Once Upon a Time: Pulling the Strings

The promos did not do "That Still Small Voice" justice; Sunday's episode of Once Upon a Time was a sterling example of the show at its best. ("At its best" = like a Disneyland charactor actor: gorgeous, enchanting, but operating on dream logic and possibly insane.) While the episode did go on a tangent with Jiminy Cricket's backstory, the tangent was a thoroughly entertaining mini horror movie, and the ending of the episode cemented the dual realities of the series (at long last).

The fun started when the most handsome sheriff on TV deputized Emma by giving her a badge—which she clipped to her waistband, triggering a sinkhole to appear on the outskirts of Storybrooke and settling the debate of whether or not she's actually wearing pants or whether the costume people merely have her squat in a bathtub of dark blue paint to cut costs because Mama, those jeggings are TIGHT.

The entire town gathered at the sinkhole, where Regina promised to bulldoze the new safety hazard and pocketed a shard of something. Henry called Regina out on lifting a piece of rubble and accused her of hiding something, and then she gave his child psychiatrist an ultimatum: Get rid of Henry's fairytale theory or YOUR UMBRELLA WILL BE ALL YOU HAVE LEFT! (Jiminy cricket reference)

Because Jiminy Cricket has relatively shallow folkloric roots (he is an original, minor character from the 1883 novel Le avventure di Pinocchio), the writers went to town on his backstory. OUAT's Jiminy started out human, and his parents were as scathing a takedown of Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter as I've ever wanted to see.

The family worked as traveling puppeteers/con artists, which distressed young Jiminy, but not enough to run away or stand up to his parents when he was still living with them as a 40-year-old man. The idea that he couldn't shake those steampunks as a full grown adult was beyond ridiculous, but the parents were well cast and had impressive comic timing.

Fairytale Jiminy (I cannot believe what I'm typing right now) was forced to turn to Rumpelstiltskin to free himself from his parents, who suggested splashing them with the contents of a dark vial and then Rumpelstiltskin would "come and collect them." It was a hell of a thing to depict Jiminy Cricket as so cowardly he would turn to murdering his parents. If this can be called murder:

That was probably one of the most frightening/darling murders I've ever seen on TV. This young couple drank puppet juice and then sat down and held hands while they morphed into marionettes? Kind of adorbs.

In real life, Jiminy/Archie caved to Regina's threats and told Henry that his fairytale theory was a delusion and that if he didn't give it up he'd have to be locked away, an emotional trauma to those of us hoping the writers would write Henry right off the show. (Would Emma visit him at an asylum every other episode? Don't tease me!) This caused Henry to run straight into the sinkhole with a bag of no-name candy bars. Regina and Emma teamed up to recover him and Archie ran straight in after him, risking certain death yadda yadda. The fact is, the fun sinkhole/bizarre puppet murder world of Jiminy Cricket was nothing compared to the few brief minutes we spent with these guys:

You know why they cast Josh Dallas? Because he GLOWS around Ginnifer Goodwin. Together they have more chemistry than ten thousand beakers on ten thousand Bunsen burners. "John Doe" still has no memory or connection with his past, including his "wife," but told Margaret she was the only thing that seemed real to him. The total on-screen time they shared was maybe three minutes' worth, but it made my effing day. Although Margaret turned in a resignation letter at the hospital (Margaret don't play with married men), the promos for next week point to an episode all about them, to which I say, HELLS YES.

Emma managed to wrangle her way down an airshaft and snatch up Henry moments before the elevator he and Archie were trapped in plummeted to Kingdom Come. Emma locked eyes with Archie and said "I'm sorry" right before the elevator fell, but the wily child psychiatrist hooked onto her with his umbrella, so she and Henry didn't have to watch him fall to his death. Still, Emma: You're grizzled as hell, girl.

The fairytale storyline concluded with Jiminy wishing on a star and a fairy appearing and turning him into a grasshopper. A grasshopper with subtitles is our happy ending. I don't know why the fairy was dressed like a hooker, I don't know why he didn't just wish for a horse, but now we all know that Gepetto got his love of puppets from coming home and finding his young parents turned into marionettes. Let's take from that what we can.

