Once Upon a Time: Snackrifices

Once Upon a Time S01E21: "An Apple Red as Blood"

You guys called it: Henry is apple-dead and I hope you're happy! Actually, I am very, very happy about this turn of events. And not because I dislike Henry (the weary whippersnapper has grown on me, it's hard not to feel sympathetic for a 10-year-old dealing with a mother who's as dense as her pants are tight), but because **MAGIC**! And how incredible that the magic apple works, even if you cut it up, sugar it down, bake it in a dough. It also dawned on me last night that Henry is not nearly as jazzed about Emma being his mom as he is about her magically saving his town. Hence his risking both their lives and steering the car into a tree instead of allowing her to raise him in a series of cheap motels, waking up each morning to the hum of an air conditioner and Emma attaching her false lashes in the reflection of a Jim Beam bottle.

This poor kid. How did they get the car out of that ditch? Did they walk back into town? Did Emma make him get out and push?

The episode's amazing "Oh, it's on, we are going into the finale next week, dawg!" ending helped balance its atrocious beginning. Is there anything worse than a dream sequence, especially when it's a super obvious dream sequence? At least we know where the Regina-getting-beheaded moment from the promos came from and that it's not happening any time soon.

And the dream admittedly was a good catalyst for Regina to go hassle Mr. Gold. Which is always a good thing because A) Robert Carlyle, and B) LOVE IT when he and Lana debate magic in their business suits. They're like Wiccan businessmen.

Regina is worried the curse is weakening because her apples are all mealy. We learned that if she kills Emma, the curse is broken, which at least explains why she hasn't bewitched Emma's extensions into choking her out. Mr. Gold was not interested in a deal, so Regina got in touch with the Mad Hatter, who seems to have survived his fall out of a two-story window and into a hat quite well, which, PLOT HOLE. Either hats don't work in this world, so he should be sustaining at least a broken knee, or Emma DID make the hat work, in which case he should be in another dimension. Whatever. Suffice it to say that instead of a text, Regina got in touch with Hatter by being a sinister creepster and putting stuff on his daughter's bike. Then she tried to get him to take her back into a hat (we all know how well that worked out for him last time) by offering to restore his daughter's memory, and our luscious, James Dean-cum-Mad Hatter agreed on the condition that she would restart him and his daughter in the Matrix. What a dumdum.

I hope you get your head cut off for reals this time, because how dare you or anyone else trust Regina? She has yet to fully make good on one promise. And secondly, even if Regina wanted to make good on giving him and Grace a new story, how is she supposed to do that with no magic? She used the last of her magic to retrieve the death apple. I guess we're just supposed to assume "Mad" means "As thick as Emma Swan," which is saying something. (Don't get me wrong—Jennifer Morrison is hot and smart and she makes Emma a million times better than she is on paper. But Emma on paper is THE WORST.)

Meanwhile, bedraggled Emma had presumably marched home from the outskirts of town and Snow White took her to task about not saying goodbye and being a better mom to Henry. Mary-Margs has gotten extra spicy, sass-wise, ever since she spent time in the slammer, but wait until she remembers that she used to be essentially a mass murderer.

So the fairy-tale backstory dealt with how Charming was almost beheaded by his very fashionable faux-father,

Then Regina stepped in looking vaguely like the prince and wearing weird statement makeup and bought Charming for her own explicitly stated purposes.

The deal was struck right before Snow and her dwarfs and a hot werewolf and a little old lady who miiiight only be 37 broke into the castle and KILLED THE SHIT OUT OF SOME GUARDS.

The body count was insane! And those guards weren't necessarily evil, either, they were just doing their jobs, protecting their castle from intruders. I mean, I know Snow White is a badass and everything, but considering she would find out that Charming, whoops, wasn't even at that castle, she looked as murderously insane as Jon Cleese hacking his way through that medieval wedding in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

And don't get me started on this lunacy:

Meanwhile, August is waiting to die, which is kind of hilarious. What with all his skulking around town and book binding, and after one screaming match with Emma in the woods he's like, "Well, that didn't take on the first try. Time to wait for my body to transform into a collection of baseball bats."

Granny's was HOPPING, by the way, I have a feeling a lot of the Yelp reviews are going to be like, "Cute place, food okay, but there was one couple at a table in the middle of the place loudly debating whether or not this one lady who I think was a stripper could have custody of her son. Wish management had moved them to a booth or asked them to leave, hope the boy is okay."

Jiminy has an office, guys, stop screaming about your secret plans at Granny's!

Regina had used the last piece of her magic, her David Bowie ring, to snatch the very same apple she used to curse Snow White, and the Hatter just did not question how she was going to help Grace without magic at all, because DUMB. Then Regina hurried home to bake the apple into a pie for Emma, incapacitating her yet not killing her so the curse could stay in place.

I really liked how the show changed the mythology of the apple, so instead of Snow White being tricked into it, she chose the sleeping curse to save Charming. She and Charming had only been on like, a hike together, once, if memory serves, but I understand them to be totemic of heroic fairy-tale love and I thought it was moving that Snow unquestioningly acted to save him. It was a much better choice than eating unwashed fruit hot out of a hobo's hands like in the Disney tale. Also, did anyone think when Snow bit that apple and Regina like, ghost-bit/made a sexy face—that was wildly sexualized. But maybe that's just me. Maybe I'm secretly a fruit fetishist... or not so secretly, now.

