Once Upon a Time: Snow Job

Holy hell they did it right last night. Once Upon a Time is not playing around, and "The Shepherd" proved that not only do the show's writers have a solid roadmap for the season, but that the first stop is breaking our hearts.

The real-world plotline of this episode was unapologetically romantic: David, fresh out of a coma, aggressively pursued Margaret Blanchard, leaving his wife and begging Margaret to meet him at the Toll Bridge if she feels the same way. On his way there, Regina hustled him into Mr. Gold's shop, where his fake memory was implanted and he remembered his wife, so he confessed to Margaret that while he has intense feelings for her, it's only right for him to give his marriage a chance. Great sequence of events! Plenty to build on going forward! I effing hated it. I was literally muttering "I hate this show" and cringing with emotional pain. I know that opposition and obstacles are the crucible in which the best TV couples are formed, but to make David's conflict an internal one (whether it's the curse implanting false memories or not) undermines the fairytale romance his relationship with Margaret is supposed to epitomize.

The dance of will they/won't they is one of the most vital parts of a series staying interesting. But that dance has more meaning for characters who haven't already gotten married and had a baby together. Emma and the hipster police chief: Now those are two characters I would like to see get caught up in an agonizingly slow-build romance. I don't know if they necessarily like each other, so their eventual pairing would be compelling. Snow and Prince Charming have mixed DNA, so for him to look at a windmill and decide to go back to his fake wife is not piquing my interest in their relationship so much as punishing me for caring about them in the first place. It doesn't help that Josh Dallas might seriously be into Ginnifer Goodwin. I mean, if the acting he's doing opposite his fairytale mom is any indication, I don't think that crackling energy in his scenes with Ginnifer is acting. #StartingRumors

Meanwhile, the fairytale world plot laid out Prince Charming's backstory, the best one so far but with some of the worst CGI yours and mine eyes hath ever seen.

What we thought was a mano-y-mano fight on top of a precipice was the Prince auditioning to kill a dragon for King Kenneth Branagh. Then this happened:

Oh no! Luckily, the slain prince turned out to be one of Rumpelstiltskin's stable of stolen babies, and he had a twin brother, so the deal with King Midas is still on!

Twin Brother/Shepherd Charming had an idyllic life frolicking with lambkins, winding strips of leather around his wrists, and sharing a cottage with a middle school art teacher. Rumpelstiltskin tracked him down and whisked him off to slay the dragon in his dead brother's place (which he did using shepherding skills, don't ask), and as a reward King Midas gave him his daughter's hand in marriage.

This tied in beautifully with the "Snow Falls" episode, made Prince Charming more accessible and dimensional as a character, and reinforced Rumpelstiltskin as the hub of all the show's plotlines. Impressive! Also, Emma discovered the sheriff practically throwing himself out of Regina's third-story window during her night shift, so now she knows about that emotional/physical/magickal/sensual/sexual alliance.

I was surprised that Emma's only objection was that Henry was in the same house. Emma, that house is the size of a train station! The sheriff and Regina could have an oompah-loompah jug-band jamboree in the master bedroom and Henry would still be obliviously writing fan fiction about his therapist 45 rooms away. Chill! Also, I now have so many questions about cops. Can you just "BECOME" a deputy without graduating from a police academy? Can you really run around town policing people in a motorcycle jacket, high-heel boots, and jeggings? Are Emma and Sheriff Graham the only police in Storybrooke?

True enough, this episode was brilliant, engrossing, and well written, but yeah, it effing killed me. It's embarrassing that I care enough about these characters to be so butt-hurt about Prince Charming. Maybe it's the childhood association that makes me so protective of these characters, or maybe the actors are simply earning their paychecks. Maybe it's frustration with people who make themselves martyrs to ethics that disregard honesty: If David loves Margaret, it's immoral to settle for his wife because their relationship is a lie. Regardless, the Prince/Snow White relationship has me hooked, I have to keep watching, and I will accept it on any terms I can get it. Unless Margaret hooks up with this guy:

That's the day my cold coal heart flips the kill switch and I mentally re-classify this show as a RenFaire soap to keep myself from suffering a nervous breakdown.

Questions:

... How delicious was it to have all grown-ups onscreen and no Henry?

