creepy role they gave her. If anyone deserved a handsome prince..... They should have given the Emma role to her then maybe this show would be a little more watchable? The biggest blunder this show made was casting of she of exactly three facial expressions ' surprised', ' angry', and 'bored', Jennifer Morrison, in one of the biggest roles. She is so terribly inept and unlikeable in the roles she plays (I always laughed when people questioned her firing from 'House') you just want her character to die already because she takes time and lines away from Lana Parrilla.

They also need to bring back 'Jack' if just because Cassidy Freeman is awesome.
I agree with all this except the Jack recommendation. I haven't seen Jennifer Morrison in anything else, so I'm not sure if her facial expressions are as limited in all her roles, but I am so sick of that downturned mouth exposing crooked teeth, wrinkled up forehead no matter what emotion is being expressed, and her apparent perception that the only way to convey feeling in a scene is to talk at the speed of light. I hate Emma. HATE, I tell you! The only scene in the past 2 years that she was ever any good in was the opening scene of the pilot.
She's on the screen with Lana Parrilla and Parrilla just devours her in about 2 seconds flat. She gives her co-stars nothing to work with. I remember the chemistry Michael Raymond James and Laura Allen had in 'Terriers' and on this show where James should have at least a hint of chemistry with Morrison - she still just gives him the expressionless visage. Its like negative chemistry. If she was killed off I don't think you'd get a single complaint from anyone - you may even get a lot of this season's jumpers to jump back.
Cassidy Freeman is so unlikable in everything.
Wow, guess someone has a problem with the lovely Ms. Freeman - I've never found her particularly unlikeable in anything she's done. (Loved her ever since she and Alessandro Juliani did the fantastic duet of 'How Do We Do' on 'Smallville.) Her show "Longmire" is coming back this weekend and she isn't unlikeable in that. (Unlike Jennifer Morrison; who is quite simply just a terrible actress incapable of conveying any real emotion on the screen. Like watching drywall act.)
I agree with most of them but I have some concerns. Most are just my mind filling in plot-holes like it normally has to do, but I think the reviewer forgot a piece about #6

2 - considering Storybrooke was still *mostly* cut off from the rest of the world via cloaking, it all comes down to whether Emma though to call the Feds. Otherwise, the curse probably prevented the rest of the town (Coroner, Judges, etc) from calling them.

5 - Apparently, even though there was "no magic" some magical artifacts still kind of worked if they were brought through. Regina mentioned she had some weak ones, which she used to power up the Hatter's hat. So perhaps Magic (capital M) didn't follow them through, save for whatever enchanted nicknacks Regina managed to bring with her. So the hearts were similarly magic nicknacks.

5b - As for Graham, perhaps the whole "Emma = True Love Avatar" was the reason. Don't get me started on how ridiculous THAT sentence was considering her personality, past relationships, and views on love. But if we are to accept that, then perhaps she radiated so much love that Graham was feeding off that even without a heart.

6 - Aurora told Mulan she learned that Phillip could be saved / restored from the monster during her time with Cora. Sure, that's a leap in itself since why would Cora tell her puppet that. But, since then I imagine they had a couple of weeks to defeat the monster and revive Phillip. Perhaps Aurora also learned where a spell book (or whatever) was with instructions on how to save Phillip.

Dear OUAT writers. Please attend to the works of Mr Joss Whedon and note that it is possible to write many seasons of TV where *every little thing* has a purpose. That is all.
Babylon 5's J. Michael Straczynski (JMS) is a better example of "every little thing has a purpose" than Whedon.

Don't get me wrong, I love Whedon and I don't recall many plot holes in his shows. But his were less "careful planning" and more "let's remember to wrap this stuff up" Where-as JMS did a LOT of future planning so a lot of the scenes (even minor ones) became important as Babylon 5 went on.
Em, they need not look very far - Whedon's top gun - Jane Espensen - is still writer and producer on this show and the spin-off was entirely her idea.
Those aren't loose ends. They're open-ended story-lines. They might have an ep to explain each one of those later. Like how Neal as Baelfire went to Victorian England, then Never-Land and came back to America in the 90s and is only in his 30s. I know Never-Land time moves differently, but not 70 years differently. They're just balls up in the air until the writers catch one and do something with it.
Actually, many variations of Peter Pan and Neverland say you simply don't age while there. Period.

