Person of Interest Loosens Its Tie

Person of Interest is only two episodes old, so let's not get too excited or disappointed by the show's inconsistent quality so far. After a pilot that introduced us to America's new badass and delivered a surprising amount of action, Thursday's "Ghost" essentially served as a second pilot, and gave us a better idea of what to expect from the series. The lesson it taught me is that I shouldn't expect awesome guns and insane action every week, but I can look forward to some unexpected humor and flashbacks that slowly explain the mysteries of our two central characters. Oh, and one more thing: Person of Interest, despite what creator Jonathan Nolan told me, is very much a procedural.

The person-of-interest-of-the-week in "Ghost" was a teen girl named Theresa who was assumed dead after her father took his family on a vacation... TO DEATH! It was later revealed that the family was murdered by a hitman, hired by some real estate jerks and the father's business partner to force them part ways with a tract of land that's now worth millions of dollars. But the girl was spared because the assassin "don't do kids." She'd been in hiding for two years, but because she was the sole heir, Johnny Real Estate wanted her dead so the land would eventually end up in his hands. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what happened; it was all slightly complicated and procedural stories tend to make my ADD kick in. Reese and Finch ended up taking care of business and the girl was saved and everyone went home happy—except for all the people Reese beat up along the way.

That's all fine and dandy, but in terms of a case-of-the-week, it never really grabbed me. Shady real estate deals don't get my blood pumping, and I noticed a few plot holes here and there. More importantly, I didn't see how the case connected thematically to our heroes. That's what separates good procedurals from bad procedurals. Good procedurals make sure their cases tie in to everything else in a poetic way (watch tonight's Fringe for a fantastic example). Bad procedurals just let the good guys catch the bad guys. There are way too many smart people involved in Person of Interest to make me think it will end up in the bad category, so I'll give the cases a few more tries before I start ignoring them completely to get to the tasty center of the show.

And in that tasty center is an action series that undid the top button of its shirt somewhere between the pilot and the second episode. The reveal of Mr. Finch working as a cubicle monkey in his own company was pretty hilarious, and it made a big impact because it was so unexpected. Reese, meanwhile, dropped some action-hero one-liners with a smirk, showing there's a softer side to our calculated killer of people's ability to walk without limping.

That's a tone that I hope Person of Interest maintains. A little levity goes a long way in a series like this, one that relies on us believing that a billionaire would partner with an ex-CIA killer and use government-grade Google Maps to find people in trouble. But it has to be done with the right amount of delicacy. Person of Interest is also a serious look at the effect of information technology has on the real world, and making things too much of a hoot could dilute some of that bite. If the show can continue to walk that line as it did in "Ghost," it should be fine.

Detective Carter (Taraji P. Henson) got a promotion in importance in the episode as well, and now it's clear that she's about to enter an incredibly complex relationship with Reese (and consequently, Finch). She wants to catch them, but she's not even sure what they've done. And because he delivered Theresa to the authorities, Carter now knows that Reese isn't a bad guy. Her participation in the show still seems detached, and it's hard to think of her as anything other than a third wheel at the moment. But this is a cat-and-mouse game that's just beginning, and, like the cases-of-the-week, I expect the Carter storyline to get very interesting very quickly.

To me, the most interesting part of this show, besides watching Reese do a walking-and-punching-and-shooting tour of the Big Apple, are the characters' mysterious pasts. "Ghost" gave us a peek at Finch's backstory in 2002 and 2007, and BAM! Lost reunion! Turns out Finch's old boss is Goodwin (Bret Cullen), who was the first person to wonder why nobody was doing anything to help the people identified by Finch's computer program as "in danger." And the final scene showed a bronze bust of his head in the lobby of Finch's building, memorializing his death in 2010. How did he die? What happened to his relationship with Finch? Did Finch kill him by pushing him off the top of the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island? Who knows!

The second episode of Person of Interest gave us a new look at the series and brought in some elements I really appreciated (more humor) and some I didn't (a stale case of the week). But nothing happened to thwart the potential of the series, so consider this person still... interested. (Feel free to *groan* in the comments section for that one. I deserve it.)

Notes... of Interest!
– Building tension on television can be done in many different ways. Breaking Bad, TV's current leader of getting us to grind our teeth, likes to use gorgeous shots and phone calls. Person of Interest loves elevators.

