Police: Robin Williams Hanged Himself

California's Marin County police department announced during a press conference on Tuesday that Robin Williams' cause of death was asphyxia due to hanging.

"Preliminary results of the forensic examination revealed supporting physical signs that Mr. Williams' life ended from asphyxia due to hanging," Lt. Keith Boyd Assistant Chief Deputy Coroner said. "The forensic examination conducted … did not reveal any injuries indicating that Mr. Williams had been in a struggle or a physical altercation prior to him being located deceased."

On Monday, Marin County Communications received a 911 call at approximately 11:55am reporting that a male adult had been found unconscious and not breathing inside his residence in Tiburon, Calif. The sheriff's office and the fire department were dispatched to the scene and Williams was pronounced dead at 12:02pm.

According to police, "Mr. Williams' personal assistant became concerned … when he failed to respond to knocks on his bedroom door. At that time the personal assistant was able to gain access to Mr. Williams' bedroom to find Mr. Williams clothed, in a seated position, unresponsive with a belt around his neck, wedged between the closed closet door and the door frame. His right shoulder area was touching the door with his body perpendicular to the door and slightly suspended."

Boyd added: "The inside of Williams' left wrist had several acute superficial transverse cuts [and] a pocket knife with a closed blade was located in close proximity to Mr. Williams."

During the press conference, Boyd explained that Williams' wife Susan Schneider had gone to bed in a different room than Williams on Sunday evening, and had left the home around 10:30am Monday, believing him to still be asleep.

It has not yet been determined whether Williams, who suffered from depression and drug addiction, had any chemical substances in his system at the time of his death. "Toxicology results will not available for approximately two to six weeks while the testing is being performed," Boyd said. "This is an active investigation into the case manner and circumstances of Mr. Williams' death. The work of the coroners' office is not complete. The final cause and manner of death will not be certified until a conclusion of the investigation which is several weeks away."

This article originally appears on TV Guide.com.

Aug 14, 2014
No idea why Toxicology reports take over 2 weeks in the year 2014. You could probably do a single full Toxicology test in about 60seconds and since most of the western world went digital about 10 years ago, it's pretty easy and quick to send information.
My guess is, the department who does the toxicology report are just saying two weeks to avoid the police wanting results delivered on the same day meaning they have to do actual work. Lazy F....ers
Aug 14, 2014
People cry depression to much nowadays. When I get blue I put my big girl panties on and move on. For some it's a lot harder but I think it comes from all this negativity people focus on. What happened to positive thinking? People are so busy focusing on negative things that they miss all the good things that are happening. Everything is about taking your Prozac and all that nonsense when we should be promoting active minds within mental health. Mental health professionals should be promoting positive reinforcements such as keeping a busy lifestyle, exercise and staying positive. I'm not personally affected my depression so I may sound a bit insensitive but life goes on.
Aug 14, 2014
Only shallow, self-obsessed people get depressed in the western world. Honestly, 99% of people with depression have NO IDEA how good and easy their life is compared to MOST people around the world. Being depressed is just an excuse and I don't accept it as a mental health issue.
Aug 14, 2014
The problem with what your saying is the nature of depression itself. It can become hard, sometimes near impossible to focus on positive thinking, let alone a positive lifestyle. Doing simple things like getting out of bed can often seem like daunting tasks.

Also, psychologists do promote trying to keep an active mind and a healthy lifestyle. The medications they prescribe is not meant as a solution, but as a way to balance the patients brain chemistry.
Aug 14, 2014
Don't believe anything a psychologist tells you.
A psychologists role is to DIAGNOSE everyone with some sort of personality disorder so that they can prescribe drugs to that person and make them a subservient member of society.

The official psychologist handbook for 2013 practically labels every single natural human emotion as a disorder that needs treatment.

