One Tree Hill: Dan's the Man

One Tree Hill S09E10: "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will"

Let the record show that I love Dan Scott. I know it’s hard to love Dan, what with the fact that he’s spent most of One Tree Hill's nine seasons being a raging douchebag, but he’s really stepped up these last few episodes to become the de facto badass when the situation necessitates it. You know, that relative you go to when you need bail money or someone who’s good with a baseball bat and isn’t afraid to go back to prison. Every family has one. My family has, like, four.

Since the abduction of Nathan Scott, I’ve found that I occasionally have to remind myself that I am, in fact, watching the thematic successor to Dawson’s Creek—that initially, One Tree Hill was just a little show about a small-town basketball rivalry with a soundtrack straight off of a tenth grader’s iPod. Those early seasons look downright adorable compared to our current fare. I mean, just last week we saw Dan torture a mobster for information about Nate’s whereabouts with a car battery. When I told The Boyfriend about it while attempting to convince him to watch OTH with me without complaining, he was intrigued.

“Let me get this straight: They tortured a guy with a car battery. On One Tree Hill.”

“YUP.”

“I’m thinking of the right show? CW, Gavin DeGraw, Chad Michael Murray?”

“That’s the one!”

“A car battery? Really?”

I know. It’s awesome, right? Halfway through tonight’s episode I realized that I should have been tracking the body count as Dan, Chris Keller, and Julian fought their way to Nathan Scott’s rescue. Well, Dan fought his way in. Chris helped, impaling a guard with a car before bowing out frantically, and Julian, despite being ordered by Dan to go home to his family before the action started, showed up just in time to knock out that corrupt cop before he could undo all of the trio’s hard work.

But that wasn't all! The tension between Brooke and Creepy Xavier came to a head as well. When she showed up to the cafe to open up shop for the day and found the place trashed, there was only one culprit in Brooke’s mind; of course, the X scratched into the counter practically confirmed it. I was glad to see that, despite last week’s ending—with Creepy Xavier looming over the Baby Baker's crib—this didn’t turn into another kidnapping storyline. We’re finally getting Nathan back, you know?

Xavier waited until Brooke closed up shop and followed her to a parking garage, unleashing the crazy full-force. It was pretty brutal, and the fact that I saw it coming as soon as Xavier was released from prison a few episodes back did little to reduce the amount of cringing and hiding behind my hands that went down during the whole sequence. Brooke got a few blows in, but Xavier ultimately overpowered her. It was looking pretty dire until Tara swooped in with her handy dandy taser to save the day.

Tara? Really?

I guess it’s about time she did something other than be comically unappealing in every single scene she appears in.

Back at Operation Badass, Dan took a bullet for Nathan. And here I thought that Supernatural was the only C-Dub show with the magical ability to reduce me to a blubbery mess. Congratulations, OTH. Your membership card is in the mail. I hope you like glitter.

Lit analysis basically destroyed my ability to enjoy anything without analyzing it to death, and the warning alarms started blaring as soon as Dan started being a legitimately likable character. The OTH writers have set him up with a nice redemption story, and in the vein of terrible fictional fathers before him (Darth Vader comes to mind), I predict that he will most likely be worm food before the finale airs.

I’d be okay with it if he wasn’t though. I really, really would.

What'd you think of tonight’s action-packed One Tree Hill?

I have to agree that Dan has been much better in these last chapters, but A**h*le!Dan was always so entertaining. As for his demise, I have to disagree. Whenver the plot gets slow, they pull him back into the story to remind us one of the early reasons we started to what OTH...
This may be the only way for Dan to redeem himself; by saving (and hopefully dying for) his son. I'm not saying that it will make up for what he did but this is a good ending for this character.
I will be so sad when OTH ends its one of the best shows of the past decade and this season is amazing (now this is how to do a final season, not like what lost did in its final season) ya i just made that comparison maybe OTH is better than Lost in my opinion but this is just me.
When did One Tree Hill get so badass. I need to get back into the show before the finale airs.
I love the way OTH is going. I mean I was so against it! I meas, season 8 ended just perfect and then I thought that they may destroy everything I used to love about this show. And you know what? I am happy that season 9 in on! I mean, come on! Those actions are just great way to say goodbye to their fans! I am totally happy that this season is so amazing and there is no time to be bored! And this is again the same tv show I watched few years ago. Again I am finding myself waiting for another episode and I am not disappoined! Thank you!

