Report: Bionic Woman sent to scrapyard

Maybe she wasn't so bionic after all. After spending most of the last few months with a gray cloud hanging over its head, Bionic Woman may have finally felt the icy touch of the Grim Reaper. TVGuide.com's Michael Ausiello is reporting what many believed was only a matter of time for the sci-fi remake: The show has been cancelled by NBC.

The report cites sources as saying that the show was actually privately axed last week, but NBC has yet to confirm or deny the report. Requests for comment from the network by TV.com were not returned as of press time.

Bionic Woman had been one of the most heavily hyped new shows of the fall season, with NBC spending bundles of cash on marketing the sci-fi drama. However, after a spectacular start in the ratings (apparently pushing ads down the throats of TV watchers works...at least once), the show never really took off and viewership tailed off dramatically during subsequent episodes.

While lead character Jamie Sommers may have been a lean, well-oiled machine, production on the show most certainly was not. There were unconfirmed reports of infighting among cast members Michelle Ryan (pictured above) and Katee Sackhoff, and the producer position was practically a revolving door, with several names joining and exiting the series in mid-production.

Bionic Woman is a remake of the 1970s show of the same name. Sommers' (played by Ryan) life is changed after a major car accident. In order to save her life, her boyfriend gives her "bionic" body parts and she begins working for a secret government agency.

For more on Bionic Woman, head over to TV.com's previous coverage.

