POLL: How Much of House of Cards Have You Watched So Far?

Netflix's much-talked-about, Kevin Spacey-starring political drama House of Cards has now been available in its entirety for the better part of five days. To mark the show's debut, Cory pondered the possible effects of Netflix's "release all 13 episodes at once" strategy, business-wise, and Tim reviewed the series premiere (and didn't particularly care for it). And after reading the comments on both stories, it sounds like at least a few of you watched the whole thing during opening weekend. We're planning to publish a whole-season review toward the end of this week, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear how much of the series, if any, you've watched so far.

So let's bring on the polls, shall we?

Me, I watched Episodes 1 and 2 and part of Episode 3 with a friend over the weekend (the reason we hit pause was to go meet a larger group for dinner, not because we hated Episode 3). Then I restarted Episode 3 yesterday and since I was home alone, just let the autoplay run. I think that was maybe a bad idea; I'm technically on Episode 8, but I think I only truly paid attention through Episode 5 or so before the show was just kind of on in the background while I did other things. I like it for the most part, though I don't think it's the type of series that really lends itself to binge-watching; while I find certain aspects of the show quite compelling, there hasn't been a point where I've been just dying to find out what happens next. So I'll probably finish it, and I'll enjoy the great dialogue along the way, but I certainly won't, uh, be skipping tonight's New Girl to start up another episode, know what I mean?

What's been your experience with House of Cards so far?

P.S. If you're looking for a place discuss individual episodes of House of Cards, check out the discussion streams and user reviews within our episode guide for the show. We've got an individual page for each installment, starting here with Chapter 1.

this show is so intriguing....
I love it, and if you like a show about political intriguing, and all the strings in the background, i highly recommend it
just reached ep 5, so far I like politcal animals better for the DC part stuff and House of Lies for the breaking the 4th wall. its a good watch but the side stories are just soooo boring... at this point I do not even understand what Mrs Underwood is doing, how is it even relevant to what Frank is doing, perhaps this will pan out later on. the monlogues to the audience are not as cool as Don Cheadle's in House of Lies and there is nothing about Kevin Spacey's character that makes him outstanding, manipulative congressman, arent that a dime the dozen, what makes Frank special that I should remember the character? not sure. He says he chooses power over money but i dont see what he is doing with the power he's already got. Just the revenge aspect seems a bit hollow for a complete character, what would he have done if he became state secretary, is even motivated is helping the people... are the guys he is fighting morons who dont know what they are doing? hard to feel anything for the guy, if his only motivation is boohooo, they told me but they didnt....

the show does not have that little extra that will make me crave for more. I will complete it because I am a completionist and also I ran out of other stuff to watch with a full season already but thats it. I think if Netflix wanted this to be huge, they missed but then again i cant watch mad men so i could be wrong....
Finished it up this weekend and immediately feel the post-marathon depression setting in.

Given I was into the politics element, I actually switch over to Amazon Prime to try out "Brotherhood" -- Providence instead of D.C. sure, but the tone is pretty similar. Probably not what Netflix had in mind.
Just completed the show and I too cannot wait for season 2 to start. Spoiler Alert. I really wanted some input from anyone who have finished the season. Stop reading if you have not finished.

I was wondering if Frank plan from the beginning was to be the vice president? It seems the way the show present itself to the audience was that originally he really wanted Russo to be the governor. He really wanted the clean water bill to pass and if it did, Russo will likely win. It was his wife under Sam Corp influence that caused him to lose the bill.

So if Peter Russo was elected. Was his original plan to make Russo his puppet all the way to the white house. That would take years and honestly too many uncontrollable factors.

He only changed his mind after Russo threatened him when the bill did not pass. By then he was plotting for Russo downfall so he could ultimately become the VP.

But isn't this plan faster and better for Frank in the 1st place ? It seems more brilliant. If it was Frank plan since the beginning, then as audience we were fool. He could not have known Claire would cause the bill to fail.

This is the part of the story that I still do not really understand. What was his original plan ?

I guess now I am like the Zoe Barnes and friends guessing Frank' s motive !

For those who have finished the season, what do you guys think? I really would like to know.
Well, it does pose a question, doesn't it? However, a scenario where Russo is brought down even if the clean water bill had passed is also possible, at least in my opinion. After all, it makes an even bigger impact if someone who has achieved so much falls so rapidly.