There is one thing in this article I just disagree. I mean, I just finished with season 4, yes, I just made myself great trip to the past, and it was great show! I reminded myself all those great episodes which made me fall in love with all the characters. And the music! It is not cheesy and childish. This music is so good that I can listen to it over and over again.
So I'm pissed... Season 9 does not have the right to kill of Dan!

I love this show from the depths of my heart, ever since the first episode. I adored season three for beeing so daring and intense, and season 6... OTH could just take your soul and totally form it, however it wanted. That didn't stop in season 7(for me anyways) because Quin-Clay were awesome and I totally dig Nathan.

However, Season 9 started being weird around ep 9 (Before I actually really enjoied it)

Basically we are in total darkness here. Nathan abducted, Brooke about to get raped, Clay unable to connect with his son. So WHY! do they ruin everything with those stupid unbelievable comedy scenes? And is it just me, or does one not care about the characters anymore? When did that stop? I loved Dan, two weeks ago(now I only see any Character of the Expendedables).

Maybe the actors don't care anymore(aside from Sophia Bush, the garagescene was really intense up to that ridiculous safe), or maybe it is just, that I started rewatching season one, but I will not forgive them if they kill of Dan now. Not only because he fights so hard for his family and deserves his chance, but because there is now way, our badass Dan, who never died before, dies by the hand of some dirty east, in a ridiculous scenario.

Remember when this was a catching and thrilling about two brothers, just trying to play their favourite game?

Sorry for the rant, but I just want to say, if Dan is gonna die, we should wrap up any rewatch with the end of season 8 (and then maybe read a fanfic about Dans redemption).
How and at what time did Dan switched the creepy drug dealer for Nathan in the chair ? Plot hole there . The whole Xavier storyline is completely ridiculous and brought out of nowhere. Brooke ALWAYS parks her SUV in front of the cafe , why the hell would she park her car in a parking lot this time ? Another plot hole . It really breaks my heart to watch One Tree Hill like this . This show should have ended at season 6 when it was at is prime , it's really a shame to watch .
I'm gonna be the asshole that says this shit looks like its in the final season and thank god for that. Laughed my ass off the whole time.
thank god someone said it. how much more generic and unbelievable can this show get? i mean, the bad guys? kidnapping? the bitch that opens a cafe across the street is just a bitch because! a lost, repressed from memory kid? lucas' hair? i'm only watching this for closure anymore. can't give up with only 3 eps to go no matter how awfull the storylines (and characters)
I loved last night episode even if It was missing some clay_logan scenes!

I have watched OTH forever and whille I don't totally love this season I admitt it was a nail bitter last night. I really want to know how Tree Hill has such a huge parking garage I thought it was a teeny tiny town in the middle of nowhere! I am actually most interested in the Clay.Logan storyline that kid is beyond adorable!
I LOVE OTH ... It's a truly incredible show, excellent in all aspects. (I think its because it originated from WB and not directly from CW,,, ) Season 7 and 8 where not their best, but I really liked season 9 cause they started off clean (as season 8 finale concluded pretty much all main plotlines) and the writers truly showed what they can do with a clean slate. I am looking forward to the series finale and even though I don't want it to ever end, I think it's time has arrived and they will have a proper and great ending
I thought the episode was incredibly well done, I love me some Chris Keller so I was glad to see that he was involved. I was geniunely worried that something might happen to Nathan, as soon as they started to make their way out of the building, I was on the edge of my seat praying and hoping that he wouldn't get shot, I was still a little surprised that Dan got shot, he really has stepped up this season, so I guess that's his idea of redemption, I'm partly good with that. Xavier has creeped me out since his first appearence, and I just had this feeling that Tara would show up, I still really really don't like her.

I can't wait for next week when Nathan and Haley are finally (hopefully) reunited.