Person of Interest: Back to Cleaning Up Scum from the Streets

Last night's episode of Person of Interest, "Legacy," continued the series' great season-long pacing. We saw Detective Carter come into the fold with Reese and Finch, Finch do some extracurricular work that raised Reese's eyebrows, and most importantly, Reese clean up some of New York City's scummiest dirtbags.

"Legacy" was one of Reese's best episodes in a long time, particularly in the early scenes. The man was on fire, uttering zingers and punching people in the face (though not necessarily in that order) at a pace that kept the first half of the episode afloat. I know he was only wheeling around for one episode, but damn it felt good to have Reese back on the streets again, and doing what he does best. Plus he made up for lost time in great fashion: He took down that MMA chump with the help of a garbage truck (taking out the trash!), flattening the musclehead and setting up that crook parole officer by pouring plastic-bottle hobo gin in his crotch and calling the police. That's some devious stuff right there. And I loved it.

Equally lovable was Reese's back-and-forth with Carter. Her reactions each time she picked up the phone and Reese told her that he'd bent the law a bit were golden! That's how Reese and Finch work, girl, you better get used to it. There's no time for these "laws" you keep telling Reese you have to obey! But in the end, Carter won the last laugh when she got the job done and said, "And I didn't even have to shoot anyone." Oh snap, Reese, you done got served!

Reese and Finch are bringing Carter in cautiously, which is the way to go. At the moment, she's essentially another Detective Fusco, helping them with paperwork and menial tasks while serving as their eyes and ears in the police precinct. Think of it as an internship, Carter. Now go get some coffee for Reese! I'm on Reese's side, in that I agree Fusco and Carter don't need to know about each other, if only for comedic purposes. Reese seems to get a kick out of Fusco's updates on Carter's actions, and I do too. Nice detective work there, Lionel.

Playing out alongside that dynamic is a similar one between Reese and Finch. In this episode, we met Will, Nathan's son. Finch clearly took a shine to the kid, even though he's the sort of person who gets thrown in jail for underground gambling. So he's a charitable doctor looking to change the world AND he likes to play illegal blackjack in the basements of Chinese restaurants? Oooookay. But that's beside the point. What's important is the way Finch seemed to feel responsible for Will. Was it simply because he wants to look out for the kid? Or because he somehow felt guilty and was overcompensating by keeping a close eye on Will? What involvement did Finch have in Nathan's death?

The little secret Finch was keeping from Reese is going to make things interesting. Now Reese is prying into Finch's private life, and using Fusco to tail Finch. Side note: Isn't it a REALLY bad idea to tail a target with someone the target knows? All Finch has to do is turn around and the whole plan would blow up. Anyway, Reese snooping on Finch came at the perfect time. As much as we want to see their friendship and partnership grow, we want Person of Interest to keep the intrigue coming. By introducing this situation in the second half of the season, just when we thought the two were getting close enough to drive each other to the airport, it carries a lot more weight. Like I said before, the season-long pacing on Person of Interest is terrific.

The standalone case this week involved a shady foster kid scheme, and the Person of Interest was a sexy, spicy lawyer who got a little too close to exposing it. Guess what? In the end, the bad guys got busted! Yay! The case itself was fine, but what was really great was watching how everyone—Reese, Finch, Carter, Lionel—all worked together. I will say that I was pretty overjoyed to see Terrence the ex-con reunite with his kid after beating the frame job. I guess I'm just a sucker for recovering drug addicts getting to see their sons after their parole officers try to frame them and set up a giant grift by accepting foster-care payments for children who don't exist thanks to a dirty file clerk in the system. It's a weakness of mine.

"Legacy" didn't blow me away, but it maintained Person of Interest's momentum and provided several great moments. Most importantly, it allowed Reese to return to causing mayhem in the city with his knuckle sandwich food cart.

Questions! Questions! Questions!

This episode left me with one big question, which I will pose to you: Whose backstory is more interesting, Reese's or Finch's? In recent episodes, the writers have focused on a lot of Finch backstory, and I never thought I'd be more interested in Finch's past than Reese's, but doggone it I am. I'm sure there's plenty of mystery to unfold with Reese before the season is up, but for now, Finch has my attention. I'm DYING to know what happened to Ingram and how Finch was involved. What about you?

