Pretty Little Liars Is Getting a Fifth Season AND a Spin-off

ABC Family's preeminent attractive-and-petite fibbers will keep on being attractive and petite and also fibbing well into the foreseeable future: Pretty Little Liars has been renewed for a fifth season, just a week after the conclusion of Season 3 (Season 4 is scheduled to premiere Tuesday, June 11). The network's official press release didn't mention a Season 5 episode count, but it's reasonably safe to assume that the series will stick to its current formula of airing 20+ episodes (and a Halloween special) each season, with each season split into two halves. If I've done my math correctly, that would give Season 5 an approximate premiere date of June 2014.

But this news likely surprises no one—Pretty Little Liars is one of ABC Family's top-performing shows. So in an effort to extend that success, the network has also announced a PLL spin-off series, Ravenswood, that will debut this October after PLL's annual Halloween special.  Details on the new show are scarce, but here's what we know so far: Ravenswood is a one-hour drama about a town of the same name that has "suffered under a deadly curse for generations." When five strangers find themselves connected by this "fatal" (but otherwise vague) affliction, they set out to "dig into the town's mysterious and terrible history before it's too late for each of them."

So how is Ravenswood connected to Pretty Little Liars, you might ask? The titular town is apparently located "not far" from Rosewood, PA (which the also titular Pretty Little Liars call home). Oh, and it comes from PLL executive producers I. Marlene King, Oliver Goldstick, Joseph Dougherty, and Leslie Morgenstein. Based on Ravenswood's logline, it seems unlikely that the two will share anything other than a home state, but that could change dramatically as more specifics are released (Deadline suggests that Ravenswood's launchpad, the aforementioned PLL Halloween special, will introduce the town and its residents). Whether there will be any character crossover remains to be seen...

For now, all I can read into Ravenswood so far are tenuous "other show" vibes, from Eureka (It's a show named after a small town with weird goings-on, minus the scientists!) to The Secret Circle (It's a show about a group of people who have to work together to unlock the full extent of their... town history!). However, I am reasonably certain that the cast will feature beautiful young people.

Do you think Pretty Little Liars has enough story left to fill two more seasons? And does Ravenswood sound like something you'll watch?

