Ratings: Lost leaks, 30 Rock limps

This fall, things are tough all over.

Ex-Saturday Night Live head writer Tina Fey's much-hyped NBC sitcom 30 Rock premiered to disappointing numbers last night, coming in third in its time period, according to Nielsen overnights. The show drew a 2.9 rating in the 18-49 demo with 8.3 million viewers--which NBC helpfully pointed out is 32 percent better than Pentagon drama E-Ring did in the same spot last year.

At 8:30 p.m., the Twenty Good Years series premiere retained 86 percent of its 30 Rock lead-in.

ABC's island mystery Lost snagged 16.69 million viewers, good enough to win its 9 p.m. time period but down from the 18.5 million who tuned into last week's premiere (which was already down 25 percent from the season-two premiere). Even worse (for ABC) is the fact that CBS's Criminal Minds almost matched the show in viewers, with 16.49 million.

Post-Lost show The Nine also sank, losing 50 percent of it's lead-in ratings.

At 8 p.m., ABC and its Dancing Stars scored a 4.6 rating, CBS and Jericho snagged a 3.2, 30 Rock scored a 2.9 at 8 p.m., and Twenty Good Years earned a 2.5 at 8:30 p.m. for a combined 2.7, helping the net to a tie with the The CW's America's Next Top Model. Fox's American League Championship Series earned a 2.4.

At 9 p.m., ABC's Lost found a 6.7, followed by CBS's Criminal Minds at 4.4. NBC and Biggest Loser gobbled up a 3.0, Fox scored a 2.7 with baseball, and the CW earned a 1.5 for One Tree Hill.

In the 10 p.m. slot CBS's CSI: NY booked a 5.9, ABC's The Nine grabbed a 3.2, NBC's Dateline uncovered a 2.9, and Fox's ALCS hit a 2.8.

Overall, ABC led with a 4.8 rating/13 share among 18-49s, followed by CBS at 4.5/12, NBC at 2.9/8, Fox at 2.6/7, and the CW at 2.1/6.

Ratings for Fox are an estimation due to baseball running late and the fact that Nielsen tabulates based on time slot, not program.

Lost definately needs to get to answering some questions. I'm getting bored waiting! (and I LOVE LOST but move it along PLEASE???)
The Nine needs to get a full season pick up. Please!!!!!!!!!!!!
My biggest complaint with Lost is how they have totally changed Kate's character from season 1 to now. Instead of the the strong and complex character she started out as, the writers have turned her into a stereotypical damsel-in-distress who is about as likeable as one of those vapid and one-dimensional girls from Grey's Anatomy (why do people keep praising this soap-opea-esque show?). Most telling of this transformation is the scene where Sawyer manages to wrestle a gun away from one of the Others only to give-up because Kate just stands there and let's herself get captured by the others. One other thing, when Sawyer gets the gun, the girl who is holding Kate hostage is totally away from the scene of action but somehow gets behind Sawyer and captures Kate; that is total B.S. in my book!
Go CW!!!
People, LOST has answered so many questions already. You guys forget that it is the BEGINNING of the season, and new questions are always presented. They will start to slowly answer them as time goes on. You have to give them time. I see LOST getting more and more intresting. Perhaps you have to stop EXPECTING questions to be answered and just enjoy the story, and that way, when the questions are answered, you can enjoy it more. The greatest cause of disappointment is expectation, so do what I do, dont expect anything to be answered and just enjoy the story for the episode.
Lost needs to speed up. the story is going no way.
I love Lost and Criminal Minds, they're both good. The Nine is good, but I'm not sure how long it's going to last though, it does look intriguing. I guess I'll have to record Lost and watch it later. lol. I'm not surprised though 30 rock, and 20 good years didn't do good. No, surprise there. NBC is trying to hard for the ratings, I hate to say it but NBC is desperate.
Lost needs to find Jesus and start answering some questions.
you can never judge a show by it's pilot.
I think the story line on Lost is OK, but the commercials are just killing the show. ABC is getting too greedy, and will just end up with everyone turned off to the series.
The Nine was stupid, give 3rd Rock a chance it looks good, I am so upset they cancelled SMITH it was great, why didn't they give it a chance. They are giving the horrible Kidnapped a second chance, please reconsider SMITH so clever.
I am sorry 30 Rock stinks !!!!
I feel bad for Lost, because of all these morons who base their opinions on the premier, and if it wasn't good, they decided not to follow on with the show. Well, the premier was awesome, and glass balerina was even better. So to all you ppl who stopped watching it after the premier, you guys are missing out
i think if me and my friends are anything to go by - the 2nd series of lost got a bit stale.....got sick of nothing happening every episode - the first ep of series 3 was spot on, i thought the 2nd was ok - hopefully its not gonna get the same as series 2 or i know a few people, myself included who wont see this series out to the end - still cant understand why smith never took off, i thought this was a good show with a nice production value and descent storyline/acting.....
I dont get why people are loosing faith in lost. I love the show and love the way season 3 has begun. Lost is and will always be my favorite show.
JESUS!!!
the networks are losing it!!!
We just saw the first ep of 30 Rock...give it time!
Now LOST its a diferent thing...I love the show, but the writers.....well....they just LOST IT!!!
I really liked 30 Rock and 20 Good Years, I hope they will get a chance to at least get some episodes out so people can get a better idea of what the shows are all about.
Lost is awesome. 30rock and 20bad years sucked.
30 Rock and 20 Good Years were very funny. I still think lost is a bad show
I think the last two eps of Lost were the worst ever. Both episodes focused on just three people, first Jack, Kate and Sawyer, then Jin, Sun and Sayid. I don't think they were equipped to carry a 50 minute show just the three of them. If this doesn't pick up soon we'll never find out what happened to the rest of the giant statue, something I'm not sure is ever coming back anyway. Or how the mystery ship ended up in the middle of jungle, and of course the most important question: What was that polar bear doing out there? ;)
Since Lost is still in the Top 5 (The others being Grey's Anatomy, CSI, Desperate Housewives, and Dancing with the Stars), I don't think it's going away anytime soon. Personally, I hope it will be awhile (maybe two more seasons) before all the questions are answered. Loved last nights' episode with flashbacks to Sun and Jin!
I agree with jekyll. Lost needs to start answering the questions or else they won't get the chance to before its cancelled. Or maybe the show is named after how they want the viewers to feel when it's complete. Now that's some clever foreshadow!
Lost has been very good, but they need to start answering questions... now. They bumped up the placement of the orientation video last year because of viewers wanting answers, and now they're making the same mistakes, asking questions and giving little answers. It's a shame, but they're going to kill the show if they keep this up.
They already cancelled Smith, which I was actually enjoying. Hopefully The Nine won't join the ranks of the recently deceased. It's certainly one of the best new shows out there. It also seems to be the type of show that needs at least 13-24 episodes to tell a full story. That being said, I'm not sure how they plan to extend it beyond Season One, should that possibility occur.
I watched 30 Rock twice and thought it was pretty funny. Alec Baldwin & Tracy Morgan had some great lines. It's not the best show but it'll probably get better.

