Quick Question: What TV Shows Are You Guilty of Hate-watching?

Have you ever followed someone on Twitter or befriended them on Facebook just for the horribly guilty glee of HATING THEM WITH 100 PERCENT OF YOUR SOUL?! Maybe their politics don't agree with yours, maybe they are just stupid and attention-seeking, maybe it's an ex—yet regardless of the reason, their internet presence is like a car crash you can't look away from.

What? No? Oh, well, I haven't either.

Now, I love and respect TV, and I worship at the altar of the small screen on a nightly basis. But I've recently come to realize that some of the shows I watch, I watch because they make me cringe and shout and roll my eyes. Sometimes, I hate-watch television.

It's a terrible thing to do, because when people complain about a particular television show, the inevitable response is (and often should be), "Why don't you just stop watching it?" But just like people sometimes keep dating jerks when they know they shouldn't, we sometimes can't stop ourselves from hate-watching.

Are you guilty of such a practice? The following seven shows are the ones I'm currently hate-watching. List your own, if you have any, in the comments!

Note: Hate-watching a show does not automatically mean the show is low in quality, it merely implies that it makes you crazy and yet, here you are watching it.

Entourage

Entourage was the ultimate in hate-watching for me. The show was always proud of being patently opulent and ridiculous, from its (lack of) plotlines to its sex to its bro-ing out, and I was never able to tune in with any sense of taking it seriously. But with that said, it was still incredibly watchable, the grown-up equivalent to The Muppet Babies in that I'd watch it to see where your filthy, money-obsessed imagination can take you. I hung on to every word while wanting to punch every single person on the screen. Well done, sirs. R.I.P.

The Tonight Show with Jay Leno

This guy. Listen, I've had a grudge for a while—I wanted Letterman to get The Tonight Show way back in the day, and I certainly didn't want Conan to get The Tonight Show, only to have to abdicate the throne a few months later. But let's forget about all that: I simply don't love the way the guy hosts the show. He strikes me as smug and dismissive and bored by himself, which is not what I want in a TV host. However, whenever I happen across his big chin on my TV screen, I can't stop myself from watching. He makes a weak joke and cackles, and I reflexively shout, "You don't even know who the Avengers are!" The show is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and the fun is getting confirmation of why I don't like him.

True Blood

I know, I know, it's an amazing show. I know. But I'd never checked it before Season 3 or so, and any crazily serialized show that you sample several seasons in is going to look completely ridiculous to the uninitiated. So when I tune in to True Blood, I see a cheesy, overly Southern-accented (I'm Southern, I can say that) soap opera with magic and blood spatters. I watch it and go "What? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" and I admire how hot everyone looks. Then I usually call my Dad and ask him what's happening, since he's a big fan.

Toddlers and Tiaras

I thought for sure this show wouldn't get me. So sure was I that, Icarus-like, I decided to watch it just to see what all the fuss was about. Four episodes later and I was shouting, "THEY SHOULD CALL COPS ON YOU, YOU MONSTER!" to a pageant mom. The show angers and saddens me, but it's also very, very entertaining, and I look for the moments when the editors make fun of their subjects ever so subtly with cutaways. But at a party, when asked to defend why I watch it, I can't. I just shrug and slink away. (And don't even get me started on Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.)

Everybody Loves Raymond

I have an incredibly visceral reaction to this show. It's not Ray Romano, who is a funny dude, and it's not the broad, everyman humor that Everybody Loves Raymond employs. I was a family therapist for seven years, and I absolutely cannot stand how this family interacts with each other. It's so dysfunctional it makes me scream, and I treated so many families with similar dynamics that watching this show puts me right back in my office, facing an overbearing mom, a son who can't cut the apron strings, and a wife who martyrs herself constantly. When I miss being a therapist, I watch an episode of Raymond and remember why I stopped practicing.

