Pretty Little Liars: The Cabin in the Woods

Pretty Little Liars S03E10: "What Lies Beneath"

Is there some sort of rule in the Pretty Little Liars universe that when the mystery heats up the emotional stuff has to be especially dull? Maybe it’s because there was real action and detective work in this episode, but I majorly wanted to fast-forward through everything not involving Noel Kahn’s cabin. Yes, even Ella’s budding relationship with hunky Zach.

But like I said, the mystery stuff was all great: It feels as though we’re actually building to a resolution in the case of Maya’s murder. I’m thinking we might even find out whodunit by the end of this season—even if Ali’s murder and the mystery of the second “A” remain unsolved. I’d actually prefer if Pretty Little Liars tied up one loose end instead of leaving so many threads open, but I realize the show is pretty set on its juggling act.

I was glad that Noel volunteered the security footage: Even if he’s not directly involved in Maya’s murder, he knows something’s going on. You get the sense that all of these characters, whether major or minor, are somehow connected. I might get annoyed when Pretty Little Liars jumps around too much, but I do feel like the writers have some idea of how everything ties together. Now, whether we’ll see that anytime soon is anybody’s guess.

The scene with Emily and Hanna at the cabin was also great—it brought back the horror movie feel of the Halloween episode. The girls keep talking about how much worse this “A” is than Mona, but so far, I’m not really getting that same sense of terror. Pretty Little Liars needs to up the thriller factor with more scenes like the one in the cabin. Creeping the audience out is sometimes just as important as giving us answers.

But the rest of the episode was kind of a bust. I mentioned Ella and Zach, who are certainly cute together but taking up way too much screen time already. It’s a noble effort by the writers to integrate Ella into the story; so far, however, she’s just taking time away from the stuff we really care about. The adults on this show work best when they’re trying to insert themselves into the mystery. Their romantic foibles frankly aren’t relevant to the bigger picture.

Even the important relationships dragged for me, though. I’m still not sold on Emily and Paige, perhaps because Pretty Little Liars is being so aggressive about shoving it down our throats. Paige still strikes me as really unbalanced, and her behavior in this episode only underlined that. I will say that is was a brave and probably controversial choice to have Emily kiss Nate: She’s become a bit of a lesbian icon, and no one wants to see her “turn straight.” But she’s young and sexuality is a spectrum, and dammit, Nate reminds her of Maya. Is it really that weird that she’d turn to him in a moment of weakness (Incidentally, I still think Nate is full of crap. Who wants to bet that he’s responsible for the big betrayal they keep teasing?)

My increasing impatience always starts to get to me when Pretty Little Liars is on the air, but it doesn’t have to be this way: The show seems to either stall while waiting for a big reveal, or ramp up the action leading to a killer finale. "What Lies Beneath" gave us a little of both, and I just wish the writers had stuck to the darker elements.

Which reminds me—best line of the episode? Noel Kahn’s “It’s kind of hot that you think I’m capable of murder.” He is kind of sexily evil.

QUESTIONS:

– Are we spending too much time on Ella and Zach?

– How long until Hanna buckles and starts making out with Wren?

– Who grabbed Maya from behind?

I really liked Wren.. making him go hitting on 17-year-olds id really making him a yucky old man.. please stop that...
- Definitely spending too much time on Ella and Zach. They're boring.

- At this point I wouldn't mind Hannah hooking up with Wren. All the girls' relationship have become really boring, something needs to happen.

- I'd bet on A, but seeing as how another one should not be revealed any time soon, it's probably someone else. And I sure hope it is, because this season needs some big reveal.

Overall, I've had to major issues with this season:

1. General lack of any real drama between characters. The new characters that are all boring and some of the old characters that are now boring are the reason, it seems to me.

2. A is no longer a big presence. This A is supposed to be more sinister and dangerous, but honestly, for a whole season s/he's done nothing to pressure the girls, like Mona did. And with Jenna now a part of team boring, there's no one to feel like a real threat.

Two more episodes to go, but I don't see how the writers can suddenly make all those boring new characters worth something. But if they manage, it can get real good .
-Yes, too much time on Ella and Zach unless Zach turns out to be some shady duded who also knew Maya or Ali.

