Ratings: Lost slips, Minds nips

Criminal Minds took a bite out of Lost last night, eclipsing the island mystery by 600,000 total viewers--16.1 million for Lost to 16.7 million for Minds. Lost still won in the important 18 to 49 demo, with a 6.6 to Minds' 4.9.

NBC's Tina Fey sitcom 30 Rock sunk further, earning a 1.8 and 4.8 million viewers, coming in last place in its time slot. The show is moving to Thursday nights in three weeks, as NBC tries to recall the glory of its "must see TV" Thursday comedy lineup.

At 8 p.m., ABC and Dancing With the Stars scored a 4.9. Jericho snared CBS a 3.1, and Fox's Bones netted a 2.7. Over at CW America's Next Top Model scored a 2.1, and NBC earned a combined 1.6 for 30 Rock and Twenty Good Years (which leaves the schedule next week, maybe for good).

At 9 p.m., Lost earned its 6.6 and Minds its 4.9 (up from last week's 4.5). NBC's The Biggest Loser weighed in at a 3.3, Fox's Rich List flopped with a 1.5, and CW's One Tree Hill earned a 1.2.

At 10 p.m., CSI: NY arrested a 5.3 for CBS, Dateline reported a 2.7 for NBC, and The Nine slid to its season nadir of 2.6 on ABC.

Overall, ABC led with a 4.7 rating and 13 share in 18 to 49s, with 14 million viewers; CBS at 4.4/12, 14.4 million; NBC at 2.6/7, 6.5 million; Fox at 2.1/5, 5.7 million; and the CW at 1.6/4, 3.5 million.

Lost "lost" my respect a long time ago. Criminal Minds is by far one of the best shows on television. The majority of the cast is phenomenal and the cases the BAU takes on are about the criminal, not the crime, which makes it different from the rest of the shows of its type.

I do have an official fan site for Matthew Gray Gubler, who plays Dr. Reid on this show.

www.matthewgraygublerfans.com
I could never get into Lost, but I just love Criminal Minds.
Lost is my favorite show on TV. I like the plot complexity and the character development. It is the journey, not the final destination, that is important in life. Same goes for books, movies and TV. I don't expect all the answers in the first chapter of Dicken's "A Tale of Two cities" or King's "The Dark Tower" series. In TV I like my drama shows to have some substance to them, not some formula outline that is followed every week. If I want a show to catch on the fly then I will watch a comedy which usually can stand on their own.

I have never watched Criminal Minds so I can't really comment on it. If it is enjoyable then great - but that doesn't make Lost any less the best show on TV.
Criminal Minds is a great show and as others have said has a great cast. More people should watch it.
The excuse that people download LOST and watch it on DVD is a lame one. Advertisers aren't going to care about that because their commercials don't go into it. So that means ABC gets less money for LOST. Therefore LOST is less profitable. Also people if you record a show and watch it a week later don't expect it to count. Advertisers don't care about you watching a show when it's conveniet for you, especially since you will likely skip commericials. If you really want a show to stay on the air watch it when it is on. That is the only way to secure the show.
lol criminal minds cant be the best written show, since its not serialized, thus, its' writing is pretty simple.

Lost, I love Lost, season 3is amazing, and whoever is complaining about questions but no answers... lol..this show is about this, its called mystery.

Anyway, I dontcare if Criminal Minds wins overall viewership, Lost still beats CM by a mile when it comes to 18-49 and thats way more important than overall
corko21 you are absolutely 100% correct. Lost is by far and away the best written and produced television show in TV history. It's a different type of show that requires viewers to invest time and energy into it's mysteries and storylines. Those that give up or claim it doesn't give enough answers just don't get the show or do not have the mental capacity to handle an intelligent drama that requires you to think then just some mindless cookie cutter crime drama that wraps up most weeks with a cute little bow attached to the top of it.
Criminal Minds is one of the best written shows on television and has an outstanding cast. I love hearing more people are discovering this great show.
I don't care for Tina Fey because she's a flaming liberal. And paired up with Alec Baldwin, well, now they're just grooming each other.

However, I do watch the show because I don't care for anything else in that timeslot, and it has gotten better from it's god-awful pilot. The stories are more cohesive. It still needs to improve, but I don't find it as bad as some of the horrible new shows this season.
It is a "fall" finale. It will return in January, I believe.
Many people just download Lost. Ratings mean nothing. How man fan sites does criminal minds have, few is my guess. The buzz on Lost is still there, just not as much as when it was new. That is to be expected.

Doesn't surprise me that the average "stupid" American viewer doesn't get Lost. If Lost answered "all" of it's questions - you would be complaining then too. Give me a break.

Lost follows a book mentality - so it is proven Americans don't read - therefore they want that quick mind-numbing episodes of CSI/Criminal Minds/Justice/Law and Order.

What questions do those shows raise? Do they make you think?
did I see correctly!!?? Did they REALLY say SEASON FINALY next week???? Or did I imagine it?????

