Once Upon a Time: Sonny-Side Up

Once Upon a Time S01E19: "The Return"

The best laid plans, am I right Regina? Yeah, I'm referring to the old adage that dictates "the best laid plans of mice and witches do often go astray." Once Upon a Time is counting down the next three ALL. NEW. EPISODES. with a the completely swaggering implication that it's "COMING APART AT THE SEAMS! All will be revealed!" I couldn't be more excited...and yet at the same time, last night raised a hell of a lot more questions than it answered. I'm still a little ruffled over the August thing. Remember how we were all sure he was the Rumpelstiltskin's son? Man, they played us, starting with him throwing himself out of bed...

I hope they got that on the first take, because that actor threw himself across the room!! Do you think he and his acting guru went over movement a bunch before that happened or did he just go off an adrenaline burst? I love people who put in tons of effort. Anyway, they then insinuated that this was an old injury Rumpelstiltskin's Wee Boy sustained while darting around a donkey carriage, forcing his glittery/evil father to come on out and kill the donkey driver.

I love how turning evil means your hair goes crimpy. The body glitter is forgivable, the giant contacts are whatever, but someone sitting down with Robert freakin' Carlyle and crimping his hair? To be a fly in that make up trailer.

Also loved the villagers' reactions to Rumple turning the man into a snail and stomping on him. They were not surprised AT ALL, kind of like, "Yep, that was a bad one." How many tubby men had Rumple slaughtered since leading the army of children off the battlefield?! Rumple would also kill this bitch off-screen before the end of the show:

He also let his own stylishly coiffed son slide into a swirly green vortex (similar to the one that appeared in the magic hatter's hat). Cowardly indeed.

But I still cried like my pony had been stolen when he wrapped his arms around August at the end and embraced him as his "beautiful boy!" Whether he was just saying "boy" with a Scottish accent or the kids name is Baylord is immaterial: It was beautiful.

Well, beautiful LIES apparently, because as soon as August got his hands on the curly knife, he tried to compel his Rumple to do his bidding, which threw both me and Robert Carlyle into a rage because we had been PLAYED. All seventy pounds of Robert Carlyle came at August like a flying squirrel, and August looked as threatened as if he were being attacked by one of those novelty sized helium birthday balloons.

You can't threaten a dying man, and August is going to die unless the Savior (Emma, heaven help us) starts believing in the curse or magic or fairies by a certain undisclosed time. Do you think the characters will pull a Peter Pan and make us clap for our TVs if we believe in fairies/August/Once Upon a Time? Maybe he's Tinkerbell's son, Tinkerbeau. When you look at last night's episode through the prism of next week's promo (and I always do, the "next on Once Upon a Time teasers" are the most important 30 seconds of my night), next week's episode apparently features a crying man pulling a puppet out of a gushing stream and cradling it (BWAAAA HAHAHAHA). Let's break that down:

1. We already have a Geppetto character, the elderly smiling man who tags around with Jiminy.

2. Is August a puppet made by Geppetto, and thus his son?

3. So Geppetto was possibly sterile?

I just feel like if someone pulled down August's pants this episode, they would see shivery little wooden puppet legs with joints at the knees. Isn't that what OUaT is insinuating, or should I check the expiration dates on my yogurt because that is crazy talk?

Luckily for August, it probably won't take much to convince Emma, she is on a roll these days. She lost her ponytail holder but her extensions are looking fresh and last night she had several decent-colored dress shirts tucked into her jeggings. And she met Sidney at Granny's and slammed down his flower-vase bug on the table!

The next thing she should have slammed down was her badge, but instead she asked Sidney—who has spent the last few weeks laughing in her face—to give her some key information. Emma, he burned you; don't hand him a lit cigarette, pull up your sleeves, hold out your wrists, and say, "Don't burn these!" Stop allowing him to lie to you, don't quiz him on his romantic life, just go back to the station and figure out a warrant for his arrest.

Or throw the lamest party I've ever seen, whatever. Snow was all shocked at how many people turned out. Like, the four middle-aged guys gathered around the Cheetos and that one old bitch who called you a ho? Girl, Regina did a NUMBER on you. But she was exactly right to keep David at arm's length, though saying it was like "dark forces" wanted to keep them apart seems like a rather vague term for what has actually been keeping them apart: his horrible behavior.

Ugh, what a creeper. Sneaking up and kissing his estranged, runaway wife on the forehead while she's trying to sleep? Don't sneak up on someone who's been abducted, you weirdo. Then he gave her this smarmy grin and was like, "You're kind of amazing." (?!?!)

No one can ever use that phrase ever again. Even if you were using it as an ironic throwback phrase at this point: Cut it out. David is so gross. She handled telling him to get the hell out of there pretty gracefully, but seriously, how are the writers going to endear me to his Storybrooke incarnation again after he's been such a buffoon? I really don't know what it would take to get me to approve of him when he's not dressed up in his bodkin and tights. They may have to organize another cliff-save, like when he pulled Mary-Margaret back from an abyss that stretched down to the center of the earth. That would help.

But that does not detract in any way shape or form from how excellent last night's episode was. Regina asked Rumple in the beginning why he helped her with the curse if he was going to fight against her, and this episode gave us a satisfactory answer to that question: He wanted to get his Wee Beigh back. The fact that Emma called Regina a straight-up sociopath and told her she was going to take Henry back is huge—HUGE. Like, she should have said it in the second episode but I respect that the show finally hit that important milestone last night. And I loved the way they talked about the two worlds. Our world is without magic, but in the other, magic—dark and positive—is all around them.

And here is where I'm going to do a little crazy rant, so bear with me, but I'd argue there is magic APLENTY in this world, and I don't mean the laughter of children. I'm talking about science. All the incredible thing that happen around us—biochemical exchanges and electrical phenomena—once we explain them, they are science, but until they are explained they fit every criteria of what could be called magic. Physicists don't yet understand why there are negative and positive charges, and the fact there are two charges and they oppose each other is what essentially keeps the stars apart. And while one day they will no-doubt explain it, the explanation doesn't stop it from being incredible that there's such a natural symmetry and poetry to our existence. Is all I'm saying. /Crazy rant.

