Q&A with Adventure Time's Pendleton Ward

Cartoon Network is releasing its first algebraic Adventure Time DVD today, a collection of 12 episodes from the first two seasons of the cult hit. To help spread the word, I got on the phone with series creator Pendleton Ward, the genius behind the adventures of Finn the boy and his polymorphic dog Jake.

The first Adventure Time DVD contains a collection of episodes from the show's two seasons rather than all of Season 1. How come?

Pendleton Ward: I didn't really make that decision, but I did help in selecting some of the episodes, some of my favorites from Season 1 and Season 2. I really like "My Two Favorite People," that's one of the ones I worked on. I really like the ones I storyboarded. I really like "The Pods," it's really cute, I like cute things. And "Dungeon" is on there, which I think is one of the best, more adventure-y episodes. It's the most Dungeons & Dragons-y episode.

Do you have plans to put out a Season 1 or Season 2 DVD?

I'm not really involved in making those decisions—I just concentrate on making the show, y'know?

A recent episode featured an alternative universe where instead of Finn and Jake, we saw Fionna and Cake, a girl and her feline friend. Down the line, do you ever think Finn and Jake will ever meet Fionna and Cake? And how do you think they would get along?

That's a fan-fiction world. I'm not sure if we'll do that or not. We're considering it for sure. I get this email like twenty times a day, where people want them to meet up. "Please let them meet, Marshall Lee needs a line of dialogue!" Everyone's crazy about it. How would they hang out? I think they'd get along swell. I think it'd be a little awkward actually, because they're all wearing the same clothes, you know?

Adventure Time is on a hectic schedule. As soon as you finish one season, you start the next. How's the workload treating you?

It's a long haul. It's intense, but it's fun and you can't complain. It's super rewarding and it's a dream job. It's easier for me, recently two guys got promoted on my team—Adam Muto and Nick Hash—and they've taken on a lot of work I used to do. So my job now is I put notes on things, for the most part, and I chop down episodes. So my workload is a little bit less because these two dudes have taken on these things I used to do. But we're all one tightly oiled machine. [Laughs] Is that the phrase?

Is there any chance you'll do some longform Adventure Time projects?

Yeah, the network is interested in longform stories now, because they can call them "specials," so they can feel more special than a regular episode and can be advertised easier. So they're interested in us doing longer stories, half-hours or maybe a 45-minute episode or something. It's tricky, though, because so many of our episodes have epic storylines, where it's life and death situations or Finn is saving someone. To find something more epic for a feature would be kind of difficult.

Do you have any new guest voices coming up?

Bobcat Goldwaith did a voice recently. He did the voice of this big monster spider which catches Finn in his web. The spider has these gross webbing sputtering sounds that come out of his web hole. His wife thinks it's embarrassing, so she doesn't shoot the webs. He has to shoot the webs.

What can we look forward to in Season 3?

There's a Christmas special coming up that has a lot of characters from older episodes, everyone might end up seeing their favorite characters. It's a 22-minute long episode, and there's a really cool Ice King backstory.

Do you like messing with the Ice King? It seems like he never reaches his goal.

Sometimes he reaches his goal, but then he doesn't even want it anymore. He creates problems for himself. It's not like his problems never let him reach his goal, he just makes up new goals all the time. He's chaotic. I like letting him reach his goal and then having him switch gears and want something different.

Adventure Time: My Two Favorite People will be available on Tuesday, September 27.

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Why is

Pendleton Ward so hairy?

Pendleton ward you decide the rest of my AWSOME idea for that episode i made up, if it's hard to make more Adventure's for "Adventure Time" just read your fan's comments!, AND STAY CREATIVE! :D And alot of people watch your show and im in high school, and my high school friends watch it!
Pendleton Ward, I have a idea, for a new episode where Finn and Jake, meet Fionna and cake! ok so Finn is depressed b/c everyone in candy kingdom is celebrating " Family day", and Princess bubble gum says to Jake, "what's wrong with Finn?" and Jake says, " He's depressed because he can't celebrate "Family day" with his human family". So pb builds a time machine, so that Finn can bring his parents to the present, or at least his mom ( and try to win Finn back from Flame Princess, because she's jealouse), And pb takes a break from building the time machine and tells Jake not to tell Finn. Then when Jake goes home to find Finn crying, he trys to cheer him up, but he accidently says, "Pb is building you a time machine soo you can get your human family!" Then Finn runs out the door, and Jake yells, "it's not finished!" But Finn ingnores him and finds a note on the t. machine tht says, " dear Finn please do not turn on the time machine it is not finished." Instead of walking away, Finn is soo desperate to see his human family that he turns on the machine, and he and Jake are sucked in, Then they arrive in the land of WOoO, which is located 100 miles from the land of OoO, ( And in a house that looks alot like their's)