... Is Sheriff Graham a frontman in an indie band? And where did he get that bear claw, because it looked delicious.

... Is Ginnifer Goodwin married? And should her husband be concerned about Josh Dallas?

... Which fairytale relics did you spot in Mr. Gold's shop? (To name a couple: Alice's tea party set, Aladdin's lamp)

... Isn't gold way too soft to make an effective sword? Metallurgists, let us know!

... Did you love this episode, or did it hurt your heart too much?

I enjoyed it. Just one question - who the heck arranges to meet someone at a spot when they don't know where it is? Eeesh. And I hate that whole ' if you don't turn up I'll assume you don't want me..." deal. I mean, seriously, who would be dumb enough to say that in real life? You'd never know if they didn't turn up because they really didn't care or because something had happened to prevent them while they were on their way. Useless.

I also enjoyed this ep more because Henry was absent for most of it. Hate to say it, but he's getting on my nerves big time.
I completely believe Josh and Ginnifer are a couple. It's become increasingly obvious over the past week or so.
Ha - these episode recaps always make my day. :)
Anyone see the promo for episode 7? It seems like anyone who speculated that the Sheriff was the huntsmen from snow white. Or it could just be the typical promo: making you think one thing, when something else entirely happens :P
I've fallen in love with this story and the storytelling. Great editing/cutting between scenes.

I just watched the most recent episode again and I've been struck by the detail. They've made the town so classically retro beautiful. Examples: The tables in the diner with the 50s/60s Formica tops (my grandparents had similar ones); same with the diner's stools and clock. The computer monitors at the police station from 6-8 years ago. The 60s black ATT telephones.

Each house/inn looks lived in: Emma's apartment has a 50s/60s stove; the wallpaper at the Inn and at the Nolan's. The wood widows have sealant that looks 20 years old and not uniform. It's a wisely planned community that looks like a story book Maine town should look. Great job to whoever is responsible!

The costumes/wardrobes. Wow! I love how Mary Margaret's clothes are those of a Penny's shopping elementary school teacher. Emma's outfits have attitude. All of the hunky men have hunky outfits.

And how about the horrible blue dress for Midas' daughter? Rich, tasteless, unflattering.

Small annoyances: (a) the sword the prince uses in the battle with Midas' champion has no blood on it when the prince pulls it out (perhaps to let us know the semi-giant wasn't dead?); (b) Why didn't the dragon just light up prince James when they were face to face that's how he dealt with the rest of the soldiers? (c) Mary Margaret's tear on the right side of her face at 41:51 has disappeared; (d) the burnt to a crisp soldiers with prince James should have left skeletons.

In the dragon scene I'll give them a pass on the burning grass and carts (the fires would have long since died out) as poetic license.

I hope that they have sketched out the entire story and end it when it should end rather than try to keep it going forever. Heroes lost it's mojo after that first wonderful season. Same with Prison Break and Desperate Housewives.

With ABC owning it and a clear chance at DVD sales, I can see a 3 year story arc but not much longer. But what a glorious 3 years it may be!

D

I don't mind Henry; I just wonder who all of the other children are sometimes, and why he really doesn't interact with them (maybe evil-Mama won't let him).

Didn't care for the cop/donut cliche, bearclaw or not. Really, one of the few quibbles I had with the episode.

Don't do tabloid stuff; don't care. A good actor can convince his/her audience that he/she is totally, completely in love with their co-star, and still go home to spouse with no issue.

We all saw the lamp. We saw the tea set (how could you miss it? They practically shoved it in your face) but didn't make a connection. Too busy paying attention to the story.

I'd be willing to bet that fairy-tale gold is a lot more flexible (and I don't mean physically) than real-world gold, so it would make an incredible sword.

Loved it, and it broke my heart.

Side note: I DO have a little trouble seeing Mr. Gold and not thinking "The Full Monty".
The Sword:

I first thought the sword would be worthless in a fight, given the softness of gold and it's weight.

But for one stroke I think it would work.

I found a web sight that said "pure gold is practically worthless for jewelry" but that it is "softer than silver but harder than tin". www.hannonjewelers.com.

Since I've cut myself on tin, I'm inclinded to believe a gold sword would cut on the first stroke. It would dull very quickly and would likely break if in a long fight with another knight. (Plus it might be slow to work with given it's weight.)

