QUICK QUESTION: Which Unjustly Canceled Shows Are You STILL Heartbroken Over?

They say time heals all wounds, but first of all, who are "they"? Second of all, "they" are dunces, because we all know that time does not heal all wounds. At least not when it comes to TV series we devoted countless viewing hours, break room discussion time, and daydreams to. You know, TV shows so excellent we had no choice but to give them our hearts, only to have them smashed by TV executives with sledgehammers and Excel spreadsheets. We all know television is a business and low-rated shows just don't reap enough rewards for the networks who produce them. But you know what? We'd like to live in a world that is just and fair and in which TV shows stay on the air because they are GOOD. So let's daydream for a moment: Which unjustly canceled TV show(s) are you still heartbroken over after all these years? Here are some of ours:

Party Down

Considering Party Down looked like it was filmed on a budget of about $50, I still can't believe Starz didn't see fit to make ten seasons of it. Although many of the cast members were on the cusp of superstardom, they seemed more than willing to keep the party going. But beyond the seeming ease of production, Party Down was consistently funny through both seasons, and its overarching storylines were only just heating up. Did Henry ever make it as an actor? Did he and Casey ever make it work? We may never know! (That is, unless the long-rumored Party Down movie ever happens, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.)

My So-Called Life

My So-Called Life's cancellation remains, for me, the most painful of all canceled shows. This classic mid-'90s Claire Danes drama lasted only 19 low-rated episodes on ABC. Seriously, 19 is such an awkward number! They couldn't have just gone ahead and made the other three? Or maybe just one more episode? ONE? I mean, did Angela and Rayanne ever become besties again? Did Jordan Catalano end up being the dream boyfriend Angela always wanted? You know, if there had been a WB or CW at the time, My So-Called Life would have been on for about SIX seasons. Ugh, I'm getting so mad all over again!

Deadwood

This foul-mouthed HBO drama will always be known as one of the great series of our times, which we all know is nothing less than the Golden Age of Television. So we're talking good TV here. However, after its third season wound down, fans were shocked and dismayed when a fourth season never happened, and then not even the handful of TV movies HBO promised to tie up the various loose ends. Now we'll probably never learn what happens to Hearst, Swearengen, Tolliver, Bullock, and the rest of the filthy c---suckers of Deadwood, South Dakota.

Wonderfalls

Before he created the similarly canceled-too-soon Pushing Daisies, executive producer Bryan Fuller created this even quicker-canceled dramedy about a small-town girl who starts following the orders of talking trinkets. Wonderfalls had one of the most distinctive tones of any network TV show, a perfect distillation of quarterlife ennui, magical realism, and touching character moments. Although its one and only 13-episode season is relatively self-contained, it's hard not to imagine where the show could've gone if it had a full-season (or more!) to continue pushing the boundaries of unusual TV.

Arrested Development

Most Arrested Development fans can't help but feel satisfied that we got THREE seasons when it seemed we wouldn't even get a full ONE. Call it S.O.B. exhaustion, but it was hard to complain too much when the Bluth family finally rode off into the sunset, and at least creator Mitch Hurwitz had enough warning to craft a suitable, satisfying ending. But that doesn't mean we can't wish there was more of it! Call me selfish, but I could watch twenty seasons of this thing. And while rumors of possible new episodes and/or a movie DO excite me, I can't help but think it'll never happen. Sorry, I definitely have some unresolved issues here. Maybe I should bring them up with my analrapist.

Freaks & Geeks

Here's another heartbreaker. Produced by Judd Apatow and created by Paul Feig, Freaks & Geeks perfectly captured the highs and lows of the average suburban teenager, but managed to make the show practically sparkle with optimism and good intention. What a bunch of completely likable people! Even a young, grouchy Seth Rogen comes across as a charmer. Most of these kids (and creators) are superstars today but it's hard not to daydream what would've happened when Lindsay returned from that Grateful Dead concert.

Buffy / Angel / Firefly / Dollhouse / All future Joss Whedon series

All right, it's probably a stretch to say that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was canceled unjustly after seven seasons (on two different networks), but I think it's safe to say that Buffy fans weren't necessarily thrilled about the manner in which the show ended and would have preferred a proper Season 8 to the comic book version released in 2007. But that disappointment was nothing compared to the intense ongoing agony that Firefly fans continue to feel. Cut entirely too short by Fox after the network manhandled the episodes it did air, an incredible number of loose threads and potential storylines were left hanging, which the feature film Serenity only partly resolved. And then there was Dollhouse. You know what, let's also just throw in any future shows Joss Whedon ever makes. THOSE were canceled too soon also. WHERE is the justice in this world? Someone should call The Avengers!