America's Next Top Model

I have a complicated relationship with America's Next Top Model. I've been watching it since the beginning, when Tyra and the gang filmed their judgings in the corner of a Holiday Inn conference room. I've watched it change, tonally, from season to season, and I've watched contestants come and go. One thing hasn't changed: Tyra Banks. I try to defend Tyra to other people sometimes, explaining that she's just a modern business woman, and that we're uncomfortable with women being as egotistic and successful as she is (because no one talks about how much they hate Sean Combs, but he's basically male Tyra). But often, she's undefendable: She's simply self-obsessed as all get out. I know this. And yet, I love watching the modeling challenges, I love how the panel critiques the final photos, and I love love love how unabashedly into herself Tyra is. I'm on board for life... and I'll definitely be watching when Cycle 19 (ANTM: College Edition) starts up on August 24.

The Newsroom

I've been known to call The Newsroom the new Entourage, but that's not exactly true, other than the fact that I sometimes roll my eyes while watching it, even as I'm crying at the episode about Gabrielle Giffords' shooting. To me, The Newsroom is a classic Aaron Sorkin show, full of ideals and rousing speeches and snappy dialogue. It's also incredibly smug, and sometimes chooses those ideals over character consistency. It's corny, but it's also incredibly compelling to watch, which is why I will stick with it, eye rolls and all.

Alright, those are my confessions, now I wanna hear yours! What shows do you watch despite the fact that they raise your blood pressure and/or make you doubt humanity?

I hate Jay Leno for all the reasons that you listed as well, which is why I can't watch him. However, it took me a while to get there.

I think the majority of the shows I hate watch are shows that once started off so great and have just become sad representations of themselves. That being said, Dexter is a huge one. I'm usually annoyed from the first moment, and it makes me sad, because I used to be so excited for it, now I am just excited for it to be over.

I used to be guilty of hate watching far more shows, now, it just comes and goes. I probably do it with movies far more often, as then it is no more than 2 hours wasted...
Not that I hate it but I think it's dragging beyond salvation and I wish the network will announce that it's the last season before we all give up. Yes, Grey's Anatomy and Supernatural I've been loyal watching since season 1 episode 1 please make it stop. Don't abuse our emotional investment and give us an ending in high note.
Why in Philo Farnsworth's name would I waste time watching something I didn't like, much less something I hated? If I were paid to do it, or it was part of my job, that might be another matter, but out of choice, I've better things to watch and do.
I've actually found the strength, which is NOT my forte in the morning, to quit watching The Today Show. The straw the broke the camel's back was getting rid of Ann Curry and the back-up for the last straw was their advertisements began to overrun their programming; 30 seconds of "coming up next...." and 4 minutes of ads. Then another "promo" of what's to come, then more ads. Very frustrating. I have rediscovered how wonderful it is to simply have my coffee and read the newspaper without the noise of morning talk shows. If the producers really think Ann was the reason their ratings took a dive, they are sadly mistaken. I was always anxious for the so-called experts to give their opinions on the hottest topic of the day but I would be screaming at the TV by mid-"conversation" because they all talked over each other and NEVER seemed to finish their statements without being interrupted by the other or the commentator, who, by the way, was also NEVER in control of any of them. I miss the days of Katy Curic and Ann as the strong women while Matt Lauer thinking he was IT. They should've let him go instead. I MAY just return to it if that were to happen.
TMZ reported a couple of months before Curry left that Lauer demanded as part of his new contract that Curry not be on the show anymore. He just didn't like her.
Big Brother USA. I gave up on the UK version years ago but the US version always kept my interest as I like how it's really a competition and people want to win. However, this season I find myself shouting at the screen more and more due to the blatant manipulation by the producers to save certain HGs and create more drama (something I understand but really don't like.)