Great idea, poorly implemented. The original pilot was even better, in it her sister was deaf -- later dumbed down with a cheerleader-type character. That was the first mistake, the first of many :(
WOW! In all the efforts to bring back family television and use a re-make to do it..NBC finally lands a good show and you choose to scrap it - WHY?!! Justme931 is absoultly correct..it deserves a real chance. I watch very little television any more and all summer I have been anticipating the return of Bionic Woman and now.. this is just plane stupid on the part of NBC to dump a great family show. It was just starting to get good and the characters were finally making the parts they were playing - there own.
I liked the show and with all the interuptions because of the writer's strike I don't believe that NBC gave it a true chance with the audience. Too bad!
I quite enjoyed the show and cannot understand why they took it off, but i really cannot believe the part where Jamie runs and jumps on high heels. I didn't think the original bionic woman portrayed by Lindsay Wagner ran on high heels.
i was actually really starting to get into this show and found myself caring about the characters. I am highly disapointed that it's been axed so quickly
They shouldnt have given up on it so fast.
Hmm this is really a shock. Let's say Bionic women is not my exact favorite but the show has some good ideas and Jaime was likable. It has its ups and downs but alot of other series much more terrible than Bionic woman survive. So it's surprising they didn't give it a few more episodes to sort out the problems.
I watched this show and thought they done good with the time they had and i thought this show had some major potential i mean in the first 8 episodes it accomplished alot more than several others, and i was looking forward to more watching more but i guess that isnt the case .... which is FRUSTRATING to say the least i mean the last time i go this annoyed was when they axed Tru calling ... Bionic Woman you will be sorely missed and i hope that you pull yourself back together.
The show like SO MANY before it just wasn't given a fair chance. No show trully hits its audience the first season. Bionic Woman was up against so many hits, but had it been moved to a better timeslot, like Monday or Thursday at 8:00C, I'm sure it'd been much better. I am trully going to miss it. Maybe we need to rally round and sent them a couple hundred tons of nuts and bolts. Hey, it saved Jericho!
I really am sick of people hacking on this show. For those keeping score there were 8...count em 8 episodes for this series. How the hell can anyone form a good opinion on a series with 8 episodes, other then some half cocked opinion not based on a developing story line but if the individual episode was a good standalone epi. There are VERY, VERY few series that are developed and gold right out of the box.
This is another tragedy for people who look for a good developing story. Once again the ***hats at a major studio have been thinking with their pocket books before they look at if the series has long term merit. There should be an industry standard that a series should be given until season 2 before the decision to ax it occurs.
We've lost too many fracking series that has had huge potential due to these half***ed knee jerked reactions.
Oh well, maybe "Torchwood" can find a spot fot her.
GIVE US REAL HEROES DAMN YOU!!! It's very logical shows to fail even if in paper they have potential ,when the heroes illustrated in these shows , are too perfect. People can't bond with ,and love them. For example in Bionic woman the Heroine is very beautiful , very cool (she was working in the night and took her life in her hands), and clever and cultured (she went to college and was forced to drop it , although she was an elite student) . In Knight Rider , Mike is extremely good looking , cool of course (dragster driver) , he is an elite fighter (ex-delta force), a playboy (he wakes with two women in bed), also a very trustful gay , and sensitive . Sarah is very hot , very genius , She lectures in Stanford , and acts like 16 year old next to mike. Come on are they serious??? GIVE US REAL HEROES DAMN YOU!!!
Well this is certainly a bummer. Quite contrary to some comments below, I thought the acting was great and the effects certainly passable. I loved that this show was multi-faceted, exploring not only the cool spy and butt-kicking stuff, but also the sometimes funny, sometimes moving effects the bionic-ness had on Sommers' home life. I guess this show is another casualty of the dumbing-down of America.
It was a good show in a bad time slot. It helped that sci-fi aired it on fridays. I liked the show a lot. I think that the networks are looking for shows that have instant success and don't give shows time to develop into the hits they could be if give time. Some of the best shows of all time started out with bad ratings but were allowed to stay on the air and collect a fan base. If someone from NBC reads this, please bring the show back.
Horrible show...Acting - awful. F/X - Ridiculously low budget and unimpressive. Storylines - Absurd.
It is very sad and disappointing that NBC has cancelled this show. It had so much promise. As with MOST new series, the first year is always " iffy", yet NBC just axed it without its shows producers getting the option to try to redeem itself with new episodes. As I believe there were 14 FULLY finished episodes and NBC agreed to air all 14 episodes. Whether they will or not has yet to be determined. The show had so much promise and the writing could only get better, you know, learn from past mistakes? The shows creators should have read and listened to the fans of the show AND also fans of the original Bionic Woman for story ideas. I'm not talking about " fembots " or bigfoot ", but honestly, some of the " special effects" were even more unbelievable, like when Jaime " jumped " up almost 400 feet to save the dictator of a country that was there for a horse race? That was just too unbelievable. ONLY Superman could jump that high and the original Bionic Woman was only able to jump up to 30 feet. The Bionic " fight scenes " were something right out of the new " Charlies Angels " movie. There was more karate and tai-kwan-do. I mean Jaime would hit this 250+ pound man and he , with her bionic strength, only fell backwards into a wall. He SHOULD have flown towards that wall and then passed out and not gotten back up for more. Even though there was no slo-motion running, she still ran and they rarely " sped up " the footage as if she was actually running at her peak 60 MPH. When she punched men who threatened her, thats all they got, was a punch, with her bionic strength she should have flown back 20+ feet and they should have been neutralized and they should have passed out, on top of having possible broken ribs. Also the same when she kicked her assailants, they should have went flying through the air instead of just stmbling back a few steps. The directors and special effects teams did NOT take full creative control to accentuate her bionic strength when it came to fighting, and her bionic jumping was just too ubelievable, you could practically seee the harness she was tied to when she jumped, like when she was jumping from vents to vents in the episode when she went in to save the guy in paraguay or wherever, it was like she was jumping ballet style from vent to vent, her feet barely hit the vents, she was skipping from one to the other and then she got shot and fell, again, you could almost see thr harness she was attatched to. Maybe the slow motion effects did leave alot more to the imagination and THAT is why the original bionic Woman was such a hit. Sound effects should have been added in also, maybe not the old sound effects from the original Bionic Woman, but with the technology that is out today I am sure that they could have come up with some cutting edge sound effects to add to the action sequences.

