Prediction: How I Met Your Mother Is About to Become How I Met Your Father

Now that we know that How I Met Your Mother will officially return for a ninth and final season, many fans have been trying to figure out exactly how the show will handle its homestretch. Will we meet the mother this spring, in the Season 8 finale? Will the show make us wait until the end of Season 9? Will the writers just pad out a storyline it already had prepared for Season 8? Naturally, we don't have many answers.

But yesterday, TV Guide ran a story based on a recent interview with HIMYM co-creator Craig Thomas. The article declared that next season will “look and feel much different from past seasons,” with Thomas revealing that there’s “going to be a new way to tell the story” and that fans are “never going to mistake a Season 9 episode [as being] from one of the previous eight [seasons]."

“A new way to tell the story” could mean just about anything, but here’s my theory:

HIMYM is going to go Nikki and Paolo on Season 9.

Let me explain: During the third season of Lost, the show introduced the characters Nikki and Paolo and used flashbacks to insert them into key moments from the show’s first two seasons. They were always on the outside of the main group, but somehow seemed to be around whenever cool things were happening. Fans hated Nikki and Paolo, and Lost eventually buried them alive.

However, if we’re going to get a new season of HIMYM that looks and feels different from any other season, what better way to accomplish that than by spending large amounts of time with Ted’s future wife? The series can show her side of many of the stories we’ve heard Ted tell over the years. Her experience at the bar on St. Patrick’s Day when she forgot her yellow umbrella. The time Ted was in her apartment while she was in the shower. I’m sure HIMYM could even create "new" close calls, where the mother almost met Ted over the years. And as a bonus, allowing a few new actors to carry some of the final season's storylines would free up the principal cast to work on other projects—which would make sense, considering that the growing careers of stars like Jason Segel are what almost kept Season 9 from happening in the first place.

For this plan to happen, though, HIMYM will have to introduce the mother in the finale of the current season. The showrunners have already made it clear that they’re not going to make a casting announcement when they’ve selected an actress to play the Mother, so don’t expect any hints to arrive in that form. Would you be on board with this idea? After eight seasons of listening to Ted talk, are we ready for How I Met Your Father?

What do YOU think?

From Last episode I can predict that, Barney and Robin are brother and sister [remember Barney is half Canadian and hist father is still unknown...they will reveal this soon] obviously they will break up and the Mother that we seeking for last 8 years is Robin herself [remember the pack Ted and Robin did with each other, "if they are single till 40 years(forgot the exact age)" they will marry each other]...I have no clue how they got children though!!!!
Robin is not going to marry ted, because ted always refers to her as "Aunt Robi"
Barney's father is Jerome... they revealed that already. Plus Ted broke that single til 40 pact when Ted told Robin he loved her but she didn't feel the same way. Also in the first ever episode Ted said in the last part "And that's how I met your Aunt Robin"
I don't think so simply because I understand they've paid the principal cast a big raise to do the 9th season. They won't spend that money and then not use them.

They could, I suppose, have dual-running plots, where we see what the mother is doing and then switch to the principal cast. And that would be consistent with the statement that next season will "look and feel much different". I suppose that is possible. But I still doubt it as it would still decrease screen time of the principal cast they just gave a big raise to.

