Patinkin out of Minds

The cast and crew of Criminal Minds got a bit of a surprise earlier this week when they gathered for a script read of the show's upcoming season. As everyone prepped their parts, they noticed one thing was missing--the show's star.

Mandy Patinkin, who plays special agent Jason Gideon on the CBS drama, did not show up for the mandatory read-through, according to E! Online. Citing a pair of anonymous sources, the Web site says that Patinkin may no longer be with the show.

CBS has not issued a public statement on the matter, and The Hollywood Reporter speculates that a salary dispute may be at the heart of the standoff. (Note: CBS has in fact issued a statement. See below for update.)

Patinkin is a veteran of stage and screen, and has won an Emmy Award as Dr. Jeffrey Geiger on Chicago Hope and Tony Awards for his roles in Evita and Sunday in the Park with George. He is probably best known as the suave swordsman Inigo Montoya in the film The Princess Bride.

[UPDATE--July 16] ABC Studios and CBS Paramount Network Television sent out a statement today confirming Patinkin's departure from Criminal Minds, citing "creative differences."

The statement reads: "Last week Mandy Patinkin asked to be released from his role on Criminal Minds. We have honored this request, which was not in any way connected to contract renegotiations or salary issues. His [character's] departure from the series will be explained to audiences in an episode to be filmed in the near future and broadcast early next season. We thank Mandy for helping to make Criminal Minds a strong and successful series, and we wish him the best in his future endeavors. A new character will be added to the series for next season."

A statement on behalf of Mandy Patinkin was also included: "Due to creative differences, Mandy has asked not to return to Criminal Minds this season. Mandy would like to thank the studios and network for releasing him from the series and wishes the cast and crew continued success in all of their endeavors, and he looks forward to continuing to work with the Disney and CBS companies in other capacities in the future."

Details on the show's new cast member have not yet been announced.

Criminal Minds enters its third season later this year. The show follows a crack team of FBI agents who deal with "the country's most twisted criminal minds," solving crimes and preventing new ones. For more information on Criminal Minds, read TV.com's previous coverage.

I miss Gideon!
i loved seasons 1 and 2 of this show I havent bothered with season 3 mandy was the only reason I tuned in. he was the real star of criminal minds in my opinion. I hope he comes back I really do or that he does another show at some point as he totally fantastic
I don't like the show as much now. I do not like the new cast member at all.

Hotch as always had to big of a part. Give the others bigger parts and less Hotch and the guy with the beard.
I started watching this show four months ago. It was one of the earlier episodes with Mandy Patinkin. The show immediately became one of my all-time favorite shows. He was on the next show too. Then Mandy was gone and I screamed, "What happened!!!!" I thought he was on a higher plane than the other actors on the show. Don't get me wrong. There are at least 3 other actors who really impress me, but there not the same caliber as Mandy. He was incredible in that role.

By the way, by far, the biggest flaw in this show is the sudden dabbling with the supernatural. If they choose to pursue this path, I will tune out completely. The show survives on being intellectually stimulating. Don't insult my intelligence with X-File drivel. The nutcase computer hacking geek needs to evolve into a more serious character too. I doubt her kind of personality would be tolerated by a serious investigation team.
I am saddenned by the loss of Mandy also he will be missed. Its become like po sports.. no one wants to stay anywhere anymore since everyone have become 'free agents' Dont get me wrong I admire Mandy for his strength as a person and an actor. I just wish he stayed on. God bless you mandy.
I was very sad to see Gideon go. He added so much quality to a very well written show. I do not feel that a new character should have been added as head of the team to replace him because the team was already formed and the cast has jelled so well...The show is different with "rossie" as senior analysis...
I was very sad to see Gideon go. He added so much quality to a very well written show. I do not feel that a new character should have been added as head of the team to replace his character because the cast had jelled so well...the show is different with "rossie" as senior analysis...
That means that he's free, in case they were to pick up "Dead Like Me" again. I know it's not likely, but I keep my fingers crossed.
I just want to say that i'm very disappointed to see that Mandy is no long going to be on the show, he was my favorite along with Spencer, and I like the rest of the cast as well. He was a very caring character, he was very convincing in his role. I'm going to miss him, I wish he'd consider coming back on the show!
I hope this show wasn't as dependent on one actor/character as some people here seem to think. I think that's unhealthy. I started watching the show from the beginning and not because of Mandy Patinkin. I'll keep watching it.
I only watched this show because of Mandy Patinkin. Although I have become attached to several other of the characters, I don't know if I will continue watching without him. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? It is hard for me to believe that it really had to do with the writing, obviously there are enough sick people in the world to find material. If it was a financial issue, whatever amount was needed to keep him, it should have been paid!!
Why let one of the best go off this show everything is going up and the directories and everyone should know that you get what you pay for BRING HIM BACK what you are getting now or later will never make this show like is was a weekly viewer and others
I watched tonights episode and although I have to say I have enjoyed Mandy's performance and found him to be an integral part of the show, (he happens to be one of my favorite actors), the show seemed to do alright without him. I can see where doing a show like this one could eventualy wear you down, much like the charactor he played I'm sure someone of Mandy's ability would eventually want to do something different. I have to admit his exit from the show was done with class. As one should expect from a class act Like Mandy Patinkin. Good luck to him and he will be missed in the show.
I hate it when these shows start losing the original characters. I realize that killing off an original "high profile" character is good for ratings but I truly think the show starts to die. I never have the same interest in the show once a main character dies.