I also have a smaller question that involves the series' format over the last several episodes: Early on, one of the fun things about the weekly Persons of Interest was that we didn't know whether they were in the sights or holding the gun. In most of the show's recent episodes, the POI has been the target. If memory serves, it hasn't been since Episode 8 that the POI was the potential shooter (the German guy played by Charles Widmore). Do you miss the guessing game of trying to figure out whether the POI is good or bad?

Reese-isms

– On why he wants Carter to join them: "Because I'm tired of you chasing me."
– On getting his ass kicked: "Wishing gunshot wounds healed faster right about now..."
– On Carter's progress: "You're getting paranoid, Carter. That's a step in the right direction."
– On being indirectly responsible for a thug getting smashed by a garbage truck: "In my defense, he didn't look both ways before crossing the street."
– On being made: "I don't need your services anymore, Andrea. But I think you're going to need mine."
– On travel: "So you were never in jail." —Andrea. "Not in this country." —Reese
And let's not forget his "interview" with the lawyer, when he was talking about his boss and taking jabs at Finch. Someone get this guy a gig at an open mic!

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Jun 25, 2012
Um, wasn't Charles Widmore the character's name on Lost, not the name of the actor that portrayed him? ;)
Jan 26, 2012
I thought it may be a bit too crowded, but for this episode anyway, the fact that both Carter and Fusco are helping out Reese and Finch worked well enough. It made for some rather humorous moments, and it's kind of fun to see Carter and Fusco both trying to avoid the other while talking to the same person on the phone. The show's writers have been doing a great job balancing the relationships between all four, and I like that Carter has joined in on the banter that Fusco also has with the guys.

Two things did kind of bother me: 1) For the reason you mentioned, Fusco tailing Finch is kind of stupid; and 2) Isn't it kind of important that Reese stay a bit more, uh, invisible? Getting into a fist fight with a guy right outside a gym and in front of his friends before chasing the guy to his death seems a bit too reckless.

As for your question, Finch's backstory is certainly more interesting, particularly because it also involves the machine.

"In my defense, he didn't look both ways before crossing the street." Best line for me. Finch's smirks while Reese was describing his boss was fun too.
Jan 24, 2012
"just when we thought the two were getting close enough to drive each other to the airport,"

Classic!
Jan 23, 2012
Sorry for being so late on this one, Australian Open has me behind on a lot of shows right now. LOVE Reese. The man is hilarious, serious, butt-kicking, awesome and all kinds of great. As for the Questions: I LOVE going into Finch's background. Reese is interesting, and gives insight into his character, but Finch's background can be so great for furthering the story.

Definitely having Fusco tail Finch is bad, and is it just me, or did that eye twitch mean that Finch is already aware of him? Also, I do miss the uncertainty of whether or not the POI is the perpetrator or the victim. I just love that uncertainty of the computer and want more exploration of the idea.
Jan 23, 2012
Like you said, the episode didn't blow me away but it kept the pleasure of tuning in to watch the adventures of Reese and Finch alive and well. I really enjoyed Reese and Carter teaming up and I wonder which way it'll go: will she rein him in or will he have her breaking all the rules? And Finch's story is more intriguing so far, also because it's so connected to the machine. We've already been warned that "they"'ll find him too. Can't wait!
Jan 24, 2012
I don't think Reese or Finch will have Carter break any laws they have Fusco for that. Reese also told Carter just because she said she wouldn't break the law didn't mean he couldn't (when he stole the guys laptop).
Jan 23, 2012
It's a pretty good show. Both main characters are holding their own. The token policemen are a bit moronic and fat, but maybe that's what they're going for.
Jan 22, 2012
THE BEST SHOW SO FAR LOOK FORWARD TO SEE IT EVERY WEEK HERE IN TIJUANA B.C. , KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK,THANKS FOR KEEPING US INTERTAINED.
Jan 22, 2012
Great show! I enjoyed watching it every time. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 22, 2012
Good episode, especially liked the interview portion.
Jan 22, 2012
Wrote your next recap for ya Tim.

Finch Flinched, Reese reached, but Carter was smarter!!
Jan 22, 2012
I lol'd my ass off when he exposed Finch for being a tyrant of an employer...
Jan 22, 2012
the way finch reacted to will's desire to get to know his dad better - does anyone think that nate may still be alive
Jan 22, 2012
Very good episode. Adding Carter to the mix was cool enough, but keeping her and Fusco in the dark about each other: priceless!! Truthfully, I think it's a good idea. The less they know about the computer, and each other, the safer it is for both of them. Seeing Reese get back to his bad boy roots was very fun to watch! I think both backstories are equally entertaining to learn about cause I just like both of them so much.
Jan 22, 2012
I had a problem this week before watching! I was amped over the return of Justified and was a bit fearful that POI might slip down my favs list a bit. It did, but only a notch (still top 5) !!