Psychologists and psychiatrists are tools designed to help control a society. If you research who funds and regulates these areas, you will clearly see the motive behind them. And if you don't think an area of healthcare could be this corrupt, then I suggest you read up on the horrific things they are doing with your food by researching the truth about, 'The Codex Alimentarius Commission'
Aug 14, 2014
Thank you someone with a sense of reality. I don't believe in psychobabble either and these prescription drugs are becoming just as dangerous as the iilegal ones.
Aug 14, 2014
I guess some people are stronger than others and don't need to rely on drugs which in the end becomes a crutch. For me it's mind over matter. Survival of the fittest, only the strong survive that's basic natural selection.
Aug 13, 2014
Hi, tv.com editors, you normally rock, but I have to say that I find this headline totally unnecessary and kind of morbid :(
Aug 13, 2014
Why? It's the truth. And at least they didn't use the word 'hung'.
Aug 13, 2014
That's one way to look at it, another way is to look at it for what it actually was: something excruciatingly real.
I can understand your point of view, but on the flipside, I find the headline & thread as a very needed "smack in the face" around here to remind people of some reality of what happened. We can love about his celebrity, gush about his genius & his effect on multiple generations...but I say a headline like this is MORE than necessary in a time like this. Suicide is a very, very real thing & people definitely should be reminded of the utter reality of it even when they don't like it & would prefer to look the other way by turning a blind eye in the guise of stereotypical respect for the dead.
Aug 13, 2014
Oh, I wasn't referring to the suicide part. What I found tactless and unnecessary were the specifics of it.
Aug 13, 2014
& I was specifically saying that although I understand that you personally found the specifics unnecessary, I consider the specifics beneficial on the whole.

most people haven't actually seen death, & don't really think twice about it past general empty sympathy...especially on the net when celebrities are concerned. That's why I think a thread like this is a good thing, in order to inject at least a little reality in order to snap them out of the thrall of celebrity. Even if for a minute.

Many will refuse to admit this out loud, but for the vast majority of people who post sympathy about Williams death, even though he will never be forgotten, ultimately, in a month or two, he'll simply be remembered as just yet another Hollywood death.

Sad, but very true.

To be honest, even though I have no clue if I'm qualified enough, this thread actually inspires me to volunteer on the suicide hotline, so with all due respect, I'd say the positive effect this thread has on me trumps the negaitive effect it has on you...fair 'nuff?

Aug 13, 2014
Anyone thinking he was rich, and should have been able to afford all the best treatment, is missing the point. I have a friend suffering from bipolar disorder and depression, and while she's getting treatment, and takes medication for it, it's not always enough.

The problem is keeping her on her meds. While there's usually no trouble getting someone accept treatment for a physical ailment, like heart disease, anti-depressants are seen as changing who they are, how they think, dulling their personality, and a part of their brain keeps looking for a chance to stop. "I feel fine. I don't need them anymore. I can do this on my own." For extremely talented people like Williams, there's the additional fear that the drugs will take the edge off whatever it is that makes them great.

Plus the disease itself often influences decisions. It can be crafty, providing all kinds of rationalizations for quitting, and once they do, it REALLY starts to go to work on them. When the disorder the medicine is supposed to treat makes someone actively resist taking it, they can be only a few bad days away from death, no matter how expensive their doctor is.

It's easy to be judgmental when you've never had to live with this disorder, but it's important to remember that depression is a disease, and it sometimes kills people.

RIP Robin. I'll miss you. And all the best to your family in this sad and terrible time.
Aug 13, 2014
Too much information guys...
Aug 13, 2014
Imagine being a fly on the wall while that was happening, unable to do anything and forced to watched the horror unfold.
Aug 13, 2014
Sorry, but not a lot of compassion for suicide, especially when rich, knowledge is out there, he was aware of his problems, not like this was all new. Can afford the best care and treatment! How about all the poor souls who cant get help for financial or other reasons? And we shit on our Vets and their probs!!! This is more of a societal prob, and a male problem!
RIP wherever he is but no sympathy!
Aug 13, 2014
I have a sore spot for suicides too & catch myself saying similar things in my head as a knee-jerk reaction...the thing is, when I actually sit & think about the nature of it all, I get over that reflex & tend to have more empathy.