So yeah, awesome episode, I'm still kind of miffed the whole thing was spent jerking me around about August, but Carlyle's acting was worth it, and putting a clock on Emma having to "wake up," as it were (a.k.a. before August collapses in the street and shrivels into a Howdy Doody doll) is simply genius. Cannot wait for the next episode and I cannot WAIT to hear what you thought of this one.

QUESTIONS:

– What is August and who was he on the phone with?

– Will we ever meet/have we met Rumple's son yet?

– What would David have to do to get back in your/Mary-Margaret's good graces?

– How good are Emma's chances of getting Henry back in a court of law? Lawyers in the house, holla at me!

– There's no magic in this world, yet Regina can access those hearts and squeeze them, so how is Regina pulling it off?

I may be totally wrong, but I kinda think that August may be the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. Mainly because, at the beginning of the episode when he is trying to get out of bed, he acts like his leg is extremely heavy and he can't lift it (like it's made of metal). Also, when Rumple is going through his apartment, he lifts up a little dog figurine/paperweight that looks exactly like Toto!

LILY!!!!! You frickin called it, Snow and Charming are a couple in real life!!!!!

i am so for you last question

if there is no magic in this world how did regina

squeeze the hunter heart ???
I'm really annoyed by those hair extensions, with their "just so" curl. Biggest suspension of disbelief for me in this entire series is how someone who spends so much time on their hair could be Sheriff.
Imagine the conversations in the hairstylists' trailer while Jennifer Morrison is getting her extensions attended to, and Robert Carlyle is getting his hair crimped! Especially if Lana Parilla is in there getting all EQ'd up- one of the coolest things about this show is all the ways they make Lana's short hair longer for FTL scenes!
Where there is no magic........in the writing or directing!! I can definitely point a boney finger at the work of Jane Espenson on this one. And Paul Edward for LACK of direction.

Carlyle's acting was much better than the dialog given, the episode arc, and pretty much carried the show.

That said, do WE(collective audience) believe the man who set this whole curse up and in motion is so slow to realize he's being played?? August was already suspect after being caught rumaging thru Gold's lil shoppe of horrors. 1 "Pappa" out of August's mouth and Rumpy catches Emmaitus?? Stretched the believability band a wee bit far lassie.

David(groan) leans in for a grop,errr, a kiss on the forehead of the sleeping Katherine. Yeah, cuz HE's the first person she wants to see. Throw a smile his way and all's back to normal. Oh wait, she doesn't know who it was that drugged her, locked her up, and then dumped her in the back lot like the doggie poop bag you foget to take to the trash!!

And Emma.....once again had her Dummy'Os for breakfast. Walk right up to Regina and let her know EXACTLY what you have planned. Not cuz she's a person capable of backlash right?? Oh wait, didn't you JUST call her a psychopath?? Maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed. Oops, speaking of tools......Sydney!! Oh how the mighty have fallen. Here's an actor coming off a STELLAR performance in Breaking Bad, forced to stumble,studder, and eech out 4-5 lines of trash writing.(slap your agent!!)

And from the past...."Whatever Happened to Frederick"???

Who except for Regina knew that "Mr Gold" held the knife?? I'm betting August(no clue who he is) as on the phone to Regina.
Actually, I think what flipped the switch for Our Mr Gold was the Fairy Godmother Superior telling him that August had found his dad but was unsure what to do about it. (SHE knew about Bae's disappearance, and could have furnished August the info he needed to pull off the charade...) Dangling the thing he wants most in front of anyone is bound to get a response.

Of course, this assumes the Blue Fairy remembers FTL. There may have been no need for the nuns to irritate their landlord before, or maybe no opportunity; still, it seems that Mr Gold wanted a chance to foreclose on the nuns as badly as he wanted a pound of flesh from Mo the florist. Grumpy messed up Gold's chance then (best part of that episode!)- but I'm thinking that the Blue Fairy wasn't all sweetness and light during her interchanges with Nova/Astrid. Maybe there's a little more here than meets the eye...
i`ve been thinking about the time line and, even if time flows differently in these two worlds (100 years in fairytaleland equals a day in the real world or something like that - making the time between bea`s arrival in the real world and the curse unimportant) Bae was at least 14 when he left his world and spent 28 years in the world thus being at least 42. august looks younger than 42.

Also, Gold probably helps break the curse because like this he cant leave the city and go search for his son... as things change little by little, at one point he`ll be able to leave, or maybe he has some plan to stay behind after the curse is broken... anyway just thinking about how much work and planing was put into this curse... he must be really smart and resourceful
time in the world didn't count until emmagot to town. ashley had been pregnant for 28 years.
August looks about 30 to me, maybe a lttle less. I had jokingly suggested he could be Belle's son, rather than Bae (coloring all wrong) but it's more likely he's the Wizard of Oz than Pinnochio (again, coloring all wrong)
Actually, here is an interesting thought. Don't know if it was brought up yet, I didn't read all the comments, so I apologize if it was already mentioned:

Baelfire came to our world. Baelfire met Emma. Baelfire and Emma had some sexy fun.

Emma had Henry.

Not sure how plausible, but wow, what a twist THAT would be!
- Never has an idea of who August could be, but my brother-in-law has thought him to be Pinocchio for a while now.

- Yes, we will meet him. Not sure if we have seen him yet, though.

- Give her some space. I don't have the big hate-on for David that everybody else does. I'm sorry, but if all that evidence pointed to the woman I love as guilty, I'd have a hard time believing she was innocent, too.

- No idea, but she will.

- There is magic in Storybrooke. Due to the curse. Outside Storybrooke? Not so much. Plus, the magic in Storybrooke is Regina's. I don't think she can use it, per se, but it's there, keeping the curse going.
Thought the same as you about the "hearts in boxes, but no magic world?" thing. But maybe that's part of the curse -- now there IS magic in our world, in this one little place.

On a note of what magic *is* in OUaT, I think the writers are doing the classic "Science/Divinity/Magic" trope. In almost every fantasy world, science exists and holds sway (things like Discworld and Xanth being the most notable exceptions) -- there are ecosystems, planets revolve around suns, etc. But these things are usually not the focus, since they're "boring". The most you usually get is some Da Vinci-esque genius inventing gunpowder or something.