Will still watch it until it's cancelled though.
Real Housewives of NY & NJ. Disgusting people, like watching a car wreck. I cannot make it through RHONY however, so there is hope for me. Also, Hoarders. I know that they have an illness, but I just want to scream at them. Then I clean out a closet.
I COULD NOT DISAGREE WITH MORE RE NEWSROOM...I THINK IT IS ONE OF THE SMARTEST,BRAVEST SERIES IN A LONG TIME...MAYBE SINCE ALL IN THE FAMILY. ALTHOUGH THA SERIES STRUCK A CORD WITH EVERYONE WATCHING IT AS WELL,THIS ONE,, I THINK IS EVEN A MORE IMPORTANT SIGN OF THE TIMES AND EVEN A WARNING TO THE AUDIENCE ABOUT HOW CORP AMERICA IS SHAPING IDEALS,THE TRUTH AND OUR VERY LIVES...VERY POWERFUL AND FRIGHTENING STUFF...AND IT DOES IT WITH WATCHABILITY BECAUSE IT IS SOMETIMES CAMPY SHALL WE SAY... I WON'T WATCH REALITY TV...IT MOCKS EVERYTHING ESP THE PROGRESS WE HAVE TRIED TO MAKE AS A SOCIETY AND SLAPS US IN THE FACE WITH IT...REMINDS ME OF HOW PETTY AND SMALL WE CAN ALL BE FOR VERY LITTLE PAYOFF...AND HOW PEOPLE WILL SACRIFICE THEMSELVES AND THOSE THEY LOVE? FOR A BIT OF FAME AND $$$!!! IT IS PURE $$$ MAKING FOR A FEW AT ALL OUR EXPENCE AND LIKE SHEEPABLE WE ALL TUNE IN FOR 40 MIN OF???
Whoa, dude, no need to yell. Typing in all caps is generally read as shouting.
Life's too short to be watching TV shows you hate. I was guilty of it. I would watch stuff like True Blood and the later seasons of Lost and Prison Break and I would grind and gripe and eye roll. Now if a show starts working on my last nerves and I have to force myself to watch it, it's gone off my list.
Dance Moms. I hate, hate, HATE this show. Abby Lee Miller is the vilest person on earth, and the moms are all crazy nut jobs. But I can't stop watching it. I think part of me realizes it's SO fake and manufactured to make drama, but I can't help falling into the trap and making snarky, snide comments at the adults on that show. Thank goodness that the kids are at least watchable and not so bratty (like Toddlers and Tiaras). I root FOR the kids, but wish the adults would just take a flying leap off a short pier.
Most shows I hate, I just plain hate. I don't watch them. In a milder 'hate', I suppose is PSYCH.

I'm so totally OVER that show, every run of episodes I keep hoping it won't come back. But,. I have to watch it. Mostly for Dule Hill. I've loved him since WEST WING and I can't give him up.

