Quick Question: Which of Your Favorite Shows Made a Bad First Impression on You?

Everybody knows the value of a first impression, but particularly TV viewers. If a show starts off on a bad foot, it's can be so hard to overcome that first impression later down the line. It's possible, sure, but a show has to be VERY good in order to win us back over again. Sometimes a show wins us back once it's retooled itself, hired/fired actors, shaken up the writers' room, or finally found its storytelling footing. But if we're being honest, a lot of bad impressions are OUR fault. Personally, sometimes I'm just not in the right frame of mind, or perhaps I was disappointed when a show was not what I was expecting. Or, most commonly, I was just being a straight-up snob about it. In these situations, my coming around on a show was more a matter of finally getting what the creators were trying to do and giving the show a chance to really develop.

Even just a casual perusal of my favorite shows reveals I was wrong about A LOT of them at first. This list is my way of owning it! Here are the shows I love even though they made a bad first impression on me:

True Blood

The Bad First Impression: I just straight-up did not get the pilot. From True Blood's opening scene of random rednecks at a convenience store to the insanely unappetizing chemistry between Sookie and disheveled, creepy vampire Bill, I was so distracted by the things I didn't like that I failed to notice the fun parts.

What Changed: Honestly, I only stuck with True Blood because the Blu-rays were lying around. But my opinion definitely changed in a big way after the graveyard scene. You know which one I mean: The part where Bill dramatically emerged from a shallow grave and then did the dirty with Sookie right there in the mud. It's that sort of craziness that's had me hooked ever since.

The Office (U.S.)

The Bad First Impression: The American adaptation of The Office is pretty notorious for its first-season mistakes. First of all, adapting the pilot script from the British version only served to make it seem unfunny and unoriginal. But my arms were crossed from the get-go, seeing as it was totally unnecessary to remake such a perfect series anyway.

What Changed: I snobbishly avoided The Office until well into Season 3, when too many people I know and love were raving about it. I finally gave it a chance when my sister made me watch "Casino Night," probably one of the most important episodes in the show's history. Even though I barely knew the characters, I could see that this version of The Office was definitely its own thing: hilarious, surprising, and heartbreaking. That final kiss between Jim and Pam? So great.

The Mighty Boosh

The Bad First Impression: I'd heard a lot about British cult comedy The Mighty Boosh and wanted to check it out, but my interest waned in a big way after I looked up some of its sketches on YouTube. Total mistake. The "Old Gregg" scene, specifically, seemed to be a unanimous favorite among internet users, but I did not enjoy it and I wrote off The Mighty Boosh as a result.

What Changed: No less than TV.com's own Tim Surette introduced me to my first proper episode of The Mighty Boosh. Lo and behold, watching the first episode first is probably the best idea! That was a much better point of entry as it demonstrated who these guys were, their senses of humor, and weird personalities. I tore through the entire series on DVD, and even the "Old Gregg" scene seemed suddenly funnier when put back into its original context. I mean, it still didn't make sense, but by that point I'd been clued into the fact that things didn't have to make sense.

White Collar

The Bad First Impression: It wasn't even that anything I'd seen of this show was terrible, per se. It's just that I wrote it off as yet another of USA Network's all-blue-sky drama procedurals with slick locations, easily digestible humor, and no personality.

What Changed: Late-night channel-surfing! I caught the tail end of an episode and was immediately drawn in by how well-edited it was, of all things. You probably won't even believe this, but Matt Bomer wasn't even on-screen yet, so I didn't actually know which show I was watching. But I thought this Mozzie character was pretty fun, and oh hey, there's Tiffani Thiessen! Now I love this show, but this was definitely a situation in which my snobbery had gotten the best of me.

Tom Goes to the Mayor

The Bad First Impression: By now we know that divisive comedy duo Tim & Eric are some of the most influential figures in the comedy world, but back before Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! put them on the map, they made thirty episodes of this Adult Swim oddity. At the time I was watching a lot of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and I just could not believe this poor excuse for an animated show (their mouths didn't even move!) was on national television. I probably only ever watched twenty seconds at a time before angrily changing the channel.

