Pretty Little Liars' Summer Finale: Chekhov's Gun Goes Off

Pretty Little Liars S03E12: "The Lady Killer"

Wow, okay. I trust we’ve all had time to decompress?

As promised, Pretty Little Liars’ midseason finale did not hold back: a character death, a character’s life in jeopardy, the reveal of Maya’s killer, and the unmasking of the second “A.”

Well, maybe. I’m not so certain about those last two.

Nate makes sense as Maya’s killer, but do we think he actually did it? As I've said before, his motive is clear—and now we know he was definitely a homicidal psychopath—but that doesn’t link Maya to Alison at all. Her death couldn’t have just been about Nate’s insane jealousy: In the video Nate showed Emily, Maya talked about the mess she’d gotten herself into, and only then mentioned separately that her stalker had found her again.

Of course, it’s possible that “A” just got lucky, and Nate taking Maya out of the picture was serendipitous—just like Nate inadvertently got Garrett out of prison by taking the blame for Maya’s murder.

When it comes to Nate, PLL's writers might have dropped too many hints, because I don’t think any of us were that surprised by his reveal as the stalker. If anything, I was annoyed that Emily was so dense as to believe him—didn’t his creepy behavior in last week’s episode merit keeping some distance? It also felt a little absurd that she agreed to go away with him without ever having met the rest of his family. You know better than that, Em.

But enough about Nate. Let’s talk about Toby. That last scene between Mona and Toby was pretty killer; I’m sure I wasn’t alone in thinking we wouldn’t get a peek under that hood. The reveal of Toby was the first major gasp moment Pretty Little Liars has offered in a while. But do we really believe he’s bad?

Here’s the thing: It totally makes sense that Toby would try to infiltrate the “A” gang in order to protect Spencer and her friends. So, yes, Toby could just be undercover, faking it. I don’t know, though—does the timeline really make sense? If Toby is only pretending to be the second “A,” how long has he been doing it? I don’t think Mona would really buy the idea unless he’s been in it for a long while. Honestly, I can see it going either way, and given how much PLL fans love Toby (and Spencer/Toby), I would not be surprised if this is all just a trick. I’m just saying, I’m not convinced.

If Toby isn’t playing both sides, though, who called Emily to warn her about Nate? The mind, it boggles.

All speculation aside, the midseason finale was a fun and stressful episode. The scenes of Emily and Nate in the lighthouse were some of the scariest Pretty Little Liars has ever done, and the in media res opening was definitely effective. (I really thought Caleb was going to die. Now I’m 99 percent sure he’ll pull through.) I’m glad that the next episode we’re getting is a Halloween special, because I really just want Pretty Little Liars to up the creep factor. The relationship stuff is great and all, but I like getting spooked.

Normally this show's midseason finales leave me wanting more, and I’m always frustrated that I have to wait several months (only two in this case) for the next episode. But there was something satisfying about this. I’m content to wait it out for a while, even if it means endless speculation about Toby’s true loyalty. Let’s sit back, catch our breath, and wait for Pretty Little Liars to help us celebrate Halloween.

QUESTIONS:

– Okay, have at it: Is Toby really the second “A,” or is he playing Mona?

– Did Nate actually kill Maya?

– Caleb’s going to be okay, right?

Pretty Little Liars "The Lady Killer" Photos

I think Toby is definitely actually A, he totally has the motives. Alison and the four girls tortured him, and Jenna sexually abused him, and it's likely she's getting -A messages also. In addition, remember on 2x25 when Mona attempted to recruit SPENCER for the A team? That can't be a coincidence, she must have tried to get her in particular since Toby truly loves her and wants her to join him in his pursuit of evil.
1. Toby as the second A is as dumb as Mona being A in the first place, if he's really A why don't we see his face again when A makes a phonecall in the last seconds????

2. Nate probably killed by negligence, he looked pretty twisted.

3. Caleb's useless but he'll survive.

To conclude, am I the only one still suspecting Aria as the one and only original A???

In this episode, she has once again the possibility to make things right by telling the truth to Ezra and she blows it: she isn't the naive and sweet character producers want us to believe.
I hope the writers don't chicken out. When I saw the expression on Toby's face as he hugged Spencer earlier in the episode I got to wondering why I hadn't considered him since last season as being an 'A'. That led me think about how Spencer is easily the smartest of the group and could she really be fooled? At that moment I decided that Toby wasn't who he seemed to be. So why, oh why, was I still shocked 20-30 minutes later when he was revealed as the 'second A'? I really hope that the writers don't back track in some way. Spencer is looking everywhere to find 'A' (or 'A's) but for the answer she's looking for to be literally sleeping with her. The fall out from this (presumably at the end of the season) is going to be catastophic for Spencer, which in one way I'm not looking forward to because she's my favorite, but I am in another way because it will give Troian a fantastic opportunity to show off some more of her acting ability.