Then you have the sense of Divine Powers -- often closely tied with magic (for example the Blue Fairy also being a nun), but not the same thing. This isn't the same as a pantheon like the Greek or Norse, as those are usually treated as simply magical beings. This Divinity is distant, almost never seen, and usually not discussed or confirmed to exist. Outright and obvious miracles, as opposed to magic, are as rare in fantasy as they are in reality. And in the wheelhouse of OUaT, classic fairy tales, religion isn't usually a part of the story because, like science, it's a "boring" part of real-world existence, and had no place in the fantastical folk stories being told to stimulate the imagination.

Then you have magic, and this is the thing from a writer's perspective: it doesn't have to follow rules *until* those rules are discussed in the fiction. Even after that, there's always a way out. That's because, for magic to exist in fiction written by a real society like ours with a good grasp of science, it has to become more about wild unpredictability than mere lack of understanding in order to hold our interest as something mysterious and wondrous and scary.

We know that, with scientific knowledge, enough study will reveal the truth. It may take decades or centuries, but we'll figure it out. For magic to be separate from science in fiction, its rules have to be more guidelines than laws. This is why it's often tied to things that science struggles to explain, or generally ignores -- emotions, the nature of time, personality as a force over nature, reports of psychic powers, etc.

So, the short version would be this: in OUaT, when they say our world doesn't have magic, what they mean is that our world has no system of wild, unpredictable force that defies explanation because it exists according to suggestions rather than laws.

There's a lot they can do with mixing the three together, or contrasting them. I don't expect OUaT to go any further into concepts of Divinity besides the whole quasi-convent thing (which is probably for the best), but eventually we *will* be getting a fuller exploration of regular ol' science and its clashes with magic entering our world. The way classic fairy tales got around that and other plot holes, the Deus ex machina, is unsatisfying for modern audiences. The writers are going to have to start explaining things in relation to reality pretty soon here.
Like where you're going with this- although buddhist philosophy predicted what physics is now finding true on the subatomic level, the presence of an observer influences the results!

I think that maybe there is magic, but not the same kind as FTL. You'd need to recognize the magic to use it. Didn't Jefferson say something like that when he and Regina were in the hallway in the Hat?
I think August is Pinochio!!!
I don't know what David would have to do to win back Mary M. As for me, I can't stand him and I can't imagine ever liking him again. The writers really screwed his character up. Also, though I like Charming much more than David, I hate all the time that was being wasted in the fairytale world on Charming and Snow's relationship. It feels like a waste of time when the series premiere obviously shows them getting married.
I've been pleased with the last three episodes. Thank goodness this show is getting back on track. I was about to give up on it.
No magic in this world?

For some reason that statement has really bothered me since watching this episode.

1) The premise of the show is that these are fairy tale characters living in modern time, only some force is preventing them from remembering (or having any desire to figure out) who they really are.

2) There is also a force preventing the storebrooke characters from leaving the town.

3) I was always under the impression that Regina's keys were somehow magical

4) Doesn't Emma have a magical power of knowing when people are being truthful?

5) Didn't Regina kill a man by crushing his heart that she was keeping in a box? (saw you mentioned that question up there - most puzzling!)

6) Wasn't there a clock that was frozen in time until Emma's arrival?

7) Isn't the whole premise that Emma's presence is magically affecting those around her?!

8) HOW IS THERE NO MAGIC SERIOUSLY YO?

lol.

Possible answer - the blue fairy did not send the boy to our world, but a different world entirely.

The last few episodes have had me totally drawn into the story, the characters, everything except the graphics. This one was pretty much a snoozer to me. I knew August was not the son - they haven't made things that obvious which I appreciate. But I am always willing to forgive a down episode bc they have had so many good ones recently!
This show is pretty good and this was definitely the best episode yet.

- I've got nothing better than Pinocchio.

- Surely we haven't seem him yet, there's not enough males in that demographic around town. When we meet him it will be awesome.

- First and foremost David has to start acting like an adult and be HUMBLE. I mean even in this episode he could have said I know I didn't trust you my bad, please forgive me, but instead he's like put yourself in my place, it looked really bad so I'm totally justified. He's a whiny little brat and needs to grow up fast. If Mary Margaret sees him acting selflessly and gives her some space, coupled with something as great as a cliff save, then he'll deserve her again.

- The hearts are a bit confusing but maybe they are magic finished product. If crushing them is not a magical act then it might be OK. It would be awesome if Regina found a loophole in the no magic world thing, but given that Rumple basically did the curse does she have any magical ability at all? She seems much less powerful than the character from the fairy tale.
"Do you think the characters will pull a Peter Pan and make us clap for our TVs if we believe in fairies/August/Once Upon a Time?"

I'm hoping for something better: the fairy-tale world is being destroyed, and Emma suddenly looks right at the screen and pleads with the viewer to "give me a name!"
Thinking on the court-Henry thing... do they have a courthouse in Storybrook, considering no one can leave?

I am as of now convinced August is Pinokkio, but then again, I was convinced he was Rumpelstiltskin's son too. He could very well be that cute fish in the Little Mermaid as far as I can predict.
I feel like it wouldn't be too hard for David to come back into everyone's good graces. What he needs to do (and based on the promos, he might be heading in that direction) is take an active stand against Regina. Instead of trying to make MM like him again, he should just be proactive if he wants to prove to her that he does care about her. Once he starts leaning towards his more Charming tendencies, I think the audience will be on his side again and start rooting for that couple once more.
Do we really know that Rumple's son is in our World? what if he ended up in another world without magic? I think in this season finale the characters will go to another world... i dont know...

I do like the theory of Rumple's Son to be Henry's Father...
Great character building and depth in this episode!
I thought this was a great episode. I actually laughed out loud when I read "All seventy pounds of Robert Carlyle" (that's not something I do often).

But I have to disagree about Emma trying to turn Sydney; cops do that all the time. Catch the guy lower on the criminal chain and get them to turn on the mastermind, and I think it's important for us as the viewers and Emma as a character to realize that some people in town are actually better off (at least not stuck in a mirror or having to spend hours each morning applying their body glitter and crimping their hair).