Hence the fascination with it, you could be a child forever. Assuming you *arrived* as a child, which explains Hook and such.
Yeah, but they explained in Second Star to the Right, when Wendy is taken by the shadow, that time moves faster in Never-Land, so Baelfire would age quicker, not slower while there. Wendy was there overnight, but she said it felt longer.
Here's the thing, this show is a roller-coaster of feelings. I love it for its narrative creativity, while simultaneously hating it for its lack of narrative consistency. S2 was more entertaining than S1, but it was also wildly uneven. I loved the new additions, but I missed the old characters. That seems to be the trend with this show....for every great thing, it has an equally (mind-scratchingly) bad thing. I still enjoy it, but sometimes I wish it had a corporeal form that I could slap from time to time.
This is exactly why I am quitting OUaT. I don't mind at all if a show is ridiculous (hello, TVD) but there needs to be an inherent logic. Potential needs to be used, not wasted, in storyline as well as character development. The only thing I saw develop was Emma's hair. This show is a gigantic stack-up of everything that you can do wrong with the right potential. I am ridding myself of it and try again with the Wonderland-spin off.
Thats why we love it!! All these questions and more being created every second! its nuts! better than some where you can see a so called 'twist' coming a mile off!
OUAT is the kind of show that doesn't obey the rules of logic.
I must agree to many others. As good the first season was, so bad is the second one!
The storyline is awful, the characters are stupid. But my favourite is the Regina/Evil Queen! Just watch the second season and count how often she changes her mind. Nearly every episode she has a new goal in life! Please just see for yourself!
Season 2 was a complete mess, which is probably why viewership has declined substantially over the past few months. Here's a thought: how about show runner who isn't a brain-dead hack? Horowitz and Kitsis must have used some of that diamond dust to cast a spell on the Disney executives. I can think of no other reason they still have jobs.
And GAWD do I miss Jefferson! :-( All of the omissions and dropped stories are egregious, and I don't think there's really any excuse or justification that would make fans of good entertainment feel satisfied. Meanwhile, they had plenty of time to spend an hour on the history of stupid giants. And several episodes where they both introduced and eliminated totally meaningless characters who did not serve the plot whatsoever [Lancelot, Philip (if only we had been so lucky with his two companions), Anita, Alphonse, Gerhardt, aforementioned stupid giants, Joanna, Jack, Robin Hood, and I'm sure I'm leaving a handful out].

I just wish someone with some scruples would have had this idea, because my goodness it could have been great television.
Agreed. This has such potential to be an awesome show. I miss Jefferson too. I hope we see more of him. I know the actor has been filming Captain America, but I hope they can bring him on again once that's done.
I'm not sure these count as dropped storylines, but I'm really interested in finding the answers to them:

13. What happened to Kathryn's true love, the guy who was made of solid gold I think, and also the coach in Storybrooke?

14. What happened to Jack? Because I know this show loves killing people off, but we didn't actually see her die, just get poisoned and left behind so I'm betting she's coming back. I can kind of see her as a love interest for Hook, or maybe some tension for Snowing.

15. What reason is OUAT going to give us for Maleficient hating Aurora, and turning Philip into the beast?

16. How did Regina and Maleficient become friends?

17. Did Cora hate Snow's mom for that trip incident, or was there something more? That's a lot of hatred to hold just for that moment of humiliation. That's like... crazier than Regina hating Snow for the Daniel thing.

18. Rumpelstiltskin said he knew Regina as a baby! I want those flashback scenes!

19. How did Snow's mom go from being a spoiled brat to sweet, wise woman? And was Cora posing as the blue fairy the entire time and the blue fairy never found out? How worthless is the blue fairy?

20. And finally, the question that has bothered me the most... just how racist and stupid is Cinderella that three seconds after her own fairy godmother exploded in front of her, she happily made a deal with Rumpelstiltskin to sell her own baby just so she could go to a party? Most stupid things about OUAT I find make the show just more charming, but that scene really bothered me. There's only a handful of characters of color, did you really need one of the few to explode and have the Aryan princess really not give a damn?
She would be a great rival for Snow. Especially considering her history with Charming's brother.
I was talking about Jack there lol.
More Cassidy Freeman 'Jack' would help this show immensely.
Jack was great, I love that actress.

But, it's implied that the skeleton Emma and Hook found in the giant's lair... with the poison sword next to it... was Jack the Giant Slayer. So it's implied she died and (in typical FTL fashion) decomposed quickly into a bleached-white skeleton.