The most important development of "That Still Small Voice" came after Henry was pulled out of the ground, when Regina threw the shard she'd nabbed earlier back down the airshaft, where it fell and fell and fell until it landed on Snow White's glass coffin. This was our first confirmation that the fairytale world is real and that Regina remembers it, and it came at a crucial time, after the word "psychosis" had been bandied about. Even if it seems illogical that physical elements of the fairytale world would remain, the ultimate progress of the storyline will depend on concrete physical evidence. This reveal was a perfect ending and re-dedication to Once Upon A Time's addictive kind of crazy.

Questions:

… Jiminy Cricket hinted at a custody battle. Season 1? Season 2?

… The thing down the airshaft: The glass coffin, right? Is everything else down there, too? I thought she transported the characters? HELP!

… According to Emma's lie-detection skills, Regina doesn't really love Henry. She also doesn't know he's Snow White's grandson. So why is she so protective of him?

… Did the Sheriff defy Regina by making Emma the deputy, or is this a joint effort to keep tabs on her?

… Does Lana Parilla have "the sexiest lips in the biz"?

… Next week's promo: Will Snow and Prince Charming get together?! AIIEEE can't wait a week!!!

It was Snow White's coffin under the mines. The same from the pilot.
I can hardly wait for Ruby's "backstory". It should be a doozie.
While watching I assumed it was the mirror you know 'mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?' but you saying its the coffin makes more sense so we shall see!
There were scenes of the castle with that dark glass. I was thinking it was from Regina's castle. That the dark hole is her castle - the starting point of the entire curse.
Remember that the mirror is actually a person. They showed him in an earlier episode.
I was thinking the same thing. My first thought was magic mirror, but the idea of the coffin makes just as much sense.
I find myself being more interested in the fairy tale side story than what's actually going on in Storybrook. Jiminy's story was the best one so far.
I liked the episode especially for Marc Isham's score. His music for Jiminy was beautiful..
And the music for Henry too. The variation we heard while Henry started exploring the mine was so pretty I rewound and listened a couple of times. I hope this show will distribute Isham's score at some point.
I liked the episode because I love the show, but I was never a huge Pinocchio fan so I didn't go in with high hopes for a Jiminy-centric episode. I can say that I loved seeing David and Mary Margaret's interactions, aside from that I was quietly rooting for the mine.
Staff
I had a pennant flag that said "Mine" on it and another one that said "Thar He Blows"
Ha! At least one person shares my beliefs, apparently it's uncouth to dislike a kid, even a fictional one.
@CarlosR628891

I agree about the little mistakes being distracting. You forgot to add the remark from Gepetto about not being able to let the hook down without a person or it would destroy the shaft - Yes if miners since the 16th century had never figured out that it's not the human on the hook that stops it from swinging around and catching onto something but simply ANY mass on a string will stabilize it. Of course you send down a human to save someone, but not just to be dead weight on a string.
OK, it's TV and its a fairy tale. Still, there's a collapsing mine with tremors strong enough to shake the town, so the annoying kid runs straight into it. Right. Then a bunch of supposedly smart adults use explosives (!) on an unstable mine with people trapped inside. Right. Then they send someone down with no experience with mining / spelunking whatsoever, even though ex-miners are right there. Right. Darwin awards, anyone?

Then the rescuees come up without the slightest bit of dust or dirt on them. Right. Then, last shot, we see this glass coffin (supposedly) when we should be seeing a trashed elevator cabin. Right. (Not to mention the rain machine scene with bright sunshine. Duh.)

Most annoying episode so far. I was so distracted by those stupidities I didn't even keep track of the story.

Oh, and what was that thing the kid found in the mine, again?
Like you said - It's a friggin' fairy tale! There are plenty of shows on the Science Channel if you don't want any deviation from reality. I wonder why you watch the show if you can't even suspend your disbelief for 45 minutes.

I was a big fan of "24", and there were way more "holes" in that supposedly "realistic" drama, but I was still able to overlook them for the sake of entertainment. Again, when I want a dose of the real world, I tune into the Science Network.

I suggest you watch something else on Sundays, because I think after this most excellent episode, there will be more "inconsistencies" that you will not be able to reconcile and that will "annoy" you even more.