Also David did earn my forgivness for all his head smacking behavior. He apoligized in a real way to Catherine, no more excuses or lies. He tried to appoligize to MM (but he wouldn't be David if he didn't screw that up a little) but she's getting smart enough to realize she should just stay single for now. If he can keep his back bone growing and stay honest and honorable I may not only be able to forgive him but see the connection between David and Charming.

As for the questions, in story telling August should have been on the phone with Henry, but it didn't sound like he was talking to a kid, and logically how would he have called Henry without tipping off Regina? I think Rumple's son may be dead if it's been a hundred years or more since Bae left (I'm going on hearsay from interviews with producers). I think Emma can get Henry back only if she can prove Regina unfit (ie she framed MM or arranged Catherine's kidnapping or has a locker full of human hearts hidden in her father's crypt). And lastly I do think there is magic in this world, that's why Regina's keys work and she could kill Grahm, and Ruby could smell David to track him. I just think it's muted, or more difficult to access unless you know how or are practiced in it. And if you're still reading this novel of a post: Thank you :-)
What I don't understand is, why would Rumple want to end the curse if he hasn't found his son yet. Wouldn't he be trying to stop Emma at all cost until he's reunited with Bae?
I agree, I don't get why he would want to end the curse before he fulfills his goal. Maybe he thinks ending the curse will bring Bae back to Fairytale world? Or that Emma's awakening will somehow fundamentally change Storybrooke and draw Bae to Maine?
Maybe he wants to use Emma to find him like the mad hatter used her power to make the hat...
Staff
Like how much of this show is just based on single parents losing touch with their kids? Single mom Emma wants Henry, Rumples wants his son back, single mad hatter wants his daughter back (sidebar::: was she the girl talking to Rumple's son, p.s.?)
That's a common theme in Disney movies too. I think it says something about society's views on the subject that this (wicked stepmothers or widowers) is constantly used as a story telling device.
You're right, Lily, this show does have a lot of people trying to reconnect with their kids - after making bad decisions and losing said kids.

OUaT = what people will do for love, because of love, because they lost their love, etc.

Bae was talking to Morraine, not Grace (the hatter's daughter). The actresses do look alike, though.
I wish Mary Margaret would finally open her eyes, stop mucking about and FINALLY HIT THAT.
I don't quite like them spelling his name Rumplestiltskin when it's actually spelled Rumpelstiltskin... I want it to be the same as it was in the book I read as a child :/
Lost in translation. Wiki lists a whole range of origins and names (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpelstiltskin). Pick one, any one.
Ahhh best review yet, Lily! I seriously cracked at calling a David a weirdo for kissing Kathryn's forehead.

Alas, I was also one of those suckers who was sure August was Baefire. Why do I even bother trying to guess what's going on? I thought though August would try to stab Mr. Gold/Rumple rather than command him but I guess August was slightly smarter because who could have all the magic without turning himself all gross and pruney - at least forgetting that you can't use magic in the real world.

David needs more Charming scenes and less David scenes.

And oh, Emma's last scene with Regina. So kickass! Loved it!
"David needs more Charming scenes and less David scenes."

THIS!
Baelfire is so Henry's dad. Can't wait to meet him, hope they cast someone awesome.
Staff
I 100% agree...it would also explain why Emma is so close-mouthed about him. And when he comes back and she explains to Henry she lied to him about who his father really was, thats going to be a huge trust issue that Regina will make the most of.
If August was Henry's Dad Emma has really serious issue not remembering him. But maybe she was on drugs (and so in jail) when she did get pregnant...It could be fitting that Rumple's son would become an addict.

I don't know what can David do. Maybe the only thing will be remember everything from FTW, reunite Emma with MM and then maybe we could forgive him. So at the end of the show...

Can we please have a copy of the curse? So we can read it and understand it better...Mr Gold has also some powers (the wheel spinning that made David forget....) so maybe the powerful magical people from the other world can do something more?
How's it fitting? August is NOT Rumple's son :S
You are right. I need more sleep. I totally jumped one sentence and merged two thoughts!

1) August as Henry's Father -> Emma doesn't remember cause of drugs/rape/bad stuff

2) Baelfire as Henry's Father -> totally cool and he could have become a really bad person (and Henry's father seems a bad person thorugh emma's story)

yeah i really like that idea, Baelfire that is; August couldn't have been able to leave storybrooke could he? it's too good an opportunity to miss Henry's father being a fairy tale character.
Baelfire will be older and able to come and go from Storybrooke because, like Emma, he wasn't there for the curse. He got out beforehand. He wouldn't be affected by the "magik" keeping the characters in the town. But unlike Emma, he would probably remember the other world because he wasn't a baby when he left.
I agree with you, David is so annoying like completely different from James/Charming, he has no honor or bravery, he lies to everyone and seems a little bit like a p^ssy to me.

1. Henry "Accelerate the plan" obvs.

2. I guess we will because Rumple keeps saying that the helps he savior/Emma "For the future". Maybe he is just trying to find Bae and get Emma to break the curse so they can go back.

3. By dying and rebirth.

4. Lets see, she's a bounty hunter who has been in jail several times, has defamed Regina even more times, has used her sheriff status to help her friend/mom and has no house, no money and she is starting to believe the entire town are characters from a book. She has a great chance at winning.

5. That's what i've been thinking, who can Regina squeeze hearts, how can Sydney still be 'cursed' by that wish, how come all the deals the characters made with Rumple are still worth here? A lot of magic happens for a 'land with no magic'
Emma's chances of getting Henry back in a court of law = zero. (without a deus ex machina, of course.)
Even with the knowledge that Regina is a sociopat?
Knowledge isn't proof and there isn't any of that.
One more question: where should the custody battle take place? Because if they have to go to Boston for the trial...maybe we'll se all the witness die/whatever.....except Emma and Henry...
Great episode. Though being jerked around that August was Rumple's kid the whole episode and then turned out he wasn't was a nice burn by the producers.
REDACTION:

I just read some of the comments and one said that it has been confirmed that August was takling to Henry on the phone.

I had though so at first, then changed my mind because it sounded like August was speaking to an adult. On the other hand, he has always taken Henry more sriously then the others, so that sort of makes sense. But if he is only doing this to get magic medical help, is he just using Henry?

Also, some of the comments here are saying "maybe the real Bae is Henry's dad"

That would be cool, except remeber what Emma said about Henry's dad?