The symmetry of that being the same apple that Henry ate so Emma would save the town, and both he and Snow making incredibly brave sacrifices, is not lost on me. And also Emma's sacrifice—that she's willing to leave town if it means Henry will stop believing in what she thinks is a delusional dream world, her sacrifice has meaning, too... even if it's debatable that she just wants to get back to her life of hooking up with truckers and sleeping in her car. I cannot WAIT until Mary-Margaret realizes Henry is her grandbaby, maybe she'll even adopt him while Emma pulls herself together. You know, assuming Margs can keep her swashbuckling in check when she remembers her bloodthirsty past.

Of course, the first step for all is Henry getting woken up from his turnover-induced coma. How do we think that's going to happen? Let's discuss.

QUESTIONS:

– Is Baelfire going to make an appearance next week (like maybe Emma will have to contact the biological father to see if there's a history of narcolepsy or something)?

– Whose true love will wake Henry with a kiss and do forehead-kisses count I HOPE?

– Is the Mad Hatter a true dunce and why is he still in this dimension?

– Will Mr. Gold spring into action anytime soon (like maybe if he finds out Henry is his GRANDSON by BAELFIRE?!) or is he emotionally checked out ever since August played with his tender heart?

– Was Emma making a sacrifice by offering to leave or was she just running away again?

– WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN IN THE FINALE?!?!

– I'm interviewing show creators Kitsis and Horowitz TOMORROW (Tuesday). What should I ask them?

RELATED STORY: Action Required: What Are Your Burning OUaT Questions Going Into the Finale?

Make an official prediction for how Once Upon a Time's first season will end: Visit our Season Finales Predictions page.

Why do you not have a Youtube show yet? Your recaps are ridiculously hilarious! If you ever do want a show and need some production help, I'm the man for the job!
I'd like you to ask the creators this (I know it's from a long time ago, but it's always bugged me):

Why did you make such a HUGE mistake in calling the OBVIOUS Red Delicious apples Honey Crisp apples. They don't look at all alike!!! Honey Crisps are yellowish-orange-red, Red Delicious, which you used are clearly all dark red. Since apples play such a big role in the main story line how could you make such an obvious mistake?
lol at don't get me started on this lunacy...I was hoping the blue fairy would die this episode actually all fairies but especially her! Now we still have the season finale...
Prepare yourselves people....the end is coming.....to the season!!

The suspension of reality is necessary for the enjoyment of any fantasy. The loss of intelligence is NOT!!

I really hope I'm wrong but I think the finale will just be another attempt at the dumbing down of the american audience.
Show is getting worse rather than better
So you must be happy that the season is ending...
Snow isn't a mass murderer. Notice they just knocked the guards out, that's how they got trapped by them when they got back up and the second group of guards came. The fairies came as a favor to Grumpy (since he gave up love) to put the guards to sleep.
Just rewatched the last episode, and this stuck out like a sore thumb. Right at the end when Henry is trying to convince Emma not to leave SB, he says, "But you're the only one who can stop her!" And Emma says, "Stop her from what?! All she's ever done is fight for you."

Ahem. Do you not remember, Emma, like two weeks ago? You know, when Regina set up your best friend/mom for murder? Remember how you found the shovel in her garage? Remember when her skeleton key opened your apartment? Remember when she planted a human heart in a box just for kicks? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!
I noticed this at the time too, but the way I justified it in my head is that Emma is basically trying to convince herself that she is doing the right thing in leaving Henry back in the care of Regina. To do this, she can't focus on Regina's psychopathic tendencies (we'll also ignore the amount of time it took for Emma to go from "I'm taking someone you love from you!" to "Just kidding, you keep him and I'll leave town, sound good?")
Yes... and she thinks that she did those things to get to her, to get her to leave by hurting her friends. That Regina is doing these things because she sees her as a threat to take Henry away from her. She never did anything to MM before and they were all there, without Emma, for what? 20 some years?

Thus the phrase "All she's ever done is fight for you".
Which leads to one of two conclusions, simply bad writing or Emma wasn't sacrificing but running away, again...
I don't see where the bad writing is... if there is.
"Red, you've got someone on your chin." Nice!
I have a question (I realise I missed the latest interview but for the future) - when are they making Ruby/Red permanent damnit?
???

What does she have to do with the Regina-MM-Emma-David main story line that would justified that?
Okay how's this for a Mad Hatter theory? He's not the single most stupid person on earth, but is actually doing a great job of manipulating Regina. I think maybe Jefferson and Mr. Gold are working together, and that Mr. Gold predicted and/or manipulated the whole situation so that Henry would end eating the apple. Follow me here, first Mr. Gold taunts Regina and suggests she come up with a creative solution to getting rid of Emma. (Just a little nudge towards Jefferson). Then Jefferson convinces Regina to give up her last bit of working magic, ( nice by itself also has the side bene of "using magic always comes with a price"). After he gets her to sacrifice that, he gives her nudge to get the apple "is there any object?" I mean really. Mr. Gold has shown time and time again how good he is at predicting people's reactions and he knew something had to be done to get Emma to believe and he did all this to get it done.
Interesting theory. Gold never helps anyone unless it benefits himself anyway. I think he's been manipulating the whole thing from the start. Well, since his son left, at least.
prince charming, you are a stronger man than i.
I thought it was interesting that Regina had not a care in the world about where Henry was all night, not being there in the morning, presumably, when Emma kidnapped him, but Mary-Margaret was totally concerned about where Emma was. I mean, even as evil as Regina is, you gotta think she has some sort of mothering instinct, after ten years - especially since she knows Emma wants that boy....
I think I'm a day late and more than a dollar short regarding the question about what to ask the producers. Honestly, most of my ideas would probably just offend them, anyway: How does the writing manage to be so uneven? Why is Emma written so dumb? Who on the team has unresolved issues with adoption? Questions that would probably get me shown the door right away.

