Person of Interest: It's Getting Smarter!

Person of Interest computer

Do NOT F with Reese, even when he's on crutches! That's lesson number one. But more importantly, Person of Interest is doing some really, really cool things with themes of privacy, technology, and good old-fashioned ass-beating. CBS's new drama has been pretty terrific all season long because it benefits from a clear sense of what it is and what it's about, and all the while has building an intriguing story with interesting characters. Last night's episode, "Super", continued this, and gave us a flashback for one of the show's coolest characters: Finch's computer code, which we lovingly refer to as the program, computer, or machine.

What other show out there would devote a flashback to a computer? You can argue that the trips back to 2005 were about Finch and his former boss Nathan, but my takeaway was understanding how far the computer has progressed and where it will go next. Computer back in '05 wasn't nearly the slick machine it is today; we saw that in the cool interstitials. Now it's generating three-dimensional wireframes of buildings and tracking people, even keeping tabs on its partners Reese and Finch. Before, it used voice recognition (and gait analysis!) to spit out information on people in DOS-style font. Now it's registering audio, tapping cell phones (it even has the decency to block out the whole phone number), and updating threat analysis in real time. It's getting smarter every day and becoming more of a character with each episode. This kind of stuff gets me very, very excited.

But any show can make a super-smart computer program that can spy on the population and identify potential threats and victims. What Person of Interest does differently is show us how that kind of technology relates to the two characters who rely on it. It also shows how the information the machine processes and spits out is useless without the right people to process it. I absolutely loved the mini-program microcosm Finch and Reese set up in the apartments by hacking the building's Wi-Fi networks and the hare-brained hypotheses the dynamic duo came up with as they tried to analyze the information they were receiving from spying on the tenants (especially the hot girl doing yoga). It all added up to character development... for a computer. Finch and Reese and the computer are in this together, and they're all integral parts of their operation.

Person of Interest computer

Sorry about all that dorking out over a fake computer becoming the Third Amigo. The episode's main story involved a superintendent of an apartment building, played by Dexter's David Zayas, expanding the series' impressive guest list. It was one of those "He's the bad guy he's the bad guy he's the bad guy oops he's not the bad guy!" cases-of-the-week, which is fine by me because most of the cases are merely there to supplement the main characters, backstories, and overarching themes. Unless a case is particularly interesting, I won't talk about it in these reviewcapanalysis stories, and this episode's case doesn't merit a lot of time. All you need to know is that in the end they got the bad guy, a pretty boy stalker with a violent streak toward women. Oh, and that he was thrown out of the window by a guy (Reese) on crutches .

It was really fun to watch a laid-up Reese and Finch swap places. Anytime Finch goes out into the field, things are going to be entertaining, and seeing a wheelchair-bound Reese go stir crazy in the apartment while peeping through binoculars at various tenants (Rear Window homage to the max) was like watching an indoor cat paw at the window. The show's subtle sense of humor continues to impress. How funny was it to see Reese in a wheelchair and wielding a hammer while his sink gushed like a geyser?

Person of Interest computer

Carter also made some serious progress in figuring out what Reese and Finch are up to, thanks to Finch "throwing her into the deep end of the pool." He essentially handed her one of the computer's numbers, and she became witness to their little game in person. "That, Detective Carter, is what we do," Finch said as she cuffed the perp and had no choice but to become a believer. Badass. She'll be part of the team in no time.

But before I wrap things up here, let's talk some more about the flashbacks. In addition to seeing a lot of computer backstory, we saw more of Nathan brokering deals with the government on behalf of his company, which was developing the machine. He offered to sell the program to the NSA for the price of an item at a dollar store, but never revealed why. And the biggest reveal came at the end of the episode (this show has GREAT endings, doesn't it?), when the good old computer, in 2005, typed out the words: "Possible Threat Detected. Subject: Ingram, Nathan C." right after Ingram referred to the computer as "a thing" and Finch talked about the machine's knack for self-preservation and warned him "Be careful, it can hear you." Oh. Shit. We know Ingram is dead in the present (remember his bust in the lobby of Finch's building in Episode 2?), and it looks like we'll find out how he died pretty soon. And it's probably not too farfetched to assume Finch had something to do with it, and may have gotten his trademark limp in the process.

