Pretty Little Liars: The "A" Train Is Approaching the Station

Pretty Little Liars S02E24: "If These Dolls Could Talk"

Okay, but seriously, who is “A”? The penultimate episode of Pretty Little Liars’ second season brought us one step closer to next week’s big reveal, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t dying to know. This mystery has been dragged out for so long; the tension has reached its breaking point. I need PLL to reveal the identity of its central antagonist—and I need to know how the show is going to move on from that moment. What will Season 3 look like if we know who “A” is?

But I’m getting ahead of myself. While Monday’s episode definitely had that “almost there” feel to it, it was an entertaining hour of television in and of itself. We’ll have plenty of time to discuss “A” after the season finale next week, so for now, let’s focus on everything else.

Are Aria and Ezra about to be parted for good? I doubt it, but for the first time, Pretty Little Liars actually convinced me that they might be. There have been so many obstacles thrown in their path, but up until now those obstacles have always felt like something the pair could overcome. The idea that Ezra may actually have to leave Rosewood forever does put a damper on their plans for a life together. I think it would be interesting to see Aria single for once, even though I like them as a couple. I’m also wondering what Ezra’s departure would mean for Aria’s now-strained relationship with her family.

The moment when Aria threatened to expose her dad’s affair was rough: Aria has done plenty of pouting over her parents’ disapproval of her relationship, but this was cruel. It was a side of Aria we haven’t really seen, and I commend the show for taking her character to such an unlikeable place. She’s willing to threaten her parents with blackmail in order to keep her relationship going—but while relationships come and go, parents are something you’re stuck with. I don’t know how Ella and Byron are supposed to forgive her at this point, or if she’s even interested in making amends.

Speaking of familial conflict, Spencer finally confronted Melissa with a whole lot of damning evidence—all of which Melissa deflected, naturally. I don’t think she’s “A,” especially since the episode was pointing us so clearly in that direction, but I do think she’s more involved than she’s letting on. I mean, she’s making out with Garrett, and that’s never good news. If Melissa didn’t kill Alison, maybe she knows who did. And might she also know who’s been tormenting the girls via text? I still think Peter is guilty somehow. I guess I just don’t trust the whole Hastings family.

And when it comes to ambiguous guilt, there is no character more baffling than Jenna, who seemed to come around this week. Except, wait, she’s still full of crap! As I suspected, Jenna made amends with the liars and told them they had nothing to fear from her. But if that’s the case, why is she still lying? I guessed that she wasn’t on the level about not getting her sight back, but I was also interested in her motivation for turning Garrett in. We know she knew what was on that page from Alison’s autopsy report, because we saw him give it to her in the first place. Jenna pinning it all on Garrett just makes me think she’s guilty.

Basically what I’m saying is, I’m as lost as I ever was. Monday’s episode only gave me more suspects to consider and more lies to think about. But I’m not frustrated, and I think that’s what distinguishes Pretty Little Liars from its less successful sister show The Lying Game. This season, Pretty Little Liars has done a much better job at extending the mystery without making it painful—we’re taking tiny steps forward, and we’re having fun along the way.

Of course, it helps a lot to know that “A” is going to be revealed next week. Please don’t let this be a trick.

Since we’re so close to the end of Season 2, I want to hear your theories on the big mysteries:

– Who killed Alison, and why?

– Who is “A”?

– How does Pretty Little Liars move forward after the big reveal?

spoiler naman oh! Tinanong ko si SimSimi Sino si A? Sumagot: Allison had a crazy twin sister who was locked in a mental institute, who traded places with Allison, so crazy twin was the one who got murdered and Allison is still alive. - Ayan, wala na tuloy suspense sa Pretty Little Liars
I know... A was mona in the books etc.. but I dont know why I keep thinking Mona is only pretending to receive messages from A... anyone thinking the same way?
Veronica Mars would've solved this in a couple of episodes :)
My guess is that the AUDIENCE finds out who A is but the girls don't. I don't think that will be as satisfying. Gossip Girl tried a similar angle with Georgina (making her GG and letting the audience see both sides of the action) and it didn't really work.
Aria and Ezra need to break up ALREADY!!...He is a bore and together they make me feel like I'm watching Everybody loves Raymond or some corny Morning sit com. Its like okay I get it he's a teacher and they have this forbiden love or whatever but Im bored with them there is no suspense , no thrill cause they really are corny enough to want to be together forever and lose on all the things that matter...Its like grow so Independence and care about something bigger then your boyfriend....I happen to love Hanna and her boyfriend they go through hard knocks and keep it exciting with their bad attitudes and snappy attitudes..