I have to wonder why Finch didn't tweek the computer to keep a better eye on Will and intervene BEFORE the bust??

"Wishing gunshot wounds healed faster right about now..." Should have been his line LAST week after tossing the guy out the window! Still not buying that one. Sorry, now wiping from memory.

Finch's backstory. ...as well as why Will REALLY decided to stay local.

The POI good guy/bad guy?? Either with local law enforcement or FBI on Reese's heels.

Jan 24, 2012
If you watched the fight, Reese didn't throw the guy out of the window, the guy rushed him and Reese just spun him into the window, letting the momentum carry him.
Jan 24, 2012
We had this discussion in the last recap. Reese goes from NOT being able to stand up(using the crutch to set off the fire alarm from the wheelchair) to walking with crutches, and then to throwing punches(not possible when gutshot), and then twisting his upper body 180degrees tossing the guy(or assisting his momentum if you prefer). All within the space of the 10 minute sequence. Just not physically possible with his injury, without tearing out the internal stitches, exterior staples, and just plain old pain kickin his ass. According to a timeline given it was apporximately 15 days after he was gutshot.
Jan 24, 2012
Lol, yes we did.

I guess I was just grateful they were acknowledging it at all and I hadn't thought beyond that - I figured he just couldn't stand up FAST for the difference between the two scenes. He said he'd be on his feet in a few days at the beginning - he had to be at least capable of caring for himself at this point and had to have the crutches for that reason. (although, yes, I think he should have hurt more just swinging those punches in Super). In Legacy he as mostly fine but I imagine a direct, blunt force hit to that scar tissue had to hurt. I imagine it depends on how much muscle the doc had to cut through to remove the bullet(s) and stitch him up and if the bones were hit or not.

Less realistic (for me) was the very beginning - I can't imagine how Finch kept him alive for three hours after he was shot until he got to that doctor (who presumably had no pain meds or anesthesia or IV's and blood for a transfusion).

Nothings ever really feasible on TV anyway so I'm just happy for these bits of continuity between the episodes.
More +
Jan 24, 2012
It didn't take away from the episode or the series. Just a minor oops from production on a feability level. I have no doubt they have a law enforcement consultant, but they need a medical consultant as well. Like I said, STILL 1 of my top 5 shows this year. That's the thing about likable characters and GREAT storylines, IMO, you are able to forgive the minor flaws and move on. THAT scene just snapped me back to reality for the first time since starting the series. Forgiven, forgotten, and mooooooooooving on.
Jan 22, 2012
Both Finch and Reese got hugs this episode. Very unusual!
Jan 22, 2012
that is so true, I loved the part when the lawyer hugged reese and he seemed so pleased with it:)
Jan 22, 2012
the part where Reese talked about his "boss" was hillarious.. what's more hillarious was Finch's response, facial mimics that seemed to really take those as a compliment:) he actually enjoyed it:) and in this episode we saw the main difference between the two: Finch is predictive and precautious but Reese is paranoid (not in a bad sense, in a special agent sense), and while Reese had closed his past, Finch's past is still affecting the day and his emotions.. that is why suddenly Finch became the surveiled: he is not paranoid enough and too emotional (for a guy that does what he does).. however I don't feel like Reese is following Finch with suspicion, it felt more like, he discovered that weakness and took precautions before Finch got himself in any trouble..

and for the Reese-isms: man, I so would like to have site dedicated for those.. one could go over each episode and laugh all again..

lastly I am expecting a big, two-episode finale for this season, where all of these POI's they helped will contribute somehow to save the team.. that would be sooo fantastic!
Jan 22, 2012
Hmmm ... at this point I'd have to say Finch.

Finch is the real mystery and his past ties everything together: how and why the machine was built, what happened to Ingram, how he was injured, why the government thinks he's dead, exactly what kind of access he has to the machine and/or it's data, how he really found Reese ... pretty much everything.

Reese, on the other hand, is only interesting as an individual. Sure I'd love to know exactly what kind of experience he has and what happened (exactly) that made him leave the CIA but I don't think it has much bearing on the show itself. Plus, although the audience doesn't know anything about him Finch knows everything (and we can infer quite a bit as there's a lot of pop culture in other shows/movies surrounding what a fictionalized CIA/Special Ops type likely has experience doing). So any revelation would likely only be directed at the audience - not a lot of interactive fun there and probably not terribly unique.