The next concern I had was the weight of the sword. I was concerned the sword would be too heavy to pick up and effectively fight with (maybe 80 lbs). But I found that the average historical sword weighed 4.5 lbs (http://thearma.org/essays/weights.htm) so even though gold is about 2.5 times heavier than steel (19.3 a gram vs. 7.85 on average for steel), a gold sword would still only weigh 11 lbs.

Conclusion (to my surprise): The gold sword would likely work!

Gold is REALLY heavy, so I dont know if your maths do the trick (they might), but what I DO know is that you need a sharp egde on a sword - you will never get any sharpness with gold. A gold mace maybe ?
Waaaay too much time on your hands....
P.S.: and I liked that for once the match was won by evil!
The best part of the episode was the killing of the "original" Charming. During the combat with the barbarian I was all "Yeah yeah we know where it will go" and I really didn't expect that spear across his chest!

P.S.: obviously Midas' gold is not our Au79 gold :)
Staff
I like your thoughts on magic gold. I thought the kill off was brilliant, both because it was unexpected and also because i like the idea that Prince Charming was raised tending sheep and hanging out with his mom.
Nooo! Mary and Sark? Say it ain't so!
Josh Dallas is married but I like to pretend he's not. Is that bad?
1 - I don't have a problem with Henry. He's actually one of the only TV kids that I do like. I don't see why people have such an issue with him.

2 - Yeah, I can see him being the front man. ;)

3 - Not married, that I can tell, but engaged. And yes, he should be concerned!

4 - Honestly, I didn't notice anything. I SAW the stuff you mentioned, but it didn't click until you mentioned it. :P

5 - Maybe Midas doesn't turn things into gold, he just gold plates them? Hah! That would piss off a lot of people if they found out!

6 - Both. Loved it, and it hurt the heart too much.

As an aside, about the Sheriff and Regina doing the nasty when Henry is in the house. Secretly banging someone while your kid is asleep in the house is just kinda creepy. What if Henry needs a drink, or hears something, or any other number of things? It's just wrong.
What if Henry is really just another one of Rumple's kids as well. Meaning whatever he does to children when he gets them. Maybe turn them into trolls or something. Maybe Henry really is a troll. Then that would mean these twin Prince Charmings are...then that would mean Emma is half-troll...which leads us back to Henry. Am I making any sense? lol!
Second episode, (and perhaps premiere). Henry was the Evil Queen's father's name. I'm asssuming that since he was sacrificed to enable the curse, that young Henry is the reincarnation of her father. This is why he knows what's real.
Staff
We need to break down the reincarnation theories going around! How did that get started? Does sacrifice imply reincarnation? None of the characters are reincarnated into our world, they are magically transported and "locked in time", a physical move (which is why tehre is physical evidence of the fairy tale world in the mines). I don't see the logic of Emma giving birth to a reincarnation of Regina's dad instead of a normal baby, and they haven't really suggested anything regarding reincarnation. Is there a spoiler I missed, because this theory seems to be gaining momentum but as far as I can tell, no evidence. Edify me!
I like Once Upon A Time. I really do. But i didn't think this weeks episode was so great.

I lost him once, now i have him back...but it's like i still don't have him...back.

I mean, i'm trying so hard to be strong...but he just keeps coming.

Seriously who writes those lines. Don't they seem weird to anyone else?

As much as I enjoy watching Jennifer Morrison can please someone make a chart of her facial expressions. Or lack thereof. But maybe it's the writers fault and the script really says "Emma looks mildyl irritated" every time she has a scene.

And somehow i think this one bite of bearclaw she gulped down satisfies her calorie intake for the next week. I just cant picture her eating such a thing in real life. What makes it somewhat harder to believe her charcter does.

Also, and i usually am not that kind of guy, but does she seem more well rounded in some areas since i saw her on How I Met Your Mother?

Finally. as much as i love Robert Carlyle, i think this weeks Rumpelstiltskin was a bit overacted.

Plus, if I would have a possibly life changing date i'd sure as hell go early AND check if I knew the way.
Staff
The lines are sometimes pretty weak- luckily they've cast actors who make the most of them. Really concerned about Emma's pants, would love to see her in chinos/sweat pants, etc. Also concerned about her almost waist-length hair.
Yeah I can't watch this anymore it's just completely gone off the rails of what I was hoping it would be, which is more like Fables (the comic of course). Oh well.
Then why did you start watching it, when it was stated, by the creators in the beginning, that it was going to be nothing like Fables?

