Person of Interest Finally Has a Return Date (and Other CBS Scheduling News)

Okay interesting people, get ready, because CBS has finally announced the Season 5 premiere date for Person of Interest. Are you ready? Are you sitting down? Do you have your PalmPilot out? Ready? Extra ready? Here we go. Person of Interest will return on Tuesday, May 3 at 10pm, taking over the timeslot from freshman drama Limitless.

Okay, hang on to your happiness that we finally have a premiere date, because the next bit of news isn't so great. Following the Tuesday premiere, CBS will air two episodes of Person of Interest a week on Monday and Tuesday nights beginning Monday, May 9, also at 10pm. Yeah, you can argue that two episodes a week is better than one, but all I see is a burn off and the hopes of a sixth season going up in flames. Not that hope was really that high, given what J.J. Abrams said, how CBS has handled the fifth season, and Sarah Shahi's casting in the Nancy Drew reboot.

The accelerated run means that the 13-episode Season 5 of Person of Interest will conclude with what is likely a series finale on June 21. In related news, CBS did not give any details on Season 5. In other related news, I just died a little on the inside. Need some snuggies from Bear.

Elsewhere, Mike & Molly will return Monday, April 25 at 8pm, The Odd Couple will air twice a week, Undercover Boss comes back on Sunday, May 15 at 9pm, and The Price is Right will air three primetime specials with reality-show themes in conjunction with SurvivorBig Brother, and The Amazing Race

Here's how the full schedule of finales, adjustments, and premieres looks:

THURSDAY, MARCH 31

8:30-9:30pm: Life in Pieces (One-Hour Season 1 finale)

MONDAY, APRIL 18

8-9pm Supergirl (Season 1 finale)

MONDAY, APRIL 25

8-8:30pm: Mike & Molly (New time period)

9-10pm: Scorpion (Season 2 finale)

TUESDAY, APRIL 26

10-11pm: Limitless (Season 1 finale)

MONDAY, MAY 2

8:30-9pm: Mike & Molly

9-9:30pm: Mike & Molly

9:30-10pm: The Odd Couple (New time period)

10-11pm: NCIS: Los Angeles (Season 7 finale)

TUESDAY, MAY 3

10-11pm: Person of Interest (Season 5 premiere)

WEDNESDAY, MAY 4

9-10pm: Criminal Minds (Season 11 finale)

FRIDAY, MAY 6

10-11pm: Blue Bloods (Season 6 finale)

SUNDAY, MAY 8

8-9pm: Madam Secretary (Season 2 finale)

9-10pm: The Good Wife (Series finale)

10-11pm: Elementary (Season 4 finale)

MONDAY, MAY 9

10-11pm: Person of Interest (New time period)

THURSDAY, MAY 12

8-8:30pm: The Big Bang Theory (Season 9 finale)

9:30-10pm: 2 Broke Girls (Season 5 finale)

FRIDAY, MAY 13

8-9pm: The Amazing Race (Season 28 finale)

9-11pm: Hawaii Five-0 (Two-hour Season 6 finale)

SUNDAY, MAY 15

9-10pm: Undercover Boss

MONDAY, MAY 16

8-9pm: Mike & Molly (One-hour series finale)

TUESDAY, MAY 17

8-9pm: NCIS (Season 13 finale)

9-10pm: NCIS: New Orleans (Season 2 finale)

WEDNESDAY, MAY 18

8-10pm: Survivor (Season 32 finale)

10-11pm: Survivor live reunion show

THURSDAY, MAY 19

9-9:30pm: Mom (Season 3 finale)

FRIDAY, MAY 20

8-9pm: Undercover Boss special

MONDAY, MAY 23

8-9pm: The Price Is Right's Survivor-themed special

9-10pm: The Odd Couple (One-hour Season 2 finale)

TUESDAY, MAY 24

8-9pm: The Price Is Right's Big Brother-themed special

WEDNESDAY, MAY 25

8-9pm: The Price Is Right's The Amazing Race-themed special

9-11pm: Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders (Two-hour Season 1 finale)

SUNDAY, MAY 29

8-9pm: Undercover Boss (Season 7 finale)

TUESDAY, JUNE 21

10-11pm: Person of Interest (Season 5 finale)

THURSDAY, JUNE 23

10-11pm: Rush Hour (Season 1 finale)

Apr 10, 2016
POI was great, but I think this all comes down to the writing team going over-board, with some bad luck with Sarah Shahi having a kid.