As for the Nate situation, I think he really did kill Maya but I don't get how this storyline fit's in with A any more, even though the writers have clearly alluded to the fact that they are connected all season. I get the impression that the writers have perhaps lost their way a little.

As for the Aria/Ezra/Ezra-has-a-son storyline... I don't care. There isn't enough interference from 'A' to keep it interesting.

Which leaves Caleb. He'll survive. I'd put money on it. As someone below commented, if someone who's been shot doesn't die by the end of the episode then they will pull through.
I also noticed the weird look on Toby's face as he was hugging Spencer. Maybe he's forced to be on Team A for some reason? I'm sure he IS a good guy and that he does love Spencer for real. Really thought Caleb was gonna die, glad he didn't. Poor Hannah.
I just re-watched S3E6 of Pretty Little Liars, and I noticed this. This is when Emily is remembering glimpses from the night she was drugged. Pretty clear it is Toby in the reflection here, don't you think?

Photo--> http://wavesmountainshigh.tumblr.com/post/30601826240/so-i-just-re-watched-s3e6-of-pretty-little-liars
I've been reading spoilers.. and it's all bringing up an urgent question: Is there an end-date to this show? I mean, I like it, that's not the problem. I just have to wonder how long they can drag this on for - and is dragging it on really a good thing? I just feel all mystery-shows should wrap up some of their plotlines as they go along. PLL hasn't wrapped up a single one - but started several more since the initial ones.

I can't help comparing the handling of the plot to that of the show Veronica Mars. That too was a mystery based show - but it had archs - some for a season, some just a couple of episodes. But they did tie loose ends together (even if it led to more loose ends). Can this be achieved for PLL - can we get rid of some loose ends here?
Caleb is fine. Toby is really one of the A:s

Nate shot Caleb. writers confirmed it. http://www.wetpaint.com/pretty-little-liars/articles/who-shot-caleb-on-pretty-little-liars-writer-bryan-holdman-answers
I read an interview where they said that Toby is not faking being A and we'll find out in the second half of the season more about his backstory and why he's on Team A.

I don't think Nate killed Maya. I think this is just like the Ian thing.

My guess is, if they don't die in the episode where they get shot, they'll probably pull through .
As much as I love PLL, it very rarely provides me any "gasp moments" (although this may have to do with the fact that I have read the books so I already knew about Mona being A), but I have to say that the moment "A" turned around and it was Toby, I literally gasped and said "Oh my god! Are you serious?!". Honestly, I don't know what Toby's intentions are, but I'm still hoping that its all just a trick on his part.

All that aside, I think definately think that the person who called Emily while all the liars were in the hospital was Garett (or A sending a message for Garett). If it weren't for Emily, the police wouldn't have found out about Nate, or whatever his real name is, and Garett wouldn't have had his charges dropped. That's why he "owed her one". However, I'm thinking that whoever called her at the cabin was probably the same person or someone else associated with A. Why else would they use the altered voice? If it turns out that Toby's working as a double agent, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one who called because he knew what would happen and didn't want Emily to get hurt....or maybe it was just Garett having a moment of mercy....
At the time Mona was revealed as the first A, during the episode, she was acting weird leading me to ponder whether she could be A.

Now in this episode same thing happened. Am I the only one who got a weird vibe when Toby said "I love you" they hugged and then camera focus on his face?

I noticed a funny look on his face at that moment too. I'm not sure if he was tearing up or not but I remember thinking that it was an odd moment to pause on his face.
I know, I noticed that too... I know Marlene confirmed that Toby does have bad intentions when he joined the A team (when and why?? Who knows!) but when Spencer and Toby were hugging in her living room, Toby looked liked he began to tear up. But I think maybe its just me or does any one notice it too?
Awesome episode, I agree that Nate has seemed fishy for a while. And I gotta say, I sometimes get annoyed by Ashley Bensons acting, but man, the crying she did over Caleb was powerful! And I really liked the ending with the poster and returning date.
This is messed up. I can accept that I don't understand a show like Lost, but not understanding a show on ABC Family makes me peeved. I'm 100% sure that the writers have lost track of all the tiny clues they have scattered around. There are too many things that do not add up, and what's more annoying is that we usually don't get answers to all the questions. I'm a very detail oriented person, and seeing these clues thrown around, and then forgotten, is pretty annoying. I can't focus on the big picture without the tiny pieces fitting seamlessly together. What, for example, did Jenna give to the mystery person in the park in the last episode of season two?