Then again, I would love to see her again. So perhaps they could explain all of that away (another soldier or something).
I agree, I would love to see more of Jack. She was awesome!
"so how was Regina operating Graham’s heart in Storybrooke—as we saw her do when she needed someone to chase around Greg Mendell’s dad—before the curse was broken? For that matter, how did she keep Daniel’s body preserved all those years?". Remember that even if magic wasn't in Storybrooke, magic could be in objects (remember how Regina activated the hat to take the poisoned apple in 1x21), so this helps me understand.
"how were he and Regina suddenly able to use magic?" all magic comes from diamonds, this restrictive condition is just for fairies, not for everyone.
Yeh my impression about the diamonds was it was typically only for fairies. But Gold + Regina absorbed them because they needed a big magical boost to seal the well. Particularly since they had to "re-learn" magic in this world and weren't running at normal capacity.
I think the wand Gold recharged in the mine was the one he took from Cinderella's fairy godmother- it would run on diamonds. I'm guessing it's like filling up the car with gas- it won't run on diesel.
For a while during this disappointing season I thought Mop Guy was going to end up being Greg's father. I mean, was it just me or didnt that actor look a tad like Mop Guy? Woulda been cooler...than revealing he's been dead all these years.
#9 i was wondering the same thing! LOL
It's amazing how some plots serve just for the sake of an individual episode, and then are abandoned by the writers, and we stop thinking about them as well. At least, I did in most of these cases. And if someone wants to enjoy the show, they'd better develop huge suspension of disbelief, after all it's just a light TV show anyway. So, when I enjoy the show I become quite tolerant, even though I'm not sure "enjoyment" is what I felt this last season, really.

Anyway, even if we tend to mentally drop some story lines for the sake of entertainment, there are some I can't get my mind out of and that keeps bugging me. particularly when I see Amy Acker as Root in Person of Interest, and Giancarlo Esposite as Tom Neville in Revolution. We know these actors are well placed in other shows (well, in Amy's case, she's just a guest star) and really are not likely to come back to OUAT.

When something like that happens, they'd better just kill off a character in one show in order to severe all ties for good. This is why the characters of Tracy Spiridakos (Brynn) in Being Human, and Mark Pellegrino (Jeremy) in Revolution were killed, so Tracy could dedicate to Revolution and Pellegrino, to Tomorrow People, I suppose.

OUAT has so many random and loose characters, with so many actors who are otherwise busy that they should come up with a major catastrophe (an earthquake, or a meteor...) that would wipe out over half the population of Storybrooke, and solve all these pending issues with actors that are never going to come back anyway.

Oh, yes, and, unfortunately, that should include Ruby too, right, because she's on another show, or so I hear.
Love your thinking! It would be great if they got rid of the characters that aren't coming back. Like you said a big catastrophe would work perfect. The season finale when the town was being taken over could have been a great time to kill off a few people.
On #2, I'm betting that the heart came from Regina's secret storeroom of hearts that she has in the cemetery. Its an easy conclusion to come to.
Sudden idea: Maybe we already have the answer to the heart question. When the huntsman (Graham) failed to kill Snow White did he give Regina a heart in a box? Any chance it was the same heart, same box? I'll have to rewatch season 1. Is it obvious the difference between a human heart and an animal one?
Some animal hearts look different, it could be possible to tell.
About our friend Sydney- HE had contact with the outside world to find out about Emma. What else did he find out? If his mirror was the one Regina broke, is he now free to go wherever he likes? And he spied for Regina in FTL- maybe he was working for someone else while he was in Storybrooke?
At a guess- the Boston apartment Katherine was going to rent when she planned to go to law school was Emma's- even though Emma didn't know it- because all the stuff which didn't fit in Herbie was dumped at the curb when she moved out and left no forwarding address. (Landlords don't go for that too much) So when David was going to Boston, he'd have turned Emma's place into a bachelor pad. Funny if she'd stopped back to pick up her stuff and found him there...