Maybe I'm wrong and I'm breaking all the hearts of those kleenex boxes and chocolate loves who watch chick flicks like the Notebook and ran to go see the vow...but Aria needs to go have some wild crazy night with Blonde delarentes across the street and be 19..

thats all I have to sayy lmaoo
I for one think that it was about time that Aria showed some iniciative and start confronting her parents!! Byron is an adulterer, for god's sake!! who is he to give lessons of morality!! and Ella, she can forgive her cheating husband but not her daugher??? Aria, who from my point of view has done nothing wrong!! Is not as if Ezra was a drug dealer or something!! come on!! And they wanted to send her to a boarding school!! I think that this show could actually be called pretty lying parents
There's a new mystery a-brewing, so either Ali's alive, or they go in search of ehr twin sister.
I don't think Aria did anything wrong. Threatening to send her to boarding school, that is weak. It was only fair what she said. We all know that she never would have done it anyway.
I am also positive that there is no twin sister. In the books there were two A's one was mona And the other was Allison becuase Allison killed her twin sister who had been pretending to be Allison. So i am almost positive that there won't be any twin sister stuff next week.
I've been constantly changing my mind about the killer and 'A'. I don't think they are the same person and I don't think they are in league together, mainly because I suspect that Spencers mother killed Alison and I doubt that she would be playing the games with their daughters. My other main suspicion is Aria's father. Allison threatens to tell the school board about his affair unless he pays her maybe $15k? He pays the money but she comes back for more, so he offs her and ships the family off to Iceland to avoid suspicion. The one person I'm sure didn't do it is Garrett, why would the show actually catch the culprit at the end of the penultimate episode? Just doesn't feel right to me.

I used to suspect that Mona was 'A' but now I'm not so sure. To be honest, I don't have any one person in mind for 'A', I'm just looking forward to finding out who it is. I really hope they don't somehow bring Alison back from the dead. I doubt that it's going to be Jenna, seems too obvious. I have occationally considered if one of the group is 'A', Hannah perhaps? I doubt it though.

I suspect once 'A' has been revealed we will discover that 'A' is either working for or being used by someone else. And just because 'A' is revealed doesn't mean the killer will be, so there is still that mystery to continue into season 3.

I don't know why but I thought that episode 24 was the season finale so I was really disappointed when in ended, now that I know there is still one more to come I think it was a great episode. I think Aria was right to blackmail her parents considering how her Father is behaving and considering he's a huge hypocrite. Aria isn't a little girl any more, petite and cute maybe, but still an adult and treating her like a child and trying to force Ezra out of the picture was only gong to back her into a corner. I was actually thinking two episodes ago that she should have threatened her Dad and called him on his hypocracy, but I suppose it was wrong of Aria to do that through her mother.

I guessed that Jenna was lying about not being able to see, bit obvious wasn't it?

One question I do have is what about the muder of the therapist (Annabeth Gish)? Who actually killed her? Was it 'A' or was it the same person that killed Alison? If I'm right about Spencers mother then I doubt that she killed the therapist, which would point to 'A' as the killer, especially considering she had figured out 'A's identity. So is the identity of 'A' worth killing over? Must have been. But who was it? I know that Jenna's Alpha ability is the power of persuasion, but could she really talk someone into murdering for her, just to keep it a secret that she's a text bully? I seriously doubt it. Who ever it is must have a lot more to lose and they obviously have a massive grudge against the gang and Mona for some reason. I don't know. I keep finding more reasons to rule people out than to rule them in.

I'm looking forward to next weeks episode and then to marathoning through both seasons just in time for the start of season 3.
Was the therapist killed? I can't remember that. Which episode was it?