I've grown up around other people's money & learned over time that having it doesn't make pain hurt any less than it does for anyone else...what I have learned is that those with money & without fame tend to be more miserable when unhappy than normal people...but since I can only imagine what fame & money together must actually be like, I can only take what I understand of the pain I know through my own life, apply it to what I know of the misery of the privileged growing up, & add in the fuckedupedness of what fame must be like on top of that, & the conclusion I come to is that money & fame dosen't really make anyone smarter or wiser...pain is still pain no matter what, & when you boil off all the celebrity bullshit, Williams is just like anyone else who decided to snuff themselves. They took a permanent solution to a temporary problem like all the rest.

It sucks on toast, but if his uber celebrity helps open a larger dialogue about suicide & mental illness for a while & invites some evolution in society, then this shit might come to eventually mean something

More +
Again so unfortunate
Aug 12, 2014
You know, these people are all rich, and if they have suicidal tendancies you would think they'd just hire someone to keep them from doing that to themselves. You know they don't really want to do that, and it's just a moment of weakness on their part. And it's all just so sad to think about. Suicide is probably the most selfish act a person can do because they don't consider the people they leave behind. Suicide is definately not painless for the living. RIP RW...
Aug 12, 2014
I disagree about the "moment of weakness" thing. I agree that it's extremely selfish.
Aug 13, 2014
I personally had struggled with depression. When it get's so bad that suicide thoughts start you stop thinking logically. Your own brain dismisses the benefits of living. You can't focus. All you can think of is your own messed up mantra like "End it, end it, END IT." You're beginning to mutter it aloud. You're not convinced it's the best option but it's the only option your mind let's you believe. You think someone can focus on the benefits of living when you're brain is yelling at you to kill yourself? Making you think of derogatory thoughts and reminding you of the worst moments of your life? You try your best to distract yourself or fall asleep so you can shut up those thoughts. You have the meanest bully living inside your head that never quits. You can't even argue or disagree cause it's your own thoughts. Your mind is racing and the only "apparent" clarity you get is when you surrender to those crazy thoughts.

No, it's not "selfish", because that implies you're "thinking" of only benefiting yourself. When you're extremely depressed you don't even have control over your thinking. I'm sure you make the best decisions when you're at the angriest, most scared, or saddest in your life. It's that emotional but your brain only lets you see one option. You can get over being scared or angry sometimes in a few minutes, but with depression it can be a lifetime of it. I went through this was going through with my plan to end it. I was lucky to have a lucid moment after my depressed thoughts lost some momentum and got some help. Many people don't.
More +
Aug 13, 2014
Thank you for eloquently voicing what i could not. Some of these posts are making my stomach turn because people clearly don't understand, but i couldn't put into words what i felt when i was planning on killing myself. I couldnt remember anything happy from my entire life. I knew happy moments had been there,but couldn't remember them and all i could see was the pain. Furthermore i thought all those people who loved me would be better off without me holding them back/down. So to those calling it selfish: it's not selfish, its a messed up way of thinking, but at least for me, i thought i would be helping those around me.
Aug 13, 2014
Not everyone understands, thank you for sharing. I hope you're doing better. I too have struggled with depression and know many people that have had every treatment available to them and still have issues. Very sad.
Aug 13, 2014
Why is it extremely selfish?
Aug 13, 2014
If no one cares if they die, then it's not. But in a lot of cases, there's a good chance that they'll make someone else as miserable as they are. This is especially true when the person's parents are still alive.
Aug 13, 2014
It's a half-baked and hypocrritical thinking process leads people to believe that those battling depression are taking the easy way out by committing suicide. That they've basically rationally and logically arrived at the decision to end their lives and subject others to experience the loss of a loved one.