But another commentator on your forum, a 'JohnMartino', had posed a question earlier in ths chain that has a lot of merit. To quote him: "Lily, this is somewhat unrelated to this week's episode, but if you sit down with the show's creators, can you please please please ask them when they are going to bring in a respectable black character to even things out after Genie/Sidney Glass, "I'm so lovesick, I'll make myself a slave again and do whatever this woman says." I mean, we love the show, but this is embarrassing."

I don't think that Emma is more dumb than Scully was in "The X Files". She just hang to what is rational only... Most of us would probably s.it in our pants if we'd see the stuff that the EQ or Rumple can do, in our life, or a flying saucer landing. It doesn't mean that we are dumb.

Just imagine that somebody at your workplace tells you tomorrow morning that all the people you've been working with are from another planet... or, better, characters from fairy tales.

No worries, I agree with you completely about her healthy skepticism regarding some of the fantastical Fairytale stuff. But she'd been played by just about everybody except for Granny (and maybe we just don't know about that :-) before she began to doubt her 'secret power' to know when people are lying. And then her apparent belief that she can reverse a closed adoption just because Regina went all mean on her pal MM. More the stuff like that. While I can see how her skepticism about the curse advances the plot - her other lapses just seem like sloppy writing that doesn't add anything to the show.
I get your point and, in that sense, I have to agree. Tho, I think that the fact that her lost son suddenly appears in her life, with some weird stories about the people surrounding him has impaired her judgment greatly.

The behavior of Regina, Gold, August and Hatter are not helping mostly since it seems to reinforce Henry's beliefs. Even if I don't think that she has the wit of a Culombo or Mulder, I think that she is emotionally overwhelmed and that hinders her reasoning.

And now she's told that everybody in SB is counting on her! It's all starting to pressure and affect her greatly, and she does irrational things.

Tho there is sloppy writing sometimes (lack of consistency) that will hurt the show if it continues, I don't believe that this is.

If you look at her progression since she arrived, it's easy to see that she is emotionally exhausted. She's not the same as she was when the series began.
thought the fight seen was dumb snow didnt actully kill anyone after all the fights the gaurads all got up and it took the faires to put them to sleep

there was no massacre

even when grumpy stuck is axe at the gaurd there was no blood

but i love the montey pyton refrence :)

"Sorry lets not biqer about who killed who :)"
Based on picture promos, it looks like Emma's kiss on the forehead is going to bring Henry out of it after some magical fireworks and this is going to be followed up by Emma discovering a near-entirely-made-of-wood August in his room. Other than that, I am thrilled for this finale. So many returns (the Huntsman, Maleficent, Belle, the Mad Hatter again) that I don't know how they're all going to fit in one episode. And knowing Kitsis and Horowitz and their history with LOST, there's going to be something insanely awesome about the finale that is going to make me hate having to wait until September for answers.
That apple turnover looked delicious.
You can take anything from a fantasy realm, but only ONE thing....and you pick the poison apple, Regina? Why not a powerful wand, or a genie? I don't know if you've heard, but you can make a poison apple HERE.
I'm not sure about this, but I don't think she knows how to make a poison apple and that is why she had Hansel and Gretel steal it from the blind witch. (??)
Agreed. The poisoned apple is something she had to get from the blind witch, not something she can do herself (why? because this show is dumb sometimes). And she needed something that wouldn't kill Emma but could incapacitate her indefinitely, so she went with the sleeping curse. And it had to be something that was already enchanted, because there's not enough magic left in SB to do anything with a wand, and the hole isn't big enough to pull a genie through... although how crazy would it be to have Sydney AND the Genie of Agraba both in SB at the same time!
The whole apple thing has me mighty confused... When she visited Maleficent, I very much remember it being said that Regina traded The Curse (that Rumples gave her) with the Sleeping Curse Maleficent used on Sleeping Beauty, to use on Snow. (Which is why EQ had to go and get The Curse back from Maleficent.)

But then she had to steal a poison apple from the blind witch... Also to use on Snow? Why? Did she combine the two? Why not use the sleeping curse on a regular apple...?
I think the poison, in the Magic World, is used as a carrier for curses. Then, it's not deadly. That's why she needed them both.
Yeah, I know what the effects of the apple were on Snow... But is that from the cursed/poison apple itself or the sleeping curse from Maleficent? That's what confuses me... They had the whole curse swap (which I though it was cool-both snow and sleeping beauty falling under the same curse), but then they have Regina going to a lot of trouble to get her hands on this particular magical apple...? Why?

During her talk with her, Regina says that Maleficent's curse failed (broken by true love's kiss), which means she did use it on Snow... But since the Apple came into play, it's like the whole curse thing never happened...
Snow isn't just sleeping- she's going to relive all her regrets and worst moments. Which is really a nasty bit of magic, when you think about it.

There's more than one kind of apple- the golden apples in Norse mythos restored the gods' youth and beauty. Maybe the witch's apple was one of that sort?
Ah, you're so right! The only thing I ever remember from the Maleficent scene is when Regina says, "Love is weakness," because it's the reason I don't think she truly loves Henry. I totally forgot about the whole purpose for her visit - to get back the Dark Curse she traded. UGH! This writing is so ridiculously inconsistent!!! Do they even READ the scripts???