Also, did the computer just feel threatened? Is this thing sentient? Is it beta SkyNet? Did the computer mean that Nathan was a threat to itself, or was it just crunching numbers and determining that Nathan might be the next Person of Interest? We need to discuss this in the comments, guys.

"Super" was a fantastic midseason return, and Person of Interest continues to open new doors at a perfect pace.

Person of Interest computer

Notes:

– Michael Kelly as the CIA guy is great. He's such a dick. "Coffee is for closers."

– Some more surprisingly funny lines of dialogue:

Finch: "Random alpha-numerics. You gotta love a girl with security habits."

Reese, pointing to his wheelchair: "We need to do some legwork."

– Speaking of Reese's wheelchair, I'm glad the producers didn't just have Reese walking around all healthy after getting shot. This show is treating us with respect.

– Do you think the computer is at all sentient?

– Are you telling all your friends to watch this show, or what?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

What I think is, Finch & Nathan are old friends and 2005 business partners. Nathan is the front man, and no one ever knows about Finch. Nathan is in danger from the bad guy government spook who wants to take over control of the machine. In struggle for that control, Nathan is killed and Finch badly injured. Finch decides it's safest to let government bad guys think Finch died, too. Finch goes underground. The other possibility is that Nathan tries to help one of the "irrelevant" numbers on his own, and gets himself killed, and Finch almost killed. Prediction about tomorrow's episode: Finch doesn't want Carter to know where the POIs come from, because in his experience, everyone who knows about the machine eventually will die in murky circumstances.
I'm glad I'm not the only one appreciating Michael Kelly as the CIA agent, from the moment he came on screen I was happy to watch him be an asshole.

As for Finch's mysterious limp, this is something I have been pondering since day one, and once the show first included flashbacks with Nathan ( yes, I'm still enjoying the old Goodwin/Ben chemistry) I have suspected that the limp was a result of some confrontation between the two. I cannot wait to find out what happened! I'm hoping Finch channeled his inner Reese and went all badass to defend his creation from Nathan!
i keep telling everyone to watch it! even those who don't listen to me. haha! :D i adore this show!! :D
this show not only provides great deal of catharsis (every time when reese kicks some ass I raise my fist and say "there you go!"), it also makes me laugh much more than some shows presented under the title "comedy".. the dialogues between reese and finch are soo good, so witty, how they appreciate each other and everything.. this is THE BEST show of 2011.. I keep on telling it to everybody, it is a must-see series.. and that final scene.. we dont know if the computer claimed nathan was a threat or was a target to a threat.. but if it turns out that finch had to get rid of nathan, that would be another "wow" moment too..
" Speaking of Reese's wheelchair, I'm glad the producers didn't just have Reese walking around all healthy after getting shot. This show is treating us with respect. "

It was a great episode BUT this I have to disagree with. No matter where Reese was shot, it was not physically possible for him to throw that guy through the window. For a test, pick up a 1 gal bottle of milk or water. Now twist your body swinging the bottle 180 degrees. There are NO mid section muscles NOT in use. So unless his wheelchair timeline was over 3 weeks or he slipped over to TVD for a quick sip......I call BS !! It ok, not a deal killer just not reality. So, give credit where it's due but not here.
This bothered me as well. Since a shot to the gut is often a mortal wound, I thought the writers/producers cut that corner a bit too sharply. That said, it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying the episode. My high school senior was riveted as well, even though he hadn't been more than mildly interested in POI until then. He was still talking about the episode over the weekend.
Hmmm ... I loved that he was in a wheel chair, also. I like continuity in shows - even if it is in small bits.

As to the time ... I assumed real time while would be almost a month. For evidence in the show ... the archival video feeds shown at the beginning of the episode show him being shot on 15 December 2011. In the flashback feeds they always advance back to 2012 before they start 'real time' again. So ... at minimum15 days.

