Psych's Season 7 Premiere Was Delicious, But Not Very Filling

Psych S07E01: "Santabarbaratown 2"

C'mon son, did you really believe Psych would kill off Henry?

We've waited nearly a year since the Season 6 cliffhanger to find out what happened to Shawn's dad. But while Papa Shawn survived his shooting by Barney Miller's Wojciehowicz, Shawn became unhinged by his desperate need for vengeance/justice/filial devotion.

Unfortunately, "Santabarbaratown 2" was not the strongest way to launch the new (and probably penultimate) season. I say this with regret, because after Twin Peaks, Psych is my favorite show. I realize it's not the best series on TV—even I must admit it's not masterpiece theater like Enlightened, Sherlock, or Homeland, for example—but Psych is my TV crack. Or fries quatro queso dos fritos. Delicious AND nutritious!

On the bright side, I've seen the next two episodes, and they deserve to become fan favorites. (Next week's "Juliet Takes a Luvvah" was written and directed by Andy Berman, the genius behind Season 6's instant classic "Last Night Gus.")

From the outset, "Santabarbaratown 2," co-written by creator Steve Franks and producer Bill Callahan, had trouble balancing heavy poignancy (Shawn's "You've got to save him, that's my dad!") with zany slapstick (Woody the coroner barging into Henry's hospital room with a premature body bag). The worst offender, however, was the groan-causing return of the rapey, baby-voiced, elder-lover Chelsea, who first stalked Henry in "Neil Simon's Lover's Retreat."

Meanwhile, the best moments of "SB2"—an homage to the Lethal Weapon buddy cop films—focused on Gus and Shawn's bromance... and the surprising but perfect partnership between Shawn and Lassie.

It turns out that when you do the math, (Gus + Shawn) + (Shawn + Lassie) > Mel Gibson and Danny Glover.

(Quick Lethal Weapon factoid: FBI agent Mack was played by Jake Busey, son of Gibson and Glover's costar Gary Busey.)

Anyway, while Henry recovered in the hospital, Shawn ignored his girlfriend's pleas and recklessly attempted to find the dirty cop who shot his father. With the chief's tacit approval and Detective Lassiter's fervent support (and munitions supply), Shawn discovered that Wojo (yes, I know Max Gail's character's name is Jerry Carp, but to me he'll always be Wojo) was involved in a much larger conspiracy—gunrunners using the charity organization Feed Everyone as a front to smuggle weapons into war-torn regions.

The hour's hijinks included Shawn and Gus sitting on a landmine just as they were about to enjoy a platter of jerk chicken apology nachos, Shawn's insistent misinterpretation of a Mexican standoff, the halving of the Blueberry's frame, and the obliteration of the adorable car's maroon successor, the Cranberry.

Eventually, Shawn managed to locate Wojo Jerry's hideout and take down his security team. In the end, Juliet shot Wojo, and his henchman, to save Shawn.

"I've got the greatest girlfriend ever," he gushed. (Juliet gave him a pass for fibbing about his investigation, but methinks she won't be so forgiving when she learns his "psychic" powers are a huge hoax.)

The gang rushed to the hospital just in time to see the removal of Henry's breathing tubes and his first-gasp breakup with his "fiancée," Chelsea.

Next week, Henry has a new caregiver (Shawn's mom, played by Cybill Shepherd), Juliet plays the field in an online dating investigation, and Gus gets a girlfriend!

DELICIOUS FLAVOR

The highlight of this episode was the veritable smorgasbord of tasty treats, most of them enjoyed by Gus:

– Taco Bell Doritos Locos tacos

– French toast (Shawn's declaration to his unconscious father: "I don't think now is a good time for you to go. I love you...r French toast.")

– Mole tacos

– Henry's hospital sandwich and cake (a.k.a. "a dying man's lunch")

– Jerk chicken apology nachos

– Rancid peaches ("Have some tuna." "That would be like taking food out of poor people's mouths." "How about some peaches?" "I'll eat me some peaches.")