Belle WILL be back in the season finale. I'm calling Henry's heart monitor stopping and Emma's "I love you Henry " (that we saw in the promo for next week) being followed by a kiss on the forehead, or possibly her tears dropping all over him, and reviving him. I'm also calling Rumple finding Belle and swearing allegiance to Emma because of Regina locking Belle in the mental asylum for 28 years. (nods) I also wanna call at least one person remembering their former fairytale land life. At LEAST one person. (nods)

I think that the Mad Hatter is still in this dimension because without Emma believing he can't get home. After all, they are in "A Land Without Magic" right? How he survived that drop is completely beyond me. Drops like that are the reason I have Vertigo. Although I do think that Smexy Mad Hatter (who, even though he is dumb, you gotta admit to the smexyness) will end up on Emma's side, once he realises that's the only way to get his daughter back. Or he'll be trying to kill Emma next season (because as we found out this week, if Emma dies, the curse breaks anyways) so Mad Hatter being a dunce might be a good thing (dunces don't make good assassins)

I dunno if Baelfire will appear next ep. But I would totally love for Baelfire to be Henry's dad. Imagine all the pull Henry will have if he ends up becoming Charming and Snow's heir to the throne, AND is the grandson of Rumplestiltskin. Imagine it for a minute people.

If Rumple was to find out that Henry is his grandson, I think he would definitely try to build a relationship with him and as such, he would help Emma get Henry back (mainly because he knows exactly how evil Regina actually is, so he wouldn't want his Grandson being raised by her). Also, seeing as Baelfire is the only person that Rumplestilskin ever cared about (I'm not including Belle, because even though he loves Belle, he loves Baelfire more because he was willing to give up any love from her because he wants to find his son) he would go to the ends of the earth to make sure that Henry was safe. Also, if Baelfire appeared and was, in fact, Henry's father, Baelfire could sue for custody of Henry because he hasn't legally given away his parental rights (therefore making the adoption illegal so Regina wouldn't have a choice but to give up Henry)

I personally think that the curse may be broken this series (just a theory) coz you've got Mary Margeret and David looking all scared in the middle of a dakr and gloomy looking street, so I'm figuring the smoke monster from Lost is back to return them all the Fairytale Land, but twist of all twists, the people don't have their memories, or they keep slipping in and out of their memories so the next series will be about adjusting to their lives back in Fairytale land. Or it's entirely possible that Baelfire comes along and looks like a crazy biker dude. I mean come on, who was Emma hooking up wiht when she was younger? I doubt it was nice men with good jobs. Also, I know Baelfire is all honorable and that, but he was a kid and he got thrown into the real world, like Pinnochio/August did, so think about. The Blue Fairy and Jiminy both said that there were a lot of temptations in the Real World that they would have to overcome. So maybe, what with Baelfire being on his own, he ended up in some cruddy foster home or some such and just thought "Screw it!" and started being a badly behaved delinquent and thinking his dad didn't love him at all (which wouldn't be a far stretch because if one of my paents let me fall into a swirling vortex, into another world, all alone, I'd be assuming they didn't give a damn about me either) So you never know.

And that's all she wrote from me on this matter. Although I do have to think of at least one really good question for Kitsis and Horowitz. (nods)
Rumplestiltskin swearing alliegance to Emma doesn't ring quite true- he's still got his favor to call in. Not buying that Mr Gold is on any side but his own. Yes, he's invested a great deal in Snow, Emma, and possibly Henry; plus it was Rumplestiltskin who found James the first and then Charming for King George. BUT WHY?

Really like the theory about punk/gangsta Bae- maybe Mr Gold can't find him because Bae is so angry that he doesn't want to be found?

If Henry's dad (Bae or not) didn't give up his parental rights, does he have any legal standing? Does his name appear on the adoption paperwork? (Probably not, or they'd have had to contact him when Henry was born, wouldn't they?)

Mr Gold has some feeling for Henry already, at least in the scenes we've had so far- I think Mr Gold likes Henry better than most of the adults he deals with! It's Henry who doesn't trust Mr Gold (neither does Emma, which is the reason August didn't get his throat cut after he tried to control Mr Gold with the dagger)

My bet is that something else may break through from FTL- Maleficient, maybe? in the dark and gloomy street. What if, instead of everyone going back to FTL, the rest of FTL comes to Storybrooke?
More +
I like that theory. And you're probably right about Rumple, because he is always in it for himself mostly, or by making deal that are more beneficial to him. Whoever the father of Henry is, Emma said he didn't know about Henry, therefore he couldn't sign adoption papers giving away his parental rights. The law states that IF the father didn't give away his legal rights then he has every right to sue for custody of his child and usually courts favour the biological parent. It's happened before. There was a couple in America who adopted a little girl, and then the biological father married the bilogical mother and sued for custody of their child because she hadn't been truthful about the child's paternity so he hadn't signed away his parental rights. He did win custody of the child, even though she was six years old and had no idea who he was, and had to leave the adopted home of the parents she always knew. So it does happen.