Totally agree on the Aria blackmailing thing by the way.
The therapist wasnt killed, but she, like the old woman, was paid off by A. Or whoever that person with the black leather gloves is.
I completely forgot about that. I just remembered the therapist went missing and then the four of them get cought digging up a body. I'm going to marathon through both series in May before the next season starts - I need to get some (lots of) facts straight.
Yeah, I thought that was what happened. Got a bit confused by that post though.
Sorry if it was confusing, I always re-read my posts before I submit them but that one had a lot going on. I'll be a bit more clear in future (or at least I'll try to be).
I love how many people are thinking its a twin story line, I think that would be hilarious but I am sure PLL could make it work!
have you even read the books ???
do we know theres gonna be a 3rd season for sure? cause im worried that they're gonna drag this show out like greys anatomy or one tree hill. dont get me wrong , i love PPL and i think its one of the best shows this year. its just that i dont wanna see it get boring...
Yes they are set to start filming it in less than a month apparently, so hopefully they give us something good next season
A is Alison's crazy twin sister who was locked up in a mental ward. She killed her sister Alison, and is now stalking her friends.

You actually saw her twin sister in this last episode when Spencer woke up and saw her. That wasn't a dream, and they even had a conversation about it in the car a few minutes later, where Hanna said she'd seen A too and that it seemed completely real.

If they reveal A that doesn't mean they catch A. This person could remain hidden in the shadows and continue to mess with them for a long time to come, even if they knew who that person was. It's not like the police will believe Alison is stalking them, and they don't know about a twin...so they will just assume "A" is actually Alison somehow. Which will confuse them even more.
I hope A is WREN! With the help of Noel
i always liked spencer as a's killer because she's the one who came back to the barn alone when ali went missing in the pilot. i figure the show to be like lost and that a is ever changing or the like. there isn't talk of them actually trying to reveal who it is , is there?
Amazing episode, seriously one of the best of the series. I don't know what to think about Jenna, she is obviously involved but I was starting to think that she might have a soul with the whole explosion thing and everything but then what she did last night just confused me. I mean she up that loser to the police but why.

Also Aria totally crossed a line yesterday when she said that, I like them together but that was going too far. I'm really sad though that Ezra might have to live, I'm conflicted with their relationship and don't know what to think.

Also I hate melissa and feel bad for Spencer

Finally dolls are still super creepy, freaked me out

I don't think that A killed Ali, at least not the A that has been tormenting the liars. It has always seemed to me that A wants them to know who did it, as well as torturing them. I think that A is Ali and that she faked her death to get away from who ever was after her. I mean, Ali loved controlling her 'friends' with secrets and lies and the whole A thing just seems like something that she would do. As for the body that was found, Im not sure about the whole twin thing (that is really clich) but maybe it was someone else and A just switched the DNA samples- the show has already demonstrated that A has people doing their bidding all over the place, who's to say they don't have people in the police department or morgue. Ali also had a way of getting people to do what she wants, so it would make sense that Ali is the kind of person who could get a shrink or doll shop owner to lie for them.
Mona is SO involved. Imagine being bullied by a group of girls for years and then you have a chance to get revenge. She's taking it to extremes but I definitely think she's involved. She's "friends" with Hannah now so she has the inside scoop and I think she helped Emily blackmail the principle so A (her) would have something to text about. Did that make sense?

Did she know about the fire? Maybe she put the badge there. Maybe I just don't like her because she's so annoying (she really is).
I think Jenna is A, but it seems too obvious. I think she and Garrett killed Ali because Ali discovered A was Jenna. I think Melissa just sent Ali texts telling her to back off Ian; I don't think she's A or she killed Ali. I hope they don't bring in the twin, but if they reveal A, then what are they going to do in season three?

Maybe the girls will be wrong about A's identity, and season 3 will continue the mystery (but I hope they're right!) about A's identity.
Read somewhere that JENNA is the one with the twin sister and the twin is A! Apparently that explains why Jenna is nice sometimes (like in today's episode) and an evil witchat others. Apparently she is getting revenge on the girls for them blinding Jenna.