– Pop-tarts

– Moons Over My Hammy

– Surprisingly crisp bacon

– Orange chicken (laced with Ipecac)

– Glazed buns (Gus's dream pastry from the nonexistent Jethro's Home of the Deep-Fried Donut)

QUOTES

– "You can't take the second out. It's a courtesy out, it's perfunctory. You have to turn it down first." —Shawn, when Gus took him up on his offer of an "out"

– "This is hands-down my favorite land mine. It detonates not only when you step on it, but when you step off. Sweet music and then? Red mist." —Lassie, enraptured by Wojo's munitions arsenal

– "My name is Shenayze, this is my partner Gurn Blansten." —Shawn, introducing a very Swedish-sounding Gus (Note: These monikers may not be spelled correctly)

– "I need something … I can shoot a caribou with, that's my dream. Not for sport but for their general superior attitude. I wouldn't kill one, no sir. Just teach those cocky bastards a little humility by grazing it in its horn." —Shawn requesting a semiautomatic on the Red Chief firing range

– "Are you sure about that? How about a raccoon with a discarded malaria sample?" —Shawn's response to the chief's assertion that there's nothing more dangerous than an investigator who's emotionally involved in a case.

– "This is my best disguise, second only to Jaundiced Jimmy, which I would've gone with if you hadn't eaten all the yellow mustard." —Shawn on his terrible fake beard

– "That's my delivery man. Satchel Gizmo. He's likable, so everyone lets him into places." ("He's indecipherable and constipated!") "That's part of his charm. He's been married nine times." —Gus to Shawn on his elaborate cover story

– "Over Our Heads: Great title for a movie about two short guys who pretend to be one tall guy to get a basketball scholarship." —Shawn, destined for Hollywood

– "Well so have you, man: Wearing loafers with white socks is a serious no-no." —Shawn when Mack said he'd "made a major mistake"

– "I'll be damned, this is the second Mexican standoff I've been a part of today." —Shawn, who has not been part of any Mexican standoff, ever

QUESTIONS!

1. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 = being a koala bear or owning a jetpack), how do you rate "Santabarbaratown 2"?

2. Did you spot the show's hidden pineapple? If so, where was it? (Seriously, please tell me. I totally missed it.)

3. What was your favorite quote of the night?

4. Which of the foodstuffs mentioned in the episode would you eat first?

5. How about that Lassie?

Loved it! The pat where Shawn tried to bring down the house with that little blue car was so damn funny!!! Then when the car was shown practically sawed in half, I laughed for nearly 30 seconds straight!!!
1. 10000000000!!! I had so much fun watching SB2 like I hadn't in ages!
2. Hell no. I never get them.
3. "The body is actually designed for this sort of thing."
4. Sweet french toast is a Christmas-time dish here in Brazil. I kind of miss it the rest of the year.
5. Lassie is a dangerous man. Seriously.
Well i can gladly correct you on one thing, psych has already been approved for an 8th season, well only 8 episodes atm but hopefully more will be as well.
"90% of all gunshot wounds are psychological."
"This isn't my book...this is Everyone Poops..." "Except my girlfriend."
"I ate that bacon a half hour ago, it was surprisingly crisp."

Everything to do with Woody. Though I hope it doesn't set up some bigger arc for the rest of the season...
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Love Psych, cute but not great episode, and while I'm glad they didn't go too serious, some parts (body bags!) were a bit too lighthearted.
Fist off, so glad psych is finally back,, never leave me for so long again!!

1. 8
2. No, completely forgot, never usually pick it up first time round
3. I'll be back soon - woody with the body bags was hilarious!
4. Apology nachos!! I just happened to be eating dinner (nachos) and when I saw those apology nachos, I couldn't help but look down and feel Immensely disappointed haha
5. Lassie has been getting better with each season, this season needs more lassie centric episodes!!
Raccoon with a discarded malaria sample, hands down funniest quote (love the short guys trying to get a basketball scholarship too though). Psych is so good with the one-liners that frequently catch me off guard. It's one of the reasons I love it so much--that unpredictable humor that few shows know how to do well.
Psych is my all time favourite show. I used to watch it with my mum but she now lives on a different continent, so we have to watch it separately and then discuss it over Skype. We both loved this episode, partly because of the awesomeness that is just Psych and partly because it just had the feeling that they were really enjoying themselves making it.
I also really love episodes where Shawn sort of loses it- because even when he is acting mental, he is still in control- he just sort of stops caring about the pre-tense and does what he feels like (more so than usual).