In Fables, they know who they are. They know where they came from. They're just in a different place. In OUaT, they DON'T know who they are. Right there, that's a major plot difference! What made you think they would be similar?
Not to mention the fact that James is not really his name. That was his brothers name that he had to adopt. So for now he is back to just being Prince Charming.
I thought this episode was great and I am soooo loving the Prince/Snow storyline in the real world and the fairy tale world. And as much as I like Henry... I have to admit that I didn't even notice that he was not in this episode... Hmmmmm....
Henry was in the beginning of this episode. He was just MIA for the rest of the episode.
I am a little tired of set up. Is first season just going to be an exhibition of what fairy tales characters would be like in the real world or is there going to be some semblance of a plot or the feeling of moving forward? Plus, they should have had more non-fairy tale characters in the beginning if they're going to use mythology from everywhere. Why not have Djinn's or Minotaurs to at least show us how far from fairy tales they intend to go. And changing Midas from being cursed to blessed, I don't remember the fable with the morale is "greed is good".
Why would they show us everything that would be in the series in the first couple of episodes? That would defeat the purpose of setting up a plot. Also, they barely touched on the Midas thing and I still saw it as a curse. You have to look at the way Midas constantly stands and acts about his hand. He simply may be making the most out of an unfortunate situation.
I think the subversions of the traditional fairy tales and their characters are one of the things I'm enjoying most about this series. I like the fact that they aren't the stories from our childhoods. Keeps things intriguing.
ahhhh loved this review!

Men, you are so right. Emma and Graham need to hook up RIGHT NOW (SPOILERS: they will LOL)

They have this mistery about the future and path of their relationship that is what get me hooked on couples.

Snow and Charming are flipping adorable, but I already know they'll end up together...they are already in love...so I don't worry about them. Just sit and enjoy their awesome ride.

BTW I think this episode was incredibly written specially because... JDavid does love her (that's something that happened "in the past" when they married, got mixed DNA etc) but he doesn't remember that he loves her...that he is supposed to love her so when he got his memories back maybe he started thinking that whatever he feels for Mary is uncertain, is not supposed to happen. Hence him leaving her and going after his wife-who he was supposed to love.

(1) not gonna lie, it was nice. I like Henry but I feel we need to see some character deepth there.

(2) YES! or at least he shoud be LOL Seriously, I love him so very much I wouldn't even need any bear claws...

(3)No idea

(4) I saw the teacups...but thought about Beauty and the Beast(but I guess that BanB only had 2 teacups?)

(5)yeap

(6) Yes I did. Only great shows really break our hearts XD
is prince charming mother little bo-peep?
I still don't know how i feel about them doing the flashbacks to fairy tail world backwards or all out of order. We all know how that worked out for Lost ... and considering some of the same writers are in on this one - i hope they remember what they wrote this time.
I never watched "Lost" so the flashbacks and such work just fine for me.
It was a good episode, but I'm totally bummed out by Charming ditching Margaret for his

creepy fake wife. Couldn't stand that actress in Damages (she was a whiny, total waste of space), and loathe her in Once. I sure hope the writers drop her down a well and let Charming get with Snow. Wish...wish...wish...
Awesome episode, awesome series! I'm addicted to "Once Upon a Time" and can never miss an episode!

Micky Mouse! Theres a stuffed toy in the case when Charming first walks into the shop
1. It's better than waffles with chocolate. Although I have to admit that last week he wasn't that annoying. Or maybe the episode was so good that I didn't think about it.