Now it’s your turn to weigh in with your own choices, or to defend or support my selections above: Which unjustly canceled shows are you STILL heartbroken over?

Comments (1,395)
Others that should be on this list

Carnivale, Undeclared, Twin peaks, Sports night.
D**n! I'm getting Firefly-obesessed all over again!
Firefly (along with its companion piece, the masterful feature film Serenity) was one of the boldest SF series ever conceived and brought to life.

Firefly dared to ask the really big questions. What is freedom? Does government ensure freedom, or is government the biggest enemy of freedom?

Perhaps the only other tv series that came close to the intellectual depth of Firefly/Serenity was the reimagined Battlestar Galactica.
Dollhouse and Firefly were the most unjustly cancelled. Firefly had better writing I think, but both had a lot to offer.
JERICHO, JERICHO, JERICHO AND JERICHO!!!!
grifters

black donelly's

life

the unit (tailed off in the last season but was good)

dollhouse (rily!)
I am still so upset about Dollhouse and Firefly, two shows that I rematch on the reg. Both shows had so much more ground to cover with story lines, possibilities were endless.

Also, Better Off Ted, devo!
Invasion such an amazing show cut down in its prime
Arrested Development

Caprica

V
Rubicon

Happy Town

Better Off Ted

Bored To Death

AD (But it comes back ;) )
Legend of the Seeker....i still can't believe it got cancelled :(
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Firefly
1. Heroes

2. Kyle XY

3. Dollhouse

4. Persons Unknown

5. Lie to Me

6. My Own Worst Enemy

7. Dresden Files

8. Deadwood

9. Reaper

10. Pushing Daisies
Heroes? Really?
Heroes were canceled too late, in my opinion.

If it was canceled after the first season, it would have stayed a one hit wonder. And it probably would be on this list.
I stopped watching Heroes after season...2? 3? Oh god they're all so similar!
From this list, DOLLHOUSE for sure. I'm surprised you didn't mention "Andy Richter Controls the Universe" or "Parker Lewis Can't Lose", though.
Price, of your suggestions I've only seen a few of the Whedonverse shows, and among them I completely agree with Firefly. Some shows need to end, their stories have been told and if they continue you can see how stale and bad they can become (i.e. Heroes). What's heartbreaking about Firefly is knowing how much potential story was out there and knowing it will never be.

My number one unjustly canceled show would be Jericho. Great cast, great concept, well made, well written, interesting characters. I blame this all on CBS. I didn't even hear about the show until I happened to catch an ad for the second season about three days before it was supposed to air. It caught my eye and I sought out season 1 and fell in love. I realize that post-apocalyptic storylines can be depressing and harsh, and this had that, but it had so much more. The complicated family dynamic, the fractured family that had to struggle together to get through such tough times, and ultimately everyone made mistakes but they all learned to own up to them. Great characters filled the town and gave us even more to care about. The mystery surrounding the bombings and how that wove together was fun. And I just enjoyed getting to root for Skeet Ulrich and Gerald McRaney.

Another one that still irks me is Terminator: TSCC. I didn't want the show to end, but if it was going to end, ending it like that was just stupid! I've been a fan of the franchise since my pre-teen years when I was first introduced to Edward Furlong as John Connor. I've seen all the movies and enjoyed them (yes, I know they aren't all great, but they are still decently entertaining). I was really looking forward to the show. I loved Summer Glau from The 4400 and Firefly and was excited to see her try to be a tough terminatrix - she can kick some serious ass. Lena Headey is an amazing actress and I knew she would bring something special to the character of Sarah Connor. I was unfamiliar with Thomas Dekker, which worked really well for me to be able to believe he was John Connor. He did a great job showing the transition of a boy who is completely rebelling against the future and is desperately trying to hold onto his immaturity and then slowly accepting responsibility, his fate, and becoming a man. In two seasons he changed dramatically, and I was so excited to see where it would go from there. Overall, it was entertaining, interesting, and plenty more story to tell. Final cliffhanger promised a huge change in storyline that never got to be fulfilled. Tragic.
Defiantly true about all the Joss Whedon shows. I miss firefly :(. To many sub-plots left unanswered.

