Person of Interest: One-Percent Good

Person of Interest S01S16: "Risk"

Clear eyes, full hearts can really diversify your portfolio.

This was my face during the first 57 minutes of last night's Person of Interest... :|

This was my face during the final minutes of last night's Person of Interest... :D

Person of Interest is no ordinary procedural, but "Risk" was as close to ordinary as the series' case-of-the-weeks have ever been. It wasn't horrible, but it was the kind of story we expect to see elsewhere on CBS and it definitely required some slogging through to finish. That said, viewers who did make it to the end were rewarded with the long-awaited return of an old friend that will set up the back half of Season 1.

Part of my problem with "Risk" has to do with the fact that I find Wall Street insufferably boring. Some people see dollar signs and corporate gambling, I see a bunch of white guys in suits waving pieces of paper and making money they don't deserve. In "Risk," Computer spat out the social security number of a cocky young Wall Street whiz kid named Adam, played by Matt Lauria of Friday Night Lights fame. There was the usual Wall Street gimmicks: fast cars, late-night partying in clubs, a bunch of white guys in fancy suits who all looked alike. And there was... murder.

It quickly became clear that Adam was a target and not a potential perp after a way-too-complicated attempt on his life involving a construction crew, driving-lane funneling, and a garbage truck. Turned out that Adam was privy to some insider trading, and someone didn't want him to spoil the party.

Assets, bitch.

The most interesting part of Adam's story was his redemptive transformation from Armani-wearing jerkface to someone reconnecting with his roots as a hardworking kid from an impoverished blue-collar family. While most of the episode was spent time trashing the financial industry and hoping those white collars would choke their owners, Adam's story was a hopeful display of using his skills for the community and not for greed. And when that message was jammed down our throat as Adam bought an abandoned building that'd become a homeless camp and brought in an armada of food trucks to feed the down-on-their-luck denizens, Person of Interest's ode to the 99% was complete.

It's interesting that for all the super-patriotic red-white-and-blue "USA! USA! USA!" shows that air on conservative CBS, Person of Interest is succeeding by challenging the notion that America, its government, and some of its values are infallible. Heck, the series is essentially saying we're all under the rule of self-interested, power-hungry thieves and crooks. Real heroes are hard to come by on the show; even Reese and Finch are portrayed as individuals with shady pasts. It's more proof that Person of Interest stands out from the rest of CBS's lineup and that a show doesn't have to wrap itself in an American flag to be a hit on America's most-watched network.

But for all that, only the final moments of the episode made "Risk" really worth the watch. The insider trading was orchestrated by our old friend, Elias, who was stocking up on cash to fund his next move. Person of Interest went through the television equivalent of puberty when it introduced Elias, maturing from a solid procedural with a slight build to a beefy, hairy-chested serialized show with maximum potential for ass-kickery overnight, and we've been wondering what he's been up to since we last saw him eons ago.

But with only a handful of episodes left in Season 1, was the show too late in getting us reacquainted with the series' main bad guy? And what about slinky hacker "Root"? And what about devious Agent Snow? All signs point to the final episodes (five, I believe) of the season being stuffed with dense story as everything comes to a head.

*heavy breathing*

Notes... of Interest!

– I just couldn't see Adam as anything other than an East Dillon football player! Not Matt Lauria's fault, but sometimes actors need a little time before we can believe they're anything other than the high-school characters they've played before.

– It was nice of Reese to show thanks to the homeless lady who took care of him when he just a smelly hobo. I don't mind that soft side of Reese.

– You may have seen that I suggested Reese and Finch be each other's valentines, and boy oh boy was their chemistry apparent in the opening scene, when Reese was getting fitted for a Wall Street-appropriate suit! They're like an adorable old married couple!

