Person of Interest: Reese's Past Comes Back to Shoot Him

Listening music for the article: Unkle's "When Things Explode," as featured in the final scene of "Number Crunch"

Confession: I didn't even know Person of Interest was airing a new episode this week until very late. I thought last week's "Get Carter" was the midseason finale, and that the episode had left the show in a good place heading into 2012: We'd learned more about Carter, and she and Reese had developed a weird form of respect for each other. Oops. Last night's "Number Crunch" was the REAL midseason finale, and shut down 2011 in a fantastic way by building on last week's episode and opening up a new can of backstory that will be sure to shape the series next year.

ComputerBot3000 actually played a huge part in the episode, something I've been really looking forward to ever since show creator Jonathan Nolan told me that the program Finch created would become a major character in the show itself. There was something interesting about the way the computer was portrayed in this episode, with its jumble of security camera POVs, phone snoops, and digital boxes around people's faces. I'm not about to say the thing is becoming sentient, but I feel that with each episode, it's doing more and becoming a bigger part of our experience watching the show. Here, we saw it watch a car crash slowly unfold, and witnesses—who would become our Persons of Interest—flock to the scene like broke moths attracted to a money lamp and take the victim's cash. And I'm sure Reese checking out the book Ghost in the Machine in Finch's library wasn't lost on you. ComputerBot3000 isn't quite like SkyNet, and it won't ever be, but it's becoming more than a device to assign Reese and Finch to cases, and the way it was portrayed in "Number Crunch" reflected that. Just a thought.

This week, Mr. Computer spat out four numbers, all belonging to the witnesses mentioned above. That meant overtime for our dynamic duo as they scrambled to get eyes on all the targets. There wasn't a whole lot to the case, so let's excuse the details and just say the good guys won after Reese did what he does best... which is kick ass and make appointments for haircuts.

But their victory was short-lived, thanks to a friend from Reese's past. There were actually two cases going on this week: the mystery of the missing million bucks from a coked-up car crash involving the four witnesses, and two spooks closing in on Reese. The latter carried major consequences! We first met the mysterious Mr. Snow (but you can call him Mark) after he caught Reese's scent on Carter and took his questions to Carter's superior. Mark and his partner claimed that they're CIA, they claimed that Reese murdered his old handler (the hottie who we met in a flashback a few episodes ago), and they claimed that Reese is just shy of a gun-wielding maniac who kills without discretion. In other words, we can't believe a thing they say.

But Carter was still unsure of what to think of both them and Reese. She bounced back and forth between who to believe, the man who saved her life but who's also operating outside the law, or the two goons who say they're CIA? Decisions, decisions! But in the almost-end, after thanking him for saving her life in goodbye fashion, she sold out Reese by giving up his location to Mark. SHOWDOWN TIME! Mark, with Carter in tow, stopped Reese in a parking lot and told him he was bringing him "back"—to what, we don't really know. Reese left his old life behind when he became Super Bum and had no intention of ever returning, so Mark's partner sniped him with a few gut shots. Oh my lordy, someone actually shot Reese! I'd just assumed he was bulletproof or could smack bullets out of the air.

A staggering Reese walked out the back door to meet up with Finch, and Carter caught up. And then it happened: Carter, Reese, and Finch all saw each other in plain sight, no cover-ups, no scrambled telephone calls, no hiding behind proxies or motorcycle helmets. It was like people from an internet message board meeting face-to-face for the first time and finally realizing there's someone real behind the screen. It was do-or-die time for Carter's true feelings on their unusual partnership, and she decided to holster her gun and help them escape.

Now we're left to wonder several things. Will Reese survive? Okay, I think we all know he will. Who are the people after Reese? What do Carter's actions mean for her future relationship with Reese and Finch? Where does Elias fit into all of this?