Also Jericho end to quickly as well as Camelot and moonlight. They had potential and I hope they bring back primeval (British show) or I'll be really unhappy. And although I haven't watched it in awhile (so I could be wrong) I don't think 4400 end well and could have gone on for a couple of more seasons.
LEGEND OF THE SEEKER!!! was the one that made me heart sick the most, cancelled after only two seasons!! Based off an amazing series of books (11 and counting) It was by far the most amazing fantasy series ever!! Also two others from the early 2000's Dark Angel and Birds of prey. 2 kick-butt sci-fi shows that weren't given a chance but had amazing potential.
Off the top of my head, Defying Gravity and The Dresden Files. There's also the original Star Trek back in '69 and Farscape. IMO, the first two shows could be ressurected. Curious that both of these fine Canadian shows were killed in so similiar a fashion.
Veronica Mars (RIP)!!!
Better off Ted!
Dead Like Me, Party Down, Twin Peaks, Veronica Mars, United States of Tara, Heroes, and several more not at the top of my head.

Also, The Playboy Club. I feel like it had potential. I was actually upset when it was cancelled so soon.
- Firefly

- Legend of the Seeker

- Firefly

- The Unit

- Firefly

- Stargate: Universe

The list goes on...
Moonlight. The Alex O'Loughlin Moonlight was unjustly cancelled: it had good ratings, great fan base and the topic is on demand: Vampire and Human love.

Twilight is boring but is garnering huge fan base and huge profits.

True Blood is absolutely gross but still going strong.

So if the topic is fashion, the show was on the death slot but still got 7 million + viewers, why on Earth was it cancelled? Bad critics reviews?

Who are the networks supposed to please: viewers or critics?

Cause if it's the critics then there should be other popular shows already cancelled.
I'm still reeling from the original Star Trek being cancelled back in the '60s!
LEGEND OF THE SEEKER. Yes, all caps, screaming at the top of my voice here. The show just wasn't given a fair chance - horrible time slot, not enough promotion etc.

And LEGEND OF THE SEEKER should not have been cancelled, because it was superb. Hardly ever do you see a show THAT great in so many different aspects: from the outstanding cast (such a hot cast,too; I kid you not, even the extras are cute), the special effects, the amazing fighting choreography & slow-motion scenes, the breathtaking scenery, the original classy costumes and design, the award-winning soundtrack, the rich mythology vital for the genre... The talent of the entire cast and crew never cease to amaze me!

It is simply the best fantasy show I've ever seen. Moreover, it's film-quality brought to the TV screen - and all that at a rather low production cost. Not to mention the second season was so much more intense and iconic than the first! If you just watch the show and know nothing of the TV production business, it would make no sense to you the show was not renewed for a third season.

Irony is, this autumn, the usually niche fantasy genre has many new productions in store. I must admit, all those new fantasy TV shows pale by comparison with LEGEND OF THE SEEKER.

Meanwhile, fans of the Seeker keep fighting to find a new home for the series, they spread the word, and many people now discover Legend of the Seeker for the first time & immediately fall in love with it.

A year and a half passed since "Tears" and after all this time, I am still heartbroken over the cancellation of the Seeker. :( When will a TV network or a production company realize Legend of the Seeker has a dedicated and growing fandom hungry for new Seeker adventures?
I totaly agree with you... I miss this serial so much that I can tel..... Am sure if they start this series again... With season 3 I am dam sure with this number of fan following they will definitely have great business from it.. And eventully they will end up making more seasons of this series....i dont knw what uare they thinking.... A Dumb man can understand that this is very profitable.
lie to me :C
I just watched both the Veronica Mars and John Doe series, and I've got to agree with the people who've listed them. Those were some kick ass series that never should have been canceled.

As far as endings go for those series, I liked the John Doe ending better then that of Veronica Mars. He found the girl, so we can at least pretend that he found out who he was and had a happy ending. But the Veronica Mars left a very unlikeble situation.
Shows, that were "unjustly" cancelled is a little open to interpretation, if you look at it from a networks stand point: Lagging ratings, cost to produce, how many reality shows they can produce for the same price...

For most viewers it's about favorite shows and last episode aired.

For instance, Buffy and Dollhouse both felt complete to me when their final episode ended, even if I have since enjoyed comic book continuations.

Someone on the list said Farscape, but at least Farscape, Dead Like Me and a few others have gotten TV movies to give them and "ending."

So, to me for cancellation to be unjust show should have been cancelled, due to ratings, maybe even a slump the show fell into, but it was due to network moves or they recovered BEFORE the last aired episode. Or not given a good solid chance from the get go.