Best episode yet, and they all have been very good. When you look at all the "new" shows this or any recent year, the "originality factor" and creativity of this series is way off the charts. Not that I am saying this is the best show ever, but it is certainly one of the best shows this year, or in recent years. Not a reality show, not a remake, not a rip off, not a formulaic show, not pretending to be anything else than it is - pure family entertainment. Well written and equally well acted.
More +
Whoa, easy there! My point entirely you miss. I'm perfectly happy with "alternative universes", with fairy tales, super powers, time warps, monsters, or ray guns. That's why I watch OUAT, it's original, as you said. But keep it consistent! If an elevator cage plummets to the ground, I want it to remain there, or have it explained otherwise. Too much to ask?
Staff
Yeah the day for night was extremely annoying, in films I find it inexcusable but TV deadlines are so tight I let it slide. I'm sure anyone with any experience in spelunking/engineering/physics was screaming at the TV. My ignorance in this regard, for once, was bliss.

I *think* Henry found a sizable shard of the glass coffin..but how that could possibly be identified is beyond my imagining.
Totally agree the 3 minutes of Snow and Charming made my week so awesome and I can't wait for more, I am loving the roller-coaster ride that is OUAT!
On the coffin, I agree with everyone who said that as time is passing, more and more of the old fairy tale world is coming back. And once all the fairy tale chracters gain their memories, the city will look a lot more like the fairy tale world

And I think Regina's so protective of Henry because she's kind of using him as a replacement for the old Henry, her dad. She wants someone to love in place of Henry, but as much as she tries she doesn't actually love him.

I think that she is trying to love him but like she was told before she enacted the curse-it woudl leave a hole inside of her she would never be able to fill. I think that she honestly thought that adopting a child would make her happy and that she wouldn't feel alone in the new world. But being that she is a)the only one (except for Mr. Gold I suspect) who remembers anything and b) she killed her own Dad- she is alone and still kinda miserable. THe things she thought would bring her happiness did not and ironically she has probably lost her only chance at happiness by enacting the curse,
Sinkhole? Where did that come from? Clearly this is an abandoned mine which suffered a collapse. Where did the idea of a sinkhole come from?
Staff
That's Regina's explanation, but some of us (aka, me) think its the power of the curse being broken deep underground that's created a giant sinkhole.
Wait a second...Henry is Regina's father and Emma is Snow Whites daughter...I thought we got that in Ep. 2??
Staff
Henry is the same name...there seems to be a prevailing belief that Henry is the reincarnation of Henry, Regina's father, but all the characters in Storybrooke were not re-born there, they were transported, and Henry is Emma's kid, and she was transported as a baby onto a highway. So he's a namesake, not an old soul. And Regina doesn't know Emma is Snow White's kid. I put all this information in the cube of my brain that used to know how to multiply fractions.
I don't always agree with everything you say, but I every single word you wrote about Mary Margaret and David (Snow White and Prince Charming or Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin) could have been written by me. I was thinking the exact same things! Those 3 minutes made the episode for me.
I think this is quickly becoming one fo my favourite shows. I cant wait until next week! Bring on more Charming and Snow!!!!!!
Love the episode and love the show!
Custody battle? Only if they stay in the real world. would be really funny to see Emma in fairy tale land, though :P

I think that "breaking the curse" means sort of reverting the world to the place all the characters originally came from and bit by bit objects from the fairy tale world will start appearing. Maybe sort-of like the return of the crickets to Storybrooke.

Regina is so protective of him because she desperately wants to love him (which is imo why she named him Henry in the first place), but she just can't feel it.

Not sure about the sheriff just yet. Regina seemed way too cool about Emma being a deputy. She didn't even threaten to fire him.

Next week's promo: DRAGON!!!!!!!!! :D
Staff
HELL YES it would be funny to see Emma in fairy tale reality. Season 2? Season 3?
I think part of Regina's attachment to Henry is the fact that he is the reincarnation of her father (or they at least share the name, but I think that's too big a coincidence).

Awesome episode, and an awesome review!

(and I'm also just loving the Snow White-Prince Charming storyline, can't wait for next week!)
Staff
I think he's just a namesake, actually. None of the other characters have been reincarnated, they've been cursed and transported. And after all, if he was the reincarnation of her dad, wouldn't he love her and vice versa?
Someone may have addressed this earlier, but "no name" candy bars? Those looked to me to be some delish Apollo bars from Lost.

