Person of Interest's Season 2 Premiere: Two Point Oh Yeah!

Person of Interest S02E01: "Contingency"

Given the amount of time we spend watching television and the commitments we make to our favorite programs each week, it's not that ridiculous to compare our relationships with TV shows to friendships. And like friends, the ones you want to hang out with the most are the ones who don't pretend to be something they're not. We like authenticity in our friends and shows, and we're more drawn to the ones that accept who they are and embrace it. We don't have time for bullshit.

The great return of Person of Interest last night reminded me that this CBS drama knows who it is more than just about every other show out there. It's serious when it needs to be, it shoots people when it wants to, but it has a silly side that's just as important to its prime directives as everything else. It's like a secret service agent with one of those squirting trick flowers in its lapel, and that's why it's so darned comforting.

Last night's Season 2 premiere, "Contingency," was vintage Person of Interest amplified, showing off its trademark combination of complex intrigue (where's Harold Finch?), creative action (John Reese plugging a trio of Aryan Brothers with their own gun), and clever innovation (how awesome was that Season 1 "recap"!?!?!) in bigger ways than ever before. Just when you think you have a handle on this show, it winks at you and says, "Not yet, kiddo." I say this in my POI reviews more often than I need to, but it bears repeating because it still amazes me: This isn't supposed to be happening on a CBS procedural.

"Contingency" kept things rolling with the events of the incredi-balls Season 1 finale, "Firewall," with Finch in the clutches of Root (Amy Acker) and Reese crossing his fingers and talking to a security cam, hoping the Machine would lend him a whatever-it-is-computers-have-instead-of-hands. In talks I had during the off-season with the stars and producers, I was under the impression that Finch and Reese would be teamed up again in no time, so I'm giving the series a lot of credit that the two weren't reunited by the end of last night's episode. Too often, pivotal events from season finales are all but erased in the following season premiere in order to reset things and put the show back in its comfort zone. Well, Person of Interest just put on a suit of porcupine quills, because so far, Season 2 is anything but comfortable for its leads.

Instead, we got a Machine-centric episode that detailed its relationship with Finch and explained why it wasn't spitting out Finch's latitude and longitude to Reese. And what an awesome relationship it is! Throughout Season 1 we've knew the computer was getting smarter, and that info was delivered in the simplest of ways. The interstitials of watching the computer work—locating a crook, finding some floor plans, etc.—slowly got more and more complex until we were looking at something space-aged, with detailed 3-D effects and calculations whizzing by like a high-speed freeway of numbers. But it wasn't until last night that we got concrete proof that the Machine is a complex artificial intelligence system, capable of thought and reason. I don't know if it really changes the show that much, because we already figured the Machine was more than just a social-security-number-retrieving system, but to watch it work and think was a statement by the show saying, "This is how it's going to be now."

How fun were those flashbacks? Even the opening webcam view of Finch peering into the Machine and asking it to identify him ("Admin" is computer speak for "Daddy") brought new life to the Machine and added to its character. It was as if Finch were treating it like a child in training to become a calculating assassin, teaching it how to behave and even scolding it when it became too attached. The Machine cares (or, at least, cared) about Finch at one point enough to focus all its processing power on keeping Finch safe. The "Stay" text messages following the awesome Blackjack excursion to keep Finch from being run over were downright moving, for God's sake, and Finch's stern reprimanding of the Machine to keep its eyes on everyone, not just Finch, showed the capabilities of the Machine to understand and Finch to maintain his unwavering mission to make his creation the best at what it was built for. This episode was some of the best work the show has ever done, and it's the most personality a box of nuts and bolts has had since Wall-E.

All this conditioning of Senor Maquina to keep its eye on the prize (oh, just saving the world one person at a time, NBD) made Reese's task of finding Finch that much harder. The Machine, trained not to prioritize Finch, gave Reese the number of a new person of interest (unbeknownst to Reese), and there we had our case of the week while still keeping up with the story of Reese trying to find Finch. Have cake, eat cake, producers.

This led Reese to stumble upon Leon (Ken Leung), one of the greatest POIs the series has had, thinking Leon had received word on how to find Finch. But Leon was just an accountant who'd skimmed off the top to the tune of $8 million from the Aryan Brotherhood, forcing Reese to realize that Reese is the Machine's mysterious "contingency plan." Even with Finch out of the picture, the Machine will continue trying to make the world a safer place. Only this time, it was Reese who was taking weird phone calls. Reese's realization that he was going straight back to work was priceless.