All that said: Firefly, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, V (2009), Drive, Deadwood, The 4400, Human Target, Legend of the Seeker
Biggest disappointment for me was when Moonlight was cancelled.
Ok first my choice from your list not including Joss Whedon shows would be Deadwood. I like many people when first heard about a western on HBO with real life characters assumed there would be a good amount of gunfights, showdowns with both guns and fists and fast paced and alot of swearing. But all who watched it like myself quickly realized that the only things we assumed about in the show were the real characters and ESPECIALLY the cursing. But all those who stuck with it realized it was not Sergio Leoni's spaghetti westerns, but more like if Shakespeare had written westerns. What I mean is it was all about characterizations, first with an absolutely fantastic ensemble of actors and their memorable characters. To name the best Timothy Olyphant "Seth Bullock" and the even greater career making role Ian Mcshane "Al Swearengen" not to mention Brad Dourif in real life and not a killer doll, The great Jim Beaver now more famous on the show "Supernatural" and many others who all went on to have careers. So this was a character building or standstill show but intriguing and great acting yes you Ian and Tim, bottom line it was not for everybody and after S3 I waited and waited for possible S4 or movies that never came!

Ok my personal choice FARSCAPE! not many people have heard of it being a sci fi show that ran for four seasons from 09-03. It was supposed to be just one more fifth season made but it got CANCELED! But yes like some miracles a couple of years later due to those wonderful fans they made a mini series movie that wrapped everything up. So people FARSCAPE is my all time favorite tv show I highly recommend checking it out

Ok this is my Joss Whedon opinions: 1. Buffy, first the show wasn't officially canceled it was bought out by UPN after S5. And as for SMG she had a 7 year contract and decided to not continue with a season 8, it was her choice so I can't see it as being canceled. And I have no idea what "fans" were disapointed with the ending of the series, S7 and wanted comic S8 to have been made instead. Have any of you read the comic S8? It started promising then there was death, and death, and more death. Fucking Dawn a centaur. Oh yeah more death depressing. Then the end reveal of the villain MADE NO SENSE! The tv series finales were always bittersweet, but the comic an original character dies and it is downright DEPRESSING!. Now of course on to Angel which i am glad got five seasons, S4 is my favorite and I don't care what anyone says. Next Dollhouse, well since certain people seem to want action and no dialogue with no character development, I mean check out some of The Walking Dead forums! "The show is slow. nothing happens, I want more zombies and less talking!" seriously people say this stuff and anyway back to DH which started out with an almost Matrix like idea about a place where people can buy a person with a downloaded personality of their choosing, from "sex partners" to companions to spies. It was planned to be a five season show and it's to bad because over S1 the real arc is revealed a little at a time until the last few episodes where it really started getting serialized. But for a change DH was renewed for S2 and I guess Whedon knew it was going past that so he basically put the rest of the whole arc of four seasons and made it into the second and final season, while it seemed very rushed at times at least it concluded.

Ok my the last show which I will NEVER forgive FOX for not only messing up Firefly but also canceling it. I mean they didn't air the plot first, in fact they aired it last months later. they aired the episodes out of order and not weekly and also while the show was filemd in widescreen FOX stretched it out to full. If The freaking idiots on FOX actually aired this show THE WAY ALL SHOWS ARE AIRED then I know Firefly would have been huge, possibly as big and popular as Buffy and Angel. But at least there was Serenity but it didn't resolve all the story arcs only some.

Oh and here is just a few that should not have gotten the axe: Twin Peaks, Jericho, The Dead Zone despite the last aired season sucked, The 4400, Terminator:TSCC, Legend of the Seeker but hey read "The Sword of Truth" books which legend is based on by Terry Goodkind. The first book is my all time favorite book ever and I have read alot of books!, plus it's different enough especially the ending so you can enjoy an alternate version of season 1. the same goes for book/season 2
The Gates (awesome show! like haven, except it didn't survive) and dollhouse!
Farscape, Angel, Caprica, Firefly, Carnivale, Rome, and Deadwood.
Angel had such a terrible ending. I remember it left me sitting on the edge of my seat. Still feel at a loss years later!
VERONICA MARS...and JERICHO!!!
Buffy wasn't cancelled. It ended of its own accord. Sarah wanted to do more movies so she went to Joss and they decided season 7 would be the final season. It wasn't cancelled.

Angel was only cancelled because Joss was impatient and didn't want to wait until that May to get an answer. He rushed them, asking for a yes or no right away, so they told him no.

I'm only disappointed at losing Eastwick, Veronica Mars, and Tru Calling. They could have gone a long way.
Definitely tops on my list: Firefly

Followed closely by Dollhouse

V

Witches of Eastwick

Vengeance (90's show with Michael Madsen)

The Pretender

Tru Calling

Kindred: The Embraced (1996)

Drive (Nathan Fillion fan!)

The 4400

Terminator: SCC

Dresden Files

Moonlight

Human Target

Off the Map

Nine Lives of Chloe King
The Pretender!!! That was really great!
Firefly is for sure number 1

The 4400

Rome

Flight of the Concords

Blade
where to start ?