And even though i thought they were going with the twin story coz of the pic in Alison's bedroom, im not sure that it is her with a twin. Perhaps, she knew Jenna had a twin who got locked away and that is why she was telling the scary story to the kids she was babysitting...........(actually...i just realised she hadn't met Jenna by then. Oops. Bang goes that theory!)

But remember when she meets Jenna in the fancy dress shop and Alosin introduces herself and Jenna says "I know who you are." What was that about?

As for Jenna being A, just remembered that Jenna and Mona at the end of the Halloween episode looked like they were becoming friends when they walked off together!! That explains that Mona is helping A (Jenna's twin). Because Mona deffo seems involved but she's not A as its too obvious. Especially in this last episode with the dolls.

Also that Lisa producer, when asked about when the A reveal would happen, at the cliffhanger or in the moments leading up the cliffhanger, she said BOTH! That explains that it is revealed as Jena, but we then see that it's not Jenna but her twin sister.
I like your theory because IMO there's definitely a twin involved in there somewhere. Either A is Jenna's or Alison's twin or like I read in a review below someone (Melissa probably) killed a twin and the other became to learn about the killer's identity and then decided to go after the girls. So A could be Jenna's or Alison's twin or Alison herself since indeed twins have almost the same dna, which explains the missing page of the autopsy.

Again, lots of theories :)
i remember one of the episodes at a dance, the coat check lady commented on A having pretty eyes. so to me that rules out Caleb and Maya because both of them have brown eyes. also, i feel like it can't be maya because there would be a huge loophole in that especially because she had just moved there like a year after ali died so it just wouldn't make sense. if it were toby, then why was he so in love with spencer and also why would he be shown as a creepy, suspicious character in the first half of season 1? i feel like they would't make it that obvious....i honestly hope it is one of the girls because that would def. be shocking.. i always thought it was spencer but then they sort changed that for me after she openly was suspected of ali's murder....

ahhhh i can't wait till monday!
ok,,, A (in my opinion) is Mona cause in season 1,, many of the 4 liars individual secrets flashbacks , she was also there,, and in latest episode,, they though that Spencer's sister is A,, but she is clearly not, cause she is the one that probably killed Alison. That's why Ian protected her,,, and was against the 4 liars,,, because she killed Alison because of her relationship with Ian.
I was thinking....Are Jenna and Garret rich? Because being A seems to be expensive...she gives around lots of money...I don't think that these two can have all that cash...by the way, as anyone rewatched the series and seen if in the creepy outside-the-windows stalking we see Spencer talking to Melissa or their parents? I think that is someone in the Spencer family...maybe her mother...
ok I may be the only person in the world thinking this, but I think that A is Allison. I think the person who got killed was allison's twin. The police would only have checked the DNA of the body and identical twins have the same DNA just not the same fingerprints. Especially after last nights episode where Ali showed up at spencers house. She keeps showing up whenever the girls are medicated or sleeping so that she can see them but she makes it si they think they imagined it. I think shes trying to figure out who killed her sister(who probably thought they were killing allison)
no you are not I thought since early in the First Season, now I have only tossed around the twin idea in my head a few times, I have no theories involving twin, but here is food for thought why would ABC Family put on PLL, with their end game involving a twin, then follow that with the Lying Game,now I am not dissing your idea, because it does make but , ....
Alison was killed by A by accident.

Indeed, A is her hidden long lost twin sister!!!

I know it's very clich but that'd explain lots of stuff. for example, in the flashbacks, it's not Alison but her twin sister with the dark hair, she later put the wig in Alison's stuff. Then, in the episode, we have Spencer talking to Alison while sleeping but since she's taken medecines, she's not sleeping she's almost awake and confuses Alison with A, her sister. Moreover, it's not the first time we "see" Alison since her death. last, but not least, the kid's face at the end of the episode!!! He looks totally traumatized as if he's seeing a ghost, by the way, didn't he say earlier it must have been awful to die suffocating, hence his face, since according to his eyes he's really seeing A ghost!!!

I will probably be wrong but I'm kinda proud of my theories however, since it's the conclusions I've come to.

A is a mirror for the liars, because even though she's often frightening, she's sometimes helpful, as if they were dolls she's playing with. she must be coming out from a mental instiute...