She lied to Henry and said he was a firefigher who dies heroically.

Then she said that Henry believing that his dad was dead was better then him knowing the truth. This implied that whoever his real dad is, he did something so aweful that Emma thinks Henry can't handle it, and she knows he's a tough kid. So it must be unbelievebly bad, like he abused Emma or something.

I like Bae, he seems like a smart, kindhearted, dawn-to-earth guy, so I'd hate to think he's become that terrible dad Emma was referreing to. Unless she meant something else, I guess.

Maybe he just left her, and it was really traumatic for Emma. That could be explained by the idea that Bae was pulled back into the Fairy Tale world or some other world, or some other magical explaination.
I'm guessing that Bae didn't have the lifeskills to cope by himself (seriously overprotective dad, remember?) so he "fell in with bad company" somehow.

Unlike many of the characters proposed as Henry's dad, Bae at least has the right coloring! (I know, so does the Mad Hatter; but Emma didn't recognize him when they met.) Then again, could Jefferson be Bae? Maybe he's been looking for his dad as hard as Rumplestiltskin has been looking for him...

bae was betrayed by his father pretty bad ... in the last moments before he fell in green thing he was quite enraged so, if we adhere to one of the main theories of this show - we are not borne bad but made bad -, than by the time he met Emma he probably was quite bitter and angry.
it also could be that being sucked from his home (although by choice) and his dad breaking his deal with him, that he flipped and couldn't handle it. He might have become a bad person, turning to drugs or such to deal with the loss of his father and being a homeless kid in a world without magik.
idk. They say there are no happy endings in this cursed world. Maybe since Bae was sent earlier than everyone else, society has impacted him and he turned into a bad person (Emmas one night stand). I think they want to imply just how much an affect people have on other people.
That's an interesting thought. I had just assumed she didn't tell him the truth because he was the result of a one night stand. That's not something you really wanna explain to your kid regardless of how tough he is. However it is a bit of a simple explanation.
Great episode! I was really thrown for a loop when August was revealed to be faking his whole long-lost son routine. He did a really good job of sublty manipulating Mr. Gold into thinking he was Baelfire. I find myself wondering, does the fact that he said he needs magic because he's dying mean that he's just in this for himself? Is he not as reputable a guy as we thought? Despite him not being the real Bae, the scene where Mr. Gold embraces August really made me feel sorry for Rumplstiskin. He's a tragic villiain, addicted to power and killing, yet he has done some good things like saving the children from war, and he so passionately loves his son that Bae is his motivation for everthing he's done. We learn that Belle was not the first person he's lost because of his unwillingness to give up his magic.

Oh, a couple of things about the review. I really liked it but disagreed with a few points.

First of all, I think Gold is saying, "oh, my beautiful Bae", not "boy"

Second, I think that since Kathryn had just returned from a terrible ordeal and David still cared about her (he doesn't love her romantically, but the fact that they were married still makes them more than just friends) makes the kiss on the forehead appropriate. It was just a way of expressing deep, platonic affection and relief that she's OK. I also think he thought she would not wake up.

Q&A:

What is August and who was he on the phone with?

I still don't know who or what he is! I've heard many theories but I'm just gonna wait and see. One thing is clear though, whoever he is, he somehow managed to EMOTIONALLY MANIPULATE MR. GOLD. Just think about that...he manipulated the manipulator; he influenced the actions of the guy who's usually one step ahead of everyone else. SO whoever he is, he's brilliant, he's devious, he's clever, and he's got a plan.

This is just a theory, but he may have been on the phone with the real Baelfire. How else would he have even known the story of what happened between Bae and Rumplstiskin? Unless he read it in the storybook...Otherwise I have no idea who he was talking to, but the fact that he has a partner certainly adds a whole new layer to the mystery.

Will we ever meet/have we met Rumple's son yet?

Probably not yet, but yes I think we will at some point. They made a point of telling his story and making us care about him, so I think so.

What would David have to do to get back in your/Mary-Margaret's good graces?

I don't even know.

He has been such a complete loser lately for no apparent reason. I don't think he can blame the curse for the fact that he's just been really stupid and lame latley. In the Farly Tale world, he's a brave, loyal and dashing hero, but in our world he's been nothing but a coward and a wimp, plain and simple. Why? Who knows. For me to like him again, he would have to be more decisive, loyal to Mary-Margaret, and willing to fight for her. Even then, I couldn't forget what a buffoon he's been.

Her odds are TERRIBLE! Obviously the entire justice system in Storybrooke is in Mayor Regina's pocket, so why even bother? The only thing Emma could have done that MIGHT have helped is NOT TELL REGINA HER PLAN!!! Why give her a chance to hatch a plot to stop you, Emma?

I have no idea how this is posible. I was wondering myself. They also seemed to insinuate that the Mad Hatter believed Emma could somehow use magic...

One last thing...

EMMA!!!! WHY DID YOU TELL SIDNEY THAT YOU FOUND HIS BUG???? AS LONG AS HE AND REGINA STILL THINK THEY ARE MANIPULATING YOU, YOU CAN USE THAT TO MANIPULATE THEM!!! IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE A FEW CARDS HIDDEN UP YOUR SLEEVE, AND YOU JUST GAVE AWAY THE BEST ADVANTAGE YOU HAD!!!!!!

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Curses! Drats! I've been foiled! By the time they revealed that August isn't Rumple's son after all, I was already counting my Trifecta winnings. (Ah well, I hear that the exchange rate between FTL$ and US$ would not have been favorable, anyway. )

On a more positive note, Emma got smart! Opps, but then she got dumb again. (Girlfriend, I'm pretty sure that the argument 'I want to take away someone Regina loves' will not persuasively sway a judge to reverse a closed adoptionbut then again, given that this custody battle will occur 'in a world without magic' that, nevertheless, takes place in a town every bit as magical as Brigadoon, perhaps she will succeed.)

'Bae' that as it may, t is fun to be enjoying this show again. Their other limitations notwithstanding, these writers do well with imagining the fantastical. So thank you, writers, for another entertaining show. And thank you, Lily. I enjoyed your rant, and the quality of you reviews can always be counted on, even during those months when the quality of the show itself was bouncing about like a Blue Fairy in a Beaufort Force 12.

