Our New Year's Resolutions for Glee

Glee’s super-saccharine Christmas episode has come and gone—and while it didn’t contain as many Hanukkah mentions as I had hoped, it did prop up Artie (Kevin McHale) on two legs. Hearing k.d. lang sing “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” was a nice touch, too. But other than that, nothing really happened. So, to continue last week's discussion of the weird, unfamiliar turn that Glee has taken this season, I’d like to offer these suggested New Year's resolutions to Ryan Murphy, Ian Brennan, and Brad Falchuk, the show’s three-headed creative beast. Maybe they can surprise us two months from now by resurrecting the show we once loved.

1. Choose more songs that advance the plot.
Kurt (Chris Colfer) and Blaine’s (Darren Criss) duet of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” was the highlight of “A Very Glee Christmas”—and a rare example of performance matching plot. Their voices blended harmoniously, the chemistry between them was undeniable, and the simple choreography played to Kurt’s coy hesitance and Blaine’s flirty confidence. Of course, it helps that Darren Criss could probably charm a cardboard box, but it's perfect song choices like these that give us goosebumps.

2. Speaking of Kurt, give him more reasons to smile.
Kurt’s had a rough time these past two seasons—he fell in love with a straight guy, his dad had a heart attack, and all along he’s had to deal with the violent advances of a closeted bully. Here’s hoping his transfer to Dalton Academy actually gives him the happiness he wants and deserves.

3. Cut down on the contrived dialogue between Finn (Cory Monteith) and Rachel (Lea Michele).
They’re so much fun to watch when they’re singing—but as soon as the music stops, I have to fight the urge to reach for my earplugs. I’ve never heard teenagers, or anyone else for that matter, carry on such uncomfortably over-dramatic emotional conversations.

4. Give Sam (Chord Overstreet) and Quinn (Dianna Agron) more screen time.
Who cares about those whiny brunettes, anyway? These days, it’s all about the chemistry between the blonde power couple. While their voices aren’t as powerful as Finn and Rachel’s, Sam and Quinn definitely sound fantastic together, and their conversations are much more hilarious and interesting. And Avatar-related.

5. Develop the relationship between Mike (Harry Shum Jr.) and Tina (Jenna Ushkowitz).
We know they’re Asian. Give them something else to talk about.

6. Develop the relationship between Puck (Mark Salling) and Santana (Naya Rivera), too.
I’m not saying they need to be boyfriend and girlfriend, but there’s definitely more between them than just sex. Shouldn’t they discuss that more?

7. Give Mercedes (Amber Riley) a boyfriend, already.
Ordinarily I’d be against pairing up all of the show's characters, but this girl’s life just seems lonely. The only storylines she’s had so far have dealt with her weight, her ego, and her gay crush.

8. Give Will (Matthew Morrison) a girlfriend who is not crazy.
That Holly Holiday (Gwyneth Paltrow) sure seemed like a nice lady...

9. Annul Sue’s (Jane Lynch) marriage to herself.
That was stupid.

10. Do whatever you have to do to get Artie to dance more.
Drugs, hallucinations, dream sequences, even that crazy contraption he wore last night. Whatever it is, just do it. Artie is a fantastic character, but Kevin McHale’s talent is wasted in that chair.

What did you think of “A Very Glee Christmas”? And what do you hope to see from Glee when the show returns in February?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