– Detective Carter should change her name plate to Lapdog Carter. She's still being gravely underused, essentially running errands for Reese and Finch. I'm not terribly bothered by this since I'm fully focused on Reese and Finch, but I am wondering what the heck she's doing on this show if she's not doing much more than playing a glorified game of fetch.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

which song was it at the end?
Tim, I also must admit that during the last five minutes of the show I let out a child-like squeal with the return of Elias.
I love this show and as someone else here said, 60 minutes watching Reese and Finch is worth it even in a weak episode--love the chemistry between the two. And now Elias is back. Wow! Not since Buffy have I actually planned my activities around a TV program. Great acting, great writing.
Why isn't CBS on Hulu? CBS does not want to pay licensing fees. I only watch Survivor, Rob, POI, Wheel of Fortune and Hawaii 5-0 , otherwise it is FOX, ABC USA , Syfy, A/E, TLC, AMC [WDead]. lol Sometimes HGTV on weekends or around 6 weekdays between news and regulars.
I have heard that this show in on the bubble for renewal. I would be more than highly disappointed if it does not return for another season. A unique premise, interesting stories, great and developing characters and the relationships among them. A big problem, I think, is CBS not making its quality programs available On Demand. Person of Interest is by far my favorite new show of the season.
agree, CBS needs to be available for Hulu. Not sure if that is why they monopolize ratings by it only being seen once until regular reruns start. It is up against Grey's and soon Touch [March 15th]on FOX. Not worried about Grey's ratings, but am about the new stuff . Including POI. The recent episode reminded me of movie Boiler Room . Rent it and you will see the politics involved though they are scam artist . lol Hard to tell difference these days.
This show amazes me week after week. All the ingredients that he's made of are super classic and it would have been easy to make this show a poor mix of past great shows influences. But here it is : the action is great, the long arc(s) is(are) well told, the characters and their relationships are subtle (even though some people would say they are a bit of a caricature... but a so good one to watch !). I guess the explanation is simple : talent.

Even though this week's case was not as thrilling as the previous ones, the scenario was ambitious and tried to be precise about insider trading and the "shorting" thing.

I can say it : I love Person of Interest !
Personally I think the show just keeps getting better and better. When it's not all intense action, and I agree this episode definitely was not, there's always some character development going on. True, a lot of that focussed on Lauria's character, whom I'm guessing (and probably for the better) we shan't be seeing again, but there was also the nice moment with Reese and the homeless lady. I'm also glad they are bringing back Elias, and I agree there's a lot to deal with in the final episodes of this season... but will they be able to do it in a way that's satisfactory?

The ending of this episode was by far the best part, granted, but on the whole I'd say even the boring nature of this particular show did a good job of setting us up for what is likely an awesome season finale.
I want Person of Interest's season finale to be amazing, but I hope it won't be so amazingly epic that the writers have a tough time coming back from it (like with Hawaii Five-0). Also, I hope the-powers-that-be don't overhaul the series for season two, making the series very or completely different (like Harry's Law, Hawaii Five-0, etc).
Adam the stockbroker is one seriously fine looking dude, they don't make great manly looking film stars like they used to so it was refreshing .

I must say POI has seriously stepped up their game last couple of episodes. This used to be a filler series for me BUT its now one I greatly look forward to. The story was captivating acting was spot on , am shockingly am really liking the two detectives these days!

This got me thinking hey perhaps I might check out Alcatraz which I bailed on after 2 episodes and see if they gotten better with time too.

I can hardly wait for the next episode.
Keep bailing, the boat is sinking, on Alcatraz.
Nope. Alcatraz got worse. Watch it at your own risk.
Though I like Alcatraz, maybe because of Neil and ''Hurley'', or that nothing else is on at 8pm my zone on Mondays except History network that is equally interesting on that night and time, am a Fox junkie except for Idol and its knockoffs and Bones. Moving Touch to Thursdays is bad idea! But at least FOX has Hulu for backup to busy dvrs. lol
Oh, and one more thought. As a champion paranoid, surely Finch knows that he should never, never, establish patterns. And here he is again, calling himself "Mr. Crane." This is going to come back to bite him (or maybe "peck" is the more accurate verb).
Speaking of next season (if there is one), I'd like to see some episodes derived from Finch's chat with Carter when he mentioned "my brothers." Was he telling the truth? If so, they must all think he's dead. What if one of them were to spot him by accident on the street, and decide to dig into the new secret life? Did they always treat him like the runt of the litter? If so, there could be some hilarious and disconcerting, not to say dangerous, consequences were they to attempt to re-connect with him assuming a family dynamic of decades past.
I actually enjoyed the whole episode, not just the last five minutes. I never got bored, understood most of what was going on, and definitely felt bad for Adam with the position he was put in. The fact that someone would go to those extreme lengths to keep insider trading quiet was so compelling! I loved it!