2. He is HOT. I am still wondering if he is the huntsman...other possibilities?

3. If he is, he should be concerned. This two have chemistry even in fairyland...

4. I was too angry about what I saw coming...damm!!!

5. Not even Schwarzenegger in his best years could hold a gold sword. Too heavy!!!!

6. It hurt to watch it, but still loved it.
i found my new LOST!!!!!!
Also gold has high density; so unless Charming wants to use a soft, heavy weapon to fight he should just hang it on a wall somewhere ;)
Did anyone else notice that King Midas is probably to blame for messing up Cinderella's happy ending? :P

Rumplestiltskin asked for the whereabouts of a certain fairy godmother in exchange for a new prince... And we saw him kill that fairy godmother a few episodes ago. Also, the timeline fits.
Staff
Yeah they are definitely working off a timeline, probably posted up in the writer's room on index cards. Seriously almost glad Cinderella's happy ending was messed up that girl was wild!
I did notice that timeline as well. Though it all works out for her in the end because Emma makes a new deal. But yeah, he didn't seem to care about thinking it through.
it prince charming's "dad" not king Midas who makes the deal
Forgiving that gold is very SOFT, and would make a garbage sword. The biggest problem would be its weight, A freaking dragon couldn't lift a solid gold sword.
God the evil queen gets on my nerves.
What about Mr.Gold? Is he a double agent? In Fairytale land he is horrible, while in our world he tries to help break the curse or enforce it?
I'm still not sure how the premise of this is going to make a long TV show.
According to my 11 year old daughter, in stories of King Midas, he accidentally turns his daughter into gold. Sooooo... maybe that will rid us of Abigail/Kathryn. She also thinks that the shieriff is the Huntsman sent to kill Snowwhite. He does seem to do Regina's bidding. Watching the previews for next episode, I think she may be on to something. She knows her fairytales. Makes it even more enjoyable to watch the show.
Yes! Turn Abigail to gold! That may explain why Charming ended up with Snow. lulz

You needed your daughter for that one? You need to read some mythology my friend. Or just watch some more movies that have Greek things in them.

On that subject, I was a little thrown by that story being in the show. That's not exactly a fairy tale. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it annoyed me a bit.
you need to play some of kings quest games.
I was thinking that, too! Interestingly enough, the protagonist of that series is named Graham and dresses like the woodsman in Snow White. Hmmm.

So sorry... Of all the responses, I haven't read any that pointed those two things out. And no, I do not read books that have any mythology as it has never interested me. My daughter is however, obsessed with all things to do Greek mythology.
She loved this one then. Just don't let her major in it in college when she gets there, lol.
Lolol.... So true.
I was figuring since Emma was a bailsbondperson they have some sort of training that would qualify her for a small town deputy.

All I saw in Gold's shop was the freaky people-dolls.

LOVED that Henry was nowhere.
I like that you brought up that she is a bailbondsperson because it made me think, if she is good at finding out stuff, shouldn't she do a background check on Kathryn and David Nolan? Help out her mom a bit.
Oh, and forgot to mention!! Fellow "LOST"ies: MacCutcheon 60 baby!!!! I need a bottle of that...
I LOVED this episode. I LOVE this show. Also... I might love Ginnifer Goodwin. Screw that, no might, I'm pretty sure I do.

Questions

-While, as previously stated, I'm not as anti-Henry as many seem to be, this episode was nicely done, and did not suffer from lack of Henry.

-I think so, he seems like he's got a guitar on the back seat of his car. Also, I want to go to that bakery.

-If she's not, and you know her, please feel free to give her MY number.

-Too many to comment. But- AWESOME.

-Pure gold is too soft for an effective sword. An alloy would be fine, excepting that it'd be ridiculously heavy.

-LOVED it. HATED what they're doing to my favourite couple of Snow White and Prince Charming, but that's how TV works.

Other things: Lily, props for using the word Idyllic. Great word. Underused word.

King Midas looks scary much like Kenneth Branaugh.

More props for "stable of stolen babies".

This episode, as you said, definitely identified clear lines. We've got the fairy-tale world well thought out. We've got some solidly connecting things in the real world. And lastly we've got R-Stilts running the show in BOTH worlds and smiling maybe just a little bit too much...
Oh why did I hate this episode?

It had the least amount of magic of them all for me.

