Pilot Preview: CBS's Superhero Drama Supergirl

The broadcast networks have already orderedrenewed, and canceled. They've revealed their fall schedules and released trailers for their new shows. From life-saving superheroes to life-saving doctors, to mockumentary Muppets and screaming sorority sisters, there's a wide variety of shows to choose from this fall. To help you get a feeling for what's coming down the pike, TV.com will be offering previews a.k.a. our first impressions of each new series. These previews are based on early cuts of pilots that networks released to critics and may (and probably will) change by the time they officially air in the fall, so we can't properly review them. But we can offer our quick thoughts!

SUPERGIRL

NETWORK & TIME: Supergirl takes off Mondays at 8pm on CBS starting in November, which puts it up against fellow DC Comics' series Gotham on Fox, the reality competition series Dancing With the Stars on ABC and The Voice on NBC, and the new hour-long comedy Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on The CW.

CREATED BY: The series hails from super-producer Greg Berlanti (creator of The CW's Arrow and The Flash) and Ali Adler (No Ordinary Family). Berlanti and Adler serve as executive producers alongside Andrew Kreisberg (Arrow and The Flash) and Sarah Schechter (The Flash).

STARRING: Glee's Melissa Benoist stars as the titular girl-who-would-be super Kara Danvers; True Blood's Mehcad Brooks takes on the role of Jimmy James Olsen, the former photographer for the Daily Planet and friend to Superman; Grey's Anatomy's Chyler Leigh plays Kara's perfect but-not-annoyingly-so older foster sister Alex; Smash's Jeremy Jordan is Winn, Kara's coworker and friend; and Calista Flockhart is the shining image of perfection as Kara's boss, media mogul Cat Grant.

THE GIST: Before Krypton was destroyed, Kal-El (a.k.a. Clark Kent a.k.a. Superman) was sent to Earth and his cousin Kara Zor-El was charged with his protection. Unfortunately, Kara took a wrong turn and ended up in the equivalent of a traffic jam on the 405, arriving on Earth several years later not having aged a day. By that time, her cousin had already started wearing a cape and tights and changing in phonebooths and was no longer in need of her protection. Kara concealed her identity as a child and never used her powers. Now, twelve years later, 24-year-old Kara has decided it's time to follow in her famous cousin's footsteps and will attempt to become the hero her own city needs.

SNAP JUDGEMENT: The Supergirl pilot is moderately better than the trailer that was released earlier this month, and although I didn't come away from it ready to declare the series the Next Big Thing, I also didn't want to dump it in the garbage. The trailer painted the series as a romantic comedy (complete with fashion montage!), but in full form—an hour that gives tangible evidence of how the series will operate on a week-to-week basis and teases an overarching story involving a possible big bad—the series mostly comes off like a watered down, wannabe, CBS-ized version of The CW's The Flash. That sounds like a dig, and it kind of is, but The Flash is a show I originally thought was totally cheesy but is now in contention for a spot on my Best of 2015 list. So.

The success of the show essentially rests on Benoist's back, though, so it's a good thing she fully embodies Kara and embraces the character's earnest determination. She bares a slight resemblance to Arrow's Felicity Smoak in both image and her do-the-right-thing attitude, while Jordan's character Winn really wants to be as cool as The Flash's Cisco, but isn't there yet. And this should go without saying, but Flockhart is truly a treasure.

STRAY OBSERVATIONS:

– There are plenty of references to Kara's unnamed famous cousin in the pilot and it definitely gets old quickly. Let's hope that's just a necessary symptom of it being a pilot, because if it continues, it could weaken Kara's own story as a result. Let the girl live, show!

– The effects can be cheesy when Kara takes off to fly, but that's probably to be expected. Someone is FLYING in a CAPE. Some suspension of reality is to be expected, and I bet halfway through the third episode we won't even notice it anymore.

– Look out for some fun cameos by a couple familiar faces related to the Superman mythology.

– Kara says she's been hiding her powers since her arrival on Earth, but her apartment is a lot nicer than someone who's just a lowly personal assistant, even if that person is assisting someone as fabulous as Cat Grant. If you told me Kara had used her powers to maybe steal some cash from an armored truck or knocked over the nearest West Elm and Pottery Barn stores to furnish her place, I would not be surprised. But I am totally jealous.

Will you watch Supergirl this fall?

