Person of Interest: My Two Dads

Person of Interest S01E17: "Baby Blue"

Oh yes, Person of Interest went there. Last night was the baby episode, a cheap ratings ploy full of cheap jokes to keep the masses happy. But you know what? It totally worked! "Baby Blue" ended up being more than just diaper changes and grenade pacifiers, adding an interesting case and changing the relationship between Reese and an old foe for a well-rounded episode that covered all the bases.

Things got off to an '80s comedy start with the latest social security number belonging to six-month-old baby Laila, so of course Finch kidnapped the kid to keep her out of danger. Jokes were plentiful as Reese and Finch played Tom Selleck and Steve Guttenberg, making a crib out of books and exchanging awkward dad jokes about Amber Alerts. It was obvious low-hanging fruit, but Person of Interest made a hilarious smoothie out of it. They were legitimately funny. Person of Interest has this weirdly disarming comedic streak, and it's been put to great use in getting us to identify with a weaselly tech genius and a killing mumblebot. I'm being honest when I say that I think POI is CBS's best comedy. This show would be only 47 percent as good if it took itself seriously. The writers clearly know what they want their show to be, and when that happens a series can really take off, just like Person of Interest has.

The case itself was deliciously scandalous. Why did someone abandon Laila at a hospital? Why did the computer spit out her number? Was she evidence of an affair or the heir to an inheritance someone else had eyes on? Or did her number come up because SHE WAS THE MURDERER? We can't just assume babies all land on the victim side of things. As it turned out, she was the love child of a randy CEO who had his receptionist taking some dic...tation, and if word got out about that sort of thing happening at the company, things would go south. And later, in an effective little twist, we discovered it wasn't the CEO or his gay son who put a hit on the little baby and killed her mom, it was the CEO's wife. It's always the wife! Case closed!

But wait, there were still 15 minutes left in the episode! One thing Person of Interest does to me pretty much every week is go on wayyyyy longer than I expect. I'll think that an episode is halfway over before the first Geritol ad aimed at CBS's core audience airs. I'm pretty convinced that each one lasts as long as the Lord of the Rings trilogy. That's how dense they are. This is not at all a complaint.

And out of nowhere came a pretty cool Elias storyline as Reese raced against time to find Laila as she was re-kidnapped by Eastern European thugs. (Side note: This show really doesn't like Eastern Europeans, does it?) With little to go on and the trail of the Euros dried up, Reese went last-resort and dialed up Elias, figuring his criminal ass would be able to get some scoop on where the baby exchange to get the kid out of the country would be going down (white babies fetch a huge price in Mexico, and Laila was half, so she could bring a decent payday).

Reese and Elias have a pretty fascinating past. We first learned about Elias in the excellent episode "Witness," when Reese saved his life not knowing he was a super gangster. The two have brushed elbows a few times since then, and Elias has an odd respect for Reese and his vigilante ways even though they're on opposite sides of the righteousness scale. Elias agreed to help Reese find Laila, and for a moment it seemed that Elias wasn't such a bad guy at all. He saw the desperation in Reese's eyes and decided to help a brother out. Besides, no one wants to see a perfectly good white baby go to waste.

But Elias is no idiot, and his willingness to help Reese came with a steaming side order of self-interest. Once Reese tracked down the babe and shot the dudes exchanging her (it was nice to see a couple of Reese's trademark leg shots, but the bullet to the guy's face was sweeeet), Elias and his goons sprang up and threw Reese and Laila into a refrigerated truck, demanding information on the whereabouts of Elias's father Moretti, who was being held in custody by Carter and the Geico spokesman and who Elias wanted dead. It was either give up Moretti or try defrosting a dead baby later on, so Reese pretty much signed Moretti's death warrant.

Reese and Finch played stork and delivered Laila to her grandparents for a happy ending. But not before Reese did more pining for a normal life, asking Finch, "Think we'll ever have kids?" Seriously, these guys are so gay for each other, which is awesome and proves that my Valentine's matching was spot-on. Finch replied, "The trouble with children is you never know how they're going to turn out." BAM! Cut to Elias taking a hood off of an imprisoned Moretti and chillingly saying, "Hello, Dad." Great stuff! We don't know what Elias is going to do to Moretti, but I don't see them participating in the company-sponsored father-son potato-sack race.