– A few shots of Reese walking into a place (building or elevator), kicking butt and shooting people, and emerging unscathed without ever showing us what actually happened inside is cool. But three times in the first two episodes is a bit much.

– I'm really hoping that Reese wears the ski mask more often when he's doing Reese things. It really ups his badass quotient and vigilante coolness. Plus it can get pretty chilly in New York.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Oct 22, 2011
What caught me immediately was that during the flashbacks (aka Lost reunion) Finch has no limp. Back to the present... he walks funny! Did the death of his boss/partner (aka Goodwin) have something to do with it? Was he shot in the leg by Reese in a previous life?

I want to know about that limp.
Oct 05, 2011
The episode was better than the first but i still think it needs some work but it has potential so im gonna tune in to episode 3 and see what happens and if it continues to improve it will be a great show. The thing that the show lacks is the story i still think there is no main story only helping people. I would love to see more flashbacks because the flashbacks in this episode was awesome.
Oct 04, 2011
I like this show and the actors/characters, i do miss human target and their lightheartedness.

I hope this stays around
Oct 04, 2011
This is my favorite new show so far. I am looking forward to seeing the back story unravel. I imagine that Mr. Finch's limp, his partner's death and the list all come together in some life-changing way for Finch before the end of the season.
Oct 04, 2011
I'm enjoying the show (and I DO miss Human Target).

(*** spoiler ***)

I agree that you had to pay real close attention to notice the flashbacks.

It was clear to me that Goodwin was the VISIBLE partner, not the boss. He mentioned the arrangement when he came in with yet another award.

It was also clear to me that Goodwin died because Finch ignored the non-relevant information the computer uncovered and it resulted in Goodwin's death, which is what spurred Finch to start looking for someone who could help avoid that happening again. Possibly whatever killed Goodwin permanently injured Finch's back, causing the limp and inability to turn his neck.

Seems extremely silly to have Finch working a day job -- too limiting. He needs freedom to move about and to scheme. Can't do that when you're expected to be in a cubicle 9 to 5 5 days a week.

Also, does Finch only need body guards when interacting with Reese? They don't seem to be very consistent. Does the guy need protecting or not.

I understand that Reese is "better" now that he has a purpose, but I agree it was an awfully quick resolution and the show would be better served if they kept the inner turmoil and only slowly had him heal, completely.
Oct 04, 2011
Ah, I wrote my comment above before I read your complete post. I think we are in agreement with how the back story will probably play out.
Oct 04, 2011
Luv this show, please do not take off the air
Oct 03, 2011
the show is quite good and satisfactory as it is now: a procedural with two mystical leads.. those two and their backstories will be the serialized theme of this show while they solve other crimes before they happen.. this is what they promised the viewers in the very first episode.. nothing more, nothing less.. so I truly cannot get why people keep whining about how it would be better if there was a terrorist plot, a full serialized backstory, this or that.. obviously it never meant to be as such, and there are many other alternatives for those who are looking for serialized terror/conspiracy plots (try prime suspect for example).. and for the character development, give the guys a break, it has been only two episodes..
Oct 03, 2011
I LOVE Person of Interest, the characters are very intriguing and the actors real good. The storyline reminds me of Batman, which I like very much.

I read somewhere on TV.com that Game of Thrones is one of the best shows ever, that taught me to be very careful about what you publish as I found Game of Thrones obscene, filthy, obvious, boring, and with meaningless storylines. Something that shouldn't be on TV.
Oct 03, 2011
While not as good as the pilot I still found it moderately entertaining
Oct 03, 2011
I agree with the overall idea of this story as I was a little disappointed with the second episode and want much more conspiracy and puppet master type stuff maybe even eventually the unvieling of governments using the information to control corporations and wars and leaders and such. The case to case part weakens the idea so lets hope it gets away from that, I can watch Unforgettable or CSI or The Mentalist for that style of show. This show needs to have swagger like Mad Men and intrigue like Rubicon.
Oct 03, 2011
Why do these shows even bother to start off as one man/two men fighting against the large forces of evil? It's inevitable that at some stage it will become a group of people, hopefully evenly split male/female, all with different attributes and/or skills fighting against the large forces of evil. I suppose this way there is increased character development as the show progresses, but it also means there is less at the begining of the show. Considering this is a procedural (despite what anyone says), which means no substatial plot progression from week to week (I suspect), we need the character development to stay interested. I like the concept of the show and the actors that are currently in it, so I hope it succeeds, but I can't help feeling that it needs something more.
Oct 02, 2011
He really should wear the ski mask more often when he's kickin ass!!!!!!!!
Oct 02, 2011
What happened to the "broken man trying to find a purpose/life again" that we liked last week? Now he's a "Generic Hero Tough Guy?" (Beating people up - check; dark clothes only - check; smug look just because - check; Arnie-style one-liners - check. Still on the list: black duster or trenchcoat, temporary bond with someone else's child that he just saved because no one else could, powerful and sophisticated women who can't get him out of her head after ? years.) Or maybe next week he'll be a concerned dad trying to make a difference because he just cares TOO much.
Oct 02, 2011
I like this show and I like the actors a lot!