Also, Emma was only seventeen when she signed adoption papers. Remember she was a juvenile prisoner? At the age of seventeen she wouldn't really be considered mature enough to make that decision, so she could legally contest the adoption if she wanted to. But it would be a humongous legal battle that would go on for many years, because that is how court works. But within that time, there would be a psychiatric evaluation of all parties involved. So that means, Henry, Regina and Emma, as well as Mary Margaret because Emma lives with her, so that's where Henry would live if Emma gained custody of him. No psychiatric evaluation would paint Regina in a good light to be perfectly honest. LOL! But like I said, it would take years for the courts to make a custody decision, and in that time, Henry would have to stay with his adoptive mother (Regina) until a decision was made, because Regina is the one who raised him. So unless someone thought he was in physical danger he wouldn't be removed. (nods)

And THAT is the extent of my legal knowledge on the matter. LOL! Although I do agree that Rumple has an agenda, but you never know what might happen.
More +
Did not know about the parental rights precedent- makes it interesting. If Emma didn't want this guy to know Henry existed, wouldn't that be a logical threat for Regina to use? And was,t Emma eighteen when she gave Henry up?

The courts do take forever to decide things- but Storybrooke hasn't got that long!
Lets not forget that the reason why Rumplestiltskin didn't follow his son and dumped Belle is because he didn't want to lose his powers... He's not so pure at heart.
Well it's implied that the reason he rejected Belle is because he said he wouldn't love anything else or care for anything else until he found Baelfire. So that's the reason he rejected Belle. Without his powers he wouldn't get his son back. I'm not saying that he's pure of heart, but he's only ever cared about Baelfire even at his worst. But my theories on Rumplestiltskin are wide and varied. (nods)
I thought the fairies' "Luftwaffe" with all those bright colors was simply hilarious. All that was missing is for the fairies to be flying tiny WWI biplanes, and firing tiny machine guns with pixie dust bullets. Or maybe they reminded me of a horde of hungry multicolored locusts. All we still needed was for the fairies to be throwing dwarf eggs at the castle guards.
that screenshot of Henry biting into the turnover was really endearing. Im now a fan of this kid!
So, where is the recap of your meeting with the producers?
I just now watched the show, (yep, I do find time for Lily's reviews sooner than the show itself :-) and I now understand her comment about mass murder. Good lord! What a blitzkrieg Snow and those wascally fairies put on! (I tot I taw a Blue Fairy a' tweepin' up on me.) Poor EQ just can't catch a break. All this slaughter, and then you merely rip out a heart or two or 100 and suddenly, everyone is pointing their fingers and going all 'Bee-atch!!' at you.

Seriously, a shout-out to Lana Parrilla - any actress who can get out that 'Forbidden Fruit' line without cracking up deserves an Emmy award indeed. (If we had a satellite view of the internet, I'll bet that Tumblr was lit up brighter than NYC, London, Paris and Beijing all combined after this show aired :-)

When Regina was begging Mr Gold to help her with the curse and she said "I'll do anything" I seriously thought she was about to march Belle in or at least drop some kind of major hint about her existence. This is such a major plot line I can't believe it hasn't been touched on yet!! Unless it is being held for a big reveal in season 2...I just love the idea of Mr Gold having a young true love...
i thought thee same but more so when mr gold said she has nothing of intrest for him

Its easy to awake Henry. Love can break any curse and true love is stronger then any magic, no one said that it had to be a couple, ie prince charming and snow white. The love between Emma and Henry is true love is it not?
Awesome episode with a great ending! The stakes are raised and I look forward to watching how every thing plays out!

Looking forward to the finale and loved the medieval mall cop.
Lily, I nearly died laughing when I read the "Pop Tarts Pop Hearts" caption. Just so you know. :-)

And I TOTALLY AGREE about the ridiculousness of the fairy sleeping-bomb aerial assault (although, admittedly.....hilarious).
Prince reference Bwaaahahaha!

And ask the show creators if they're planning to blow up Simon's head, cuz we KNOW Giancarlo can pull it off!
Yeah, Emma should get out of SB an go talk to Mr. White (rabbit). He would tell her what kind of dude Simon was in his previous life...
I find Emma a bit annoying...come on..we are almost at the finals..after all that she has seen and been through..she still doesn't believe anything about Magic...Can't wait to see that she finally starts believing and then the real battle between her and Regina will start!!
What magical events has she seen or been through?

How does one believe in magic if one is not exposed to it?
C'mon it's that kinda talk that makes Tinkerbell sick. Clap your hands and chant "I believe", Swing!
Emma probably has to believe in herself before she can believe in anything else. Magic included.

And Tinkerbelle is not the only sick one around here. I'm diagnosing chronic depression for the entire town, for the past 28 years (Explains the inability to accomplish anything or even think of anything useful, more logically than anything else!)
What if Henry doesn't wake up, because a mother love is not true love, and Regina start to try to convince Emma of the curse because only with magic she can wake him up?

Also they said that if Emma dies the curse is broken....maybe she will try that and self-sacrifice always pays off in the fairytales!
I keep wondering if the curse being broken turns out to not be what everyone expects. After all, it was Rumpelstilskin who gave the curse to the Evil Queen and who told Snow that it would be her daughter who would break it in 28 years. Gold seems so invested in having it broken now that I wonder if by breaking it there will be a consequence (result) that no one is aware of. I don't even know if I'm making any sense.
Definitely more to it- breaking the Dark Curse is just the first step of Emma's "quest" Not sure where we're going next, but I'm on board!
I don't think that Gold wants the curse to end before he finds his son.

Actually, I don't think it is a coincidence that he designed the curse for Regina in this way. It was too late for him to rejoin his son but the EQ had the power to reactivate the portal (or whatever) and throw everyone there him included.

When/if he finds his son, then he might have some interest in taking him back with him. Hence his exit strategy: Emma.