Person of Interest continues to exceed my snobbish expectations. The things we want to know (backstories, mostly) are being revealed at the pace of a man who's been shot in both his quadriceps, but those stories are surrounded by eye-popping action and interesting cases-of-the-week. The producers and writers know exactly what their show is: a modernized '80s action series that combines everything that made those programs of the past so much fun, with lessons learned from new serialized character dramas. I'm drawn in with a whole lot of gunplay and badassery, but I keep coming back to learn more about these characters. Person of Interest has nailed its formula, and that's why it's one of the most entertaining new shows of the year.

Surveillance Notes:
– This was Reese's most badass episode since the pilot. Why on earth would anyone go after him with less than a Sherman tank and a flock of angry ostriches? Do not fuck with Reese! He didn't even need binoculars this time, he just used the scope on his high-powered assault rifle!

– Finch got a real taste of what it's like to lose a target when his mark blew up in front of him. How will that affect how he works?

– I approve of Reese's choice to go after the redhead when they were splitting up responsibilities to follow their Persons of Interest. Smart man.

– Am I the only one who cracks up at this show each week? Between the intentional cheesiness (which works) and the unexpected humorous dialogue, I laugh more during Person of Interest than I do during most comedies. "Lionel, after all we've been through..."

– There are plenty of things to nitpick about in each episode. Wouldn't a bomb in NYC cause more of a ruckus? Couldn't Finch have discovered that the two POIs were foster sisters? Could Reese really just put on a CSU coat and walk onto a crime scene? But guess what? I don't care! Person of Interest has established its own plane of reality, so I'm just excusing these things and enjoying it.

– Whoever is doing the music for this show, pat yourself on the back. "Number Crunch" included Unkle featuring Ian Astbury, the lead singer of vastly underrated rockers The Cult (hit the YouTube embed at the top of this story to check it out).

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

I had to back up the scene of the explosion twice, just to see Finch get bowled over. How will this affect his injuries? And was it just me who thought the drop-out of sound (simulating how real ears would respond to an explosion so close by) might have meant more -- like that Finch's injuries (and possibly Ingram's death) were caused by a car bomb, also?
The best episode of this season so far.
I too crack up during this show. The look on Reese's face when he talks to Fusco is priceless. It's like this combination of indifference and annoyance that only Reese could pull off.
I love this series, sometimes i feel like am I really watched.
You are...
wow great ending, i loved the background music gave it a weird feeling to everything
this show is all about catharsis we need in our everyday lives, and thats why many of us love it.. a cool, badass action hero, and a nerd, super IQ sidekick, kickin the asses of bad, really bad people, and bringing some sort of vigilante justice.. and that was why I felt so angry when carter sold reese and when reese got shot.. the guys were definitely cia, as reese knew them.. but the look on carter's face when she realized she was actually set up, that was amazing too.. also the tears on finch's eyes when he understood that reese got shot really bad, and then reese called him to "thank him for a second chance".. omg, I almost started to cry, this is some hell of a show!
I can't even explain how much I love this show. You are right about POI having it's own plane of reality. At this point, they can get away with just about anything because the show itself works so well. This episode was just great.
Great episode! This made POI the best series currently airing. Besides TWD, but only since the great midseason finale.
Whatever...

O M G! Did you see Bridget Regan from Legend of the Seeker?! She's redhead now!
This is a really well-done review. Smooth, just like the show, "Person Of Interest."

There have been so many great comments here as well, so I won't repeat those.

I will add that in addition to the wonderful character growth we've seen so far, the great eye expressions in this episode, and the awesome music that keeps showing up in the last minutes of the show, I must also applaud the nods to JJ Abrams' other gem, "Fringe."

In the pilot we saw a quick email to Peter Bishop and Phillip Broyles-2 Fringe regulars. In the second episode(I think) there was a direct reference via Finch dialogue to Fringe episode 317, "Stowaway," when Finch told Reese "She should have died with her family."