When Finch's past is revealed it's Reese doing the discovering (hopefully) and it's affecting their interactions with each other and possibly the direction of the episode(s).

That's my two cents anyway - and I reserve the right to completely change my mind at the end of every episode (especially if it gets really twisty turny) =]

As to the PoI's status being up in the air ... I'd say the Super WAS the perpetrator ... he just wasn't doing it for a bad reason. I think that the machine picked up on his plan to kill the boyfriend but the boyfriend hadn't been "planning" on killing the girl he was stalking ... his attempt to hurt her wound up being a crime of passion and not deducible by the machine.
Jan 22, 2012
@ChancseR= You are right, so much awesomeness, so little time! Anyways, I too agree with Reese's decision to keep Carter and Fusco in the dark about each other. It would just complicate what Reese and Finch are trying to do. Also the fact that they both know something's up with the other one is extremely comedic. My favorite parts by far of this episode were Fusco's first call to Reese telling him to watch his back because Carter is up to something, Reese's response to Fusco's worry about him was priceless. That is in a tie for favorite with Reese calling carter to ask her to find out which gym Andrea's would-be attacker trained at and Carter telling him she'd better not get called to a crime scene there if she gave in the info. Then, wouldn't you know, she gets called to a crime scene there when the guy gets hit by the garbage truck. The fact that she was surprised that something bad happened at the location she gave Reese and he was involved in it surprises me, but if she continues to be surprised by those sorts of things it's going to get old.
Jan 21, 2012
So much awesomeness, too little time.

The trust issues between Finch and Reese really peek my interest. I am sure they each have good reason to be mistrustful of others and hopefully as their backstories develop we will find out more. In the previous episode Reese had access to the computers and when he tried to log on to Finch's computer in the office his password was denied. Are the computers in Finch's office the ones with access to the NSA feeds that give the "irrelevant" numbers? I find it odd Finch could find out last weeks POI was in witness protection but couldn't access a sealed juvi. file this week.

Will, Ingram's son, was a nice additive this episode. He called Finch uncle and referred to him as his father's friend, not partner, so he might not be aware the extent of Finch's involvement in the company. Will also referred to being able to read an unauthorized biography, what information could it contain?

My big questions are who and how Ingram died. If Finch only has access to the "irrelevant" numbers what if Ingram's number, even Finch's, came up as a relevant threat, then only the NSA would be the ones with access and act upon them. The machine did mark Ingram as a possible threat.

Love the Carter/Reese exchanges. All the characters had good interactions this episode.

Nothing like an ongoing story line and unanswered questions to keep people coming back for more.

Jan 21, 2012
I feel like the POI would have stood out more if there hadn't of been a string of non-perpetrators. There was an unexpected twist at the end and Reese connected with Andrea in a way he normally doesn't with the POI, and not just for the purpose of flirting. He has a soft spot for the "scrappers". Am I the only one who thought of her as the lawyer Carter? I would personally like to see her come back in a later episode, I think she was a strong character.
I luv this show!

Its great that Carter is slowly starting to come within the fold, I thought she was going to forever be hunting him down. I wonder if Carter will connect the dots and work out that the 'homeless' man that she arrested in Ep 1 is actually Reese!

One point I'm confused about is that I thought Finch was supposed to be 'dead'. How come he's still in touch with Ingram's son?

Currently I am definitely more interested about Finch's backstory. I wanna know how Ingram died, how Finch was involved and what happened to make him care about the non-relevant list (or if this was tied to how Ingram died). I think Lionel tailing Finch is Reese's way of protecting Finch, given that he doesn't know whether Ingram's kid is good or bad (kinda like the weekly POI!)

As to the weekly POI, I think the guessing game is still there... it so happens that they've all been good... I'm sure they'll eventually do a series of bad's just to throw us all off! :)
I love it!
Jan 21, 2012
This show just surprises me more and more each episode.
Jan 21, 2012
I liked the case this week because I didn't see the foster child scam coming. I think this episode and "Witness" have elevated Amanda Segel to being my favorite writer on the show. I'm not sure how Finch spotted Reese's tail so easily in "Ghosts" but doesn't notice Fosco tailing him. Finch's is the more interesting backstory so far because it's the one we've gotten the most detail on, but I'm interested (albeit patiently) in seeing where their backstories cross.
Jan 21, 2012
I think you are right. Finches story is more interesting right now.