In the end, however, I'd say that Frank's original plan was to aim for the vice presidency at the next election, having secured Pennsylvania for the Democrats through Russo. This would give him more time to prove how useful he is, and build up his support base in Congress and the cabinet. Unfortunately, we will never know what Frank really intended, as he is clearly a very manipulative and intelligent person, even though he uses this mostly for his own benefit.
Hey thanks. I think your interpretation is quite reasonable. I have posted these questions at many websites and only got your answer. Well, at least I am now sure that as an audience we were never told of Frank original intentions. Perhaps the writers will address it in the 2nd season!
finished it last night and now want season 2---immediate gratification please!
Kevin Spacey's acting is excellent and his character is fascinating!
"How much House of Cards have you watched so far? "

HoC on bluray ? any chance ???
I love it so much. Really intriguing and addicting. But of course i will be disappointed in the end because everything won't go according to plan and Frank will loose. Can they make a show where the plan is so perfect that nothing goes wrong? I know it's unrealistic but most shows aren't so what's the big deal? It would still be intriguing, more than that, a real brainstorm which i like.
I love it. Kevin Spacey is great. I cannot remember anything from Robin Wright in recent years but she is great here too. I am into episode 6 now and would continue if I did not have to work the following day. I also loved the actress who play Zoe Barnes. First I have to say I know very little of US politics yet I really enjoyed watching the show.
After one false start a few days ago, I began watching in earnest last night in the wee hours.
Three episodes deep so far & I absolutely love it, although I can now officially say I'm not a fan of releasing all the episodes at once. The story is so densely woven that the episodes need time to breathe. As a one shot mini-series, sure, why not? but as an attempt for an ongoing series, the all-at-once model could very well bite 'em hard in the ass come time for season 2 when most memories have faded. Networks have the advantage of regenerating excitement & new viewership with episode re-run marathons in the days & hours leading up to the next premiere, & I'll be interested to see how netflix deals with that when their time comes.
Watched all of it. It's a good show, interesting til the end.

However... (SPOILER)... Zoe character is horrible. Please dont ruin the next season by making her somehow equal or a threat to Spacey.
It's not as good as the British version but...being a Spacey fan, he didn't disappoint. I loved the interaction between Francis and his wife Clair. She had more involvement than did the wife in the British version.
I watched one episode last night and I became instantly addicted. It's fantastic! Better than half the crap on TV. Just great. Watching some more tonight. Even after one episode I would recommend it.

Also, Spacey is at his absolute best. Utterly stunning performance. Yeah, even after one episode. That's how good this show is.
There is no option for "I've started to watch 1 episode but stopped after 5 minutes into it" reply. Why? This show is boring as wig on Kevin Spacey's head. Poor house majority didn't get Secretary of Defense nomination, so what? It's not that convincing that after refusal Kevin Spacey's character went ballistic and started to plan some intrigues. It's ridiculous. Secretary of Defense, a cool job? I doubt. There are plenty government jobs with same salary in White House I bet.
And Kevin Spacey's character is indeed very annoying with pretentious should-be-smart monologues to audience. And it's kinda lame and cowardly that they portraying 2013 but with fictional president (some boring white guy) and fictional house members obviously. To make it more interesting I recommend showrunners to avoid mentioning of year if they're cowards to portray real-lfe politicians. Show is promising less than I expected.
I hope for your sake that you were trolling with that post, because otherwise this is one of the most ignorant pieces of opinion I have ever heard. Almost nothing you said was true either of the show itself or the U.S. government. It's good and all that you felt passionate enough to make a post on the internet about it, but next time you could try not to be so completely incorrect. :D
Its the Secretary of State and though I have little knowledge of US Politcs, I believe Secretary of State means the 4th in line in United States presidential line of succession
I just watched episode 4 and have to agree: I like the show, but you cannot "bingewatch" it. It's not the most amazing show, but it is pretty good. But then I do have a big love for a southern accent. I just love the way that sounds, makes everything more enjoyable to me. I am definitely going to recommend the show to others, as long as they don't watch the entire season in one go. Because then it really isn't at its best.
This comment has been removed.
Staff
Why, thank you for your kind and thoughtful comment!