"Baby Blue" may divide audiences due to its Two Men and a Baby storyline, but I totally dug it. I honestly can't say this enough: TV shows that know what they are are so much more watchable than ones that don't. And Person of Interest knows it's action camp disguised as a procedural. "Baby Blue" had laughs, murders, serious business, and some emotion, making it an ideal example of the series firing on all cylinders and a heck of a lot better than a story about some whippersnapper on Wall Street.

Surveillance Notes
– Great Reesisms this episode: "I see your time at MIT wasn't wasted." "It's just a tear gas grenade." "Dada or dada?" Carter's reaction to Reese watching the baby was also fantastic. And how about Reese's smirk when the Euros stepped to him in the bar? This guy is all sorts of badass.

– There was also some good redemption for Lionel Fusco as she covered for Carter. I worry that his good behavior is just setting us up for tragedy, though. Yup, I'm calling Detective Fusco getting killed off before the season ends.

– Or maybe not! Carter's declaration that she's through helping Reese and Finch was another big moment in the episode. With Carter not working with them anymore, Fusco now becomes more important. But we don't really believe Carter will stay away for too long, do we? Even though she's in the right, because Reese screwed up her own operation in protecting Moretti and got Geico man shot. Vigilante justice is messy business, and Reese has witnessed firsthand how his actions can mess things up.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

"Geico spokesman" -- that's who he is! Thanks Tim.
Another great episode! I was totally on board with the hilarity of the baby storyline, I thought Reese and Finch as pseudo-dads was highly entertaining choice.

One highlight of the episode you forgot to mention: the sketch of Finch.
Writters didn't quite read their homework for this episode. Reese guesses Albanians or Croats took the kid, and then he suddenly walks in multinational Croatian-Albanian themed bar? That's highly unlikely... True, Croatia and Albania are in good diplomatic relations, but there are huge differences... First, religious differences, majority of Croatians are Catholic, while majority of Albanians are Muslim. Croatia and Albania are not even neighbouring countries. Equivalent of this would be something like US/Mexico themed bar in Croatia with American/Mexican gangsters, or even more apsurd US/Saudia Arabia bar... Besides, every Eastern-Europe crime expert in USA knows that the majority of East Euro criminals operating in America are Serbian and Romanian, while Croatian, Albanian, Macedonian,Slovenian, Bosnian take much smaller part. Thugs in this episode are either speaking Croatian, Serbian or Bosnian language, so how could Reese be so very specific about these so called Albanian-Croat Eastern European mobsters? And after all, Croatia is not even Eastern Europe, it's more South East, next to Italy.
That was basically my kneejerk reaction... I mean come on, Serbian-albanian connection was far more likely... It's like they put countries into a hat and pulled out two... But I have to correct you as well here.. Hrvatska nije u južnoj Europi... Both in political leanings, historicaly, culturaly and above all else, geographicaly it's central europe... Well if nothing else we Croats rarely get villain roles in foreign movies/series.. Usually it's Serbs, so if nothing else it suprised me...
OK, Reese didn't belt that woman who had the baby kidnapped. You could see that he wanted to. She has no idea how lucky she was. On the other hand, they cut away before we could see what happened to the Eastern European mobster who kept taunting Reese to shoot. Maybe he really did shoot the S.O.B (for Borscht).
Jim Caviezel is a great actor. I wish he was in more movies.
I agree, I think POI will show off Jim Caviezel's acting range and the movie deals will get better. He will be in "The Tomb" with Arnold and Sylvester so if it's a hit his career will take off.
I agree on the part that he is a great actor and he should get more roles (in movies) but I don't want to compare him to Arnold or Sylvester. Both great careers, but lets be honest. They aren't as good an actor as Jim Caviezel is. And we see how he can kick ass, but not with the muscle body of the previous mentioned.
I totally agree Jim Caviezel's acting abilities far exceed Sylveter and Arnold but their names will be the draw to the movie and from there Jim's name will be put back on the market. The Passion Of the Christ put him in the controversial category and hopefully a block buster hit will change that.
Lovely, lovely episode, with lots of cute, schmoopy, romantic moments - seriously, these guys are one of my favourite couples on television these days! :D

And the twist at the end, with Elias' betrayal, was great.