The rest of that case was pretty straightforward: Reese said some awesome things in his labored-breath murmur (Reese: "You know, the guy who owned this badge probably would have made that deal. But I'm not him." Thug: "So who are you?" Reese: "The guy who shot him and stole his badge." BOOYAH! Now you're all getting shot!), Reese shot some guys, and Reese spoke Dutch to a dog. Wait, what? Yes, Person of Interest cherishes its silliness, and the scene in which Reese commanded White Power's newly acquired attack dog because he knew from his special forces days that the particular breed was exclusively trained in Dutch, was pure ridiculousness. But it was also so in line with the spirit of the show that it was awesome. And that's the fine line Person of Interest marches on defiantly, that balance between gritted teeth and tongue-in-cheek humor, and it does it so sparklingly well that you can't help but ecstatically laugh and clap your hands. This is pure entertainment, no more, no less.

So does Reese have an attack dog now? If so, the dude will be unstoppable. Just a man, his dog, and his stubborn computer friend making America a safer place! But who will take care of Bear while they're in Texas? These are the important questions.

The other part of "Contingency" involved Root and Finch sitting across from each other at various tables, with Root proving that she's the other side of the super-intelligent computer genius coin to Finch's well-intentioned vigilante. Root is crazytownbananapants, an insane outcast in the packaging of the girl next door. If I've got this right, she's similar to Finch but solves the same problems in a different way. Whereas Finch looks to protect the innocent and vulnerable, Root prefers the same results to come from the opposite approach: She seeks to punish the wicked ("We're just bad code," she said, getting some amazing nerd-cred dialogue). Their two ideas will often intersect—sometimes protecting someone means hurting someone else—but their intentions are miles apart. Finch good, Root evil. I'm not entirely sold on Acker in this role, but because I am in love with her (it is humanly impossible for anyone not to be in love with her), I will ignore any issues I may have because she's so gosh-darn cute and she's earned a role like this.

Root's intentions with the Machine are clear, but not quite crystal. She's interested in "freeing" the Machine and accused Finch of handing it over to the most corrupt people imaginable (the government). But what does she mean by freeing it, exactly? Does she just want it to get out of the clutches of the government for all to see? Is she going a little too far with this anti net neutrality thing? Does she want to use it herself for her own plans? Or, as she says, is she simply bored with life as it is and so wants to see what happens if it's "released"? I'm not sure, all I know is that not only did she give that tax-evading, adulterous rich lady a bad case of the shakes, she also went after her man with a syringe to the neck. This woman can hold a grudge.

One scene I'll retrace my steps over and over on was the one with Reese, pursued by angry white folk with swastika tattoos, negotiating with the Machine to bend its rules and put him on the path to find Finch. Reese put the Machine on the spot, telling it that if he dies, no one will be able to take its calls and save the world, and that was enough for the Machine to cough up Root's social. Well, more specifically, her past life as a runaway teen in Texas. It was a corny scene (Jim Caviezel having a one-way argument with a security cam) that was also tense, perfectly encapsulating what this show is all about: batshit craziness that's so damn fun to watch. It's good to have you back, Person of Interest.

NOTES

– I'm a little undecided about how the computer gives Finch numbers—through the Dewey Decimal System—but given Finch's love affair with books, it makes sense, doesn't it? "Finch, you sly dog."

– Finch's Verizon-esque "Can you hear me now?" tests with the Machine in flashbacks to 2002? HILARIOUS.

– As for the also-awesome Blackjack scene, was the computer just using basic Blackjack strategy or was it doing something else? I couldn't really tell. And I love that Finch went all-in and didn't take the Machine's advice at the end, because he isn't in it for the money.

– I love it when the action takes place out of view, and Reese calmly walks out. Last night it was a shot of the exterior of a building, a racist thug crashing out the front window, and John, Leon, and Fusco strutting away. It was very reminiscent of a famous scene from Steven Soderbergh's The Limey, one of my favorite movies.

