Person of Interest: Let's Rip Open Some Old Wounds, Shall We?

Person of Interest S01E21: "Many Happy Returns"

I'm still waiting for someone from CBS to jump out and say, "Surprise! Person of Interest, a story about moral ambiguity, loss, and deep, dark places, isn't actually on CBS! We hypnotize your TV into thinking it's CBS but secretly we're actually airing a series about a Navy shipman who kills terrorists with the American flag!" Because Person of Interest IS taking us to deep, dark places that would leave Leroy Jethro Gibbs crying in the corner.

Last night's excellent "Many Happy Returns" brought us to the rotten core of John Reese, television's most mysterious leg-shootin' vigilante, and I'm not sure it's a return trip I'd like to make because I was barely able not to vomit after that roller coaster of emotions. One fantastic choice Person of Interest has made in its first season (and I'm saying this with two episodes left so who knows what's coming) is to put so much into uncovering who Reese is as a person and what got him to where he is today. The series could just as easily have focused on the Machine and Elias or some gigantic conspiracy, and at times it has, but the strongest episodes so far have been the ones that cracked open a can of Reese to reveal what makes him tick. And what's inside is a lot of anger, guilt, and emptiness.

Things didn't start out all sad this week, though (nor did they end that way), as it was Reese's birthday. What do you get a guy like Reese for his birthday? Another suit? A custom engraved gas mask? A mannequin leg to use as target practice? Finch got him a key and told him to take the day off... it was his birthday! Yipee! And there was no number because for the first time in the history of history, New York City was as peaceful as a little lamb.

Except that wasn't totally true. Finch did have a number, but as we would find out through a series of flashbacks and obviousness, it was a case that hit very close to home for Reese. A young (hot) woman named Karen became a fugitive when her husband got violent with her. What's the big deal there? Well, the husband happened to be a U.S. Marshal, and not one of those handsome bourbon-drinkin' complicated types. This guy was just bad news. Simultaneously, via revealing flashbacks, we found out that Reese's ex-flame Jessica was dead (how horribly painful was the scene where Reese found out? My heart is still crying), killed by the man who took over the side of the bed that Reese left when he realized they couldn't be together. He couldn't say "wait for me" to her face, so she didn't.

But Reese couldn't be kept away from helping out with the new case because he had already gone to Ben & Jerry's and gotten his free birthday scoop (I assume), so what else was he going to do for the rest of the day? Reese saw an opportunity to relieve some of the guilt he felt over failing to be there for Jessica, but it couldn't happen without opening some old wounds that were barely taped close.

Fortunately for Reese, he's an enormous badass. We flipped back and forth between a flashback of Reese stalking Jessica's husband after he killed her and covered it up and Reese stalking the U.S. Marshal who'd had taken Karen into custody and driven her up Highway 187 to kill her off. In the flashback, it was insinuated that Reese did kill Jessica's husband, though it was never shown. This is Person of Interest, so what we think we know is usually wrong, and early on we were led to believe that Reese killed the husband. But this time, what we thought we knew was right (I think), and I'm glad Person of Interest went there because Reese needed it so badly. And that's when things got even more interesting. In the present day, Reese shipped the Marshal off to a prison to rot away.

We figured Reese would take out the trash and execute the Marshal, but he didn't. I know sending a guy to a foreign prison isn't exactly a fruit basket, but given how vengeful and pissed off Reese was for the entire episode, I'd say Reese showed a lot of restraint and growth. At the end of the episode, he also found out what the key was for: a brand-new, super swank pad, courtesy of Finch. How adorable is that? This is as close to closure and a new start as Reese has gotten, and one of the best season-long character arcs I've seen all year.

And at the very end of the episode, we learned that Finch first saw Reese immediately after Reese learned of Jessica's death. Finch had seen Jessica's number come up repeatedly, but was unable to do anything about it because it was before the two started working together. Wow. Hauntingly beautiful.

"Many Happy Returns" was one of Person of Interest's best episodes and continued the series' fascinating exploration into the psyche of a vigilante hero while proving that this show is a whole lot more than two weirdos cleaning up the streets of New York. But it's okay when it's that, too.

Notes of Interest

– More great work from Jim Caviezel, who is so gosh-darned perfect as John Reese I can't imagine anyone else in the role. Ditto for Michael Emerson. When you find actors irreplaceable, that's a sign that they're doing something right.