As long as they keep running that idiotic show I'll watch it.
Oh I am 100% with you on True Blood. I cant stand that show anymore but yet I cant stop watching it. Whats wrong with us LoL
Same here
Most of the shows that I do not like, I do not turn on like most of the reality shows unless they have real talent.
I hate Toddlers and Tieras and Hoarding: Buried Alive. I so want to slap the people involved even though I know that Hoarding is a mental disorder. Those mothers are insane too as they don't seem to understand what they are doing to those children. Yuk! I did watch True Blood since the beginning but this year I couldn't drag myself into it. Can't decide if I like it or just watched it because I watched it from day one.
hahahaha i knew it, true blood. i'm not the only one who watches even though i know it sucks really bad. another one would be Supernatural. that show should have ended after the apocalypse arc...but i still watch it. same goes for smallville when it was still running. thank god i managed to let go of CSI after 6 seasons.
Why would I waste my time watching a show I hated? There are much better things to do than bother with something I hate. I save my tv watching for shows I love.
Life is too short to go on watching something I hate. I lasted one and one half shows of Newsroom. The only exception to my not watching characters I "hate"is Survivor. But I do not "love to hate;" I am delighted when the one I despise is voted off. Then darned if they don't bring him/her back for another show!
You need to get a life, if I am growling at something in a show at least 2 weeks, then I stop watching, Bones, Rizzoli & Isles, Memphis Blues(I think that was what it was called) are just a few that are off my DVR.
The only shows I hate are these about hunting ghosts, its more unbelievable than syfy story's like Star Gate or Fringe, But this Gould be me because I only believe in reality thing I can touch and see, for instance when I was 7 I understood that I am dying at one moment because that where we are born to.
I wouldn't watch a show that raises my blood pressure. The 4-best are Suits, The Good Wife, Justified and Person of Interest.
I have never watched a show repeatedly that I hated. Hate-watching is an entirely alien concept to me. Why would you waste all that time and energy on something you don't even like? Newsroom, by the way, is the best show on television.
"Bridezillas" OMG, how can anyone marry one of these selfish, entitled, controlling harpies?? I do not and would not ever condone domestic violence, I'd have to confess to a little sympathy if one of the grooms-to-be hauled off and clopped one of those abusive 'zillas upside the head. I think that's what keeps me watching - the hope that someday one will and I don't want to miss it.
2 Broke Girls is pathetically offensive humor. It is the trainwreck which my eyes refuse to avert.
Not a 100 per cent hatred but well into the high 80s is The Mentalist. Also a reality show situated in a bridal shop in New York gets a high mark. How much drama that can play out over a dress is confounding to say the least.
There tends to be about one show a year I do this with. It was FlashForward a couple of years ago; at the minute it's Once Upon a Time. So cheap, tacky, awful dialogue, variable acting, and yet somehow not bad enough to stop. It's probably Robert Carlyle.
I find The Five on Fox News to be so cringingly Republican that I can't stop watching it. Since I am in the UK, American politics is not as critical in my life as it is in so many others, here. And to be honest I watch as much as anything because the female presenters are pretty. But if I were allowed to vote in America, I would want to kill!
Agreed! I watch FOX News to keep up with Right Wing propaganda, but I hate it every second that I'm watching it. Therefore, small doses at a time!
a lot: mentalist, heroes, x-files, smallville, the event, V, rome, flashforward, awake, alphas, the4400, prison break (last seasons), new girl, spellbinder to name a few....
Ok, maybe you should just stop watching anything with a sci-fi bent? Are you so out of touch with your brain that you do not realize that you don't like that genre? What is wrong with you?
i coudn't agree more.
Lost. Sometimes you had to love it, but overall it was just a mess plot-wise. A mess I tells ya!
wow, where do you people find the time to watch shows you hate? I can barely keep up with the shows I like and I have dozens queued up to be watched when I have more time. What a sad waste to lose time on shows you hate.
silly me...I forgot Game of Thrones.....awesomely awful
On what planet is Game of Thrones awful? How? Why? In what way?? *head explodes*
It's simply a matter of personal choice. First season I loved, since then, not so much. I'm quite certain I love shows you hate and I would have the same reaction to that as you do to my preference.
Are you kidding? People who don't like the show will always cite the same things. These things are very well known, wether or not you agree with them: the characters are unlikable, there are too many characters/storylines, it is slow/boring, it depicts gratuitous sex/nudity/immorality.
Definately True Blood. I watched and hated that show for 3 seasons before I finally dragged myself away from recording it. To a lesser extent, Dexter. I loved the first 5 seasons of that show, but the first couple of episodes of season 6 cured me - I recorded all of season 6, but have still only watched the first 2 eps. I'm hoping I'll feel in the mood to watch the rest before season 7 starts and maybe I'll want to watch it again.
gotta go with Gossip Girl, can't believe I watch that show.
How about shows like Bold and Beautiful that will never end and always come up with the same plot devices year after year after year.At one point many years ago.I was bedridden and watched some episodes, then a few years later I was staying home for some reason and watched a couple of more and nothing has changed, except that this was happening to the children instead of their parents way back when.It is a complete mystery to me that they still air.
More recently, I would have to NCIS, when it first was on the air, was my hate-it-but-still-watch-it. That was until my 12 year old (at the time), asked me why I watch the show I hate so much. Kid had a good point. Haven't watched it since. Don't miss it.'