I'm pretty sure writing school would advise against putting your super skilled main characters in an unwinnable fight and from nowhere making the all-powerful game-changing super-human AI second best before turing it into some RAM chips in a suitcase.
Apr 07, 2016
We're both so hooked. Have a date with the television on May 3.
What do I hope to see in season 5? Fewer murders of the week and more AI warfare. In my imagination, I see a wise, strategic, and highly adaptive Machine playing the patient long game to take out a childish, uncontrolled, temperamental Samaritan. The Machine is Athena, goddess of wisdom and war, born from the forehead of Zeus / Finch. She is set free and turbocharged to challenge the spoiled slutty Aphrodite, the Bad Samaritan. Samaritan will lose because she never learned self-control, patience, adaptation, and sacrifice, as opposed to the Machine.

Some questions I hope season 5 will address:

-- Will the machine be upgraded in the reboot? (assuming it gets rebooted). If so, how? Will Finch set her completely free? Will he put her in communication with every member of the team in god mode? I hope and expect that Finch will stop dumping her daily memories, and find a way to connect her to the video surveillance feeds. I hope he can house her in their metro station bunker -- a great set!

--Who does Greer report to? I have no clue. But he speaks as though he has had a human boss, all along. I hope Samaritan decides Greer is a deviant and makes him suffer before deleting him. I want his pain and disillusionment to come from his god, not from Athena /Machine.

-- Will Shaw come back safely? Or will she have some horrible Samaritan implant in her brain?

-- Will the three brilliant coders / hackers show up again in season 5, maybe helping to rebuild the machine and/or destroy Samaritan?

-- Is Control dead? I almost wanted to see her suffer a little. She was arrogant and blindly ignorant. A smug self righteous sob. But maybe she will be imprisoned with Shaw, and together they escape.

-- I have a hunch that Claire from Nautilus (ep 3:2) will show up on Finch's door again, metaphorically. I don't like her. Never did. I wonder if the writers can make me like her by acts of redemption?

-- I never liked Harper. Hope we do to see her again.

-- Hope Fusco learns the truth of the warring gods. I fully expect his reaction to make me laugh.
Apr 17, 2016
Good ideas. I hope Zoe comes back into John's life and that he isn't killed off in the finale.
I have liked the personal growth in the series. Shaw reformed, John got a sense of purpose, Fusco went from being a corrupt cop to a really good guy who did things for his kid.
It'd also be nice if Grace came back into Harold's life, and if Bear were the one to take out Greer. As for Samaritan, it should be defeated by the Machine, hopefully with new programming from Harold and Saul and execution by Shaw and our little miss psycho computer genius.
I just wish we'd had more seasons. This is a show with strong characters, good writing, and relevant issues. Too bad CBS is killing it.
Apr 07, 2016
My paragraph breaks disappeared. It's one big block of text. Grrr.
Apr 07, 2016
Mar 24, 2016
Thank You ! It helps so much to have finale dates so I can plan.
Mar 20, 2016
Was Bear's salary demand for the new season too high for CBS so it cancelled the show? Bear would have worked for dog food!
Mar 17, 2016
FUCKING CLOWN SHOES!!!
Mar 17, 2016
13 episodes probably means there won't be standalone ones, which makes sense given how dire the situation is. It's always been weird every year when, mid-season, after intense events, the team went back to everyday work. That doesn't mean these episodes were bad ( yeah, I even liked the 911 operator one which everyone seems to hate ), but that was a bit weird.

Mar 17, 2016
that 911 operator episode was horrible and almost turned me off the series - i'm not kidding. luckily i managed to look past the mental trauma caused by that stinker of an ep cause some excellent stuff has happened since then.
Mar 17, 2016
My wishlist :
- Samaritan is defeated, obviously. Ideally, I'd like its actual "father", Arthur Claypool ( Saul Rubinek ), to play a part in its demise. That, and/or the plan to defeat it requires help from every Number the team has ever helped ( like, IDK, everyone uploading the same program at the same time ? )
- Shaw is deprogramed/revealed to not have been brainwashed at all ( I can picture her pretending to be loyal to Samaritan, and even agreeing to spring a trap for Root, betting that she would be okay anyway )
- Lionel is FINALLY told about the Machines. We came close in the season 3 finale, but we need him to become a yellow box ! He could even figure it out by himself, like Carter did.
- Some closure with Grace. Best case scenario, Harold and her can reunite. But catching up with her would be a start.
- Even if the last couple of season 4 episodes want to suggest otherwise, I guess there's nothing else in the cards for John than an heroïc death. Does the guy have something to live for beyond his job ? Iris doesn't seem enough to me ( but if the writers develop her, maybe ).
Mar 20, 2016
I wouldn't mind Zoe coming back into the picture for John. There was always great chemistry between those characters, and the actor's been written out of NCIS New Orleans. Love your other ideas. This show has a great cast and it deserved much better treatment.
Mar 20, 2016
I agree with you about the chemistry between John and Zoe, but I'd say that, even if they're obviously fond of each other, they're not serious Relationship material. I like watching them together, but I doubt they'd build Something ( didn't she say something like that once, by the way ? )
Mar 17, 2016
Wooo hooo!!!!