So let down. Despite all that screen time with Mr. Kissable.
An episode with very little Henry and I'm calling it the best of the season so far. 'Cause... damn. That kid is SO annoying. Action, horrible effects, character development, death, secrets, lies, reveals and emotional turmoil, this episode had it all and it was superb. Even the cheese was awesome. Seriously, Emma, you really think two adults shouldn't make the beast with two backs in the same house of a child? Oh, you simple girl. Either that, or she was just so angry at Graham for knocking boots with the mayor that she was grasping at any straw to make him feel bad? Either way, FANTASTIC episode and I can't wait to see the next one, after that teaser trailer!
I did like most of this episode (way more than that stupid mine one, that was horrible). But didn't yall see it coming??... that they wouldn't get together. Whenever a show has a "meet me at this exact spot at this exact time and we'll run away together" moment (which is kind of a cliche), it never ever works out! Something is bound to go wrong. I was expecting the mayor to literally/physically stop David from meeting Mary Margaret at the toll bridge, but they went in a bit of diff. direction by giving his memories back.

I also didn't really like some of the contrived plot details that seem to crop up in this show. In this episode, why did the "new" prince charming have to never see his farmer mother again? According to the show, it's cuz Midas would find out that he wasn't really the Prince. But that seems highly unlikely. Obviously the writers needed the mother to give the Prince her true love ring... but when you come up with random situations like him never seeing her again that don't make any sense, the story/show loses that sense of "reality." I just get frustrated when things like that happen.

Also, not necessarily about this episode, but I'm wondering why the characters don't have the same/similar personality traits to their real fairy tale selves. I get that their memories were erased, but it would have made a little bit more sense to have Mary Margaret be more similar to her past self. Snow White was frickin spunky in the past, and now (while she's very sweet and nice) she's all crying over a man and letting the mayor push her around, and letting the creepy doctor be a jerk to her. Also Katherine (Prince's blonde wifey) was super snobby in the fairy tale world but is all nice in the town.... why?
Well part of the curse was that the Evil Queen created basically whatever lives/personalities she wanted, which was her happy ending. That was the draw for her. She could turn Snow White into this meek little person with no backbone and a sad life. That was her ultimate revenge. Just like she could have Kathryn be nice and married to Prince Charming to make it as unlikely as possible that Snow will get her happy ending. Because if Kathryn acted like she did as Abigail, then David would have no problem leaving her and going with Mary Margaret.
Ya, I was feeling the same about Mary Margaret. She makes me a little sick as a sweet little school teacher. Grow a pair girl! (Or well, maybe don't, but you know what I mean.) That doctor is GROSS!!! How big of a self-involved d-bag is he? Yes, of course she quit her job that she loves b/c some guy didn't call her back after one lame date where nothing happened except that they had the worst dinner conversation ever. Get over yourself Dr. Creepy.
I thought that same thing, god how self-centered is he?
So, here is my question: Was the first Prince Charming named James or was the shepherd version named James? Meaning, does Snow White know about the switch and different name.

Also, it does end happily, right?
I think, since Charming is well known as James after he and Snow are married, that James is the actual name of the twin that was killed. The shepherd had to take over that name and persona. He had to become his brother. I don't think Snow knows about the original prince who died, or ever met him. She met and fell in love with the shepherd in disguise as his dead brother.
Well the shepherd version would have had to take the name James, to keep up appearances. In some sense, it doesn't really matter what his original name was. If in fact it was James, then he was pretty stupid to tell Snow White that seeing as it could expose him as not the original. They haven't said whether or not Snow White knew about the switch (probably not, because how would she). I bet they'll have an episode where she finds out and then gets all upset for no reason.
King Midas calls him Prince James at one point, so I'm pretty sure that isn't his Shepherd name.
I love this show, I loved this episode. I just CRAVE this show every week!
I love that show. Seriously, I caught it a bit late (like last week, but those first eps were amazing) but I'm definitely hooked. It's nice to see some consistence and that everything is connected in the fairytale world (It's like fringe but for kids).

I'm just a bit confused about those fake memories. Henry said that people in storybrooke had a foggy memory about their past in the real life (ours). Now, they're not foggy at all but just fake for everyone. Am I the only to be disturbed by that ?

As said below, the cast is just perfect : Goodwin, Parrila and Carlyle are amazing.

I'm just a bit saddened by my limited knowledge of fairytales. I sometimes find myself scratching my head trying to remember who does what...
Got just the thing to help. www.gutenberg.org

search fairy tales (over 125 listigns)

Brothers Grimm (2)

Should be able to look up any known book for reference here.