A few episodes back Michael Cerveris, AKA Fringe's "September," guest starred as that crazy Russian guy(I barely recognized him with eyebrows and other facial hair) and in "Number Crunch" mystery man Snow was the elusive John Mosley, AKA "The Rogue," from episode 104 of Fringe.

I know they don't have to add in these connections, but it is so very JJ Abrams, and I love him and his staff for doing this.

"Person Of Interest" is the best new series in 2011. It's growing exponentially. I hope its audience does too.

I agree 100% that some of the expressions in the eyes were absolutely priceless, most notably when Reese is flirted with when he is taken to a chair in the hair-salon, and when Carter and Reese make eye contact, and Finch's expressions in general are amazing.
I'm definitely a big fan. But I wonder how long they can bring us different cases. I'm not complaining of course, because it's so refreshing to watch a procedural where each case of the week is solved in its own manner but I just hope that that procedural part stays that good for the rest of the season(s).

As someone said it below, it was interesting to see that they did capitalize on what happened last week because even though most of the episodes were strong and deep, the lack of continuity between them made that there was no connection tying all we learned watching them.

My only concern is what I talked about last week : now that Carter seems to have choose her side, don't we have a same character played twice as Fusco and Carter are now the cop-friend ? Maybe Carter won't be in the force any longer and join Reese and Finch in some way. Therefore, Fusco would be the inside help and Carter would be something else (Henson may have been cast in this idea... explaining therefore why so many of us don't feel her right in her role as a police officer). I'm just speculating because I'm very excited to see what happens next.

There are so much things to know about : carter's future, Finch and Reese's pasts, the machine, Elias and all the cases of the week. Looks like lots of questions won't be answered in the remaining episodes of this epic first season.

Last thing : when that music kicked in at the end, I thought : "I'm pretty sure Tim's gonna linked it at the end of his review". I was wrong, you linked it at the beginning of the article ;)
One of the beauties of this show is that the material for episodes is endless, as murder, sadly, is endless. The danger isn't that they won't be able to bring us different cases but that they may not be gripping enough to keep our attention piqued. Now, however, they've got at least TWO big underlying stories that can go for a while -- Reese's past (and we still know little of it, which gives them even MORE material), and the big mafia Kaiser Sose guy. Both of those will play big in the next season, supplemented by individual episodes.
I really like this show, although you need a lot of suspension of disbelief to watch it. It doesn't matter, though, especially when it's engaging. We sympathize with the characters, their emotions look real, the actors are really good. So what a few things are too convenient! I'm willing to let go, because it makes sense in the show's realm - the same with "Fringe" and "Game of Thrones" - That's why what happened to "Dexter" this season bothers me so much. It's not true to its essence anymore. So all the trivial details and mistakes have become unbearable to me. Loved this midseason finale and the song - thumbs up!
I love this series. Jim Caviezel is one of my very favorite actors. Have been a fan since seeing him in "Frequency" and, of course, "The Count of Monte Cristo" (which was referred to in the episode shown on 1/5/12). I agree with everything your wrote. The season finale of Dexter really bothered me, too.
A wicked end to the mid-season! Fantastic episode, from the two plots to the use of music -- I'm loving this show.
I'm loving this show. Great to see Bridget Regan again.
Fantastic midseason finale. Also, I noticed that you, Tim, might actually be starting to accept Carter in her role here. Or maybe you just chose not to comment on it here. I LOVED seeing the computer getting into the game there. Cannot wait to see more of it. Also, love that Reese's past is coming more into play with some crazy stuff, like a Man In Black coming to get him. Want more Finch history for next episode. Let's see him argue with the government over his computer.

-Reese is awesome. I would want 5 guys with sniper rifles pointed at him and 3 guys trained at shooting baby squirrels on the run when he evades the sniper shots. Maybe then somebody would actually hit him (of course he still wouldn't be dead).

-I'm hoping for a real emotional shake-up from Finch. On the other hand, he has lost POIs before, previous to hooking up with Reese, so maybe that'll get outed more in a backstory than in the present.