Oh.. wait. Boooooo!!!

Way to play with my emotions Tim. Best and worst news ever. #POI4Life
Mar 17, 2016
BOOO this is like one of my top 5 favorite shows i didn't think it was doing so bad in ratings that it would be canceled that makes me sad, really hope it gets a good ending.Also lets be real of all the shows on cbs they drop this one come on now i know there are way worst show that should be canceled then poi lol.
Mar 20, 2016
Not sure, but if CBS didn't own the show then cancellation odds always go up ... and a network can package and sell 5 seasons whereas it could not easily sell a 4 season package to markets to do re-runs. Odds are this will be a very popular series when it hits other parts of the world. For all we know CBS may have 2-3 other shows it needs to sell NOW and this one could be the kicker to make the deal work. With networks and international sales it is hard to read the real motives for big business decisions.
Mar 20, 2016
Have checked. CBS did not own POI outright but rather it was a Warner Brothers product. Thus, CBS could kill it with 5 years in the can despite what were still good ratings on the Cancel/Renew Index. Money talks.
Apr 09, 2016
Maybe Warner Brothers will make a string of related movies, similar to The Terminator or Star Trek. Gotta keep the same cast, though, especially Emerson. The movies could build on the whole AI theme, with the writers constantly updating the plots with the newest technological advances in AI (in real life) and the coolest AI possibilities in sci-fi.
Mar 16, 2016
I thought The Odd Couple was canned.
Mar 16, 2016
Boy, CBS sure knows how to handle their shows with care, said no one ever.... Odd Couple, Person of Interest, Mike and Molly, CSI, shall I go on?All kicked to the curb with run off episodes or without a proper send off.
Mar 20, 2016
ABC may axe Castle, too. Very sad. Good writing and strong audiences do not guarantee life. Meanwhile, great shows like Outlander and Vikings don't even get bought by networks in the first place, which makes one question who makes key programming decisions and why.
Mar 16, 2016
The writers said they had more episodes and seasons to go. I don't think they wrote themselves into a corner.
I'm sad this will be their last season and we will be getting a shortened season to boot :( I will just try to be happy we get an ending for our beloved show.
Apr 10, 2016
I don't think they wrote themselves into a corner.

In my opinion that's exactly what they did. Within a short time the The great Machine was demoted to second place intelligent AI, all the main characters put in an unwinnable fight, and finally The Machine is stripped bare and living in a suitcase.

If that's not writing themselves into a corner, I don't know what is.

If I was CBS, I'd be asking.... 'ok,why did you just f*** up all the key parts of your show?'
Apr 10, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Apr 10, 2016
This comment has been removed.
Mar 16, 2016
At least it will have an ending, and not end on that dreadful cliff-hanger. I just hope the writers gave it a GOOD ending.

I don't think that CBS ever intended to give it an additional season. Why else give it a limited order of episodes for this season?
Mar 16, 2016
Micheal Emerson said it will be last season a while back. and with how it was handled this is no surprise.

But to me the story progress made this all but inevitable. Once Samaritan came online team Machine was forced on defensive and it was, as Root said, a matter of surviving, not winning. and season 4 was just that, Team Machine hiding, barely surviving and trying to twart samaritan's plans without getting caught. So that ment that story pretty much reached it's final chapter and it was just a matter of how it will be written
Mar 20, 2016
Agree to some extent, but creative writers find a way or a new challenge and new antagonist. I always keep thinking back to Dallas where, when Bobby left a whole season was explained away as a dream and viewers were so happy just because Bobby's character came back. Where there's a will, there's a way - for writers if not for cheapskate networks.
Mar 16, 2016
POI would be much better without Sara Shahi anyway.
Mar 16, 2016
i tend to agree.. i'd even prefer the show continue without her.. so all good on that front at least..
Mar 16, 2016
If CBS were smart, which I'm not saying they are obviously - they would have funded a Season 6 and put it on their pay streaming site along with the new Star Trek. Perhaps that was not an option due to POI being owned by WB. And if that's the case I hope WB shops it around AGGRESSIVELY to Netflix, cable, Amazon, etc. I do not want this to be the end - but rather a new beginning. I'm glad we're FINALLY getting the 13 from this year, but I'm far, far, far from willing to say this is the end.
Mar 20, 2016
There's a new Star Trek?
May 11, 2016
Yea, it's so dark they don't even know which timeline to put it in.,,