– Fusco and Carter were relegated to doing Reese's busy work and showing up in the nick of time to save his life. I like the characters on a personal level, but I'm wondering about their relevance to the series other than acting like Reese's gofers. But strangely enough, I'm not that concerned with exploring their backstories or giving them their own threads, because Reese and Finch and the Machine are still very strong. If Fusco or Carter died, I don't think it would be a big loss.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Good review, save the last part. Carter's role on the show is split between being his inside person on the force and more importantly being Reese's conscience. She keeps him from passing the Moral Event Horizon. Last season the best example was the guy who ended up in the Mexican prison. Reese made sure Carter knew he did not kill him. So she will stay relevant in that role.

Fusco's constant back and forth between being the hero and doing the dirty work wears on him and he usually get's the deep cover jobs. Besides whereas Reese treats Carter like a partner. Fusco is more of a sidekick. Including the constantly needing saving. It's the little things like this that keep him and Carter relevant.
Freeing the Machine will result into Eagle Eye [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059786/]
My favorite line in this episode was probably when Reese said he was looking for his friend, see I don't have many friends, just the one actually. And then Fusco is like Hey! So Reese said, okay, maybe two. So funny. Reese is awesome.
POI is the best show on TV because Jim Caviezel is in it and because the writers have him do what he does best...kick the derrieres (that's French for a..) of the bad people and look absolutely gorgeous at the same time. Thank you CBS and thank you Jim Caviezel for being you!
Not just Dewey Decimal numbers, but the specific ones tied to the set of books on Finch's hallway shelf. Also hilarious how Finch didn't need to write down the info last season ("No Good Deed"), but Reese is scrambling to make a note. Granted, Finch wasn't dodging bullets from psycho Third Reich-worshipping bikers either. (Side note to david2188: Like most computer info, the order is "the order in which it was received")

Agreed on Carter and Fusco, as I'll grieve more personally if Bear dies. But, like Reese said, Fusco is like a fungus--you can't get rid of him. And Carter's bail-out moment cemented her longevity, as Nolan had not intentions of killing off a female character from his summer movie screenwirting either. (Love the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises references, especially Nolan's ability to again inject humor into something that worked on a dramatic level--like the interruption of the grandiose speech that was being given by the massively muscle-bound ringleader as he pummeled our hero.)

One question--where the bleep is Zoe? Granted, she is a guest character and only useful for connections that she could ID (which probably are nil as Root is obviously good at flying under the radar and covering her tracks with what is likely a string of cold cases), but you'd think she'd be concerned for Finch, or at least concerned for John's safety in tracking him down. (Ok, breathe--I'm sure JN just hasn't gotten around to that part yet.) :)

Finch is on his game--quietly observing Root most of the time, and figuring out that the way to take her down may well be playing to her massive ego by pretending to confide in her.

Does Root seriously plan to take down the remaining four government officials who know about the Machine (and is Weeks dead or merely incapacitated)? (Remember from "No Good Deed" that there were originally only eight people who knew about it, counting Finch, Nathan, and Alicia--but Reese, Stanton (in "Matsya Nyaya") and Peck (in "No Good Deed") of course added three more.) If so, Root's full-blown Joker/Talia al-Guhl wackadoodle-ness has reached a new height, and this ride just got awesomely wilder!

I am in the midst of confusion. How does Reese know the order to arrange the books? A reply is greatly appreciated.
This show is awesome ! enough said .
Wow, that bad guy flying out the window and bouncing/rolling on the ground! I watched that part 3 times, OUCH!

Root is a creepy, scary psychopath (Amy put on a few pounds and looks lovely!) I prefer Carter over Fusco, but there are things Fusco would do that Carter wouldn't, so both are needed IMO. I hope to see more of the dog!
watched it three times as well!
Your wrong about that last statement if one of them died it would be a a great loss to the show. Carter and Fusco been there since the beginning killing one of them would be Nolan and Greg biggest mistake. I love both of them. Actually all 4 four them. Fastastic Four!
Carter: What are you going to be doing?

Reese: I'm not sure. Math, I think.

How funny was that?? I love this show.
"I'm not sure, all I know is that not only did she give that tax-evading, adulterous rich lady a bad case of the shakes, she also went after her man with a syringe to the neck. This woman can hold a grudge."