Fall 2015 Preview:
New Shows, Cancellations, Renewals, Network Schedules, Video Previews, and More

Aug 28, 2015
Not rubbish, not brilliant but a good start to a potentially superb series. Imitating the Superman story-line and working at a newspaper may have some thinking same old plots but the the introduction of working with the Government could open unexplored avenues of story-line for this DC tv series. Hope the character looses the 'ditzyness' and becomes more rebelleious.
Jun 26, 2015
Boring .....
Jun 15, 2015
The pilot did not suck nearly as much as I thought it would. Pilots are notoriously bad and some really great shows have come from underwhelming pilots (honestly, how many of us would have kept watching Buffy-be honest). Fortunately, this pilot (although it has issues) did not make me shut it off, and I'm kind of looking forward to what the first season will offer (I'm totally calling out the fact that Kara's evil-aunt, mother-twin will at some point pretend to be her mother...I did not care for this line of plot at all, btw). Calista Flockhart was surprisingly awesome..loved her version of this world's Perry White-kind of the same hardass but not (see the "girl" speech). I adored that Jimmy prefers James and that he was in on her identity the whole time-even happier that the show addressed that knowledge and got all her cards on the table with her best friend, her sister, and Olsen..I hate when shows drag that crap out. The military ops element was kind of awesome-a nice twist that I wasn't expecting at all, and I think that the escaped convict storyline has some great potential (like the Flash and the metahumans). However, the cherry on top? Freaking Dean Cain as her stepdad. I would not and could not stop giggling. I'll definitely watch to see if it improves. I hope it does. Lord knows we need some girl power out there amidst the horde of male superheroes. Just don't make her too girl-y (does that make sense? Producers have a way of making shows aimed at women and girls way too...weepy? wimpy? under the guise of showing vulnerability). Please, please don't make this show suck.
Jun 11, 2015
My son, who is in the demographics desired by the Networks, caught the trailer and told me that it felt like a Situation Comedy where the girl had an 'S' on her chest. He was NOT impressed.
Jun 11, 2015
This was bad...really bad... I mean ally mcbi** character was the most fun part in this episode...
I hoped for a cool reboot (smallville style) but this.... And they mest upthe supergirl backstory.
Jun 11, 2015
I don't really like the concept of Supergirl... In future we may have Superboy (son of either superman or supergirl).
But the pilot (leaked one) was good and I do appreciate the show.
I really will be watching it this fall.
Jun 10, 2015
This tv series sucks!
Jun 10, 2015
When they first announced they were going to make this show, I was really looking forward to it. Once they cast Melissa Benoist I completely lost interest. :/ I came here out of curiosity, to see if reading this would convince me to give it a try. I'm just not sure now.
Jun 15, 2015
I'd at least give it a go. I wasn't thrilled with most of the casting choices, but was pleasantly surprised at how well they all seem to gel together. Worst case scenario you lose an hour of your life which, lets be honest, work does the same thing but in 8 hour chunks..lol
Jun 10, 2015
i thought melissa did a great job. its a pilot. I think the approach is awesome, im excited for a supergirl that doesnt put her as a bitchy know it all (smallville...). im looking forward to seeing how the first season goes.
Jun 09, 2015
There's only one word to describe this show. Awful.

I like 'The Flash' but "Arrow" is nothing but 'cheesey" and a show I actively avoid, but this show is even worse. It's not a comic book show, it's a terrible, girl/power show with some special effects. (At some point, I'm guessing there's going to be a musical montage of pop music where Kara and her (in the closet) guy-pal go on a shopping spree, stopping for frappuccino's or to giggle at nothing).

There are so many problems with this show (Cat Grant, Jimmy Olsen, the "escaped zone criminals"...) that I'm really not going to care one way or the other when it gets cancelled because bad television like this just drifts into my personal blind-spot (just like Arrow)

Then again, I have to thank DC for making this easier. While I still watch The Flash, despite Wentworth Miller is terrible, Dominic Purcell is terrible...it will be easier for me to stop watching Flash altogether. No doubt, they'll try to "up" Supergirl's ratings by doing some sort of cross-over....and NOBODY wants that!
Jun 09, 2015
You know, they said they were hiding her identity, but it seems like someone in her family let the cat out of the bag since that government agency knew all about her. Did her foster parents or foster sister tell on her? What was going on there?

Random thought - how does she have pierced ears? Did they pierce them with kryptonite? How does she wear standard earrings?

I'm not digging this version of Jimmy (excuse me, James) Olsen. He seems smug and overly confident, and it's not very attractive. Plus, what gave her cousin the right to reveal her identity? That should be her choice, not his. It seems like everyone in the free world knows who she is. Why did he need to know? Because he's the love interest? *rolls eyes*

The pilot was better than that cheesy rom-com trailer, so I'll give it a chance in the fall. I still think it could have been better, though.