A's identity might lift a weight on the show cuz the mystery was starting to be quite long. It might also kill it if not treated with attention. If A happens to be one of the characters we've suspected til now it'l be strange cuz we've been led to suspect everyone including the liars. Aria's attitude today was awful I almost suspected her, I guess anything can happen but I think a season 3 might still be working if written with care and there will be a lot to explain since a lot of people wanted Alison dead like Melissa says and she then adds "I'm not not the one you should really be afraid of!!!",

I guess it's gonna work only if th viewers konw who A is but not necessarily the liars or all of them, damn that's a lot to process, bye, teleporting next week!!!!
Oh, good God, I hope they won't bring a twin! It would be such a desperate thing to do!
The twin thing is in the book's. But i dont think its gonna be in this
I do have to say one thing first: Upon reading other peoples' opinions on who she may be, I would be really mad if 'A' is Melissa, Garret, Mona, Toby, Caleb, Maya, Jason, or Ezra, cause quite frankly, none of them seem like they could be 'A' at all. Even if they have motive, it sounds dumb. With Jenna, there is a possibility, due to her sinister/dangerous attitude, but I don't think she is either.

I was once told by someone who read the books that Allison had a twin sister that was sent off to an asylum when she was young, and that her twin escaped the hospital and ended up being murdered instead of Allison, so the real Allison was still out there and was the one hunting down the girls. Or was it that her twin was stalking/tormenting Allison out of anger cause Allison got the good life while she was trapped in a mental hospital, and then killed her, and continued being 'A'? I don't quite remember what I was told.

Im not even sure if the above plot line was really what happened (cause I never read the books myself), and I know the producers said it wasnt going to be like the books... but I honestly like the whole twin/asylum story and I hope the show does take a turn in that direction.
From what i've ever, in the books [SPOILER ALERT] A is Mona, but after the girls find out, there's another A. However, the producers have said that they're not necessarily following the books, so... maybe it's not Mona. All i know is that this is an highschool from hell!
I am positive a isnt mona becuase a was mona in the books and the executice producer said it isnt who it is in the books. So its not mona.
Love the episode summary, just have one thing to add: How creepy was that kid??!!! When the eyes behind the mask moved when the girls went into the shop at night I nearly screamed out loud!!!

- the idea is that A killed Alison because she discovered his/her identify and the same will happen to the girls if they try to do the same ( as the Alison doll made clear)

- For the identity of A I am leaning towards Mona or Toby. I think Jenna is the master mind behind everything, manipulating everyone to do her bidding. Melissa is to obvious to actually be A and Garrett can be excluded as he was probably in prison when A was bribing the old lady and the creepy kid ( i would keep my mouth shut for that lollipop as well!!)

- Just because we ll know who A is doesnt mean that everyone in the show will know too!!! She/he can continue torturing everyone in season 3. Who knows, maybe there will be a new villain to deal with other than A!!!
I know that kid was horrible, soooo creepy
As for who A is, it has to be someone around the girl's age, as A was born in 1994 so Melissa is out. There's been quite a few rumours flying about that the threat comes from within and they think it's Aria. She did show her vicious side this week so I wouldn't rule her out. Personally, I think it's Maya. Either that or someone we haven't met yet. Wouldn't it be the biggest slap in the face if A is revealed and we have no idea who they are? That is another way for the show to go forward. And then the big reveal in the season 3 premiere can be how A is connected to the girls.
I think we're going to learn who A is. But the girls aren't and we're not gonna learn if it was A that killed Ali and we're not gonna learn what A's motivation is. That is how the show will go forward. It'd be really interesting if A is tormenting the girls cos A thinks they killed Ali. That would be a real twist.
I think Aria's threat was totally understandable. If you keep it in context with the other Liars, she's had it the hardest in a way. While all the other families have their drama, they've always been supportive of their daughter. Sure, Spencer's dad and and Hanna's mom wanting to know who A is have put pressure on but they've never stopped trying to help and support them. From Aria's point of view, her parent's son't support her. They're doing everything to destroy the one thing that is even semi-functioning in her life. With A on her heels, a psycho brother only recently begun to recover and parents that are actively interfering with her life, you'd lash out too. It was a terrible thing for her to do but you can understand why she did it.
I'm more than positive that "A" is Mona. Mona has always wanted to fit in with the girls. I think she's pretending to be harassed by A so the girls won't figure out it's actually her. I mean it's smart of Mona to do that just because she's in the girl's click and she has all the power because the girls trust her now. When her and Caleb made out in the car to see if They could catch Melissa who knows if Mona sent that text to Hanna and Spencer without Caleb knowing.....