What Changed: A friend of mine took me to see Tim & Eric live on stage, and at that point I didn't make the connection that these were the same guys behind Tom Goes to the Mayor. That show remains one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life. Not only did I reach some kind of pain threshold from laughing so much, their work was just flat-out inspiring to me. I returned to Tom Goes to the Mayor with a new understanding of their humor and to this day I'm an unabashed fanboy of basically everything they do.

So You Think You Can Dance

The Bad First Impression: Considering I was fresh out of college and extremely judgmental about pop culture, I had every reason to assume this dance-based American Idol rip-off wasn't for me. But then I caught a few minutes of Season 1 and my suspicions were confirmed: sequins, jazz numbers, an awful, braying lady judge. Nope, I'll pass!

What Changed: That first impression was short-lived. I gave it another shot only a few weeks later and was immediately sucked in by a group number choreographed by Wade Robson that felt like something out of a Tim Burton film. From then on I was incredibly impressed by the sheer talent and versatility of the dancers, but I also came to really enjoy the unique charms of aforementioned judge Mary Murphy. And two words: Cat Deeley. Man, I love this show so much now.

The Vampire Diaries

The Bad First Impression: Confession time: Before becoming hooked on TVD during its Season 1 finale, I'd had a few run-ins with the show prior to that and I did NOT like it. Don't be mad, but I just didn't understand the appeal of the two leads who weren't in Rules of Attraction, and I hated how dark everything looked. I was also probably suffering from a bit of vampire fatigue, I suppose, not to mention the diminishing returns of Kevin Williamson-style dialogue. But the thing I hated most, and I mean truly despised: the flying credits. WHY did they zoom out at us? They were so distracting and inappropriate!

What Changed: Katherine, for starters. Her arrival at the end of Season 1 triggered that pleasure center part of my brain that was like, "Oh, it's THIS kind of show." After that, the more I watched the more I liked it. Obviously. Season 2 maintained that kind of off-the-wall storytelling and I've absolutely loved Season 3. PLUS the flying credits don't even bother me anymore. So... My bad, The Vampire Diaries. Won't happen again!

Now it's your turn! Which of your favorite shows did you start out hating? And what changed your mind?

I only saw true blood and the office from up there, and true blood i was hooked until the fairy season, office i had high expectations and im glad i stuck with it it is a great funny show looking back. From the comments i saw 2 big ones: The Wire and Community, both needed a bigger sample off episodes to make you interested. Boston Legal, Episodes, Himym and Sons of Anarchy also failed to deliver the goods in the first episodes. But i gotta say my biggest bad first impression was Castle i was thinking it was a one crime history about a serial killer taking people like in his book, and that was only the first plot of a procedural show. Its good to watch with the family, but at first it failed at my expectations..
True Blood, is bad, but is the good kind of bad, the kind that keeps you hooked to the show
White Collar is a little bit slow sometimes, but the rest of times it's really great
TVD is a little bit dull, especially in the last season, at the finale, i decided to not to watch the show the next year(i was sick of the whole cure-love triangle plot lines), but then i saw Silas and the awesome reveal i changed my mind, so it managed to keep hooked up
The others i didn't watch

The Wire, it was very slow the first few episodes, but as the story started unfolding i fell in love with it

Do No Harm, i didn't like the first episode, but after the burn off episodes it gets a lot better, and i think that the main reason it got axed was because of the dead slot

Ray Donovan, the first episode was sooooooooooooo slow i almost wanted to quit, but the is getting better and better every episode

PLL, i don't like teen soaps, but after the first few episodes i fell in love with A

GoT, the first episode was confusing with all of the characters, but i kept watching because "Wolves" and what is more beautiful than wolves?? :)

White Collar, it was a little slow generally in the first season, but then it got awesome

Code Geass(anime), at first it seemed like a childish show with giant robots(which is awesome, but still i don't like childish shows, let alone anime), but then it became the greatest thing i ever saw(movies - tv shows - anime(i only watched 3 anime series), Code Geass became my favorite thing of all time

Things that people say are great but i couldn't get past the few first episodes:
Supernatural: i only watched 2 episodes, and i almost didn't finish the second episode because of how much it sucked, but people say it's a really great show, so maybe it got better, or i just don't like it

