Remembering Six Feet Under 10 Years Later

Hey there! Yeah, you! Did you know that the incredible series finale of HBO's Six Feet Under aired 10 years ago? Well it did! If you're thinking, "Wow, that feels like it was just yesterday!" then you should know that you are not alone. We also can't believe it's been an entire decade since we watched the incredible flash-forward that revealed how each of the remaining main characters died.

The series finale is considered by many fans to be one of the finest endings in television history, but today, in honor of its 10th anniversary, we'd like to open up a discussion of your favorite scenes, episodes, moments, and memories from the entire HBO series, regardless of where they fall in the timeline. So hit the comments and celebrate the life (and death) of Six Feet Under the way the Fishers would want you to.

Jul 02, 2018
Just finished watching all 5 seasons for the third time and now it's been taken off nowtv. I could cry lol
Sep 22, 2015
This show , and characters , gave me a lot to of valuable ways to look at things in life , That all people have issues .. We are human , allowed , SO MUCH. incredible
Aug 23, 2015
i loved this show so much ... still comparing a lot of new show to this one :)
Aug 23, 2015
still the finest thing produced for tv
Aug 23, 2015
Nathan trying to play out in his head what his father's "secret life" was, including shooting bystanders from a window in a derelict roomm, hanging around with potheads and so on... Old man Fisher was such a quaint character and he hovered like a wise ghost above his family. I simply loved this. Nate's relationships with women were terrible though and I remember hating both Brenda and then his annoying vegan wife.
Aug 22, 2015
I remembered watching Michael C Hall doing this and then Dexter. That is when I realized how good the guy is.
Aug 22, 2015
When I first heard of this series I did not watch it because I hate funerals. However for some reason or another I decided to watch it when HBO reran the first season (Which is exactly what I did regarding another great HBO series The Sopranos.). I thought the series was excellent from the first minute I started watching it. The main reason is the show has an excellent cast and the episodes were very well written. Michael Hall and Lauren Ambrose were nothing short of excellent. "Excellent" is the perfect word to describe Six Feet Under. Like tarniamoore, I think I need to watch it again!
Aug 22, 2015
One of the best shows of all time with one of the best series finales of all time

Aug 22, 2015
I still remember the first time I saw the series ending, I was with my mouth open all the way throuw. It was incredible. It mingh be bias, it might not be, but even today when I see it again, it makes me feel hundreds of emotions. Cudos to Six Feet Under.
Aug 22, 2015
Ok I need to watch this again!😳😳
Aug 22, 2015
My favorite death on the show still makes me laugh. I loved the one where the sex dolls have been inflated with helium and escape from the truck they are in, and a woman believes it to be "The Rapture".
Yass gawd!

Aug 22, 2015
Six Feet Under was the TV show that got me into TV series. Dramatic, weird, nostalgic, cruel, romantic, soft, real, credible, visionary. One of the few shows that had constantly good writing and directing. Some of the actors/ actresses went to do good careers from that show, as Michael C. Hall in Dexter and Frances Conroy, and we got the incredible James Cromwell for the second half part of the show.
Many think LOST is the mother of modern TV shows, but in my opinion it was Six Feet Under.
Aug 22, 2015
It was kind of a chore to watch most of six feet under. The final sequence in the finale was one of the best things to come out on tv though.
Aug 22, 2015
Actually, I think all of the different ways people died were the best parts. Some of the "deaths" were just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and how much of a difference it would have made if they had made a different choice a minute either way.
Aug 22, 2015
I wonder if it had any influence on Pushing Daisies in that sense? That series loved to pull some kooky 'deaths-of-the-week' that reminded me a lot of Six Feet Under.
Sep 04, 2015
Allan Ball created both shows, so there was probably going to be some crossover ideas.
Aug 22, 2015
One of the best series on TV that I have ever seen. It was fantastically well written, acted and directed. I absolutely loved the finale and felt it was perfect. So hard to believe that this amazing show aired 10 years ago. May they continue to bring us this level of content in the future =)
Aug 22, 2015
i just watched all season late last year. finale was epic. probably the best ever.
Aug 22, 2015
Besides the series finale, I always loved the scene between Nate and Tracey when her aunt passed away. Up until that moment she'd been such a hard character to like but the talk she has with Nate really humanized her in a way I didn't expect the first time I watched it

Here's a small clip of that scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlVqvtfYhZc
Aug 21, 2015
Couldn't say specific scene but I liked how david couldn't get out of the car for Nate's funeral and then his mother told him that if he doesn't get out he'll always look back at it with deep regret.
Aug 21, 2015
Such a beautiful ending to magnificent series
Aug 21, 2015
Rachel and her brother were pretty creepy/cool, too.
Aug 21, 2015
One of the greats. I remember binge watching this three years ago. I will remember the ending forever.
Aug 22, 2015
me too. in binge watched it in Nov-Dec last year
Aug 21, 2015
Well, probably obvious, but my favorite bits were always David's conversations with the dead. Difficult not to see Dexter in those scenes now.

Aug 21, 2015
I'm going to echo the sentiment of pretty much everyone who will comment on here and say that the finale still makes me tear up. It was sheer perfection.

Other highlights for me include Nate's death in season 5. Completely out of left field. I like how there was no build up and he just dropped out of no-where.

Also, one of my favourite episodes is 'That's my dog'. As controversial as it was at the time it's the one that has stuck with me for the brutality and overall shock that I walked away with.

Can't believe it's been 10 years though.

Dang I feel old now. Thanks TV.com :(
Aug 21, 2015
This might be the greatest finale of all time. The whole episode is good, but nothing can compare to the emotion of those last 6 minutes.