And I have to agree - when Reese is working on the Easter Europeans in the bar, and looks up, smiles and says "Really?" - I squeeled. That's got to be one of the most bad-ass, shark-like, sexeh smiles I've seen on the screen in a LONG time! :D
Nice episode , Was totally unprepared for the angles the episode took. Cant wait for the conclusion.
I loved that Finch and Reese discussed about having babies...and it felt like they were talking about having babies together!

I was worried that it would be the jump the shark episode for POI. Luckily, it wasn't. In cat I totally loved it!
I think that the writers made a little misstep. WE and Reese and Fusco know that Finch/Wren went to MIT. That is not info that Finch gave to Reese, so the comment that Reese makes to Finch is out of context. How would Reese say that and reveal to Finch that his past had been researched? I did notice that Finch gave Reese kind of a funny look after the comment, so maybe he realized the "mis-speak" as well.

Here's a different take on the Reese/Finch dynamic. The ages of the actors in real life is just about far enough apart for a father/son relationship. Not to say that Reese if Finch's son, but how about if Reese knew Finch's son in his past 'life'? Could explain the - how they (kids) turn out comment. Could explain Finch's fatherly attitude at times, both the nagging and the protection of Reese. Just one more thought to add to the twists!
As far as the how kids turn out phrase, Finch could be referring to Reese, an assassin or it could be self reflected as we don't know much about Finch's personal life and background.

In the first episode Finch told Reese he had been watching him for a while, how long is a while? He knew Reese was considered MIA and that he had 6 undercover identities when he worked for the CIA. Has anybody considered that Finch might have worked undercover for the government only in the computer/technology department?
I thought it was obvious that Finch was refering to The Machine when he mentioned "how the kids turn out" phrase. He sees it as his child
If Emerson gave Caviezel a funny look after the comment it was because it was scripted/directed and therefore not a writer's misstep. Reese was fishing for a response from Finch and got none so he pressed no further. A common CIA/FBI tactic to try to draw a person out when under stress--and what could be more stressful than a diaper change. This is one of those classic moments that deserves a second viewing because it's so good and so subtle--but with full episodes yanked from the net, it's frustrating.
Agree, Reese likes to spring stuff on Finch to rattle him. Agree, we need full episodes on the web.
Just finished watching the episode! Absolutely luvd it!

The bromance between Finch & Reese is amazing: after they find the baby and pry the grenade from baby's fingers, they have the most hilarious lovers tiff. I was watching them and getting reminded of a couple friends of mine having the same argument about how "this really isn't working" ahhahahah

It's full of badassery action, actual funny moments, lots of charm and it is really very very well written! My favourite show of its kind!
And forgot to add: Always a pleasure to read your reviews Tim! Thanks!
I personally think Carter was stupid. When Resse tells her he had no choice but to give up Moretti 's location in order save Laila who had been kidnapped by Eastern Europeans, he asked what he was supposed to do instead. Her stupid response? Call the cops that's what their there for.

Yeah the cops were doing an excellent job finding Laila as it was, considering Reese and Finch were walking and driving around town with her and no cops stopped them. Even though Finch should have been the description of the man last seen with Laila in the Amber Alert. Any cops seeing Finch should have obviously known or suspected he was the one if they had checked the security camera's or at least checked the description from the nurse. But the fact is they did neither.

But yeah that conversation to the cops could go one of two ways, "Yes, I'd like to report a kidnapping. Yeah, my partner was the one who kidnapped baby Laila and now she was kidnapped again by Eastern Europeans. You have to find her!" Yeah I doubt the cops would even believe that. I mean would you? Or Resse could have said, "I have it on good authority that the Eastern Europeans were the ones who kidnapped baby Laila. But I have no clue where they are now."

Seriously did Carter think her police force had magical powers and the moment Resse called and told the cops that the Eastern Europeans were the ones who kidnapped baby Laila that they could magically find her? Even if the cops believed the story they'd have never found her before she would have been out of the country.

Not to mention it was this very same police force that took one look at Laila's mother's death and without bothering to look deeper, and Carter didn't have to even look that deep. The cops handling that case came glance around said "Eh the fire killed her, it was an accident, time to move on to the next case. Mr. Corner don't bother with an autopsy it's a clear cut case of accidental death." After all any half ass decent corner you would think if they had any brains would find the bashed in skull more than an accidental death.