The Sopranos, it was soooooooooooooooooo slow i didn't finish watching the second episode, but people say it's one of the greatest thing on tv, maybe it's just not my thing i don't know, but i really hated it

there is a lot other show the i hated at the begging and then fell in love with, and show i didn't watch because the first few episodes sucked but i can't seem to remember those shows now

I generally watch the first 4 episodes and if i liked what i saw i would watch the show forever no matter how bad it became(the only show that i quit watching after more than 4 episodes are Lost Girl, and "almost" TVD)
Yeah, also i tried to give Doctor Who a try, and didn't touch it after the second episode which - i think - was very awful, booooooring and childish, maybe because i am not a big fan of Sci-Fi and a very big fan of logic and common sense which - i believe - the show doesn't seem to care about very much...
Supernatural, actually. Dexter, also. Took me a while to watch Breaking Bad. I also didn't like Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia until I saw like 5 episodes in a row, where I was then like, "okay I understand now"
True Blood, I agree: I had to get used to the way Ana Paquin interpreted Sookie. At the time, i hadn't realized that the show was going to play up her own supernatural angle quite so visibly, so her performance actually legitimized the redneck view of her more than I expected.

TVD, I was probably slogging through episode 4 when I decided to have a little faith and stick with it. The show hadn't really brought it, and tbh, I hated Nina as Elena (Candace would have been more fitting. Since that character continues to suck to this day (largely because the actress is not well-suited for the role), I'm just as glad that Caroline's character has evolved far from the source material. She's my favorite character. Don't get me wrong, I love to hate Nina's Katherine (played as a straight-up femme fetale), so it's not like I think Nina has no talent.

Fringe, actually. The science is sooo fantasy science that I thought it was a poorly conceived X-Files reboot. I follow the show now, but even to this day, I can't sit through repeat episodes. It is simply not something I have to see more than once.

Breaking Bad. Guy in his underwear in an RV runs off the road and begins recording a suicide message to family, the opening scene screamed spectacle for spectacle's sake (only spectacle was redefined as loser-y: read, loser-y for the sake of being loser-y). I thought it was a rather obvious pandering to quirk-lovers. I turned it off and only at great urging to try again did I realize how awesome it was.

Also had to stick with eps 2-6 of Justified before starting to like it as much as the first episode.

Season 1 of Star Trek TNG sucked. I only suffered it because it was the family show. Luckily, season 2 started rewarding my patience.
LOST. But then the hatch door appears... and opens... and the number thing, if it doesn't make sense, takes on a mystical significance... and that Dharma Orientation video...
Terra Nova.
The Lying Game rubbed me off in the middle of the episode, it seemed to be going nowhere. It toke until after episode 5 for me to recommit, now its not my favorite, but it is good.
I must admit that Community and the Mentalist, didn't click on me at first. For community, the trailer was hillarious, but the first two episodes were like going out from a hangover. Then the movie references came in and I was hooked till today.

For mentalist, well Robin Tunney's character made me love it. I love her playful quirks from time to time. Other than that, I still believe psych is better on the con side.
True Blood, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, House and Squidbillies. I didn't like Buffy because I thought there was no way it could be better than the movie. Boy, was I wrong on that one! It took someone convincing me -re: verbal abuse to the nerd center of my brain- to watch Angel that made me go back and watch Buffy, forever changing my opinion. On the downside, I went into Firefly thinking it be good, since Buffy and Angel were so great... That was an epic mistake. With True Blood, vampire fatigue played a big part of me swearing I'd never watch the show. In my late 20's, teen vampire nonsense became the lowest common denominator. Lo and behold, my father was a BIG fan of the show and the books and eventually sat me down to watch. I've been hooked ever since. Being a fan of Scrubs, I thought House was just a dramatic rip-off. Luckily, a friend and fellow Scrubs fan told me that wasn't the case, though, I quit watching after the fifth season finale. As for Squidbillies... I was a fan of the whole Adult Swim lineup -save for anything Tim and Eric and their anime selections- but Squidbillies, because I thought it was retarded. Turns out, it was retardedly awesome!
Really, re*tard*ed is bleeped out? When did that become a swear word?
Hmm. True Blood for sure!