I also loved Reese and Finch in the beginning with the fitting. Reese definitely pulled off the White Collar look very well!

I also think Carter is underused, but it's for Reese and Finch's own good. That also includes keeping Fusco in the dark. I wouldn't want them to know about the machine and what it does either. Too many bad possibilities! Keep them in the dark and not knowing of each other for as long as you can, until it is absolutely necessary.

Given the reveal of Elias at the end, these last few episodes should be very interesting to say the least. I love this show!
I've said it from the start: Chemistry between Finch & Reese could be envied by any sort of romantic couple! ROFL!

Plus I think Finch took too literally the bit about Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy... LOL!

I agree Carter is seriously underused... but I think at the end of this ep it looked she's starting to come up with her own ideas...

Well can't wait to watch the rest of the season! Will we get a delicious cliff hanger for the eos ?
maybe that bromance is on purpose to mock Batman/Robin partnership. Jim and Chris Bale could play brothers easily. lol POI is created by Nolan. hmm
I find it interesting that no one has made this comparison yet. Person of Interest is Joss Whedon's Angel without the supernatural aspect. You have Finch (Doyle/Cordelia) who gets a number (vague vision) and relays this to a dark, brooding, mysterious vigilante who gets into that person's life as fast as he can and takes the law into his own hands to save that person from the bad guy (unspeakable evil). Throw in a couple of sidekicks Fusco and Carter (Wesley, Gunn and Fred). Hunted by the CIA (Wolfram & Hart) forces them to keep an eye on their backs at all times while trying to do good. Comments welcome.
I've never thought of it that way, but I see your point! Interesting.
this is an interesting point of view
I really enjoyed this episode. It was a nice change of pace and of course the ending was great.

This is the best new series by far.
This show consistently exudes excellence and keeps us on the edge for the next episode! I really dont find many that do this, and we do love the characters!!!! And there is so much more to know!

But, like FNL, or SOA, no one gets notice for the job they do!

Guys like the dude on Suits get nominated in best Dramatic actor? How silly is that!!!!!
Isn't Suits a Dramedy? lol It is amazing how the ratings gimmick works. A rerun of CBS beating The River on Tuesday-How? I just want somebody else to beat the heck out of precious Idol on Thursday and Any night it is on. Especially ''special'' episodes I wish had been bumped by sports.
Really enjoyed the episode, because 60 minutes with Reese and Finch are worth watching even if the plot sucks! But how could Elias know that it was Reese who called? Any thoughts?
I figure it started like crazylegs99 said. There probably aren't too many guys that can go around helping regular folk, foiling these big plans, evading multiple attempts at his life, etc. Elias probably figured, and maybe even saw at one point or another, that it was Reese.

As for the call itself, I figure once he knew it was Reese that was messing up his plans, Elias told the cop he owns to plant the phone in the trash and stare at a camera, hoping/assuming that Reese would somehow see and find it once he heard the SEC guy died.
Reese managed to kill a couple of Elias' goons (when they were trying to assassinate Saunders). He also knocked another guy on his ass on the roof. Maybe Elias put two-and-two together?
I'm disturbed by the references to the "valentine" relationship between Finch and Reece; can we abstain in public from homoerotic thoughts regarding POI, please? The two men are turning into friends, OK? The weird thing about that suit scene was the image of a billionaire tech genius "taking in" a pant leg on a suit. Ridiculous, much? Lemme tell you something - if I'm a Finch, I'm thinking of ways to buy a hundred of the latest iPhone and thinking how I'm going to add tech servers to my Finch-cave ... not worrying about whether Reece looks the part in a room full of suits!!! Geeze!