Also we saw Reese try to find out something about Finch. But at a certain point we saw Finch at his computer, while talking to Reese (in action), and on the monitor there was his picture, his prints and probably some info.

Anyone has some thought about that?
Jan 22, 2012
After re-watching the episode, the part where Reese's picture and prints are on the screen it has the name John, I think Fried, under the picture. The name is not John Reese so Finch had to invent an alias for Reese as a pretense for him to get close to the lawyer since he claimed to be an ex con, he had to be in the system.
Jan 21, 2012
- After being temporarily out of commission, this episode was forty minutes of Reese releasing all that pent up badassness he's been holding back since he got shot. I absolutely loved the way Reese brought Carter into the fold, and the banter between the two was brilliant! It was a little unexpected to see the dynamic between Finch & Reese change so quickly. But the situation is an intriguing one, and I'm definitely looking forward to how it pans out.

- At this point, I'm equally interested in both their pasts. What I love about this show is that it poses LOADS of questions:

1. How did Ingram die?

2. What happened in Ordos? What did Reese do there?

3. Did Reese really kill his handler?

4. Reese's girlfriend from previous episodes is dead. Her image was on one of Finch's computer screens in episode 2 (Ghosts), which means she could have been a POI back in 2007. Could her death have been prevented?

- I think Reese's decision for Fusco to tail Finch could be his way of looking out for him! Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Reese distrusts Finch. It seems more like Reese's professional curiosity is kicking in.

- I'm fine with the way the case-of-the-week is being handled. As long as Reese keeps doing what he does best, I won't miss the guessing game. As you may have noticed, this show already has a million things going for it.
Jan 21, 2012
First this was a really good, but not great episode. I had a problem with the so called Person of Interest story. It wasn't really interesting. Also I agree Carter just joining up with Finch and Reece doesn't really make sense, and the two men just trusting her also doesn't make sense seeing how secretive thetwo men, which leads me to what I like. If anyone truly believes that Reece fully trusts Finch then they are fools. Sure they may get a long and have playful banter between each other, but that doesn't mean Reece trust Finch. I get along with my fellow co workers and joke with them, but that doesn't mean I trust them, so people need to pull back and open their eyes. Finch is a man who built a machine, which he can most likely turn off and avoid and is very secretive of his past. Then there is Reece a who is ex-special forces and has trust issues of his own, so it's easy to see him getting Fusco to fallow Finch.
Jan 21, 2012
I cannot say enough how much I freakin' love this show. I love how well paced it was, because we got to see them all working together but it could still fall apart at any given second. Fusco doesn't know that Carter's in the know (possibly more than he is? I get the sense that right now Carter may seem like a Fusco 2.0 but that's for a trial basis because Reese is genuinely fond of her for more reasons than we may be privvy to...so whereas Fusco will most likely always remain an asset..Carter may become a full fledged "partner"). Finch is still cautious of both Carter and Fusco. Reese is still curious about Finch and The Machine. Even though seemingly unshakeable friendships/partnerships have formed (Reese&Finch) and unspoken mutual trust and respect has been formed (Reese&Carter), and unsual loyalty has been seemingly established (Reese&Fusco)...it's all thinly veiled in intrigue, caution, and mistrust because each of the characters aren't the type who easily trust anyone. That is fascinating...and great writing, because they can either all work together brilliantly, effectively, and in some kind of reluctant harmony...or they could fall apart literally at any given second. It's what makes me believe that even though they've picked up the pace...its giving the show room to have longevity.

I sooo agree with all those Reese-isms!!! I cracked up at each and every one! I love Jim's delivery...he nails it every single time! I even loved his flirting with the pretty lawyer. He's so charming and such a heart throb that it'd be nice to see him do that a little more...although he seems to have the witty bantering and camrarderie with Carter that could make up for it now that they're working together. I also agree that the introduction of Will was very interesting. I can't say that I like one backstory over the other. I think the difference between Finch's backstory and Reese's backstory is that...at this point because Reese is so..unpredictable, whatever they show about him would be interesting...but wouldn't be surprising....given his line of work and expertise. Whereas with Finch, he's a genuine enigma...you don't know what to expect.
Jan 21, 2012
Actually Tim, I believe the POI from last week was the potential perpetrator ! But, revealed to be so for a good cause.

About this week's episode I'd say that it was refreshing to learn about someone's backstory through something else than a flashback. It's also promising to see troubles emerge between our two vigilantes.