Aug 12, 2014
Oh hell no bitch! Selfish? No, you did not judt go there. People who commit suicide aren't standing there, thinking they got the last laugh as if they got the biggest slice of cake.. Usually they believe the world would be better off with out them. How is that selfish? Don't talk about something you know nothing about when you know nothing, because if you knew anything, you wouldn't have said that. It's easy for you to sit there and judge them, but I think that if you end up there yourself, you'll be ashamed for even saying that these poor people are selfish.
Aug 13, 2014
With the last post Muderboy put up it shows how easy it is for you to be talking to someone without knowing a thing about them. The comment shares an opinion MANY NOT ALL suicidal people stay alive for and hes entitled to that opinion without being insulted. 11 likes......
Aug 13, 2014
Honey, I couldn't care less if nobody liked my comment or not. I stick by everything I said. Unlike you, I don't live for likes. So don't even go there.

I knew someone who did commit suicide and I would never in a millions years think of him as being selfish for doing so. So I did react, yes.

We are all entitled to have opinions, but it doesn't mean that every opinion is in the right (and he did say that it was just an opinion). Especially, when it comes from a someone who put it quite bluntly, by referring to suicide as a moment of weakness and a selfish act. I will come for them. Whether people like it or not. He didn't come across as someone who had dealt with it on a personal matter. I have dealt with the matter on a personal level. Not only by knowing someone who did commit suicide, but also by having been at the bottom three times in my life. So I know what it's like to be on the bottom ( in my own way) and it royally pisses me off to hear people throw the word selfish out there. It's disgusting and I will tell them to come back and continue the discussion, once they have experienced the situation themselves. There's nothing weak about it. I'm not glorifying it, but I would never speak about it in a condescending way, which I find it to be with several here. Then again, I've always had to fight my own battles and have never really had any "loved" ones" around me, so maybe that's why I'm struggling to see your point, because I'd slap the first person to call me selfish. Knowing that I'm anything but selfish (in the bigger picture that is). I pulled myself through everything and I'm here and I know I'm going to survive life just fine, but I think of those who aren't there yet and I just can't bring myself to call them selfish. It's always horrbile when people opt for that solution, because I know now that with a lot of hard work and effort, you can turn things around. It's all about keeping hope alive and holding out through the pain and suffering.

Funny you mentioned his last post as if that was going to redeem him.

"...and yeah yeah, I know all that clinical crap"

^ This doesn't scream reflective person to me at all. It's almost as if it's all just a bunch of whatever, which it's not. Now, I can joke about these dark topics and I have a sense for dark humour, but in this context I would think twice about using words to form a sentence. Cause in this context, it is serious.

He also basically says that he hasn't experienced that moment. So I'm not that far off the map, when I say that one shouldn't talk about something, one doesn't know anything about.

Good for you guys for having been through your shit and still be all alive and kicking, but I still fail to see how you can say that suicide is a selfish act. Most people live in their own bubble anyway, I don't know how many times I've heard people say that they didn't see that one coming and etc. Meaning, a lot of people are way too busy with themselves to even notice others. Yet, those who have struggled to the point where they didn't get the help they needed and took matters into their own hands - they are the selfish ones? Oh, ok. Sure.

That being said, brendonis: I'm glad that you have people around you, that help you stay grounded. I also wish you and everyone else here the best.
More +
Aug 14, 2014
I would like to point out i was commenting about likes not in reference to you but more the people that liked it. I went against a comment which has the a lot of likes on the page so obviously don't care about likes and liked one that had none. All i was saying is that every case is different, the severity and the illness. Sometimes it can be selfish (which in the case of suicide is a really loose and badly defined term). But as i stated

''The difference is sometimes you can feel as though you deserve to be selfish as you've been so unselfish so long''

It can in some cases be a choice and not a compulsion though.

I respect your opinion and i respect Muderboys and because of the scale of diversity of the issue i believe both are valid. I have formed my own opinions not on speculation but on personal interpretation as have you. I just didn't like the hostility of your comment towards him and the 11 people that liked it, as i felt it constituted mass bullying of someone who you can't know how they feel about that post.

However i do accept the complexities of the issue and don't think bullying was the intention.