So since when Resse got to Laila the exchange was about to take place by the time Carter's 'crack police force' got around to looking for her she'd long been out of the country.

Though I think Reese should have lied about Moretti's location. Elias wouldn't have known till he got there. He'd have assumed Resse was telling the truth.

I'm thinking maybe she thought they should have handed Laila over to the police after they removed her from the hospital. If she was "miraculously" recovered after the first kidnapping (by Finch), they could have put her in protective custody while investigating the threat.

And it WAS kind of crazy to have the guys running around town with a baby in tow.

Seriously, in this particular case it might have been better to hand her in to the police with a note stating her identity and the presence of a threat, and have Carter keep an eye on her safety.
Exactly. I understood both sides because while there are dirty cops running around, there are legit and good ones too. It put the baby in too much danger having two people not equipped for caring for a child keeping track of her...and I love my boys to pieces but it was an epic fail when Laila got kidnapped from their hands! It wasn't so much trusting any and every officer around but she was rightfully agitated that they didn't trust her enough to put the baby in proper hands so they could really put all their efforts and attention into catching the bad guys.
That's what bothered me as well--she knows there are dirty cops so her response was totally worthless and ridiculous. The woman who got Reese gut-shot by following the rules blames him for getting Geico Man (love it and a whole lot easier to spell) gut-shot by NOT following the rules. It makes her sound like the dorm parents at the evangelical school I went to.
On paper this episode shouldn't have worked with the cliched stuff but as per usual with POI it was epically awesome! I ate up all the baby stuff and the jokes, and yes I even giggled like a schoolgirl at Reese having the baby strapped to his chest. I loved the episode and it more than made up for that Wall Street one which was arguably the weakest episode to date (but still better than half the stuff on tv now). I love the little subtle hints at him craving for more normalcy. They have a nice bromance those two, although I do get the "married couple" vibe! LOL!...I'd ship Reese and Carter before Reese and Finch though. I think the former's relationship is intriguing and yet inexplicable. Besides they'd have that whole I hate you I love you thing that could be hysterical. war of the roses or something. I would totally ship Finch and Fusco though. The banter between those two...LOL

I was very surprised to see them bust out with an Elias storyline in here and it was nothing short of interesting. Love Enrico C. He's awesome. It surprised me that they had so many little arcs going on in one episode...it could have been messy but it wasn't. There was the main case with the baby (although I believe there was one before that). There was Carter,Reese, and Geico guy working the Moretti angle, Fusco doing his dirty cop thing, and Elias popping up. What could have been crowded was well paced.

I both hate and love that the Carter/Reese dynamic has faltered so quickly. I understood her position though. She's already going out of the norm for herself by assisting him with his vigilantism...but she's still never in the know about things in general and the moment he didn't actually come to her was when she was given the impression that he didn't really trust her...or more importantly her ability to actually help and do her job.It's a rather one-sided relationship from her p.o.v. I get the frustration.They have a very complex, tenuous bond, that rivals the Finch and Reese bond for being as intriguing as it is ...complicated.

And kudos for some extra badass Reese. What separates him from other "heroes" is that he's not inherently good. I feel weird for saying it but I actually missed him actually killing people. Him constantly taking leg shots and knocking a couple of guys out makes him too much like any other cop etc portrayed on tv. I love that he struggles with doing the right thing, it's part of what makes him so endearing but the fact that he can at times be so ruthless is also what makes him endearing. He was due for actually killing someone again...I also think that was a sign right there of him struggling again and becoming a bit unhinged...
@bluemystique I also like the Carter/Reese relationship. Reese looked hurt when Carter said she couldn't work with him anymore. Reese admires Carter for being an honest cop and Elias admires that quality in Reese (at the meeting when he asked Reese a question Elias commented he was honest to a fault). Carter and Reese are more alike than they realize, they may be on opposite sides of the law in a way but with the same goals, I think Carter will come around.

I think the reason Reese hasn't been killing anyone is it hasn't been necessary to accomplish his tasks. I think he did enough killing as an assassin he doesn't want anymore blood on his hands. Killing the guy who kidnapped Leila was a very parental move on his part as he would do anything to save her, same as giving Elias Moretti's location to get out of the freezer truck.

