Price, Lily, and Ryan Are Now Taking Your Questions About Their Amazon TV Pilot, Supanatural

Ed. note: At the end of last week, Amazon posted eight comedy pilots online for all the world to watch and rate. Basically, over the next month or so, the company plans to sample the pilots to anyone who wants to see them, and then it will take viewer feedback into account as it decides which ones to order to series. Since many of you have already checked them out and also since one of them was created by three friends of TV.com—writers Price Peterson, Lily Sparks, and Ryan Sandoval—we asked the three of them to tell us a little more about how this thing came to be. Below, you'll find their answers to some "Hey TV.com, Should I Watch This?"-style questions, and we encourage you to ask more in the comments, so Price and Lily and Ryan can do their best to answer them.

So, three TV.com writers made a pilot?

Yes! Three TV.com writers have earned the opportunity to put their money where their mouth is: To stop saying what makes good TV and try to actually make it. That show, Supanatural, is available NOW, on Amazon Prime, for FREE. It was created by Price Peterson, Lily Sparks, and Ryan Sandoval, and we’re not going to just do a normal “Hey TV.com Should I Watch This?” because let's be real YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD.

Pretty bold statements, you shameless self-promoters. What is Supanatural even about?

Ryan Sandoval: Supanatural is about two best friends with big attitudes who are the world's leading experts on the paranormal. They also work at the mall.

Price Peterson: To these ladies, larger-than-life dangers ain’t even a thing.  They handle demons, ghosts, ghouls, and nightmare creatures on the regular but frankly they'd rather just clear their DVR and gossip. Their most pressing issues are just the real-life concerns we all deal with: jerk bosses, lazy landlords, and that one hussy who works across the hall.

Lily Sparks: And they have to keep working day jobs, much like Indiana Jones did, because just recovering artifacts from temples doesn’t make you rich, you know? That artifact suddenly belongs to like, the Chilean Natural History Museum. And you’re out the $50 you spent on a pith helmet and bug spray.

R: It’s your typical story of overqualified people stuck in dead-end situations. Everyone has unappreciated passions or hidden talents. I can juggle chainsaws, but I’ll be damned if any office supervisor gave a care about it.

L:  Supanatural is set in basically my old hometown, a busy Connecticut city with ancient, colonial roots. So there’s a bunch of strip malls and fast food joints and Redbox disc rentals located right next to/on top of very old graveyards and haunted Victorian mansions. So yes there are pilgrim ghosts but they might just haunt a store that sells "YOLO" t-shirts.

P: In our pilot episode, the ladies are tasked with recovering an ancient doomsday device, a crystal skull. Unfortunately the hottest pop song of the day, "Junk Dick," samples the same melody that activates this doomsday device.  So of course that song is playing everywhere all the time, and all hell breaks loose when the crystal skull comes alive and tries to destroy the universe. Even worse, though, is the fact that the crystal skull is a HATER.

Who is behind Supanatural again?

R: Criminals.

P: The three of us, besties since college. And two amazing producers in Jason Micallef (Butter) and Kristen Schaal (Flight of the Conchords). Plus a dozen of the most hilarious working comedians alive.

Who is the intended audience for Supanatural?

P:  North Korea, ghosts, most sea mammals (NOT orcas).

R: Supanatural is for folks with attitude, or those who wish they had it.

P: It's also for people who love references to '90s R&B.

R: Supanatural is for people who are tired of seeing only hunky studs fight evil and go on adventures.

P: I am personally not tired of hunky studs fighting evil, but I'm definitely tired of super serious, unfunny people on my TV in general.

R:  Get off the TV, unfunny people.

P:  Jump in a dumpster, boring people.

L: And I think it’s important to say that every episode will be a mini horror movie made by people who love horror movies. The scary stuff is actually scary and we want to continue referencing horror and making it scarier and scarier.

P:
 Bottom line: We wanted to create a scary world navigated by main characters WE'D want to hang out with. That they are women of color shouldn't be such a big deal, but that aspect alone does make it pretty special too.

What do you think makes Supanatural work?

P: It's animated! We can have tons of voices, huge, huge celebrities! There is swearing and nudity. And it's heavily improvised, so our punchlines and tangents can be pretty unpredictable.

Obviously you're not going to tell me what's wrong with Supanatural, you're incredibly biased. So what did you learn by trying to make your own show instead of just making fun of somebody else's?