-She looked good with him. Lovely.

-I laugh a lot, too.

-My favourite one was the CSU coat walk-on. Of course nobody questioned the new good-looking guy standing there all pensive-like. He obviously belongs there.

-Good music. I also approve.
I had given up on television because for years it was a wilderness of mind-numbing trash. But in my opinion, Person of Interest is quality on every level and it's actually filling my DVR. I'm glad other people are watching the show and supporting it; I'd hate to see it get cancelled before it reaches its full potential.

I agree with other posters who applaud Caviezel's performance. It's subtle and deep. Reese would not be an easy character to play, and yet Caviezel delivers a perfect blend of humor, intensity, confidence, repressed pain, and badass action. I'm anxious to learn the details that led to Reese's scorched-earth life.

Likewise, Michael Emerson is amazing. In the obviously less flashy role, he makes Finch just as fascinating as Reese. He also delivers a perfect blend of humor, intensity, confidence, repressed pain, and badass...technology. There's a lot more to Finch than has met the eye so far.

This episode left me talking to the walls, wondering where the plot will be taking Reese, Finch, Carter, and Fusco next. Great stuff. I especially liked the scene in the hospital when Wendy (it was nice to see Bridget Reagan again) told her story to Reese. The way he watched her face...what was he really thinking? I also liked the moment at the end when Carter recognized Finch and said, "You." The world of meaning we saw in Finch's eyes as he looked over Reese's slumped shoulder? Yeah.

Can't wait for more.
I record every episode to DVD. Love Reese!
My best friend's mom makes $77 an hour on the computer. She has been out of job for 9 months but last month her check was $7487 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read about it here NuttyRich. c 0 m
My best friend's mom is a belly dancer.
That's a quarter in the swear jar...
This is a Badass Song
I think Finch did manipulate the space-time continuum (he's made islands disappear before, right?) and was just messing with Reese's head to say that he didn't!

Awww, so cute, they're calling each other 'Harold' and 'John' now, bromance lives!
Definitely one of the better shows to come out as of late. I've enjoyed every episode of this show and love the writing, story, and acting! Why can't tv produce more quality shows like this? Notice how they DON'T rely overtly on explosions, sex, and/or CGI to sell the lack of a story/acting!!!

Hope this show definitely lives on for some time!
Amen!!!!!
And when they display explosions, they are real explosions and not poor CGI !!

I don't understand how producers motivated to produce an action show do not put money into the action elements such as explosions !
Oh my goodness, Jim Caveziel is super sexy all the time. Michael Emerson is very attractive in his own way and as an actor he is up there at the top IMHO. The red head in this episode, Bridget Regan, is stunning.

I was glued to this episode and found the premise so interesting. I was as upset as Finch was when the car exploded. I was totally ticked that Carter could not see through Mr.Snow and his partner. I was so angry when the 'partner' shot at Reese on the car park roof. All because of stupid Carter's misplaced trust. I found myself yelling at the TV frequently during this episode. Loved how Finch broke all land speed records to get to Reese in time to save him!

This show has been a favourite of mine since the very first episode. Looking forward to seeing much more of it.
Um excuse me that redhead was the fantastic Bridget Regan, I miss having her on tv Seeker was a great show! And i loved the episode can't wait to learn more about the Snow/Reese story
Big fan of the show - fantastic all around. I think Carter fits in well with the rest of the cast though, after getting drummed out of the military (even though its been a while) she still has a badass attitude which I like.
This episode was stellar! Pure and simple! the action...the dry humor, the adrenaline rush I get while watching it, the fact that Jim Caveziel can whisper anything and I will melt into a puddle on the floor.The fact that Michael Emerson's distinctive voice can creep me out and intrigue me at the same time. Awesome! What I love about this show is it started off on a fantastic note as far as I'm concerned but as with everything it left just enough room for improvement. And it did. It improved Every.Single.Time. I love shows that grow...I love to grow along with the show...and each episode gives us more and more reasons to watch it! That midseason finale was by far the best episode of the series to date. I should be saying that...in fact I find myself saying that practically every week. But it was a gamechanging episode that turned everything we knew on it's head, and I for one LOVED IT!