-Hopeful Hanna doesn't go for Wren. Only because Wren needs someone who's he's own age. Anyone else find it odd that a guy who's basically a dream package can't seem to a hot date his own age, not 10yrs younger. I mean he's hot, a doctor, and to top it off he has an accent.

-Hopefully we do find out Maya's killer soon, and another member of the A team. I don't really know who. It seems like Maya had a lot of secrets, like the fact that she had friends besides Emily lol.

AMidseason finale. Marlene has tweeted that two major things will be revealed.

1. Maya's killer

2. A member of the A team (BetrAyer)dd your comment..

I copied this and pasted this from(Lodilodilee) so does this that Marlene is back pedaling on her comment that Mona was "A" because I still think the she is a team member but not the ring leader just my opinion on to the episode I like see Ella and Zach, Hanna will never be with Wren even know Wren is pushing awfully hard!! who grab Maya a member of "A" team maybe the the person who grab Maya also killed her hopefully will find out soon!!!
I agree with you that we must get some answers because clues and more clues with no resolution is tiresome and boring. Some answers must be given to the audience before they come up with some other mystery.

For me Nate is simply creepy. I don't trust him at all and he is getting on my nerves. I will bet that he has a hidden agenda and he is not as heart-broken as he tries to act.

I am happy the writers gave Ella a handsome boyfriend because she deserves it. No more cheating ex-husbands who always get a great girlfriend. Ella needs a little happiness with someone great too.

I really like Wren and I hope to see more of him but I do not think he is right for Hanna. I do not know who would be good for him.

Ezra and Aria are becoming boring. He has a lot to hide, more than we see on the show. I do not think the money he had in his drawer were form the sold car. There is something more to the story.

Where is Jason? I want more of him. I would like to see him with Aria.

I get the impression everyone knows more about Ali's and Maya's murders but nobody is talking to the police. The Liars are always the ones that know the least.

Also do you remember when Jena met with someone in the woods on the bench? She gave that person something. Who did she meet with because I do not think it was Mona. It was someone else.

Please give us some more answers!!!

How come Noel Khann didn't give the footage with Maya to the police? That is withholding evince and it is a felony. I think he is one of the people who knows the most about everything that happens in that little town.
I don't remember that Ella & Zach storyline, I think I blocked it from my mind because I found it boring. Oh Wren, stop aiming after younger girls, if it didn't work with Spencer why do you think it would work with Hanna. I feel bad for Paige
- I like the Ella and Zach moments in the show, she deserves a bit of happiness as we know its going to turn bad eventually.

- Wren's hot, i don't blame her but he likes them young, Spenser then Hanna. Hanna should stick with Caleb tho.

- I reckon Nate has something to do with Maya's death, very strange that she never mentioned him and suddenly he's there.

I would like some more answer now, it seems to be dragging it on for the sake of it now x
This episode was so jumpy which I hate haha I had a heart attack when Maya was grabbed on camera! As much as I love Caleb and Hanna, I love Wren, he's babe and has a hot accent! Yes he's a doctor, but he's probably just out of med school by a year so he's like what...23? Wouldn't that be around the same age as Ezra?

Speaking of Ezra I'm hating his entire family backstory, it just seems completely random and out of no where. Ella and Zach are very cute, so they deserve a little screen time.

I'm glad the mystery is heating up I think after 3 years we deserve some answers!
If Wren is out of med school by a year wouldn't he have to be at least 26?
This episode was a lot better than last weeks. The Ella and Zach thing is fine at the moment. It's kind of giving you a double standard in a way. Ella is not fine with her daughter dating someone five to six years older than her, but she'll date someone ten years younger than her.

I'm not really liking the whole Hanna and Wren thing. He needs to stay away from teenage girls and keep his distance, from high schools. But, it's inevitable, she'll be sucking his face by the Summer finally.