L: I really appreciate all TV shows on a whole new level now. Seeing how a single vision gets passed from highly specialized department to highly specialized department like a baton in a relay, it takes so many people working so hard together, and that makes the shows I love seem that much more special.

R: Be nice to the animators. Feed them candy and give them back rubs—sensual ones, if need be.

P: Right, this might sound shocking, but merely writing about TV (a.k.a. nitpicking episodes to death) is way easier than actually MAKING TV. We suddenly have a huge appreciation for people who do this for a living. I still hate procedurals, but holy moly, it's a miracle ANY show makes it to air at all.

Why Amazon, and why you guys?

P: Ryan, Lily, and I have been working on comedy ever since we met in college 45 years ago. We're talking live sketches, videos, things of that nature. At some point some of our work came to the attention of a couple of really funny producers we knew and they asked us if we had any ideas for a TV show. We definitely did and we made a little animated sizzle reel to prove it. A few pitch meetings later we were part of the new Amazon development process (itself a very open and futuristic way of doing things). That was last spring. After that came a long but exciting summer of developing the project, and then we finally got the official green light in the fall. We were set up at Titmouse Inc. (the amazing animation house behind Metalocalypse, China, IL, and countless others) and our pilot went from treatment to finished product in four months. It was all so fast and juicy!

R:  We also got free lunches.

P: Lunches were in the budget!

L:  And then like an idiot I went on a diet when what I should have been doing was mainlining hoagies.

R: “Woulda, shoulda, coulda...” —Lily’s tum-tum

P: Amazon is obviously the new kid in town, but in this case the new kid is this mysterious, very handsome, and effortlessly cool presence. Makes the girls swoon, is what we're saying. We simply can't believe how easy the process has been, and how laser-focused on quality Amazon has been. Everything Amazon wants to build in the realm of TV is futuristic. From letting audiences help pick shows, to the type of content it's interested in. Not that we're biased. This is a 100 percent bias-free interview, you guys.

R:  Amazon saved us from a life of e-crime.

P:  I'm actually e-criming people in another browser right now (sorry).

R:  Better open up legalzoom.com on a new tab.

P:  PLEASE WATCH OUR SHOW, everybody! And if you like it, rate it? And maybe tell your friends? You sincerely have the power to help us make more episodes, and we made this show for you. Our friends and peers. We really hope you like it.

If you've already seen Supanatural (watch it here), what did you think? And what other questions do you have for Price, Lily, and Ryan about the show and/or the TV-making process? They're now taking questions in the comments...

If for some ungodly reason Amazon doesn't pick up the show, do you guys have plans on pitching it to a major network? I love love love this show and have been doing anything I can to get it higher on Amazon's approval list. Your guys' idea is so unique and the writing is great!
Watched it....loved it! The characters, the dialogue, the hatin' crystal skull! My favorite quote? "Spider, please!" LOL! Good work, hope it gets picked up!
I had posted a similar query on Lily's most recent Once review, but it appears to have been removed, so it was probably too off-topic. In any event, this is an honest question:

One topic often discussed on that forum (after Lily's reviews, which are quite often the best part of the show) is that the producers/writers can get so off course without any apparent corrective mechanism in place. A sort of classic The Emperor Has No Clothes situation.

I am in a line of work where there are a lot of legal, ethical, peer feedback and science that strives to help us do good work much more often than not. But in the arts, of course, those sort of back-up, quality control devices simply are not relevant, as so much of it is individual effort.

So, as a group of 3 who have spent quite a bit of time as critics, now that you are on the other side of the table, are there any 'protections' that you are setting up to try to help yourselves see through what I will simply call 'the fog of the writer's room'?

I am genuinely curious. I am always fascinated by the ways we humans try to keep our work as high quality as possible, and yet how spectacularly we can sometimes develop blindness, even so.
Staff
PS, we didn't embed this into the review but here is an HD trailer!
I saw a thumbnail for Supanatural on IMDB!! IMDB!! THE HOME PAGE!! I was so excited and proud, and excited.....
since you asked what made me laugh, i made a list. its a big list...

favorite lines of the episode:
hez: consummation of all fears is upon us, ya'll
skull: hahahahaha hold on to your butts

favorite comedy:
hez: thats an outcome i did not anticipate
hez: plan b, threefeathers, i will pay you back with a sexual favor of your choosing
hez: threefeathers, i now owe you two sexual favors

favorite reading of a line:
lulu: girl, skull dont mean that, quit playin
skull: girl , skull yes he does

runners up (they were great, but had to pick a winner.)
delinda: that is a bad burrito. that burrito went inside me, it fought with every organ in my body, that is nothing that a mexican would serve anybody in the morning.
lulu: spider, please.
lulu: this day is crazy!
hez: it tickled when he licked it off my fingers.
lulu: demon is just another word for scrub.
skull: how rude
larry the store manager also had some fun office lines.