Abigail/Katherine and her shining knight Frederick have been holed up in Fred's apartment since the Curse broke, making up for lost time- I'm pretty sure she wasn't even in Storybrooke until Regina needed someone to back up the false memories for David Nolan. And if they found King Midas- does restoring magic mean he has the golden touch back? If we see anyone wearing just 1 glove, I'm betting that's him. Try the bank?
Regarding #6, Cora did tell Aurora that Philip was not dead, but wandering in another dimension. We only don't know how Aurora and Mulan brought him back, but I'm assuming that will be addressed next season.
Ah, Lily, your commentary is tons of fun and I wouldn't trade it for any amount of logic on this show. As for your questions, they're all valid and I too suspect that we shall not get any answers to them. And yet, like you, I'm enjoying the ride, really digging this dark Pan storyline, and excited for season 3.
My questions:
-How does one control a magic bean when once one has arrested one from a giant? Most of the ones to be used opened up regular little hole portals with the sucking power the eventually grabbed one or a few things and then closed up. Also, some of these stayed open minutes upon minutes sucking one or more things into them while others literally opened and closed in seconds when the person decided to just go right through it. And let's not forget the mother of all magic beans that just decided to go ahead on its own right and open up a portal sized for an entire pirate ship because clearly that's what that particular bean was meant for. Why beans? Why?!? (By the way, my own belief in the writers' answer to this question is very similar to my own estimation of the writers' answer to Lily's # 11 about Magic and Diamonds)
-All the other kids. SERIOUSLY. Think about it. Now, I'm not saying that I want a ton of other kids appearing on the show (because I'm fine without it), but these kids aren't doing anything. They should be FREAKING OUT. Either they've spent 26 years in a frozen state at like 9 years old, or they completely grew up in the modern world and now they're parents are suddenly fairy tale characters and they never were, or whatever. And yet, I haven't heard any one of the adults so much as even MENTION any kids besides Henry. These kids have got to be going berserk. And yet poor Henry, the one kid who could try and help the other kids has to swing on a rope swing alone with Granny.
-The shipping industry / Strangers in the town. We had a few strangers in the town this season. The two serving the almighty purpose of anti-magicks and Baelfire are the ones that come immediately to mind. And they were all incredibly noticed, and in the case of the anti-magicks guy, so immediately apparent that everyone noticed immediately. Are you telling me that every article of clothing, piece of food eaten, gun shot, etc... was all made, grown, raised, etc... in this town? I'm sorry, I'm not buying it, meaning that strangers in the city would have to be more common than that. Unless that's what Geppetto used to do. Make houses, chairs, tables, guns, and cars. Sure, that sounds like a hard day's work for an old man with a wooden son.
Maybe only the ripest beans can open the ship-sized portals- maybe they need extra sun that Regina's little Gro-light just couldn't provide- or maybe all the BS we've seen so far makes great fertilizer!
Hi Lily. You seem smart, and I really want someone to argue with about this show. As a rule I just don't think about the logic behind the show because it sends me into fits of rage. I don't care that its supposedly about emotional justice, that is not an excuse, to have huge gaping plot holes.

1: I really would have liked to have some mention of her. The theory that she left doesn't work because you could not leave Storybrooke while the curse was working, and after the curse was broken, I'm going to guess she went off to find Frederick. And they've been locked inside Frederick's apartment, where Frederick has been erasing all her memories of David Nolan.

Now while it would have been good to have a mention of her, the characters were rather preoccupied all season. David first episode in, lost his wife and daughter, which is traumatic. Regina lost her son. And those are only main characters who I imagine would spend time looking for Kathrine/Abigail.

2: The heart probably belongs to some random person on the street Regina killed. I'm doing some mental calculation of how long in season one it was since Ruby found the heart, the season ended. Once season two began, Emma was extremely preoccupied, what with being thrown into another world, so I can't really blame her for forgetting about it.

I can blame the feds. I can also blame the writers, because it would have been really easy to have a brief scene where the feds come in, say they're taking over the investigation, bring them back at the end of the episode and say: "We don't think the culprit is in this town, we'll be handling the case from the home office in Augusta." And leave.

3: Well, Regina was using them in season one to be nefarious. She didn't need them in season two because she could blast open doors with magic.

The plot-hole is why/how did she have them. Gold's the one who owns all the buildings. If anyone should have those keys it should have been him. So, maybe Regina took the time make a key for every lock in Storybrooke, which is possible.

4: He was not returning their calls. I'm sorry, that's the only thing I have to say to that.

5: Hook was given the power to remove a heart by Regina. Remember in Queen of Hearts, Regina enchanted his hook so that he could rip out Cora's heart.

The things you can do with a heart is not a plot hole, its plot convenience, but its not a plot hole.

Well, it is possible that magic traveled from that world to this world, and continued performing whatever spell it had been doing before. Maybe casting a spell on something makes magic embedded it, and not even world hopping can un-do it. Actually, yeah, I think that works because if not, how are they all trapped in time and cursed with a world without magic unless the curses magic was there and working.

And that's why Daniel's body was preserved, and Regina could still control people with hearts. And the magic that keeps an enchanted heart enchanted, also allows you to shove a heart up someone boobs, it'll be sucked in through their sternum and ribs.