Now, has they not been able to sign a lot of the principal cast, then I could see that. They could have made a deal with the stars to appear in a few episodes, including a grand finale. But, that isn't what happened.
I really want the mother to be Carey Mulligan!
I like her but she's not too comedic though, (as far as I know.)
In keeping with the shows name, it would be much better as: "How Your Father Met Me".
Actually, I think it would be more in keeping with the show to be "How Your Mother Met Me" That would keep Ted as the primary subject. Your version "How Your Father Met Me" or "How I Met Your Father" both of them change the primary subject to the mother.
I think bringing new actors to carry the show would not work. Look at what happened to two and a half-men for crying out loud. Walden was not an unlikable character or anything, people just didn't care about him, his relations and his life, people wanted the people they knew for 8 seasons to lead the show. That's what I always say about 2&1/2 men, episodes are better when Walden is a supporting character. I think due to this, what you suggest would be extremely risky. People would only try to watch the season to catch a glimpse of Ted or any member of the gang and I don't think they can do that for 24 episodes.
That sounds good
Is it just me or does it feel like Jason Segel is just phoning it in this season? I've loved this guy since "Freaks & Geeks" but he just seems so listless and doesn't really convey Marshall's neurotic wacky side anymore.
In order to complete the franchise and not seem like there will be a giant middle finger to the audience over the years, they will have to bring the mother into the show in a way which will make the audience happy, we know we are close and we know everything about the mother pretty much so now it's just how the reveal is going to happen, if that is successful, I hope series 9 will answer all questions that the audience has so that we can finish the show on a high and feel like that the writers and other staff have made a brilliant idea work so well and make the audience feel like they were happy for the ride.
I think that's an incredible idea. I was thinking it would take place way in the future and we'd hear stories of them being/looking much older, but I can't see how you'd be wrong about this. Well done. Even more excited now!
what an Awesome Way To Start a Son off... How i Met Your Father! TellingThe Mothers Side With Her Friends...
Yeah, I'm thinking like a flashback to the mother's side of pretty much the plot so far. Although switching up narrators seems kind of odd to me, unless they were to change the name of the show, lol.
But we already know the father is ted
they could focus on the mother's POV of how she met him
but he cannot be a suspense as it has been on how i met your mother
I like the idea of the mom telling stories of how she almost met Ted all those times. But I still want the main cast in every episode. And they still have so many questions. Does Marshal become a judge, does Lily ever teach art, etc. Its ok for only a couple of episodes bit not the whole season.
I would LOVE that! It would be especially cool if one of the mother's friends had hooked up with Barney at some point.
That will be fantastic!
It honestly saddens me that people think it's starting to get stale. The show is HOW Ted met their mother. Other stories and conflicts go along with the main conflict; figuring out who the mother is. Future Ted emphasizes how important destiny is and how the situations around him allowed him to meet their mom. After all, he wouldn't have met her if it wasn't for Robin and Barney's wedding. Lighten up people, be thankful that this show is still going on, because I'm damn sure i will be missing it once season 9 is over. If you want something more exciting, go watch Big Bang Theory... *throws up in mouth*
I agree, I mean i don't care if people don't like it anymore I get why they don't.. but here's the thing.. I actually watched seasons 1-7 all over again just recently and I was determined to figure out just when it started to lose its spark.. and I don't think it did, maybe just a few episodes in the first half of season 8 are a bit boring and it's definitely not what it used to be, but my theory is that if you watch the episodes all together like not having to wait week after week and then a one month hiatus and then on again and it's like you start to lose the thread of the story and it all goes downhill.. because it is not a drama with big plot developments that leave a huge cliffhanger every week that you CAN'T wait to see so you don't care so much.. anyways i love this show.. even in their not so good episodes it's still better than many show out there and I'm still invested so who cares what other people think.. to each his own you know?
You can't get mad that some people aren't into the show anymore. It HAS become a bit stale. I remember when I first got into this show, it was hilarious. But as soon as I caught up with the newer episodes, it started to lose it's spark. I can honstly say the same for Big Bang Theory as well. Both shows are being milked dry.
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with the show being so long if it were still funny but it feels like seeing the same things over and over and it's simply not fun anymore. I think How I met your mother managed to make the mother's identity completely irrelevant by putting it as a carrot in front of our faces years after years until nobody care anymore.
i care....
What I've really hated about the show is every time Ted has a relationship they definetively state she's not the mother when they break up. Why couldn't the producers have left some past love interests in the running up until the mother is revealed? That's the way I've always wanted it and it would be great to go into the last episode thinking it could be several candidates besides just the mysterious woman we haven't met yet. A good example would have been the movie Definetely, Maybe.
I agree. The most frustrating thing about the Zoey relationship is that it was introduced as something that ended in disaster. How do they expect me to invest in that? I basically fast forwarded the relationship in my mind.
i think it's cool we get to meet a new person in the final season and hopefully fall in live with her just like ted did
HIMYM already did something like Nikki and Paolo when they introduced Will Sasso's bartender character. They digitally inserted him into previous moments of the show. It looked completely fake and bad when they did it then. I hope they don't do it again with the mom.
I think the mother is Tyler Durden and Ted has been halucinating those kids he tells the stories to (how else would they sit and listen for 8 years for a story that just goes around in circles and not age a day). Barney is also a figment of his imagination because he is too awesome to be real.
In the episode trilogy you saw his baby girl (2015) i believe was the date.