I think it will develop over time into a very cool show!
Oct 02, 2011
I loved this episode, it had enough action and humorous scenes and it delighted me with Finch's backstory.
Oct 02, 2011
disaapointed by 2nd episode, instead of getting more intersting it became duller, please dont compare it with lost! only show that has the potential to comewhere anywhere lost for now is terra nova - its is not even close but it has potential!. expected better from nolan and abrams(u created lost man what happened to you?) this show, well nolan u got three more episodes or u are done.
Oct 02, 2011
With all due respect, please, we cannot define what a show "is" after only 2 episodes...

Look at "Fringe"! Watch back the first 2 episodes.
Oct 02, 2011
Swinglabacase, you are absolutely right about Fringe and POI. I can't stand when people deem an entire series, one season or many to be crap from an episode or two. Arjuna you are completely wrong. Tell me where in the Fringe Pilot did it introduce us to the alt universes? our "twins", the death of our Peter and the theft of theirs? The fact that Walter was the thief and because of that he became the destroyer of worlds? Answer: NOWHERE. Here is how Fringe started, the intro of the characters one in particular, Olivia, finding out about several new techs, most of made by Walter with the best intentions, but is being used by persons unknown for their own sinister purposes. This which affected the early stand alone episodes. POI has "the machine". New tech introduced to Reese, Made by Finch with the best intentions, also being used by persons unknown to their own purposes, which gives it's show the stand alone procedural of the week. one character finding about the machine created by "Finch" Fringe had the "Pattern" Slightly explained which gave the stand alone procedural. For the majority of the first season of Fringe we were led to believe "The Pattern" was a group of people misusing Walter's technology for their own purposes as mentioned. POI has told us that "The Machine", Tech made by Finch is also being misused by a unknown group for their own purposes. The majority of Fringe S1 dealt with the Pattern misuse with stand alone episodes only slightly serialized. Not until the end of S1 did we find out the Pattern was merely the beginning and then the multi universe arc started up to the present. So I say that POI's "The Machine" is that shows "The Pattern" most of the season will be stand alone slightly serialized and then like Fringe at the end of this season we will find out that the Machine like Fringe was only the beginning. Oh yeah Arjuna you say you define POI for what it is and not what it will become. But you see that is how TV shows work, they start with what they are at first it's called a PREMISE. What shows don't do is start with THE ENDING. But I guess you want to watch shows that gives you all the answers from their final seasons in the first few episodes. You might as well wait to the end of this year and watch the last few episodes and finales because you obviously can't be bothered with the beginnings. And buy a new book and read the last chapter while you are at it.
More +
Oct 02, 2011
disaapointed by 2nd episode, instead of getting more intersting it became duller, please dont compare it with lost! only show that has the potential to comewhere anywhere lost for now is terra nova - its is not even close but it has potential!. expected better from nolan and abrams(u created lost man what happened to you?) this show, i gave fringe 9 eps and left it after that.well nolan u got three more episodes or u are done.
Oct 02, 2011
I am very familiar with Fringe. The difference with Fringe is that its fringe science spin was very much rooted in the core of the story AND rooted into each procedural story AND rooted into the underlying story arch, which was all made privy to us in the pilot as "The Pattern." This is simply not happening on "Person's of Interest," there is a definite gap between supercomputer and the missions, and there is no connection whatsoever to the bad guys of the week and the premise of the show. This is why the show is failing in my eyes, and often times a show lives or dies in its first few episodes. Fringe lived, and it was because of the previous stated elements that we are treated to its great multi-verse premise today.
Oct 02, 2011
With all due respect, I am defining a show on what it IS, you are defining a show on what it MAY become. That's all well good, except for the fact that this future state of potential greatness is tethered to what viewers think of it RIGHT NOW, which is largely what the masses consider if they decide to watch an hour of television.
Oct 02, 2011
i would rather watch the much better canceld human target same style much more fun 'i dont get it