I worried here few weeks ago about the purpose on having both fusco and carter at their side. Maybe this situation will soon change but that's for sure something they will manage to make useful in the story.

Do we know how many eps the season will be ?
Jan 21, 2012
Finch's back story is way more interesting right now. And ep8 wasn't that long ago, it's not like the POI will never be the villain again (I'm pretty sure, anyways), patience..
Jan 21, 2012
OK--now I'm answering myself. It could just be the fake inmate ID for the young lawyer to check out while Reese is pretending to be a parolee suing his "difficult boss."

Onto other things--at first, when they met on the street, I thought the kid could be Finch's son, since they have the same height, hair color, texture, etc. Now the setup echos the "rich son of dead genius living in Daddy's old haunt" that we saw in Spiderman. Not a bad thing, since there are a lot of possibilities for a Finch-Little Ingram tug of war. Control of information and misplaced trust seem to be Finch's weaknesses. Throw in what seems to be genuine love that is blind ("Thanks for bailing me out again") and it's complicated.

With a better POI, it could have been a great episode.
Jan 21, 2012
I enjoyed the episode. I think the back and forth between Carter and Reese is very well done. Almost up to the banter between Finch and Reese. But she and Reese have a long time before they can get up to the banter of Finch and Reese from "Super". The poke the guy in the eye dialogue will still be my favorite for a long time. Having said that however, some of the stuff Reese and Carter were coming up with were great. "just because you won't do something illegal doesn't mean I won't " That was great.

As for Fosco tailing Finch. I think that just pokes at their relationship. Which invariably is they are both smart guys whom respect each other and the skills that both bring to the table for their endeavor. But they are going to poke at each other and test the waters but they aren't going to do it in an entirely covert method. Hence the use of Fosco. Because that man lumbers around the screen like a bull. So I think it is more of a "I know that you know that I know you know " kind of a thing. Though Reese is an operator and he wants to know who Finch is and what his motivations are. So he is going to push to find out.

As for whose backstory is more interesting. I think they are both equally interesting. I think we can guess at Finch's and probably be pretty accurate. However, I would like to see how Reese goes from running black ops to ending up on a train as a bum. But also, I think that it is interesting that even someone that knows Finch fairly well, doesn't know anything about him as we found out with his interactions with Will. I find that is interesting.

As for the current format. I think it is intentional and goes along well with introducing Carter to the scooby squad. I think they are doing this intentional to break her in easier and have her grab on to the idea of what they do easier. And when the bad guy gets his number pulled it will make for a more interesting crisis of conscience and values when Carter has to not only deal with potentially taking down person that hasn't done anything yet. But how she deals with Reese who is going to take down the person who hasn't don't anything yet.

Also in the episodes of late there has also been a lot of backstory and setting up the whole CIA after Reese thing. And the bringing of Carter into the fold. That takes up a lot of air time.

So I am not mad at it because I am pretty sure their is going to be a what kind of person is this number episode in the near future.
Jan 21, 2012
This show is fast becoming as Great as Homeland!

There is humor with drama and intrigue! How can you not love these characters! And they way they mix up the story lines-its just not about doing something good each week and saving someone, there it so much depth!
Jan 21, 2012
I like how they're changing up the dynamics in the show now. Carter working with Finch was great. I loved their different ideals when it comes to how to do their jobs. The scene after the guy gets hit by the garbage truck was a great example of how good their new relationship can be, and I hope to get more moments like this. Speaking of which, after Reese and Carter saved the lawyer, I was expecting Reese to make a comment along the lines of "See? I can play nice too." I also like what they're doing with Reese's relationship with Finch. I do agree that it was kind of odd that he'd send Fusco to follow him, but I just like the idea of Reese working behind Finch's back to get more information about him. Also, I agree with you that, at least at the moment, I'm more interested in seeing more of Finch's past. Part of this has to do with the fact that he was the one who worked on the machine, so getting to know more about him will most likely mean that we'll get more information on this important part of the show's story as well. Also, the story with his old partner seems like it could lead to something interesting. After the previous episode, where the machine identified him as a threat, I've been thinking that it might be a variation of the HAL story from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I could be wrong, of course, but either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what the writers do with that story. Though I am still very interested in learning more about Reese, especially in relation with the CIA agents and his old partner.
Jan 21, 2012
This show is awesome. I especially liked Finch's muttering: "Well here I was going to move at a sloth like pace and get myself captured." He may be deadpan, but the zingers are so unexpected they are utterly hilarious.