m thoughts on season 9
I think the format for season 9 is going to be give and take told from both perspectives and sometimes just ted and sometimes just the mother. Going over all the close call encounters would make for an awesome season as we see hit and misses. we can all scream at the tv as she was standing behind him 5 years ago turn around :P lol
Kiele Sanchez and Rodrigo Santoro as the mother and father. I suppose it might be tough for two 35 year olds to pull off being 55, and Santoro obviously looks nothing like Josh Radnor, or Bob Saget or what Radnor would look like in 20 yeras, but man would that be ridiculous.
I suppose the fact that LOST was ABC and HIMYM is CBS doesn't help either.
Alright, just Kiele Sanchez as the mother, and Rodrigo can be her ex-husband who died mysteriously on their honeymoon on an island.
To be fair unlike lost the mother has always is and was the silent character of HIMYM so she for her to be added likes, dislikes and places she was at have been setup all we need is for her. so unlike lost random actors show up and pretend to insert them into past scenes and give us the history there and then the history for the mother has been layed out over every season.
It should've ended this season. The series has run dry. They're forcing another season for the money and the ratings. There've been some dry seasons, but season 8 has been the worst BY FAR. After an amazing season 7, I was really excited about the series. But throughout this season, they've been dragging the story out and using cheap jokes to get cheap laughs. It's sad watching one of my favorite shows go down like this. Typical CBS. If I hadn't dedicated the past 5 years of my life to this series, I would quit watching it right now.
Real fans of the show disagree. I think this season is as good as any other
I really like the idea behind this, but the show just wouldn't be the same without the group that's gotten us this far. HIMYF as a spin-off? Maybe. But as the final season? No go.
I really doubt they'll do that but if they do it they will lose most of the fans IMO
I actually don't think this would be a terrible idea, but they likely would have had to think of it like ten years ago (because Lydsey Fonseca and David Henrie didn't actually freeze in time) since they might need just the reaction shot of her interrupting grown up Ted. But, it might be an interesting thing to do for an episode or two, like have one of the kids as the adults they are know approach Mom to ask about something in their lives that sort of seems like something dad told us about once.

Randomly, I have a feeling we and other group members are going to actually meet the mother before Ted (if nothing else, maybe Robin or Lily or even Barney actually wants to meet or hear the band before they play at the wedding).
I really hope they won't do this. To me, this sounds like Scrubs all over again. I'd much rather meet the mother at the end of season 8 and get to know her in season 9. We spent eight seasons listening to Ted tell us how great the mother is, so I think we deserve to see what makes her so special through his eyes in the final season.
Anyway, reading the comments, I sometimes get the feeling I'm the only one who still enjoys HIMYM. I even like the later seasons better than the first. But for me this was the same with Friends. I just like watching episodes in which my favourite couples are already together.
I'd prefer it to 20someodd more episodes of making once-interesting characters into meaningless caricatures (coughseasons7&8coughcough).
Great idea!
Well, at this point, there is nearly no way we could like the mother (and her social field) as much as we like our group right? So spending a season with her might be perfect if she is awesome enough. It would need to be really smartly done but I don't hate the idea to get some kind of "even level" between the to characters.
Personally I'd rather it just be a handful of episodes: a whole season might as well be a different show.

But, this isn't that new of a prediction. People have suggested it might happen since way back, and then it became a popular idea ever since Robin had her "How I met your 'father' " episode (with her imaginary kids)
Look at it this way... We only have 33 episodes left (9 for this season and I'm guessing 24 next season as well). that's it....So sad....

I'm sure they have it planned out. its good to speculate/imagine/predict what they're going to do, but if we knew what they were going to do, the show wouldn't be enjoyable.

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but it won't work. The show is about this group of friends we've been watching for the past 8 years. I cans see a few episodes happening where the mother could come in and explain things and how these "close calls" came to be, but not an entire season of those. these 6 characters need to be there.