I think the authors should just stop doing gymnick episodes and go back to the STORY DEVELOPMENT. Everything will fall again into the right place like the first half of 1st season.
11. Make it stop sucking
Now just because I hate people who say "That sucks" without going into it I will elaborate.
Stop focusing on the creepiest character. Before you say oh is Kurt creepy because he's gay No Kurt is creepy because he hooked his dad up with Finn's mom so he could sleep with him. Gay straight, bi, whatever that is the creepiest thing I ever heard of in my life.
Explore a damn plot line. Emma got married in like five seconds, Finn and Rachel broke up in less time than that, Tina/Artie/Mike Chang? I understand we need to spend 55 minutes of the show exploring the bullying issue but It's like the writers give us cliff notes of what's happening and we're not suppose to ask why and how.
Who the heck are these characters? Seriously Tina's personality changes so much from episode to episode I'm beginning to think she's Cybil. You can't use the exploring their identities crutch forever.
Stop turning a likable protagonist into a desperate creepy douche. Will Shuester went from the guy everyone rooted for to the guy who slept with every adult female in the cast, dirty dances with his students, and tried to have a sex scene with a sixteen year old in order to impress Emma. We get it, the writer's are atheists. Wow if you're going to do an episode about spirituality you need to walk a very thin line. Somewhere between calling God a spaghetti monster and worshiping a grilled cheese sandwich that line was ran over by a tank. I'm not even Christian and I was offended.
Stop insulting our intelligence. Ok you don't magically have new school's in your region that replace the one's from before. I'm sorry you wrote yourself in a hole with the deaf school gimmick but you can't wave a wand and replace them with equally sadder gimmicks.
I was this show's biggest fan in season one and now the only thing that keeps me watching is the music and that's even a little lackluster lately (with the exception of a few episodes.)
I agree with most of the posts here. I absolutely CANNOT stand Quinn (revirginising herself, I mean... seriously??) and Sam together.. I think they should really think about developing these people individually than as couples as you mentioned. I really don't know much about Sam or Blaine or Mike. I do agree that they should develop more of Tina and Mike's storyline cuz this season hadn't said much about them at all. Rachel & Finn didn't get much screen time this season (in terms of singing together) and I find that depressing. I cannot believe they didn't make full use of their most powerful voices and chemistry (Mercedes, Rachel, Finn?) during Sectionals.. what was Will thinking?? I do think Sue's wedding is a crock of stupidity, what a waste of screen time. Lets hope they get better this February, this season is really going downhill for me. Will and Holly would be a dream come true but I doubt that they can afford (money wise) Paltrow's character for more than a couple of episodes.
i agree with everything above, and most def, Mercedes needs a man, so ....get to it....50 cent would be a great and funny pick for the show
I agree with most of the stuff you've written, with the exceptions of #3 and #4.
I really like Finn and Rachel, and would love to see more of them. Their characters are great and profound, and that's one of the reasons that made me love Glee in the 1st season. This season we see less of them, and I wish that would change after the break...
Also, I really don't want to see more of Sam and Quinn. As far as the singing goes, they are not great (especially compared to Finn and Rachel). Yeah, Lucky was cute, but Time of My Life was really bad. They can perform specific songs that go well with their voices, but they shouldn't have received a great ballad like Time of My Life. The result was embarassing for them and for Glee. I couldn't help but thinking Finn and Rachel could've done it so much better! Except for the singing, I don't like it when they try to make them the new power couple. They're nice, but I don't want them to become main characters. Rachel and Finn do it better.
Great review nevertheless :)
I think Kurt and Blaine should get it on already, Kurt should just be a teenager and go for it, but then again, this is the only thing I really really want to happen when I watch an episode, so perhaps that's why they're stalling it. I also agree with Tina and Mike should get more airtime.. Mike is a really charming character who we really don't know anything about. Even though I loved Finn and Rachel, here's hoping they will step back for a while and let some of the other characters interest us.
I thought it was awesome! But at the same time boring. I would like to see more of what you said too and something else, but I can't think of it /:
Please not more Brbie&Ken! Sure, It would be nice to see Sam sing more but not Quinn. She has the thinnest voice ever!! It sounds so plastic in a weird way. Rachel has a much much better voice, I just wish she could be a bit less obnoxious sometimes. And I think the songchoices hasn't been great. I actually miss the journeysongs :P I wish they would sing more rock/pop/soul. Artie has one of the best voices actually, he's got some soul in it.

I also think Rachel and Kurt's relationship should be explored, I loved when they met in the episode at sectionals, I think they could be good friends now that they're not competing for the same solos.