Jun 09, 2015
just think they should have hidden her identity
Jun 08, 2015
Jun 09, 2015
I actually like how she looks a lot. I think she looks super sweet and I honestly think we are due to have some more realistic looking women. Down with the hollywood bimbos. Why would Supergirl HAVE to look like a femme fatale ? Her character lacks confidence and is full of self-doubt, so she can't look like Vandervoot, it would clash. Also I hope this will be different from Flash. I would like them to explore the personal dilemmas that being a superhero entails, especially now that we have a female superhero.
Jun 08, 2015
The biggest problem I see for the show is the fact that DC wants to keep their TV universe and their movie universer completely seperate. And that is especially true when it comes to their two big guns Superman and Batman. For example, I seem to remember reading once that Arrow and Flash aren´t even allowed to use the name Metropolis and Gotham City because that woud somehow infringe on the movie universe. Just as Gotham will never be allowed to use the name Batman.
So I´m pretty sure that we will never actually see Superman make a cameo in this show. They probably won´t even refer to him as Superman let alone Clark Kent. So it will always be her "cousin" when he is brought up.
Storywise the thing I will be interested to see is the fact that if there is some great danger to Earth, how will they explain the fact that her much more famous cousin Superman won´t be actually there to help? is there always going to be TWO immediate threats to the planet that have to be dealt with at the same time?
I´m still interested to see where the show goes after the pilot and like always give it at least 3 or 4 episodes to catch my interest.
Jun 08, 2015
Why do people still say this? There's a reason why they don't connect and that's due to the quality of the shows vs. the big screen. There's no way Arrow would work as a connection to the DCU films.. Sure, it's a decent enough show, but is it ever cheesy, especially when it comes to combat.
Jun 09, 2015
I didn´t say they should be connected. Hell, the connection between Agents of SHIELD and the Winter Soldier almost killed the show because nothing was happeneing on that show while they were waiting for the movie to be released.

It´s just that they keep both universes so extremely seperated that they can´t even use Gotham City or Metropolis in a sentence on TV. And I wouldn´t be surprised if on Supergirl you will never once hear them call Superman by his name. He will always be the 'cousin'. I´m not saying Melissa Benoist should suddenly show up in the next Superman movie. But DC doesn´t have to be quite as harsh about keeping everything seperated.
Jun 08, 2015
People aren't complaining it's not connected. People are complaining because even if they aren't connected and exist as seperate universes, DC doesn't allow them to use certain characters that overlap. e.g, Harley on Arrow was pulled because of the movie.
Jun 08, 2015
I'm reserving judgement for the 4-episode-test... I kind of did not like Arrow either at the beginning, very cliched characters and plot points, and it did take 4-5 episodes before I started to really enjoy it without cringing.(SPOILERS AHEAD)
I was entertained but not hooked by Supergirl. As other people have said there are really weird plot holes the size of Alabama, and at the same time they manage to over explain many things, thus killing our curiosity! I understand they want to start with a bang and establish the series pattern, but mysterious organization could have staid mysterious a tiny bit longer and the villains are just plain uninteresting and would have benefited from more mystery too! They can still do a better job, I don't mind a romantic style comics hero, was not bothered by the special effects and the actress does a really nice job. Fingers crossed!
Jun 09, 2015
Hehe - I'm from Alabama so your comment made me laugh :)
Jun 07, 2015
I thought it was fun, maybe needs a boost in the FX department, but yeah, fun filled... non serious fun!!!
Jun 06, 2015
Apologies in advance, but this was bad. Like painfully bad. It was written with all the heavy-handedness of a man that desperately wants to be seen as a feminist but to whom feminism doesn't come natural. I literally physically cringed with each shoe-horned comment aimed at what they believe to be the feminist demographic. The throw-away line from a waitress praising that her daughter will finally have a role-model, the speech and debate regarding the Supergirl name, the whole exchange about her being a girl during the climatic battle....to which the sister said, "That's what we're counting on", before ending the fight in a way that didn't rely on her being a woman at all. And, most of all, the scene where she announces that she is not wearing a skin-tight, uber-revealing costume that has been designed for her.....whilst posing in it.

The fact that the costume was designed by Winn, though, should really be no surprise. Given that he came across as a hugely misogynistic sleaze! Seriously! I think you were spot on with your analysis that he really wants to be the Cisco of the group. But he isn't, and I suspect never will be. The actor seemed capable, but he was severely let down by the writing. I mean, designing that outfit in order to, essentially, perv on his crush. And then declaring that, "Oh, you're a lesbian. That explains why you are not into me!" Just ugh. I, at this moment in time, cannot see myself liking this character at all.