Who will be next after Mandy leaves? The quality will decline and once the original cast leaves, the show should go away. Kinda like ER, once the original cast left, the show was never the same. Yes it has been on forever and it certainly went through a whole host of other characters but noone that could carry the show like the original crew. I could care less to if I see ER now. Wouldn't have missed it back then.
Okay, well, first of all: This sucks. This is like, Don Eppes leaving the FBI and Charlie working with a total stranger. And the whole way of having Gideon leave is just too reminiscent of Speed from Miami. What is it with them? I won't go out on a limb and say that the show will fail, but this is definitely a sad time for the team.

Second of all: What is with people and their stupid speculations? The picture up top is just another example. It is not unheard of for an actor who actually invests himself in a show, rather than settling for anything with a paycheck, to object if the creativity level drops. Michael Shanks had the same problem with Stargate,(and he was right), and his response was the same.

All in all, I wish the network wouldn't write themselves into a corner this way. Daniel was able to return, but Gideon and Speed? No option, unless in flashbacks. Which you know they're never gonna do. This sucks in so many ways.
"My name is Mandy Pantikin, you kill my character, prepare to die." Yup... There are certain characters that simply cannot be replaced. Seinfeld, Grisom, Homer, Archie and Jason. Mandy's a class act and he doesn't settle for crappy writing - bottom line, the show will die (if it doesn;t there is no justice). Good luck Mandy whereever you end up.
I heard last week that Mandy Patinkin was leaving the show and I was so disappointed. I started watching the show in the second season and after a few episodes I loved it and bought the first season to catch up. The cast on this show is amazing...each one brings their own value to the show. But my favorite character was Jason Gideon. The show will not be the same without him. My excitement over the new season is somewhat deflated now that the key character is gone.
To me, He makes the show. Season 2 is set to start. Does anyone know for sure if he will star in this next season?
He will be missed, I loved watching at work he was very good and played the part just right, don't know if they could find another one like him, he is like Anthiny Hopkins playing Anibal, no other actor could lay it the same way as he did so goes for Mandy playing Gideon, I hope the show stays as good and popular because there are great actors on it but Mandy did make this show intense anddramatic, there was just something about him and the way he played this character, to bad he had to leave, wish him all the best and hope to either see him back or o another show because I love his acting.
NOOOOO PLease say it isn't true. I have such a crush on that man. I absolutely LOVED his character on chicago hope and I loved Gideon just as much. I sure hope he comes back. He makes the show. I love listening to him sing too.
Mandy Patinkin has very high standards, I would absolutely believe it was creative differences in his case. He has left shows before when they started to go downhill. He is one actor in control of his own life and career.
I am not surprised. This guy has BAILED ON EVERY SHOW HE HAS BEEN ON. It was his departure which killed Dead Like Me, and he left CHicago Hope after 2 seasons. Face it, he can't handle working on a single froject for more than 2 seasons. Let that be a lesson to the TV execs out there - never hire this guy for a long-running TV series.
oh nooo!! I love his character, Gideon rocks.. never saw that coming :(
It's bad for the show.
Creative differences is Hollywood talk for I'm not making enough money; too bad for the show.
Well, all respect for Mandy Patinkin from me has now been thrown out the window.