Lost is still good but they could start wrapping up some storylines and moving on to new ones. Don't want to see it suffer like Twin Peaks did - that show dragged out too many mysteries for too long and lost my interest really quickly. X-Files got tiresome after a while too by dragging the same mysteries on & on.
hey LincolnBurrows - Ugly Betty is cleaning up on Thursdays 8pm. Smallville and Earl/The Office aren't even coming close.

Ugly Betty 9.2/14 in the overnights (#2), 15.79 million viewers (#1) and a 5.6/16 among adults 18-49 (#1).

My Name is Earl (Overnights: #3, 6.2/10; Viewers: #3, 9.91 million; A18-49: #2, 4.0/12)
The Office (Overnights: #3, 5.5/ 8; Viewers: #3, 8.77 million; A18-49: #3, 4.1/11)

Smallville (Overnights: 3.6/ 6; Viewers: #5, 4.60 million; A18-49: #4, 2.0/ 6)
I won't be surprised if even more viewers turn off LOST, sorry folks but the storylines are all stories from previous seasons that should have been cleared up then not 2 years later. Dragging on and on will be the downfall.
Don't understand why The Nine isn't doing better. It's an awesome show!!!
these ratings are 18-49, zap2it are not
These ratings are inaccurate... y'all should check Zap2it.com for the actual ratings... Lost actually finished out very strong...

here's the actual link:

What are people thinking? Those 2 eps of Lost were awesome!
I recorded 30 Rock and I haven't had the chance to watch it. I hope it isn't as bad as everyone says. Lost was awesome. Especially since we learned that the others have contact to the outside world. 20 Good Years looks stupid but I recorded that as well. But we all know that One Tree Hill is #1 with Lost in the #2 spot. OTH is the best show on TV. At least, I think so. Thank god for TiVo. I wouldn't survive!
It's kind of sad in a way. ABC loses on Thursdays with Ugly Betty because Smallville and Earl/The Office beat it out. Now, 30 Rock will lose to Dancing and Jericho. You'd think that NBC would at least hope to be able to go over the newer show (Jericho), but for those like me already into it, it's a no-brainer to really say "Should I keep watching this or change to something else?" Though I don't watch Dancing With The Stars (Jimmy Kimmel tells me more than I need to know), so I DVR'ed 30 Rock/20 Good Years and Jericho.

I think the biggest problem television is having right now is that everything is sort of getting clumped into the same time slots. There are certain days/times of the week where shows can be put into prime time and probably succeed. Ugly Betty (which isn't doing too badly) would probably benefit from a move. It looks like maybe 30 Rock too. Maybe people just need to develop a way to watch more than two shows at once (or DVR/TiVO them, if you will) without having to buy multiple boxes.
you have to be joking james... 30 rock awful, but 20 good years, good?

I feel bad for lost, but I'm sure the higher ups are aware that more and more people are feeling this is a show to watch all at once, aka on dvd. In the day where last nights episodes are on the internet, the whole series is on itunes, and dvr helps you skip the commercials, how are we to gauge any television show's success? Personally, I think the whole thing has become quite muddled, and with the almost instant re-gratification available online, etc. I can't imagine how a true measure of success can be gained. I mean kidnapped would have picked up viewers over time, as 24 did (note the similar formats)-- and now its basically the most guaranteed hit show on tv.

I just pray that we decide to adopt a new system of recording viewership, because both the shows, and the multitude of mediums, now dictate we rethink the situation.
I feel bad for lost, but that's what happens when you have a crappy premier. I may be a little bitter, but I'm glad the Nine isn't doing well...ABC you should have never cancelled Invasion!
Too bad the ratings dropped, because last nights episode of Lost was 10x better than last weeks, and last week's was awesome.
30 Rock was awful. 20 Good Years was good, though.

Lost still reigns supreme of course.