Couple that with the equally heavy-handed attempt at mystery at the end, with the mystery kryptonian announcing twice in one sentence that Kara is her niece in order to try and force a gasp of shock, and I cannot see me becoming as invested in this show as I am in Arrow and The Flash. Which is a shame, as I do actually think Melissa Benoist was extremely charming in the dual-role and, as you said, Calista Flockhart was actually brilliant and much better than the trailers or hype-machine would have you believe.
Jun 06, 2015
I was kinda put off watching by the advert - It reminded me of a 'serious' (as in non-spoof) version of the Scarlett Widow SNL sketch where she goes looking for love in the city. I might wait until TV.com do a 4 episode test to see if it is worthwhile.
Jun 06, 2015
Kaitlin does a good job here of giving credit where it's due but expressing reasonable reservations (whether I agree with the specifics remains to be seen as I'm not watching the trailer or seeking out the pilot in advance). My feelings about this show have been neutral. I'm glad there's going to be an attempt at a female superhero, somewhat encouraged by the creator list (though maybe Berlanti is spreading himself too thin and I'd rather he attend to his first DC child for a bit), and the time slot they've announced will work well for me because Gotham never won my heart. On the other hand, I was never a comic reader so I'm not chomping at the bit for any characters in particular, and while I've really enjoyed the comic renaissance I'm concerned about oversaturation in general and a little sad that SuperGirl is coming along just when the general public might be getting a little burnt out on this stuff. I have zero familiarity with any of the younger cast members, which might be good, though I agree on my slight familiarity that Jimmy is supposed to be young and enthusiastic and naive, maybe even a little nerdy, and I don't see how Brooks can play anything but a big old male model/smoothie, but we'll see. (You see children, there was a time when a 'smoothie' wasn't a frozen drink and referred to a handsome charming man with highly refined manners and a gift for influencing naive young women into relinquishing their virtue. He might even tempt her with chocolate bars and nylons. Now have a nice hard butterscotch and go play outside while I watch my stories.)
Jun 05, 2015
Wow, "can't act and awful" is very harsh, it sounds personal. Melissa did a great job, this would be my first time seeing her act and I think she did just as good of a job then any of the others or better. I look forward to see more of her acting and the show.
Jun 03, 2015
I just watched the pilot and as expected everyone was great except Melissa Benoist. She cant act. She is awful. The show was cheesy but watchable. I mean a girl who had no fighting training her whole life tries to fight an alien prisoner? Of course she will loose. He is almost as powerful as she is. Then there is this wall on the power plant just so they can put someone through. And people at headquarters applauding after she wins? How cheesy is that. I am not sure whether to watch the show or not. I really dont like Melissa, she was horrible in Glee and she is bad here. All the other actors are great so maybe I can endure her?
Jun 07, 2015
Mind you... Man of Steel had no training either when he went up against a General AND his second in command and he got the beat down but didn't quit, so maybe it's how she learns to fight the enemy by going full on like MOS did!, experience their power and strength and what she's up against... she's still yet to wreck a whole city though like her cousin did!!!
Jun 02, 2015
She looks so different without the glasses.
Jun 02, 2015
I have two questions about the pilot that I think are worth discussing. Mostly I'm interested in what others think because to me these are huge holes in the story and its universe.

1) Why is Kara acting ditsy in a Clark Kent way, before her true identity is known, and even in moments when telling people the truth?
In Superman, this is the cover because everyone knows Superman already. When he tells people the truth, he talks as Superman, not Clark.

2) Why is no-one in Kara's office concerned that soon after the reveal of Supergirl, it is known there are aliens powerful enough to fight with her?
The whole speech from the secret organization guy was that the world should not know the existence of aliens. Yest Kara's friend is fine with 'fighting aliens in the desert', which he saw on the internet.
Jun 01, 2015
I have to admit, some of the best laughs I get all day are reading comments about series that haven't aired yet. This season one pilot was "leaked" 6 months ahead of time, presumably so CBS can get an idea of what to change about it before it actually airs, and it has everyone thinking they can write a better series. Let's go over a few things I've read so far...
1. Fighting skills - This is the first fight Supergirl has ever been involved in. While I'm sure most of you remember fighting like Muhammad Ali your first time around, I would bet you looked more like a 4 year old battling a pinata instead of a prizefighter.
2. Super suave Jimmy Olsen - This is not the kid Superman met when he came to Metropolis. This guy has obviously been around a bit and, hey, everyone grows up eventually (some later than others...read the comments below).
3. Kara acting like a girl instead of a hero - Duh! It's her first time.
4. Her getting skills the first episode instead of taking a season to learn them - OK, make up your mind. If it took all season you'd complain about that too. She's had the skills all along and just hasn't used them. Pay attention.
For the most part I liked the episode except for where she told that clown at work who she really was. Huh? What part of "secret identity" doesn't she get? Also I think they can make her a little less bumbling Clark Kent and more like a real 20 something woman.
Jun 02, 2015
supergirl is not smallville, she would have gone through the same thing clark must have done when he was growing. she has not had or needed the training that clark had. I liked the pilot.
Jun 01, 2015
The reviewer may not want to come down on either side of this new DC Comic Book inspired TV series with just one episode out but I have no such qualms.