Also, Lily, I got rid of my TV almost three years ago. Thanks for sucking me back in with your entertaining recaps.
Staff
Awww thanks!! The Apollo candy bars is a cool Easter Egg. I love it when writers send secret high fives to the fans.
"this was our first confirmation that the fairytale world is real and that Regina remembers it"

This has bugged me from the start that it wasn't obvious to everyone that Regina was completely aware of the plan the whole time. I knew it straight away. But you guys should know it now that they SAY IT OUTRIGHT AT THE START OF EVERY SHOW. Honestly, do you not watch the 'previously on once upon a time' bit? They literally say that Regina knows and show a picture of her on screen.
Staff
hahahaha you're totally right about the promos, they do say it flat out. I guess that goes to show the popularity of DVRs and the unpopularity of promos! Thanks for the reality check!
One of the best episodes so far, and yet, further proof the little brat playing Henry cannot act worth a damn. Couldn't the others stars of this wonderful show just interact with a tennis ball on a stick, with the lines read by someone just off-screen? It'd be pretty much the exact same thing and the viewer would be saved from Henry's whining, annoying voice. Plus, tennis ball with googly-eyes? Epic!
Staff
Yes. Letter writing campaign! I will write the first fifty! Tennis Ball re cast NOW!
I loved this episode. Snow White/Prince Charming and Emma/Henry are my favorite relationships to watch evolve, but throw in Regina's wily manipulations and some good fairytales and seriously - this show is GOLD. One of my favorite episodes yet! (I like the idea of a custody battle... o.O)
Gnarly episode.
Pongo from 101 dalmatians! Will they dare bring Cruela?!
Staff
I seriously take issue with 101 Dalmations being considered a fairy tale. Its set in like the 20s-30s? There's no supernatural element to it that I can think of. Hopefully its just a Disney shout out and they don't explore that line further.
My theory is that since Emma arrived and started helping Henry with Operation Cobra Storybrooke, like Henry said in the last few minutes of this episode, has been changing. First, the clock started ticking. Second, Prince "Charming" James/John Doe/David woke up from his coma. I believe that not only are the characters of Fairytale land becoming more aware of who they are, but the setting Storybrooke is also slowly turning back into the way it was as Fairytale land. Snow White's glass coffin is just another part of the fairytale setting merging with Storybrooke.
Jiminy Cricket now joins Giles and Dumbledore on the list of wise mentors with shady pasts.
"..wise mentors with shady pasts. Well I think those are the people that actually learn something and are able to share... others have shady pasts and they just remain stuck there...
Love it.
1. Custody Battle - I think that it is a threat, a darn good one at that, BUT... I believe that *hopefully* the worlds will bleed together slowly and a custody battle may not even happen. In the case the world meshing will be slower. i say Season 2 sweeps.

2. When I saw the 'thing' at the bottom of the shaft, I had no idea what it was. Watching the last clip from the end and pausing. I would say it is the coffin. Help indeed. Someone needs to start mapping out storybrooke.

3. I agree with the ideas that it was all for show and that she needs Henry to believe that she cares to use him for later. Shield, bargaining chip, key to stopping Rumpelstiltskin etc.

4. I am really hoping that the sherrif is the Hunter from Red Riding Hood and not the Huntsman from Snow White, but he hasn't been revealed to us and I believe it will be awesome! I am voting him to be on Operation Cobra.

5. Too many good looking women with luscious lips, MOVING ON!

6. I believe they will, because as this show grows, the cast of characters will too.

SPOILER ALERT

They have already cast Belle, from Beauty and the Beast. Also confirming Gaston, Belle's father, and of course the Beast. No word on the witch yet and I believe there wasn't going to be any dancing dishes and any of that like. I would love to be wrong, we'll see.

They have promised Hansel and Gretel, and one of my personal favorites, Aladdin and Genie. There are rumors about Ariel out there but who knows. If Aladdin is in, you can only imagine the almighty sorcerer Jafar debilitating his allies, Rajja to a kitten (also in Storybrooke) Abu to a toy monkey (also can be in Aladdin's place in SB, 'Al' for short, maybe 'Din" or how bout 'Laddie') and Carpet to a pile of threads. (Can be the carpet in the living room, den or hallway, OR in the Shaft pinned under the Coffin hmmmm)

There are just so many different possibilities. Maybe Jafar taught Maleficent how to transform herself into a Dragon, he can become a giant King Cobra.

Ariel could play Henry's Music teacher or Phys Ed teach, or Swim Team Coach. Parent teacher night, which mom does Henry bring? Ooh Drama.