Remember the warning: "Don't tell him the name of the child or he will have control over it".

And Snow told Rumplestiltskin the name of the child...
That I think is the whole basis, Rumpel designed the curse! Can't wait to see where the writers are going to take this next season. I really hope it won't be a let down compared to this first season.
I got the same feeling, you most definitely make sense, don't worry
Thank you! Some times I wonder... ;)
Hey, Lily. I was in a commercial plane crash 16 years ago. While reading your review, I laughed so hard that my rib cage seized up. No worries, it happens occasionally. It has subsequently resolved, and hey, what's the point of being alive if you can't laugh yourself into a serious side-stitch now and again?

Keep it up. Next time, I'll exercise more self-control :-)

Hm, don't think Henry's father is important (don't think it's Bael, he's not like his father) It's all gonna be Emma/Regina showdown.

Forehead kisses count.

Mad Hatter is mad hot, but wish he was more smart than desperate. Would be nice if he was manipulating Regina to use up her last bit of magic or something... eh, giving writers too much credit.

Love Robert Carlyle when he's acting normal cuz it's even more sinister than when he's all Rumpled out! He'll play a penultimate part in the endgame but is too smart to referee the inevitable mommy bitch slap fest.

Both. Emma was sacrificing (otherwise she would've taken Henry with her), but she is also afraid of caring too much. Before I thought you were too hard on the Emma character, but you're right, for a bail bondsman/sheriff she is the worst at interpreting obvious clues... srlsy, gonna eat a pop tart made by your mortal sociopathic enemy? Who's threatened to destroy you more than once... to your FACE!?

What's going to happen? Well, if the writers from LOST are any indication- the curse is controlled by a giant cork in a cave down the mineshaft at the edge of town guarded by misty polar bears. They'll have Emma believe in the magic for 10 seconds before making her forget by hornet fairies that cause the town to sleep for another 28 years, where Henry wakes up having blissfully passed through puberty, but David is still a douchebag. With any luck, Red will eat Regina and Emma's hair extensions.

Also, since no one has mentioned it (that I've noticed), the promos show Emma in an elevator that looks like mineshaft (remember that) with a sword. Unless this is another dream sequence, maybe this is the key to how she'll break the curse?
Snow White's coffin is down there, and maybe other things that will open her belief that there might be something else going on.

That would set the premise for the next season(s): investigating more profoundly the people of Storybrooke and, maybe, beyond...

Maybe there is Magic in this World (outside of SB) but Regina & Gold do not know how to tame it.
Maybe she will commit sword-suicide in the mine....
By the way, was the fairy godmother transfered with the curse, we haven't seen her yet. She had her nose in almost every important event of the Magic World?

Maybe she is a stripper, pole dancing with her silver platform shoes and her jacked-up turrets (as Grumpy calls that) somewhere in SB?

(Grumpy's loved-fairy was transfered).
She's Mother Superior in SB, actually. I think she was introduced in 'Dreamy' and we saw Rumple talking to her about August in 'The Return'
Yeah, you're right.

I didn't recognize her: Quite a different outfit. :)
The Blue Fairy was in the pilot, but not her alter ego- until we saw the nuns in "Dreamy", I'd thought that the fairies hadn't survived the transition to Storybrooke.

Maybe that was part of the "preparations" mentioned in "The Stranger" episode?
Oh, and I do think Mr. Gold might put in a little help, he does want the curse broken at some point. He can't leave to search for his son otherwise, maybe?

I was surprised Regina didn't use Belle to try and bargain with him if she was so desperate, but maybe that'll come in later somewhere?
I don't know about the mad hatter, but they called him mad for a reason, I think. Maybe mad stands for massive attention disorder or something like that and he hadn't really been paying attention when Regina was saying it was the last of her magic...

Can true love come from just about anyone who truly loves you? (Yes, I'm aware of how that sounds) But seriously - as seriously as we can get about fairy tales - would have have to be a mother then, or a father, or a sibling or a grandparent? If family love can have true love, who's to say which members of the family count? hehehe, maybe that's just me hoping it's MM that wakes him up, not Emma, I'm a little frustrated with Emma right now. They should tie her hair back up, she always seems to get smarter when that happens.

Best guess is that Jefferson hit the ground on his head then bounced off his hair into the woods There is no reason for him to trust Regina except his own desperation. And absolutely no reason for her to improve his fate once he's done what she asks...
Fairly sure Emma's true love for her son will wake up Henry. If she gives him a forehead kiss it may bring the magic back/ break the curse, that's my theory. Unfortunately, I think the death will be August who will turn back to his creepy puppet form for being naughty or whatever.
They won't break the curse this season. If they do the series is over. Unless they want to start another curse in another Town (or World) next season which would be ridiculous.. There is still a lot to learn about the characters background and Emma is not even close to believing enough.

I'm not saying the curse will broken and everything is perfectly resolved. I said that her kissing her son "may bring back the magic/ break the curse" meaning that magic will now be available in Storybrooke, and people will start to realize things aren't right, which is breaking the curse in a sense... does that make any sense? I'm not doing a great job explaining it.
I understand what you mean: it is a two prong curse.

1- The transfer to Storybrooke

2- Forget who they are.

But I believe that they are not separated and if it is broken they all go back to where they were.

And I don't think that she has to kiss her son to break the curse. It has to do with a character from the Magic World.