bonus points:
speaking in latin!

some of these have already gotten stuck in my head. i'm going to be quoting a pilot that no ones ever seen nor heard of. blank stares ahead!
Just checked out the show because I love you all so much not sure I am the target audience but it was a fun very interesting show for sure! And I am so so impressed you have actually made a tv show from start to finish that is an astonishing achievement. But I miss you all so much on the site with all your hilarious recaps and reviews, my tv viewing experience just isn't the same anymore. Goodluck anyway!
oh price i miss you so, and love your work, best wishes
Sure, theres a junk dick mp3, but what about the "you are my friend" song?? love your pilot, writing, characters, everything!

i'd love to see more horror stuff and adventures and linear plot. love absurd linear plots like the frisky dingo tv show. plus demons like ugly americans, plus friendships like hey monie.

are we going to see hezbah in a green hat doing a jig trying to catch the leaprachaun? because we need to see that. plus yoga showboating. and 'the bus'. the continuting adventures of hezzie and lulu!

ok whats on the shelf? a green bowling ball, a book thats been stitched shut, a giant gem, an alien/dino egg, some kind of pandoras box, a little mummy guy and a tool box.
Staff
Thank you so much! There will definitely be dancing and small hats if we go to season. Joe Wong was our composer and he made two original songs "I Wanna Be Your Boo" and "You Are My Friend" that are continually stuck in my head.
Staff
Wow good eyes and ears! Hopefully we'll get to send Hezzie and Lulu on all sorts of adventures. Thank you for your kind words!
As an older person - I just turned 65 - I still like what the young people like in some cases and I watched this out of respect for you guys on my favorite website ever. It wasn't bad is my initial reaction and I didn't laugh, but that doesn't mean anything. It was very watchable and I liked the characters, but Sam and Dean are definitely not in danger of losing their gig over this. Unlike many I have never thought Supernatural ever bad, just better at times than others. I don't understand why you chose this as it's pretty hard to make a decent parody of an excellent parody. I liked the whole mall thing and Crystal Skull was pretty cool. And I didn't find the gals annoying as there are much more annoying young people out there - and old ones too. I liked it that even I could relate to your characters and like them. The difference between generations is not all that much anymore and nobody has called me a curmudgeon yet. So you go guys, make it work for yourselves...
I don't think it's intended to be a parody of Supernatural, it helps to see it as its own show.
Okay, that seems fair enough, but you can surely see how I came to my conclusion there. And Supernatural surely is a parody of sorts. Okay, I have written a book recently which will be published soon based on you guys - primarily Tim's - final articles on the great show Fringe when it finished. Tim recognized the paradox problem at the end and stated that he didn't care but that Fringe was good enough to overlook this little problem. So I wrote a rather stirring comment explaining how he was not wrong and gave a more than reasonable explanation of how there was really not a problem with the ending. But I never posted it. I showed it to my wife and she told me I should write a book about it, so I did. The book is entitled A Brief History of Time Travel, which of course is about literary time travel as it the only kind that exists. Do I hope to gain favor for my title being so close to Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time - you betcha. Does anyone else on here equate Supra Natural with Supernatural? My guess would be yes. And I did say I liked it, I merely posed a question...
More +
Oh, and sorry about that Supra Natural thing, I must've misread it but now know it's SupaNatural - at least I think I do...
Yeah, using Occam's Razor you would assume that Supanatural is a parody of Supernatural.