The only thing that sufficiently explains all the things that have happened to and around the girls is that every single person (excluding maybe the elderly family members) close to them is part of the A-team. But if that's the case, it kind of takes away the mystery of the show.
I did not expect to see Toby behind that hood....let me tell you that! PLL has done it again, what I thought to be a kind of week season so far, this episode was their best and spookiest episode yet. Can't wait for the halloween episode.
i'm guessing mona was the one who shot caleb... she's always been jealous of his relationship with hanna...

anyone else?
One Question that i don't understand :

Why did Caleb get shot and How?? Is it Nate Shooting him or is it his cover to protect Emily form stabbing Nate? or Did Emily Shoot him?

Can anyone give me any Idea??

Nate shot Caleb before he died
While it's cute that everyone is defending Toby, Marlene King has already tweeted that Toby has bad intentions. Admit it, that was a (heartbreaking), but great twist.
It's true! It is ALL confirmed.

1. Toby IS evil (YESSS!!)

2. Nate DID kill Maya.

Bonus: Mona, the old "A" is coming back soon!
Firstly I hope to god Toby is bad. I love the twisted characters, it be just too boring if he was doing it to protect the girls. Plus in the books Toby wasn't suppose to be a "nice" guy - he sexually abused Jenna..

I'm sure they the writers have confirmed that Nate did kill Maya

I don't reckon they'd kill off Caleb, he's just got the season regular status.
Toby hates Alison because she hurt Jenna but I don't see him wanting to hurt the liars. I think he is a reluntant member of team A or is using Mona. Nate was creepy from the start and little too suspicious. If he were close to Maya, she would have mentione him at least once to Emily.
on top of all the reasons everyone else said toby was A from the start i think he also was because A (toby) sabotoged spencers relationship with alex santiago. remember him...the tennis guy from spencers country club. he got an letter for a tennis camp and he didnt want to go and the only person he told was spencer. and then he got an email that he was signed up. A did it. So maybe toby did it to get rid of Alex because he still had feeling for spencer.

Cant wait to find out more about toby being A for real or if hes faking it!
I was not expecting to see Toby there at all. I love it when they manage to keep big things from spoiler sites.

Still wish this was a 12-episode seasoned show, because then things would be like this more often.
Is Toby really supposed to be the second A, or just someone working with A who betrayed everyone else? Either way, whether he's faking or not he's definitely donig it to protect Spencer,. I think maybe when he left before he went to search for answers, and maybe he managed to join A's team to keep Spencer safe.

It was pretty heavily implied that he did kill Maya. He didn't deny it when Emily called him out as the killer.

Yeah, definitely. Don't think they're killing him off.
does the caleb actor have a new pilot in the works by any chance, cause if so he's probs dead until it gets picked up.....
He doesn't. He was promoted to a series regular this season.
CALEB WON'T DIE, HE CAN'T.

I think Toby probably wanted answers since Spencer wasn't telling him anything, so he went to Mona.
And Mona, being the devious "A" she was and still is, would just trust him to tell him everything knowing he's so close to Spencer and the girls? I don't buy it. Toby had to be apart of the "A" Team from the start.
OMG where to begin. First of all, I KNEW IT!!! Toby was my pick to be the betrayer all along. It was really a shot in the dark, but Marlene kept saying the betrayer was going to shock us all, and the only people I would've been shocked at were any of the four liars (which, if it's going to happen at all, it won't be until the end of the series), their boyfriends (Ezra, Caleb, Toby) or the parents. I didn't want to be right, though. I was kind of hoping it would be Ezra, just to shake things up between him and Aria. But then I thought that he didn't really have much of a connection to Ali, and neither did Caleb. I'm really hoping that Toby is just playing the A team from the inside, trying to get information for the girls.

Honestly, though, while the rest of the internet was devastated over the A reveal, I was more sad about Caleb. Throughout Caleb's time on PLL, I've been kind of indifferent about him. But seeing him yesterday, and seeing what he went through to protect the girls, he's officially got my vote for favorite guy on the show. I was actually in tears with Hanna when they watched him being carted into the ambulance. I really do think he's going to be okay, because he was upgraded to series regular this season. And they wouldn't do that, just to kill him off, right? I dunno. I don't understand how TV shows go sometimes lol. But I'm praying that he's okay.