What I don't get in the sectionals-episode is that Quinn and Santana get solos because they are underdogs and don't get the same chanses. Santana is the most mean person in gleeclub and both she and Quinn aren't very nice to people, especially Rachel. There are some people in that club that dosn't have a lot of friends and who hasn't been popular all their pre-glee lives. Shouldn't they get a shot instead?

I also want more good mash-ups, like the ones in seson 1. I love when they mix old songs with new ones and like I said before I'd like a bit more rock/soul/funk. Fusion ftw! xo
Absolute no on #6. One of the defining features of Puck and Santana's relationship is that it's not a relationship. Glee is chock full of relationship drama, and both of them have powerful storylines (Santana's loneliness, Puck's redemption) that needs to be explored instead of their sham of a relationship. Also, no to #9. What would have made a terrific background joke could turn into a plot tumor. The damage is done. Just have them never address it again. Your other suggestions were satisfactory, though. Their real New Year's resolutions should have nothing to do with the characters: 1) Kick Ryan Murphy out of the writer's room. He launches good TV series; he just can't sustain them. He's got other projects, right? The show desperately needs new blood, especially a writer of the female persuasion. 2) Also, an actual writer's room, since it's obvious these three nitwits aren't talking to each other. Or even watching each other episodes. 3) The show needs a few season arcs. Unfortunately, these three can't seem to have consistency inside their own episodes.
Seriously? Do you think that Glee needs to have all the characters paired up?! OK, you are ridiculous. If you don't think this season is really good, maybe you should stop watching Glee. And what I really want for the next year is for you to quit doing these stupid articles.
My advice is simple: write the next season like a musical. The OP is correct when she suggests "choose more songs that advance the plot." My suggestion is to use all songs to advance the plot(s). In the best musicals, song is used to convey hidden/powerful emotions that can't be revealed/explained to anyone but the audience. Do that all the time. That's what I want for Christmas.
I thought it was okay... I hope to see an actual season plot.
I want Finn and Rachel together! I am freaking out! Just get them back already! I mean in every scene it is so sad and heartwrenching. If finnchel doesn't get back together, ryan murphy is gonna have a hard time dealing with all the angry veiwers. They are so cute as a couple! :( Sam and Quinn are cute too, but I'm more of a finnchel fan. Yes, Sam and Quinn shud have more scenes though. Please make Kurt come back, I miss him, we all do. I can't live a day without Glee. So please RM, make Glee happen. I agree on some of them, but don't take away all of Rachel and Finn. Maybe add some more guests, like Justin Beiber! yea! I can't wait for Glee to come back.
I would like to see Mercedes doing something else i mean her storyline doesnt need to have a boyfriend, and if you dont like Rachel and Finn why do you support Quinn and Sam there is not heat in there, too much perfection xD, they look like siblings. I do agree with Will's part he must get his "glee" back
Glee came out stronger when they took a break from December to April last year and cleverly plotted out the end of its first season. I'm guessing it should take a long break to figure things out..
I agree on some of the points... but... only some. I'm a major Fin and Rachel fan, I love her OCD intensity and his sweet 'I love you even though you're crazy' attitude.... their break-up has broken my heart... I urge the writers to fix their relationship... let Fin figure out that he slept with the biggest whore in the school and Rachel is Rachel, her people skills aren't the best and she probably didn't fully realize what she did... As for giving Sam and Quinn more screentime,, I'm not a fan! Ok, so you're both blonde, and now you're a power couple, the only reason they are together and the new faces of the Glee club is because Fin and Rachel handed them the duet competition so Sam wouldn't leave!

and if that boy asks one more time for some chap stick I'm going to flip!

I believe Will needs to be with Emma, and Emma needs to get rid of Carl because Carl is creepy!

I agree with the rest though
It just seems like they throw really inconsistent story lines together. I feel like they just need to focus on a good story arc soon and stop giving us throw away episodes like RHPS and the Gwyneth one.
Do you have any suggestions that don't involve people hooking up? I want to see more fabulous guest stars - like Anne Hathaway - she has an amazing voice!
cool,and yes for mercedes, fat people need love too
i so agree that Mercedes should get a boyfriend.