Different than any other season can means almost anything. I'm not against this idea, I might even enjoy it, I just don't see how the cast can be the focal point with the mother taking over. I've always sad the creators/writers ALWAYS have a plan, even if they tend to dodge, stretch out, or completely let us forget about something small until they're reading to let us know more.

I don't know what they plan on doing, it even could be this... We'll have to wait and see...
They should really get Lyndsy Fonseca to play "the Mother."
You know, not for nothing - I was watching Nikita yesterday and noticed that Fonseca has gone back to dark brown hair (she's been light brown for years). The first thought I had was, is she going back to HIMYM?

Also, I love Nikita, but I think it's a given that it got renewed this season to hit the syndication mark but that this is pretty much it. I mean, the storyline is that their "winding up" Division.
So she'd play the mother and the daughter? That would be kind of weird.
For that to happen Nikita would have to get cancelled. I, for one, hope that doesn't happen.
There's that and the fact that Lyndsy Fonseca plays the daughter. It would be creepy for mother and daughter to look so alike. Nah, Lyndsy is gorgeous, but she's outta limits.
I know a lot of girls who look like their mothers. Also, as someone said she looks a lot older now than the stock footage they shot almost 9 years ago.
True, but she looks older and more adult now than when all of that stock footage was last shot.

Still though, she looks too similar to her younger self to be the mother.

AS long as Ted doesn't meet the mother until the last episode, I agree she can be a big part of next years' episodes, interacting with evryone else. I like the idea of getting her side of some of the near misses, would help bring in all full circle without Ted meeting her.
I don't think Bob Saget's voiceovers are going anywhere.

The best and most simple solution is to include the mother in the voiceovers. More of a "How We Met (and fell in love with) Each Other" than a "How I Met Your Father." I'd love for the 9th season premier to have the mother enter the room and plop down on the couch right in the middle of the two kids. She'll crack a joke about dinner being ready and when Dad tells a story it feels like it takes 9 years. Then have the mother stay in the room and finish the story with Ted. That would certainly give the 9th season an unmistakeable feel as opposed to earlier seasons, and make more sense than switching narrators entirely. Maybe you can have the mother do one or two episodes solo, but that's enough.

The only problem with this is the kids who were originally cast are obviously much older. The daughter is none other than the beautiful Lyndsy Fonseca (now most famous for her role as Alex on Nikita) and with her youthful good looks could believably step right back into a teenage role. The son is another story. David Henrie has matured since the early days of HIMYM. I suppose they could make it work, but a recast wouldn't be too big of an issue.