Removing a heart does not make you lose emotions. It didn't make Aurora lose emotions, and it didn't make Graham lose emotions. Cora is just a psychopath... who could love her daughter and Rumplestiltskin. ...That's not actually a good explanation. It's a plot-hole.

6: I'm more annoyed that Mulan and Aurora didn't say forget him, and go off to start a lesbian relationship. I love them together. Though I suppose since they're the only people in that land, perhaps its best for them to have one big massive threesome.

7: I don't care. We didn't even see him in season 2. He's just a janitor who doesn't like cutting his hair.

8: Well, if you recall, they're not allowed to be together because dwarfs and fairies have to be virgins, and not think. So, once the curse was broken, I guess they broke up, and Grumpty didn't want to talk about it.

9: Well, to be fair, performing magic in front of her right then would have probably traumatized her more. But he just left it there on the ground, so how did he get it back?

10: Marco does not deserve to be slapped, thank you.

Snow had the right to be mad, Snow was awesome when she drank the sociopath potion. But I hated the whole, "I'm turning evil because I killed someone in self-defense" thing the show had going, so I reject the idea.

11: I didn't actually watch Dreamy, just bits and pieces of it. But I think all fairy-dust comes from diamonds.

There is also magic in fairytale land and maybe that magic makes the diamonds that make fairy-dust. That is the magic Rumplestiltskin, Regina, Cora and Emma use. Fairies can't just use that magic, that's why they have to grind the magic diamonds into fairy-dust. And that's the magic Rumplestitlskin brought with the true-love potion.

Gold stole all the diamonds magic/fairy-dust power with a fairy-wand. The same wand he stole from that useless fairy godmother in The Price of Gold. I presume, fairies can also do that with their wands but because they didn't have them, they had to grind up the diamonds the old fashion way.

12: I don't like the Blue Fairy. Though I suppose her trying to make a cure all season is better than my theory of her stalking Nova and Grumpy to make sure they don't start up another relationship.

I highly doubt the OUAT writers have put as much thought into this as I have. The above is -hopefully, I could be wrong- logical reasons of why things happen the way they do. But its not good that I have to come up with all these answers by myself.

Phew! I let it all out. I feel better. Thank you, Lily. I needed to write that out. Now I can go back to ignoring the lack of logic in peace.

Your theory on the fairy dust/diamonds mirrors my own- I think the wands are either carved FTL diamonds or reconstituted fairy dut, so it would be easy for them to be recharged by the diamonds in Storybrooke. Without wands, the fairies can't easily access that magic. And if the Blue Fairy (who was actually rather condescendingly nasty to Nova in "Dreamy", if you remember that part) wasn't keeping Sister Astrid busy to keep her away from Grumpy, she and Leroy could have taken off on his boat. (Unless maybe Abigail and Frederick stole it to get out of town? LOL)

If the Chief is hooked up with "HQ" it might explain the quick turnaround on the test results...
Lily, what are you doing trying to be all logical where this show is concerned? I had forgotten about some of those, but now I'm gonna try and be all logical too........
"our season with all five of our favorite characters and Prince Charming on the Jolly Roger, (...)" I ALMOST CHOCKED IN MY OWN LAUGHTER.

Ahh Lily, I love you and your wit. Also, what I've learned from this show is never trust the magic skills of the blue fairy...
1. Kathryn's fairytale land knight was seen finding her wrecked car when she first vanished, when their memories were restored it is likely that she reunited with him. As for where she has been, her actress is on the BBC show Copper and probably not available.

2. The Heart was tested for DNA and came back a match to Kathryn. As for where it is now, maybe when the curse was broken Charming had Rumple or Regina put it back in.

3. Regina still has the keys, we saw Henry steal them to get into her magic cache in the mausoleum. Now that everyone knows about her though, they likely had the locks changed.

4. Sidney was locked away in the asylum and is probably powerless though he may have reverted back to the mirror.

5. Certain objects were magical in and of themselves regardless of who was using them. For instance there was the Mad Hatter's hat which could still operate as a portal. the hearts seem to be one of these magical items and could have possibly been used by anyone with the knowledge of how to do so. Meanwhile, Regina said that she kept some magic around but it was finite. This is how Daniel was kept and also how Malificent was kept in dragon form.

6. When Mulan restored Aurora's heart she also mentioned that she may have a way to restore Phillip, it must have worked.

7. Maybe he was an ogre that got pulled to the real world during the curse but is mostly mindless.

8. Grumpy must have made peace with the fact that whether she is a nun or a fairy, Nova has a different path than his. Plus he has had his hands full with the digging for magic diamonds and working on the beans.