That's not quite true. It's not a grudge. The man was the target all along. If you paid close attention, that man was one of those people involved in the Machine. He said on the phone he needed a few days to "take care of personal business" which was his mistress sending him an emergency text, but that was actually Root sending the text to lure him and take him out.
Anyone else noticed the similarities between using dutch commands for a trained dog, becoming the leader of the dog, and Finch training an artificial intelligence, being Admin, the leader of the system?

Opened the door to understand the relationship of Finch and the AI, without wondering too much about if it makes any technical sense.

Very well done.
-If Carter and Fusco died I think it would just impact the show. I mean they add to the tongue in cheek humor of the show and they keep Reese from being completely alienated. It's part of his journey as a character being able to have extend some level of trust, however minute that trust is, to other people. He needs that interaction, the support to carry the storylines, and it just makes for great phone. I've actually loved the interaction with both cops and how it has progressed over the series so far. I mean it was hysterical when Fusco was slightly jealous and pouting like a toddler because Reese is "nicer" to Carter, and gives her the fun stuff or more productive stuff, or enlists her help personally...and he gets all the grunt work. That line about what they call Reese had me chuckling. And as for Carter, I love how much her character has grown. I find her actually integral to the series now. She and Reese have the flirty banter on occasion, and of course she does that nagging thing that's amusing and sort of keeps him in line. But they have a mutual understanding that Reese and Finch don't have because of their similar pasts in the military and losing people, and they have a mutual respect that Reese and Fusco don't have. Some of the funniest moments come from his interaction with both detectives. I mean he popped in at Carter's house uninvited twice, his invasion and her annoyance along with their banter and her disapproval is amusing. The two of them on a trip to Texas would be hysterical.

- LOVED the premiere! I was so beyond thrilled to have the show back on. I am also happy that they didn't resolve it so quickly and that Finch is still out there. They managed to keep it unresolved but still balance out the screentime so that we weren't missing either of them because too much attention was focused on one more than the other. Brilliant. The flashbacks with the machine were some of the best flashbacks to date. Seeing the machine as an actual being...and how it all tied in from John enlisting it's help and finally giving it an ultimatum and catapulting it back into it's previous need it had to protect Finch. Wonderfully done. Root clearly is just batshizz nuts and Michael Emerson's reactions to her was fantastic! I found the whole Aryan/Accountant case amusing, so many highlights there, from Reese throwing a random dude out of a window and walking out like the badass that he is, to the Dutch commands with the dog...that I seen coming a mile away but still enjoyed immensely, to him getting slung around by that behemoth of a neo-nazi.
that's sooo true! Carter and Fusco provide the light moment and I really like the idea that they're going to compete with each other for "Daddy's" attention!

And the Carter-Reese romance is just waiting to happen!
Great episode!..great to have POI back..I missed Reese..The way he speaks, so calm, so polite ,just before he shoots or burst your kneecaps.
This episode is one of the best POI episodes until now. I loved it. I'm glad it's still rocking in season 2.

I dunno, I feel like Fusco and Carter are still a big part of this show. Sure, it would still survive if they die, but I think I'd miss both of them. I love every character in this show.

There were so many awesome scenes and dialogues in this episode. I also like the scene ( no reviewers had mentioned it yet) when the bad guys found Fusco and Leon, one of them said to Fusco," You are not that cop, they told me he is tall and well dressed." Fusco looked pissed and hurt and that was priceless. I really like this character and hopefully he will stay and have more screen time.
This episode wasn't quite what I expected it to be, but that's actually a good thing. It's great when a show can be unpredictable. And I do like the fact that they didn't rush Reese finding Finch in this episode. While it does mean that we don't get the great interactions between the two characters, I like that they're taking their time with it, and can't wait to see where that story leads. I loved seeing Reese on his own trying to find Finch. He still had a lot of bad-ass moments, like the off-camera fight scene you mentioned. It will be interesting to see how the loss of Finch changes the dynamics of Reese's other relationships. Anyway, so glad to have this show back. :D
This was my favorite show of last year, and I'm glad to see that it hasn't lost any of its greatness. I loved the last scene with Finch admitting that there were some similarities with him and Root, but stating that he would never help her. Michael Emerson brings so much awesomeness to the role.
Many of us were so disappointed / disgusted that POI had only 1 Emmy nomination (Sound). BUT congratulations to POI's amazing technical team - POI WON THE EMMY FOR

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A COMEDY OR DRAMA SERIES (ONE HOUR).