Now that you mention Nate, I'm really not sure if he killed Maya. He definitely had the motive. But I heard somewhere that Ali and Maya's killer is the same person, and as far as we know, Nate and Ali have absolutely no connection. Then again, we didn't know Paige and Ali had a past until last week. So anything can happen really.

All in all, this episode was amazing. It might be favorite episode material. It had me on the edge of my seat, and I was definitely screaming at my TV when that black hoodie turned around and Toby was in it. Can't wait until the Halloween episode. I hope we find out about Caleb's condition, then. I just wanna know he's alright! <3
caleb's going to be okey.he better be. yes, nate is the killer of maya.i don't trust the guy.toby is going undercover.he loves spencer.besides, he is a friend of emily. i really want to think that the A team includes mona, lucas and paige
- Maybe, maybe not. Tbh, I don't care, as long as Toby is not boring anymore. Which he won't be now :D

- I didn't think so, but writers confirmed over twitter? Oh, well.

- Caleb should be just fine, I'm not worried.

The episode was just ok for me. Scenes with Nate were creepy, but almost.everything else was rather boring and predictable.

When I saw Hannah crying at the beginning, it was obviously Caleb who came to mind and the episode did nothing to disprove that he was the one in danger. So I was hoping for a twist, with maybe Mona ending up killed. Oh, well.

Ezra is so boring now and so is his relationship with Aria. I guess their new storyline is supposed to be interesting, but it's just not working for me.

The only really memorable thing about the episode was, of course, Toby. At the beginning, Toby was a very interesting character, a tragic victim of A and Jenna, but never completely out of suspicion. Lately he has become super boring though, that's why I'm so happy the writers decided to make him relevant again. I don't know what reason he has to be doing what he's doing, but can't wait to find out! Also, after this twist, I hope writers give us more reason to be suspicious of other characters too. I miss the times when every character seemed guilty of something.

And one more thing. This show needs more A! Not Mona, I never found her to be a compelling character, even after her reveal. I want the A who sends the girls messages after every major event, who forces them into doing things, who is messing with their relationships and their friendship and who keeps them on their toes every single moment. Aria found out Ezra has a kid and A hasn't written her one message about it? Come on. Everything feels way too safe now. If Toby really is A then he needs to step up his game :D

I am always lost with this show! So I refuse to guess what is going to happen because i guarantee there will be a hundred twists that will change our minds before we finally find out what is going on in 4 seasons time haha. After a somewhat satisfying, but confusing midseason finale I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.
I'm sorry but I've always believed Toby was in on the A team, even though no one wants it to be that way. So my guess is that it's for real, not some sort of Spencer protection.

iShivi made some amazing points about Toby in the comments below and I completely agree!

Also I knew from the very first scene Nate was in that there was something sketchy going on there! I just wasn't sure what because I totally forgot Maya had a stalker!
The writers have confirmed via Twitter that Nate DID kill Maya due to his jealously at being dumped for Emily.

They've been quiet on the Toby front though, from what I've seen checking around. I am hoping that he's just trying to help from the inside. I know that the network is going to want to stir up as much talk and viewers as it can, but why make such a big deal regarding the Betrayer if said person isn't actually betraying them. It brings up a lot of questions regardless of which side he is actually on.
I'm really curious as to who shot Caleb. It's a huge mystery! Nate looked pretty far gone so I doubt he could have done it but if someone else did it, wouldn't Emily have seen? And wouldn't she have told her friends? She was up there too and definitely would have noticed if someone else was. Even if the lights went out she would have heard someone leaving or shuffling around. I just feel like she would have to know something. (Unless Nate did do it, then it's kind of obvious) Anyways I don't think we need to worry about Caleb dying, Hanna seems happy in the halloween episode previews.

As for the Toby situation, I think it could go two ways

1)He was part of the A-team from the beginning. He was intentionally trying to get close to one of the girls and after his relationship with Emily failed, he had a second chance with Spencer. Maybe he actually did fall for her but was already in too deep. It would explain why nothing HORRIBLY terrible has happened to Spencer. I mean no serious injuries or anything. Hanna was hit by a car and Emily was attacked in the greenhouse and drugged and set up. But I can't recall anything awful happening to Spencer other than A meddling with her relationships and school work. It would also explain a few of the odd things Toby has done or said. One that stands out is from the episode where Spencer gets attacked by Ian in the bell tower. Earlier that day Toby has said to her something along the lines of "If you need me, I'll be there, I mean it". It would make sense that he would be there if he was A and he was the one who planned it all. It would also make sense that he would push him to protect Spencer and he is strong enough to move the body.