Sue marrying herself was just lame, i like better when she's nice.

Rachel should get a new love interest maybe get Jesse back...

and give Rachel happy singles..everytime she sings she crys.
Left4Ed: THANK YOU. This crap about the glee club being unpopular makes no logical sense. I realize that this show isn't supposed to be realistic (Sue Sylvester would have been fired about 20 times by now in real life), but the internal logic of the show (all shows have to have it) doesn't make sense, just as you say. People love the glee club's performances at pep rallies, and several of the school's most popular people are in it--how, exactly, is it still considered so uncool? It just doesn't make any sense. And any school that would let kids get slushies thrown in their faces with no repercussions from the administration has some serious problems. How is this high school still operational?
I think this is rather dull... If you think Sue marrying herself was stupid (I thought it was original and very Sue-like), then why bother go there again? If you don't like the story, wouldn't it be better if it was just left in the past?

Mercedes getting a boyfriend too? I want her to do something too, but they should stop pairing everyone one. Mercedes could get some story that doesn't revolve around a boyfriend or potato tots.

As for the other stuff, I just don't agree. I want Will to get back together with that nutjob ex-wife of his.

People complain about the new season, and yet they just keep coming up with lousy ideas to improve it. I think season two has been stellar, much better than season one. The show is different? The show has moved on! If the characters had changed radically, that could be a problem, but they haven't.
More Rachel and Kurt scenes like the one she says he's her only competition! that was fantastic!
and bring Jonathan Groff back!!! PLEEAAASEE!!!
I would also love to see this hatred the school has for the glee club disappear. Every time they do a damn pep rally in front of the student body, people are cheering and dancing in the aisles. If they can rock an assembly like no one's business, make TV commericals and win trophies galore, why do the writers insist the glee club is the most unpopular group in school? Especially when there are eight cheerleaders and football players in the club. There logic that everyone hates them astounds me.
I would love to see the show stop putting Kurt on his 'Oh woe is me, I'm gay and unhappy' pedestal AND his 'I have everything I want now but I'm still unhappy' pedestal. I'm so sick of Kurt, I want to strangle him every time he comes on screen. And considering he was my favorite character in the first season, that should tell you how bad it is. And even though Rachel and Finn are supposed to be the stars of the show, we could definitely deal with less of them. Those few episodes where Lea Michele only sang in an ensemble and had no solos... Some of the best episodes of the season.

Sue needs to go back to her truly evil ways and stop being the bad guy who has a heart of gold. I would love to see a real battle of wills between Sue and Bieste. Dot Marie Jones and Jane Lynch have had some great scenes together and they could really be worst enemies if the writers went back to being committed to the characters again.