To your other point, I definitely want to read your book! How can I get a copy? I think there was an unresolved paradox problem with Fringe's ending but I'm sure there could be a detailed solution that could explain it. The biggest problem is that with a point so tenuous the show should have addressed it properly but it was ignored because there was too much for the episode to do with providing emotional closure for the series. In my opinion you don't get credit for happening to be right unless you can back up your results.
I did a lot of research for the book and it's very comprehensive. I even sent an email to Hawking at Cambridge but haven't heard back as I hear the good professor is not doing too well these days, him being even older than me. As for the Fringe thing, the paradox was so obvious that the writers had to know about it and my explanation was confirmed in my research by David Gerrold who wrote the wonderful book The Man Who Folded Himself just to screw with time and backed it all up with incontrovertible logic. I have many friends on this site and when the book is released, hopefully in early May, I will offer it free on tv.com for one day just to give something back to my friends on this wonderful site. So yeah, you can get a copy - and thanks so much for asking.
This comment has been removed.
i watched this on sunday didnt know it was from all you guys, i didnt hate it but i didnt love it, would watch another episode to see if it improves, still my favorite was "those who cant". but i will say that yours was my second favorite all the others were pretty bad specially zombieland.
also, price we need urgent recaps we are begging you pleaseeeeeeee
Amazon did not open it to all the world
All the world is not just U.S.A and Canda
I watched from Australia, too.
I had no problem watching it from Australia.
i live in costa rica and i have access to it
Okay, so I wasn't really interested in the show based on the look and concept when I first read about it a couple of days ago, but since Lily and Price are tied to it, I had to give it a chance.

I enjoyed the pilot and hope the show gets picked up, but my main concern is that the character of Lucretia is...a bit... much, and I'm not sure how long I'd be able to tolerate her. I really enjoyed Hezbah's character though. There was one scene where the acting was iffy, but overall, I really liked the portrayal. I realize that Lucretia's over-the-top-ness is probably a draw for a lot of people, and she might not be as interesting if she were toned down, but she's the kind of character I can only tolerate in small doses. Assuming the show gets picked up, I hope you guys find a way to make whoever played the Crystal Skull a regular cast member because I enjoyed his delivery immensely.

Good luck, guys. I'll definitely vote for your show.
Staff
We also love the Crystal Skull so we're trying to figure out how we can bring it back, or simply just have that actor (Drew Droege) play additional characters, like the actors on The Simpsons do. Fingers crossed! Thank you so much.
it could be some kind of demon/scrub that can inhabit different artifacts. hes not the crystal skull, hes just a trickster who posesses various evil trinkets.

or he could just voice a different character, thats cool too.
Staff
So this is where you guys have been. Thanks for the insight as to how this all came to be. Adding this to my Amazon Prime watch list. This new tv model is definitely the future. Always happy to support.
Yay thanks! Miss you E!
Drat, since asking about the process behind this show the other day and being informed there would be an article and Q&A about it, I have been waiting to get to ask some insightful and meaningful questions. I guess I missed the chance. Damn you, international timezones!

Oh well, I guess I'll just ask instead, can I come and work on your show? I will work for sandwiches!
Staff
we'll all still be answering questions if you want to throw one out, sir!
Your terms are intriguing but in good faith I have to inform you sandwiches in the US are not the same thing as sandwiches abroad, just be aware of that. We don't even have Coronation salad over here.
Dang, now I probably am way to late. Seeing as you called me sir, though, and just in cases: Not to count your chickens before they hatch, but should this show go to series, how far ahead are you guys actually planning, in terms of running jokes, future episode ideas, etc...? Or are you going episode by episode?

You don't have Coronation Salad? What about Coronation Chicken? Hmm. I might have to rethink this. Or maybe just bring all the ingredients from this side of the pond and serve as your Coronation supplier and, instead of being paid in sandwiches, earn my keep as personal sandwich maker to you all whilst learning the tricks of the trade.
anyone have a torrent link? i can seem to find it
thanks
Not bad for a pilot episode. Although, to be honest, the two main characters kind of got on my nerves after a while (sorry). I did like the Crystal Skull and all his funny insults. If Supanatural is picked up, it'd be cool to see that character somehow come back in a recurring role.

My favorite part was with Andy the Reebok employee shouting, "Stop! This comes out of my paycheck!"
Staff
Ha that's awesome that you liked Andy. Hypothetically we would like him to be a regular character, and we definitely have ideas on how to bring back the crystal skull. Fingers crossed!
Please tell me the character who works at lady steps looks are inspired by Harry Styles.
Staff
At the time we designed that character I was reading A LOT of Larry Stylinson tumblrs (I was in a dark place in my life) and talking about it nonstop to Lily around the office, so we definitely had 1D on the brain.
Staff
Your eye is SHARP. Very much so.
and price you have to have a recurring character!!
Staff
Haha okay! I better brainstorm something up
Staff
Maybe the ghost of Sheriff Denise's husband?
First off... I loved the pilot. Definitely my kind of humor.
Second. This is more of a suggestion. Could you guys maybe have tons of references like in community. I really like those.
Last, this is going to hurt, but the animation could use some work. That's the ONLY thing i ddnt LOVE. Sorry :/
Staff
Oh, don't worry, there will be tons of references. There were tons in the pilot already. We are mental hoarders of pop culture so it tends to spill out in our writing.
Wow I was really impressed! It managed to be funny AND have a strong horror component AND have an intriguing plot that moved at breakneck speed with twists AND have good characters. I demand it be picked up stat!