I think we all agree that they more than deserved this award! Each episode is crafted like it was a feature film - and it shows! CONGRATULATIONS SOUND GUYS AT POI!!!
According to the official Emmy Website (http://www.emmys.com/nominations/2012/Outstanding%20Sound%20Mixing%20For%20A%20Comedy%20Or%20Drama%20Series%20(One%20Hour)) the winner in that category was Game of Thrones. Next year, I hope POI gets a few nods beyond the technical categories.
You are right! I went to the same Emmys.com site and clicked on Emmy's By Program and By Network. POI was listed on both. Unfortunately, this site does not clearly state that those were NOMINEES only - not the actual winners. Their header reads like it is the complete list of winners.

Thank you for the correction!

NEXT YEAR - Person of Interest should have many more nominations - and winners!
Personally, I would have chosen "wackadoodle" to describe Root, but I guess "crazytownbananapants" works.
Actually I thought it wasn't Dutch either (I'm Dutch too), but after a discussion on IMDB i'm not sure anymore. His accent was definitely more German then it was Dutch. However, because of that accent and him probably not speaking fluently Dutch make me doubt, because Dutch and German are not that different.

In the discussion on IMDB it was said Reese spoke the following commands

"Foei", "Stil" and "Afliggen of Af/ Liggen). The last one was a wrong combination of words. However the first one isn't a German word if I'm right. And the command the dog followed with Stil should probably be "Sit", in Dutch "Zit".

So maybe it was wrong, maybe not, but it didn't change the epicness of the scene. And I loved to hear my country named in the episode
Easily my favorite show on TV next to Sons of Anarchy and Breaking Bad. What would be an interesting twist? If Reese's first name turns out to be Kyle... He even looks a bit like Michael Biehn. At some point in the series, a flashback is shown of a mainframe somewhere with the logo "skynet" on the side :)

A great combination of drama, humor and action. I often wonder why actors with significant movie careers (Brian Cranston, James Caviezel, Ron Perlman. Kiefer Sutherland, etc) go into tv. Then you start watching shows they are involved in and suddenly you realize that in many cases the tv they are making is better than most of their movies.
In a past episode (can't remember which one at the moment) Carter had Reese's old file. So she knows who he used to be. If you pause, you can see a bit of that file. It doesn't show his last name, but it does show his name to be John.
I agree with Thisismetoo, it was clearly NOT dutch, but nevertheless it was yet again an awesome show. :)
well, I'm Dutch and I just listened again to what Reese said (several times) , either it's because of his pronunciation or it's not Dutch, but it sounded more like German.

If it was Dutch he would say "staan" for stay and "Liggen" for lay down.

What I can make of what he did say: "Stehen" for stay and "auf liegen" for lay down.

"Stehen" and "auf liegen" are German.

One of the writers probably went to Germany once.... :-)
A friend of mine trains security dogs and never uses the predictable words as commands. Its an extra level of security so that random people don't walk up and give your dog commands.
My top three scenes from the season opening POI:

#3 - Reese rejecting a deal with the Aryans and shooting them with their own gun.

Absolutely ice cold goodness.

#2 - Reese giving the dog commands in Dutch and laying waste to the Aryans.

Reese got a cute doggy for a pet and the bad guys are in for lots of trouble.

#1 - Reese negotiating with the machine.

It was totally off the wall, but made absolute sense. It also made the machine appear so much more human after having Reese's character "negotiate" with it.

Comparing Root and Finch, both are brilliant but while Finch seems anchored in reality, Root seems to be one of those people who have such open minds that their brains have fallen out. She is truly dancing on the ceiling insane.
I don't usually point these out because someone almost always beats me to it, but no one has mentioned the Lost connection with Ken Leung as the POI. No mention of his line "I need to get Lost" either. He all but winked when he said it.
The dutch dog scene may have been one of the greatest tv scenes in a long time. WOW was that entertaining!
In the end the guy who got the syringe in his neck was one of the six people left who know about the machine.
I loved the episode!! Cannot get enough of it!! It was great to see Lost's Ken Leung on one of my most beloved shows!

