Ratings: Grey's and CSI, the eternal dance

While all the white-haired viewers gasp in their rocking chairs at the CBS adventures of Gil Grissom and his CSI friends, the cool new hotties of Grace Whatever make love and heal hearts on ABC's Grey's Anatomy.

And viewers are taking notice.

Grey's Anatomy scored a 10.7 rating in adults 18-49, with 25.6 million viewers overall, outdistancing CBS' also solid CSI, in with a 7.2 and 22.5 million viewers. The third season medical drama has been overtaking the aging crime drama for most of the season.

Over at NBC, the wonderfulness that we humans call Alec Baldwin helped 30 Rock earn its meager weekly take of a 2.4 rating and 5.0 million viewers overall. Idea: Alec Baldwin as a wacky detective who dons various costumes, Rockford Files crossed with Fletch.

At 8 p.m., CBS took a 5.6 for the new Survivor. ABC earned a 4.5 for that crazy fashion nutso Ugly Betty, and NBC scored 4.2 average for My Name is Earl and The Office. Fox took a combined 2.3 for Til Death and The War at Home, and CW earned a 2.0 for Smallville.

At 9 p.m., ABC snared a sweet little 10.7 for Grey’s Anatomy, with CBS gunning a 7.2 for CSI. NBC came in with a combined 2.7 for Scrubs and 30 Rock. Fox took a 1.6 for the second-to-last episode of The O.C. CW scored a 1.4 for Supernatural.

At 10 p.m., NBC led with a 4.6 for ER. CBS Shark bit off a James Woods-sized 4.3. ABC stormed a 4.1 for Men In Trees.

Overall, ABC took a 6.4 rating/16 share, with 16.8 million total average viewers; CBS, 5.7/14, 18.0 million; NBC, 3.9/10, 8.7 million; Fox, 1.9/5, 4.4 million; CW, 1.7/4, 4.1 million.

I think Grey's is really better. More viewers will possibly watch it over other shows.

It is just addictive. Seriously.
I watch both series here in South America but I hope Burke's absence won't hurt grey's anatomy I think It really sucks that they fired him, I mean how many more times does he have to apologize? Tr is behaving like a baby by not wanting to work with him "GROW UP ALREADY"
I watched CSI for Grissom. It was never the same in season 7 where Grissom was not appearing in all episodes. I just started watching Grey Anatomy and enjoyed the drama season 1 and 2 but now after watching Season 3 I find that its slowly loosing appeal.

I hope CSI Grissom will be more appearance in Season 8 and hope the news that he is going to take leave and not going to be appearing for whole season is not true.
hatte both shows gray's and CSI so typical. I work for a tv company and we never seen a show like supernatural. great
I don't even know what other shows are on when I watch Grey's Anatomy, That is the show so whatever the competition is better move to a new time slot.
This article is pointless. Everyone has a favorite, and they'll defend it till death. Besides, CSI is the best show on television. Grey's is an okay show, dont get me wrong. But there SO much drama in it. It's like mcdonalds or burger king. Its delicious, but loaded with fat/ drama, and at the end of the day it gives you heartburn. CBS has done a great job this season, blending science with witty humor and great acting. Plus, the gsr relationship has been kept under control, with just a tantalizing bit romance with each episode, and it keeps you on the edge of your, just waiting for the next hour of great acting. I know all good things must come to an end, but I hope CSI enjoys many more great seasons.
OK, My thoughts

1) I love Grey's and CSI equally.

2) Please! Try and refrain from attacking the other show, guys! If you like CSI better then Grey's or vice versa, thats fine to say but don't insult it, you'll just p*ss a lot of people off. Save it for blogs and reviews.

3) I find the article bias against CSI. Do I look old, white haired, or in a rocking chair to you? No. Good.
duplicate post, sorry.
I like CSI a lot. It has great storylines and keeps me interested. Not a fan of Greys Anatomy. I am personally sick of medical dramas (ER is getting old too) I enjoy shows that keep my interest piqued and guessing - a crime-drama with a bit of romantic interludes are what interest me. To each his/her own. Those who like Greys Anatomy - good for you, but I prefer CSI anyday.
I'm a huge fan of both shows. I've watched CSI from the beginning, and only started watching Grey's a few weeks ago. The two shows are very different from each other, and I can see why the article's writer is comparing the two audiences so distinctly. (By the way, I'm very surprised that some of you were taking Colin Mahan's comments about CSI's viewers as "white-haired...in their rocking chairs" seriously!)