Loved the banter and the jokes between the characters it adds to the entertainment quality of POI. True bromance between Reese and Finch....LOL
So agree! Carter and Reese are more alike than they give each other credit for. I think it's part of why they are so drawn to each other. I mean their dynamic is truly fascinating to me. I mean Reese seen something in her early on that had me eagerly awaiting when they'd finally come face to face... a deep respect, admiration, and reverence for her. You rarely see that in his character so the subtetly of it with her is intriguing. And her battle with doing what's truly good always interferes with him....like she has this soft spot for him that she doesn't quite understand. It's so interesting to see. Reese did look visibly hurt when she said she couldn't work with him and he struggled with actually leaving her and leaving it at that. It also reminded me of that mixed look he gave her during Number Crunch, he was hurt then but yet forgiving...even in that moment. And she was rightfully guilty. Their stuff is so subtle but amazing...thanks to the actors. I think that's why I have to argue that Carter and Reese's dynamic is just as integral to the series as Reese and Finch's even if it isn't as fun or whatever.
More +
I wanted to see Fusco rat out where Moretti was. It would really help his story line along for his descent into the bowels of corruption. Fusco needs to be the darker half of the same coin to Carter-dishing out info to Reese on the corrupt police. But that's not going to happen if he doesn't bite the bullet and start giving HR some helpful spying on Carter. Fusco can become one of the most interesting characters on the show with a real moral dilemma, but it has been shuffled off to the side for now.

Also Geico guy needs to live and come back more frequently-he's pretty cool.
Great review! I particularly agree that Finch and Reese are one of the most charming 'couples' on TV
this could have been the best episode of POI so far.. I laughed so hard at times, and felt seriously angry at some others (why, oh why did he not at least smack the hideous wife in the face) sad (the look on Carter, the look on Reese at the freezer truck they were stuck).. I totally agree with your analysis about the show not taking itself too seriously, that makes it all so amazing..

and the baby: oh my god, she was adorable and with those runaway manners (the crib made of books was just a-maze-ing!) and chewing on grenades; she could have been the perfect apprantice for the couple:) how great it would be, if they raised a kid together:)
That's who that was! The Geico guy! It was driving me crazy!!! If he had just said the words '15 minutes" I would have recognized him...
I liked this episode; it was funny and the plot actually moved forward in an interesting way.

But what I see happening with Fusco/Carter is that Fusco's good behavior will make him do 'the right thing' in some hairy situation and he'll get killed (likely on account of Elias and his many followers). Carter will witness it and she won't be able to get any justice for his death as it will likely be covered up by Elias. She'll finally realize the benefits of vigilantism and team up with Finch and Reese (for reals this time).
That entire exchange between Finch and Carter had me laughing, I loved this episode! And a great way of bringing Elia back, I can't wait to see where this is headed! I also thought that the roles of Carter and Fusco began to diverge from each other in this one.

Just a sidenote; change the she to he in the second of your surveillance notes.
da-da or da-da had me laughin oh so loud...i think Reese will make a great dad!

I was super happy when Fusco didnt spill on the where about of Moretti but am sure he will have to do some bad things to earn is stripes in the "dirty cops Inc". Ideally, i would have loved if both he and Carter were working with Finch n Reese and it wasnt a secret between them.

The woman hacker/bad things organiser, when are we going to see her again?I have been thinkin on who she maybe n i think its that government lady that Finch's dead partner's son met at the park.She looked paranoid enough.

Question now is,in the scheme of things who is the better bad guy between hackin lady and Elias-i-cant-kill-a-baby-but-am-okay-to-mal-treat-her-to-get-wat-i-want?And wat if they join forces? the lady keeps Finch busy n Elias provides thugs to try to keep Reese busy?

The future is bright!!
Initially, I was kind of on the fence about this show, what with its weekly cases, and the lack of background info and what I felt was chemistry between the two main leads, but now I feel like Reese and Finch are simply the two best male leads on air right now. Carter still needs work in my book, but the way that Reese and Finch have built their relationship is awesome. I also love every second of Elias on screen. That dude just captures my attention every time :O
I absolutely loved this episode! It was a great balance of comedic relationships and serious business. Reese and Finch getting all protective over the kid was incredible and just a joy to watch - they're my favorite married couple. I agree that Carter won't stay away, and I agree that Fusco is being pushed and pulled in too many different directions, but I don't see Fusco getting killed off. Time will tell, though.
Liked the episode very much, and like Elias as big time criminal, as he's so normal looking. The reveal of him being Elias in his introduction episode was masterful. And Reese, you gotta love Reese. Thought the smile and the "Really?" in the bar was just the best!!