Oct 02, 2011
Same style ? Well, Human target was way less "serious" as there was a lot of comedy moments. It was one hundred percent action (with comedy) whereas POI is clearly trying to add a deep sense into its mythology (even though we miss it right now because it's only the second episode).

But I regret HT as well :(
Oct 02, 2011
The show would be much better if the computer spit out archaic clues about a terrorist attack, and an entire season was based about one terrorist plot. Each episode gave one clue of sorts that they would follow, which could satisfy the procedural aspect. There would be a large task force instead of two people, therefore there would be more season-regular characters, because a cast of two people isn't enough to write a dynamic story, imo. Moreover, having a season long terrorist hunt would introduce terrorist guest stars, and we could learn why and how they do the things they do. That would be cool too, seeing through the eyes of a terrorist. Maybe the terrorist succeed in the first season and the task force would grow larger, possibly growing too big and too powerful, adding to the whole "shadow government" aspect of this show. Having the terrorist succeed the first season would also create a larger mufti-season story arc. This is the story Nolan should have wrote, instead we get this lame-ass procedural BS saving ordinary people no one cares about.
Oct 02, 2011
Sorry, but his is not defining a show for what it IS...
Oct 02, 2011
Do a little more reading and a little less trolling and you'd see the very last line of my above post as my current definition for the show.
Oct 02, 2011
ok. You're right. I don't care anyway... I like the show, you don't. That's fine by me.
Oct 02, 2011
So you're saying that Nolan should have cloned "24"?

The X Files ran 9 years with a procedural/serialized series... With also a movie... (to explain and tie up the loose ends, because Carter, unlike Abrams, cares about his viewers.)
Oct 02, 2011
This argument doesn't make sense to me because without the patriot act spin this show is just a "good guy catching the bad guy" clone. So yes a 24 hour clone but with a mystery computer giving you the information that could have a mind of it own: maybe it gives the right information, or maybe it doesn't. Maybe it helps national security, or perhaps it could not
Oct 02, 2011
You realize you're basically writing your own screenplay at this point -_- Your comments have little to do with Person of Interest and you're wishing it was a completely different show than what it is. I personally like this show and I think you're just not giving it a fair shake at all because you really want to be watching 24 or Homeland right now instead...
Oct 02, 2011
of course it's still a procedural and it will stay that way. This is CBS that's what they like. They are going to kill blue bloods by making that a procedural too.

Oct 02, 2011
A straight-up procedural doesn't even deserve TV.com's man-power writing a recapaview, Especially a lousy one.
Oct 01, 2011
I thought the flashbacks were a bit confusing since they just cut to them suddenly. It was only because Mr. Finch didn't limp that indicated it could be a flashback. Although the bust at the end did suggest the reason for not deleting the list. I suspect we'll get some story in the future that explains it further.

It must also be a pretty big company if the boss can hide within it like that. That's something more common with major companies like GM which have multiple branches and outlets. But who in their companies doesn't know what Bill Gates or Steve Jobs looks like?
Oct 01, 2011
The flashbacks were introduced with the patchwork of surveillance camera sreens and years were passing at the bottom of the screen. For the first one for example, the year 2002 stays on the screen for fifteen seconds : if you didn't understand that it was a flashback then the only remaining thing to do is having a voice saying "Beware viewer! This is a flashback of the year ****". Not very subtle -__-