And yes, I have an obsession problem w/ this show =P
OK, then with that timeline it makes no sense that he was UNABLE to stand from the wheelchair to set off the fire alarm!! 1 of the 2 scenes doesn't fit. Even at 15 days internal healing, internal stitching, and just plain old muscle stress wouldn't allow the toss.
How do you find the energy to be annoyed with these things? The point is (as always) not to f--k with Reese, regardless of his condition, a fact that helps make this show so damn entertaining. We all know that he does things in just about all episodes that isn't strictly right or possible but who cares.. It's Reese! Just watch and enjoy.
My husband and I love this show so much. What a return! The episode was fantastic.
I think the computer is somewhat aware, yes.

As for the show, this episode wasn't as strong as the one before, but it had some moments of genius in it for sure, most notably in the dialogue between Finch and Carter ("That, Detective Carter, is what we do," was perfect economy of dialogue!).
Reese beating a guy up while on crutches was really fun.

The end was awesome. "Possible Threat Detected. Subject: Ingram, Nathan C." It's certainly worded in a way to make you question whether it's referring to Ingram as a possible person of interest, or an actual threat to the machine. I think it's the latter, just because the whole conversation between Finch and Ingram at the end kind of suggested it, with Ingram asking "You sure it was Weeks?" and Finch replying "The machine told me. It has an instinct for self-preservation."
And earlier in the episode - right after the scene where Weeks and Ingram were talking about the machine and Weeks was talking in a way that it sounded like the whole program might be scrapped if the system were left as a black box - the machine displayed an almost identical note identifying Weeks as a possible threat. In both cases, to me at least, it was very clear that it considered that person a threat to itself, not that the person was a PoI. The other reason I think that when it identifies a "threat' it's referring to a threat to its own security/existence rather than a PoI is that we - and presumably it - never knows *how* the person belonging to the number it spits out is going to be involved in some kind of violent crime - they could be the perpetrator or the victim - meaning that not every number it spits out would be considered a "threat."
Excellent show... But have an issues with the writer here: "You can argue that the trips back to 2005 were about Finch and his former boss Nathan." Finch and Nathan aren't employee and employer!! They were partners, Finch is the brains, and Nathan was the people person he can smoosh who he needs too!! But most Important they are equals!!!
This episode was pure perfection. Every since "Get Carter" and obviously...the episode with the revelation of Elias was huge too, but this show has gotten even better...which is crazy considering it was already phenomenal to begin with. I'm addicted to this show and I look forward to it each week. I loved that they took a realistic approach. I loved that they picked up where we left off giving us the explaination as to how Reese survived the entire affair. I love that Reese was actually sitting this out, as much as he could. It was real. And it made the stakes even higher because contrary to how badass Reese and Finch are in their own right...they are still human. The two of them switching places, and excelling but still obviously preferring their given roles was well done.

I continue to be intrigued by the dynamic of the relationships of these characters. I'm a total nerd about those sort of things...so I was just so enthralled in how this show subtlely but effectively gives each character growth and development, and shifts in how they interact w/o doing it at an unrealistic pace. The bromance between Finch and Reese is what makes them one of my favorite new dynamic duos on television. I can't even say it's a budding bromance...it's already there and present and just blossoming into more depth every episode. Even something as subtle as them simultaneously checking out the hot Yoga chick. They implemented just the perfect amount of humor in that as they always do, implemented just the right amount of normalcy in them...that makes them more relatable than most "heroes" on tv, and implemented just the right touch of bonding...which was a nod at their partnership/friendship. They are growing to trust each other...they'll probably never fully do so, since neither of them are particulary trusting in nature, but still. But then there is Carter...if you asked me prior to Get Carter if I thought she would be so interesting and contribute to their dymamic...I would have said I sincerely hope so but as of yet I don't see it. I see it now. I love it now. I love that she's come into her own and that there is the possibility of her working alongside them rather than against him. That actually fits better with her role. Plus...I think Taraji and Jim have a nice chemistry...and therefore Reese and Carter have a nice chemistry. I'm dying to see what happens when they meet face to face again. I love Reese's fondness for her...his protectiveness, his reverance, and respect for her. Even Finch doesn't quite understand it...but the amount of concern in Reese's voice in that brief few seconds where he tells Finch to watch after her....loved it. I think they'll have an interesting dynamic Carter and Reese, which will have an impact on the dynamic between Finch and Reese. Loved the scene between Finch and Carter where he threw her into the deep end. And do gooder that she is...she went along with it rather than attempting to actually pursue him. I think the complexity in her character will be so interesting...I know many people tend to villianize her for her actions but from her perspective she made sense. I loved how savvy she was dodging the CIA...and how smart it was that the writers are slowly driving her towards Reese and Finch, since they keep having common enemies...the CIA...and Elias. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for her, Reese,Finch...and when she's aware of Fusco's role.