2)I would really rather this one be true since Toby is my favourite character ever! He just joined the A team to get information and help Spencer and the girls. He did say to Spencer a few episodes ago before he left "if you don't give me answers, I'll find them out myself" so maybe he did just that. It would explain why he has been away recently. He went and talked to Mona and made an agreement that he'd find a way to help her get out if he could get into the A team. Or just was able to convince her somehow (not sure about this because Mona is smart and I'm not sure if they would not just randomly let him in especially him being Spencer's boyfriend). So he was either able to be really convincing or they pretended to let him into the 'A' team but are just going to end up screwing him over in the end. This scenario would also explain the scene at the end of one of the episodes where you see the real A standing in front of a jukebox handing the apartment key to another (or new) A. When Toby was accepted into the A team, A got him an apartment to use while Spencer thinks he is away working and to use as the new headquarter or whatever you would call it.

Anyways that's just a few of my opinions. And I do think Nate killed Maya, I feel like that whole storyline was just completely seperate from the A thing. Why would A kill Maya? She had no relation to Ali whatsoever.
Interesting! I've thought that Toby was tricking Mona and feigning her loyalty to her (unlikely, as she is so smart), but I never thought that SHE could be tricking him by pretending to accept him into the A team! She could be pretending to be so gullible as to believe he actually wants to be on the A team!!

As for A's relationship to Maya - A could want her dead just to mess with Emily. Also, Maya was hanging out at Noel's house and undoubtedly socialized with the A team (probably unbeknownst to her) so maybe in so doing, the A team just casually wasn't into her, and killed her for fun. Maya doesn't have a connection to Ali, but she does, probably, have a connection to the members of the A team.
It was definitely one of their best episodes and their best finale in my mind. Toby being A was a great twist but he very well could be going undercover for Spencer. Since Jenna clearly has ties to the A-Team, I don't see Toby voluntarily working with her. Also, I think it was Mona who warned Emily seeing as she really didn't seem happy to be going along with this plan. And I do think it was Nate who killed Maya.
I might buy that Toby has been faking it with Mona, it would explain a couple of things (and I was ready to suspect Caleb for very much the same reasons that I would justify this for Toby, I am very glad Caleb is a good guy though, I just hope Hanna stops trying to protect him) like that Jenna has seemed a little panicked this season, there is the idea of people trying to protect Emily (Toby and her are friends) and that nothing has happened to Spencer this season, but I am still confused over a bunch of things (not Maya's murder, I think Nate did that and Mona and Toby or whoever knew Maya died but didn't know who did it and decided for some reason to set up Paige - I am not sure why though), like, it was clearly a woman who visited Mona last season (I don't see Toby rocking a red raincoat) and Rosewood doesn't seem that big that he could hide in the town and A did a couple of things (like slipping the earring into both Aria's locker and Paige's bag) that either he had to return to do or there is someone else.
Also, Nate IS Maya's killer. Marlene King insisted that we would find out who Maya's killer was and that part of the story would be resolved and this episode would be "Justice for Maya." So, whether Nate specifically said "I killed Maya" or not, he is Maya's killer. Put two and two together and there you go.

As for who shot Caleb, it could NOT have been Emily. I mean, if Caleb lives (which he will, obviously), then it won't be hard for him to reveal that Emily shot him. Since this episode really gave tribute to the movie "Scream" I think it's also easy to infer that Nate in his final "Hoorah" was still alive after Emily stabbed him, but he was dying. Since Caleb put the gun down, it would be hard for Nate to grab it and shoot and die after from the movement, loss of blood, and excitement / shock.
Also, i.think the only way Emily shot Spencer was if he either went after Paige or if he was evil. do you think paige shot caleb
If nate killed maya why would he get garrett out of jail. also nate hates Emily because she took maya away from him but if he killed her didn't he take her away himself.

The reason why Garret was still in jail, even though proof had been shown that he wasn't Ali's murderer, was because he was still being accused of the murder for Maya. However, as we learned, Garret couldn't have killed Maya, because during the time of her murder, he was already arrested.

Now, since it was revealed that Nate was Maya's killer, the town no longer had reason to keep Garret locked up. He was innocent and dropped of all charges.