It's funny but when I first watched TVD I totally went with it!
True Blood, The Vampire Diaries, How I met Your Mother, Community, Fringe, Supernatural (!!) (I was SO annoyed at Sam in the first episode) were all shows I started watching and something just put me off. I am quite picky in that sense, if something is bothering me, I quit immediately.

For various of reasons I returned to them and never looked back. This is the reason I try to give shows 2nd shots. I usually take a long break and wait until there is an entire season I can commit to and try again.

Has worked out for me.
NCIS: I initially thought they were some form of MP's who investigated murders. But one summer, I saw another episode or two (the one with Frank Whaley and "Doppleganger" I think), and I enjoyed those episodes a lot more than the first one I saw. Also, I caught several third season episodes one Saturday on USA, and I found myself getting more interested in the series (although the episodes by the two writers who used to produce Crazy Like a Fox are still my least favorite). Also, The Big Bang Theory, which I initially wrote off as "Bosom Buddies with nerds." I started watching regularly when I saw Steve Holland's name in the credits, and I was happy the writers had Sheldon and Penny hook up at the beginning of the third season instead of trying to dangle that plotline through the whole course of the show.

TVD for sure. I was forced to watch by a friend, and didn't even get remotely interested until 10 episodes or so when they had that car crash cliffhanger when Elena found out about Katherine looking like her. Even then I was just sort of curious. Like you, it was the arrival of Katherine that had me immediately streaming the first few episodes of Season 2 in rapid succession. After that I was hooked. But my theory is that you can get hooked on pretty much any show if you marathon it.

Other shows that had slooooow starts for me but I was peer pressured into watching until I liked: One Tree Hill, Supernatural, Smallville... wow I'm noticing a pattern here. Maybe I should try another channel.
The only one I can agree with is The Office US, and that's because our version is genius in it's own way and watching Americans try to play out the same scenes with different phrasing and sensibilities was painful, after the pilot I had written it off, gave the second series a chance a year later and loved it. True Blood the first scene totally sold me on it, and helped me like the series from the start. The Mighty Boosh I had my mind made up about that before I watched it and the first ep changed my mind, once I'd let myself adjust to the humour I loved it. Parks and Rec should be number 1 on this list, that and The Office are the 2 worst first impressions for me. And Lastly, 'So You Think You Can Dance?', seriously, those kinds of shows are only watched in the UK by women in their mid to late twenties and thirties, and they kill scripted programming by being cheap and utter cack.
The first episode of Justified was awesome. But the second one was so bad I stopped watching the show for a year. After hearing TV.com and the Totally Rad Show sing its praises so much I tuned back in again. By Episode 4 I was hooked. Now it's one of the shows I look forward to the most (though the last few eps have been a little silly such as when they tried to frame the lead character again...please)
A really personal one was the poor horse of The Walking Dead pilot. Don't get me wrong: the whole show is a master piece from beginning to end, but killing that poor horse gave me the creeps! It wasn't exactly a bad first impression as much as a devastating impression, but I think it should count because its a show I love.
For me it was True Blood, it was the boom of Twilight and I was sick of vampires, but the next year I was dying of boredom with one of my friends and he put true blood dvd and I was hooked since then!
Definitely Criminal Minds! There were far too many CSIs, NCISs and Cold Cases back then to form a good imoression of yet another procedural and, somehow, Criminal Minds won me over despite of it
what didn't sit me well with Criminal Minds in the beginning was Lola Glaudini. Never could see her a super-FBI-agent. The minute she was replaced with Paget Brewster I decided to give the series a go and have been hooked ever since.
I thought she was convincing in a "The Bridge", "Homeland" or "Bones" kind of way, and Brewster's character was sweeter in a "Castle", "Medium" or "Elementary" style of female detective.
Criminal Minds. For me it didn't get good till about season 3. I've watched every episode because I love cop shows and I love Reid and Hotch but I really didn't like the first couple of seasons. The main problem I had with it in the beginning was that it thought it was smarter than it's audience; the best example of that being in one early episode (can't remember which one) Reid told the team that there was rohypnol in a victim's system and Elle turned to Hotch and explained what rohypnol was. Firstly, it's unlikely that someone watching a show like CM wouldn't know what it was and secondly, there is no way Hotch doesn't know what it is.