On a more serious note, what did I say that brought on the personal attacks against me and Tim? I'm still watching the show, so I don't have a fully formed opinion of it yet. But of the few thoughts I shared in this post, which one(s) proved to you that I don't know my head from my ass when it comes to TV?
Isn't it funny how having your own opinion or disagreeing with others on certain topics suddenly nowadays means that you're ignorant or have no idea what you're talking about.. Funny how that works.. I wonder if these people understand they're the ones who look narrow-minded and stupid for unjustly criticizing/slamming others simply for having a differing opinion.
....well I don't have Netflix.... sooooo....
Not terribly impressed, loved the UK version and this one has naturally been americanized and modified to appeal to a younger generation. Not so subtle, a bit messy.
I finished. Jack dies in the end!!
I watched every episode on Friday. Although I watched them all, binge viewing is not the kind of thing you do with a show like that. I bet anything a person who paced themselves talked about the show to me I will find myself wondering when something happened. for that, I'm going to watch it again, slowly and really have it all sink it. Watch the show, just don't do it all at once. That's my advice.
Awesome show, love it!
awesome...
Also important...
Watched all of it over the weekend and I loved it. Spacey's performance is on par with the Usual Suspects (and I love that movie a lot)
Lots of sinister intrigue and tension, but no car chases and explosions - not even any gun fights! Incredably great
It's pretty good. The production is just as good as any in FX or Showtime. The cast has very strong performances and the plot is very interesting if you enjoy shows about politics.
I enjoyed it. Definitely if you like Boss, this is similar. Good season. I like this format from Netflix. I want Moooooor!
The BIGGEST HUGEST MOST VIOLENT slap in the face I had from a TV show! The moments when Underwood confides in the viewer are strong, funny, and well balanced. The storyline is absolutely stunning, the characters are well constructed, the main characters are ruthless and yet attaching. The "lost" souls sacrified along the way are attaching and yet you can't hate those who hurt them. Honestly one of the BEST show I have ever seen.
I can't say this enough. If you enjoyed this series, find the UK original starring Ian Richardson. It was incredible. Buy it, rent it, whatever, but don't miss it.
YES. It was amazing and Ian Richardson gave a stunning performance.
Staff
Did you also watch the original U.K. version of State of Play, by chance? I haven't seen that one in awhile, but something about House of Cards reminds me of it (the American movie version of State of Play is terrible, or at least pales, in comparison). May just be all the newsroom stuff, but as far as original British versions go, I will definitely make a point to check it the U.K. House of Cards at some point.
I haven't seen State of Play, but since you mentioned it, and you are the incomparable Jen, I will check it out. :)
Staff
Aw, shucks, you are too kind. Seriously it might just be that there's a lot of newsroom stuff plus a relationship between a reporter and a government official. But it's great. It also happens to be where I first saw Margaret from Boardwalk Empire (Kelly Macdonald); she plays State of Play's intrepid lady reporter. Either way, it's a miniseries, only six hour-long eps, great for a Saturday afternoon.
I plan on watching, but I haven't done so yet. Maybe I'll download em tomorrow and watch over the next few days.
Haven't started it yet but I'll definitely get around to it soonish.
My husband & I are West Wing fans . We also enjoy Kevin Spacey. We sort of figured Netflix made this series especially for us. We're extremely grateful. I can't guess how wide the audience will be, but if you can check off those two boxes, you should definitely give this show a try. It's much darker than West Wing..If West Wing is 'making the sausage' House of Cards is killing the damn pig.
I haven't started it yet but do intend to. Right now i'm still trying to catch up on my new edition, which is the American version of Being Human.
I didn't think I would like shows based on politics, but then I remembered that I love Boss with Kelsey Grammer. I'm about to start episode 9. I'll probably finish it by tomorrow. I am enjoying it but Boss was better imo~~but it's still an entertaining show about politicians. I enjoy Spacey's character--regardless of what I think about the character, he is fun to watch
I started watching the pilot, and quit very very very boring!!!!
Staff
I'm on ep. 7 or 8. I think it's perfectly fine, but nothing really stellar. I think Spacey's doing his Spacey thing, and that's wildly entertaining; I really enjoy the dynamics between Francis and Clarie and that whole marriage; but I think Corey Stoll is the only one with an arc, really, but it's a very familiar arc so far, so none of it feel very fresh.

The newspaper/new media stuff is probably the most interesting aspect, and I sort of want an entire show about that...