Please Help a "Friend" Decide Which TV Show to Marathon Over the Holidays

So let's say I have this friend, right? Hear me out. I DO have friends. Anyway, this particular friend has a problem. He or she (because who is to say what gender this friend is? Maybe I just don't have good gender-dar) works for a major television website (could be any of them, nobody knows) where he or she makes a living writing reviews, listicles, and occasionally recaps with grammatically incorrect phrases written on screen grabs. My friend has the best job, basically!

The problem is, this friend's job description literally contains the phrase "TV expert," and he (or she!) feels very guilty about his (or her!) major, major lapses in TV knowledge. Like VERY guilty, almost as guilty about implying that he or she graduated high school on his or her resume. But unlike that little white lie, this is one that can be corrected.

See, this "friend" wants to start filling up these embarrassing gaps in TV knowledge starting this upcoming holiday break. But there are too many options to pick from! That's where YOU come in, dear reader. Please help my friend (who is me, whatever) decide what to marathon next!

Here are the most glaring omissions from my TV viewing experience. (PLEASE don't judge me, we're all human, we all make bad choices in life). So I'd be grateful if you guys would tell me what I should watch first. Whatever gets the most votes will be my next obsession and I'll follow up with my thoughts once I've finished.

Thanks in advance. Sincerely!

TV series that are over:

Deadwood

Rome

The Sopranos

Jericho

Dollhouse

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Veronica Mars

TV series that are still going:

Supernatural

Fringe

Spartacus

Justified

Doctor Who

Revenge

What do you think? Where should I begin? And if your recommendation has a caveat (i.e., "skip Season 2"), please let me know!

First two Seasons of the Sopranos...then stop...you'll REALLY want to continue, but please PLEASE stop.
I know this is an older post but if you haven't yet marathoned Veronica Mars it is a must, I just watched this series from beginning to end and cannot believe I never watched it sooner and was disappointed that there wasn't another season, the shows just awesome!
Supernatural! It took me some time to get used to it (after s1 it gets better) but now I love it! I am otherwise a TVD-fan :) Also I'd love to read your recaps on the show!
Please tell me you marathoned veronica mars!! you have to!

As for the other shows, I'd say revenge, or the first...3ish seasons of Supernatural.

What did you end up doing?
From the given list,

I'd say Veronica Mars... though I too would be marathoning it soon. And then Supernatural, only the first 5 seasons though... :)

Then you can watch Doctor Who, although I don't know if you'd like it being the critique that you are. It's so British! =) But if you watch it with childlike innocence and never mind some of the really bad season enders, I'd say it's fantastic! It's actually my guilty pleasure. I mindf**k myself with all the time jibbly wobbly.

As for the rest of the ones on the list, I've only seen Jericho and Fringe. From the show synopsis and other suggestions though, Revenge sounds really nice. =)
I too decided to go through these suggestions to see what I wanted to marathon over my Christmas weekend. I'd seen most of the shows listed with the exception of Veronica Mars so I decided to check it out. I'm over 1/2 through the 3rd season now and see why it was at the top of the suggestion box. What an amazing show! Don't understand why it only lasted 3 seasons...
Veronica Mars
Please... VERONICA MARS! Hands down.
Looking at most of the comments, Veronica Mars will win. However, you must watch Rome. It is one of the best shows ever and you can watch it quickly. Then start Spartacus, you will not be disappointed.
Veronica Mars!!! If you like Vampire diaries you should like it!!!
Hmmm....I wouldn't necessarily compare those two shows. Maybe others see comparisons there, but TVD has always been about beautiful monsters and beautiful humans falling in love and discovering that not all is what all seems in a town whose name should make it obvious that not all is what all seems...

Whereas Veronica Mars centers around a street smart teenage sleuth who can rile up the most professional person with her words alone, and has an array of well developed background characters who she interacts with from time to tim with winning dialogue, but some poor luck...oh, and Logan is ten times more loveable than Damon Salvatore, if I do say so myself. And I do. So there, people with differing opinions. Huzzah!

Okay, I'm done now. :-)
As a TVD fan and VM fan I say VM wins by a mile! TVD is pretty much a guilty pleasure show when compared to great TV shows. But that's just me...
Same here. I'm not even a TVD fan, though I can see the draw, and I do read Price's awesome recaps so I know it pretty well. They're very different shows, but VM is still the one with better...well, everything. TVD has it's highpoints, but even they seem unimpressive against the low points of VM. Which doesn't mean TVD is bad...it's just that VM is THAT good.
I wrote a lovely comment extolling the virtues of Doctor Who and it has disappeared. That seems to happen a lot. Bottom line: watch Doctor Who. The episode 'Blink' is one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. But start with season 1 (2005) and keep going. If you don't have a life you can watch it all in a few days. If usually watch 2 episodes a night, and I've already seen them all at least twice.
For a normal person, Deadwood. For you, Price, Veronica Mars, for sure. You will love it so. It is so good, for real.