The dynamics have shifted! I do have to give a special kudos to the previous episode "Get Carter" because it truly kickstarted a shift in the series. Some could argue too soon but I'm game. That episode fleshed out the only main character who was lacking...and this finale pretty much made her redeemable. All of our leads were shining. We got to see just how close our duo have become. They truly trust each other. Finch got in on some more action and the reality of what was at stake and how he himself could be affected by it truly hit him. How he admires, respects,depends on, and cares for Reese came through. Same with Reese, his genuine appreciation for Finch was so evident, his genuine concern for Finch's safety was abundantly clear. Their "bromance" has reached a new level. Even Lionel...he's gotten more dimension to him, we've come to learn that what made him a dirty cop was most likely rooted in an admirable trait, Loyalty. The fact that fearing for his life aside, he actually is truly loyal to Reese. It's surprising but he too seems to have come to care for the man, and even his newfound relationship with Carter. Initially what started off as another babysitting duty seems to be more. He seems to respect and care about Carter...and when he said he had her back...I actually believed him. And the entire dynamic of Reese and Carter is fascinating. Now that we know who Carter is and why she is the way she is....even her betrayal in the episode was understandable and forgiveable but her actions at the end were superb! I mean Reese seems to genuinely care about and be concerned for Carter...he also truly seems to respect and admire her and even upon finding out what she did he didn't seem the least bit upset or betrayed by her...if anything he was a bit resigned. I love that shift in their dynamic most of all! I love that Carter, the character who I had the least faith in because of how one-dimensional she came across has suddenly become a three dimensional, complex character, who is officially pivotal to the series and the Finch&Reese dynamic.

I ended the episode on the edge of my seat in complete awe at how everything shifted so beautifully! The man who seemingly was invincible was knocked down a peg or two which managed to make him even more endearing and badass as a character! The entire dynamic of Finch and Reese reached new heights making me put them on my list of my favorite dynamic duos of television. Lionel Fusco...the one character who used to irritate me mildly I actually came to respect and took him more seriously. I'm officially on board with enjoying Carter (still not nearly as much as I enjoy Henson herself). New threats and possible antagonists being brought in with the spooks. The tidbits of the pasts of these characters that have been dangled before us brilliantly. I mean how awesome will this be if Carter and Fusco do end up working with Reese&Finch in their own ways...to fight off rogue CIA agents, and dirty cops, and big bads like Elias. I mean for months we've been saying that Carter isn't convincing as someone who can actually catch Reese...but maybe it's because...she'll be the one sort of helping him as much as she can w/o jeopardizing herself, her job, and her strict morals. I'd love to see that, because I actually like seeing Henson and Caveziel share scenes together. I never had any reservations but if I did...they would be gone now because I'm irrevocably in love with this series and the brilliant writing!
Always love your comments bluemystique. You should have a job as a TV/Movie reviewer. If this was the mid-season finale, I will miss this show terribly until it's return.
Aww thanks! I wish I could find a way to get paid for watching tv and expressing my opinions in a million words or less. *G*
Bridget Regan !

I llllllllllllllove her and I got to watch Legend of the Seeker again ...

The CIA-dudes seem to be a little bit on the sloppy side, the attempted "take-out" was so unprofessional. The viewer needs patience but the show delivers.

Remarkable ensemble.
Funny little tidbit: Mark Snow was the composer of the music for the X-Files. Now I know that's FBI and not CIA, but maybe still a shout-out? Maybe I'm overreaching here.

Great episode-the song at the end was cool, thanks for embedding that.