That said, what was racing through my mind as I watched it was all the different ways Tim would try to either make the episode sound better than it was or just bash it like some of the other shows he reviews which don't deserve it. I love POI as much as the next person, but there were flaws (which I don't have any issues with). But Tim blatantly ignoring them doesn't seem right to me. Some of the inconsistencies/flaws were:

- The scene in the bar when he takes out the 4 guys - none of them had any blood on them even though they were shot! He had so many problems with that when swords didn't spill blood even though the guns did!

- Leon escaping from the police station so easily! There will be other officers who keep a check on them, especially ones with handcuffs! Its not so easy to get away!

- The machine being possibly sentient. Why not reveal that in the first half of the season instead of waiting for so long! (since he likes everything to be revealed in 2 episodes)

- The dog is awesome for an episode or two, but now that we know that the dog will be a regular wouldn't it be silly to have it tag along everywhere!

- The action taking place behind the scenes wasn't new, it had already been done in season 1. Doesn't make it any less cooler. Reese took down 10 or so guys in season 1 in a bar as well. But Tim has a problem with someone else taking down 12 guys. I don't get all the bias!

- When Reese slammed a can into that biker, where was the biker going? That was a car parking area and he was just going to run into a car at that angle.

Listen, I love everything about POI! It is currently my most favourite show along with Game of Thrones. But the reviewer not being unbiased irritates me, especially for shows which are just starting out.
I think the biker was going to make a left turn when Reese hit him with the fire extinguisher.

Nope, he just went straight to get hit.
Guys, anyone keen to explain how Reese to decipher the numbers. How did he know how to arrange Family first, uncertainty then last reflections.
I have so much love for this show, Reese and Finch. So much love. Can't get enough of it!!
Why do peaple think of SkyNet when they talk about "the machine", ofr it's more like in the movies "Eagle Eye" and "Echelon Conspiracy"

great show it's in my top 3
Terminator was a way better movie and eagle eye is so forgetable
Root is craizy, psychotic, down right loopy. She did however point out an interesting point about Finch taking away its voice. I think he left out or blocked it from using its software to synthesize speech or actually build a personality.

I might be wrong but I have always thought that the Natural progression of the show will be to expand the team, eventually have the likes of Carter and Fasco know about the mechine and work on thier own numbers with support from police who will be in complete darkness.

Root makes me Nervous, I think she might just make the machine have a GOD complex, which I guess would be the show's final Arc with the Machine turning into Skynet and the tean trying to stop it
The best season premiere so far, not a even a drop of disappointment. Eager for more.
I REALLY hope the dog is a series regular (and immortal...) maybe even replacing Finch as Reese's partner for the season.

"Who did this?" - "It was a tall, well dressed man... and his dog"
I love the addition of Bear also - he can keep Reese company and protect him too. However, I don't think anyone / anything can ever replace the great Harold Finch - now Reese's very best friend. I think Reese would agree!
And it gets no Emmy nods!!!! Something is wrong in the world of TV!
It did win an Emmy for Sound Mixing. See my comment above! : )

(But it should have been nominated for best acting, writing, cinematography, direction, and more)! POI DID win the People's Choice Award for Best New Drama!
What this show has over Breaking Bad is------HUMOR! Slyly inserted along with all the coolness! Reese is so damned cool!!!!

This show is No.1 for me, BB is 2.
oh my god! this was sooooo awesome! root's batshit crazy, but I'm sooo glad to see Reese and Finch that I really don't care... and Bear is a great addition to the cast!

Episode 2 can't get here fast enough!
So very, very good to have it back. I most definitely was sitting on my couch, squealing and clapping my hands as the episode aired.

And can we refer to Root as crazytownbananapants from now on? I think it's very fitting. Root in season one was a mystery, someone who challenged Harold and intrigued viewers. Root in season two is completely insane and that's all she has going for her. For her to work as a continued character, they really need to round her out, and quick.