You have lots of time for Justified before it restarts. Do Veronica now, and you will be wishing you lived in the fantasatically fictional county of Neptune, CA in the early 2000s.
VERONICA MARS. The picture depicting it here might be off-putting, it all looks like a very wholesome affair, but rest assured, it's a gem. If you want a teen show with amazing characters (and they're all amazing...even the main character, which hs become more and more unheard of as time goes on...Veronica is basically the best teen female character every written.), witty banter, great character interactions, intrigue, the best father-daughter relationship ever depicted on TV, hearbreaking moments, surprising moments, WTF moments, cause hey, it's (or it WAS) a CW show, then this is the for you. It is honestly the best. Cannot recommend it enough. At. All. Also, Jason Dorhing is in it. I may have spelt his name wrong. But he's awesome.

Supernatural...it depends. I mean, I've found I fall in and out of love with it. It is a great show, but can sometiems be too campy, rely too heavily on gore, but for the most part, the brothers relationship and the huge mindf**k tiwsts that they have to endure to get past Season 5, into dodgy Seasons 6 and 7, is pretty great. In fact, once you yourself see the twist that closes Season 5, I'd suggest stopping. Right there. Just assume what happens next is great and everyone lives happily ever after. Okay? Okay.

Another show I recommend is Heroes, if you haven't seen it. Season 1 only though. Like Supernatural, just imagine how everything ties up nicely after the shock, or, in this case, cliffhanger. It ain't that hard. It's pretty epic, Heroes, in Season 1.

Mad Men is a great show if you like stylish dramas with a dose of realism in terms of the lives people in positions of power lead. Also, the cast is amazing.

You probably already watch Community, but just in case...Community.

Aaaaaand I think that's it.
veronica mars for sure!
DON'T watch anything that is still on-going, if you're like me and hate being kept in the dark about what's gonna happen next. That said, you SHOULD watch Dollhouse, Terminator and Jericho if, like me, you're quite lazy and watch things with only two seasons, however, as these shows were cancelled after two seasons we may never know how they truly end.
Veronica Mars is fantastic and short. Doctor Who is EPIC. Though there are more seasons of DW, they are shorter than the American TV show seasons. Revenge is a good new show, still waiting for it to tell us what is all about.
Definitely should be Veronica Mars!
My favourites from this list are Veronica Mars, Supernatural, Fringe and Doctor Who so those would be my votes. Based on the shows you already like though, I would probably start with Veronica Mars or Supernatural. I'll be attempting to marathon Deadwood, Justified, Rome, Jericho and The Sopranos myself on my holidays as I have heard these are good.
Fringe Revenge and Rome!
The first two series of Veronica Mars are wonderful!!!(just skip the third unless you get really attached to the character...) and Revenge is really funny to watch. I haven't seen any of the others, so maybe I have to see what wins your contest and watch it too...
Fringe, then Revenge, and lastly Justified.
I'll give you 2 reasons why you should start with Justified: Raylan Givens is the coolest character on TV and the new season start January 17th so you won't be behind. BTW-You would have watched Justified, if you had watched Deadwood a lot of Deadwood alums have made appearances on Justified. And if you had watched Supernatural you would have seen one of those Deadwood alums become our beloved Bobby only to recently lose him, but Jim Beaver will be heading to Justified this season so that gives me some comfort. If you had watched Supernatural, you would have seen Mark Shepard who plays Crowley, who also guest stars on Doctor Who and Sebastian Roche (Michael Vampire Diaries/Jerry GH) guest starred at the same time on both Supernatural and Fringe in very long story arcs. So you see where I am going with this all things are connected and you are definately not connected!
The Sopranos, Supernatural, Rome. You may want to start with Rome, its the shortest one I think, and after you finish it, you might feel you accomplished something. But Sopranos and Supernatural are must watch.
in this order..... rome, deadwood, sopranos, spartacus, justified.... the rest are crap
Price, tell your "Friend" that Supernatural used to be my favorite show before The Vampire Diaries appeared. Season 1 is as amazing as TVD season 1 as every episode gets better and better. Unfortunately, in my opinion the show starts losing a little steam starting with season 4 and main story arcs get padded with about 12 filler eps per season.