Plus, I never liked Elle and wasn't particularly keen on Gideon so IMO it got a lot better when they were gone.
TVD for me. I caught the end of the first episode on the night it premiered, thought "I don't want to watch Boone from Lost pretend to be an evil vampire" and turned it off. Recently my friends had been pestering my about it so I gave in and started watching on Netflix. By the end of the second episode, I'd completely forgotten about Boone and was totally hooked!

Suits is another one that started off shaky. I watched the first couple of episodes, mostly only because Gina Torres finally got hired in something and I'll give anything that has a Firefly actor at least a try. While it may not be the best show on USA, it's certainly gotten better.

There should be one of these blogs for shows that have turned us away. I can think of many more examples of shows I started out loving and then started to get bored with. xD
I second the vote for a blog about shows that jumped the shark almost from the beginning because that would be most of the new shows I have started watching.
Really Suits?!! I thought they nailed the show from the very beginning! I thought that was one of the strongest pilots for a show I've seen in a while. I so agree with you about Gina Torres. Love her, so her and the initial concept is what drew me in and the great writing, dialogue, and characters is what kept me watching. It's one of my fave USA shows!

Also agree about a blog for shows that turned us away..I have a long list of those!
Yeah, it was odd how it worked. I really liked the pilot and thought "I'll love this show for sure!" then tuned in the next week and liked it a lot less. Maybe I'd built it up in my head to be something totally epic. Haha! Anyway, a few episodes later and I was hooked again.
Absolutely TVD. I was also "vampired out" when the pilot was released, so I honestly shot it down without ever even watching the show. Fortunately, I caught it on Netflix when they went up last September. I'm actually glad I didn't catch it from the beginning because, let's be honest, the first five or so episodes... kind of sucked. Once this show hit it's stride though, it really nailed it. Now, minus the ridiculously lacking Bonnie storyline, the show can pretty much do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.
Can someone explain what "flying credits" are? I'm not a native English speaker and tried google already but didn't find an explanation.
That's not really a "technical" term. It just refers to the style of the opening credits. (I assume you watch TVD since that's what was referenced as having "flying credits".) You know how after the "TVD" screen shows up and then is immediately followed by "Nina Dobrev", "Paul Wesley", "Ian Somerhalder", etc? Well, the names "fly" out at the screen. They zoom from the back of the screen to the front before fading out for the next name. That's "flying credits". Does that explanation make sense?
Thank you, Baw5704! That was my first guess but then I though: why would someone worry about such a thing, 'flying credits' must be something more important ;)
Farscape.

I wrote it off as muppets in space. But someone from work convinced me I had to watch it and I tried again and got addicted.

Can't say that about any recent shows, but it may be that I am extremely picky and that frame of mind thing you so wisely pointed out.
I'm ashamed to admit... it was Breaking Bad. I watched one episode because my ex told me it was amazing. and I just couldn't push through. I came back to the show like a year later and since then I know it's the best on tv since forever. but some of my friends have the same problem and I keep telling them it's worth it and they still won't try going past a couple episodes.
I agree with you. I've never gotten to the point like most people to call it the best show the universe has ever known...but that first episode was definitely a slog...staying with the show definitely paid off though.
For me, that's gotta be Seinfeld. I hated the show for the longest time. That hate mostly stemmed from the despicable characters that were Jerry and company. They seemed to me to be total sociopaths, bordering on the most extremes of narcissistic tendencies. Was this a mirror of our society in the 90s? In any case, since it was Seinfeld I did watch the last episode, and after... s.p.o.i.l.e.r. a.l.e.r.t. - seeing them receive their comeuppance and land behind bars for not helping a man out who was getting his car stolen, I thought, finally. It was then that I could go back and watch the rest of the episodes and find them funny enough because of that foreknowledge of their eventual incarceration. Mind you, even while imprisoned their countenance was unchanging, but at least they weren't terrorizing the neighbourhood with their tomfoolery. Sociopaths to the end they were.
To be fair, the first season of Seinfeld was pretty bad. There were glimpses of greatness to be sure...
Definitely the Vampire Diaries first. Also Fringe started out very slow. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
I actually bailed on Buffy twice but came back and watched it to the end.
Wow totally agree with you about True Blood, TVD and SYTYCD. I was totally shocked they were actually good. Other surprises for me ...