We'll see. We just can guess at this point.
Mr Gold said during his discussion with Regina in the shop that she should be worried if people started to remember... Maybe Emma is breaking the Curse just by waking their minds up? "The journey home" could occupy a season or so, and dealing with the mess that's been happening in FTL while no-one was home has got to be good for another couple seasons. (Ogre frat party, way hard, for 30 years?)
Of course they can break the curse: doesn't mean they'll go back to FTL ... it could just be they get their memories back. The curse was to strip them of their happy endings ... perhaps they'd be happier in Storybrook if they remembered both lives? I don't know ... I just know that anything is possible at this point.
Well that is the original premise of the show: check the intro. So, like, they're gonna turn it into a soap now? The quiet and happy life of the Storybrookians... Yeah, that should be a hit.
$5 on season ending with Emma finally stop being a bimbo and accept her destiny.

But I can see endless possibilities for the show even after they break the curse. Wonderland vs. Fairytale-land, maybe the Queen will be an anti-hero in that saga. Or simply Queen vs. Dark One. The writers have a vast wealth at their disposal. Heck, they can even lift more stuff from Fables (the comic) ;p
and how are you going to pay us? :oP
Henry will be in a coma until he hits puberty. Just let me believe that for a week.
The episode was really good but man, the fairies stuff is a totall eyeroll every time.
How is henry eating the poisonous food going to change emmas mind? I mean really she will just say it was poison meant for her so how is that magic? How will she see any different. As for August attitude there are many people in the real world who give up after trying something just once. But I get that it would be extremely difficult to know how to convince Emma that girl is just plain DUMB!

Will see Bella in the last ep I bet as we know she is supposed to be (mentioned in an earlier post) Why hasn't regina used her against Mr Gold yet? Waiting for the right moment....

The blue fairy is just as manipulative as Regina in her own way. What is with that ourtit!

Can anyone tell me if Henry is supposed to be Reginas father in the fiarytale world doesn't Regina know this. How did Henry come to know all is not as it seems in Storybrooke? Did someone tell him when he was a baby or did he come into this knowledge. I am just confused where he is concerned and his relationship with Emma (Who is his father in this reality?)

Maybe he noticed that everyone else in school is not aging or moving up grades and he is. Why he hasn't mentioned this, I have no idea...
It's easy to call Emma dumb but I wonder how any of us would react if we'd arrive in a town where we are told that the inhabitants are characters from all the fairy tales, put there by an evil queen...

Oh, and by the way, you're in your 30s and this 20 some years old is Snow White and also your mother...
Henry's true love is Gracie/Paige! And I'm hoping too that Baelfire is Henry's father. It would make sense, because Henry kinda looks like him.
henry actually looks more like Daniel the stablemen. Wouldn't that be a twist o_O.
As in, Regina wanted to adopt a kid who looked like her child with Daniel might have? Interesting theory...
After this episode I'm convinced Emma has started to believe in the curse. Hard to be afraid of something you don't believe in, so saying you don't want that responsibility and leaving town? Yeah, I'd say she's in denial. Believing it exists and finding the courage to do something about it are two different things, which probably leads us into season 2.
I dunno, I think crazy people dragging you to the woods to show you their hairy leg would be enough to drive anyone over the edge. She's got people blowing up houses, the mayor framing folks for murder, human hearts in jewelry boxes... If I were her I'd grab my kid and get the hell out of there. Probably the first smart thing she's done all season.
totally agree! Emma doesn"t want to be responsible (thus MM"s speech) but the responsibility wouldn"t scare the crap out of her if she didn"t believe>
As Mr. Gold reminds Regina, "all magic comes with a price." And I should add, well, stupid magic comes at a higher price. Come on, if you're going to give poisonous food to someone, make sure you see them eat such food. But if you give them some seemingly tasty apple pastry, chances are they'll share it, give it away, etc, so frustrating your plans. A similar thing had happened in Grimm, when Adalind made blood cookies for Hank, and Sergeant Wu ate one instead, and almost died. TV writers keep using the same plot devices over and over again.
This particular "Switch" has been used for hundreds of years- especially in the fairy tales from which the writers are drawing! It's a classic...
I loved this episode so much, but there were still things I took issue with.

~I wasn't that upset about the dream, especially since I was like "oh, that's where the promo is from. Good, they're not rushing Emma from disbelieving to sword-fighting then"

~I love the acting in this show. I love with Regina and Gold bicker in the pawn shop, I love Snow's pathetic "But I'm rescuing you..." to Charming in the mirror (and the fact that Charming actually laughs at her for it)...basically most 2 persons scenes with the major actors make me very happy.

~August did not make me happy. His whole "welp, tried that one once, guess I'll just go spend some time with my dad before I'm completely wood now" was pathetic. What do you mean you're out of operation Cobra? What, you can't handle carrying a walkie-talkie around town with you anymore?

~I was also confused why Jefferson is still here and not broken. Is it possible that he left through the hat but still spies on his daughter who doesn't remember she's his daughter? Sounds stupid, but then again, so was he this episode.

~LOVED that Mary Margaret gave Emma the verbal smackdown that I (and it seemed like most people) were dying to give her at the end of the last episode. And loved that, not only did MM totally go all motherly on her ass, but that Emma responded with the sullen teenager look, completely with mulish chin.