Fringe is a show that changes what it's about during the first season, even dropping story arcs that don't seem to be going anywhere. It starts off just ok but then gets better near the end of season 1, much better in season 2, and every episode of season 3 has been amazing so far. It's the opposite path from Supernatural. :-)

Supernatural, at least at the beginning, gives you the best stories, but Fringe gives you one of the most amazing characters on television, Walter Bishop. If you experience Walter, you'll immediately want him to move into a creepy old mansion in Mystic Falls and have a laboratory in the basement. :-)

GOOD IDEA: It's probably too late now, but maybe next year one of the readers gets to win a holiday with you, and you go to their house and watch the episodes on their couch? THAT would be awesome. They'd need to take lots of photos of it, though, so you could do a photo-recap of the experience once you got back home.
Every 'padded' episode of Supernatural is better than every 'main storyline' episodes of most shows! I have come to respect Supernatural for the way the story was told in seasons 4 & 5.

And if Walter comes to Mystic Falls, he will be the most feared guy. With all his inventions, Klaus may even recruit him in his army. lol
Start with Doctor Who and work your way up from there! Not sure about Spartacus. and I haven't seen from the sopranos on up.
I would definitely say Revenge and Supernatural!

TV to marathon view this Christmas: http://khaledarahman.com/?p=144
1. Sarah Connor Chronicles (watch it, love it, then come to No Fate Convention)

2. Fringe

3. Veronica Mars (season1 & 2 only)

4. Deadwood
I heart TSCC too. It's in the category of shows that ended too soon (like Studio 60 and Firefly...)
Definitely Sopranos, Rome and Doctor Who! Supernatural and Fringe are good too. Looks like you'll have an awesome Xmas Price! Love your recaps by the way.
doctor who, specially the ones with tennant and matt smith.

fringe!!
I haven't watched all of the shows on this page, but I would definitely recommend you Veronica Mars, and, of course, Fringe. Well Fringe has some bad episodes, like the beginning of season 2, and VM's third season is not as good as the others, but otherwise these are I think some of the best shows you can find!
Fringe, Revenge, Supernatural and Veronica Mars in that order
Watched: The Sopranos Dollhouse Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles Veronica Mars Supernatural Fringe Justified Doctor Who

Since i watched the sopranos and supernatural twice i would recommend them

then i guess Doctor Who, that series really supprised me
Fringe to start definitely. There's plenty of the wonderfully weird there to keep you entertained. And sticking along those lines, Doctor Who should be somewhere in the marathon, & a bit of Dollhouse to end with.

I'm pretty sure Veronica Mars and Revenge should be in the list too, but I'm as bad as you so they're on my to-watch list!
Rome is a masterpiece! and then Spartacus!
Start with Fringe, then Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Firefly (even though it's not on your list OR you may have already watched it), then finish off with Veronica Mars
supernatural or justified if you dont have tie to watch all the seasons of supernatural
Okay... now that I've read through some of the comments, I'm ready to make a serious recommendation (though Firefly IS awesome!)... If you only watch one series, it should be the Sopranos. It is totally cool, is referenced repeatedly in both culture and other television shows and has some of the best writing, direction, production and acting ever to grace the small screen. It is the show that LAUNCHED cable television series. You really should try to see all of the shows you listed (only one I haven't seen is Deadwood), but you MUST see the Sopranos. 'nuff said
Wow! What the hell have you been watching? Sesame Street? The Price is Right? How could anyone who has not been in rehab for the last 12 years have missed all of these shows? Having said that... start with Firefly. ;)
You can't go wrong with Firefly.
Price, I really like your idea. Tell you what, whatever gets voted, if I haven't already been following the series, I'll watch too! But, honestly, given your enthusiasm for VD and SC, how are you not watching Supernatural since forever?!?!?! You would totally love it! I also think you might like Revenge, as well... but, lets see the voting results.
silverscreenluv

Start with Jericho, it's short and sweet. Plus it doesn't have a horrible cliff hanger, just a sort of cliff hanger. Then do Doctor Who because it's just embarrassing that you haven't watched that. It's a sci-fi franchise for crying out loud! Then watch Veronica Mars because it's awesome and full of beautiful people and you'll want a show that makes logical sense after watching the Doctor's spaz-fest.

Or maybe you should just do a scifi, then a drama, sci fi, drama, until you finish the list or run out of time.