Robin hood is a folk tale but also a Disney tale. I love this show. Can't wait to see how it goes. Not claiming anything I said will happen, just some ideas :)
Staff
Dancing dishes! What an image,that would be fantastic. Also I'd love to see them work in Rapunzel.
I think that Regina named Henry after her father because she wanted to replace him in her heart. At the same time if she did allow herself to love Henry then she would also allow for the possibility of another loss of the same magnitude she felt with her father. I'm thinking that would be her third or fourth, since I'm banking that Snow White caused the loss of either Regina's husband and/or biological child.
I think Regina honestly loves Henry, as much as someone missing a chunk of her soul can love something. He was the happy ending that she did all of this for.
1. I don't know about a custody battle. More like a cage match, But it was a good threat.

2. I think you are right. I thought it was the thing that Emma was transported in, but I am often wrong. I bet there are lots of juicy bits hidden about - OR - now that Emma is breaking the spell, starting to crash through.

3. Two words: Meal Ticket.

I suspect she knows there is a nasty battle on the horizon and little Henry will make a dandy pint-sized shield.

4. There was some serious/scathing unspoken dialog in the looks they shared, for sure. If it is a part of the plan, maybe he went off-script? Regina did NOT look amused.

5. Nope. I can't think of any chicks I want to trade spit with off the top of my head. That guy who plays James/John Doe it more like it for me.

6. You are so right about the sizzle between these two actors/characters. It is a beautiful thing to behold; let us hope the writers don't jack it up.
I didn't like this episode as much as the others but it was okay. As for your question about Regina loving Henry, I think two things were at play during the episode. Regina does care for Henry but she doesn't love him. Also, she had a major audience to watch her reaction. If she wasn't worried about her son, everyone would be suspicious so she had to pretend to be nearly distraught.
-The custody battle is definitely going to happen and probably in season 2? I was thinking that maybe when she wins the custody battle the spell will be broken?

-Definitely a coffin :). And maybe more..

-I think the Sheriff and Regina have a complicated relationship.. she is probably blackmailing him somehow.. So he was defying Regina because he wants to help Emma.

-I don't think Snow and Charming are gonna get together yet ! Too early.

Overall this episode was awesome :D and the Jiminy Cricket storyline they came up with was sad but very imaginative. Next Sunday can't come fast enough XD!
Staff
I would not be surprised if the custody battle/spell are eventually intertwined.
I am so on board with this show that it's kind of funny. If they next episode focused on a construction worker in San Francisco and didn't even mention Storybrooke, I would find a way to justify it to myself as a legitimate part of the show.

With that preamble, needless to say, I LOVED this episode. Questions first:

-I'd love to see a fight over Henry towards the end of season 2. It needs the build-up, also, Emma needs more town support to stand any chance.

-Glass Coffin FTW. Everything down there, too (I think). I don't think it's a future thing, I think it's more of a she-joined-the-worlds-together-and-now-they-live-here-until-they-can-magic-themselves-back-and-apart-again-deal (or so my imagination tells me).

-Public image AND let's not forget that without Henry egging Emma on, she would probably let the whole fairy tale thing slide. Thus another PR reason to look on and care for Henry as the best Mommy in town (plus, she IS the Mayor).

-I think we'll see more of this later down the line. Firstly, there's obviously a bit of those-jeans-are-way-tight-girl-and-you-look-'em-good-ness going on with the Sheriff (forgive the common and menial approach to that last statement). Also, with the relationship between the Sheriff and the Mayor there definitely is something deeper going on. It was obvious he hadn't told her OR that she is very good about keeping up the image that the two are not in cahoots. Regardless, I think more can be expected on that front. Too soon to tell.

-Lana Parilla, pretty and her lips aren't bad, but I do not place on her that moniker. I would probably give that to Anne Hathaway.

-Don't watch promos. I don't like to ruin the surprises for the following week.

As for other things: Those below, totally got and LOVED the Pongo reference.

Totally got and LOVED the Apollo bar.

I totally LOVE Mary Margaret and Prince Charming together. They are just as cute as two cuddlebugs in a puddle of happiness (or some other nauseatingly sentimental phrase).

Lastly, I truly LOVED this background story to Jiminy Cricket. It's EXACTLY what this show needs to capitalize on to be successful. They'll run out of the Snow White/Cinderella/Sleeping Beauty/Little Red Riding Hood/Popular Fair Tales Everyone Knows before too long. Best actually is to intentionally space them out so you can still use some of them in future seasons. But after that, can you take a fairy tale creature like Jiminy Cricket that no one knows anything about other than he is a conscience and make a good story out of it? That's exactly what they did here, and if this is an example of future stories, I can only expect good things to come. Awesome.
"cute as two cuddlebugs in a puddle of happiness"

I am so stealing this!