The funniest bit for me was the Lucretia's this is not good / this is good sequence, awesome writing there. I also couldn't stop laughing at the chime in the candle shop that kept going off when people left.

Two questions:

1. Will the show's episodes follow a plot/subplot structure or will they stay with the one plot only structure of the pilot.

2. Will Price & Lily & Ryan photo recap each episode after they air, either individually or by working together?
Staff
We do like us some horror. Glad you enjoyed the door chime, that was a favorite sound of ours too.

1. If a story is funny enough and works well with a smaller story, then yeah, we'll go into subplot territory.

2. If we recapped our own show I think the universe would implode #physics
Staff
Yeah, especially as the secondary characters get more fleshed out, it'll be so fun to give them all their own little plotlines. Who knows! But thank you so much.
the show was great, I can't wait to see more, and I'm soo happy for you guys (: Its not usually the type of show I watch but I had to give it a shot for you guys, and it was h i l a r i o u s. (maybe I should watch those shows more often) Cant wait to see more
--ps gave you guys a good review on amazon too, i really hope it stays on, fingers crossed
Staff
God bless you. May your house increase in strength and power. May your children all be millionaires and may the miracle drug that reverses aging be invented in your lifetime.
I haven't seen it yet but will definitely check it out. Since I don't watch a lot of comedies, I was a little bit wary of this one but after reading the plot description and the responses to it, I'm definitely intrigued. Just one question, is this a parody of The CW's Supernatural? Anyways, I wish you all the best of luck!
P.S. I miss you, Price!!
Staff
Thank you! Yeah, summing up the show in one sentence is pretty hard, but we really hope people will be just curious enough to check it out. And I miss you too!
Staff
Ha ha - no, not a parody of the CW show.
Ok, thanks for taking the time to answer my question! I suspected that it was a parody because of the title along with the description and themes.
I was really excited that two of my favorite tv.com writers (one former :( but also :D ) were making a comedy with the amazing Kristen Schaal attached, but then I saw a description... I was fully preparing myself to be completely disappointed. I am happy to say that I loved it. Lot's of funny dialogue happening. The premise was muuuuch better than I anticipated. Can't wait to see more, lots of potential there. Crossing my fingers.
Staff
That is completely awesome to hear. We definitely don't mind people drawing conclusions before watching it so long as they give it a chance! Thanks so much
Is there any way to also get a short, fat guy involved in the process? Because that's one thing that supernatural shows are lacking of late.
I can say this for certain, it's better than probably at least 60% of the comedies I've seen in my life, and I definitely enjoyed it enough to want to see more!
Yay thanks!
Staff
Thank you very much, that's an awesome compliment.
You have picked a name that is impossible to google.
Staff
um, don't you mean "...impossible to bing"?
Staff
you might be right about that. (WHAT DO WE DO WHAT DO WE DO?!?!!?)
Staff
Time heals all google inadequacies.
Q. Will Riki be singing? Why not? What the hell? What's wrong with you?
all pipes are welcomed.
I haven't watched it yet, but I will definitely check it out. Price, you are
sorely missed here.
Staff
Aw thanks! I really hope you like it.
Come back, you can do both (jobs)
yes, x a billion
So I watched the show on the first and loved it. Had a laughing fit at "You know I go through your phone." And the homeless lady, I can't remember her name! But the burrito bit made me have to pause it.
Staff
Amazing! I really love hearing what specific parts make people laugh. In this case, both of those parts continue to make me laugh every time and I've seen this pilot a hundred times. Interestingly enough, those bits were both improvised, by Jameeliah Garrett and Kristen Schaal respectively. Just goes to show how valuable gifted improvisers can be to a comedy.
Well, I def gave you guys a good review, both on the site and in the survey. Hope you guys get picked up!

Oh and "Spider, please!" And "You know demon is just another word for scrub!"
Haven't had the change to see it yet, (keep remembering about it when I'm at work), but will do so soon, I promise. Having greatly enjoyed Price and Lily's recaps over the last year and a bit, (and having seen some pretty good reviews) I am looking forward to it.