Yet, alas, I fear that everyone's pal TEQ may be facing a rather tough monthgiven the different people in her life, if I were her right now, I would mostly be missing my horse.

Staff
haaaaa I love that. I can imagine Emma leading with that sentence to a custody judge. "Your honor, she took away someone I loved, my roommate. I've known that roommate for three whole months, you honor, so it would make sense to remove the boy she's raised for lo these last ten years in my absence..."
I love Lily's OUaT reviews, but I just think there are too many jokes about hair, makeup and glitter. I don't want to sound sexist, but that seems to be a girl thing.

I'm terrible at predicting things, so I find it hard to answer the questions. But commenting on what I've seen, not what I can predict, I found it interesting that Rumpelstilskin, while he kept a spark of humanity in Flashbackland, was still a coward and was mortally afraid of the magic bean vortex, and had to become totally dark to be apparently fearless. And here in our world, even though he doesn't seem to have any more powers, he doesn't seem fearful at all. It's interesting that while Prince Charming became a total wuss, Rumpel went the other way around.

I loved this quote:

Dr. Cricket: "Did you come here to collect the rent?"

Mr. Gold: "Why does everybody think that..."
I've often pondered why Mr Gold would want to go back to FTL- wouldn't Wall Street be his proper metier? or politics? My guess is that coming to a world with no magic forced Rumplestiltskin to develop another side of his personality- becoming a lawyer (and real estate tycoon) was a perfect fit for someone so interested in contracts! In the 21st century, "might makes right" has been replaced by "Money makes right"- so being smart and successful is more valued than being physically powerful. Okay, his deal with Regina may have given him a good start; but it was brains, not brawn, which got "Mr Gold" where he is today.
Rumple was still a coward in Fairyback after he became "totally dark" - Belle even called him out on it. He was afraid to believe someone could love his dark self, so he turned Belle away. I agree that he has grown a stiffer spine since coming to Storybrooke, and become a better person; he is no longer as afraid of making himself vulnerable (as this episode showed).

Robert Carlyle totally makes this character. I've never rooted so much for such a morally compromised character before. Hmm, well, there was Ben from "Lost"...

I also loved the "Why does everybody ask that?" quote. Even better was the "typewriter wrapped in an enigma covered in stubble" and Emma's response to which side Mr.Gold was on, something like "I don't know, diagonally?"
Staff
I yam who I yam! The hair in this show is epic. This show has the most interesting hair in the TV universe, and I'd be a fool not to call it out once in a while.
I very much like the idea of Rumpel's son and Emma falling for each other. So one of these characters better be him.

On the other hand, if ANOTHER guy that she gets feelings for collapses into some unexplainable, magical based death, I think she might just have a psychotic break. and that wouldn't help her much in gaining custody of a kid.

HOWEVER, if he does in fact turn into a puppet... well I don't know how she wouldn't believe in magic after that.

still, I plan on spending these next three sundays freaking GLUED to my television
Hah. I was always sure that August is Pinocchio. He dropped a few hints in last week's episode (not last night's) when he said he never lied (and something else I don't remember now).

Wouldn't it be a predictable twist if Rumpel's son turns out to be... Henry's father?! I'm betting the writers are hiding that card up their sleeves.

As for Regina and the hearts, I wonder if the tomb is a gateway between the two worlds.
I don't know how the people really age, but it's possible to not recognize someone you have seen 10 years before? Someone you had a child with?
"the Savior (Emma, heaven help us)" Lol!

Bae has green eyes and August blue ones, something that Mr. Gold doesn't seem to remember, I blame Ruple's contacts .P
Did anyone catch Regina stating Sidney was having a "mental break?" Could Sidney need treatment at the hospital instead of prison time, could Gold have to go to said hospital to see Sidney (maybe he will be representing him for abduction)and see Belle by mistake? Oh, Regina didn't think that through at all. I think the writers are staging that, because how else would Gold find Belle. She won't be walking around the streets.
Yeah, I'm happy August didn't turn out to be Bae. I'm not sure why but it didn't seem to fit. I was ok with and had accepted it, though (because by the end I was convinced he was, in fact, Bae. Good one OUaT). After he revealed he was not, I became a little more excited than I probably should have.
~I'm also in the "August is Pinocchio" camp, although I have also considered Peter Pan, which would be cool but wouldn't necessarily explain the dying.

~I really hope so, but how long ago did he leave? Is he even still alive? ...what if Henry is his grandkid or something through the Father's side? That would be weird. Sorry, thinking as typing. Anyway.

~Stop being a clueless ass, for starters.

~No idea.

~I'm not buying the "there's no magic in this world" bit. I believe there's way less magic, and the magic that exists isn't readily accessible the way it was in the other world, but we've still got hearts that exist outside of people's chest, spirit-guide wolves (this one is arguable, I realize), and Emma's frickin Mad Hatter hat. Plus, isn't the town under a curse? Time froze, no one can leave, etc? Wouldn't the existence of the curse itself, in an almost backwards sort of way, necessitate magic?

Also, was I the only one that nearly died during Emma's confrontation and Regina tried to say something nasty and Emma shushed her? Something about the delivery was just wonderful for me.
Peter Pan is still under copyright.
Disney owns at least some rights to Peter Pan (remember the movie?), so there shouldn't be too much trouble getting permission to use it if they want to go there.
Jane Espenson has confirmed that Henry is the one August was talking to on the phone. I wonder, how did August know about Rumple's history with Baelfire? Especially if he is a certain puppet turned boy we all know and love ;) There's also a theory going around that Bae is Henry's dad. One word; AWESOME. :D
There was a bit a while back where he stole Henry's book (most likely for intel) and then - in some way - altered it...of course I don't think we're suppose to know how (yet) but my guess is that's how he knows the story.
Hmn... now... how should I start this one?

Who was August on the phone with? God knows. Now that we know for certain that August isn't Baelfire (which I was so angry about. I was like "HOW DARE YOU STRING ME ALONG LIKE THAT YOU OUaT PRODUCER BASTARDS!" I really thought he was Baelfire too. But, nope, OUaT messed with my mind. (cries) Although now that means that August could be Pinnochio. After all, Next week's episode is called "The Stranger" and the Fairy Tale Land parts of the episode are all about how Gepetto is trying to save Pinnochio from the curse (Or so I've read on other forums, including an exclusive spoiler site for american TV shows) So it's very likely that August might be Pinnochio.