I'm confused!!!
I was so stunned to be reading these comments, I actually signed up for an account to add my two cents. To compare a show like Lost to a show like Criminal Minds is like comparing a classic like "To Kill a Mocking Bird" or "A Separate Peace" to some book from Oprah's book club. Criminal Minds is a rip-off of 3 shows that should already be in the can, all CSI's. It's a cookie-cutter, pathetic excuse for a show, that viewers watch only because solving their simple mysteries ahead of time makes them feel intelligent. Meanwhile, everyone hops on the bandwagon of trying to tear down one of the most original shows to ever be on TV. It should also be noted that any show whose main characters are Inyago Montoya form Princess Bride, and Greg from "The worst show ever made", should be axed for being conceited enough to try and portray those two punks as cops.
I use to love Lost, not anymore. Insteed of giving us answers they are making more questions! I can't take it anymore.
LOST started losing it last season when hatch after hatch began popping up. The key to the show was the unanswered questions. By answering some of them, and creating dozens of others, they unfortunately disappointed a lot of people who had their own ideas about what was going on.

Now, there's decreased interest in finding out how they will survive because they've got all the supplies they need, all the food they could want and the means to defend themselves from "The Others."

And that's another major problem with the show. The cast was already quite large in S1 and has more than doubled in S2 and S3.

The initial novelty and charm of the show has worn off and the flashbacks are becoming more annoying. It's no wonder that the ratings are beginning to slip.
How can anyone call Lost original? Too many stupid cheesy premises on Lost for my liking. Gilligans Island meets Big Brother.......whoopee. Criminal Minds may not be original either, but at least its interesting, and the story actually goes somewhere. But then again, the top spots in TV the last few years have been filled with 'voyeurism tv,' so we know the collective brain pans of the average viewer are pretty small.
Lost is a whole lot better than that trash "Heroes"
People fail to realize that ratings are really not an accurate depiction of a shows popularity. The main problem with shows like Lost is that its not a pick up and watch show so many people who have missed previous episodes or seasons opt to wait until they can catch up before seeing it on TV. That is the main reason why it is downloaded so much because once you see the newest episode, all previous ones are then rendered pointless to watch since most of the shows entertainment lies in the mystery.
J.J. Abrams has great ideas but his follow up fall short. He did it with Alias, and now with Lost, ditto for Six Degrees, he just doesn't live up to the hype, no follow thru. Lost has been disappointing, it used to be the show to talk about now it's just like the next flavor of ice cream, it's jumped the shark.
Don't read too deeply into TV ratings for a show like Lost. What people seem to be forgetting is how Lost episodes are the most downloaded TV shows on iTunes as well as one of the best-selling DVD sets. These alternate forms of accessibility are bound to take viewers away from the Wednesday 9:00 pm time slot because people realize they can get the episodes on iTunes, online after the show, or on DVD where they can watch the episodes consecutively. Meanwhile, Criminal Minds can only be watched during that time slot. For an accurate assessment of the amount of Lost viewers, add the number of iTunes downloads and DVD sales to the number of TV viewers. This also goes for shows like Heroes, The Office, and even the top-rated Grey's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives that are among the top iTunes downloads. Although Lost may be losing some viewers, I think this is greatly exaggerated due to the aforementioned reasons. Lost fans have nothing to worry about.
I used to be so into LOST in its first season, the writing was pretty good, the acting was excellent. Then came the second season, new characters were introduced which took a backseat to the others, most episodes were filter. The love triangle between Kate, Sawyer and Jack was getting annoying. Locke was reduced to a loser that can't read people. I think the writers/producers noticed and were trying to fix the problem, let's just say the second season was okay. I find myself now in the third season with very little excitement about the show as before. They still have time to turn it around, but will viewers comeback or well it be too late.
I'm not surprised. With how slow the end of last season was (seems the writers are just dragging their feet) I would not be surprised if Lost looses more viewer ship to CM. Although I'm positive that most of those people taped Lost, but taping doesn't cut it in the ratings.

A few more people could jump ship after the last episode, however.
Lost has improved this season. I kind of lost interest the 2nd season but only cause they shown more of the new characters.. but this season they are getting back to the others so thats good.. :) im not giving up on it! but it does suck that just when i really get back into LOST its going off :(
the elements of LOST are loosing thier charm and quite fast this season. I completely agree with an earlier comment made, "WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!! The answers are not coming." And with only a few more week to go before LOST get's LOST from the line up to make room for DAY BREAK (don't get me started)ABC and creators of LOST will come back February 7th 2007 with it's lack luster ratings this season to find the veiwers are THROUGH carring for the show.
who cares we all know some petty show like criminal minds is not going to make an impact on the general public the same way lost did full stop end of story people.
All of u who r rooting for LOST will be cursing the same LOST whenever it ends. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!! The answers are not coming.
The reason why Criminal Minds is doing well is because it is different from other crime dramas as it takes you into the actual story of the criminals. I never watched it but simply spending 1 minute to read a review of it will tell you that much. LOST is loosing viewers for several reasons. Firstly, mysteries should exist to get answered not to extend into other mysteries, there is a difference between the words interesting and qualiity. Secondly, LOST us is not as family friendly as it use to be. And finally for the entire months of August and September they aired no LOST repeats. Anyway, LOST is still kicking but in the 18-49 demo so I don't know what the fuss is about.
I will stay LOSTED with LOST !!!!!!!!!
You'd think people would be sick of the same crime dramas CBS brings. Come to think of it, I religiously watch about 15 shows, and not one is on CBS.