We know it wasn't Moana, Garret, Jenna, or Noel. I'm going to rule Lucas and Caleb out. It's suppose to be a betrayal. I'm not sure about Maya's cousin, he creeps me out, with how forceful he is, but it seems to obvious. It would be a total betrayal if it was Emily. She killed Ali, because she played around with her knowing how she felt, then rejected her. Maya was going to leave her and run away to San Francisco. So, if she couldn't have her, then no one could have her. Or, maybe it's Paige, she already proved that she had a darkside, by trying to drown Emily in the school pool. But, then again she might end up dead, as A's way of torturing Emily. Of course Moana, gave a big hint to Hanna, by telling her "you can't even trust family". What if it is one of the girl's mothers?

Ok, and how stupid was it that Emily, wrapped Hanna's bloody leg in one of Maya's shirts?
- I actually like the whole Ella and Zach storyline... and it's cute the way Aria is giving her mom dating advice.

- God! I hope that Hanna cuts off the whole thing with Wren. I'm sorry but I think he is a perv who keeps preying on high school girls! I mean Come on Man! You are a doctor... I am sure there is some age appropriate gold digger out there he can hook up with!

- I still think that Nate killed Maya... maybe he wanted to get some (disgusting) action from his cuz and she rejected him!

This episode was okay... but definately missing was my eye candy! I miss my Toby and Caleb fix! And I bet that Maggie did not get the abortion... I think that Ezra might be a Daddy!
Totally agree. Dude is a doctor, which means 8+ years of university which makes him 8-10 years older than Spencer and Hanna. Which when you're 60 and 52, NBD, but 24 and 16 (ish) Yikes.
I loved how scary things got at the cabin, it really ramped up the plot for me. I really hate how Wren keeps pushing himself on these teenagers, and where did Caleb go? Is Tyler only allowed to appear in like 3 episodes a season? He is so much better than Wren
I liked the Ella/Zach stuff, it's a welcome change from the liars relationship drama.

Wren needs to find some girls his own age, like seriously.

I'm guessing whoever grabbed Maya is her killer but that doesn't necessarily have to be "A" as well. Did we ever find out who killed Alison? I'm having trouble remembering...
it was assumed to be Ian, but we never got full confirmation. The police are still investigating Ali's death though, that's why they want Hanna's blood.
homepage...

... fucking idiot.. no more kisses pictures ! i'm still watching season 2...

who's the idiot for checking up on CURRENT articles on the CURRENT season.

LMFAO.
dumbass... it's on the homepage... -_- I am not checking anything !

That's really your problem. There's a statute of limitations on spoiler warnings. If you're a season behind, the world doesn't stop for you. We're allowed to talk about the current season, it was your choice to come here.
^^ This person is smart.
well since the writers said that we'll find out who maya's killer is by the end of the season, i think its safe to say that one loose end will be tied up
Does that mean in the season three finale or the midseason finale?
Midseason finale. Marlene has tweeted that two major things will be revealed.

1. Maya's killer

2. A member of the A team (BetrAyer)
Does nobody else find it creepy that this Wren guy is only interested high school girls? for Ezra we made the exception (with time) but damn! 2 is too many!
ezra had the excuse that he didn't know aria was a high school student when they met but wren... tsk tsk tsk
Compared to last weeks boring episode, I actually thought this week's was a step up. We at least got to get rid of three suspects in Maya's death. But that still doesn't mean they're not a part of the A team or Ali's murder.

I am now completely convinced that Nate is NOT to be trusted. The way he harassed Jenna in the coffee shop was very stalker-like. And the way I see things happening is Nate killed Maya, and Paige is going to kill Nate. It might just be wishful thinking, but it seems plausible. And Hanna better start making out with Wren soon! I'm sorry, but if someone that hot fell into my lap, I don't care who he is, I'm getting a kiss!

Also! Marlene tweeted previously that we WILL find out who killed Maya in the summer finale, which is good. I'd like to have one mystery done away with. But I'm sure there will be even more to come from the fallout of that.

Love your reviews btw! :)
I like Ella and Zack I think they are cute and its about time she gets to be happy. And I think Wren needs to back the h*ll up or let Caleb come back and set him straight some lol. Caleb and Hanna belong together! P.S. really wish they would bring Toby back also! :(