yes pretty little liars could do a 5th and 6th season yes I watched ravenswood ever since it came on and I can't wait 2 days until they both have their winter premiere
I love pretty little liars but I seriously think that if your getting tired of the show then don't watch it!!! I think they should put a season 5 and the spinoff!! I would love for the show to continue!!!
I think that one more season should be the end of it. It's always the same things over and over I LOVE the show but also don't want to see it get ruined by them doing to much for instants the "scary movie trilogy" the first too were good then they milked it for what it's worth now it's tiresome. I think after the 4th season should be the end but too late for that! Fingers crossed the 5 will end the show so that they don't ruin the story line. The spin off sounds great!
A fourth season I could understand, in fact a while back i read that the show was supposed to be a total of four seasons. With all the things that have been answered and the mysteries becoming obvious especially red coat I thought one more season with their second half of senior year should be the end, in fact the way season 3 was going it seemed like they could have ended it and I would have been happy with that. As I said in another post I would rather they do one more shorter season to conclude the story on their own terms and not let it go on so long it becomes just too rediculous, some people already think that apparently. I haven't read the books but being that I only started watching the show when the second half of season 2 was airing. I hadn't heard of it but I read a description of it and made the mistake of watching a trailer for it on youtube only to scroll down and see "In the books Mona is A" just like that, and when asking this asshole why they would write that the response was "Well you are gonna find out anyway" What I have like about season 3 was since the reveal had happened and apparently went down differently in the books, from there on the whole season has been nothing that can be spoiled like the whole Maya thing. I have figured out on my own who A leader red coat is on my own and have been avoiding spoilers on youtube like the plague.
In fact there are so many assholes who write spoilers on youtube videos on things based on books or graphic novels like Game of Thrones and The Walking dead. At a different time in the case of Game of Thrones I had already read the second book when season 2 was airing, and all I wrote was that I felt that the adaptations from book to show has been well done so far, and someone decided to email me "Yeah this character is well done, and dies in book 5" again "What? you are reading the books you are gonna find out anyway" Now TWD I have long since been up to date on the comics, but still i see assholes writing spoilers.
As for the spinoff it sounds kind of like the same premise, except with a supernatural element to it kind of like Twin Peaks, which I am all for. Plus the fact that there are no books there can be no spoilers. Twin Peaks really started the trend of small towns that seem filled with good people, but what lies underneath nothing is what it seems. The tag line for Twin Peaks, which had a cast of 20 to 30 characters was "In a town like Twin Peaks, nobody is innocent" I hear that there is a 13 episode direct to Netflix show which has the small town supernatural mystery theme called "Hemlock Grove" coming on and they will release all 13 episodes at once instead of week by week, I also hear that Alexsander Skarsgard "Eric" from True Blood's younger brother is one of the stars. So yeah for the spin off, not so sure bout PLL season 5
I love PLL and I've stick with it from season 1 episode 1 as much as I love it and want to keep it on air but there's not a lot of story left to go on for 2 more seasons. I mean the whole who killed Ali is tiresome though season 3 is a good one. The show is spreading itself too thinly with subplots like Ezra family drama like we care? Instead of introducing new characters try exploring old one with real beef with the Liars Jenna, Melissa, Paige and Wilden.
Yes they have plenty story for 2 plus seasons PLL keeps getting better and better, as for Ravenswood its a YES big time!!
I think Ravenswood would fare better if it was on The CW rather than ABC Family since there's some high-quality genre shows on there (such as TVD, SPN, Arrow and Nikita).
I have been saying that a lot of the shows on ABCF could easily be on the major networks!! basically do not cut ABCF short here, I actually watch more shows on ABCF than FOX and NBC
This comment has been removed.
Oh my god no XD I really feel like in season 3 nothing actually happened... I'm beginning to get really frustrated!
season five is a must!!! the girls will finally be done with high school and I can't wait to see how their life is going to change, I am very much intrigued of how the A team torment will continue after that , if they are all going to go to the same collage I'll be really upset.
also there are 13 books, so far. wtf?
i know they aren't strictly following the books, and i haven't read any of the books.
but i read sometime ago that the beginning of season 3 was similar to book 5. so i'm guessing it's kinda basing each season of 2 books? i'm seriously beginning to wonder how long they can drag this out or if the tv show will go completely different way and just keep with characters kinda how true blood followed the books and is not something totally different with just the same characters.
maybe they'll just wrap it all up in a movie dragging it out until people give up and it gets canceled in a couple of seasons.
I thought the same way, inmy post above I wrote that I think that they should do only one more season otherwise it will get dragged out, if the keep milking it saying oh now we will have seven seasons, the show will go downhill and get canceled and without ever knowing the conclusion
Wow, this is exciting newS!

WAY TO GO ABCFAMILY! <3 I LOVE PLL!
I think first of all for PLL to be interesting through to the 5th season they need to show some progress in the girls lives. These girls are in high school and that't it. They haven't moved forward or anything. The twists and turns now are sometimes grimace worthy.

And I don't see how Ravenwood is a spin off, unless it is based in the same universe. Maybe ABC is just trying to piggy back a new show on PLL to increase the hype.
It is based in the same universe. In episode 6 of this season Toby and Spencer travel to Ravenswood. I also heard Caleb is going to be in the spinoff.
Well yes time has passed, seasons 1 and 2 were junior year. I read a while back that the plan was a total of 4 seasons senior year which made sense, but what are they trying to tell us that they will still not know who killed Ali or who the A leader and real reasons behind everything when they go to college? It made sense on Buffy when after season 3 senior year of high school Buffy went to the Sunnydale college cuz it's the hellmouth and she is needed there, Xander didn't go to college and while Willow who could have gone to Harvard, she instead chose to stay and go with Buffy to SDU because at that point she had made a decision to dedicate her life helping Buffy fight the forces of evil. SO what's gonna happen on PLL, A forces them to go to local college and their families will buy that they all decided to stay together?
So this is the basically the same, just with different name and supernatural elements
Spinning a supernatural from a mysterious-cyber-bullies show sounds like a desperate move to boost the new show's PR, yawn!
Never watched but wonder how this survives while other shows get cancelled. No one seems to like scifi or supernatural stuff on tv as much these days...
No they do, it's serialized sci fi supernatural stuff they don't like, actually serialized shows in general. Reality fucking tv shows have diminished people's attention spans. If it isn't a singing contest or a procedural storyyline that last only 42 minutes people just seem to not comprhend. Plus Networks doing long ass hiatuses don't help, just look at Flashforward, The Event, Jericho, Invasion, It's like the networks think every show can be like "Lost" now thankfully there are exceptions PLL of course and Vampire Diaries, and Teen wolf, True Blood. However personally I think that in PLL I would have been fine if season 3 had finished the show, or season 4 should end it cuz I think they have revealed alot and honestly if it goes on so much longer it runs the risk of going downhill big time. I think they should do what other shows have done and end it on a high on their own terms before it sucks. But don't get me wrong, if they have season 4 and 5 mapped out, I don't see how, or not I will keep watching.
the so called "spin-off" sounds more interesting to me than PLL ever did. but calling it a spin-off is a stretch.
Oh, here we go. Does this "spin-off" really need to happen? PLL has become a chore to watch as everything's gotten so convoluted, and with two seasons left, that's going to put the show at around 120(!) episodes. I know that it's loosely based off the books, but come on, who can honestly keep track of what's going on anymore?

