Our Pick for SYTYCD Routine of the Week Is...

So You Think You Can Dance S09E08: "Top 20 Perform Part 2"

Although Season 9 started way back in May, this week's episode of So You Think You Can Dance was the first in which we finally learned how the show's new voting format will work. For the record, it goes like this:

1. All dancers performed last week and the audience voted for their favorites immediately after the episode.

2. This week the dancers performed AGAIN, and then we learned the results of last week's audience vote; the bottom six vote-getters were then revealed.

3. From that pool of six, the judges factored in both weeks' performances (and also apparently consulted with the choreographers) and then "saved" one dancer from each gender group.

4. The remaining low-voted dancers were driven out to the countryside where they were abandoned by the side of the road.

5. Now the audience will vote again after this episode, which will determine the bottom six for next week, whereupon the judges will save dancers from that batch. And so on and back and forth forever.

Get it? I probably just made it seem more complicated than it is. The main thing I'm happy about is that with this new system SYTYCD maintains its tradition of only trusting America to nominate losers, with the judges getting to make final decisions. I like that! No offense, fellow citizens, but sometimes I think we don't choose talent-show winners correctly. Except for Phillip Phillips, I liked him. But other times not!

Anyway, if this episode is any indication, the new system is HARSH. To be fair, this week's double-elimination probably had something to do with with the skipped episode on July 4th, but still. Did ANY of us expect the bottom six to be so stacked with talent? At least TWO of the evictees had winner potential! But before we talk about who got sent home, let's focus on who danced the best.

ROUTINE OF THE WEEK

For my money it was the Matthew-Audrey contemporary number choreographed by Sonya Tayeh (see video below). Sonya's been my favorite choreographer since Wade Robson left, so it's no surprise I dug one of her routines the most. She just has a knack for skirting that line between beauty and grotesquerie, not to mention she's a genius for song-selection. Add to that two excellent dancers in Matthew and Audrey and I was mesmerized for three minutes. That being said, a lot of dancers did strong work tonight—just not enough to be particularly memorable. I expect that'll change as the season goes on.

WHO WENT HOME

Like I said, this was a particularly shocking first elimination. Losing FOUR dancers guaranteed we'd be seeing some surprising faces in the bottom six, but come on, America. WITNEY? CHEHON? Apparently the judges agreed that those were ludicrous candidates for dismissal and spared them, which meant that Alexa, Janaya, Daniel, and Nick were all out of luck.

I was particularly shocked by the exits of Alexa and Daniel, two dancers who received a lot of face-time in the audition rounds and truly seemed to have what it took to go far (specifically skills and camera-friendly looks). I can't help but think that perhaps this was a case of voters forgetting to vote for frontrunners. It happens all the time on American Idol, so it's not out of the question. Or maybe people just plum didn't like them as much as I did. Who knows? I'm not a scientist.

JUDGING THE GUEST JUDGE

Full disclosure: I'm not the hugest Adam Shankman fan. Too frequently he treats his role as a judge like it's some kind of Tennessee Williams monologue. But tonight he actually did a solid job of articulating exactly what the dancers were doing wrong or right. Technical terms and everything! As much fun as it is seeing a celebrity on the bench offering friendly encouragement, I genuinely appreciate the expertise Shankman offers (when he decides to offer it).

ETC.

Not only did this episode feature a lengthy advertisement for spotlight on Step Up: Revolution, much of the cast graced the stage for a genuinely impressive group number. And how cool was it seeing so many familiar SYTYCD alumni getting involved in the movie business? Unless I'm going crazy, it seems like Mia Michaels herself might actually be ACTING in this movie too? But anyway, yeah. OPENING NIGHT. Who's coming with me?

What was YOUR favorite routine of the night?

Thxs for embedding my upload....you have done a few lately, most appreciated!
My vote is for Amelia & Nick, the other Sonya routine, as routine of the week
So glad Witney was saved! No idea how she made it to bottom 3!??

She's my only fave so far, I was yelling at the screen for the judges to save her!

It's a weird season for me so far. Only having one fave dancer & none of the routines have really blown me away yet.

Best routine of the show so far for me, was the trio ballroom on top 20 reveal. Hot!
I honestly didn't feel as connected to Audrey and Matthew as I did with Amelia and Will. I think theirs was the dance (both performance and choreography) was stood out as the best for me. Love Eliana and Whitney and Cole too :)
Whitney and Chenon Bollywood was my favorite, and how in the hell was WHITNEY in the bottom three??
George & Tiffany's foxtrot was the highlight for me - George is mos def top three.

My favorite girl is still Eliana - she just kills it! everything she does, she does with power and grace.
Staff
George is definitely terrific. But WHAT was the deal with those overalls?
I completely disagree with your characterization of Alexa and Daniel as potential winners. For two weeks in a row, they've gotten highly technical routines and failed to make any emotional impact. Given the judges' extensive critiques of Alexa for that very thing in the audition shows, this should come as no surprise. And Daniel is the one who showed up with that completely stupid pseudo-ballet routine in the auditions and had to come up with something real to even get to Vegas. As a couple these two were kind of a disaster, and Sean Cheeseman's routine last week was not all that relatable, so I found nothing surprising or inappropriate about them being voted down. And as for Nick, the judges gave him a Viennese Waltz, which is never that memorable, and stuck him right in the middle of the order. It's like they were trying to eliminate them. Witney was lucky that Amber wasn't down there with her. The judges absolutely made the right choices this week, and we'll see how the new format ultimately plays out.
well the JUDGES made the right choice, but America did not their is no way Whitney should have been their in the first place!!!
Staff
Fair enough. Just trying to spread the love.
While all of the performances were good tonight, for some reason, none of the routines stand out to me as anything special. I can't even really recall most of them already, and it hasn't been that long since the show ended. Most seasons have a night or two like this for me at the beginning of the season though, so it's probably just a matter of too many routines in too short of a time and they all just kind of mush together.

The new voting/elimination system is how Randy Jackson's America's Best Dance Crew on MTV has been doing it for most - it not all - of the time it's been on. The only real difference is that on ABDC, the bottom crews know that they're in the bottom before they do their performance that night, which can either help psych them up to do an even better job or break them down a bit, making it harder to get through their routine well. I like that on SYTYCD, the dancers in danger won't know until after their performances, so that the psychological stuff won't affect their performance at all.
Staff
I agree... I was hoping there would be more standouts, but nothing really blew me away. I did kinda dig the '50s throwback one with Dareian, but it was also very corny. Who knows.