On Dept. Carter -- yeah, they are wasting her talent by showing her as some kinda lunch lady for the series so far. Instead of her adding sides to the lunch plate, let's have Elias start his attack on Reece/Finch by going after her son (who we haven't seen hide nor hair of for a while) in order to turn her against our dynamic duo. Wouldn't THAT be a much more engaging use of Taraji P. Henson's giant talent? I mean, seriously - just recently she was involved in an incredible shootout alongside Reece, picking off bad guys like they were Gumby dolls!! She's a COP and a SINGLE MOTHER, for Christ's sake - NOT a gofer!!!

And, lastly on this rant .... isn't it quite obvious that "Root" and Elias will team up at some point (probably next season) to go up against our Batman and Superman? If it were me? I'd find some more SuperFriends for Reece, Finch, Carter, and Reece's good buddy Lionel PRONTO!!! Against those two, they're going to need all the help they can get!

There .... I've practically written next season; when do the checks start arriving?
i'm 100% with u... WTH is that "chemistry" thing????

I also didn't like Carter's char... Fusco has a bigger role than her... specially now that he will try to get deeper with the dirty cops

btw... perfect job writing the next season :P heheheh someone talk to the editors :D

I would like the see a war betwenn Elias vs "Root" with Reese/Finch in the middle.
The end of the beginning.....the return of Elias.

Wow, really enjoyed that little twist at the end. Where will POI take us next? I agree the episode was very procedural but still love to see Finch and Reese on the job. Again with a little role reversal with Finch doing the leg work and Reese being an asset manager, money management not being one of his strengths.

I loved Finch's cheap shot at Reese when he told him to be a banker all you had to do was look clever and wear the right clothes and that they had the second part covered. The trust between Finch and Reese seemed to have wavered in previous episodes but when Reese told Joan, the homeless woman, he had somebody new looking after him, I was touched. Finch also seemed moved and pensive when he overheard Reese make that statement.

Can't wait until next week......
the moment the hassling government guy was taken in, with that one short hesitation he had before going into the car, I knew they were to tie it to somewhere else, and man, it was screaming Elias.. and the whole thing about elias is too big to resolve in one season, so probably his story, as well as the "root"s, will strech to the upcoming season.. but snow will probably -and hopefully, that is one very very annoying character- be dead, as I am sure he is into some scheme himself (how calmly he kidnapped and probably killed the drug dealing cia agent in the previous episode, eh?).. I am also hoping for carter's involvement in finding out what snow is up to, which would get her promoted, and make her less of a lapdog and more of a third team member.. I can also see carter learning about the machine in the final episode.. there are too many stories to be told (the one of Nathan Ingraham, the one of Statham -reese's ex partner-) so not all of them will be explained in this season obviously..

I loved, but absolutely loved the opening scene.. every single line was fantastic, every single mimic and gesture was also fantastic.. that itself could be the sole reason I can keep on watching this show forever, not that I dont find all other stuff about it fantastic too.. the look on finch's face when reese responded homeless woman's question of "who is taking care of you now?" as "someone new.." was also very heart warming.. in the bar fight scene, when all those wall street guys throwing punches at each other like puppets, how lovely was it that reese just, very slowly raised and simply sort of poked only one guy and he was on the wall with four others.. the guy is a-maze-ing! with all those scenes and everything I so dont mind it being too procedural sometimes, they never fall back in terms of epic entertainment:)
Most of the episode was, indeed, very procedural-y and it wasn't the most interesting case. But I didn't find myself going through the motions or having to fight through it; it was still fun enough to watch. The end was easily the best part of the episode though: Carter's little monologue to lead up to it was a bit too Batman-ish, but seeing Elias again was great.

While you couldn't see Adam as anything other than his FNL character, I sometimes saw him as his detective character on The Chicago Code.