Why did Nate kill Maya? She loved Emily, she didn't love him. Maya kept blowing him off. He felt angry, he was clearly a psychopath, so he followed the "If I can't have you, no one can!" mantra and killed Maya.
But the question is still who shot caleb
Nate. I strongly believe it was Nate who shot Caleb and then he really died after that. It's a classic move in my opinion.
Oh okay and by nate doing garrett is out. got it! Good point
I've always believed that one of the girls is A/part of the A Team and personally it would make sense that it would be Emily, she's always come across as very suspicious to me and she was also in love with Ali and Ali rejected her. Emily has also been the most affected by A, possibly a cover so she can claim she's been the worst hit by A's torture. She was also one of the first ones to befriend Toby so what if she brought him into it? The things that have happened to him, maybe it was a coincidence or geniune accidents or maybe it was the A Team trying to keep him in line, a bit of a stretch and I'm hoping that it turns out he is playing double agent.

I'm not sure if Nate killed Maya, he was suspicious right from the start so it feels a bit like a cop out and like others have said, just because he's taken the blame/is guilty of killing her, that doesn't mean that Garrett didn't have anything to do with Ali's death.

I almost had a heart attack at the start of the episode and saw Hanna crying like that, I just knew that something was going to happen to Caleb but the writers would be crazy to get rid of him, so I think that he'll be alright.

Toby makes A LOT of sense when it comes to being on the "A" Team. He definitely has the motive, but beyond that, there's a lot of things that add up when you look back at the previous clues and things that happened that point to Toby.

For starters, he isn't always around. So while he says he's in another town working, he could easily just be working for the Big "A". For instance, was he the one who caused the car accident in the case of Caleb's mom?

Beyond that, Toby is...

- pretty eyes.

- the one to massage Emily in the spa.

- the one who out of the blue found Dr. Sullivan at the end of Season 2

- is likely the one to save Spencer from Ian in the Season 1 finale and was strong enough to move Ian's body.

Remember when Spencer lost that flash drive of all the videos from the NAT Club in the Church in Season 1? And remember when Ashley's pastor boyfriend found it? Now think back, remember when Toby went with Hanna to the church for that party? He probably planted the flash drive there! It would make sense he still had it if he was the one who saved Spencer in Season 1.

There are also clues, like when Spencer was tutoring Toby in French in Season 1. There was once a closing scene where "A" was listening to a French recording.

Then throughout Season 3 we have those closing scenes where "A" was looking for apartments and all that stuff. Obviously, that was Toby!

I think he's been apart of the "A" Team from the start.
Wow! Great work!
The things you remember from previous seasons...it's just...beyond amazing! I have trouble remembering the details from the two episodes ago LOL

The points you make are great...but I still (want to) believe that somehow Toby will end up being a good guy..but then again, what's the fun in that? :D
Interesting!! I had forgotten about his unexplained connection to Dr Sullivan in season 2. He had her number in his phone because it showed up when she called him! Why was she calling him? But wait, we do know that Mona was the one threatening Dr Sullivan's son, hence keeping her away from Rosewood for those few weeks. So maybe Toby didn't have anything to do with that.
Wow that has really given me a lot to think about but it sounds reaaly good!!!
Spencer and Toby, I like to call them Spoby lol. And if Toby is the second A, then why did they show a still hooded A ant the end?
I think because we are supposed to be wondering/worrying if it was Toby or not (disguised voice, so who knows!) because then we can wonder/worry if he's taking Spencer to the Halloween party to kill her or something!
Because there are several As and a Master A. My guess is Lucas, Noel, Jenna...are all working for the Master A which is Aria.
I think Jenna is completely innocent. I don't think she's wrapped up in the "A" Team. However, I don't think she's completely clueless either. I think the writers just love painting her as a pseudo-threat for the girls.
So nate didnt shoot caleb think about it. when caleb came in Emily hugged him and her back was to nate . so therefore if nate shot caleb Emily would of been shot too. therefore that doesn't make sense. i think it was paige or Emily who shot caleb. i don't trust caleb completely . and i have no idea about toby. And what about what maya said if nate was going to get garrett out. why would nate get garret out if he kiled maya. i have more questions than answers
Before I answer the questions I have a question of my own: Who shot Caleb? No really....it sounds like an obviouse answer but, who shot him. Supposedly Nate/Lindon was down on the ground bleeding to death. If it was Nate/Lindon who shot him then you could argue that if he was ok enough to shoot Caleb then he was ok enough to try a run for it. But he didn't, cause he was dead right?. So I'm back to my inicial question....Who shot Caleb?