The story lines from CSI are always fresh, so I don't know what veinsofglass is talking about when he/she says that the show is getting "old" and "can't keep up with other 'newer' ones." CSI's ratings themselves should tell anyone that show (now in its 7th season) is still rated in the top 5. And Grissom's absence from the show for a few weeks? Who cares!? This is not a character-driven show to begin with! Liev Schreiber is an incredible actor who brought a unique presence to the show.

As for Grey's Anatomy? A great ensemble cast. The story lines can get a bit tiresome, especially the on again/off again relationship between Grey and Shepard. However, the medical story lines make the show worth watching in my opinion.

Two good shows, both well deserving of their respective accolades. I'll keep watching both Grey's Anatomy and CSI until the end.
Hmm, I just clicked on the article link, expecting something…more. While designed to get us all responding, the bias of the article seems a bit juvenile, from my perspective. And where does our journalist, Colin, get his demographics?

I'm a serious fan of both shows. Yes, Grey's is a soap opera: it's an intelligently and expertly written, well-acted, character-driven show; I love it, along with 25 million others who tuned in. CSI, which, by the way is getting phenonmenal ratings, even though they're lower than Grey's, is intelligent, dynamic, well-acted and well-written and completely different type of show. I love it, along with 22 million others who tuned in.

For those of us who love diversity and variety, who are able to handle television that panders to different parts of the personality, we are damned glad to have a choice out there; and because of DVRs, VCRs and online viewing, we are glad we don't have to forsake either of the shows.

I'd be very displeased with a night of programming that appealed to only one demographic or represented only a single genre. Dang! we're all out here and we all want something good to watch: comedy, drama, soap opera, scifi, whatever floats our boats.

And none of us want or deserve to be insulted because of our choices/tastes.
You know, I like both shows, but to me I would rather watch CSI. Really what angers me, is that the writer of this artical and the Grey's Anatomy fans are supporting their show like it's better then any other show. I'm a 16 year old high school student, I don't believe that makes me old at all. And ldskjgh, no dis-respect, but WTF is up with you? we don't care about you if you watch CSI? I just think that while both shows are great, why do these GA fans have to be so negitive towards us CSI fans?
Still Grey's Anatomy roack's..even in Roumania where the TVR1 give's us now the 7'th episode from season 1 :))...so...i've seen until today all about Grey...i'm addicted...but still CSI is no match for Grey.Hope to see more seasons.
I live in Canada so I get to watch Grey's at 8 and Supernatural at 9. I just tape CSI and watch it later if it sounds like a good one. CSI is getting old... as much as I like the show, they just can't keep up with other "newer" ones
I LOVE Grey's!

whoever doesnt like greys anatomy needs to get over themselves. whenever the next few people comment this if you agree please place a big :) somewhere in ur message. and if u disagree we dont care about you. kthanks. bye
hi, i'm from Belgium and i like to watch csi.
enjoy your day.
greets
I can't BELIEVE that CSI is getting less ratings! It's such a good show! All Grey's is a soap opera disguised as a medical show. And Supernatural is on at the same time, so no one is watching Supernatural!
dont like greys good for CSI though
If the target Nielsen audience, adults 18-49, have white hair & rocking chairs then it's because they dyed it that color and have a hard time sitting still.