As for Elias, Snow, Root, etc., I don't think they'll all come to a head in the final five episodes. This is still more a procedural than a serial drama, so unlike Justified, I don't think they'll feel any pressure (or even incentive) to have them all finish this season off.
I agree this episode was about as procedural as they come. But there was the underlying "who is pulling the strings" kind of thing. Considering the CIA gets there money through drugs, the only other two big bars were the Hacker and Elias. There hacker, being a hacker has other means to get her money than dealing with Dbags on wall street. So that really only left Elias and given the SEC guy was obviously dirty, and the group of guys following Adam we somewhat competent. That left Elias. That was good, I was wondering how and where they were going bring him back into the fray. And there it was.

What this episode did, however, was make me miss The Chicago Code. Damn that was a good show. Stupid Fox.

But overall an above mediocre episode of POI is better than 98% of the rest out there. I would have preferred more quips between Reese and Finch.

But given that they did a few episodes of background, I am glad they are moving towards the climax of the season. I can't wait to see what they are going to bring up.
actually makes sense that a D bag is running Wall Street. lol How fitting!
Has anyone else noticed that in the past two episodes, between scenes when they show the various cameras through NY, there has been a plane clearly marked in the sky with a green triangle. Any thoughts??
The first one I noticed in "Blue Code" was tracking a helicopter. I saw another in this most recent episode that displayed a flight code departing EWR (Newark, NJ), and another one move really quickly that I couldn't catch.

I've noticed other visual tags being added as time goes on. Mixed colored boxes, changing boxes and a variety of status messages.

POI is training us to read the machine!
Any aircraft on the show seems to be tagged with an upside down green triangle, the same way Finch & Reese are always tagged with yellow boxes (as opposed to the white boxes for everyone else). I don't think it's anything significant. It's just The Machine's way of classifying all the elements in the equation. For The Machine, finding POIs is similiar to solving a mathematical problem & each individual person or entity is marked in order to distinguish what's relevant and what's not.

That's my impression of it anyway.
I knew from the start of this episode that the whole operation had to be puppeteered by someone we already knew. Based on a couple traps (the guy in the car saying he'd found the kid, for example), I was convinced it had to be Root, but the instant I saw the back of that balding head, it all fell into place.

With only so many episodes left in the season and so many on-going story lines, I'm getting a stronger and stronger feeling that at least two of those forces working against Finch and Reese are going to pair up. It might just be the boys' worst nightmare if Elias and Root end up on the same page - but that's putting the bad guys together. No tension there. Much more dramatic (and would add to the plot of a second season) if Snow and Elias or Snow and Root ended up in an alliance.
To me, it also felt as if going through the motions. But those last few moments! I know exactly how you felt!
- I've never seen Friday Night Lights, but I was a huge fan of The Chicago Code & Matt Lauria was pretty good in that.

- I don't know, I thought last night's episode was pretty fun to watch. Reese was working in an unaccustomed environment & it was interesting to watch him adapt. Not all POIs are going to be cops & lawyers. The next POI could be a high school kid! And maybe Reese has to go undercover as a teacher or something. I'd still watch it.

- The re-introduction of Elias came at the right time. Snow has been hovering in the background & it's safe to say he hasn't left NYC yet. I'm just curious to see whether Finch & Reese will deal with all three of their foes by the end of this season or only one or two of them. It makes sense for the Elias problem to be taken care of by the season finale, for Root to give them the slip (again) & for Snow to be a long-term pain in the ass for Finch & Reese. That way, Reese's backstory can continue to reveal itself at a comfortable pace. I would prefer if they revealed what happened to Ingram by the end of this season.

- Reese's "assets" line (after clubbing the investigator in the face) was the cheesiest & most awesome dialogue of the episode! Only on Person Of Interest.
Friday Night Lights was one of the best shows that ever graced the airwaves. You should give it a go...
Yeah I've heard good things about it. I'll definitely watch it soon. Thanks
loved the episode... the entire thing.. not just the last moments

• 8:00 pm