What an **** just leaving like that because of "creative differences". Only snooty pompous jackasses like Brad Pitt or Jennifer Lopez should be the ones I expect to hear that from, not Mandy.

I don't think I'll even be able to watch Dead Like Me anymore and be able to enjoy it... I hope his career plummets after this because Criminal Minds was the only crime drama these days worth watching.

**** you mandy patinkin.
i will try to watch but it wont be the same
I would have to agree that Mandy WAS cruicial to the show during the first season. I found him less and less important as season 2 went on. He will still be missed and he will still be one of the greatest TV actors of all time in my book, but the show will go on and maybe even grow and better itself. Even without him.
Mandy is crucial to the show...I will try to continue watching, but not without missing Gideon. Maybe he will come back??
No offense to the other excellent cast members who do a great job, but i think this may signal the end of Criminal Minds. Mandy i think was crucial to the show. Very disappointed!!!
Well, it's official...biggest Jump The Shark moment for a show so far this year...totally didn't expect it to come from "Criminal Minds".
my goshh.. whats the whole show without its lead?
If he does leave then it will be a major blow for Criminal Minds! One of the reasons i watched it in the first place was because of Mandy. But i respect him as one of the greats and if he wishes to leave then im sure he has his reasons! i will still watch the show though, although he was a major asset to the show, im sure it can continue without him, and maybe some of the current characters can step forward/get promoted and be more of a major part in the show.
I agree with most people who commented who said that Criminal Minds will now lose many viewers. Gideon was pretty much the star of the show and the "leader" of them and I do not think that it will be the same. I will start watching the next season and then decide whether or not it is still worth watching.
Wow! I can't believe that Mandy has left. I have to agree with moviemaster2222 in saying I am sad but hopeful. His character was awesome and he will be missed, but this gives CBS the chance to bring in someone who could make the show even better. We shall see in the fall.....
welp, that's the end of Criminal Minds :(
I find myself both sad yet hopeful. If Mandy is no longer with criminal minds then there is now a chance that he might rejoin the cast of Dead liike me which is going to attempt to make a comeback with a movie.
"It's like Grissom leaving CSI for a short while. Maybe he'll be back, I hope." Wow ya to me its like Grissom leaving forever I cant believe this happened.
Now that it's confirmed... goodbye Criminal Minds. It was a good show, now it's dead unless they find someone who can fill Gideon & Patinkin shoes.
I'm kind of glad he left. The show went way downhill this past season. It just got boring. He is too good of an actor to be stuck with mediocre scripts. He was terrific in Dead Like Me and Chicago Hope, just so so in Criminal Minds. He just didn't have enough of a character or screen-time to play with it.
OK, I dunno what's going on with TV these days but mayor characters in series keep quiting/being fired, it really sucks.

Personally, I'll miss Agent Gideon.
CBS has been doing some bad business, Mandy good luck to you.
no way! dont leave...!
Wow, I can't believe that Mandy left the show. If there was a main star on that show, it was Mandy. CBS has a huge void to fill. That's the second cast member to leave in less than a year. What is going on?
Does anyone else thionk it is a coincidence that this comes at a time when Dead Like Me is due for a ressurection? With the high profile of Criminal Minds Patikin could draw a larger audience to the cult tv show. His character is not in the new tv movie but has been replaced by a more ominous figure who the others dislike. Fingers crossed that this means Mandy will return to helm a 3rd season of what was, quite frankly, television gold.
a big loss for CM imo
I´m quite shocked but also excited how the writers will handle this situation, can´t wait for the next season. Hope that Reid and Morgan stay more seasons
It's like Grissom leaving CSI for a short while. Maybe he'll be back, I hope.
Yikes! Hope Patinkin's leaving the show dosen't put a dent in their ratings or popularity. I love this show and want it to keep on going for a long, long time. On the face of it, it seems unprofessional of the actor to just leave as he did. Hope they get someone really good to replace him and keep the BAU going strong.
Load More Comments