I really love this show already. But me and my wife always get the creeps when Finch does the intro.... "you're being watched...a machine that spies on you 24/7". The way he says "machine" is just so creepy. We're calling the series "machine" already and imagine some kind of perverted terminator dude that sh*BLEEP*ts out a number every so often. Sorry for this image, but listen for it when you hear the intro again :-D

Sorry for the nightmares!

Bye!!
While I was watching this show with my wife, I told her that I couldn't wait to read your comments on this episode, Tim. Beside POI and Justified are equally the greatest shows on TV. You are definitely one of its more influential supporters with this blog. That shows up in the positive comments of your readers about the show. I hope Person of Interest and Justified have a few years run, they are the best. I love the comedic quips: "But it's only a grenade", and in the bar when the others want to join in, "Really"? are the most memorable.
Thought this was a great episode. Loved it when Elias 'changed his mind' about the baby and the story continued on. Reese and Finch are such a fantastic duo. This show is thrilling and funny! Best part was the police sketch of Finch - looked like Gollum with glasses!
I was also suprised/pleased at the 'extra' bit, I thought it would be over after Reese retrieved the baby from the gangsters, but then it was like 'oh, no, here, we'll bring Elias in' and then another 15 minutes! I thought the show had run long, but no!

EPIC! Reese, smacking down Eastern Europeans, just the look on his face and the way he said 'Really?" as the other three are moving in on him after he just put the smackdown on the first guy, so...much...awesomeness!!! Shut up and take my money!
Oh, and whatever happened to Finch's bodyguards from the pilot?
Reese smacking down the Eastern Europeans in the bar is probably the most Batman-like moment in the series so far. This episode was the polar opposite of "Risk" in that I was actually surprised by most of the plot twists and the director managed to juggle the multiple plotlines so that the show didn't come across as a convoluted mess. My biggest problem with the episode was Fosco not feeling the need to check in with Reese about HR ordering him to give up Carter's safe house. The consequences of his selling Carter out (if he had) would probably violate Reese's admonition that Fosco not hurt anybody.
A few scenes felt a bit rushed but overall the show was pretty well executed for what it could have beem
Can POI set the bar any higher? Another terrific episode!!! Comedy, action and suspense all rolled into one. Now that Elias has "repaid" saving Reese's life it will be interesting to see where the writers go with the story line.. I think Carter will have a change of heart about working with Reese and Finch but will play her cards a little closer to the vest. Fusco is near and dear to my heart as he is still trying to do good by protecting Carter but I agree he might meet an untimely demise before season's end. Let the countdown commence for next weeks episode.......
dudeeee the last fifteen minutes were so in the "nail biter" category. I mean John Reese is a tough man but the best form of torture is watching someone helpless get hurt and second to witness, this episode was the best

This show is getting better by the minute that is all I can say.
Loved the episode - very thankful it was not as spoofy as the promo implied (shouldn't be that surprised - the promo's quite regularly are completely misleading).

Loved that Lionel was in it even if most of his screen time was w/out Reese or Finch. I, too, am horrified at the ominous bells that are ringing in my ears regarding his fate =[. I'd hope they wouldn't kill someone off this early - I'd think they'd give him more screen time if he was going to be killed or it lessons the dramatic impact. Why would anyone care he's dead if he's not in most episodes? I think he got bumped when the exec's bumped up Carter's storyline.

It'd be nice if Carter backed off their little group - I don't like how sloppy they've gotten w/ their work since she joined in. I like the character - I just think they're using her wrong. As it is I think her quitting on Reese was just a knee jerk reaction to the moment. She'll probably cool off but maybe she'll have more rules and be more limiting in her involvement. Heck, maybe Fusco is a feint and she's the one that will die (!!! that'd be awesome - a lot more tragic for Reese, I think). Actress does talk a lot about getting bored in one role and how she likes to play different people. Who knows, maybe summer movies will be enough variety for her.