– Carter really stepped up in destroying evidence of Reese's past and allowing Reese to finish off what he had to do, even if it meant Reese taking a man out to the woods to execute him. Fortunately, Reese did her good.

– I loved Finch saying that's why he didn't tell Reese about the case and Reese saying that's exactly why he should have told him about the case.

– I don't know what Reese was thinking going into a U.S. Marshal's office and beating up everyone in sight, but I'm glad he did it!

– What a very Terrence Malick opening! Speaking of TM, if you haven't seen Jim Caviezel in Malick's The Thin Red Line, carve out three hours and do it. Fantastic film, and Caviezel is great in it.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

The ending, where it turned out that it was Harold in the wheelchair that Reese bumped into in the hospital, Harold had a picture of all 3 in the file on his lap...what did he SAY? Could not understand it... 2 words?
"I'm so sorry."
So... Where was Reese living before?
great recap...thanks. Wanted so bad to rewind and watch it again, because I couldn't, this is the next best thing. This is a fantastic series and I'm glad for JC. He's an outstanding actor and he;s certainly overdue for a home-run. Just wish they would get him a good hairstylest, when it's too gray and slicked back, it makes him look old. He was HOT!! on the TALK show may 3. Wasn't familier with the other cast members,but have developed a fondness for the fab foursome. love Carter and Fosco and you are right about Emerson and JC being a perfect fit. I can't imagine anyone else playing Finch, love love love him. need I say? this southern girl loves POI.
Anyone catch that the warden's reply to Carter gave a potential resolution to "Cura Te Ipsum" (which not-so-coincidentally was the special rerun episode last weekend)?

He said "one or two" others, answering the unspoken question about Jessica's husband Peter, and providing a possible ending for those who want one for whatever happened to the serial date-rapist.

Of course, leaving the possibility open instead of definite satisfies both camps--those who wanted a resolution to the ending of "Cura" and those who liked the ambiguity the way it was.

Keep on writing, Mr. Nolan--heaven knows the world needs intelligent 21st-century scripts!
The Thin Red Line was perfect and I will always remember Caviezel from that movie. Gret review! I really don't haveanything add except saying I agree with the comments posted here.
It's great how Finch and Reese are starting to grow on each other and its remarkable how the writers come up with these things and leave you with "what just happened" that sometimes you have to watch the episode again to completely understand what they are saying and you must watch out for the little details and clues they throw at you, they leave you with an open mouth and answered questions with more questions.

Hope it's on the air for many season's and the quality doesn't change :) I love this show!
Definitely one the best episodes of Person, if not THE best... right?

Just seeing Jim sitting in the sofa... watching her and speaking to him. Wow, just Wow. To say it with the words of Sascha Baron Cohen: He'd better win a bloody award for this !!

Regards,
As I said in my tweeter feed: "Batman is a pussy compared to Reese"

I think the episode was fantastic!

I'm so waiting for the DVDs to come out!
I read the happy opinions below me, and I agree with them all especially about Finch and John, so I want to say something regarding about Fosco. I LOVE that this show cast a guy who looks the way he does , like a seasoned character actor that plays in the background of shows, and made him part of the main cast. He looks like he came out of comic book, where he would have been the guy helping to rob the bank, and not really in charge. Yet, here he is, and he is so endearing! I feel for him each week when John gets a little abusive or testy with him. So here's to Fosco!!
This is one of the best episodes of Person of Interest ever! I always love Reese's flashbacks, but these were especially good. My favorite line of the episode was at the end when Carter gets the phone call that the Marshal is locked up in foreign hellhole and she, quickly catching on, asks "do you have any other Americans in your prison?" and the man on the phone answers "yes." Price-less. I totally thought Reese was going to go all CIA/FBI/NCIS/Ninja on that Marshal (and Jessica's husband), but I am glad that he didn't. It makes me respect him so much more. The fact of Reese and Finch meeting for the first time in the hospital after Reese found out that Jessica died was so cool. It reminded me of LOST with everyone being connected 7 different ways from Sunday. Makes me excited for what's going to happen next...
"It reminded me of Lost." Yeah, same here. In fact, since I am as big of a Lost fan as I am, and am used to spotting things like that, I actually thought that was Finch the moment John ran into him. But that didn't stop that final scene from having a big emotional impact. I loved the way Finch told John (after he was out of ear shot) that he was sorry about what happened to Jessica. The delivery by Michael Emerson was so good.
Perfect show perfect cast. Brilliant ! And JC, u r the bomb, and it didn't hurt a bit that u played the main man, JC, too on The Passion Of The Christ !
Excellent episode. I love POI. It's on of the reason Thursday are my favorite.
One of your best reviews for this show!!! Love your review and LOVE the show!!! Can't wait and so sad that it's almost end of Season 1! Have a long wait for Season 2!!
I love this show!...it has potentials to be a long running series!
Let's hope it will be for many years to come!!!
one of the best episodes of the season so far!!!! I still can't believe Jessica is dead :( sure, it helps to understand why John is the way he is now, but I would have loved to see a reunion or something :'(
I did not realize that Reese had been off the radar for only 2 years, I thought it was longer. But I guess the loss of his loved one broken him good.