1) Fringe - had no plans for ever watching, it looked like an X-files rip-off. So embarrassed I ever thought that of my beloved Fringe!

2) Lost - why on earth would I watch a show that revolved around a premise of people being lost??? Boy was I wrong, their backstories were what kept me coming back.

2) Alias - it just looked like it couldn't live up to expectations.

I'm so glad I was wrong!
Community didn't do a thing for me with his 2 first episodes. I remember trying to like it, but finding it kinda weak in the comedy department. I saw episode 3 like 5 months later and love it, but the next episodes were just okay. But after all the hype all over the world I obligated myself and saw the rest of the season. I WAS BLOWN AWAY. Best comedy since the first 3 seasons from HIMYM.
sooo true about The Vampire Diaries.
Fringe and Carnivale. I didn't really like the pilot of Fringe that much. It seemed like another procedural cop show with a supernatural twist. But then it got a arc story and that is what got my interest. With Carnivale I watched halfway into the pilot and got really confused and gave up on it but it was mentioned somewhere else and I decided to give it another watch and now I love it.
I agree that the First episode of Fringe was pretty tedious. In fact, I found the first half of season 1 to be fairly tedious. But now I enjoy it.
probably TVD. it took my friend nearly 6 months 2 convince me to watch it cuz i thought it would be like twilight n i hate twilight. in the 1st 5episodes, i was bored but by 2nd season i was utterly hooked n totally n irrevocably in love with damon! now damon is probably 1 of my fav characters of all time n the show is my favourite. :)
Definitely Bones made a bad first impression to me, but then I realized how good it was.
I don't fault anyone for liking Bones. But I just don't understand why. To me it's so superficial and annoying. I want to like it because it seems like everybody else does.
Justified. Very pleased that i stuck with that show. Bones is another one 'cause the first few episodes were rough, imo.
Oh, lord I just realized one! And now I'm going to talk about it because I think it's relevant and that it matters! HERE GOES.

Merlin. If you haven't seen Merlin, or haven't seen anything besides Season 1 Merlin...let me tell you, you can watch it from the beginning, but you'll need patience. There's a lot of awkward action, there's a lot of so-so dialogue and even more so-so humor, but if you stick with it you will not regret it. It's become something really quite special. Season 2 is definitely an improvement, Season 3 is great, and Season 4 just descends into a wonderful darkness that isn't quite on par with, for instance, Game of Thrones, but is without a doubt the best thing the show has done.
Agreed. Over the top/evil Morgana was so much better than rich-girl Morgana from the early seasons. The show has also gotten better as Merlin has grown a spine and started sassing Arthur (to his face). Did I hear right that S5 will be the last?
I've heard it could be. Not sure yet...but if it is, I do think I won't be TOO upset. They've known from the start what they wanted to do...they've had a plan. So if it does end after Season 5, at least we'll know they didn't drag it out for no reason.

That said, the prospect of a Season 6 makes me giddy. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. They haven't even started filming Season 5 yet.
CSI - My introduction to CSI was the season one episode "Gentle, Gentle". I found the episode so depressing, I didn't care about watching another episode. A few years later, though, I decided to give the series another shot. This time around I found the show more interesting. Soon I fell in love with the characters, with the forensics, and with the series.

Scrubs - I didn't "get" the show's humor until I watched the season one dvds.

Eureka - I tried watching the pilot episode, but Zoe's bratty attitude made me turn the channel. Thankfully, I gave the series (and Zoe) another shot later on.
Both Parks and Rec and Community were awful out of the gate. They are now my favorite comedies.
Fringe for me. The Mark Valley episodes almost ruined the show IMO, but it is now definitely one of my favourite shows
same here. I liked Mark in Boston Legal, but he has absolutely no chemistry with Anna Torv. felt stiff and forced, very glad his story arc finished quickly
They are married in real life.
Didn't they get divorced? Or just separated? Maybe that's why their characters didn't work. Personal problems affecting work performance, or something.
I thought Breaking Bad had the worst beginning because of the underwear/diaper scene. But the show just got better and better, and I love it now.
really? that's what brought me in (well not the underwear, but the quirkiness). now it's just freakin dark, without the quirks.
I got hooked when the ceiling fell in.
I agree about TVD. Its now one of my all time faves, but I had only started watching it last season. I had watched the pilot and couldnt stand it. the summer between the first and second season, I had watched the entire first season and came to the conclusion that it didn't really get good until the fifth episode. I still cant watch those first five without being bored. I mostly just skip over them on dvd.