LOST continues to be great.
I continue to be interested in what's coming on ``Lost,'' and mourn that the show will disappear after two weeks in favor of what looks to be a very dull ``Day Break''. Just don't get the feeling that the show will pan out. Won't watch ``Criminal Minds,'' as I'm just sick and tired of CBS's constant milk of the crime drama formula. CSI this, and CSI that. The only CBS show that I'll watch is ``Jericho,'' which for me is a great lead-in to Lost. Hopefully, we see two more great ``Lost'' episodes in the coming couple of weeks. Don't know how I'll manage to last until February without more, though.
lost is getting unbelievably retarded.....im starting to really hate it
I am a lost fan. Got caught into the movement between season 1 and 2. The show may have "lost" some of its followers, but the true fans could never leave until the mysteries of the island are revealed no matter how outragious the outcome may be. We are dealing with the writer/director of the film "pi". The way he models films is an art, it has to be appreciated. I take those who have strayed away to other series arent able to realize the genius that is behind this great series. I hope lost last another 4 seasons.
I watched "The Rich List" both Criminal Minds & Lost are way overated.
I hate criminal minds...its is a really bad show. Terrible acting too. I vote that everyone should be forced to watch Lost. IT ROCKS!!!
Criminal Minds sounds like a good show, even tho I am a Lost freak. I just need to find a way to watch 'em both.
Lost and Criminal Minds are my two absolute favorite shows. I tape Criminal Minds and watch Lost though because at the end of each ep of CM the problem's resolved, so I'm not on the edge of my seat (I adore it though just look at my sn) while each ep of Lost still leaves me dying for more. Sure it's not as perfectly awesome as it used to be, but to be honest, I'm utterly amazed at the fact at how good it still is. I continue to be impressed by the stuff they come up with. CM is definitely not a typical crime drama. I still remember the first time I watched it; it was breathtaking. It was the same way with Lost though, and it still is that way for me when it comes to each of them. It seems to me that people whine a lot about everything cocerning both of them though. I don't like absolutely every detail about them absolutely all the time, but they still never fail to impress me. I'd recommend both wholeheartedly, and wouldn't hesitate for a second if asked to name the two best shows on television.
LOST should be NUMBER 1 again! Lost is the best TV show ever! it's original, intelligent, they're geniuses!! and it has the best cast ever! This season is great! but the problem is that people are so stupid, debrained and mind-empty, that they can't think a little bit so they prefer to watch stupid soap operas and reality shows. LOST NUMBER ONE! BEST SHOW EVER! WATCH!
stupid people are getting what they desreve stuipd tv like CSI, crimnal minds, etc. watch some desent shows like lost or greys anatomy people
I watched the first two seasons of Lost religiously. I lost interest towards the end of last season. Accidently discovered CM on the season premiere. I don't watch ANY crime dramas, so I didn't even notice it last year. One episode totally hooked me. The best cast on tv, hands down. It moved to #1 on my tivo season pass manager. Can't wait to buy season one of DVD. Lost has sucked the big one this season. Last week I deleted it off tivo. I guess I am not alone in my opinion. Anyone that wants to categorize CM as another crime drama might want to watch it first. It is nothing like CSI, law and order, etc. I imagine ABCs' decision to shelve Lost for a few months won't help it's ratings war.
Why would people rather watch an unoriginal show about detectives (like 50% of all other shows) than an original series?
I like both Lost and Criminal Minds, but I watch Lost and TIVO Criminal Minds. The reason is simple Lost has an ongoing story arc and only rarely does Criminal Minds use this technique. I just have to find out what's new on Lost right away; I can wait to catch Criminal Minds when I have time.I do agree with LincolnBurrows, Mandy Patinkin is a great actor no matter what the part.
I really don't understand why people stopped loving Lost, I don't see anything special in Criminal Minds
They're not going to cancel Lost, so good for Mandy Patinkin. I liked that guy as Rube on Dead Like Me.
LOST IS THE BEST TV SHOW EVER!!! I DON'T UNDERSTAND, THIS SEASON IS GREAT!!! CRIMINAL MINDS IS REALLY BAD AND UNORGINAL!!! WATCH LOST!!! LOST ROCKS!!!!!
It doesn't help that they air "30 Rock" and "Studio 60" a day earlier in Canada. I can get the torrent and download the episode before it even airs in USA.
it wont get any better with Lost taking the next 2-3 months off. ABC is trying to take back last place
WOW! saw that coming