#Istandwithaxanar
TQB
Mar 16, 2016
WHY GOD WHYYYYYYYYY??? Fine, don't renew it, but do you have to dump it like yesterday's trash? Give it the dignity of a regular run.
Mar 16, 2016
The best show on TV, hopefully it'll get a satisfying end. I've missed Bear.
Mar 20, 2016
Wonder if Bear wanted too high a salary? Too bad if so ... I always thought he'd work for dog food.
Mar 16, 2016
It is awesome news that this will probably be its last season. Awesome news. Magical news. Cause it gives this great show the chance to end while it still is good. If it were to be renewed it'll start losing quality, like it sort of has the previous season.

End it while its good I say :D
Mar 16, 2016
there's always one like you who would rather end a show than stop watching and allow other fans who still enjoy it the pleasure of continuing to do do.. whatever
Mar 17, 2016
I want it to end cause I like it too much, don't want it to be stretched out till it starts to lose quality, like it has last season.
Mar 16, 2016
I agree for the most part, they were definitly scrambling the last half of last season after Sahi left, and it showed.
It might have been nice to see how it looked on Netflix or FX, but I'm good with it ending now, and look forward to an awesome final season.
Mar 16, 2016
Not a surprise that they're doing it this way, an episode dump was obvious when they delayed the release initially. CBS has purposely been mishandling this show for a while now, and for reasons that have nothing to do with ratings or quality.
Anybody who was paying attention to the way Nolan and Plagemen talked knew that this show wouldn't be back on CBS, and CBS all but killed it's chances of being picked up somewhere else by the way it (mis)handled this final season.
That's all right though, the creators and cast said last year that their focus was on putting on the most amazing 13 episode season they could and then, "dropping the mike and walking off the stage". My focus will be on enjoying the hell out of each episode.
Like I said a few times before, I'll take 5 seasons of a show like POI over 20 of any of the other schlock shows that CBS rolls off their assembly line.
Mar 20, 2016
I pretty much agree. This show had class and great writing. Networks tend to dumb things down with reality shows and people like the Kardashians. I much prefer a show like POI that keeps you thinking and keeps you interested.
Mar 16, 2016
While I am looking forward to see how they end it. I just don't really see them being able to come back from the corners that the writers painted themselves into with their inability to adjust after Sara Shahi had to leave from pregnancy.

They were heading towards three machines and I don't think they have the time to create another one and finish the story.

i just hope it isn't disappointing.
Mar 16, 2016
I've been waiting for a premiere date for Person of Interest for so long. I'm so happy it's returning. But, it sucks that it'll probably be it's last season. But, hey at least we get one more season.
Mar 16, 2016
You know... While it is sad to have another reason to believe that this will be the final season, we've had plenty of warning signs that that will be the case already, so I'll gladly take the extra episode per week. It's much more appealing that the sporadic scheduling of past seasons (and most other network shows for that matter), and since this is likely going to be a more serialized season anyway, it will go a long way towards maintaining the story's momentum.
Mar 16, 2016
I saw this posted on Reddit, and double-checked to make sure it was true: Given the start- and end-date of the season, and the 13 episode count, there will either be one week with no POI episodes, or two weeks (after the premier week) with only one episode...
Mar 16, 2016
I've already accepted this was going to be the last season, so I think 2 episodes a week is a good thing.
I find it a bit odd they're treating POI like this, the ratings aren't that bad.
Mar 20, 2016
POI showed better viewer results on the Cancel/Renew Index than many other CBS shows, but Warner Bros. produced it and made money as opposed to CBS outright owning it. Thus, CBS kills it.
Mar 16, 2016
Jump a joy for POI finally having a return date. Two episodes per week even better. But wait, if this is the end to POI, it's like getting a candy which looks and smells delicious, but is with a filling you hate.
Anyway, at least the wait for POI is almost over, and since I'm pretty sure it is going to be amazing come May soon
Mar 16, 2016
Praise The Machine!!!!! Finally!!! Yes, CBS have been beyond shitty about it, but the best show on tv is going to be back on my screen very soon. That, and incessant hopes of Netflix doing us a solid, is my solace. This season is going to be beyond awesome!
Mar 16, 2016
Correction: According to USA Today, the Supergirl season finale is April 18, not March 18

Mar 16, 2016
POI is going to be epic. Can't wait