Finn say's this is our house! We just got sent to our house! And with frustration finn kicks over the table, and it makes a loud noise, then Fionna and Cake come down from their room and yell, "What's that noise, who are you!?" And Finn says, "Im Finn the human" And Jake says," Im Jake the dog!" And Fionna says, "Human?, Finn your a human?" And Finn replies, "Yea." And so Fionna takes off her hat and says, " I am too." And Finn takes off his hat and says " Oh my Glob!, Your a girl human, and what is this place?" Fionna replies, " This is the land of WOoO, I thought I was the only human." Finn says: "me too", Finn says, "Is this the only land out here?" And Fionna says, "There's another Land some where I heard was call the land of OoO, but I never went there i hear it's 100 miles from here!" then Finn says, " That's where I live!" An d Fionna says, " Can we come?, we can ride on Cake's back." And Finn says, " Well i'll ride on Jake, and you can ride on Cake." Then Cake says, "Jake your magic too?" And he says, "Yea, I never met a magic cat before." Then Cakes tail frizzes up because she likes Jake, and out of embarresmen say, "Ok lets go!" And so they arrive in The land of OoO and Pb says, "Who's that." And Finn says, " That's Fionna the human!" And pb says, "HUMAN!" " YOU USED THE TIME MACHINE!?" And Finn says, "yes." And pb says, I wasn't done with it! Now I can't get your parents!" Finn says, " Why?" in a crying voice. Pb says, " Because I used your dna combined with zanoits to make this crystal, that powers the time machine, and now it has ran out of energy, and to get more energy I have to get more zanoits and your dna!" And he gives her a piece of his hair. And she says I need more because there's not many zanoits, So he groans and says, " You need ALL my hair?, it took me forever to grow it back!" And Fionn says you can use some of mine!, And so Finn and Fionna both cut most of their hair, (Not all of it) And pb puts it in the crystal, and says now we need some zanoits, Finn, say's where can we find those" And PB says in the Fire kingdom, located in a big jar." And so Finn goes to Flame Princess (fp), which is at her new home, And says, " Flame princess we need zanoits, b/c i want to see my human family!, will you help us get some!" And she says, " My father guards the zanoits, b/c they tried to kill every one in the fire kingdom so my father captured them in a big jar, that is in the fire proof room." and Jake says,: "why is it fire proof?" And fp says, :"soo the zanoits's jar don't melt and release them." And with jealousy pb says, " Just give them to us!" And fp says, "Im helping Finn im gonna help him get them what's your pronblem Princess bonnibel?! Marceline told me your real name!" And pb yells, '" YOU KNOW YOU HAD TO BE LOCKED UP SO YOU DON'T MELT INTO THE EARTH'S CORE, SO DON'T GET MAD AT ME! Fp says, " IV'E BEEN LOCKED UP FOR YEARS, IF IT WASN'T FOR FINN'S LOVE FOR ME I WOULD HAVE NEVER GOT OUT!" And fp, Says lets Go!,and finn and Jake, and Fionna and Cake, you guys need, flame shield." So fp does the spell thing and they turn blue. And pb says, "what about me!?" And fp, says "FINE!" and now pb has flame shield and they all go to the fire kingdom.

Dudes, if there was a second Fionna and Cake episode (WITH MARSHALL LEE) I would totally freak. I mean, I know it would be a little odd because it WAS Ice kings FANFICTION, and it was a pretty closed conclusion (if you know what I mean?). But honestly. I don't think any of us fangirls would care as long as there was another episode (THAT HAD MARSHALL LEE IN IT WITH LINES AND ALL THAT JUNK). I think one more episode would satisfy me, because if there was a whole bunch it would loose it's specialness! It was their MOST VIEWED episode with a little over 3 MILLION views!!! And, the fan base has grown even larger since that episode. I mean, dude. Please consider it?
Good, I'm glad to hear about the specials. I get tired of 10 minute episodes. It's over before you even sit down.
Can't wait for the Christmas one!
I would like to see another Fiona and Cake episode