1. I hope Toby isn't a real A-Team member. I originally thought he was up to something when he told Spencer "I am exactly where I need to be" when they were saying goodbye. But I never thought he would actually be ON the A-Team. Maybe doing some investigating of his own or following a lead...but not a member of the A-Team never that!

2. Yes, Nate/Lindon killed Maya. I have no doubt that he killed her. I have been saying he is Mayas murderer for the last 3 weeks and HA! I was right :)

I also agree with BriannaEason, just because Garrett was cleared of Mayas murder doesn't mean he doesn't have anything to do with Ally's.

3. Caleb is gonna be fine. I wish they would cut his hair, or at least brush it from time to time. It's hard for me to believe that someone as put together as Hanna wouldn't try to tame that hair.
My question is: who fired the gun? I Was pretty sure Nate was dead, and even if he wasn't, why would he shoot Caleb? His natural target would've been Emily, who just stabbed him. Was A in the tower?
I thought it was pretty obvious that Caleb had the gun on him, and it just went off when he hugged Emily.
They definitely made a point of showing Caleb set the gun down behind Emily. Pretty much this makes zero sense as to who shot Caleb. Im hoping Emily shot him.

Also anyone notice Aria had like nothing to do this entire episode.
Maybe Emily is A, lol
but what would Emily's motive to shoot Caleb be? Why would she do that to Hanna?

Oh, I didn't see he put it down. Then I wonder who shot him too!
Has anyone noticed that she never has anything major to do in the finales? Hanna got run down by a car/ruined her father's wedding, Emily got kidnapped by Nate, Spencer had a showdown with Ian/abducted by Mona. Aria usually just has relationship problems.
Caleb put the gun down and it was closer to nate and he hugged emily. If nate grabbed it and attempted to shoot emily caleb was looking that way he could have seen that nate was about to shoot and push emily to the side which is how he got shot!!! it makes way more sense then emily doing it or that he accidently did it himself, come on people dont be crazy!!!!!
THAT MAKES TOTAL SENSE! AHHAHAHA. yeah the idea of Caleb doing it to himself is crazy....
Awwwww, I like the idea of Caleb taking the bullet for Emily! That would be really fitting with his sweet, protective nature :). I had just figured it was dark and they couldn't see, but maybe you're right and he could!
i cried... i honestly don't know about Toby... I'M SO CONFLICTED! I don't think Mona would trust him enough if he infiltrated 4 episodes ago.
I didn't cry but I was on pins and needles so bad when I was watching this episode. My hands were shaking so bad that I could not hold my water bottle! I honestly think that this is the BEST PLL episode ever... so far.
I was SHOCKED that Toby was the hooded figure at the finale's end...

I agree with most theories that Toby has intentionally infiltrated the "A team," to protect Spencer. Toby, fed up with all the "A" drama that has affected his life and relationships since season 1, sets out in the Episode: Stolen Kisses, to put an end to it all. Toby is an intelligent guy, so I think he is very capable of manipulating/outwitting Mona. If this is the case, it could introduce an interesting roadblock in A's plans in the coming season. Could he be masquerading as an "A" member as a motive to shatter the A team alliance?

Playing devil's advocate...on the other hand...

There are numerous instances throughout the season that question Toby's innocence:

- He defends Garrett in his conversation with Spencer after she and Jason turned in the bracelet. He said something along the lines of: :"evidence gets distorted, so don't be so fast in passing judgement"

- Also, why does Jason flee after the car accident? Could Toby have been involved? Something smells fishy to me about the relationship between Toby and Jason...what do yall think?

- Also in the Episode: That Girl is Poison, Spencer makes an interesting comment to Toby: "It's so weird that the most honest person I know has to share parents with the most deceitful person in this town (referring to Jenna)." Toby seems to brush it off. Could it be that Spencer as it backwards? Could Toby be the deceitful one, and Jenna the honest one? I know it's kind of a stretch...

-Could Toby have been the one that set fire to Jason's house when Jenna was inside?

- There is also the tattoo (901 Free at Last on Toby's hip-bone. Although he claims it to symbolize the end of his relationship with Jenna, it could very well mark the date of Ali's disappearance previously assumed in Season 1. For some reason Season 3 features a number of scenes that call attention to this tattoo...
Were there times they mentioned his tattoo? In season 3? I don't remember any!