They also left MANY unanswered questions and thats it, they brought them into the storyline and they were dismissed, never answered again. For example when she questioned why Will ( the surgeon that made her bionic but was killed in the first episode ( or was he really killed ). Jaime stumbled upon a docier about her that was 2-3 years old and she questioned Jonas aboutit and it was dismissed. Was Will really killed, with all the bionic technology that could have saved his life? If he was dead, he could have been brought back to life, just as Sara Corvis was, she was dead and Will brought her back ( a little crazy but she was still alive ). Not to mention the chemistry between jaime and sara was great !!! They fed off each others almost hatred towards each other and their fight sequences were again just that BUT it was TWO bionic woen fighting against each other...........what was that i said about fembots? LOL . Is Antonio (Isaiah Washington ) really dead????? I think NBC OWES us fans the right to see the last 6 episodes and maybe, just maybe they will be interesting enough that there could possibly be a season 2 ???? Also if NBC doesn't want it, why can't the Sci-Fi channel pick it up? Or BBC? She , Michelle Ryan is from England, I am sure she is a huge star there so why don't they pick it up? I believe, think, hope, that they take the last 6 finshed episodes and polish them up to make the audience want more. NBC should listen to the FANS of this Bionic Woman and the original and somehow combine the 2, even the first storylines in the first Bionic Woman and bring them up to date. There has to be ideas, stories, out there that the producers, directors, can write or update the remainng 6 episodes that will gain the attention of the viewers and then entice them with scenes for season 2. Bionic Woman is a much better show than some of the other dramas on the other networks. Pushing Daisies, the 6 Law and Orders, the numerous CSIs, Supernanny, The Bachelor, 1 vs 100, I mean come on.........A show like this is so unique, futuristic but in this time and day, beautiful women, action scenes, ok storylines that could be much better, they can be MUCH better. Should Bionic Woman fans mail batteries, or something that has to do with the show to bring it back like the fans of Jericho mailed them thousands upon thousands of pounds of peanuts to bring the show back? Lets think of something to mail to NBC to try to bring Bionic Woman back next season.

Love a HUGE BIONIC WOMAN FAN !!!!!! Ricky
It's not coming back... ever. I was a terrible adaptation, and clearly they've not learned their lesson with this horrid Knight Rider update they're foisting on us.
It was posted on NBC that Bionic Woman will be returning but when it will be back on is this up in the air.
What????

I loved the show i cant belive so many people didnt like it. contrary to most people. But it figures, they cancel the shows I like and keep the stupid ones, that I hate. (guess they have to have room for more quiz shows and reality shows yuck)

I would have liked to see an entire season of it though, but the strike stopped that from happening. I loved Michelle Ryan in Jekyll, but with clueless writing and direction she is hardly the one to hang the anchor on for this travesty.
Inevitable. The only thing worse than Hollywood's tradition of "updating" a show by making a sequel to the original and completely ignoring its legacy is when they update a spin-off without mentioning whatever spawned it. In other words, The Bionic Woman spawned from The Bionic Man. Supergirl just doesn't work in a world that's never heard of Superman.
What????

I loved the show i cant belive so many people didnt like it
Better to end this now before it really started to fall off the map.

Was it that the idea had already been done before?

The writer's strike?

The show's own writers?