1. I give this episode a 7 on the Psych scale- I've been so excited for the return of Psych that they really could not have done any wrong- but overall I think it was still really good. I felt a little underwhelmed at the premiers of series 5 and 6 but I was actually really happy with this one.
2. Sadly didn't spot the Pineapple this time. |I am going to re-watch anyway so maybe I'll have more luck the second time round.
3. I love all the 1 liners in every episode, so it is really hard to pick any particular favourite but one of my favourite quotes was the 'I love you...r French Toast' and my favourite scenes were the speeches that Shawn gave at the Firing Range and when Shawn smashed up the crime scene/ perps house.
4. I'd definitely eat the Apology Nachos first.
5. I love Lassie's relationship with Shawn and Gus. I think that he did start off resenting them (even hating them) but has grown to respect Shawn's abilities (even if he doesn't believe that he is psychic) and actually thinks of them as friends. Its just a part of Lassie's charm that he wont admit it!
Oh, and all the glass breaking and Gus's reaction to it really cracked me up. I was smiling the whole way through this episode!
thought it was really funny. had me laughin throughout. Woody entering the room with the body bad the first time floored me; same w/ Soupcan Sam and Satchel Gismo LOL. i will say though Chelsea was overkill though, she got on my nerves after a while.
Yeah, but I love the way Shawn's dad sent him away. His first words were a paragraph of breakup cliches aimed at her. Hilarious. I also lol'ed when he wrote the note to Shawn saying "pull the plug" because she was there.
I mean, sent "her" away. We need an edit button here, guys.
yea i know edit button plz! i agree the pull the plug thing was jokes
The whole thing seemed very rushed to me. Something as big as gun running could have been it's own episode, but it felt tacked on to finding Henry's murderer. So trying to fit it all in and have the humor it normally has seemed rushed and overcrowded. It was enjoyable, but not one of my favorites=6

I can't believe I forgot to look for the pineapple!

I really enjoyed Shawn's rant at the FBI guy if only because Lassiter couldn't suppress his grin.

The Jerk Chicken Apology Nachos looked reaaaalllllly good.

I maintain he is my favorite character because there's a Little Shawn inside him waiting to bust out, and the fact that he won't let it makes real Shawn that much more irritating to him.
When they introduced the Cranberry I was seriously wondering how long that would last... and then Boom. Gus just has the worst luck with cars.
I couldn't believe it when it happened! I should have expected it, being Psych, but it really shocked me. Goodbye, Cranberry, we hardly know ye!
I wonder if those were the same peaches Miss Kathryn gave to Sam in exchange for fixing her school house. No wonder they went bad; that took place a long time ago.
I really hope that line was intentional. Sam the peaches man.
Side-note:

With this talk about hidden pineapple,it seems to me,people spend too much time on finding damn pineapples,instead of focusing on show/episode and maybe,that is PART of reason,why some didn't like episode so much.
I'm so unobservant I NEVER see the pineapple unless Shawn is holding it in his hands.
I just watched it again. I think when that annoying woman is visiting Henry one time she is wearing a pineapple necklace.
I didn't think they'd kill Henry, but I could have seen that working on this show.

HOLY CRAP! Thank you for pointing out who Jerry was played by, that was driving me nuts.

This review is money, as in "right on the...", I enjoyed the episode but it was highly uneven and lost its drive about halfway through slipping into silly antics, and Chelsea was a bad note. Juliet ignoring what went down was out of character as well. And the whole plot with the weapons trafficking was utterly needless and took away from the main plot rather than adding to it. Lassie's involvement at the end was a deus ex machina AND he didn't get to shoot anybody. But despite all of that, I still enjoyed the Psych gang back again doing their thing, and it was great to see Shawn out of control in a different way.

That bacon WAS surprisingly crisp!

Rating: 7 on the Psych scale, 6 on the normal people scale.

I never spot the pineapples, I'm the worst at that.
I didn't mind the weapons trafficking. Recall, even Henry mentioned that the bad-guy had a really nice house for retirement. In California, just like NJ/NY, an extra $50k on top of your retirement is not going to give you a nice house. At most, it will upgrade the house you were hoping to buy, to the near-identical model with a 2-car garage. $50k is really nothing in some states for a house.

So they needed SOMETHING to make the guy more menacing except for a retired cop on-the-run with hardly any resources. Which typically on TV means: drugs, guns, or counterfitting
I figured if he took $50k once from being a bad cop, he'd probably have taken more afterwards from remaining a bad cop. It was needlessly convoluted to add in the weapons trafficking.

On another note, anytime there's money mentioned in comments I think of those annoying spams we get here. :p
I loved this premire of an episode. It was funny and just enjoyable. I loved Henry's rant at the end about Chelsea. When I saw her I was totally reminded of when Shawn and Juliet were taking that vacation together. I absolutely love this show. I don't want it to be gone at all.