Was I the only one who was shocked where Reese was living (that's an absolute no for our anti-hero), I am glad it was resolved by Finch.
Great review to an excellent episode of Person of Interest, thanks, Tim!

Just a few notes of my own: I wouldn't stop at saying Finch just saw Jessica's number pop up. In the hospital, Finch's dossier did show three pictures, three numbers, Jessica, her new husband and Reese (that's why Finch knows so much about Reese like birthday etc...).

And Who knows how many times Finch saw Reese's number come up? I mean why did he recruit him? Reese is not just the muscle, he is way too complicated and damaged. An attempt to save Reese?
I think the dossier had Peter's and John's pics and info in them b/c Finch was trying to figure out why Jessica's number had been coming up. John would have been considered dead at the time, and in the hospital, Finch found out that a) John was alive and that b) he, out of the two guys in her life, was the one who loved her. Therefore, the other guy was the perp. As Finch told him when John asked, in the present time, if her number had come up, Finch responded that it helped him figure out why some women kept coming up in the Machine--because they were living with the person who was threatening them. It explains so much of why he sought out John from any number of guys to help and why he knew that John would join him. Just a perfect tie-back to the pilot all the way around.
You can't fool the machine, the machine would know that John was still alive. No, I still think that John's number came up because Jessica called him. That call would be on the Machine's radar. His orders to leave the country came later. That's why there were three pics and numbers in Harold's file. They were all involved.

I'd also say that John plays a bigger part than being just involved in one of the early numbers. Who knows, the machine could have pointed Harold in his direction several times. Oh, I love how this show keeps me guessing!
This show must be made of velcro coz its so damn gripping! (Sorry.....)
Don't be. I loved that!LOL!
Didn't Reese look a lot like Jack from Lost when the latter had a beard in the flash forwards? :)
Finch may be suffering from a lot more guilt over John & Jessica than we realize. It may have been the Machine (or Finch) who sent John to China just when he got the terrible call from Jessica, making him too late to save her. In Ep 1, Finch says, "Oh, I've known know a lot about you for a long time." He already knew about John & Jessica when John bumped into him at the hospital in 2010--he had dossiers on both of them in his lap. Maybe Nathan's death was the first the Machine caused due to it's self-preservation programming. I can imagine the horrified Finch scrambling to find out who else the Machine had scheduled to die, that he might not be too late to save them. Well, Finch didn't prevent the rockets from raining down on that Chinese city, but could he have worked behind the scenes get John and his partner back to the US, once he learned that they had both survived? Another question: What do you think John would do if he found out that Finch and/or the Machine were responsible for preventing him from getting to Jessica after that desperate phone call?
i don't think the machine or Finch killed Nathan... we have plenty of evil people in this show to do that. However i think the machine foresaw what was going to happen to Nathan but Finch was not able the save him alone and got hurt in the process. I guess that's when he realized the true importance of those unimportant numbers. it fits Finch's personality more. by the way i'm starting to miss the funny allusions about the machine's intelligence... it hasn't creeped me out in a while
The idea of Mexican prison for these jerks is so much better than death! They get a long time to think about what they did in a less than friendly environment. Taste of their own medicine, if you ask me. Way to go , Reese!!
I love great series like this who have absolutly no idea of how to make a bad episode, and this one you can hang your hat on. The only thing I can complain about is that in a perfect universe it would be on 52 weeks a year, along with The Good Wife and Fringe, and maybe they are in one of Fringe's many. Can't wait for Walter to build that converter box...
It's possible that Reese shipped Jessica's husband off to that prison as well. Remember Carter's question "Are there other Americans there" to the foreign jail warden
I like that kind of shipping! :) Smart move by Mr Reese!!
Even though it was obvious where they were going with the parallels between the flashback and the main case, it was still a very emotionally strong episode. I felt so bad for Reese in the flashback scenes, especially when he found out about Jessica's death, and talking to her husband afterwards. This episode had some classic "badass Reese" moments, such as him going into the police station and kicking Karen's husband's ass, but it's the emotional strength of this episode which really stood out to me. There have been other episodes where you felt sorry for the characters (like when Fusco was told he had to stay with HR, despite wanting to turn his life around), but nothing quite as powerful as this episode.
Something else I wanted to mention... That ending, with Reese getting the apartment was both a very touching moment and subtly hilarious. Touching because it obviously represented how much Finch has started to care about Reese, and was the perfect gift for him (so that he could finally settle down in a place he could call home, and be close to his friend). But then there's the underlying hilarity of the fact that this is a bit TOO perfect. An appartment close to a friend with whom he spends his free time? It's yet another great example of the little game both Reese and Finch are playing with each other, where they try to learn who the other person really is, and then subtly brag about it, this time by giving Reese a present.
Great Episode - top three for the season.
Can I just say, on a very minor note, I wish I could get the kind of service at a bar that Carter gets. She ordered a club soda, the waitress turned away, and POOF, Carter was sipping her drink! Amazing!
As my teenaged son said after the episode, "That was perfect!" Caviezel's acting was superb, and even Henson gets a thumb's up. I love it that Reese is from Washington State. Will Finch be from Iowa, just like Michael Emerson?