Anything on that list is a good place to start except for the Terminator series which I found excruciatingly boring (and I do like the movies, so that's not genre discrimination). And man has Summer been type-cast. I couldn't stand watching any of those actors trying to express emotion.

Also, I can't speak to the Sopranos cause I haven't seen it yet. I was waiting until it ended, but then I heard the ending was lame, so that threw me off.
whoops, somehow I got my screen name in the comment. My bad.
VERONICA MARS. But don't be in a hurry to finish it. I stretched out the last seaon on DVD since I was so sad that it was going to be over. I am still sad. This is in my top 5 shows of all time.

JUSTIFIED is an excellent series and if you get caught up now, you can watch when it starts up in January. Same thing with REVENGE. It won't take you long to watch Justified and Revenge since there are fewer episodes of each.

SOPRANOS is definitely one that you HAVE to watch eventually. It is a classic. This was one show that we watched live every Sunday (as opposed to recording/TiVo-ing it). There are not many shows we actually watch live/or even on the same night, so that says something about this show. I can't remember how many seasons there were - but there are quite a few. So, this will take longer to get through and more of a time investment.

But, I love Supernatural and Jericho, also (but don't expect much from the 2nd season of Jericho). You won't go wrong with either of these.

Whatever you decide - ENJOY!
Fringe and Doctor Who! Then Jericho and Dollhouse..... that was a bit a sci-fi slant wasn't it.
Veronica Mars and Deadwood
FRINGE. Beyond amazing show.

Season 1 feels a bit like a procedural, especially in retrospect, although I still found the cases interesting, so don't be discouraged by that (if that sort of thing discourages you), because Fringe only gets better as it rolls along. Season 3 is probably one of the greatest seasons of television to ever air (imho).

It's a show about science that's really not about science at all. It's about people. But it also has some awesomely cool science, exciting story lines, mystery, plenty of non-distracting humor, and more!

Watch Fringe!!!!!
You can't really go wrong with this list. I can't even pick one, I pretty much love every single one of these shows. (Though I haven't yet watched Deadwood, Sopranos, Supernatural, or Revenge.)

If I had to pick, I guess I'd go with Rome. I absolutely loved this show. The 2nd season gets a little weird as they had to rush it due to cancellation, but it was still good stuff.
You have a lot there to choose from, and I have a few to recommend.

1. Supernatural - I'm biased, I consider it the best show on television. It's also great to watch during the holidays because in season 3 there is the awesome bloody Christmas episode.

2. Jericho - Two reasons, first being that it is sadly very short and easy to get through and secondly it's a really great show with an interesting take on post-apacalyptic USA that deserved better treatment.

3. Revenge - I usually hate soap opera's and I mean HATE, but this one has sucked me in and that alone says a lot, and it's always nice to be able to be caught up on such a popular show that is currently airing.

4. Terminator: TSCC - I know that you are a fan of The Secret Circle, so I highly recommend my favorite Thomas Dekker fair. I do warn you, DON'T watch the final three episodes. It's not that they aren't good, but since the show was canceled they start something that never gets a conclusion and that makes them very, very unsatisfying.

5. Fringe - If you like gore at all, you'll enjoy this. If you like sci-fi at all, you'll enjoy this. If you like drama, you'll enjoy this. I started watching this because of Josh Jackson and ended up falling in love with everything about it - especially John Noble. It's worth checking out.
Veronica Mars is amazing :)
Here are my top 2 choices from each category, Supernatural for the overall vote though.

Currently running:

1. Supernatural. All seasons must be watched because the show really evolves between season 3 and 4 as well as between 5 and six. Still, 100% WORTH IT.

2. Doctor Who - doesn't compare with Supernatural in my opinion, but I'd guess it is one of the most referenced TV shows out there. Be a really good one to know as a TV writer.

Ended:

1. Veronica Mars - Season 1 and 2 were magnificent. Perfect, even. Season 3 was a bit jarring but still definitely worth watching.

2. Sopranos - really a must-see for anyone who likes moral ambiguity and action. I really enjoyed it, though I think I prefer Veronica Mars because the lead was a whole lot more likable than Tony Soprano.
Supernatural - Price ,you will love it. And it needs to be watched from the beginning. A CLOSE second is Justified. I would put it in first place if I thought you would be able to catch up in time and get into season 3 in real time... Season 2 is INCREDIBLE and Timothy Olyphant will burn your eyes he's so hot. Third place: Sopranos. But that's something you could start at any time in your life. I love Fringe too but can't put it before the others as "must-see" for you at this juncture, though definitely in the future...
Load More Comments