FireFly

Eleventh Hour - Rufus Sewell rocked it - and just when it started to get cool they cancel,

Max Headroom

Life

Jericho

Terriers

The Good Guys

Lie to Me

Rubicon

Memphis Beat

Men of a certain age

Caprica

Deadwood

Lights Out

Rags to Riches - I was a kid just like them - so I remember being angry - grrr :) and the same about - My so called life and Wonderfalls and AD

Twin Peaks

The Pretender

FlashForward

Zen

Midnight Caller

The Unusuals

Six Degrees

State of Mind

Love Bites

and I sure forgot some more

Definitely FlashForward. I heard the reason was the show was for intelligent people? Could that possibly be a reason?
Well I think tacrobit's comment confirms yours. The thing people said about FF was while it started with a bang it then slowed down some and people didn't give care anymore. I say they didn't give it a chance to get past the first several episodes where they set the groundwork of the characters lives only to later find out more. But then when the backstory episodes started to happen people started comparing FF to Lost but FF had a great ensemble cast of actors and characters, and like below some called them unlikeable. For starters people thought that Benford wasn't a good main charcacter/hero cuz of his brooding whining like below, so I say first try having been an alcoholic nearly destrroying his family and job and just when things are starting to get good you find out your wife will be with another man who you have to work with and see how happy you are! Then there's Demetri, his partner who I thought had a great friendship and worked well together. The uncertainty of Dem not having a FF leading up to one one of the best and most suspensful episodes "The Garden of Forking Paths" where we find out his fate all the while Benford' cat and mouse game with D.B Gibbons. Speaking of Lost earlier, it was great to see the Lost actors who played Penny(Olivia) and Charlie(Simon) who I think was one of the best definitely most complex character. Then of course Lloyd who like Simon was complex and the two actors worked really great together.

Anyway I won't bother you with describing the main characters as you already know but there were also a bunch of recurring characters who deserve praise. First the guy who played D.B Gibbons, he was perfectly menacing especially in the episode Garden i mentioned earlier. And even the villains are more then what they seem on this show. Ok though my personal opinion who played the best recurring character is James Callis as Gabrial, an autistic savant who turns out to be really important in the main investigation, and he also helps Olivia figure out that her place in it is not as uninportant as she thinks. As I said every major or minor character are a piece of the puzzle, the plot was very well concieved and it should have gone on. Lost is one of the best tv shows ever made, it brought back the complex serialized type show and managed to make people finally start to lose interest in reality shows, there are still alot of them but not as much. Unfortunately it seems that any other serialized shows like Lost that have come out since it ended people are still comparing and crying ripoff or other nonsense. I mean look at The Event

More +
It's fair to say that the concept was for intelligent people, which is what got them to tune in to the first few episodes, but I would say it got canceled because it failed those intelligent people.

Then again, had it pleased those intelligent people too well, it likely would've failed because it wouldn't please too many others. It's a delicate balance.
Nnnoo. The show was for people who tolerated bad writing and fairly douchey-whiny behavior to find out how everyone who pieced together their futures were still going to do them anyway. And at least for one character, they didn't.
Definately the Whedon's shows. I honestly don't get why all his shows get cancelled...sry... axed. For me these were one of the best ever made.
"Two of a Kind" (Olsen twins sitcom; 1998-1999 season)

"Better with You" (2010-2011 season)

"8 Simple Rules" (3 seasons)

"Hope & Faith" (3 seasons)

Better Off Ted

HEROES

i do miss them both
I agree with Camulus13 about Caprica and Stargate Universe. Caprica was slowly being built up and when things really started to get interesting it was cancelled... Made no sense. if they went with 1 more season and really upped the action it would have been a great, instead they cancel and started creating another Battlestar Galactica show which will probably get cancelled too. Stargate Universe was a ton better then Atlantis yet had a much shorter life. There are so many others I have invested time into that could have been improved and survived but instead they just end it and this trend will continue.
JERICHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terriers

Veronica Mars

EVERWOOD

Human Target

Memphis Beat

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Kyle XY

Jake 2.0
Caprica and Stargate Universe for sure. As well as the short lived Galidor.
Terriers
Let me break out my scroll... :)

Kings

Firefly

The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Legend of the Seeker

Camelot

Roar

The Pretender

Unnatural History

Bonekickers

Veronica Mars

Robin Hood

Relic Hunter

Highlander
Kings! I forgot about that one. It started to lose me when David started lying, but I would've loved a few more years.
Freaks & Geeks