I too throughly enjoyed how they make the machine itself a huge character. I think it does feel...it's insane really. I'm interested to see what more comes...and I wonder if down the line the machine will reach that point where it cannot be reigned in by Finch. I don't know...that thing is so smart (gait analysis had me spitting out my water I swear it did!) and I wonder if they'll broach that almost cliche topic of the machine getting too smart for all of them.

It's funny because at times I wonder if the show is going too fast with it's storylines....but I'm too enthralled in it and enjoy the fast pace too much to really worry about it. I mean we've seen the progression of Finch and Reese's realtionship, we've seen Carter's number come up and now she'll be meeting Reese and most likely joining their unorthodox crime stopping team, we've seen the role reversal between Reese and Finch. I never would have thought they'd cover so much in so few episodes...but I love it, because they give us so much but do it in such a plausible, realistic way that it doesn't seem outrageous. I tell everyone about this show. The dry humor, the action, the relationships, the intricacies...the fantastic writing, and the great actors. I don't know how anyone can not watch this show.
This episode was perfect. It couldn't have been any better. Finch and Reese are such interesting and charismatic characters, I love watching them and they are such a great team. The dialouges are funny and smart. I cannot wait to see what is going to happen next. There are so many interesting possibilities ahead. POI is without doubt the best new show. Please guys keep up this super great job ...!!!!
I absolutely love this show.I think it would be great to find out that the machine is not only sentient,but also in some way,out of control.

Not in the sense that it is faking the numbers it dishes out,but in the sense that the information cannot be controlled on censored,or as Finch so nicely says: "It sees everything..."
The one thing that worries me... It's not possible to indefinitely get better and better with each new episode, right? :)
One can only hope :-)

They've been doing it so far!
Tim Surette had some things wrong. Reese was using a camera and not binoculars to spy on occupants. Nathan was not Finch's boss. Nathan signed the checks and collected the awards (stated in _Ghosts_) but Finch did the work. That was the arrangement.
Staff
You're right. It was a camera. And technically he's not his boss. I'll fix that.
This show is brilliant on all levels: music, locations, script, score, characters, and cast. Just give it the 2012 Emmys for all categories now because even though it's a drama, it's humor is funnier than 90% of what's on TV right now. Finch had me giggling with his "You gotta love a girl with good security habits" line, but I was howling with laughter after the exchange with Reese - R: Well, I better keep an eye on her then. F: You're not tailing her work! R: (looking at his wheelchair) I'm getting pretty good at this thing. F: Yes, I'm sure the CIA will be deeply impressed WHEN THEY SHOOT YOU! R: Just feeling a little restless here, Finch F: USE the cushion!
Me and my friends have been watching this show from the first episode and it's interesting,exciting and suspenseful with some action,very good show including the characters,my friends call me to remind me the shows coming on,Emmett North Jr.
This show is among the many reasons CBS is kicking the other networks asses. Person Of Interest started off good and kept getting better. Love this series and am looking forward to more.
Argument about the pillow, cutest bromance scene ever
The way Finch delivered his line "Use the cushion" to Reese after he complained of feeling restless, made me think of Obi Wan Kenobi saying "Use the force Luke" to Luke Skywalker.
I have mad love for this show. You hit the high points so I am just going to post drooling fangirl gushing and leave it at that.
This has become easily my favorite show on tv. I find for many shows there are a lot of episodes that I never want to re-watch, not a single episode of Person of Interest has made that list. I constantly talk with people about it. I think they did the most perfect job possible with casting. I can't imagine anyone else as these characters. The writers and produces seem to actually respect the fan base as well which is becoming extremely rare these days.
all the time... some of them even are
This is one of the fewer tv shows after supernatural and fringe that is worth watching.