I began watching the pilot with a decent amount of comic book knowledge (meaning I know Supergirl and some of her history but I am in no way a fan of the franchise) having seen other iterations of the Girl of Steel. But I came to this series with little expectations... I had not seen the trailer nor had I heard who was to be in and who was making the program.

That all being said I WAS DELIGHTED by the first episode... I caught the nods to previous Super Family media (most notably the addition of Dean Cain & Helen Slater as Kara's adopted Earth parents) and found the Devil Wears Prada job experience of Kara's to be an excellent way to ground the series.

Having Kara/Supergirl imminently have people in the know, about her secret, as well as a great goal with mysterious aspects to it was an excellent way to keep us on board for the run. DC's recent move to live-action television has been rather good, all around, as they seem to have learned well the lesson of failed Super Hero programming.

Finally as a testament to how into the fan community is, I should point out that I have seen over a dozen post across the web where people are asking "Does a cape really help with control when flying?"

This show started off with strong acting, plot and characters. It was well produced and has given viewers a Supergirl who's more than just Superman in a skirt... which, lets be honest, is the way most of us with only casual comic book knowledge see the Last Daughter of Krypton.

I am eager to see more and not a all afraid to test the series after 3 more episode! Up, up, and way we go...
May 31, 2015
All of the 'super hero' series make me wish I were a kid again. I dearly loved them, including Supergirl and Mary Marvel.
May 31, 2015
Nein..Just No !
May 31, 2015
I really liked it and, dare I say, found it more enjoyable than the Flash.
May 31, 2015
Enjoyed the show, thanks!!!
May 31, 2015
Show is a designed to appeal to

geeks who will watch any and every comic book show because it’s a comic book show and, well, they’re geeks.

And GIRL POWER& BABY! I mean really! Almost every scene is OMG WOMEN RULE! WOMEN ROCK!!!! YEAH!!! Except of course for the JAMES olsen eye candy shots. My guess, he will take his shirt off in episode three at the latest. But heh, GIRL POWER!!!! Can I say that again? GIRL POWER!!!!!! I get it; it’s a show with a female super hero. after all it IS CALLED SUPERGIRL. I would not expect the hero to be a guy. NO need to be like One Big Happy where they had to tell us every 30 seconds the blonde was a lesbian. I Get It!

Story sucks, acting sucks, but then it is a comic book show. Maybe, they could spruce it up by adding a Ka-Pow or a Blam-O on the screen during the fight scenes. As of now, it is gossip girl saves the day. not interested

If this thing pulls down scorpion’s ratings, it will be gone faster than the millers. Or quickly moved to another night and time.
Jun 09, 2015
Hmm. Now you know how most women feel about all the male superheroes and male-driven action movies. OMG! DUDEBROS RULE!!!! DUDEBROS 4-EVAH!!!! DUDEBRO POWER!!!! Chicks around for DiD purposes and eye candy, showing the boobage. YEAH!!!! Let me say it again - DUDEBRO POWER!!!!

Maybe you didn't mean to come across as a misogynistic tool, yet here we are. Was the pilot heavy handed with some of the girl empowerment messages? Yes. Would I prefer that it be more subtle? Yes. But honestly, many male-driven superhero shows/movies or action movies also lack subtlety. Maybe you just don't notice because it's so ingrained in our culture that that's a man's world, whereas as the concept of female empowerment gets brushed off as a feminist political statement. I have four nieces - don't they deserve a bit of girl power?
Jun 09, 2015
First, just an FYI, but guys don't used phrases like "DUDEBROS" - "DUDEPRO POWER" and never use "4-EVAH" in any way shape or form.

Second, comic books ARE male-driven but there are still plenty of positive female influences.

As a man that grew up reading comic books, you have to accept that people (men and women) that grew up reading comic books have problems with bad TV shows and movies like this ARE going to spot the problems. This show is more about "girl power" than it is about "power". A lot of people were happy to hear about this show, but it comes off as "The Hills" or some other teen-girl show about growing up in the big city (with super powers) and dealing with "those mean government people that just won't let her be who she is, a young woman in a modern world that just wants to help people! (wah) And happens to have super powers!"