I didn't see any pineapple but i couldv'e missed it. I can't wait for the next episode. It looks really good.
Is Chief Vick (the actress Kristen Nelson) sick? She looked seriously underweight and was wearing a wig. I hope she's OK! Any info?

Having the show back was a delight!

1. 9.9 out of 10
2. I heard someone mention that the pineapple was on a poster on the end of a piece of furniture?
3. "Lassie planted some exlosives somewhere over there." (Cranberry explodes)
4. Donut!
5. I love Lassie! His character has broadened into someone I look forward to seeing. So funny and a little bit sad.
I agree. His grudging acceptance (and liking) of Shawn is really entertaining, as he tries to have it both ways. But then I'm easy; I just love this show. It can do no wrong.
I think the reason that the episode felt off was mostly because Shawn being serious and still trying to be funny. Is not the norm for him. He did it well with Yang, because it was all about him. This was with his father whom he loves, and it threw him and the episode. Which is fine, because it was still funny and is still better than 99% of the shows out there.

Lassiter playing with the landmine was unbelievably funny. He is really coming into his own as a character. I would love to see another Lassiter heavy episode.

The whole thing with the Nachos, was just classic.

Questions;
1.I would give it a solid 7

2. Maybe the earrings of the psycho girl

3. Second Mexican Standoff. too funny.

4. Jerk Chicken Nachos... What!

5. Lassie is increasingly getting more and more likable. Plus what is up with him and Marlowe?

No idea... I imagine the writers want him to keep her as girlfriend so A) he finally has some love and B) for all of the prison-lover jokes they can squeeze out. I mean, for such a law-abiding stuck-up guy to wait for her is funny as it is.

As for his comment to Shawn, I imagine it's because Shawn was mentioning they haven't consumated their relationship... which is probably the last thing in the world Lassie would want to talk to Shawn about. Ever.
Staff
Marlowe will be back y'all, for at least a couple episodes! I confirmed with the Psych gang.
i think the reason this episode seemed so unbalanced is the fact that shawn turned into some kind of action hero - its totally against his character throughout the entire series.

As for psych not being masterpiece theater - it doesnt have to be. its entertaining and knows what niche it is in.
USA does this type of program (buddy buddy in different scenarios) very well, white collar, suits etc, and i dont think any of the main networks would have given psych a chance. So if this is the penultimate series, then i think its been a good run and hopefully it will end in a satisfactory way
Thumbs up'd just for use of 'penultimate'
I actually just recently caught up on Psych and as a two parter SB 1 & 2 was delightful. It was interesting to see Shawn getting more and more unhinged while still keeping his Shawness. However, I can see how the year long wait might have taken some of the shine off.

Also, Im pretty sure everyone knows deep down Shawn isn't a psychic but they keep him around because he solves crimes. Lassie even says it in on episode when he gets drunk.
Oh and I love,how those clues Shawn sees,they stand out now more,not just highlighted like before.
My cheekbones hurt,because I was laughing all the time. Blueberry, Cranberry...oh my,just thought alone on those 2 scenes...I simply can not laugh more,than I already am atm. And you can see in the scenes,that even cast was having hard time not to laugh, I wonder how many takes it took to shoot one scene:D
WELCOME BACK PSYCH! I missed watching you.

10/10 any day of the week. Season 7 and they are still bringing it! One of better and stronger shows around.
I agree 10/10 or 11/10. My cheeks were hurting, too. Even when I'm not laughing out loud, I'm chuckling or smiling. This is just the best show. It's just funny all the time.
8/10 sounds about right for this episode. It wasn't amazing, but I had lots of fun watching it and I'm just glad the show is finally back. It's been way too long.
Why end Psych after 7 and a half seasons? Does the USA Network have a 8 season limit for all shows? I can't see why it can't have 10 seasons.
Because USA is evil and it hates me.
I couldn't see a clear pineapple. The only thing I think MIGHT be the hidden pineapple are Chelsea's earrings when she and Shawn meet outside the hospital near the beginning of the episode. I can't make it out clearly, but it's kind of in the shape of a pineapple.

But there have been a couple episodes without a pineapple, so maybe this was another one of those.
I don't know how complete this list is, but Zap2It has most of them. Sadly, they do not have SB2 listed.