I don't know how David managed to do that to Margaret. I fall in love with her every scene, what a beauty!
I love this show so much. Aside from the beautiful scenery (CGI fight excluded), the impossibly attractive cast and the little shout-outs to Lost, this show is just wonderfully written. I can excuse the fact that the writers just spat in my face last night because it was executed so well. I knew it was a little too soon for David and MM to start a relationship but it was no less heartbreaking to watch it play out.

To answer some of your questions:

Henry is best in small doses, so it was great to see him in only one scene. I don't shake with rage at the sound of his voice when it's used so minimally.

I think jeggings are the only prerequisite to be considered for a deputy sheriff position.

I don't think Ginnifer is married but I thought Josh Dallas was, so his wife should definitely be concerned because Ginny and Josh have electrifying chemistry.

And lastly, from what I remember of chemistry, gold is extremely soft and has to be mixed with some other metals to be hardened. So if that giant brute hadn't killed Prince (A-Little-Less) Charming that useless, Toy-R-Us rubber sword would've definitely sealed his fate.
"Margaret hooks up with this guy."

Snow White has a thing for Doc??????

Nahhhhhh, that would be DOPEY!!!!
... Isn't gold way too soft to make an effective sword?

As everyone stated no lasting edge or strength but more important it would weigh in nearly twice as much as forged iron/steel and very front-heavy with a 1 handed hilt.
Thank you! What kind of moron trades tempered steel for soft, malleable gold?

The fairy tale kind, evidently.

I did give them points for the parts of the fight scene beforehand where it looked like those guys were wielding weapons of the appropriate weight.

I loved this episode, this show is so good and I really like the fact that they show the backstory of a different character each week.

Random thoughts:

- The chemistry between Ginnifer and Josh Dallas is great.... I want them t be together in real life.

- That was some really bad CGI with the first battle

- 2011 is the year of the twins and switched identities (hello, Revenge!)

- Is Rumplestiltskin behind every business?

- No Henry......YES!!! Seriously, he has to die.

Looking forward to the next episode! Thanks Lily!

BTW, since you like Revenge what do you think of Ringer? While it's no Revenge, I do recommend it. Ringer is the definition of a soapy- ridiculous show, a fun and addictive mystery soap and my guilty pleasure.
Next week, you may get your wish about Henry. Did you see the clip of Emma curled in a ball crying her brains out?

Yes, but I have a feeling it's going to be the sheriff
Can you just "BECOME" a deputy without graduating from a police academy?

Yes, by appointment of the sheriff.

Can you really run around town policing people in a motorcycle jacket, high-heel boots, and jeggings? NO!!! Don't really have the legs for it !

Are Emma and Sheriff Graham the only police in Storybrooke? Why not? Mayberry, RFD, Brimfield, MA home to the largest flea market on east coast....when you call the police dept you get a recording saying "If you have an emergency call the state police. If you'd like to leave a message I'll get back to you on Weds."
I had new thoughts. One was, Josh Dallas separated from his wife recently, as in after the show started. Do you think she watched the show and was like, "Um, honey, why don't you ever look at me like that?"

Also, did it bother no one else that it's kinda creepy that Prince Charming so easily started going by Prince James, and he was comfortable enough with it that he kept insisting to Snow White that he has a name? It wasn't even his own.
Yes, I thought that was weird too. He really didn't want to be called Charming and was offended she wouldn't call him James. But I figure he had to keep his identity a secret from everyone and he really did "become" James. Remember that he and his mother said they'd never see each other again. His old life was totally gone.
You're right, he really did "become" him. Though I am slightly bothered also by how quickly he seemed to "become" him. It was presumably only a matter of weeks at most. So it seemed a little too easy for him.
"Shepherd Charming had an idyllic life frolicking with lambkins"

You know why shepards wear robes???

Sheep RUN when they hear a ZIPPER!!!!!!!!!
I could barely pay attention. Sadly I'm losing interest in the show.
I really didn't think much of this episode either. It is my least favorite of all of them.
*Gasp* - *Choke* - *Gargle* - *Faint*

(regains consciousness)

Whoa! What happened? I remember reading a comment about Once Upon a Time, and then - blackness. It had something to do with paying attention. I can't seem to remember. Oh well. I'll just read this comment from aliSuz and - -

*Gasp* - *Choke* - *Gargle* - *Faint* . . . .

Load More Comments