Right now for me, the CIA is much much more interesting than Elias. I was left unimpressed by Elias. "Oh. He just wants to reunite the Five Families and bring the Sicilian Mafia back into power. That's kind of...anti-climactic." He doesn't feel threatening or dangerous. The CIA on the other hand: secrets, Reese's past, more secrets, cool suits, shooting Reese.
There was a similar glitch in the Elias episode....Where Elias was standing around in his kitchen like a total dumbass--When Reese found him, if he was truly there to kill him (and Elias didn't know if he was or wasn't at that point either) Elias would have been totally dead to rights. Seems kinda strange, considering how badass he's made out to be after the fact.

This a good show, but it's not as perfect as some people make it out to be....Just sayin'
Yeah, the show had a few kinks to work out in the first few episodes. But I think the series has cleaned up pretty well. To be fair, in the Elias episode, he was cornered by the Russians trying to find a way out. Crime boss or no crime boss, the guy was pacing around trying to figure out how to escape. After his encounter with Reese, he just played the part of the innocent schoolteacher as he had before for some time. He may have been surprised by Reese's interference, but he didn't show it. After all, if a badass in a suit is willing to help you escape, and if you don't know the badass well enough, it makes sense for Elias to play along and pretend to be the victim.
Just one question, why would the CIA guys bring Carter along? Seems awfully convenient....
I do not think Snow and the CIA hitter had any intention of "bringing in" Reese. When a CIA asset goes rogue the Agency does not "bring them in," they terminate them. Snow brought Carter because after they killed Reese they could kill Carter to clear up the loose ends and close Reese's file. Carter is marked now; they will continue trying use her to track down Reese but her days are numbered. I think this is the plot device they will use to bond Carter to the team.
that is a very reasonable explanation, now I really wonder how things will turn up for carter.. and the writers do deserve congrats, as they made us wonder about carter, who seems to be a c even d story in the whole plot..
perhaps Carter insisted on going along-she was the one supplying his location and she'd been trying to catch him for a long time. and the CIA guys were like "whatever. doesn't matter."

I also like your point about Elias above, I had the exact same thought.
Two things I don't understand. Why no bullet-proof vest and why didn't Finch talk to Reese through the ear-piece.
- bullet-proof vest: who knows? maybe he didn't want to stand out so much? maybe it restricts his movement? maybe then he would've been shot in the head? xD

- the earpiece was offline (if that's the right word? I mean turned off) and Reese only turned it back on as he was walking down the stairs. Also parking structures are known to block reception on cell phones, so maybe the ear-piece frequency didn't work either?
Me thinks Reese isn't in the habit of getting shot. He gets 'shot at' a lot, but then actually getting shot may not be a common occurrence. Maybe it's a CIA thing. Or maybe the vest doesn't fit well with the suit.

You don't question Batman, dudes!
Each episode of POI is better than the previous one and the pilot was freaking fantastic! So, you can imagine how much I love this show. Imo, this is the best new show this fall. I wanted that redhead to be a bigger part in the show. She was really hot and her dialogues were hilarious when she met Reese.

-"Why on earth would anyone go after him with less than a Sherman tank and a flock of angry ostriches? Do not fuck with Reese!" AMEN! This made LOL!

-I think this isn't the first time Finch has watched someone die right in front of him.

-Really smart move. A better move would have been to hit that!

-The way the cheesiness is done makes it brilliant. I laugh so much at some of Reese's dialogues. Those lines wouldn't work with any other character on tv!

-Yes! Even I forgive them wholeheartedly for every small mistake, even though they know its wrong and yet do it.

-The music has been perfect in every episode. I'm discovering awesome bands because of this show!
I really liked this week episode. One of the best of the season, for sure. I was getting worried since I felt the last couple of episodes didn't live up to the promise of the show. But now we have many questions to be answered next year and that makes me happy.