The people that say they never see it coming aren't saying that because of selfishness but because in a lot of cases someone will be the life of a party trying to make life worth living and bringing peoples spirits up with them. That creates a blind spot. Comedians are renowned for suicidal tendencies and studies suggest this is because laughter is a chemical short term fix to problems.

I'm really not wanting to be argumentative and don't feel i have been nor do i want to be overly sensitive and sincerely hope your issues never return, and wish you all the best.
More +
Aug 12, 2014
Clinical depression/Bipolar Disorder is often fatal, just like cancer. It doesn't matter how much money you have. Wealthy people can afford the best treatments for cancer and still die.

Suicide is not a sign of weakness or selfish. It's the final stage of a chronic brain disease. Unfortunately treatment doesn't always work.
@ Muderboy

I agree. You would think his family would have noticed as well. Guess they weren't that close.
Aug 12, 2014
Robin Williams struggled with mental illness his whole life. He always talked openly about his illness and was in a residential treatment facility recently.

His family definitely noticed. Clinical depression can be terminal, just like any other disease.
Aug 12, 2014
You know depression is a disease right? Like any other mental illnes, without propper care, help and medication, there's not much more the diseased can do about it. It doesnt matter how rich they are. Sure, they can pay for the best treatment in the world, but that doesnt mean is perfect treatment. They cant think of the consequences of their acts, you wouldn't ask a schizophrenia patient to think about the living around them would you? Maybe you need to be more informed about the subject.
Aug 13, 2014
I guess this is all pretty controversial, and that we don't all agree. Thank you all for trying to inform me about something that is pretty much just an opinion--and yeah yeah, I know all that clinical crap. I was shocked to find out that Stephen Fry tried to kill himself a while back, and so very glad he did not succeed. He's given us much more since his failure to kill himself. I have been treated for this--although not recently--and the pain is substantial, but I never experienced that moment. I thought about my family, and I'm glad I never reached that point. The world has changed a lot since I came along, and I grew up in an age when things were simpler. But in the end you either stand or fall on your own. We look at diseases differently now. But I still think that anyone who kills another person in cold blood for personal gain is indeed insane, but they should still have to pay for it in some way. And I totally deplore the death penalty as I find it quite barbaric.
Aug 13, 2014
Think you're getting a hard deal here and your entitled to have your opinion. I've always suffered with tendencies and when i was 16 i had an argument with my father which back then included getting beaten. I climbed onto the roof and was going to jump until my brother, teary eyed grabbed my trouser leg and pleaded for me to come back in. At that point i realised it was selfish. I still have tendencies often but would never do this because of the fact i've younger bros and sis's that look up to me. The difference is sometimes you can feel as though you deserve to be selfish as you've been so unselfish so long, which i hope i never get too. The media talks about how unselfish suicide is now, i hope that doesn't resonate too much with impressionable young children, one moment one night someone who could give up on a life that in the future could be great. I'm not speaking broadly but from my opinion, every case is different so others here shouldn't be so quick to generalise depression.
Aug 12, 2014
This story just keeps getting worse. So sad that Robin was in such anguish, at least he's at peace now.
Aug 12, 2014
What a sad situation. No one should have to die this way.
Aug 12, 2014
A true legend that people grew up, most people are instantly shocked and saddened. No death is less important than the other but the last time i was caught off guard like this was when Steve Irwin died.

Something about the title on the home page and here

Robin Williams Hanged Himself

seems a bit blunt, tabloid like and distasteful. Maybe its just me but he had family/friends and the title feels like its trying to be first to broadcast this.
Aug 12, 2014
Seems like the info came from TMZ expert journalist probably. Sure they stay outside the station all night and every passing person that walked by "Any new information about the passing of Robin Williams?" until someone says he hung himself and Bam! We post the quote.

They're brilliant people at TMZ.
Aug 12, 2014
Work with S.M.G. will do that to a man.....
Aug 12, 2014
That's just a bit tasteless...
Aug 13, 2014
Not just a bit. Dude's an a-hole, and 100% a dick.
Aug 12, 2014
It didn't have to come down to this!
R I P

a true comedic legend and an inspiration to many.