BTW, The Thin Red Line is a must for any Caviezel fan. The largely improvised scene in an abandoned house between his character (Pvt. Wit) and Sean Penn's (Sgt. Walsh) is beautiful. (And I won't even mention the words "waterfall" and "underpants" because it was a serious, statement-making war film and I don't want to detract from that.)
One of the best dramas on TV, I just love Finch and Reece's scenes together.
Although everything else in the show is terrific, I do always look forward to the interaction between Reese and Finch the most, the way their relationship develops - it almost looked like Reese was going to punch Finch for lying to him, and then when he ordered him from the car and Finch calls Carter from the library because Reese won't talk to him anymore... great stuff. And the kicker with Finch being the guy at the hospital - so that's how he came to Finch's attention, and that's why Finch feels a bit guilty and protective towards him... but will Reese ever know? It was heartbreaking enough when he asked Finch if he knew in advance that Jessica was a reoccurring number. Love this show.
There are just not enough words to describe how absolutely fantastic this episode was. The nuanced performance of Jim especially...breath taking. It did take you on a rollercoaster ride. I think I had to borrow someone's inhaler afterwards it was just that emotional it practically left me breathless.

I hope Touch paid attention because that is how you show interconnectivity and fate. In the back of my mind when I heard Michael's distinctive voice I knew Finch was the guy that Reese bumped into at the hospital. The confirmation later on was still amazing though. So based on the past two episodes within the year or so before Reese teamed up with Finch he was already exposed to Finch and to The Machine. It went all six degrees of separation in a clever way. Suck it Touch! (ok not really..I actually do like Touch). I also love that they didn't need to show the gruesome murder in order for us to feel the pain and be grossly mesmerized by Reese's vengeance in killing him. I loved that he set on his own path and was relatively unreachable and uncontrollable and yet...he still has grown so much that he didn't do anything to disappoint Finch and/or Carter. They mean more to him than he's letting on. He's holding on to that and it's making him a better person. This could have easily been the finale for this show to me but it wasn't...and I can't pretend to understand what's to happen next but this show. Boy, this show. It has grown so much from the pilot and has become this intricate, enigmatic, beautifully written piece of work that is beyond an action thriller. And I can't think of anyone else playing the roles of Reese and Finch. Not at all.

I appreciate the gut wrenching closure on Jessica. I appreciate the character growth and insight into Reese. I appreciate the deeper bond being established between Reese and Finch. I also appreciate the growth in Carter. She genuinely cares about Reese at this point...enough where she's willing to trust him more and protect him. I was dying to see her give him the photo.
-These two guys are fantastic. For shows these days that amass a cast of like 12 people, these two guys are really showing the depth that can be reached by just two guys doing their stuff.

-Good stuff with Carter. I would still love to see more of her character arc. I think her character can be explored a lot more.

-One of those things where we all feel we know better than the other people involved, and usually end up being wrong.

-That was pretty awesome. But that's not going to help in the future, I fear.