Why deliberately insult some of tv.com's most loyal and avid users and seniors with such bigoted remarks? According to ratings, both shows are good, and enjoy the same fanbase.
This doesn't have to be a "ratings dance." Grey's Anatomy, although vastly overrated, is twice the show CSI is, has ever been, or will ever be. Why do so many people watch CSI? I see no real value in watching that program.
Will you please sack this Colin Mahan idiot or at least teach him to be an objective journalist and save his witless snipes for the review section
greys is bad....
cmon the office usually gets a 4.7 rating, survivor sux its the same thing over and over every year..... thats yy i stopped watching it last year
I don't watch either show. I dont understand what all the fuss is about.
I'm not a fan of CSI at all, but for the two seasons I watched it, I was more impressed with it then I am with Grey's Anatomy. One episode was all it took for me to not like it. Don't think anyone can try and convince me otherwise.. Least favorite show on TV right now. It's funny how shows like The Shield go unappreciated at the Emmy's, but Grey's Anatomy can garner a Best Drama win.. ridiculous
CSI's a better show than Grey's. I don't like its plot and characters
Alex, Sorry if it appeared that I was attacking you. I agree that some of the articles on TV.com are very bias and it annoys me as well. There was one recently about Bones being picked up for a 3rd season and the article implied that Bones was a boring show. As for CSI deserving more honor, it gets quite a lot actually. It has had quite a lot in its now 7 year run. There's no denying that CSI is a fantastic show. I don't appreciate how a lot of people, not just you, attack shows becuase they hate the writing or they think its not good. Well obviously people like the writing and think its good enough becuase they watch the show more than CSI or the OC. All of the CSI's are great. Grey's is a great show and to attack it isn't a very big thing to do. Like I said, you may not like it, but others do and you shouldn't attack it becuase your show isn't doing as well in the ratings. CSI will get an 8th season. I'm 100% positive of that. Grey's will get a 4th. I'm 100% positive of that as well.
after THE OC i'll go with SUPERNATURAL!!! i hate grey's and csi.
CSI... after 7 seasons they still manage to make the show as fresh as it was when it first came... i love this new season, every episode has a new feel and touch to it... and Greys??... so much drama in such a small group... really???... really???
Grey's overtaking CSI only because Grissom is missing from the show and hasn't been having a major presence even when he was on.
I'm glad Grey's Anatomy is my favorite SHOW EVER!!!!! I am there biggest fan!!!!!!
Excuse me! I am a fan of CSI and I'm ceratinly not white haired! I'm hot, young and blonde, thank you very much
greys number 1
That episode was breath taking.
I don't see the big deal with Grey's. I'd go for CSI any day.
the article sucks! I watches every eposide of CSI and NCIS, and I bloody love it!
greys totally deserves it!!
Oh no, Shark is catching up to ER.
CBS' CSI may never recover from The stupid move of talking Grissom off the show those few weeks and replacing him with an actor that has no audience appeal.
I will miss THE OC so much!!!
nothing can beat csi
greys desverse the viewers and not an old man trying to solve crime
PH03N1XFlames : I dont take it personal at all - I have watched EVERY episode of Greys and EVERY episode (except pilot for NY)and I am treating them each equally, it just pisses me off that the way that this article is written. It's awfully negative to CSI, which I personally(yes I said it) deserves alot more honor and credit than the articlewriter. It's like the article asks to gets judged, not based on facts and number but on numerous opinions by the writer.

- Alex
I think that Grey's is good. But CSI is just better. The plot line for Greys consists mainly of someone "shagging" - then breaking up, then complaining to someone else - who is "shagging" someone else, yada yada yada. CSI - takes strange yet sometimes realistic cases to push the team to find the truth. Now I can't say that it's all that happens - Catherine does take advantage of supposed sexuality, and slowly - we're going to see more of the others lives ( GSR, Greg's civil suit.) I hope to see more and more really soon. My vote is for CSI.
Alex, have you actually ever watched an Episode of CSI??? The acting in that show is, to say the least, GOD AWFUL, and the writing even worse! I'm not saying Grey's has the best of either world, but compared to what you get with CSI, Grey's hits home runs on a weekly basis! Oh, and maybe if CSI could come up with a new angle/idea for their show instead of using the same damn storyline with different bad guy's every week, the show would get a little better, although I wouldn't hold my breath!!!
Grey's Anatomy sucks! It's all about who's doing who and who wants to do who. If I want to watch a show like that and actually DOES medical procedures...I watch ER. It's much better.
ALEX, your taking this way to personally. People are going to like what they like. I despised Grey's Anatomy and then I stopped being so judgemental and watched the "Code Black" episodes. It has been my favorite show since. Stop being judgemental just becuase YOUR favorite show isn't everyone else's. Its awfully childish.
Grey's is great but I still don't see the attraction for CSI. Part One of the latest Grey's stiryline was kind of lame but Part 2 was much much better. I love all the actors although this year I don't like what they've done with Izzy and George. Here were 2 great characers who have become whiny and annoying. George has been a jerk all season and Izzy has been emotionally irritating. Anyway, I still love the show.
I watched the 1st season dvd when it come out. My 2 adult daughters & I both love this show. All of us work in the same hospital. My daughters work in ER. They can really relate to the show & they explain a lot of stuff that I don't know. This past Thursday, had me holding my breath & crying. After I saw the previews of next week my comment to them were "If they kill Meredith I will stop watching this show". As a matter of fact if they take any one off that ruins the show. Even Preston Burke. I love him & his character. I don't agree with what he said about his fellow cast member. Hey, you all can work it out. Now lets all get back to work & keep doing a good job like you always do.
Load More Comments