~Loved the parley scene at the stable, but then was massively confused. As I believe another comment already noted, why the hell was Snow surprised by Daniel's death? She's given off the impression for quite awhile now that she knew that Regina hated her, and she understood why (the letter she gave to the huntsman, anyone?). If she didn't know that Daniel was killed, then what did she think she had done? Also, this has bothered me for awhile: when exactly did Snow realize that she and EQ weren't on speaking terms? Was it at that moment in the forest with the huntsman? If it was before then, why was Snow hugging her at her father's casket and not ripping her eyes out? And if it was at that moment, that's a pretty deep thought process to go through in the time it took to run away, sit on a log and write that letter.

~Did anyone else find the turnover bit hilarious? I mean, they even had the deeply meditative "Now how can I get her to eat it?"...PIE MAKING MONTAGE! I mean, it's Lana Parrilla, so she pulled it off, but something about the sinister baking just had me snorting.

~Why the hell wasn't Emma suspicious of the turnover? Yes, you made a deal with Regina; congratulations. Way to forget that this was also the woman that framed your best friend for murder for no apparent reason and has made your life a living hell since the moment you set foot in this town. Also, blatantly ignore the fact that she only made one and apparently doesn't want to keep even a piece for either herself or her son. Nothing suspicious here.

~I don't think Baelfire is going to show up yet. I don't think that Henry is going to wake up before at least next season. What is going to happen? ...no idea, but I can't wait to find out.
She knew that Regina hated her because she was responsible for the lost of her true love (as in: she couldn't marry him) but she didn't know that he was dead. She probably thought that he just had left.
I'm just curious - what the heck happened to Emilie de Ravin's character, who we saw sitting in the hospital room? Is she going to make an appearance next week?
I think she and Frederick are in the bottom of the well!!
Frederick is the gym teacher who found Kathryn. They showed him really briefly in the episode where she disappeared.
It's so hard to keep up...! How do we know Baelfire (Rumpel's son?) is Henry's dad again?

Also, I don't remember how the Hatter ended up in this dimension remembering stuff...
We don't know, but it's the best guess we have. (I personally was hoping it was Mr. Gold, but ah well that fell through quickly)
We don't know that Bae is Emma's baby daddy - but Jennifer Morson indicated that his identity would be shocking, so I think the general consensus for Once fans is that he is Henry's dad. Other than Emma and August, he's the only other fairytale character that got to this side unscathed by the curse.

Jefferson seemed to indicate that the curse made him aware of his former self but unable to leave his house to tell anyone about it (until Emma arrived), and just within view of his daughter's new life. To me, this should have been the curse for everyone - REMEMBERING that they are supposed to be happy with the people around them but unable to do it. As the "curse" stands now, I just don't understand how they set up Regina as irredeemably evil, but the biggest curse she can conjure is an upper middle class lifestyle in Maine. Nobody is lying in a ditch praying for death or anything - most people seem a lot better off than they were in FTL to be honest (Red ate her true love, Cinderella's husband got turned into the frog prince or some other well-dweller, Dreamy is converted into a lonely grump... it ain't all happy endings there).
More +
it's supposed that, even thought they seem happy in this world, they don't feel 100% ok with their lives, like something is missing.. but they start finding true happy endings when Emma arrives..
But don't you feel like it's a little weak for this horribly evil woman to kill her beloved father and risk an unfillable hole in her soul just to send people to a cute suburb where they have mediocre dates and feel a little lonely every now and then? What the hell kind of Dark Curse is that? It just falls a little flat for me, particularly when there actually ARE parts of the real world that are hellish and scary with people whose plights would make Mary Margaret's life seem like it was straight out of a fairytale - was this really the most horrible punishment she could conjure in that evil, twisted mind?
Two theories-

1) Regina's imagination was stunted by her upbringing- not getting one's own way = torture.

2) Maybe she's spent so much time staring at Dan-the-ring that she hasn't really been focusing on time passing (or maybe it didn't)- what if she was surprised when Emma showed up, because she expected a lot more time for the soul-destroying ennui to act on MM and the rest?
Shame on me and me fragile memory! Of course Bae jumped pre-curse... it's not even an old episode.

Regarding regina being pictured as irredeemably evil... I hope they fix that, because between her teenage years and last night's dream sequence, Lana Parrilla is making me like her, and even understand her a little bit.
Nope, I hated Lana in Lost, in Covert Affairs, and now in OUaT; she looks good, but then she opens her mouth. I'll consider liking Regina when she's dead, and I mean all-the-way, no-returns dead. And even then, I'll probably be hoping she wakes up in the afterlife married to King Joffrey (who in this wish-upon-a-star is also irretrievably dead).
Even Regina deserves better than Joffrey. HE doesn't, but she has a little class. Maybe the Hound?

did anyone else find it so AGGRAVATING when Mr. Gold said Regina had nothing he wanted and she DIDN'T EVEN TRY to bring up Belle in the looney bin?

like, "you have nothing I want"

"not even...your beloved!?"

bum bum buuuuuummm

nope. not even an inkling. i mean damn. I about fell off my couch in fury.
Maybe she's afraid he'd just go ape and kill her instead once he found out she's had Belle locked away all this time...

Regina"s expression when he said that made me wonder if she was going to run down to the dungeon and make sure belle was still there before she said anything! like she was wondering if mr gold had somehow broken her out
As someone else pointed out: she probably keep that card in her pocket (for as long as she can find other ways) in case Gold seriously becomes a threat to her.
Wouldn't it be crazy if Regina true-love-forhead-kisses Henry back into the waking world?

Her love for Henry does seem to be her one redeeming quality ... that and her cheekbones (shameless GoT reference).
LOL @ GoT reference hahaahhahahahaha good one! :)
Load More Comments