(I have a furry little puddle of purry happiness in my lap right now.)

And yes, I have to agree about the Jiminy back-story adding some much needed gravitas to the show. I was expertly acted. I found the 40-year man-child truly disturbing, the dude played it tragically straight against his malevolent clownish parents. Great counterpoint. More captivating mini-plays like this and more people will be on board.
I can't say this for sure, as I'd have to re-watch previous episodes to really know, but this may have been my favorite fairy tale side of an episode so far this season. I really enjoyed the Jiminy Cricket story. This may also have been the first time I thought the fairy tale was more enjoyable than the present time story.
Anyone else catch that Dr. Hopper named his dalmation dog Pongo? (101 dalmations reference)
Glad someone else noticed that. It made me smile.
I had no idea what the thing down the shaft was. Just looked like a bunch of bloody glass to me.
Love the Show. But PLEASE.. what mother would allow anybody to use tnt on an unstable tunnel her son is in??? I dont think she hoped to get rid of him this way. I am still thinking, that Regina could have the greatest fairytale end of all - the villain that becomes a hero in the end because of the love for - well in this case - her child. Maybe she does love him, and this is becoming the main reason for her to keep the curse alive, because otherwise she will lose him forever.
Only a psychopath or sociopath would call for explosives in a completely unstable mine shaft. No sane person with an explosives license would do it, either.
Also, I guess it makes sense that Regina doesn't know that Henry is Snow's grandson, since she doesn't know that Emma is Snow's daughter.

But I'm sure it'll make one hell of an episode when she finds out!
Custody battle is probably season 2 since for Emma to win she would need to establish herself, which she is doing, but I think it'll ultimately take time.

Maybe some stuff got through and that's why the glass coffin was there. Or ONLY the glass coffin is there because the evil queen is planning on using it, so she transported it too!

I think Regina's either a really good actor, or she's protective out of habit.

I think the Sheriff is defying the mayor. She seemed pretty pissed when he told her that Emma was his deputy. But then again she warmed up to the idea pretty quickly 'cause she kept calling Emma "Deputy" and she didn't put up much of a fight when she found out.

I really hope Snow and Prince charming get together! (You're completely right about how much their scenes overshadowed so much of the episode:P)

Staff
Here is my logic: I think she didn't know, because obviously Emma clipping the badge to her belt caused the sinkhole disruption, and her instinct all along has been to run Emma out of town. So involving her as deputy, while it gives her power over Emma, is nowhere near as ideal as excising her from Storybrooke. So now the question is, why is the deputy flouting her authority and being Emma's new bff?
are all fairytale parents bad or what? If you'd get a magic potion that would keep you safe from the plague wouldn't you at least wait for your kid to get home to drink it with him!?

but anyway... i belive is more likely that making Emma the deputy was a joint effort to keep tabs on her activities and way to control her 'cause now she has to obey the mayor's requests.

i couldn't make out what was down the airshaft but i think the best bet is as you said the glass coffin. also i totally agree that the joe doe/snow white part of the episode was waaay more interesting than the whole henry/jiminy cricket's bit.

did anyone else notice the genie's lamp next to the creepy dolls/parents? was it just a random prop or was it a hint of what is yet to come in the story?
Staff
"If you'd get a magic potion that would keep you safe from the plague wouldn't you at least wait for your kid to get home to drink it with him!? "--LOL

It is starting to see that the curse actually sent everyone through time. Fairytale world was not some other dimension but in the distant past. The town is built on the site of the kingdom.
GREAT EPISODE! No television show has the right to be so wildly entertaining. I really liked the backstory they created for Jiminy Cricket. The writers have mostly just been putting a cool twist on fairytales we all know, but this was truly original. I'm not sure why he couldn't be an arbiter of conscience as a human, but that's not important (maybe crickets are the most moralistic of insects?). I'm also beginning to think Rumpelstiltskin is going to be involved in mostly everyone's stories. This guy is EVERYWHERE! No wonder he can spin straw into gold, because he seems to have masterly interwoven himself into all the main characters lives.

This episode also answered a few lingering questions. Regina KNOWS! I guess most of us thought this already, but now we have a definite confirmation. The second I saw Regina surreptitiously pick up that piece of glass, I was like "It's gotta be Snow White's Coffin". Only my dog heard heard me say this, but he gave me a knowing look of agreeance. This also means the two worlds are more physically connected than we thought. I guess there's no magic wardrobe or mirror that can transport them back (sigh). I'm not sure if everything is down there, but I think with Emma sticking around, more things are bound to pop up (reemerge?).