A bit bummed that Elias broke his word to Reese - I was starting to think they'd have a Boyd/Raylan style relationship. They might still but getting past that manipulation should be hard for someone who's been as badly betrayed as Reese.

Bit .... underwhelmed at Reese's pining for a "normal" life the past couple of episodes. Don't care for it - you'd think he'd have come to terms w/ that long ago. And really, what's wrong w/ not wanting it? =P I hate the constant forceful reinforcement of the idea that the ultimate life goal of every adult is to have a spouse and 2.5 kids. Blech.

All in all, great epi. Loved the return of Elias, happy to see cracks in their groups dynamics (so great how they're constantly shifting that) and even the baby was cute. Will laugh forever at them running through the library looking for her. It has great comedic moments better than most sitcoms.

Can't wait til the final season run!
I loved this episode from beginning to end. Watching Reese and Finch babysitting was quite funny, especially when the baby had that gas grenade. I was also scared at that moment, but I found it to be pretty funny. The baby storyline also had its share of dramatic moments, like when they nabbed the baby from Finch in the car, and of course the refrigerated truck part. I'm telling you, at that point, I was beyond pissed at Elias! In fact, even though Elias said he wouldn't hurt a child, I don't believe him for a second!

I'm more worried for Carter now that she has separated herself from Reese and Finch. Elias will still be gunning for her, and now she's alone again (for now). However, you know Reese and Finch will step up and help her again, so this is probably temporary. I'm also worried for Fusco being under those corrupt cops' thumbs. Just how much more crap will they put him through?! Wow, I never thought I'd feel this way about Fusco, given his questionable beginning.

Right now, this show is firing on all cylinders! I love it!
This show started off really slow and iffy for me, but because I am a big Michael Emerson fan I stuck with it. Boy, am I glad I did!
Great headline. I would have gone with Two men, a gas grenade and a baby. The whole baby thing was done well. I found it a nice contrast between the rough and gruff Reese and the sensitive reese. The scene in the bar was made greater because of the contrast. However, what the heck, I like watching Reese beat down people. Show it next time.

I don't think Carter is going to stay away for long. Elias and the corrupt cops still want her out of the way so at some point in time she is going to need Reese and Finch's help. The good cops are getting few and far between and she is going to run out of people on her side.

As for Fusco, I am not sure that he marked for death just yet. What I see could happen is that to solidify his spot in the corrupt cop's eyes he is going to be tasked to kill carter. And with that they might have to fake her death. Or maybe they are forced to fake his death. I think he is too integral to the multiple stories to do away with him just willy nilly. He has his side projects of finding out about Finch and is their only in with the corrupt cops, and inevitably Elias. Not too mention I don't think it would take Reese and Finch much to set him up higher in the corrupt cop ladder.
I love this show! It's really unique even though the overall story is so simple. Kudos to such great writing!
I kind of rolled my eyes when I saw it was going to be a "baby" episode, but you're absolutely right, they executed it VERY well! Great episode!

I don't think Carter will be able to stay away for very long, but Fusco might have screwed up with the bad guys. Anxious to see how all of that plays out!
the best episode so far and the kid was so cute !
I agree, this was a really good episode, especially considering what the episode was about. The episode could have been too silly for a show like this, even if comedy is a big part of the show's charm, but I think they handled it well enough. I also love the bigger implicatons of the episode, with Elias and his father, and what that story did with Carter's partnership with Reese. I like how the writers aren't afraid to sake the relationships up like that (as long as they don't end up over-doing it later on). One thing that kind of bugged me in this episode, probably more than it should have, is how Reese dismissed the possibility that the CEO's son was the father, just because he saw him kissing that guy. For one thing, there's always the chance that he was bi-sexual, instead of simply being gay. And even if he was gay, it wouldn't be the first time a gay person had a relationship with a woman which resulted in a baby. Of course, from a writing perspective, they probably just wanted to move on with the story, coming up with a quick solution for why it wasn't the son. But from Reese's perspective, it seems kind of like sloppy detective work. Oh well, that was such a small point in the episode anyway, and doesn't really change the fact that I did think this was a good episode overall.
Re: the son. Funny you say that. I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it. I pesonally try not to rule anything out.
Great show!! POI keep it up!!!
- At the moment, POI & Justified are neck in neck as the best shows on TV. I'm telling you, 2012 is the year of TV badasses!