9. When Gold saw that Belle could not be helped, he left Chip in pieces, maybe to remind him of his broken heart.

10. They will likely pick up on the dark heart story next season only now it seems that Snows path to redemption will be shared by Regina.

11. Not all magic comes from diamonds. Some people have magical abilities such as Rumple, Regina, and Cora. However, the magic dust that comes from the diamonds are required for some magic spells and to boost the strength of magic users.

12. Its possible that it takes time to make the potion or it required the magic dust which Rumple and Regina took most of when trying to stop Cora from entering storybrooke through the well.
Since the DNA results were probably faked, I still hold to my original theory that the heart was just a random one pulled out of Regina's heart locker. Unless Dr Whale had one hanging around from his experiments...

When Belle the amnesiac mashed the cup, Gold was practically crying. My guess is that he couldn't even stand to look at the cup for a while. (Magical backlash as well as emotional? who knows?) The spell to restore the cup could have been worked at any time, but it wasn't worth doing if the relationship which it symbolized couldn't be restored. The Blue Fairy's potion had to be drunk from a cup that meant something to the one drinking it- but it was Rumplestiltskin's cup in FTL, not Belle's. So he had to be wondering whether it would work.
I really hate that there are so many loose ends in this show, they prevent it from being a great show. I really want to know what happened to Katherine, I assume she found her man because we saw him working in the school as a janitor but who knows with OUAT
I agree with the memory cure. I love that even Rumpel was just like, "really? little convenient don't you think?"
I wanted to know what happened to Cinderella and her prince. The curse breaks, everyone remembers who they are, and everyone just accepts Charming and Snow to be the leaders of the town? There are other princes around who have an equally valid claim to ruling, but they just mysteriously disappear as soon as everyone remembers they might have a claim to leadership. Did Charming and Snow go around killing all potential rivals, so everyone id so scared of them they don't dare point out that they might not actually be the automatic leaders of all kingdoms and races?
Cinderella and her prince are home changing diapers for their new little princess; maybe even arranging marriage alliances since that's a classic royal-type thing to do. Or arguing over whether to go back to FTL, or stay here in Storybrooke where she can get Pampers?
If they want to arrange marriage alliances, I'm thinking they better go back to FTL. The only royal I can remember they might hitch their daughter to is Henry, and that seems to me cruel and unusual fate >.<
true that, there are many princes..
Haha. This is actually a really valid point!
In the Enchanted Forest, Charming and Snow were the leaders of the resistance against Regina. It is likely that this made them the leaders in the eyes of the people, even the other royals.
Valid point. But maybe they only resisted her because it was Snow's kingdom that Regina was ruling? And Charming opposed her because Love. If Regina had taken over a different kingdom, who knows if the other royals would have stepped up to the challenge.

Unless Regina did try taking over other kingdoms and I forgot?
I am not sure if she actually tried to take over other kingdoms but her reputation for evil was far reaching and likely caused fear in the other kingdoms, so much so that the other royals supported Snow and Charming in the hopes that they could stop Regina before she attempted to spread her power.

In Storybrooke, Regina was still a threat so Charming and Snow became the de facto leaders as they were the most experienced in dealing with her.

Besides all this, Snow and Charming were beloved even in other kingdoms. If I remember correctly Snow and Charming were at Cinderella's wedding, they were friends. This may have kept any power struggles to a minimum. Of course not all kingdoms respected their power as Aurora and Mulan did not know of them. Mulan sure as hell did not respect Snow and nearly took an beating multiple times for acting against her.
that's also true, since the other princes/princesses seemed a bit more fluffy and prince charming and snow the only ones that were.. kinda badass. compared to the others that is.
I would argue that Cinders going dammit, I will get to that ball and the prince no matter what was kinda baddass. :P
I always wanted to like this show more than I actually did. Most modern Fairy Tales just can't grab that balance of fantastic imagery and dark melancholy that makes real fairy tales so great. Also, really pissed about this forthcoming Alice adaptation. They made her an adult, an action girl, and gave her a love interest? Bullshit.
Actually, Alice is suppose to be an evil queen and another character is the hero.
I'm talking about 'Once Upon A Time In Wonderland'. You're thinking of a different forthcoming adaptation from NBC. Incidentally, there's another forthcoming adaptation from the CW wherein Wonderland is a world beneath L.A. and Alice is a hardboiled detective. The modern world has shot Alice to hell.
Load More Comments