Interesting theories about Toby... I don't know, I just can't believe that he's actually evil. There must be something up. But, maybe he does have relationships with some of the other bad characters that we don't know about, that are affecting him, like when he defended Garrett - because come to think of it, has he ever explicitly said anything bad about any of them? Except for Jenna, he's made it clear he doesn't like her. But with all the others, its usually Spencer complaining about them, and Toby just listens and is all "supportive" but maybe his silence isn't support, its secret disagreement!
1. Toby IS really bad. Come on guys, a crazy sister and plenty of anger on everybody in this town. AND he mess up with the Hastings family. He must be nuts.

2. I think so. may be he was encouraged by the A-Team

3. Of course caleb's going to be okay. None of the girls lost his boyfriend by now. Okay, Em lost maya, but 2 dead bodies in one episode? Na, that's too much.
As soon as the episode started and Hanna was crying I was like, "Not Caleb, not Caleb, not Caleb, not Caleb!!!"

Sasou82 is clever for noticing a happy Hanna in the Halloween preview. Phew. And yeah, getting rid of him would probably be a dumb move anyway. But I knew there was going to be something with the gun as soon as we saw it in Hanna's room. I thought maybe the other A would be Lucas and Hanna would freak out and accidentally shoot him or something, and that's why she was crying - not because she cared for him per se, but because of the guilt and trauma of killing someone.

ANYWAY. I can NOT believe that Toby is A. No, really, I can't believe it. I refuse. I would have an easier time buying that Aria, or Ella, or... Malcolm was A. So there is definitely something up. My first thought was that he's just pretending to be on the A team. But no, that can't be it because the A team and Mona especially are like super geniuses - they'd never fall for false loyalty. Someone on another site suggested it might be Toby's twin? In which case Spence slept with a stranger. But it would make sense because Toby was acting different and detached all episode. Normally he looks into Spencer's eyes with so much love. Plus his hair was different.

I don't think Nate killed Maya. He loved her, he wouldn't kill her. Maybe he accidentally killed her though, like if she was running away from him or something and he got angry. But I think that ASSUMING that Garrett is now innocent because of this Nate/Emily/Paige drama is just another stupid conclusion by Rosewood's Finest.

Here's a question for everyone: It looks as though Paige, Aria, Spencer, and Hanna all got a text from A saying to meet at the graveyard at 10. Paige thinks her text was from Nate - was it? Or was A (Mona and apparently Toby) wanting the girls, sans Emily, plus Paige, to all meet there together? And why?? Some reveal? What was A's original plan, before they had to change it? And who called Mona?
I thought the plan they were talking about was to call Maya's phone, which pAige has but doesn't know about? That way, Paige looks like A.
Ohhhh, they were going to call it while they were all there at the cemetery?
I do like the idea of Toby having a twin, but I don't think that they would make the story that complicated....would they? Hmmmm....
I also love the idea of a twin Toby because i cannot buy Toby being A - at all! But do you not think it would have been mentioned by now? In previous episodes or something!

Again, I really like the idea that Spencers first time was maybe not with Toby but also, shes his girlfriend, do you not think she would have caught on that it was a different person she was in bed with? I don't know really!

I just hope this drama stays because i am loving these shocks and cliffhangers!
it was such a scary episode!

can't believe how stupid emily was, really...

when i saw toby coming back i was sure he was the betrayer they've been talking about... even more after he said goodbye to spencer... poor spencer...

i think nate killed maya and last week's episode had made it clear that gary wasn't the murderer, rt?! or not?

i really hope caleb doesn't die cuz he's the only one truly helping them
- First off I am going to say that the writers of PLL shocked me for the first time since I began watching this show. Second, when I saw the look in Toby's eyes when he was hugging Spencer I knew something was wrong, but would never have guessed he was on the A Team. I do think that little look in his eyes was him trying to clear his head of the love he felt for Spence so that he could go do whatever terrible deed he and Mona had planned. But, just like everyone else I do not think that Toby is a true blue betrAyer! At least I hope he's not. Besides the A's have done some pretty twisted stuff to him too (the fall off the scaffold to name one), so I think he's probably a double agent.

- Yes, I think that Landon (Nate) killed Maya, but that has nothing to do with Alison's murder so maybe Garret is still guilty of that!

- I would hope that the producers on this show are not crazy enough to kill off the hottest guy they have got on there... so I am praying that Caleb is gonna be fine. Plus Hanna seemed happy in the Halloween episode preview so I am sure he will pull through!