- I was a little confused by the fact that Fusco didn't inform Reese that HR asked him to track down Moretti for them through Carter. Wasn't he supposed to keep him in the loop?

- I would pay good money to actually see Reese beating up those Euros in the bar. POI has made it a habit of letting Reese do his thing after the scene cuts away. Judging from the pile of bodies he left at the bar, i would have loved to watch it. Who wouldn't?

- I hope to God they don't kill off Fusco! He's really starting to grow on me. But it's a very real possibility.
We can hope that scene will be one of the extras in the DVD!!
Fusco was suppose to tell him but lets not forget that Reese can blackmail the captain anytime because hes dirty and knows hes in Elias pocket.

Example: in episode 4 of the season Reese blackmails the captain to transfer fusco to carters unit so he can keep him eye out.

Also it was Reese's idea to have Fusco join HR for he knows they also connected to Elias
I wondered the same thing about Fusco not letting Reese know about the request.
Couldn`t agree more with you. POI and Justified are currently the best shows on television. But winter is coming.................
Now that we are sure the show is getting renewed, you can see the writers building quite a few plots and subplots (Elias taking over the city, his dad, the hacker, finch's backstory, the son of fich's partner). I would also love to see the writers show the backstory of Reese.
@akshit05 Where did you get the info. that POI was renewed for season 2?
It got a 3.4 rating and 16 mn viewers last night. Its the best new drama (ratings wise). If its not renewed, than I don't know what is.
Of whom was Finch thinking when he made that remark about never knowing how a child will turn out? Where did he get those great parenting skills? (Not at MIT, I think.) I'm still interested in his remark about his "brothers." Maybe one of them didn't turn out so well...
I think he was refering to Elias and how he turned out to be after his father murdered his mother.

Or he was talking bout nathan's son as well
I thought it was great irony that the Handler (Finch) said this to his Hitman (Reese) with a completely straight face.
I didn't think of Will - I thought of Root. I think it'd be kind of cool - rather like a reverse Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker thing.
Wow! Now THAT is a mind-boggling notion.
Agree
When he said that, my mind went directly to his dead former business associate's snoopy son and thought it might be foreshadowing that we'd be seeing him again soon. But I could be waaaaaay off on that.....

He could have also been referring to Elias and his father.....
Amazing episode the best episode so far, now im sure this is the best show ofc with TVD i love both shows and they are both on the same night but person of interest has everything comedy, action, drama everything while TVD is almost all action and drama no comedy so all i can say is this is the best CBS show so dont cancel it and renew it for more than one season it deserves it looking at how much the ratings grew and it hitting series high almost every week this is TV's best new show and i dont know how anything can top this next year.
I can't believe you just compared this show with TVD. Also, TVD has plenty of comedy, it's just that it's not always intentional.
Love this show. I think I may have to rewatch from the beginning to get my head around the Elias stuff. Time well spent methinks!
Im quite ok with the writers testing carter trust again and showing that being in business with reese and finch means losing good people along the line.

Im still wondering why Elias wanted evidence stolen from a old case file in episode Mission Creep.
He need the knife to kill the his mother's murderer.
Elias wanted the knife that killed his mother, to shove into the hood who used it thusly.
Sorry, didn't mean to step on your toes :(
Im sensing hes gonna use that same knife on his dad if hes gonna kill him with a knife.
I loved this episode! They just know what they are doing, the baby playing with the (tear-gas) grenade was just great! And who tries to trap babies between piles of books anyway ;)...

It's great to have Elias back, he is definitely a worthy adversary for Reese.
what bout the hacker who knows finches identity?
True, but the Hacker is more Finches adversary :)
Cant wait to see how the two clash over the internet lol.

I guess Elias kinda or doesnt have a soft spot for Reese lol.
Elias did give Reese a warning to stay out of his way or there'll be consequences.

For one thing we know that Reese and Elias have in common is that both wont hurt kids.

That is a possible chance he might lure Reese to join him but what fun would we see if Elias and Reese work together instead of kicking each other ass lol
Think that he is still trying to lure Reese over to the Dark Side?