I think we will meet Rumple's son. Somehow, someway, we will meet him, because if OUaT screw me over after giving us all this info on Baelfire and never bother introducing him then I will be angry (then I will go to America and eat the producers like a form of cannibalistic ogre just for the lulz of screwing with their heads) So we HAVE to eventually be introduced to Baelfire. Hell, maybe that's who August was talking to on the phone. Maybe August was talking to the one and only Baelfire. Because who else would know anything about Rumplestiltskin enough for August to know he was convincing Rumplestiltskin in the first place. After all, someone had to have coached him and told him that Baelfire called his father Papa, and Rumple's story isn't probably in the book because Henry can't place Mr Gold. So maybe August was talking to Baelfire.

As for David, he needs to get over some crap before he starts messing with Mary Margaret. I mean seriously, what is his issue? (apparently at some point, Regina is going to try and seduce David too which is going to be totally AWKWARD! but apparently he will reject her, which gives him some good points back) I have to actually see David get his Fairy Tale Land memories back and just be Prince James full time. Forget David, he has no character exposition and I prefer James anyways.

Emma's chances of getting custody of Henry may actually be very good. After all, Emma was a minor when she gave birth to Henry, seventeen in fact, so a year shy of English Adulthood. So (not sure if the legal age of adulthood in America is twenty-one) if Emma was pushed into giving up her child because she was young and in a juvenile detention centre, there is every possibility that coercion could be used as a defense to make the adoption not legally binding. That and Emma can prove (with Henry's testimony) that Regina is emotionally distant and not a good mother figure for Henry at any rate. So probably, dodgy paperwork and Regina's cold ass attitude will do the trick.

As for how Regina can access the hearts and squeeze them? Well she does have Jefferson's (awesome smexy Mad Hatter's) hat. It was only two eps back that we saw her escape Wonderland with her father, leaving Jefferson stranded in Wonderland, and so she'd have his hat, right? If she figured out how to use it herself... well then it wouldn't be a problem for her to open a portal and go and get the hearts. That or something about Regina's magic is still active (just weakened by the curse) so she still has access. Remember the curse was built around what Regina wanted really. So it's possible I guess.

Just a couple of little points I want to make myself. Originally I thought that that Rumple might be Henry's father, but who thinks it might be Baelfire? I mean he was in the real world before everyone else. August was supposedly the one who found Emma on the side of the highway too (or so rumors imply at least) and Pinnochio and Baelfire are around the same age. So why couldn't Baelfire be Henry's father? According to the producers, Henry's father will play a part at some point. Maybe not in the first season, but he will at some point.

Also, just for scyfymum2's information, the Mad Hatter will apparently be returning in episode 21 "An Apple Red As Blood", but whether or not that's in Fairy Tale Land, in the past, or in the present time, I've got not clue. So at least in two weeks we get to see more of Smexy Mad Hatter Sebastian Stan.
Unless time moves differently in the different worlds then Baelfire and Pinnochio would be nowhere near the same age. I may be reading this totally wrong, but in the episode about why Regina hates Snow, her mother mentioned "the deals she had to make" to get them what they had, and Daniel mentioned that her mother was a miller's daughter. The original Rumplestiltskin story was about a miller's daughter. If those two are the same, then Baelfire would have to be at least 14 years older than Regina. I wonder how they'll work around that, because for some reason I imagine that they'll use an actor closer to August and Emma's ages.
I don't know... much like Revenge latest, it was sort of a mixed episode.

- Okay, so they finally gave us some answers: how did they pull off the whole Katherine thing and why did Rumple created the curse.

- Emma, is slowly improving a bit as a character. I laughed so much when August said that it was difficult convincing her of the curse.... you think?! It is kind of sad that she's supposed to be the savior.

- Did anyone really buy Emma's threat? I mean, isn't this like fourth time in the show that she threatens Regina and ends up pretty much the same.

- The episode was sort of boring for me.... I'm also still pissed that the creators lied when they said that they were going to reveal who August was in this episode. I always thought he might have been Bae or Pinnochio.... now I'm going with the second one ( I mean remember the leg thing?)

- Oh my God.... Lily was so right! I finally noticed the whole dialogue thing, the whole scene with MM and David was so cheesy, it was almost like a telenovela. Besides, they're acting was kind of off.

- I don't know but somewhere in my head, I never truly believed that August was Bae.... it was just too predictable for me.

- I was little bit disappointed that they didn't show some scenes of Kathryn being tortured or locked up. Now that would have been fun.... I mean c'mon off-screen? Where's the fun in that? Hopefully they'll show that she is suffering post traumatic disorder or something and tries to kill Henry.

- Only three episodes left... I really hope they deliver!

Staff
These last few weeks of TV have not been kind to your sensibilities. It seems with every review you're like "I just, I just can't enjoy this." that is OKAY. If you have a better story going for these characters, I encourage you to swop the names out for new ones and write it down! sometimes shows don't measure up to how much they inspire us- their loss, your gain :)
Don't get me wrong, I love the show ( even with all the flaws) but some things just bother me and ruin the episode for me.
I'm still waiting for the continuation of the Rumple and Belle story. She is still locked up in a dungeon cell of a mental hospital for the love of god!! As there are only a few episodes left, I'm hoping the writers at least touch on her character's story a bit, and bring her and Mr Gold together in Storybrooke.
I think Emilie De Ravin has at least one more episode so hopefully they tie up this part of the story. We have to prepare ourselves to be very unhappy after the finale though. All season long, very little has actually happened on the show. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)
I just want to know where the mad hatter is? When he fell there was no body. Emma certainly wouldn't make it as a real cop would she? Then again....
Now, to address the points in Lily's review:

1) I was cursing the continuity folks during Robert's tearful reunion, because no matter how wonderfully emotionally charged the scene was, I couldn't get past the fact that Bae's eyes were brown and August's were blue. So right up until he tried to use the Dagger, I thought someone had screwed up. (Someone had, but not who I expected. I love Mr Gold even more now that it's proved he's not infallible!)