For me, there was FOX's "Sit Down, Shut Up". Its first episode was really stupid, and the second was about as bad, if not worse. I only watched the first episode and gave up right there. Fast forward to nearly three years later, I downloaded the first season as I was going to write up a review of it, and see if maybe I was a bit too harsh as I heard there was a small fanbase after cancellation. I checked it out, and it seemed that the first two were the crappiest of the series. Everything afterwards improved. I've watched the entire series, and it made me laugh really hard. 8.8/10
TVD definitely had a bad first impression on me.. After watching the pilot, I was expecting something much more similar to - sorry to mention it - Twilight. I was very much mistaken, though. In my defense, the pilot really DID seem that way!

Honestly, I liked True Blood from the very beginning and same goes for White Collar.

The Office didn't necessarily make a bad first impression on me, but I was not diggin' it at first and that's for sure. But I came around after about 2 or 3 episodes so the progression was quick.

The main one would have to be The O.C. I even hated the simple IDEA of it back when it first aired. My own stubbornness got the best of me on this one as I was just expecting more Laguna Beach-esque garbage. However, It came to be one of my favorite shows of all time!

30 Rock also had a bad first impression. What's unique about them, though, is that I came around eventually and then after the third or fourth season I started disliking it again. So...

Let's talk about shows that had a GOOD first impression and ended up being terrible..

1. The Big Bang Theory - (Looked like it'd be funny. Well, it is not.)

2. Grey's Anatomy - (Yes, surprisingly it gave me a GOOD impression at first because of all the Tegan & Sara songs in season 1)

3. The Simpsons - (I thought 6 seasons was plenty, let it die already!)

4. House - (went downhill after season 3)

5. Glee - (it seemed like it would be great. Boy what I ever wrong!)
What so bad about Glee?
Haha, I thought I was the only one who disliked TBBT. :D
breaking bad. I started watching half way in the second or third episode when the characters were running between a cellar and a camper van I didn't get it and stopped watching. It all felt ridiculous. I recently started watching again from the beginning. It's now one of my favorite shows and that scene is fantastic if you know whats going on.
Sookeh is miiinee!
For me it was the other way around: The Office, The Event and Alcataz made such a GOOD first impression that I can't believe how I can't stand them right now, but maybe that's for another article.
I had the exact same feeling when it comes to the Office, didnt like it at first, but now it's my all time favourite TV-Show.
I wrote off Dr Who and Gilmore Girls before ever seeing a full ep. I am really glad I eventually caved and watched an ep, they're two of my favourite shows now
for me it was The Vampire Diaries.I really didn't like it at first,but it got better during season one.for me the game changer was Damon!!!
i;d have to say glee (and i want to be clear i;m talking about season 1 glee, not today;s glee). one of my friends made me sit through the first two episodes new years eve of 09 and i couldn;t get past how all the characters looked old enough to be the teachers and how selfish and stereotypical all the characters were. then i wanted to tune in to see nph and realized it was actually a good show.... course that was in season 1.
took me a while to accept those things about the show as well. Eventually, I realized that Glee exists in it's own universe where: the age of a character, the age of the actor, the grade level of the character and the actions that character takes (driving, having sex, being on varsity football/cheer) are completely unrelated to each other. Once I got past thinking "why is a freshman the star quarterback?" or "how does a 15 year old look 24 and have his own pool cleaning business?" and began to just appreciate the humor and message, the show got much better.
No offense. I appreciate the youth perspective. But it sure would be nice to read the point of view of somebody in their 40s or 50s as well. You know, the people who were young when the original shows that are now constantly made homage to or remade first aired.
New Girl, Whitney, 2 Broke Girls - didn't really like at first, but NOW I find these shows HILARIOUS and very entertaining! So glad that stuck around with them!
Load More Comments