My suggestion for you, watch some recent animated shows like "Justice League Unlimited" in which you can see some episodes with Kara being both a teenage girl AND a Kryptonian. (and not this whining little twat that like to wear a cape with her hands on her waist)
More +
Jun 09, 2015
I realized after I posted that you aren't the original poster, but the original post is insulting. I'd say surely you can see that, but since you're comfortable calling women gross names in a public forum, maybe not.
Jun 09, 2015
I was being facetious with my language since you threw "girl power" all over your post like an insult to girls and women everywhere - kind of like your use of the word 'twat' - keeping it classy, I see. I'm fully aware the pilot has issues. And FYI, I've been reading comics for a long time. I've read the Supergirl comics. I've seen Justice League Unlimited. If I'd been designing the pilot, I'd have taken a different approach, though angst-ridden teen Kara isn't something I want to see either. Issues that are uniquely female should be a part of a female superhero show - she is a woman. So in that sense, some 'female empowerment' messages are acceptable. Just because you're clearly uncomfortable with a female perspective doesn't mean she should be a hero first and a woman second. I hope the lack of subtlety will be addressed, as well as some other clunky parts of the pilot, but it's a pilot. It can improve, I hope, so I'll give it the four episode test in the fall.

The main reason I replied is because your whole post was insulting and frankly ironic given what female comic fans (of which there are many) put up with from the male-driven industry. We don't have as many positive influences, and they're usually hyper sexualized for that male audience. I don't care for this version of Jimmy Olsen either, but I found it hella ironic that you were making cracks about him being there for eye candy purposes. Have a nice day.
More +
May 30, 2015
I had very few hopes for this, but think that if they do it as more of a funny sort of thing, I would watch it... It's a superhero show, though, so it would have to be reeeally awful for me to not even tune in for a few eps. :)
May 30, 2015
I completely agree on the "mediocre" part.

So far, the best thing I've gotten out of this show is how vehemently people want to tear it down. I am literally laughing when I'm reading these comments. "How dare you think that the show I thought is utter shit is actually mediocre?!?! Must be advertising!" Oh man. It's getting all Youtube up in here! Now all we need is an argument about the existance of God and this would be basically the same as Youtube comment section.

This is almost like the comments on every Final Fantasy XIII video on Youtube. Someone dares say that it wasn't pure shit and that it was actually "pretty mediocre" and you get an army of "true fans" mocking the person.
May 30, 2015
Just Fluff. muscle bound Jimmy Olsen - 98 pound Amanda Waller - Skinny Wonderwoman, If you people re-write all this stuff then it holds no interest for me at all.. the point is you don't have any original ideas so re-writing comics is where you are at. And you have no idea how to do that.
They just made this Snl Spoof into a series and called it SuperGirl

Jun 06, 2015
Oops. saw this comment after posting mine. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed! :-)
May 30, 2015
Really wasn't impressed but maybe the show will learn from the mistakes and change up the dynamics of the story. One idea, get rid of superman with a mysterious plot like he's disappeared and she wants to find out where and looks for clues throughout the whole season to learn he's being held prisoner (brainiac, phantom zone, warworld, anything!) but she wants to be a hero to stop the escaped prisoners of the phantom zone since he's gone.
Jun 02, 2015
I had the same thought on another forum about superman disappearing and she gets called to the fortress .
May 30, 2015
I liked it, it wasn' t perfect. I will be watching along with all of the people here who claim to hate it.
May 30, 2015
The trailer looked terrible. And you said the pilot was better than the trailer which is a good thing, but overall you said its mediocre so I still can't decide whether I should watch the season or if I will be disappointed. I can't wait to see a trailer for Jessica Jones just to compare to this even though its completely different characters and tone.

I might just check out the pilot and then see if I will continue on, but I'm not feeling so much excitement for the show based on everything I've read about it. But who knows maybe it can turn around and be an amazing show, I have seen a lot of mediocre pilots become great shows. But I hated the tone of the trailer and if the show has that same tone I probably won't like it.
May 30, 2015
Supergirl parts were decent, but Kara's parts. Meh!
May 30, 2015
We've seen this before. Bastardize various aspects of popular shows but make the cast prettier. Literally, there's some form of eye candy for everyone.
Though entertaining at points, the episode was more annoying than anything. The girl power feminism laced into every other scene was overbearing. Yeah, and Jimmy Olsen looks and acts more like a super hero than a quirky photographer. And yet another escape super prisoner storyline. But why does a super villain who can beat up a Kryptonian need to run from a silly helicopter?
So let's mix Smallville with the Arrow and the Flash and put a short skirt on it!
I enjoyed watching the washed down and less relevant version of Felicity in her tight pencil skirts but I doubt I will stick around for more.
May 31, 2015
The girl power feminism laced into every other scene was overbearing -PREACH!
May 30, 2015
OK here goes, The Pilot was good but not the greatest. Yes they basically got the Origin story correct. Some things are a little off but it was a good opening. Yes Kara wanted to be a normal girl until she was needed or felt like she was needed. This opened her up to be the heroine that was sort of a klutz and NOOB, But still could kick some ass. Unfortunately this wasn't shown from the actress, a lot of subtle mistakes during the fight scene. The jokes kind of Ripped off from Flash and Arrow and I was like WTF seriously.