2) The guy with the wet puppet is Archie's friend, just dressed differently. He may have never married in FTL (don't remember Colludi mentioning that); in Storybrooke he's a widower (false memories?) Please note that his parents are creepy dolls in Mr Gold's shop, courtesy of Jiminy. Poor guy can't catch a break.

3) MM is actually more like Snow on her own than with David- pheromones? I doubt they will ever get together until she's standing on her own 2 feet- mostly because he doesn't seem able to grow a spine as long as anyone's around to "support" him. It could be argued that D is Peter Pan, and just needs to GROW UP!

4) I've always thought August was the Wizard of Oz, not Pinnochio. The bait-and-switch of this episode makes me think we're being set up for another one. Please note also that August would have had to get the picture of the Dagger from someone- Bae would have seen it, but few others (living).

5) While Bae (unlike many other suspects) has the right coloring to be Henry's dad, I suspect it's not that straightforward. There's at least 2 Ogre Wars, maybe 3. Between the time Bae fell off the map and the enactment of the Curse, there could be centuries! Unless he took a detour to Wonderland or something...
4) I'm sure the picture of the Dagger was in Henry's book.
If they could make that eye color mistake in the Harry Potter movies, where it was actually a very important part of the series in the end, a low-budget show like OUaT is definitely allowed a little error :)
The beauty of it was that they DIDN't make a mistake- as was revealed within minutes when August tried to use the Dagger. I was so convinced by the fact that Rumplestiltskin was convinced. Robert Carlyle has got to be the best actor ever!
Actually it wasnt a mistake, it was because Daniel Radcliffe had problems wearing contacts.
The only way I can think to explain it is that Rump specifically formulated the curse to transport them not only into Storybrooke, but also back in time. Though it doesn't make sense that the curse wouldn't take them back to when Baelfire just fell through (at age 14). He wouldn't want to miss all those years. So why is Rump looking for a grown man to be his son? Centuries passed between Bael falling into the bean hole and the curse being cast, so something about time is very different between the two worlds.
Darn it! I was so sure August was Rumplestiltskin's son; although, I'm going to find the positive and say that at least the writers aren't being too obvious about their mysteries so we can't always guess the answers weeks in advance. Ok, new theory time: Rumple's son is Emma's baby daddy, aka. Henry's real papa.

August must be a Grimm... whoops, wrong show. Pinocchio? Peter Pan? Quasimodo? Merlin (Sword in the Stone is Disney)? Mickey Mouse? Ooh... March Hare to compliment the Mad Hatter!

But now I'm curious about the girl Bae was talking to? Will she show up again or was she just there as a plot point to lead Bae to the Blue Fairy? Probably the latter.
I think the girl who was taken just before Bae was Catherine or Catrin or Caitlin- something like that. And I'm sure we'll see her again; she's the only one who's nice to Bae, so he's probably got a crush on her.
Maybe, but I'm wondering if she's just like Annie from Lost. She appeared as Ben's childhood friend and seemed really important for an episode, but was never seen again and her fate was left unknown. But I guess she'll just be a semi-background character- one of those people you see a bunch of times hanging around in the background or having a few lines here and there.
It was Morraine, the girl who got taken by the army in the episode where Rumplestiltskin becomes The Dark One.
wasn't she Kathryn or did i just presume that ?
Kathryn is Midas' daughter in fairy tale land.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"- Arthur C. Clarke

I may have misrecalled the quote; but the sentiment remains. HAL's creator touched on the dichotomy that just because you can't understand it so it's magic to you (like the guts of my car shall ever remain to me!) does not mean that it is magic. My mechanic makes a good living off people like me who cannot or will not comprehend what to him is very logical.

There's been an argument for decades that "fairy tales" as such fell into decline with the rise of education and rational thought. Despite Galileo's difficulties with the Church of the time, the earth does revolve around the sun. Science rules!- here, anyway.

Lots of SF/Fantasy authors have imagined the moment when worlds split- one toward "magic", and the other toward "science". Perhaps the 2 realities of FTL and Storybrooke depict such a split? Another theory is that "magical" energy is all around, but can only be used by those able to tune into its frequency (more like the Force) What if the energy is there, but those who learned to wield it in one reality aren't able to use it in another because they haven't properly acclimated to the new rules? (Envision learning to play cricket after you've grown up playing baseball, and you'll get what I mean.)
Baelfire kid was a bad actor. I also didn't like how Rumpel killed 2 people like that and Bael was just like "No!" and then back to smiling.
repeated exposure = immunity
Agreed- I think the other parents in the village are like "Don't play with that kid, his dad is psycho."

But I think Bae was doing his damndest to get his dad to behave- "Look, Dad! I'm happy, Dad, you don't have to kill anybody else, honest!" Imagine living with a crazy guy who used to be your normal dad, who's trashing anything he thinks might have thought about hurting you. But if Dad thinks you're not happy, then he's going to go kill more people. And remember- Bael was only 14 the day they took him for the army. He almost had to run away to get a shot at a date! (What would happen to the girl who broke Bae's heart?)
What if the reason August is injured/sick or whatever is because he left? When people try to leave Storybrooke, bad things happen.
I do think that August is now Pinnochio (but then again, I believed he was Rumple's son). I wonder if he was actually able to leave Storybrooke and remain away, and that is why he is dying. The curse is working on him, but because he was a doll that became a boy, it is taking longer to act.
Lol, Lily, you always make me howl with laughter!

Robert is a great actor, and even though I, just like anyone else, have been convinced, that August was Rumpel's son, I couldn't help my cynical nature get a hold of me and think: 'just wait, any second now he will show his real self'...and he did. Well, he didn't try to kill his alleged father, but the teary effect of the scene has been definitely replaced with disappointment. Yes, I'm a big softie...I was rooting for the family get-together.

As for David - I'm on the exactly same opinion - he must go a loooong way, before he convinces me that he's worthy for Snow. Men, and especially the heroic, fairy tale kind of them - should not be wussies, it's kind of an oxymoron.

I really hope for a full reveal by the end of the season, especially for Regina to be exposed as the evil queen, and for blinkin' Emma to finally believe...Here's hope!
Load More Comments