Since Ravenswood was picked up, I'm guessing this can't bode well for either The Lying Game or Bunheads. I don't think ABC Family has the stones to cancel TWO dramas at once.
Hell ya a fifth season, although from what happened it doesn't seem like they have enough for two more season, but I am sure the writers will come up with something good. And for the spin off I'm sure it'll be good if its from the same people who bring us PLL. Also renew The Lying Game ABC Family.
seems lame. I don't think I'll watch.
I would like to think that the characters from both shows would find a way to interact at some point. It sounds like Ravenswood will be awesome, especially coming from the producers of PPL. Although I’m working nights now at my job at DISH, I know I don’t want to miss what’s down the road for the Liars or the five strangers of Ravenswood. That’s why I’ve put DISH Anywhere on my tablet, so I can access all my live and recorded programming anywhere I am. I don’t have to miss any of my shows even though I working and my lunch breaks are more entertaining.
Like everyone else I don't see how it's a spinn off unless a few of the characters from PLL are involved.
The only thing that kind of see is if they do a crossover episode or 2 like Nick and Disney has done with certain series when the shows with magic and not collide. ex: Wizards of Waverley place has an episode with Hannah Montana and The Suite Life. Or Jimmy Neutron and Fairly Odd Parents.
Are they using this as a method to let some eerie stuff happen in PLL?
Also a lot of people have commented on keeping up with the girls after high school when they are adults. While they're are plenty of adults stuck in A's web, this show has like a horrible concept of time. Besides the Halloween episodes we get almost no Holidays, and haven't celebrated any of the Liars birthdays that I can remember. So who know's how long their gonna try to drag out them being in HS and the summer after.
I thought a spinoff was supposed to be in the same universe as the show it was spun off from. How can there be a supernatural town a stone's throw away from Rosewood which is psychopath central. I don't see the connection...having the same producers doesn't mean it should be a spinoff.

Also been let down by the past season of pll they really need to pick up their game.
I am glad to see that at least some people here don't believe anything they read. Of course it is not a spin-off. Nothing about the new show suggests a spin-off... Unless A is now a witch that casts magical curses. It is just from the people of PLLs.
I just want "Bunheads" and "Switched at Birth" back. They can do what they want to with the rest of the schedule.
Switched at Birth really stepped up their game this season. They really deserve a renewal!
To be completely blunt, im not all that excited for season 4 seeing as how although pretty little is still as popular as it once was, i think the story itself is slowly dying. The show is just continuously hanging itself. My excitement for the season 5 pick-up is moderately low at the moment hopefully, the next few seasons can focus more on answering the questions that have been piling up over the last few years instead of adding more and more to the pile and leaving certain things undone from as far back as season one.

and as for the "spin-off" it doesn't sound like the type of show that would be lasting quite long i give it one season, if it last any longer i shall be surprised.
I'm not entirely sure why Ravenswood is marked as a spin-off? This whole "deadly curse" thing makes me question if the show will be supernatural-esque but that would mean PLL is... I'll wait and see as we find out new details.