Ok so lets get onto some concerns:

Jimmy Olsen doesn't seem like Jimmy Olsen from the comics, seems like a New Character that the writers just added in with the same name but them oh this Jimmy does photos as well. And he was sent to keep and Eye out on Superman's Cousin? REALLY, hmmmm. At a certain moment I thought he was going to turn into Martian Manhunter (Which would of been awesome).

The government being involved is a bit of a throw off, because it seems like a ripoff of ARROW and ARGUS. The person running it which is obviously a villain in Superman comics but is being shown as a Government Agent looking for Aliens which he hates.

So she tells her friend who is secretly in love with her, that she is a Super hero and he makes her costume. Mmmmm yeah what makes him so special? I kind of don't see them as friends but as a possible love interest. At some points he reminds me of barry/cisco fused into one geek. Basically a Jimmy Olsen.... Oh thats who they should of used as Jimmy! Would of been a better choice.

Good choice for starter Villains until the last moment and it gets confusing because its basically the same story line from Superman Movie.

I rate it a basic 6.5 because it could be better and the actress needs to pull her shit together because this isn't GLEE you just can't flash your eyes or complain all the time and then get what you want!
will I watch HELL YES this show is going to be AMAZING
May 29, 2015
it was just terrible, over abuse of the idea she is basically a feminist... who constantly cries and says "i cant do this" then walks into a sexist conversation starter around EVERY corner, even with other women... i was litterally bored to tears within 15minutes and we where literally laughing at the corny jokes and conversation points by the end of it, please do not ruin the flash by using her in the show or in crossovers it will completely change and lower the tone of the show, wasted opportunity to bring an interesting character to the screen, i dont mind that they changed her origins, but it was done so badly, she is no longer "the kryptonian power house that is as strong as superman and came to earth not knowing the language and floating around not understand how to fly" she is now your typical female clark kent, who blushes at the sight of jimmy olsen.... yeah... forgets her name and goes all googly eyed over someone that is not like his character either, recasting is fine, dont care that he is black, but i do care that he isnt a bumbling geek like he is renowned for being. overall waste of time, bad choice for the lead role, she cant pull off an action sequence to save her life, throws a punch like shes trying to throw herself against a wall, overuse of sexism while trying to make a point and failing to do so, her sister literally at one point says "oh why because she is a woman?" questioning someone, then supergirl 2 seconds later goes... "i cant do it" yeah well done, she spends most the film crying and eating ice cream..... i guess thats what.. girls want.. from supergirl? lol i dont.

May 29, 2015
Too much pc crap in the show that I can not see the plot in the pilot
They made a felicity super girl not a serious super hero show
May 29, 2015
Watered down version of the Flash seems pretty accurate. I like that they aren't really bothering with the secret identity angle. It's pretty much what, one single main character that doesn't know by the end of the pilot? The effects seem a little sub par compared to Flash, but eh, it's also just the pilot episode and they're still at least passable. I criticized Jimmy far too early since most of the other mediums never make him interesting. I liked the confident, experienced version of Jimmy instead of the perpetual cub photographer. Her other work sidekick guy does seem like an attempt to cash in on Cisco, but he seems the blandest out of all of them.

I actually didn't mind the references to Superman because I thought they weren't going to address the elephant in the room at all. Granted, if they keep it up constantly after the pilot it could get irritating. I'll give them credit for getting the character far more than Man of Steel did. I chalked the apartment up to trust fund money or something along those lines.