Back in the 70s there was this show, Buck Rogers in the 25 Century. Only redeeming aspect of that show was the female lead. Otherwise, a HUGE waste of time for everyone involved.
Fringe (4th season) - because of the so many filler episodes (and even the other seasons). I mean, we're on the 4th season and come on?!? Where's the story?! Where's the character development? And what kind of telekenetic power is that?! It's one of the shows that i watch and i'm happy that fox still renewed it to give it a finale, but it's one of the least that i'll recommend to a friend. Don't get me wrong, i love Fringe but i hate it at the same time.

Homeland - Because everything seemed hopeless. Carrie was such a loser in so many aspect and she even fell in love with that terrorist like love at first sight, seriously... And it was only on the last episode that something happened really big.... but actually no, nothing happened stll.. and i was so disappointed about it. I'm referring to the Kamikaze, i wanted that building to explode because it could have given me the feeling of satisfaction that finally, Carrie will have something to brag about. Story seemed very realistic like there's no super protagonist and no super villain, they all have their good and bad side and i think it made it so hopeless for the main character.. Is it just me?! I'm looking forward for season 2 by the way ;)

The Secret Circle - I wanted the story to continue but I hate teen 6.. So much 6. :D
Fringe wasn't so much a character based show as an event based show - as such, it was the events that developed over the years, to come to a head in the final season. All in all, it's my opinion that the show was brilliant and the events developed well and came to a satisfying conclusion.
As for characters, about the only one I thought from time to time seemed to be a 'spare' was Peter Bishop (Joshua Jackson), but then, while he seemed (imo) a bit bland on an episode to episode basis, he was the catalyst for the whole story.
The cast were fantastic and they'll probably find it hard to get such complex roles again in their careers.
I had to look the series 6 times because you mis a lot the first, second and even the fifth time, I find it a very daring show of great quality and even so great player.

I think its incredibly difficult to play at least 4 X the same character in a different way and setting.

Its a shame that the show ends at the 13 part of series 5.

If you don't understand the story than you'll have to see it a couple of more times.
My guilty tv show is Toddlers and Tiaras! I hate what they are doing to their children, just terrible and some of the mothers are nuts and evil. But I still like watching it and I root for the girls with the nicest mom.

But the "nice me" thinks the show should be cancelled and this should be banned. But "evil me" loves it

Another show is Keeping up withe Kardashians.. sigh..... enough said
True Blood, exactly in the same way you do (although I call my brother). I also had it with V, but then the last few minutes were usually great and I watched the episode after that too. I have this hate watching with shows that I think could be great but are really frustratingly falling short on writing, such as Terra Nova. And GossipGirl turned into hatewatch after a few seasons, o badly that I started skipping through it to see if there was anything interesting left.
I would have to say that I hate watch all those syfy movies.

Crocasaurus vs sharkapotomus or what ever the hell they are.

They are so terrible but I still watch.
FringeFanatic and I are going to write our own about a deadly, evil, ninja Hippo. "Hippopacalypse" I hope you tune in for that one, too.
If there's a scene involving them having sex,I'll watch.I'll hate it,but I'll watch.
Perception is s show I cringe when I watch and come away with a bad taste and question why I bother watching.
LOL I was thinking of giving it a try.
all the shows I watch I loved, Hate watching makes no sense to me !!!!
Hate watching helps relieve stress.Try it. If you have had a really crappy day and scream at something really really moronic and feel like entering the screen and committing the most horrific murder of some stupid character; you will feel so good after it ends.
The Newsroom and True Blood....the rest is REAL crap!
Even Grimm is crap, why?I kinda like it.
crap...
so you've watched, which was kinda my point, so gotsha!!!!okay,I'm just kidding.
Letterman. i Loved his show back in its NBC days now though i find him tedious and boring with horrid writing

God, yes. I even liked Leno best, but just feel he is being formulaic now.Every night the same old thing.
True Blood!