I guess my only question (that you might not be able to answer) is whether, fingers crossed etc, it would get international distribution for those of us in the rest of the free world?
Staff
I believe there is a site named "LoveFilm" that should be carrying the pilots internationally
Staff
This comment has been removed.
Staff
Thank you so much. And while we don't know exactly what Amazon plans to do in the short term, I think it's reasonable to expect that they'll want to get their shows in front of every set of eyeballs in the world. Fingers definitely crossed!
Sorry, I didn't like the show. But good luck with it.
FAIR ENOUGH
YOU YELLED THAT FOR SOME REASON
Do you know much about Amazon Prime's strategy forwards? Would they go the Netflix route broadcasting all episodes at the same time, or would they do something more traditional?
Staff
That's a really good question, and we're just as excited to find out as everyone else. We know for a fact that they're looking to do things differently in general, but what that even means in this day and age will probably be pretty surprising.
I saw the pilot and really liked it, with only a few minor issues here and there. I seriously think that it was definitely one of the top candidates, and I will be somewhat surprised if it doesn't make it. Anyway, I did have a few questions:

1. In the pilot the vast majority of the time was spent in the town, while only a quick snippet at the beginning was spent in the more exotic, tomb locale. Can we expect this formula to pretty much become the norm: about a minute spent in some crazy location somewhere in the world, and the rest of the episode spent in town, and mostly at the mall? Or will there be large sections of, or even entire, episodes that actually take place in these tombs, dungeons, crypts, ruins, etc? I realize that the majority of your characters can't just randomly appear in these places, but I'm wondering to what extent having the town be the focus will limit your ability to explore new locations. Which really shouldn't be an issue, considering this is an animated show.

2. You mentioned in this interview that there will elements of horror in this show, along with the comedy. Are there other genres we can expect as well, such as mystery, for instance? Please let there be mysteries and twists, if only for me.

3. Are you really going to pull that classic TV stereotype where the main characters can never actually earn money in an episode? You know the one I'm talking about, where the moment someone mentions at the beginning of an episode that they will presumably be paid for something, you just know that they'll actually end the episode with the same amount of money they started with, or even less. This is a major pet peeve of mine, and it genuinely rustles my jimmies whenever I see it in a show. Lily, I know that at least you are with me on this. You mentioned in the interview that they have to work day jobs to actually sustain themselves, which I like because it somewhat explains how they can continue to do their supernatural shenanigans (which loses them money), while still being able to buy food and pay rent. However, in the pilot one of the characters specifically mentions that she won't be able to pay for rent because of all of this.

Why can't they utilize the skills they have to actually make money, and at least be able to comfortably pay their bills on time? I realize that I'm probably being a little harsh here, but I know that Lily in particular has asked this very same question about a number of different TV shows. And what's more, I think that because you three in particular are making this show, there is a potential to make a masterpiece that doesn't fall into all the classic traps and stereotypes that shows normally plummet into with wild abandon. Or, if Lucretia and Hezbah are going to constantly be losing money in everything they do, could you at least put a nod in there that you realize how ridiculous that is, and play off the fact that TV shows do this all the time? Please, for me?

Anyway, I enjoyed the pilot and I trust you guys to make a great show, provided it gets chosen, of course. It's certainly something that's never been done before, at least not that I've seen, and it's always nice to see a fresh concept work well. Congratulations that you've been able to get this far.

P.S. Supanatural has not yet been given a page on TV.com. This is a travesty.
Hey thanks!

1. For the most part we're definitely centering the world around the small town in CT where the characters live, but we won't feel constrained to keep them there all the time. So yes, expect some VERY interesting changes of scenery, from international locations to interdimensional ones. That these ladies can go anywhere at any time is crucial to their skills.

2. There will definitely be mystery elements, as well as romance, drama, and any other genre that works for the show. Obviously our main intent is to be funny, but we think mixing in unexpected references, twists, and genres will only enhance the comedy (and be more fun to watch!).