Oh, by the way, I'm in love with the redhead.
I love Bridget Regan ever since I've watched Legend of the Seeker :D

And I swear with black hair she looks like Evangeline Lilly xD
I spent all episode trying to figure out where I'd seen her before and finally ended up imdb-ing it. I couldn't believe she was Khalan. She looks way different with red hair.
This show rocks, I just love it, gets better and better with each episode.
Loved this episode and love the show. Nuff said!
This show is really scrubbing up nicely! The stannd alone episodes have been really great and the ones involving something to do with Reese's past have also been of a very high standard. Not to mention the upcoming (fingers crossed) Elias story line.

I did also think about how come that bomb didn't get more attention, but as it wouldn't have contributed to the plot I forgive them for that.

Was a bit surprised though that they seemed to have forgotten that a woman could be involved, considering that it was a woman that left the bomb stroller by the car.

And finally, I love how they always seem to find the perfect outro music. I mean, the Intro from The XX at the end of the Elias episode. Excellent!!!! It really was a great intro
FYI: the second shot hit his leg, and Reese was shot twice, so it's not "a few gut shots".

I really enjoy this show, and this episode was a great example of what it does best. Great to see the characters interact the way they did, and someone get Finch out of his room more often!

Also I don't think that was the first POI he lost up close - anyone else wants to guess how he got that spinal injury and what happened to his girlfriend?
"Am I the only one who cracks up at this show each week?"

No, you're not. I think that what makes those lines so funny is the tone with which Reese says them. He's so emotionally flat... It would not be as funny if another similar character like Michael Westen (Burn Notice) would say them.

And yes, there are many things to nitpick about. I'm always surprised that writers still do that. Mostly when it comes from someone like J. Nolan. It's like they just don't care. Yes, people will still watch the show but don't writers have any pride in the work they do anymore?
I'm with you. The writers of this show are especially prone to sacrifice consistency and logic whenever they see an opportunity to score (cheap) points with the viewers. As long as the show is comical and self-ironic like this week's episode this doesn't matter too much. But whenever they try to venture into drama these deficits become obvious. So I really hope that they will build on the last two episodes which were fun (and where we finally got some coherence between two episodes). The stage seems set for a nice second half of the season.
The main plotline involving the car crash and stolen money was a little hundrum but I did like the secondary plotline.
I think this show is just amazing and the dialogue is fantastic! I thought the lines "Girls! He's single!" and "She has abandoned her cellphone..." (poor little cellphone!) were hilarious.

I have seen Caviezel in "The Count of Monte Cristo" & "Frequency" & "Outlander" and I like him. I do think his wooden expression sometimes is a bit tiring but generally it works for him.

The way the character is portrayed over the top works great for the show and your comment "I'd just assumed he was bulletproof or could smack bullets out of the air..." made me laugh to tears! We get to be 6 year olds watching "The Six Million Dollar Man" again! How can anything happen to our all mighty hero? ROFL!
Personally, I feel sorry for Mr. Snow. I am quite sure that Mr. Reese will be paying him a visit sometime in the future.
I absolutely love this show! My husband and I can't wait for Thursday nights. It has a good formula right now and they seem to keep it interesting and exciting each week. I hope that it is able to sustain it and that CBS keeps it on for as long as it works.
Every week I fall more in love with this show! I, honestly, look forward to POI each week, whether there's a new episode on or a rerun. Thursday's episode was terrific. There was suspense, Reese being a sexy badass, new mysteries (who are the CIA guys, really?), and Finch got to get out of the "office". I can't wait to see what happens next!
Nice episode....keep them coming guys
This is the best new drama in years! I never knew an AK47 or whatever gun that is could be so hot. I thought the funniest line last night was the Det. Fiasco one. I am furious with Carter though, she has a lot of redeeming to do.
It was a very good episode and that final moment between them all has set up the next half of the season nicely.
This show is excellent is so many ways! It blends cool one liners, a tinge of humor, yet seriousness and bad ass action! I love Reese and Finch, they play off each other amazingly, and and the past and drama unfolds slowly, it just sucks me in!

