Primeval goes extinct

Primeval will not be returning for a fourth series because of budget cuts, it has been revealed.

"Basically ITV have changed their policy about drama before 9pm in that they've decided they really don't want any, at least not of the quality and cost of Primeval," a source close to the show told online publication Total Sci-Fi.

Despite earlier denials that the show would be axed an ITV spokesperson confirmed the cancellation today, telling the Press Association: "After three very successful series of Primeval there are no plans at the present time for it to return to ITV."

"High quality drama remains a key part of the ITV schedule although our current focus is on post-watershed productions," they continued.

Earlier this year, ITV announced 600 job cuts due to cost constraints and said it would be scaling back its drama production.

Remaining popular throughout its three-year run Primeval mustered an impressive international TV.com score of 8.6. The show's third series, which stars Hannah Spearritt and Ben Miller, concluded in Britain earlier this month with an average of 4.5 million viewers (25.1% of the total TV audience).

Speaking about this finale, the informant says: "At the point where we finished the third series, we had every reason to believe we would be doing a fourth. Had we known there was any likelihood of cancellation, clearly we wouldn't have left half the cast marooned up a tree in the distant past."

There is still some hope for Primeval fans, however; It's reported that the show’s creators are currently in talks about producing both a film and an American series. What are your hopes for the show?

no no no no no!

it,s the best tv show i had ever seen in my life.

for the sake of god give it back with season 4.

i just can,t wait for another season 4.

hurry up and make it !

as soon as possible ....
This can not be ! This was one of the best tv series I watched recently. Please give it back.
Regards,

Safak

broken!
I absolutely can't believe this. Primeval has been an excellent show from the beginning.
I cant believe this, the UK (where I live) finally makes one good show and they cancel it after a pityful 23 episodes! Disgusting!
Can't be! I watch this show on BBC America and I just can't believe that they would even think about cancelling it. If they make a new, american, series of it I probably won't watch because it wouldn't be even close to this one. However, I would watch the movie, as long as it has the original cast in it. I love everything about this show. I beg you, don't cancel it!! I'm getting sick of everything being cancelled! And i've put up with it, but if they cancel this show, I will be very mad. What is it with cutting the best shows on tv??
As I rarely watch ITV as the majority of what it broadcasts is a load of rubbish that insults any normal intellectual. Primeval was the one thing I watched avidly and now searching on the Web I find out you have cancelled the best programme on TV. Now its been axed with an incomplete ending. What kind of idiots, financial plods are in control of purse-strings and what greater idiots the control the programming choices. If you are hard-up now as a company, how do you ever think by cutting one of your best watched programmes will increase revenue? This will decrease the numbers watching, have an adverse effect on advertising, think how bad it will get if all of your excellent programmes are axed and you only broadcast rubbish............. What advertiser will want to be associated with that? To the powers that be, think again before axing really good programmes and if I were you? Bring back Primevil.
Well, crap, those of us who don't have high-end cable/satellite tiers are only just becoming familiar with Primeval through the Sci-Fi channel. I'd like to see them pick it up with new episodes (same cast), like they did with Sliders back when. But I imagine the same budgetary issues that killed it in the UK are pretty well universal right now.
*Bleeeeep* I just learned that the show got canceled. I didn't even realize the show was at risk!! I'm trying to find comfort in the knowledge that the British get screwed over by their networks too, but it's really not helping. RIP, Primeval.
I rarely watch ITV as the majority of what it broadcasts is cheaply produced rubbish that insults my intelligence. Primeval was one of only a handful of really excellent programmes that I eagerly looked forward to. Now it is going to be axed with an incomplete ending. What idiots the financial plods are that control the purse-strings and what greater idiots the high echelon are for letting them dictate programming choices. If you are hard-up now as a company, with reduced advertising, think how bad it will get if all of your excellent programmes are axed and you only broadcast purile rubbish............. What advertiser will want to be associated with that?
I'm annoyed at ITV for cancelling Primeval, for what more garbage like I'm A Celeb, Get Me Out Of Here USA and the UK version or the many of the boring Reality tv programs that are ruining TV for me. A series with high audience ratings should be sustained and should not be given to the US for a series that was born in the UK. If a movie is a given a green light, stick to the same cast as the series. NO to a US Series, The will probably replace the castmembers with american ones.
I am appalled at seeing that Primeval has been cancelled, are ITV stupid? This is one of their best shows, if not THE best show ITV put on, our Saturdays were pizza, You've Been Framed followed by the whole family sat around to watch what happened on Primeval... Why would they do this now, when it's got a good audience? Are they licking windows or something over there?!?! (No disprect to anyone who does lick windows) THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!! Take back the idea of even cancelling it... I hope we do get a film... Not sure about an American one though
I wasn't really into 'Primeval', but I'm getting sick and tired of ITV cutting everything back, yet still having time and money for multiple episodes of 'Coronation Street' and 'Emmerdale' - sometimes twice in one evening! I seldom watch anything on ITV now. They are very out of touch with their audience.
I loved Primeval. I am sad they cancelled it. They could at least make a special episode to give a decent ending and not a cliffhanger. I do not like the idea of a spin-off series with other characters, but I hope the film will conclude the story.
What do you expect when the show had a production cost, nearly all of the networks want shows that cost nothing like most of the reality shows.

I myself like Primeval it was better with Nick Cutter and I wish someone would have killed of his wife Helen Cutter.

Sorry to see it go but do not expect this to be the last just look at the cancellations in the US market
Noooo, please save Primeval!
Good, sorry but I hate this show.
please please do not get rid of primevil surly there are other shows you could axe such as x facter and boring shows like this. please keep primevil it is the best show you have had in years

• 8:30 pm