And about the hiding thing, it's clearly stated in the first flashback that the other dude was the public face. No one knows that they were two partners.
Oct 01, 2011
not plugging sixty minutes, it does exist, but is there someone taking care of the other list
Oct 01, 2011
I liked it. I'm quite surprised Tim that you did not make the connection between the title of the episode and the main plot; With that last picture of the episode, we understand that Finch's former collaborator is dead and therefore those flashbacks were like his "ghost" haunting Finch. So i'd say that both the case-of-the-week and the main plot development were about mysterious past and, who knows, maybe Finch's collaborator is not dead whereas everybody thinks he is (just like theresa). So Tim, I think this show will definitely be a good procedural according to your definition of it. But as we'll probably have 20+ episodes, I think the mystery will reveal itself slowly.
Oct 02, 2011
And also interesting along what you're saying is: aren't both Finch and Reese believed to be dead? and... coincidentally... they investigate a girl who is suppose to be dead? Everything is connected. Jonah is setting the core of the show. Next episode he'll probably set Hanson's character and we shall learn more about the Machine, which is a character by itself as Jonah mentioned in the interview.
Oct 02, 2011
I'm not sure of that (both believed to be dead). Maybe I missed that in the pilot.
Oct 02, 2011
Finch: "You don't owe me anything Mr. Reese. That's the name you prefer isn't it? I know you had several. Don't worry I'm not gonna tell anybody about you."

"I know exactly everything about you Mr. Reese. I know about the work you used to do for the government. I know about the doubts you came to have about that work. I know that the government, along with everybody else, thinks you're dead."

Later, near the end, on the park bench:

Finch: "We have more in common than you might think. The World thinks that we're both dead, for starters."
To Im_right_aint_i :

There's something there that I admit is kind of contradictory. There was no mention in the file that he was supposed to be dead. And what name is on the file? Reese? Or one of his other aliases? Or his real name? I think, we'll see more of the lady cop in the next weeks and how she will deal with him.
Oct 02, 2011
Thanks ^_^ ! But did the cop lady figure out that Reese is supposed to be dead ? She ran his fingerprints and saw those redacted files but I can't recall her stumble into this key information. Shush, i did not pay much attention when watching the pilot obviously. (To my defense, that cop lady is sightly under-exposed)
Oct 01, 2011
Loved the pilot, the second episode was a bit too procedural and I feel that's the way the show is going. There is something there though, something that's gonna keep me tuning in. Hate procedurals usually but I'll make an exception for this one. Caveziel and Emerson are just too good to pass up.
Oct 02, 2011
The serialized part takes a long time to install. Look how people complained about "Breaking Bad" being too slow at the beginning of the season. Only two episodes and already a good part of the core is set: how does the Machine decides who to flag? What data does it use? Is the Machine watching Reese and Finch? Is it some kind of A.I. that will go after them eventually? Why was Reese hiding? Why was Finch hiding? (They are both believed to be dead). How did his partner die? Was he murdered? By Finch? Some shadow entity? Why is Finch limping now? Why Finch doesn't like that Reese is poking around when he knows so much himself about Reese? What will Reese found about Finch? Can the Machine make a mistake and someone will wrongfully get killed? O yes, the core is there for the serialized part.
Oct 02, 2011
True but lets take Blue Bloods as an example. First season had this whole thing about the blue templar storyline. So each episode was procedural and then like literally the last 30-60secs they throw something about the blue templar in and even leaving it out completely in most episodes. Breaking Bad was always about a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with cancer, starting to cook meth, they never but that on the back burner. POI is at least spending a bit more time on the bigger picture though and it is only 2 eps in so who knows what future eps hold? But it does look like they are going to go a bit heavy on the procedural part. But like I said, I will keep watching Person of Interest, as I'm a sucker for vengeance stories and the two actors are great together. They need to make it a bit more grittier though.
Oct 02, 2011
I see it more like The X Files: mainly procedural with a serialized background. But I may be wrong,,, We will need a few more episodes to really feel the beat of it. But, with Nolan and Abrams, they might be many twists along the way.
Oct 01, 2011
I liked the 2nd episode too, but I don't like the slow build of characters... It drives people away from the show and the network axe might get to it

Oct 01, 2011
Not in a million years would I have believed that I would like a show like this one. A macho, quite one-dimensional, stone-faced punisher who kicks ass? I thought that was a thing from the 80's. But honestly, I have enjoyed it, and it's precisely because they don't even try to be subtle about it. It's a welcome change to all the multifaceted male characters seen over the recent years. Reese in Person of Interest is such a campy character that I can actually watch the show with a smile on my face without taking it too seriously.