I am also glad that cbs finally got a good 1 hr show apart from sitcoms which they are famous for.

Michale emerson has always been too intelligent and gets to know bio data of all the person (like in lost)
i wanna know why finch limps, i tought we would see it in this ep
I think they are definitely working up to that with the machine tagging the CEO coming up as a primary threat at the end.
I dont know if the machine is sentient, to me it seems that the interpretation is on the viewers behalf, it could be that the machines actions are interpretated sentient while they are not - playing with this at some deeper level is one of this shows bigger strengths.

Also I am not sure if NATHAN is the threat for the machine and therefore treacherous OR the good trusty patriotic friend of Finch he says he is therefore being in extreme danger of "getting moved from the picture" by the government.

A lot of plausible possibilities - I love this show. Especially concerning the fact I thought it to be dull in the beginning. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ?!
After the cancellation of Human Target, I started watching this show to fill the void it left behind. As it turns out, this show is the perfect combination of action and brilliant writing, coupled with interesting characters. It has blown me away.

Best new show of 2011 after Game Of Thrones. Definitely.
I liked Human Target too.

Just a tip (if you are not already watching) : try out NIKITA .
Great ep. I love when we get some biscuit about the backbone of the story. Even the case-of-the-week was great (as usual) because again, it was uniquely told. We did not know till the last minute that Trask was not a bad guy (even if he was the perpetrator).

That machine is indeed as scary as impressive and the last second of the episode 'coupled with Finch's line about the machine's self-preservation) made me wonder "what if the machine can provoke a crime as well as it can detect it ? May it be responsible for Nathan's death". As you said Tim... it looks more and more like Skynet, the ultimate form of artificial intelligence.
Isn't it more likely that the CIA dude is going to attempt killing Nathan, not the computer? That is why the computer has picked his number? Given the show's love of "bad guy not being the bad guy after all", it is probably just a way of making us think the computer is sentient or something
Nice review. I especially liked the scene with the computer searching for Reese, it almost feels compeled as much as Finch to prevent bad things from happening, Its becoming more and more sentient by the episode.

Nathan's percieved threat might be his line "... are you sure it was (forgot the guy's name)..." implying that he might be trying to find a way of gaining absolute control of the code to sell it off or atleast manipulate it for some obscure gain, maybe take out some of his business competitors
I love love loved the homages to "Rear Window," my favorite Hitchcock flick! I also enjoy seeing Michael Kelly getting a lot of work recently since Criminal Minds:SB got the axe.
good show. glad i stuck with it after the first few episodes being kinda slow.
I almost gave up on the show in the beginning but after episode 6 i was hooked and im glad that i stuck around because this series is had improved alot to being the best series this season, many shows where interesting at the beginning and improved for some episodes and then fell down and i lost interest like Ringer it didnt have a great pilot but it improved over some episodes but then fell down that i wont watch it when it returns.
My first thought was that, since Nathan is dead in the present (I'm not mixing up stories, am I? he's dead, right?), the machine somehow killed him. Anyway, that scene was really creepy.
I really laughed when Reese told Finch how to fight by poking in the eye
Even if he's in a wheelchair or walking on crutches Reese still kicks ass. Am glad that threw Carter into the deep end of the pool as Finch had said just to see what they do on a daily basis. I think Finch's computer can give Skynet a run for its money.
What a great article... this is my most favorite show in years. I don't often get in on a series from the beginning, usually get hooked in the middle somewhere and play catch up. But I was excited for this show from the previews for the premiere. At first I was concerned about it being cancelled, but it seems to be garnering very good buzz and the PCA win has got to be a very good thing for it. I loved how this episode gave us more of Finch and his backstory, and now I'm going to have to go back and watch E2. I am glad that Finch is starting to return Reece's affection for him. Even though I think Reece's feelings for him started more as intrigue and curiousity, they are developing a genuine friendship. The role reversal this week was very fun. Oh, and now I have to watch Rear Window. Several people on GetGlue mentioned the homage.
Beta Skynet... EXACTLY what I thought too!