As for Fusco and Carter, I agree. Right now, they're there to keep us from constantly watching Reese and the occasional clip of Finch. I've been saying since mid-season one that Reese is going to lose Fusco, which is why his comment about Fusco being like a fungus stuck out to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he walks out soon, but I would be disappointed, because Lionel's characterization is my favorite so far in the series.
without even mentioning everything fantastic about POI I just want to say "It's sooooo sexy!!!"
Here is why I think the dewey decimal system is brilliant. when most people think the DDC, they think, out dated, old fashioned. The Machine is anything BUT out dated and old fashioned, so to merge old world and new world together (plus Finch's love of books) is AWESOME. another reason I love this show, the writers, Nolan, and Plageman are all so BLOODY BRILLIANT (to be British about it)

I guess I did think of something that hasn't already been said :)
POI is an example of PREMIUM TV. Excellent. Mere praise cannot do it real justice.
You just very elegantly said - in the fewest number of words - what we all believe here. Very nice!
Live tweet by Jonah Nolan during the premier; Meet our new series regular..the DOG!!!!!! #PersonOfInterest

Bear is definitely sticking around...and I am SO EXCITED!!!!

I don't think I can say anything that hasn't already been said. I just love this show so much and I look forward to thursday night more than any night of the week. this episode just filled me with pure joy :)
I am extremely excited that Person of Interest is back! They seem to have jumped in right where they left off last season. Finch and Root seem very evenly matched brain-wise, but physically she'd drop him in a heartbeat so it will be interesting to see how their story plays out. Also, she seems hell bent on taking out people close to the machine, but seems to need Finch for something with the machine later on. And, I fully maintain that Nathan Ingram is not dead! The machine may have sensed him as a threat but, I don't think he's dead. Maybe it's him Root wants. Only time will tell. Now, for the Reese/Carter/Fusco storyline. I can't say enough about how awesome it was. The POI storyline hit the same notes as always, but as always it's the little things that make the show so awesome. I particularly liked Reese's realization of what Finch had intended for him if something ever happened to him. It all happened out loud and in the middle of realizing he needed to save Leon from the people he was sitting in a room full of. Reese is still keeping Carter and Fusco on separate jobs, Carter is helping him find Finch but Fusco is only helping him save people. The conversations between Reese and Fusco are still my favorite.
Great episode, Great review
I can't describe how much I missed them and how much I'm glad to have them back :D. A-W-E-S-O-M-E season premiere!

Amazing rhythm, brilliant humor, the various explanations, the theories that never hurts, that stupendous dog, a very beautiful character (Root)... The scene where Reese goes to save Fusco (yay, Lionel!) in the store and you hear just the noises of the shots and then you just see the guy flying out of the window is PERFECT. Pure Bud Spencer-Terrence Hill's style (just a bunch of guys that I used to love as a kid :D).

Let's give officially the start to another season where I will never know as to comment/what to say from how much enthusiastic I am. Of this series. Of these characters. Of Michael Emerson. Of Jim Caviezel.
A friend and I watch this each week and we were noting tonight that John has more enemies than anybody else...ever. In tonight's show he gained two more. On top of those he's taken down on the show you have the CIA, FBI, NYPD, HR (although they are mostly gone), Elias' gang and anybody from his past he pissed off while working for the government. Tonight they added the Aryan nation and the people behind the machine. For a man who is supposed to be dead, he has a surprising amount of people out hunting him trying to make it true.

I loved that a short, African American woman took down a giant Aryan. Fantastic! He deserved it.
i disagree about your last note...i like both Fusco and Carter and they are important to the story for different reasons... can you imagine a better scene that Fusco gagged up feeling offended when Reese said to the arian guys that Finch was his only friend, or his embarrassed reaction after exiting the building after being rescued...lol i feel like laughing just thinking about it. And now that Finch is missing Reese suddenly keeps appearing in Carter`s apartment and taking her with him in Texas ...she is the one he can count on, trust in dire situations (even he needs someone like that...Finch is not really good with guns).

And the man Root attacked at the end is one of the few people that know about the machine...she went so far as to poison the woman to get to her phone to contact him with it (she is quite extreme)... i have a feeling she is trying to hunt down all those that know about the machine and probably interrogate then kill them, that`s why she said she doesn`t need Finch`s help...just a thought
POI IS BACK!

Don't care if it was German or Dutch.. was perfect for me. I re-watched the scene for a couple of times.... :D
I'd miss Fusco if he died, half the humor on this show are based on him. I hope they can keep the balance that they have now, the writers seem to have a good rhythm going.
I would also miss Fusco if he died. Love the conversations between him and Reese.
Load More Comments