Like when he drove the truck into the bad-guys car, stepped out of the truck and went "you have to watch out where you're driving". In most other series that scene would have warranted a facepalm. But now it was just funny. Or the scene in the pilot where he pulled out a massive gun in the middle of the street and shot a gas grenade into the approaching car? Ridiculous, but hilarious. Whoever he fights, he wins. Whenever there are problems, he makes it on time to solve them.
Oct 02, 2011
Actually, the hit man beat him in the fight in the laundromat. I like that Reese has been showing bruises after his fights and he's capable but not invulnerable.
Oct 01, 2011
All tastes are in nature! Me, I think this show is going to be a "Monster"! They have to explain a few bits and establish every major characters well before they get into the serialized part and when it kicks in, I believe we'll be in for a hell of a ride. The premise gives way to so many story lines. (Which is not necessarily good with Abrams around who tends to get "lost" along the way and drop everything half-baked.) If Jonah has enough grip on the show it could be the next big TV hit la "The X Files". Tho the action scenes are fun, I also like when it's slightly different from one week to the other: it gets less boring. As for the elevator shots, I hope we won't get to many of these. You don't fight or we see! After the great action pilot, that was kind of a let down.
Oct 01, 2011
I'm out too, I wont watch anymore. It's just not any good, really disappointing considering the 2 main actors. I expected better
Oct 01, 2011
I'm out. I didn't think the pilot was great. I really wasn't interested in that episode's future murder, and was even less interested in the one from this week. The flashbacks were alright, but they didn't really tell us anything we already didn't know.

But I'm not going to get mad about this. I knew going into it that I probably wouldn't like it very much, but I'm a fan of Michael Emerson and Jonathan Nolan so I checked it out anyway. I guess I just don't like CBS dramas (or very many of their comedies).
Oct 01, 2011
I liked the pilot, but this episode won me over. I look forward to seeing more of the series.
Oct 01, 2011
I really like this show and I think it has potential. It is probably my favorite of the new shows so far. None of the comedies have really grabbed me and some of the other dramas are a little boring.
Oct 01, 2011
I expect the floorboard to creak & groan during the fleshing out of character and plotlines. That's fine. I worry more that the directing is not paying close attention to the job at hand. What street-smart girl, after spending 2 yrs running tells a stranger she's known for less than 24 hrs that she's fine DYING now as long as it's with him??? WEAK!!! And I can't blame anyone but the director for letting this get to print.

After watching this episode, I've put Marie Bello's cross-dressing Kojak in Prime Suspect ABOVE this series for the save list. Great story and acting, but DAMN lose that hat & trenchcoat!!
Oct 02, 2011
LOL The same street-smart girl who sees two strange men - at least one of whom definitely wants to kill her - fighting over her in the laundry-mat, and just watches instead of thinking to get away. Then, when it does occur to her to leave, we see her sauntering down the street. SAUNTERING! And that wasn't the only time! Someone else must have been keeping her alive for those two years. The only humor I found in this ep was when Finch told her he couldn't escape as fast as she could.
Oct 01, 2011
How did you not expect the procedural aspect? Their conversation in the pilot pretty much directly translated into "I have a computer that will give you a random mission of the week".
Oct 01, 2011
It was a decent episode. I didn't enjoy it as much as the pilot, probably because it was a lot less bad-ass. However, I don't mind that it's inclined to be a procedural -- I assumed it would be since I first heard about the show. There will probably be a story line or arc that spans maybe a third of the season, which is cool by me. I just hope that the high-level action and ski-mask-awesomery that we saw in the pilot isn't a rare occurrence. Also, I really hope they tone down the usage of "camera shots" before every scene.
Oct 02, 2011
If you're talking about shot of the Machine watching the streets I think this is not just a transition effect. Nolan very well said that the Machine will be "a character" in the show. Remember "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Resident Evil". The Machine! The Machine!! Always watching! Analyzing! Always there! You can't escape! Mysterious entity lurking on everyone, everywhere! The Machine, man!!! The Machine!!!!
Oct 02, 2011
ts just a silly way to transition from one scene to another. Much like in many shows they show a shot of a building or something before cutting to the studio office scene, this show does the same thing but its "oooo the cameras are watching!!!" You don't fool me, "Persons of Interest."