I agree with Talesin23 take on Regina's feelings toward Henry. She is trying to fill that whole in her heart that can never be filled. She may not love Henry, but she seems to have the maternal instinct to want to protect him. Which brings me back to my crazy theory of Snow White somehow being indirectly responsible for the death of her child. I could be totally wrong, but it would make sense.

"Did the Sheriff defy Regina by making Emma the deputy, or is this a joint effort to keep tabs on her?" - Joint effort. Definitely.

I said this in a previous post, but I will reiterate my love of Snow White and Prince Charming budding re-relationship. "AIIEEE can't wait a week!!! " - My sentiments exactly.
Its Lana Parrilla and yes I think she does have the sexiest lips in the biz! :D
I thought the Tee Tiny Stripper w/Heels was TinkerBell LoL!
No! Its the Blue Fairy from Pinnochio!
Oh yeah, I thought I recognized her. She dances at Ta-Tas on Friday nights!!
Staff
Got to love the shrimp cocktail they do down at the Ta-Tas.

Nice review :) i totally enjoyed the episode and love the way that the two worlds have started linking up.. I cant wait for next week's episode...
No-name candy bar = Apollo bar from Lost :)
Staff
Good eye! Firsties go to tanner29 for mentioning the Apollo bar. I love the little shout outs, and I think they could string me along for 6 years at the current level of intrigue, I just hope they don't leave us heartbroken with a vague ending. But with a premise this clear: good, evil, only one can win- they've definitely made a satisfying conclusion almost inevitable.
I agree it was the glass coffin. And it was used as a symbolism for the whole thing i think. The truth buried deep under ground, now starting to emerge as Emma helps the diferent people.

Loved the whole Jiminy Cricket story.

And didn't they show us in an earlier episode, that Regina adopted Henry to fill that hole in her chest, caused by taking the heart of her own father (which Henry is named after). Except it never can be filled and she never can love him, which she refuse to acknowledge.

Also, am i the only one who really doesn't care about Snow White and John Doe? it was the only boring part about this episode, the 3 minutes they showed up.
*GASP*

I was absolutely loving your comment until the end. Spot on analysis, intelligent observations (totally agree with you about Regina), and then you lay down an incomprehensible bombshell. How can you not love these two!? They have so much chemistry, if I didn't know any better, I'd think Josh and Ginnifer are secretly in love with each other. I might be the only one, but those paltry three minutes were my favorite part of this episode.
here here.
Staff
They did show that she named Henry after her father, but if she's an evil sorceress (and knows it) why would she balk at acknowledging her dislike of the kid/getting him out of her hair? Why convince him he's wrong about this fairy tale theory and not just let him get conveniently disappear in the sinkhole?
After I typed my previous response it occurred to me that since Mr. Gold brought Henry to Regina, there maybe some sort of a back door or fail-safe or doomsday device within the spell. Maybe Gold told Regina to keep Henry safe at all costs...

Some end game yet to be revealed?
"You know why they cast Josh Dallas? Because he GLOWS around Ginnifer Goodwin. Together they have more chemistry than ten thousand beakers on ten thousand Bunsen burners."

Holy Crap I Totally agree!! I was just saying it, after I watched this episode that they were cast PerFEcTly. They just.......fit. SO WELL. You can't help but root for them.

Also, I agree, those parents (especially the mom) had a very awesome crazy Helena Bonham Carter/Tim Burton thing going on.

And I ALSO agree on that blue fairy. How the hell does she fly with those knockers??

I can't wait for the next episode. I have fallen hopelessly in love with this show.
Boob fairy. They are floatation devices filled with the fairy equivalent of helium.
Yeah, I'm not normally a sucker for romance but daaamn, those two are well cast. The "inexplicable" love would be incredibly corny if they couldn't pull it off and make you believe it. As the writer said, it made my effing day.
is a relly good show
I noticed the candy bar right away, and yeah I think that The glass from snow white coffin, I enjoed this epsiode it was good.
The candy bar was an Apollo bar. An easter egg for us Losties.
I thought that candy bar looked familiar. Probably tastes like disappointment.
Staff
"No, it's a metaphor. It represents a lack of payoff."
"That's the meaning of Christmas?"

• 8:30 pm