-Never seen it. Might consider it.
Totally agree this episode was perfection. Since its first episode, I have loved this show. This cast is phenomenal and the writing/directing also! I noticed TV Guide consistently has it in the top 5. I sure hope so and I would hate to lose a great show like this one! Hard to believe it's only in its freshman year!

This one's a keeper.
My hubby's favorite show, he calls it smart and edgy followed by Jusitified. One of the best episodes of the series.
I had tears while watching the episode! Seriously WTF!! When I say I love this show as much as Spnl (Kripke's), Lost, Firefly and Fringe, its implied that its in the higher echelons of TV awesomeness!! The show is doing everything right! Exceptionally poignant, morally ambigous, all while delivering high-octane action!! Can't get any better! Even GOT is a tad bit below POI, imo.

PS: Tim, why'd you want to say "young (hot) woman" in the midst of a good review!! It made you seem crass and nothing else! There was no point to that! I hope you restrain yourself in the future and this is coming from a hot-blooded young guy! Seriously, what has Reese and Finch taught you! One has to strive to be better! (And no, I'm not a moral police even after all that since this is the first time I've spoken out about this kind of thing!)
Probably the best episode of one of the strongest Freshman shows on TV. Most episodes are a little too episodic for me to put it in my top 5 shows airing right now (I blame CBS)...but it's either this or ABC's Once Upon A Time for best Freshman show.

For the record I'd put the top 5 as:

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones

Community

Justified

Fringe

Person of Interest has had a strong first season, but it's still not better than any of those...yet
you would be hard pressed to find a better show on TV, ... i was really impressed with how the writers brought Resse's charachter full circle, i'm sure there will be more to add in upcoming episodes. the intrige and suspense really holds you glued to the set, love this show. great acting, great writing, great production quailites, and excellent casting too. i am never bored watching this show, i hope it's on for years to come.
Amazing review. I agree the episode is definitely one of the best episodes of this season, Jim Caviezel make great performance.

" I don't know what Reese was thinking going into a U.S. Marshal's office and beating up everyone in sight, but I'm glad he did it!" me too, Reese badass

How amazing was the fact that the actress playing Karen was Jim's love interest in the Count of Monte Cristo, thats what made the ep great for me. I just love all the throwback references!
This was such a great episode. I love this show so much.... BTW, Carter kept one picture of Reese with Jessica. I think that will come back into play in a bad way before the season ends... I think they might leave us with a major cliffhanger at the end of the season. I'm looking forward to it and dreading it at the same time.
lol i feel the same way... loving and dreading at the same time. After seeing the promo for this episode i was really afraid that Reese will become a killer or something and disrupt the "budding relationship" between the 4 characters (Carter wouldn`t like that for sure and finch`s trust would falter) but it turned out quite ok
Love the show.
I don't know The Thin Red Line, but have you seen Angel Eyes? I like that movie (yeah, it's a J Lo Movie, so what?), and the character Jim Caviezel portrays... well let's just say I remembered the character and then checked it out on imdb and saw that it was actually the same actor portraying Reese and Steve.
I loved "High Crimes", with Morgan Freeman & Ashley Judd; duality at it's best from him.

But by far, "Count of Montecristo" is my fav.
You should also check out "Unknown". It's not that popular but really worth a watch - especially with him as a main character and a very interesting premise.
He was also good in The Count of Monte Cristo and in Frequency.
I'm really hoping we'll get more info on the whole Ingram mystery before the season is done. The way Finch was acting when Ingram's son was asking about his dad's death makes it pretty clear he's hiding something pretty big about it - and he was so relieved when the son decided to leave. It's also pretty clear he feels a great deal of guilt about it.