So, yeah, the Machine can't give its opinion on, say, the Golden Globes nominations, but, if it can feel threatened, then it's aware of your own existence, therefore making it sentient...

I'm telling you, BETA SKYNET!!!

However, as much as a threat to the Machine Nathan may have been, I doubt Finch would have done anything to harm his PARTNER (seriously, Tim, where did you get that Nathan was Finch's boss? Does Finch strike you as someone who would work for ANYBODY?) Remember episode 2 - both of them had genuine affection toward each other, and it was pretty clear that Finch still miss him. If anything , if I have to put money on who's responsible for Nathan's death and Finch's limp, I would laid it all on that shady NSA guy - he's obviously the prime suspect here.

Oh, and my friends who aren't watching "Person of Interest" aren't my friends anymore, so...
I think the creators have plotted this down to the minutest of detail and we're supposed to be in the dark at this time. I can certainly see valid points in both sides of the "Nathan threat" argument. We also have to remember that at the end _Ghosts_ Finch tells Reese that trust isn't easy for him to give and we see the bust of Nathan, "The Founder" who died 2010. That could fall into the time-frame given in _Cura Te Ipsum_ for Finch's spinal fusion.

As for the machine being beta-Skynet... maybe. Couldn't John Reese be named after John Connor and Kyle Reese???
Bam! This show is awesome. Also, since I can: Points to ME for noticing the yellow boxes earlier!!! Clearly it's part of the overarching computer story as it learns more and more. Such a great show. And I think that the computer IS sensing Nathan as a threat.... somehow. I love the idea that the computer is "sentient". For those out there who would say that it requires an AI on the level of pre-Matrix computers or Skynet, I disagree.

It sees terrorist threats (also, murders, but whatever). Also, at some point, it would have to "assess" itself. Assuming that it's assessed itself as a "good" thing that prevents terrorist plots, it's then just a simple calculation of whether or not the thing/person that's a threat to the computer is more or less of a threat to terrorism. Thus, the computer could easily rationalize any given person as a "risk" if it threatens the computer as the computer does more for the prevention of terrorism than any one man.

Love this show. Cannot wait for more.
glad someone else noticed too but Finchs and Ingram`s squares were yellow even in 2005.

what i find super cool was Carte`s number`s square (the jobless man) that in the middle of the episode, when the bank guy passed by him, instantly turned white /red and it kept being red until the threat was averted. it was so weird as if the machine knew that that was the moment the guy decided to actually follow and kill the bank guy
This show is the coolest! So much hidden in the dialogue, and just have to love the characters! Love the subtle humor!!!
I'm really liking the direction the writers have been taking this season towards, shortly before the mid-season finale and in this episode. While still leaving a lot of details up in the air, we've gotten a nice starting point for the development of Reese, Finch, and as you said, the computer. I'm liking the addition of the CIA agents as a threat, to mix up the dynamics, and helping to push Carter towards hesitantly trusting Reese and Finch. The Finch/computer flashbacks were interesting. I hope to see more about that history in future episodes. And I have to say, I like the reversal of roles in this episode, having Finch out in the field again, and Reese being the information guy, though still kicking ass when he needed to. So, overall a nice return, and makes me excited to see where they take things from here.
Superb episode. The story, the details, the characters... Simply brilliant.
I'm sorry Nathan is evil. That actor pretty much always IS. His big speech about how people like "that" (nsa dude) shouldnt have access to the machine, he is going to turn out to BE people like "that". Hence the machine is all up in his face already. You know he will will try to pull one over on Finch and the machine and will get iced because of it.
I tend to suspect the same though I think the actor was kind of a non malevolent character in Lost? In fact it was the Michael Emerson character Ben Linus that got him killed...
Tim, I agree with you.

Awesome show. I was pleased someone else made the connection to the similarites to the movie Rear Window.