Finally, my last wish is for HIMYM to cast an unknown as the mother. A celebrity casting would take away from the fantasy fans have built up in their heads for 8 long seasons.
A couple of years ago, Carter/Bays said they'd already shot the couch scene for the series finale, knowing they'd need the kids to still be "kids." Obviously they don't have to use that footage, but it's something they prepared for.
LOL. I'm laughing my ass off. She MUST enter the room saying that when Dad tells a story, if feels like it takes 9 years. It would just be epic. :P
I like the nod to LOST. Loved that show
This show neeeeeeeeeeds a change, so I'm up for anything at this point! Let's see how this is going to end up.
Yes, i've been watching this show from the beggining, and re-watched several times, and i like the idea of "the mother's pov". i'm not sure if the creators would take such a risk on the last season, though
This is an INCREDIBLE idea and it would be awesome! It's one of my favorite shows but, I have to admit, after 8 years, it's getting s little stale. I really, REALLY hope this is their new angle. It would really bring a fresh, new feel to it. :)
I'd just really love it if we could spend time getting to know the mother and watching how she interacts with not only Ted but the whole group. Seeing how they fell in love and what makes her so perfect for Ted that Lily doesn't try to sabotage it etc. So doing a few episodes from her perspective could fit into that. But please damn it HIMYM, don't make us wait another season to see what she looks like and how they actually met!
They would have to cast someone who is both instantly likeable and able to carry a whole season. Do NOT disappoint us, if that's what you're going to do.
The TITLE of this article suggests an entirely different prediction than was in the actual article.
Yes, the title was confusing, when I read it my first thought: "Which of the characters we know is going to meet her future husband? We already know Lilly's and Robin's...". But after reading the article I understand why Bill Kuchman decided to phrase it that way (although it IS a bit misleading).
If this is not their idea, then it should definitely be! I like the idea of watching the same events unfold from a different point of view (the matchmaker, the club, the roomate's apartment, etc), and also the idea of creating new scenarios where they nearly met. It would be a nice idea to flesh out a character in a different way, rather than meet her through Ted's eyes, we'll get to know her on her own right. It they pull it off, it would really make for interesting TV and definitely different in a good way.
I think it would be better to have one or two episodes like this but not a whole season, I have long since stooped watching it to find out who the mother is rather I watch it because of Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Segel, so to spend a whole season with bran new characters would be stupid and frankly and annoying way to end the series
the fact that this unfunny show that wont die gets a 9th season and community gets treated like dirt just proves life is unfair
Community is on NBC. Which means that it's had a chance to run a lot longer than it would have on CBS. Community is treated like crap because it pulls in one-third of the audience that HIMYM has.
i disagree, the fact that community is on nbc is the problem. nbc treats its comedies poorly with scheduling decisions and promotion. any comedy up against the big bang theory and american idol is going to do badly. if community was on at 10pm instead of do not watch (sorry i mean "do no harm") it would probably do better - its main competition in that time slot are scripted dramas so the demographic appeal would different. cbs makes smarter scheduling decisions. none of this changes the fact that himym is unfunny.
It doesn't sound like a bad idea on paper (and I've never seen Lost so I don't know if the problem is with the execution or the idea itself). I do think it might alienate some viewers since we do love the core group, but there have been obvious signs that their stories are running out of steam (Marshall's inner goddess and all that nannies and godparent crap were just terrible). But if this new mother-filled season 9 is in the same tone as the first 4 seasons, then maybe the show can still be salvaged.
Your idea makes more sense if CBS ordered a tenth season, but the producers couldn't get the current cast to sign on. All you'd need is a handful of guest appearances (and you could do it with only Josh Radnor, if the others didn't want to come back at all.)

The setup is easy... just have mom's voice interrupt Bob Saget while the camera is on the kids on the couch, and she takes over the story. They could probably get enough ideas to run at least 2 seasons from the fans.

My first suggestion... the time "mom" tried to rent a costume for Halloween... but they were all out of "slutty pumpkin", so she stayed home.
I think you're totally right and I'm super excited!!! I love it when shows come full-circle.
They could kill of Marshall and let Segel loose. Then maybe the show would be more interesting cause he is a terrible character.
Could not disagree with you more
....lol how can you hate marshall? I think you're the first person I have ever heard call Marshall a terrible character...I've heard Ted hate Lilly hate Robin hate...but never Barney or Marshall hate...and quite frankly how could you?
Because he is stupid, naive and should never have left his backwood neighbourhood. Killing of his father was a good first step, but now it's time to finnish the job and get rid of this idiot who believes in Bigfoot, and only had one girl ever in his life.

Just push him from the roof of the GNB-building or something.

How could anyone hate a cool strong woman like Robin would be my question.
....lol so a loveable small town nice guy.. irks you cause he likes to believe in bigfoot?... and that makes you hope someone pushes him off of a roof

lol do you cut your wrists at night?
He's obviously trolling.
No way, he appears in many episodes "in the future". Also he is awesome.
This. He's appeared in so many flash-forwards, they can't kill him off.
oh god...this sounds like Scrubs all over again...in fact...exactly like scrubs down to the god damn amount of seasons...when are shows going to realize you cant do a show for 8 years and then throw brand new "main characters" (that are very very inferior) at us replacing the old ones and expect us to love them after 1 episode and for the rest of the season
I was thinking of that dreadful 9th seaon of Scrubs while reading the article too !

As someone else suggested they could make some episodes with the mother's point of view but not the whole season.
I dont think I can stomach it...if they want to introduce the mom let us get to know her (hopefully like her) and THEN do ONE episode from her POV thats fine...but if its for majority of the season...or god forbid...the whole season I'm gonna have to get something to keep me from grinding my teeth every monday lol
Exactly my point ! ;)
Sounds right on the money and a total waste of audience time.
You know what, I kind of like this idea. IMO it is much better than rambling through another one of Ted's relationships that will give me an opportunity to hate the character they've been building up for 8 years. Nice move Craig Thomas (if this is the direction that you're going).
Load More Comments