3. Point taken, definitely, but from our perspective, we the writers often find ourselves living paycheck to paycheck even while we've worked jobs that SEEM lucrative and glamorous. Sometimes it's just hard to get paid no matter how important the work. Also, financial problems are the biggest thing we all worry about in the day to day, and we think storytelling wise, it should always be the subtext of many of Hezbah and Lucretia's wants and desires. They frankly have better things to do than retrieve crystal skulls from Amazonian temples, but that extra $3500 was really going to go a long way with getting bills paid. As annoying as it might be for the viewer, I think that being short on funds is really relatable and endearing, so that probably will be somewhat of a constant. I guess our job is just to approach it in a way that seems grounded and not dumb, you know?
More +
Hey Price, thanks for answering my questions so thoroughly. I can see where you're coming from with the financial problems speaking to the audience, as it certainly does to me. I have no issue with Hezbah and Lucretia talking a lot about their money problems, since what that really does is demonstrate a sense of realism, in that it's what most people talk a lot about anyway. The thing that really gets to me, though, is when someone starts an episode with a promise of getting paid for something, and by the end of that episode that promise punches them squarely in the face. And while that didn't quite happen in the pilot of Supanatural, there was the bit about the Vatican's checks always bouncing, which basically implies that they won't be paid for any of that work after all. Which does beg the question: why did they do all of that in the first place, since they knew they probably wouldn't receive any money for the job, other than the fact that it's a job that they're really good at, and it very well could be their passion?

So it was really just the check bouncing comment which made it into the pet peeve zone. But again, I did enjoy the pilot a lot, and it was only that and a few other things which I didn't like, which is a lot better than most of the shows out there. Anyway, again, thank you for answering my question and I look forward to seeing any additional episodes of the show, as it will almost certainly be picked up.
More +
I really enjoyed the writing (it was funny!) and I liked the characters, but I just can't watch animation and I don't know why. So basically, I enjoyed it a lot, besides the fact that it's animated. I hope that comes across like a compliment rather than an insult, cause I definitely don't mean it as an insult.

Also, I miss Price's TVD recaps! :) I actually stopped watching the show shortly after he (you?) stopped recapping. Not having someone point out the ridiculous things in a hilarious way made it harder to tolerate the ridiculous things.
Staff
quick absolution: go rate it five stars on amazon anyway.
jk. not really jk but jk.
Will do! :D
I've yet to watch the pilot (*boooooo* *gets stoned to death*), but what I was wondering is if the name of the show isn't going to put people in awkward positions when coming over for a viewing party? I mean the guy obviously has his nipple clamps on for an animated show called Supanatural, but the girl shows up with her vibrator expecting the hunky beef of Supernatural.
Staff
There will be no shortage of hunky beef, albeit animated. This is our promise to you.
Staff
We're already outlining a "Magic Mike" episode.
I really loved it. ^_^ I think my biggest question is: Will there be an overarching plot to this story? Will it be serialized? Or will they mostly be stand-alone episodes.
Staff
Like most 1/2 hour animated comedies (like South Park or the Simpsons) we would want to be accessible so the audience can jump in any time, anywhere. That having been said, if we were lucky enough to get a season and have fans that watched every episode in sequence, we would definitely want to find ways to reward that.
Good luck. I'd definitely plan to keep up. ^_^
Just finished watching and loved it. MOAR BROOKE. Also pls make a Jump Dick ringtone. Like others sais the parodies are entertaining as I esp loved the Gremlins nod and of course the travesty that is Indianan Jones KotCS. How do you guys think you will handle the demon mayor story? Big Bad? Demin trying and failing at posing as a human yet no one picks up on it? Good job guys
ERMEHGERD PRICE not Pierce. Too much Community. Anyways Price *BROFIST*
Staff
"Tune in and see!" I also love Brooke and she will definitely be a Supanatural regular.
Staff
Ha, ha - happy to hear you enjoyed Brooke. She'll certainly be around if this show is lucky enough to see the light of day. To answer your question, The Mayor will basically be the best public servant this town has ever had, albeit for the fact he is a demon from an underworld. As far as how his story will play out, you'll just have to tune in and see!

ps you can also download the entire "Junk Dick" song on Amazon. Go cyber-hunting!
Also I kinda have a broner for Pierce. I've never seen an episode of Vampire Diaries or Secret Circle yet I read/watched your photo recaps religiously. They are sorely missed
THANKS I LOVE BRONERS
For the two main characters, are they based on real people, or are they more an amalgamation of different personalities, etc. you all have encountered?
Staff
This is an interesting piece of trivia: the character art for Lucretia was drawn from a smushed down picture of Price.
TRUE
Staff
They are definitely inspired by real people we've known, but mainly these characters are US. I know that can seem surprising considering what we look like, but we share the same interests, concerns, fears, annoyances, and joys as Hezbah and Lucretia. The difference is, they have the bravery to SAY what's on their mind, whereas most of us just think it.
Saw the pilot..... Ugh.... J/k!!!! Loved it!!!! Hilarious!!! Hmmmm.... Question..... So are the monsters or whatever they deal with each episode going to parody another movie/show? For instance the Indiana Jones/crystal skull thing.. I really enjoyed that whole aspect of poking fun at it because THAT MOVIE WAS HORRIBLE! Y'all's version was so much better :) I'd like to see how your characters would deal with other "movie" situations like The Exorcist or Nightmare on Elm Street! Can't wait to see more! Btw miss you Price!!!! Always thinking of you when watching TVD!
Staff
The idea of a talking crystal skull just always made us laugh, but it also worked out that when we placed it in a temple we could directly riff on Indiana Jones (who basically gets murdered in the opening scene). But yeah, we all love horror films so much that you'll be seeing tons of references to our favorite ones. That's what so exciting about this show's premise, take any horror movie or monster and just plug in these two lead characters and it's instantly funny to us. Remember in Freddy Vs. Jason when Kelly Rowland insulted Freddy's sweater? I've always loved that scene.