One of THE best of the year!
A sherman tank and a flock of angry ostriches? GENIUS. This was a great episode I am not sure how the change of dynamic is going to play out next year. But really I can't wait. I love that there is two potential big bads after him now. One in Elias and one in his former playmates at the CIA. Who want him back with them so they can lock him in a pen and unleash him on to some chump of a terrorist so he can beat the holy crap out of them.

But the interesting aspect is going to be Carter and her crisis of faith in trying to maintain herself as a good person. And where she puts herself in the guild that Finch and Reese are slowly putting together. But whichever way it goes, it is going to be interesting. And it is going to keep me coming back to this show week after week. This is how a show is done. It leaves you wanting more. NOW. I don't want it do go on a holiday hiatus. I want it on next thursday so I can see what happened with Reese. We know he isn't dead. Because they weren't going for the kill. But dammit I want to know now.

Such a great episode and just a great show. NBC and Fox could learn a thing or 10 from CBS. If this had been on NBC it wouldn't have been cancelled just like Prime Suspect to make room for something stupid.
Another strong episode. I don't think the show has had a bad episode yet, but the last 4-5 episodes in particular have been really great. I love that this episode kind of focused on the strengthening relationship between Reese and Finch. This isn't just a work relationship anymore that teeters on slight friendship through their playful jabs; Reese was considerably pained and shocked for the few seconds he thought Finch may have gotten blown up, and Finch was more than willing to sacrifice his own safety to get to Reese when he thought Reese was dying. So that was great, the action scenes were well done, the plot was cool, the dialogue mixed in a good dose of humor, and maybe for the first time, I was actually a little entertained by the "camera" shots.
This ep was again brilliant and I can't get enough of the exchanges between 'Lionel' and 'Mr. Reese' - Carter though.... she's got to go... let's send her away somewhere... Maybe Miami, she can join all the awful people in Laguerta's department
I never understood the producers choice on this one: Taraji Henson just doesn't fit with the rest of the cast and she doesn't fit the character that she plays either. As you say, she definitely would fit better with the Miami Metro bunch.
My questions would be: Is Reese's old handler really dead; why is one of the CIA agents after Reese named after the composer of The X-Files theme; and is there some reason someone at CBS programmed an episode of CSI guest-starring Wendy Crewson one night and a POI episode guest-starring her husband Michael Murphy the next? And if part the novelty of "Number Crunch" was supposed to be that the machine spit out several numbers at once, why have a line that makes it sound like Reese and Finch have had to deal similar situations in the past?
The title refers to Reese's past with the CIA, not his past with the machine. As for your other questions, Will Arnett and Amy Poehler appear on subsequent nights every week on NBC. It's not that weird, dude. Just a coincidence. Don't know how to answer your first two questions. Ask Jonathan Nolan.
I think you misunderstand me. Finch in the opening scene makes a comment about "when the machine gives us multiple numbers..." or words to that effect, whereas the episode summary, including the one on TV.com made it sound like a unique event. And Will Arnett and Amy Poehler are regulars on their own show, so it's not really the same thing. Plus, I think Fiona Flanagan, who played one of the cops on Hard Copy (a CBS show), had a birthday this week.
It sounded like a unique event because it was a unique event, both for the show and for Finch and Reese. It was the first time Finch and Reese had encountered a cluster of numbers. Finch did say "when the machine usually gives numbers like this, there's some connection". Finch created the machine, remember? He's giving Reese his interpretation of why he thinks the machine gave them four numbers. It doesn't mean the two have encountered the situation before. Finch might have seen it happen, but this was the first time he's actually doing something about it.

I still don't get why it's so odd for spouses to appear on subsequent nights on a network. Even if they are guest stars. And..uh..happy b'day to Fionnula Flanagan!
Load More Comments