I look forward to each episode to see how they develop Finch and Reese's backstory as we find out tidbits of their past. The trust between the main characters is slowly developing. Finch and Reese are showing some camaraderie, checking out the girl doing yoga and mildly joking with each other. The machine having feelings......I doubt it. I think it analyzes voice pitch and word choice along with all the other data it compiles to determine who is a threat. Week to week this show does not disappoint!!
This is an awesome series and I totally agree with you. One of the best scenes in "Super" starts when Carter answers the pay phone and Finch is on the other end. The description of the guy at the bar Finch gives to Carter, and the subsequent information he gives her (and the way he gives it), sent chills up my spine. I hope this series is around for a good long time.
Tim, I completely agree with you. Show got better and better and I think will keep a solid fan base from now on.

Let me also emphasize the importance of side characters and guest stars. This week's target, the "super", was a more than average character superbly portrayed by our beloved sergeant Batista of Dexter. Kudos to David Zayas.

As I twit so often these days, Michael Emerson is an incredible actor giving life to Finch. But what can you expect? He is the man who stole the heart of Carrie Preston!
Also the little nod to Dexter when he said he was from Florida.
Terrific episode! The case definitely got interesting around the middle of the episode, and the fact that Finch freelanced this one without the computer made it stick out a little more, even though I absolutely love the numbers game; and of course, Reese kicking butt in crutches! Awesome! I must say, though, that the NSA director was right about the computer being more sentient is a scary idea. I mean, it lableled him a threat from a gas station receipt!! Man, I love this show!
yummy, yummy, yummy loved this episode.

This is a clever show and I'm wandering if the machine has a masterplan (no! not to take over the world.) but by choosing to save these people setting in motion something that will lead to or prevent some major terror threat. It can detect minute details in 2005. Now in 2012 it might be able to predict events beyond say a couple of months and see something really bad coming.
Awesome ep! the case was more or less interesting but mainly because of how Reese & Finch's roles swapped because of Reese's condition and the overriding themes of surveillance and such are intelligently explored... The writing is much better than in many other procedurals around - So I am betting on a second season of PoI
I don't know how to say it in any other way, but this show just makes me happy. Reese kicking ass like a hybrid between Jean-Claude Van Damme and the Terminator is just so entertaining. And the predictability plays a part in this. You never have to worry that Reese loses in close combat, or that he even gets injured (severely). The only thing that seems to be too quick for him are bullets. Every time a fight scene stars you know that he is about to open a family size can of of Whoop Ass, so just lean back and enjoy the show. When he threw the guy out of the window at the end, I literally laughed out loud for three seconds until I realized that someone getting life-threatening injuries is not really a laughing matter.
Nathan was seen as a "threat to the system", as was the NSA Deputy Director.

They're not "Persons of Interest" in that they'll be involved in violent crimes, but the computer recognizes that they could pose a potential threat to itself.

The computer isn't sentient though. It just sees that the patterns of behavior exhibited by those men conflict with its programmed mission statement, so to speak.
I agree with all the notes and comments. Totally love this show and I admit to being really afraid of it being cancelled. Two things -

1. Finch's character is usually mechanical...almost robotic. Yet, he's been shown in the last two episodes to have a warm, caring side....even if it's demonstrated in a mechanical....almost robotic kind of way.

2. If Carter comes on board and starts working with Reese and Finch, what about Fusco's character? He seems disposable at this point.
I don't see Carter obtaining police records or doing the illegal stuff that Fusco does. In fact, she would have a big problem with Fusco if she knew. She is more likely to follow up on leads they feed her. So the two characters have different valuable roles to play.
I am geeking out with you over this computer! I absolutely love it so much. As the case of the week didn't start until we were a little underway in the episode, I startled to find I hadn't even thought of the person they were going to protect by getting the number. Just watching Finch and Reese in action together with the computer is good enough for me. It is s beta SkyNet. When I watched the Terminator movies, the sentient computer thing was never explored to my satisfaction and t's as if little me is jumping up and down inside myself yelling "yeah! yeah!" now that it is.

- Michael Kelly is indeed really good as the CIA guy. Usually I don't care for people being chased when they are doing the right job, but he makes it fun to watch. Also, it's not as if he's cool enough to catch Reese when he's such a straight up CIA guy.

- The hammer indeed had me laughing out loud. Also: "Should have used the cushion" did it for me.

- I love this show

- I reaaaally love this show

- I made my brother love this show too ;)
Load More Comments