And thank you! I miss recapping, but doing this show has been so fun that I haven't minded the distraction.
Question, why is Lily one of the main voices? Why does Ryan get a voice-over bit but not Price? And who was on the grassy knoll?
Staff
I'm the best of the three at sounding like a woman, basically.
Staff
"Debateable." -spoken in IMPECCABLE Mae West voice.
I knew it!
Staff
Lily's voice is not only in the voice recording, but all over the writing. Her sensibility (and knack for improv) made it crucial that she be a lead character. Ryan's tiny bit (an unnamed stoner) is actually a character who will be a recurring character later hopefully. I'm just shy but if you listen carefully you can hear me clapping unenthusiastically after the skull is defeated.
1) Kissass. ;-) (that's "guy" for "awwww")

2) They don't give IMDB credits for "clap-over artist". Shyness doesn't pay billz!
QUESTION: How much influence did recent animated fare like Metalocalypse, Venture Bros., Stroker & Hoop, and other shows of that nature carry into your creation of this series? How closely or differently would Supanatural's arc be compared to FX's "Archer", which takes its setting a little more seriously but has the same sort of "real conversation during over-the-top adventure" idea behind it?
Staff
Well, probably the most direct influence is that some of our animators also worked on Metalocalypse. Plus we're Venture Bros. fans regardless. But yeah, we share the same affinity for talky, conversational humor in the face of heightened stakes. As far as an arc, episodes would probably be more standalone adventures than part of a seasonal narrative but there'd likely be room for long-term callbacks and what not.
Staff
Yeah, we want the episodes to feel standalone plot-wise, but with character growth in the long-term. Right now we are really excited to see what will happen to Lucretia's hair over the course of the season.
Question: What do you say to critics who claim this show comes off as a post-Maury world version of Aqua Teen Hunger Force? PS, I may or may not be those critics.
Staff
I think I soooorta see where people are going with that, but I would caution that the stereotypical Maury guests were loud and dumb and slightly immoral, whereas our characters are loud and intelligent and good heads on their shoulders.
Morality is an artificial construct, said some philosophical jerk right before his house was burned down and his dog was raped since there is no morality anymore.
Staff
"Thank you for the compliment" is what I'd say. I still regularly sing to myself "I want candy, bubblegum and taffy" Also, are we really POST Maury? I consider this as still being the Maury era.
No more fat babies means post-Maury in my book. Not everybody can be everybody else's baby daddy.
Especially if they only have one testicle.

(Inside joke to everyone who saw that Maury episode.)
Saw the pilot....so, SO good. So I have two questions (Is that allowed? Gah! Wait....no, that's not one of my questions....)

1) If....no, WHEN....when the series is picked up by Amazon, will it be available solely online, or will it make it to TV? (a thorough and in-depth [read: 5-minute cursory search] of the website didn't help).

2) Who would you pick to be the TV.com Supanatural reviewer, and why?
Staff
1) Hey thanks for the optimism! In the event that a series gets picked up then it'll be available through Amazon Instant Video and watchable ON TV, kind of like other online subscription services that you watch through PS3, Xbox, or Roku etc.
2) Tim Surette because he would give it to us straight and I hear he smells like dreams.
Staff
I watch Amazon Prime on my TV (7" black and white) via my video game console (SuperNintendo)!!
you are "jacked in"
Staff
Conflict of interest for reviewing, unfortunately! But here's my review: it's better than THE WIRE
Staff
Question #1: You guys are awesome.
Mod, please delete.
THAT IS NOT A QUESTION TIM
It's a compliment from Tim. Don't look gift whores in the mouth. Or something.