"Ninety percent of all gun shot wounds are psychological." Shawn to the doctors as they were wheeling his dad into surgery. I also loved Woody's hanging around the hospital with a body bag just in case. I'm SO GLAD it's back.
BTW, he'll always be Wojo to me, too.
Staff
I can't believe I forgot to include that quote! Thank you for mentioning it. It made me laugh out loud again.
No psych out at the end? Boo! The best part of the show!
I don't think it was supposed to be anything special.It was a solid episode but did in fact feel like a second part to the first part.I give it a 10 just cause finally it's friggin back! the rest of the season looks to be very promising,especially the musical episode.I think that one and the Clue episode i'm looking forward to the most.

I did not find the pineapple.To be honest i totally forgot to look.

My fav. quote is pretty much all you wrote down.The over you head,Second out and the caribou quotes were prob the best.

Deff. those Nachos

What is there to say bout Lassie other than the fact that he's awsome and can not wait till he and shawn are making fun of each other again.

Also, props for the "How can I ever repay you.... Get on your knees... I wasn't being literal" dialog.

I laughed at that.

I have to admit though, Juliet did not get a lot of screen time. A couple of "don't do it" scenes followed by her saving the day. I realize this was a "Shawn vs The World" episode but it seemed Lassiter got more screen time.
Staff
Don't worry: Juliet is the shining star of the next episode!
I didn't think they'd kill Henry... but it was a possibility.

If 2 characters have a long standing grudge that finally gets resolved, and there's a question of someone dying, then there IS a solid chance that character will bit it. Just prior to his gun shot scene, Henry kind of made amends with Shawn.

For example: in Eureka a couple of seasons back they were saying that someone... will... die. But they were keeping a lid on who (though I'm sure the forums already did).

The episode prior to the death, Sheriff Carter and Nathan Stark kind of finally resolved their issues. The episode ended with Nathan saying that Carter wasn't so bad after all and prior to that they had a solid adventure together.

The instant I saw that, I knew Nathan was going to die. They wanted to have him leave on a high note.

I didn't think they'd kill Henry... because he's too big of a part of the show and his death would make Shawn go too "dark" But it was a possibility, if Corin wanted to retire or something.
Questions:
1. A solid 8, not the best but I'm really looking forward to next week
2. I did not. I guess i'll just have to watch it again to find it.
3. The part about the caribou, loved it.
4. Maybe the chinese that the guards were eating but not with ipecac.
5. He is pretty awesome, he set up a lot of stuff for Shawn

Cant wait til next week!!!!!!!
How can you possibly say they episode wasn't great? I loved it. Its been too long. I enjoyed everyone's screen time and the poor blueberry and cranberry, (one of my favorite bits of the episode) was really funny and then Gus's throwing up. I give it a 9 and next week's ep. looks really funny. Oh, and I like the new slow-mo they added throughout.
Is this the first episode where Shawn didn't pretend to have a single "psychic" vision? (He noticed lots of stuff, but no dramatic performances for sharing the info).
They haven't had much of the theatrics in recent seasons, and I really miss them.
I think he put his finger to his head once, perhaps when he revealed the secret door. But yeh, he was not messing around in this episode. No possession / yelling bits, just a sense of "let's DO this"
Now that the drama's out of the way, we can get back to funny Psych.
Woody showing up everywhere with the body bags had me cracking up.. the scene on the pier when Juliette asks why he has 2 body bags under his arm and he just drops them... priceless. sticking his finger under Henry's nose gauging his breath.. saying "I'll come back a little later..."
No "only" in the quote "It detonates not when you stop on it, but..."

They'd be dead many times over if it detonated when you pressed it in.
C'mon son, did you really believe Psych would kill off Henry?

No, I knew Psych wouldn't kill off Henry or the show would have taken a whole different outlook. Look sort of like the way Shawn was acting in this episode.
Favorite quote: "This isn't my book - this is everyone poops" "Except my girlfriend". I'd give it an 8, definitely enjoyed it. It's been too long.
10,peaches, and lassie likes Juliet lol
Does he?

He won't admit it, but between Juliette being his partner and Shawn being one of the closest things he has to a friend... he probably wanted to help them out. Hence the look on his face when he saw the two of them and the inevitable situation of Shawn going after the baddies on his own. He didn't want Shawn to die by being stupid.

Plus, Lassie is very big on the whole cop-brotherhood thing. Someone took down Henry, and as much as Henry might bug him time to time, he was still a cop that Lassie respected. If he could help get some payback, so be it.
Favorite Quote Tie: "Carlton! Stop playing with the evidence!" and "I've got the greatest girlfriend ever."
Favorite quote, right near the beginning. "90% of all gunshot wounds are psychological!"