AND MORE BRITTANY!
usually i'm getting angry with you while reading the first few lines of your glee reviews, because they just seem like you're not even watching and definitely not getting the show. this time i'd say i mostly agree, but you lost me at "artie is a fantastic character" - what? xD i've been wishing since the first episode for someone to run him over with a bus or something... ^.^
I don't think it necessarily needs to move away from Rachel storylines, but yet not have her being the jerk she is this season. Last year even though she was annoying at times, we still liked her. This year she has been more, well, mean. Until the sectionals episode. I loved the relationship between her and Kurt. And Kurt has been getting on my nerves as well, but I liked them both so much during that episode. So I don't think we need to stop with the Rachel storylines, just change them up some. Overall I felt like this was a very good episode. I know that Glee is never going to be like it was last season. A show can never stay the same. If it does it will become stagnant and get boring, then end. So we knew that Glee was gonna change, and while it may not have been for the better so far this season, the past few episodes have been really strong.
If Kurt and Blaine don't get together I am going to be highly upset. Those two are the only reason why I watch Glee
\"Of course, it helps that Darren Criss could probably charm a cardboard box\"
Brilliant.
I agree with almost all of these points. I say cut down on the Rachel, period. Every time she opens her mouth I want to kill a kitten. The show has so many other amazing characters that we could see more of, instead we get this selfish spoiled diva who doesn\'t seem to realize how awful she is. When she told Finn it was \"time for him to forgive [her],\" I wanted to slap a **** Please, please give someone else the spotlight for a while- see Brittany, Mercedes, and Mike Chang (who I think could be amazing if they gave him a chance).
I agree, more dancing Artie. give him another car wreck that fixes him, it's tv it can be ridiculous like that lol. the drama between finn, rachel, and santana is getting old. finn and santana aren't a good couple, stop trying to make it seem like they would be. how can she be all obsessive over puck one minute and then trying to date finn the next? no. stupid. also, she should be less of a beotch. i get the whole mean girl thing, but even they don't have to be a jerk to everybody all the time. i'd like it if they progress everybody's storylines and not just finn and rachel. sam's my favorite male i think. also, i don't think there was ever going to be a relationship between brittany and santana, they're just friends who get horny a lot. nothing more.
i agree with most of this. rachel went from driven to **** and i think finn had every right to break up with her. and quinn and sam are adorable i really wish they\'d get more screen time! same with mike and tina, they should have something else other than being asian. and mercedes needs a boyfriend, if for nothing else she\'s the only single member of glee club. and puck needs to have more to do!!! enough of rachel and finn for a while
I agree with most of this. Though I'm not that big of a Sam/Quinn fan. Its interesting how PuckxQuinn hasn't even been hinted at this season. You'd think there would be a love triangle of some sort. And more Brittana too. There used to be a lot of teasers for that.
Oh agree with alot of what you are saying, Especially the finn/Rachael thing, when they sing... fabulous.But when they emote...oh its tragic I want to leave the room its that embarassing. What I like about this season is that they have utilized all the characters and it hasn\'t been primarily a finn/rachael song fest. What would the show do without Jane Lynch shes incredible in every scene. Mercedes is wonderful i\'d love to see more of that character as well as Puck. I don\'t know about Sam, hes rather a boring character turning Quinn boring as well, wheres the queen **** i miss her. Kurt who I lurve seems relegated to the peripheral of the show now that hes left the school. Next year Glee will have the competition of a clone show from the CW.... that\'ll be interesting.
In my personal oppinion, although Glee does not have the strongest storyline out there, it's 100 times better than last year. Last years plot was STUPID!!! It was the musical version of The Secret Life Of The American Teenager...

The storyline is definiteli not the best, but at least it's not stupid!
eww..no to more Sam/Quinn. Quinn needs to be single and actually given a storyline away from guys.
agree 100% with aronhauksson
all i want is a damn season plot like the first half of season 1
I just hope to get Jesse back! he was by far one of the greatest singers in this show, his song numbers were the best!
Freshman year was great. This year very inconsistant.
Never sure what to expect week to week now!!!!
Agreed!
i don't think it was in poor taste at all. if you put fred astaire in a movie, would you cast him in the part of someone who can't use their legs? obviously i am not saying that kevin mchale is comparable to fred astaire but i do see her point.
kevin mchale is a great dancer and because of his character's disability, the writers are barely ever able to utilize that talent.

i completely agree with your review of how out of character glee has been lately. hopefully the writers will pick it up soon since glee has already been renewed for a third season...
I find your phrasing about KmcH's talent being "wasted in that chair" in very poor taste. Whichever actor with good singing/dancing chops would be similarly affected when asked to represent people who are in a wheelchair. On the contrary I find this portrayal as realistic and on par with all other characters, whether dancing "in chair" or in dreams.
Other than that, I've got to agree that the story is not character-driven and plot-driven enough anymore. It's as if each episode is supposed to happen in its own little world, with some bits (Kurt's arc, for example), standing in for continuity. In addition, I wish they stopped pretending Glee-time is real-time - if it's still football season for the Superbowl, either they'll contrive a reason why the team is playing even though HS football in Ohio is over around November and certainly does not go to early Feb - or they tell us it's November in Glee time and all is well.
(The Christmas episode is in my opinion more of a stand-alone, which is not necessarily included in the time-continuum - the "end of season 2.1 was actually last week.)