Season One, Two and Three were amazing, but from sn 4, its like the writer ran out of ideas, I keep watching though, hoping that it will get better.
wait i have actually thought of a tv show that i hated yet still watched every episode and that would be Torchwood:Miracle Day. My friend and I both hated what ended up happening in this series and yet we didnt stop watching it (and my god was the ending bad). We pretty much watched it and ended up yelling at the screen at all the points that didnt make sence (which was pretty much the whole time). It really seemed to have a hard time being faithful to old fans while trying to draw in new american fans (cuz it switched from the BBC to Starz) so it was kind of a big mess
I haven't watched it yet, but I will...
I guess you watched it for the same reason I did and yelling at it as much as you did.There was a valid philosophical point to it. It did make me think of death differently, especially in view of the science-fiction mega fan Iam, and the whole immortality sub genre.

When you put it in context with all the vampire are great crap that seems to take over fantasy, and the fascination with immortality; it is nice to see that the issue it arises is more complex than we are usually led to believe.

On the other hand, if you had said the same of Being Human, I would have been a billion percent with you.
It wasnt really the idea of what happens if people can't die but can still be hurt, age and become extremly sick that bugged me because that is acutally a really good idea. it was more how they executed it that annoyed me. Also if you know why/how Jack became imortal on Dr Who and how he is supposed to be a fixed point in time, the ending with Rex doesnt make sence at all.
Just for your reference to Dr Who, you're my kind of girl.And btw, you are right re: Torchwood, it was way too messy. I may be way off, but I think the writers were more interested in showing a gay hero than a valid immortal, which is why they really did not put the effort in making him more believable.
Yup. Russell T Davies wears his issues heavily on his sleeve.

Right from Queer as Folk, through Dr Who and ultimately Torchwood.

Miracle Day was a horrifying mess. Not a lick of sense in all 10 eps.
The ending with Rex is the absolute worst part.
yes it is
It's all very hazy. Something about a bisexual man bleeding into the world-vagina.
Properly guffawing at that!
I believe the word you're looking for is "antipode."
i'm sick of seeing that creepy kid photo on the front page
Amen
but you just kept it there a little bit longer by commenting here
Life's too short to hate-watch. I watch very few shows, and like all the ones I watch. I only hate-watched "Revenge" for a few episodes, but that was only because my husband enjoys it and I tried to like it. I just couldn't, so I stopped. The closest to "hate-watching" I do is "Degrassi", but that's more of an age thing; not a hate thing.
I forgot Homeland from my list. I have already removed it from my Fall schedule and my mind; if there weren't a trailer posted her I would have forgot it existed entirely. The lame way it ended the first season put the nail in the coffin. I'm feeling the same way about Sons of Anarchy, but after 4 seasons, the sunk cost fallacy will keep me watching, but hoping the 6th season will be the last.

I have also hate-watched Parenthood, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones at times. They have elements that I like so they didn't make my list of things I continue to hate-watch. Breaking Bad will be over soon enough, so that resolves itself. Game of Thrones I still have hope for, particularly after the Battle of Blackwater thing, but mostly, I just adjusted my expectations to only expect one good scene per episode and that seemed to work. Parenthood I should probably drop, but I will probably keep watching for Lauren Graham.
I think the 7th season will be the last, according to Sutter.
I forgot every now and again I watch Everybody Loves Raymond just to hate Raymond.
Bunheads!

As far as The Newsroom goes, while it's not one of my top faves, I have watched it every week without "hate". But I can't seem to stop "hate-reading" reviews about The Newsroom, with all their Sorkin-this and Sorkin-that drivel. I get that he's done some nice stuff, but I'd prefer my reviews to be about the SHOWS, not arguing about Sorkin's state-of-mind or his views on society. IMO, the Sorkin discussions in The Newsroom reviews might soon surpass Community reviews' being mostly about Harmon.
Load More Comments