It is also what saved the show from being remembered as a disappointment. The first two seasons were fucking fantastic, some of the best TV ever. The dialogue, the dark humor, those snappy dream sequences, were all great. I want to say it was a show about a normal family running a funeral home, but this family was far from normal, and that's what made it so fascinating to watch. The third season is where it began to drop, but it was still a damn good show. The fourth and fifth season was when the show became too damn depressing and too hard to watch, filled with soapy uninteresting dialogue. It's like Ball ran out of real story and just said how can I make these characters as miserable as possible. There were various points throughout the last two seasons where I hated every character, which made it even harder to get through. Nate went from the likable sympathetic protagonist to absolutely despicable, particularly in the last season. Oh and David being kidnapped and nearly killed? Sorry, Ball was trying way too hard at that point to be dark.

I will give Ball credit in that it took real talent to make me get emotional with the ending, especially when I had hated all those characters for awhile. That being said, I don't get the hard-on people have for Alan Ball. He wrote the screenplay for American Beauty, a movie that was made better because Sam Mendes directed it, made two excellent seasons of SFU (along with an excellent ending), and made two fun (not good, but fun) seasons of True Blood. Other than that, he hasn't done much worthwhile, and no he is not responsible for making Banshee the show that it is.
Aug 22, 2015
'Not good, but fun', I think that's the most accurate description of True Blood I've ever read haha. You wouldn't have thought it a couple of years ago when True Blood was at the peak of its popularity, but that seems to be a series that isn't going to be remembered very well. It's last three or four seasons were a blurry mess, coupled with the fact none of the cast members have gone onto (at least at this stage) make it big and remain relevant in popular-culture has resulted in next to no one discussing it currently. I guess Six Feet Under will remain Ball best-known and best received work after all.
Aug 21, 2015
I literally keep Six Feet Under relevant in my life, I have all the seasons and watch it once (sometimes twice) per year. I LOVED THAT show and was literally bummed that they ended the series.

My favorite episode was its last episode and the flash forward. Every time I see it and just the imagery it gives (Sia's BREATHE ME was a perfect choice of song), it makes me tear (no I'm not a wuss lol). At first my feelings of Claire outlasting it all was 'different' for me, but it couldn't have ended any better.

I hope they consider on maybe a reboot or spinoff. I know at that time, many REAL LIFE issues took place which led to the shows ending; but the time has changed and it would be refreshing to have a spinoff of Six Feet Under... Who knows!!
'literally bummed'?
Feb 26, 2016
sad that it had ended in a time where the fate of the show revolved around the sexual orientation of its creator. This show instilled a vision that 'maybe death isn't so scary after all' (even though we arent really prepared) and how lives have been impacted over the death of a loved one. So ya, I'm bummed/ Im sad
Aug 21, 2015
Find it ironic that Michael C. Hall has appeared in two shows with series finales where one is considered among the best and the other among the worst. I don't really see us looking back fondly (or even wanting to look back) when the 10 year anniversary of Dexter's series finale comes around.
Aug 22, 2015
I much prefer Dexter as a series over Six Feet Under - that's just my personal taste - and I plan to revisit Dexter one day, although I'd be lying if I said I won't dread re-watching some parts of the last couple of seasons. So much potential wasted.
Aug 21, 2015
you know, it took me about half of the Dexter (in seasons, that is) before it clicked that it's same actor.
Aug 21, 2015
Don't make me try to remember episode titles are even mostly what season something happened in (I just remember Season 4 being the DVDs with the crow on the front and it was DEPRESSING). One episode that stands out to me was, I believe in the first season, when David had to work on the kid that was gay bashed and really had to struggle with his own sexuality while he was face-to-face with that. That story, in and of itself, has become such a cliche and character trope, but the way it was handled, and portrayed, and ACTED, that was the moment I knew that I wasn't just watching a good, well acted show but that I was watching a GREAT and amazing show that would likely be listed as one of the greatest - which it is.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, the last oh- 10 minutes of the last episode is still THE greatest series finale. It was well acted, the imagery was SPOT ON, it had the perfect symmetry of what was being presented on screen with the chosen song playing, which also was the PERFECT song for the finale, and most of all it was satisfying. Six Feet Under was not one of those shows that would've worked without a finale that had... finality too it. It was pretty much perfectly tied up, understandable, relatable, and made sense to the overall feel and tone of the show. PERFECTION... if there is such a thing on a TV show.
Aug 21, 2015
Wow. Ten years. Sorry, can't remember specifics, only that it was one of the greats. And that final flash forward (6 minutes and 20 seconds, can you imagine?) was one of the greatest moments in television history.
Aug 21, 2015
This is my favorite series of all time. SO much sticks out.
I could list a bunch, but something that never fails to tear me up is when Claire has a vision of Lisa holding the baby. Lisa tells her she's happy and in a better place now, and that if Claire agrees to watch over Lisa'a baby, Lisa will watch over hers. Oh geez, now I'm getting emotional over here...
Aug 21, 2015
I liked Six Feet under but I always thought they handled the whole Nate gets a Brain Tumor thing very badly, He goes under the knife and then Boom Next season Healed and Married out of Nowhere, it almost seemed like a death dream sequence but wasn't, I don't think the show ever recovered from that. Still Awesome Finale
Aug 21, 2015
Nate didn't have a tumor - he had an AVM - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arteriovenous_malformation

It's an abnormal connection between arteries and veins and go read the article for more info :P
Aug 21, 2015
I always liked Nate even though he made horrible decisions. Until the last season. OH MY GOD he was such a TOOL. I actually felt sorry for Brenda and that takes A LOT. I thought it was such a character assassination. But, after the show ended I thought about it, and it actually kinda made sense. The reality was Nate always operated in shades of tool-ness the entire series. Nate ALWAYS made last minute, hasty decisions that were seemingly out of nowhere; and boy did he like to jump to conclusions without much knowledge of what's going on at all.