Super happy for PLL's S5 pick up!
Probably because we'll see characters from PLL on it who aren't just new characters like Holden, Sean, or Noel. Basically all the character who after we stopped suspecting they were A just disappeared.
If it really is a spin-off, then I hope it's not a traditional one with a strong connection to PLL. They just always feel like such blatant attempts to make money off working concepts. Some of them can be well received, like Angel. But they are also big risks. The audience might feel the spin-off is tainting the legacy of the original show and not watch it at all. Hopefully Ravenswood is sufficiently stand-alone to stand on its own feet. But I am sceptical. I doubt it'll survive for long.
emm...Very misleading headlines TV.COM. Definitely NOT a spin-off. Just a brand new show from the people that make PLL. A spin-off shares common character(s) with its original series. E.g. Joey is a Friends' spin-off or even UK's Torchwood is a Doctor Who's spin-off e.t.c.
The only reason why Ravenswood is touted as a spin-off is because it's not far from Rosewood.
No, it is a spin-off. Just the traditional type of spin-off you're thinking of. TV.com aren't the only ones reporting it as a spin-off, and if it's introduced during the PLL Halloween special as Deadline suggests then that cements the connection.

One or many people calling it a spin-off doesn't make it one. ABC family is just playful and wants to exploit PLLs as much as it can to the extend that it would call it a spin-off just for the town name's sake, even though the new series will be in a completely different universe. I am assuming from the plot it will be sci-fi, unless curses are now a thing in PLLs... Plus there won't be any common characters or absolutely any link to the PLLs story. So, No. It is not a spin-off.
This comment has been removed.
Hmmmm, they need to go back to basics with this, and no, I wont be watching Ravenswood
Hmmm... I'm not sure I'm excited about this. I think PLL has tried that mysterious town arc for 3 seasons now and we all have issues with what they tell and don't tell us, so a spin off about that?... I'd like to hear more details before I make up my mind
Meanwhile, no word on The Lying game or Bunheads....
If PPL keeps following the same story as the books then there is lots left to show however filming could get complicated when the girls go off to university. The spinoff sounds like a bad idea. They would be better off marketing it as a separate new show because that what it sounds like.
What about Bunheads!!!!!?????
Staff
Still no word on Bunheads. :(
come on, PLL gets renewed on advanced, and no word from Bunheads?! I wanna cry.
I've got a bad feeling about this :(
Jericho had it's peanuts.
I say we start sending buns and other baked goods to the studio execs until they get the message
I know Fanny & Michelle don't always get along but civil war??!!
Well I guess any war that was fought in pointe shoes would be about as civil as any war gets
Let's say, it works. They will give us 7 episodes during which they will kill one of the most beloved characters and later they will leaves us with a GIGANTIC cliffhanger like the beginning of the Second American Civil War.

No, thanks. I don't want to go through that ever again.
Yay? As much as I like PLL, following TVD's example by getting a spin-off may be a bad idea.
Also think that Season 5 should be its last season because trying to keep up with all the threads of the mystery surrounding -A and Alison's death(?) is exhausting.
Yeah, I am pretty much lost by now. One reason is splitting the seasons, so time goes by and you forget stuff. Add to that little inexplicable things that occur on occasion and it gets convoluted. You literally need a score card for who did what to whom and why.

My biggest problem is the main motive as to why "A" is doing what she/he/they are doing to justify tormenting and manipulating the girls. Maybe I missed it? Did one of them kill Allison? All of them? Is it revenge or more of a game for some reason? Is Allison really dead? Spoilers were revealed about that and a sister, but are they actually following the books, which I've not read, or are they doing their own spin on it? Answer these questions, or at least the motive, and carry on from there so we get it without the constant dragging it out to nowhere.
So many questions that are raised and barely enough answers to understand this show. Also PLL has a webseries that gives out hints and clues that some of us may have missed during hiatus. That maybe one of the reasons why there's gaps in our knowledge and why we feel so lost.
I did not know about the web series. I hate those, as many don't have time or desire to have to go online for stuff they should be including in the show itself, if important, and on those rare times I have seen something related online, it's not important. The only thing I cared about was Top Chef's Last Chance Kitchen :0)
Not sure what to think of this. I like PLL, I'm glad its returning, but I feel like knowing there will be another season will weaken season 4. And Ravenwood just sounds weird.