The writers said in a recent interview that A will be someone you least expect.
Mona would have been able to send the text easily, since Emily was the one who drove Caleb home. I'd like Mona to be A, because it would make a lot of sense (geek getting revenge on the mean girls) but I really don't think the writers are going in that direction.
I totally agree I am loving this season but so ready to find out who A is, and I hate Aria/Ezra they need to end
I am almost sure of two things. Number one. Jenna was never blind. Number 2. A did not kill Allison. Someone did but it is not the head honcho we have come to know and hate named A.
I get the feeling that they will reveal "A" in the last 2 minutes and next season they will show how "A" was able to do the things he/she did. That or they will reveal yet another "A" torturing these dumb chicks.

And idk where Aria gets off threatening her parents when they can easily have her man arrested.
- I feel like the Alison murder won't be unraveled until next season, but my current guess is Melissa and Ian, just because of these last two or so episodes where they've hinted at Melissa being A/the killer.

- For the last.... 10-15 episodes, I've had a growing suspicion that Mona is A, don't know why she would be, it's just that she seems to be around the main gang a lot and be the only nice person around. This episode made me feel way more confident that she is though (with only her, Caleb, and Melissa seemingly even being aware of the fake Caleb/Mona kiss) I'm quite confident it isn't Melissa simply because that's being hinted towards way more than it should. Caleb wouldn't make too much sense, and that just leaves Mona.

- Like I said, my guess is a stronger focus on the Alison murder case, as well as introducing another element or two into the show.

Also, I'd like to say that I'm guessing the next episode will have A going on a war path for some reason, telling everyone secrets like Aria dating Ezra, Hanna's mom stealing from the bank, and things like that. It just makes sense to me that the closer they get to finding out who A is, A will try harder and harder to distract them.
Well one of the cast member mentioned the third season of pretty little liars is going to be about the girls dealing with real issues whatever that means. I kind of hope the a angle stops with whoever this is and the third season shows the girls putting the lives and friendships back together after A. That would also mean the third season being the last which would be okay. my greatest fear is that the girls especially hanna become as unlikable as they are in the books. I think melissa killed alison because she find out about her and Ian and her miscarriage made her extremly emotional. I think A is toby and is playing them all.
I think A killed Alison because she uncovered the mystery about who A was and he/she couldn't bear to have his/her secret revealed. But why was A harassing Alison in the first place? I still think there's something weird going on with Alison and her death, like parts are missing. Maybe she has a twin. But that would be very cliche.

I don't think A is Melissa, because every thread of the show is pointing us towards that. It can't be Garrett, because I honestly don't think he has the intelligence to do it (and I would be very disappointed if he was) Jenna seems too likely a suspect, so I don't think she is, either. So who does that leave? All the parents seem too clueless to do anything, except Spencer's - but I don't think they'd hurt their own kids. Ezra's too far away from everything to be involved. Holden's character was never developed enough (and he just moved to town) Mona was A in the books, and even though she's rather suspicious, the producers told us the book's ending won't be the same as the tv show's. And Jason, well - he just doesn't seem right. Everyone treats him like a criminal - it would be too predictable to have him as A.

In my opinion, A is either Toby, Caleb, or maybe Maya. The three of them have had their suspicious moments, and they've been developed as such likable, innocent characters that you know there has to be something dark, deep down.

After the big reveal, the tension will drop dead. But maybe one of the Liars will be put in danger? Maybe someone will die? Something has to happen in the season finale just as shocking as A, that will be continued in the third season. But as for the main plot, I'm really not sure. Everything's been pointed toward finding out who A is - once it's revealed, what will the plot be focused on instead?