I'm willing to at least give it the four episode treatment. Seems more like a show you record and watch when there's nothing else, but eh, you never know. Certainly wouldn't be the first time a show ended up drastically improving in quality after a pilot.
May 29, 2015
Sounds like a thing. Kaitlin, what I really want to know is... how does that description jibe with your claiming it is a contender for best of the season? You make it sound like a middling simpleton of a show, watchable but clumsy, then go on to say "squee! it's da best"... I don't get this preview.
Staff
May 29, 2015
I never said it was the best, but that the series could turn out to be much better than this pilot suggests it will be. I called it middle of the road, but highlighted some good things about it, like Benoist's embodiment of the role. I never said anything that could be described as a "squee!" I think you misread my comment about The Flash at the end. I meant that it is tough to judge the show by this pilot alone, and compared it to how I wasn't too enamored with The Flash after the pilot, but then it turned out to be really good. So I'm not going to necessarily count this show out after a cheesy and mediocre pilot either.
May 29, 2015
if the pilot is anything to go on.... which is what we should be going on as it is supposed to be a representation of the style of the show, then the show is going to be beyond terrble, with bad acting, constant sexism while attempting to make out like its fighting sexism, just to turn around and have her crying and eating ice cream 2 seconds later, its an absolute joke and does nothing to represent the superhero she truly is.
Staff
May 30, 2015
Except that this version of the pilot could not at all be what airs in the fall. That's why we can't really review pilots until then. But it's not unheard of that shows can have lousy pilots and turn things around.
May 30, 2015
True, though you are giving us a preview based on that pilot.
May 29, 2015
My apologies, I misread the sentence about The Flash being on contention as Supergirl being in contention. The comparison so late in the article threw my tired brain into confusing the flash with this (tho I also am a little surprised at the flash being considered that highly).
Staff
May 30, 2015
No problem! After rereading it, it's probably a little confusing.
May 29, 2015
You can bash this Supergirl and while i wont be following u on the streets helping i agree, but when u say The Flash is not that good u might want to stop because im starting to believe u are one of those haters that dont like superhero Tv Shows because he thinks they are stealing some other amazing ideas for Tv Shows like another Criminal Minds or NCIS Texas LOL
May 30, 2015
Wow, that's quite a sentence. Also completely wrong.
May 29, 2015
Additional ellipses to follow.
May 29, 2015
Well, we just found out our first child is going to be a daughter so I reckon I'll watch this now to start building a bridge between my geeky and my feminine sides :)
May 29, 2015
lol? you will learn none of that from this show, other than "when superheroes do good, they go home eat ice cream and cry to their siblings" who knows, it MIGHT help xD
May 29, 2015
This show is for teens, ofcourse horny young and old men will watch it.

May 29, 2015
is that a joke? xD it must be, because it wasnt even appealing in THAT way, id have to stop laughing at it long enough to get horny and thats never gona happen
May 29, 2015
And you know, comic/superhero fans. That's kind of been a marketable thing lately.
May 29, 2015
This review sounds a lot like a promotion material to me. I watched the pilot and as someone who has watched a lot of superhero shows I can say that the quality of this one is abysmal. Of course, if the target audience is not the fans of DC comics and you are looking at it from the perspective of Ugly Betty, then it may have a chance. Otherwise, this show has no chance of holding the audience for more then 2 episodes. I will try with one more episode in case they remake the pilot for 180 degrees. Smallville is a really high standard for this type of shows and "Supergirl" looks more like a cosplay event.
Staff
May 29, 2015
Sorry that you think people can't have different opinions and that the only option is that TV.com is somehow "promoting" the series.
May 29, 2015
well the review IS promoting it, and the review is on TV.com.... go imagine, that someone would go to a site read a review that was nothing but a million miles away from a review of the same show most of us watched, me and my fiance where literally in tears laughing at how bad it was, that is not even an exaggeration xD
Staff
May 30, 2015
It's not a review. It's a preview of what you might be able to expect in the fall. We can't review pilots. But you also seem to have missed the part where I wrote that the pilot seemed mediocre. It's not promoting anything, just stating some facts.
May 29, 2015
Hell no. I think they should change the name from SuperGIRL to Super27YEAROLDWOMAN though as the former is very misleading. Or perhaps recast the main actress.
Jun 08, 2015
for your comment below first of u called her a girl not me. 2nd my point was she looks young for 27 so it was u that miss my point and finally she was called SUPERGIRL in the comics so make better arguements
May 29, 2015
LOL exactly what I thought although I would rename it to Super30yearoldwoman , the actress just looks far too old to be playing this character,.
May 29, 2015
too old I don't think so actually she looks too young
May 31, 2015
I wasn't even referring to how old she looks. I was referring to the actresses real age, which is 27.
May 31, 2015
27 old I don't think so!!
May 29, 2015
I liked the promo and I love every cast member! I missed Melissa on Glee, I miss Smash, I loved Calista on Brothers and Sisters but mostly my heart still breaks for Chyler's Lexie. I'm totally gonna watch this.
May 29, 2015
all i heard was "omg its the girl from glee, im gona love this" then i imagine you lived in a dreamworld for the whole show and didnt realise it was absolutely terrible xD
Jun 03, 2015
If you're referring to Glee, no, I hated it from season 4 until the finale. That didn't stop me from loving some cast members, Melissa being one of the most talented singer imo. I'm a sucker for musicals...
You could have at least read my whole comment XD
Load More Comments