I'm pretty sure that however he died, it was due to the self-preservation mechanism that's built into the machine, but I have no idea how the machine could essentially "put a hit" on someone, you know? And what role did Finch play? Did he miss Ingram's number? Did the machine not spit out his number because it sensed Ingram was a threat and withheld his info to make sure he wouldn't be protected? There's just so much to learn about that - I'm glad we'll have at least another season to get some of those answers, eh? :D
At this point, I think it's safe for me to say I could watch Jim Caviezel do anything because he's that good. Seriously, I absolutely loved pissed off Reese! And then to find he didn't go all bad-ass but actually stuck the Marshall and Peter in some foreign prison was brilliant. I don't know how the writers keep doing it but they give Reese and Finch such great material week after week. I love this show!
Yeah. It was mos def the best episode. Other two for me when Elias was born and when Root was born) and with a baby it was funny episode. Other episodes were good and I mean for this show good like for other shows is supergreat. It's all coz of characters what else. actors are beyond fine they are great. And I kinda felt that I knew that hot lady Sarah and I was right. It was beautiful Dagmara Dominczyk) i wish she could stay a bit longer in series but It won't happen i guess. and Susan Misner is not comin' back so her character is dead. I always want to see her more in various movies but she never gets full roles. it's a shame. but for PoI it is good. character-wise. Reese can't be happy unfortunately. coz there will be no story
Simply beautiful. There is so much to praise here I don't know where to begin... Caviezel's acting, Harold's care for Reese, the flashbacks, Reese learning of her death, Reese full of emptyness watching videos, Reese with his adorable blind KungFu Master (I guess), Reese throwing a surprise party in the Marshal's office, Reese in his new apartment, Harold's guilt that ultimately led to him taking Reese under contract, Carter destroying the evidence with a smile even though Reese could have murdered him.... Or all the little details like the name on Harold's card, the subtle hint of Peter being in Mexico or them meeting in the end where they started off in the 1st episode (just like the apartment - a symbol for the start of something new?), the key as a symbol of trust.... And I'm sure I missed tons of stuff.
When he opened the little box and saw it was a key,,, for a minute there i thought Finch had asked Reese to move in together....

I wonder who are the other Americans in that prison...
i guess one is peter and the possible two is the sex offender guy from the doctor lady poi episode (i think curate ipsum)... i thought that`s why he said one OR two, because we never knew what happened to that guy so it`s still ambiguous
Just a whoooooooo episode.

My guess at least one of the other american in the Mexican jail is no other than Jessica's husband. The FBI never found his body and the blood left in the house is partly John's as we saw on the opening that he was hurt in the bus when the boy asked if he was allright; He got injured in the fight but he did not kill Peter.Send him to Rot in Hell
The beard seemed more realistic than the pilot. I would like to hear John a little less monotone at times, he could have a few moments when he's not so miserable.

Great show, best actor Lionel
I don't know if anyone noticed this, but that girl (the one playing Sarah) is Caviezel's co-star on The Count of Montecristo! Nice to see them working together again, on tv.

Anyway, awesome episode!

Love the series!
I recognized her too, mainly because of her voice. It was fun seeing them together again playing different characters.
"I don't know what Reese was thinking going into a U.S. Marshal's office and beating up everyone in sight, but I'm glad he did it!"

Well, nobody is safe. Nowhere. Should the president beat up his wife, John would walk into the Oval Office and break POTUS' nose (there would be lots of broken Secret Service noses, too). - That's the message.
i'm still laughing after the image your comment planted in my mind....i don't know what would be funnier, seeing Reese break into the White House or watching Finch's reaction....i personally think Finch would be in the corner whimpering... with Carter throwing up her hands and Fusco laughing his behind off....lol priceless
Love PoI more each and every week. I got so caught up in the emotion this week, it didn't even cross my mind that the man Reese ran into in the hospital was Finch until they revisited the scene and revealed it. Also, Carter not shredding the photograph? My friend and I were yelling at her not to do it and cheered when she slipped it in her pocket. It was a great episode and very rewarding both to the characters and the viewers, I believe.
Reese is not the heroe New York City deserves, he's the heroe New York City needs.
Hey I think the husband is in the prison too along with the guy who Reese had that conversation with at the table. You know the one where he was asking the guy whether he should kill him or not. That guy might be there too. Benton thats his name from episode 4 Cura Te Ipsum.
I agree with this. Carter asked if there were other Americans in the prison and the warden confirmed. I believe that means that rather than kill the truly badies, Reese ships them off to rot the rest of their years away (and maybe think about what they've done).
Given the reputation that prisons such as the one depicted have - at least in Hollywood's version of the world - I think sending them there is far more of a punishment than outright killing them. Much like his tendency to shoot people in the leg whenever practical, the prison gambit lets him stop the bad guy from doing more harm, while still keeping his conscious clean enough that he should be able to look at himself in the mirror and know he's not just a mindless killing machine. I definitely got the feeling that at least Jessica's husband (if not a couple others) are in the same prison.
Did anyone else recognize this week's guest star Dagmara Dominczyk as James Caviezel's costar from The Count of Monte Cristo?
Load More Comments