Either way I didn't pay much attention to the show. And for the person who commented that 'stupid' shows like Pushing Daisies are still on the air... I'd rather see something original like that than a network trying to pawn off something "new" that aired over 25 years ago...
I though it was good.
Oh what a good show this could have been. "What if" the writing staff didn't change over its short life? "What if" the production staff didn't change over when the show was about to begin? "What if" the show didn't happen when the writer's strike was looming and the scripts seemed a bit rushed? Unfortunately "what if's" don't matter. This show would need a complete reboot, but with ratings needed so quickly these days before a show can make it, a really good concept goes down for the count.
yes this show was the worst ever.
See Ya
Lets just say goodbye.
I cannot say i'm surprised, i did watch the pilot and did'nt watch after that, what makes me laugh is how TV stations are getting rid of TV series ( ok some rubbish ) but some brilliant for rubbish that is reality TV.
I actually liked this show, contrary to most people. But it figures, they cancel the shows I like and keep the stupid ones (ie. Pushing Daisies, Pussycat Dolls), that I hate. I had a feeling they would cancel it. I would have liked to see an entire season of it though, but the strike stopped that from happening. Oh well...
Now if reality tv could follow this gimp out the door, all would be right with the world. The Bionic woman, I get canceling. But let's says, The 4400? I really don't get that move. NBC would sell their left nut to have a show that popular and sci-fi all over the place. But alas, the USA network was just too retarded. Not that I'm bitter or anything. Back on topic, the writing and unspecial effects on the bionic woman doomed it. It was like watching a psychotic kid finger paint in diarrhea. Not my scene.
Can't say I'm surprised, or even disappointed. The series is bland. The best thing they had going was the evil bionic woman.
Good riddance, it sucked!
I hate to say it, but I'm not that surprised. The episodes just continued to get worse and worse... it was like they expected it not to continue.
yay scrapyard
Networks remake old TV shows at their own peril. I never really cared for the original. It was just a spin off of the 6 million dollar man show. This could have been a good show if the producer, there must have been one with an overall clue as to what they wanted to do with this show, and the writers who unfortunately stumbled around with ever changing concepts being thrown at them could have gotten on the same page.

I loved Michelle Ryan in Jekyll, but with clueless writing and direction she is hardly the one to hang the anchor on for this travesty. This should have been dumped before it hit the air and more attention paid to worthy contenders like Journeyman, which IMHO got the shaft before it could hit it's stride. Once again the suits ****** up big time. With all the money they wasted, somebody 's corporate head should roll over this.
That's very disappointing to hear that everyone is making Michelle Ryan the scapegoat for the show's failure. I don't think it was her fault at all. I blame NBC and Universal for all the creative turmoil that led to the show's demise. Heck, going through 3 showrunners in 8 episodes was a clear sign there were major creative problems. Michelle did the best she could with the material she was given.
I have to say I'm not really surprised at this move. Some of the episodes were pretty weak and from what I've read about the problems with producers dropping out it was a matter of time.
Man that stinks.
The show was getting better each week.
Well NBC has itself to blame. Why would you air the show on other networks to where folks don't have to watch it on NBC where the ratings COUNT? Didn't they learn that from watching the demise of Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls and Girlfriends on the CW/WB/UPN?
Pity if the series has been cancelled. I live in the UK and I never watch Eastenders so never saw Ms. Ryan in it. Saw her in Jekyll and was impressed with her performance. As for her performance in Bionic Woman (I've been able to see the episodes), it actually links back to the original $6,000,000 Man where Steve Austin (actor Lee Majors) took a bit of time to get over his becoming Bionic. I agree that the writing and story ideas were poor (very little humour just like Galactica and a mistake) but the actors and actresses can't be blamed for that. As for Katee being given the lead role because she was an established name, this is rubbish, David Hasselhoff of Knight Rider and Baywatch fame was an unknown when he got the role of Michael Knight which was a huge commercial success. The reverse is also true, when it was announced that Billie Piper had been cast in the new series of Doctor Who, many people had reservations due to her earlier singing career. As it turned out again IMHO she, more so than Christopher Eccelstone, was responsible for the successful return of this show. She was rightfully rewarded with a number of awards for her acting in this series.
good show but went down fast seeing so so story's till the last 2 episode . thu hope they dont can it.
I don't blaim Michelle Ryan, it really was the writers and producers that screwed up the series. I remember reading a producer leaving the show because of creative differences about which direction he wanted to take it, right away it was a bad start. I saw the first few episodes but quickly lost interest because of some of the storylines, then they added the love interest for Jamie which pretty much killed the series for me.
I join those who expected more from this show because David Eick was heading the project, but were quite disappointed in it.
I did enjoy Bionic Woman. Wish they didnt cancel it, but gosh, at the dollers paid for it, hrmm.

Who the heck is getting all this cash??????
I expected much better from David Eick (BSG) and was disappointed with BW. Being a big fan of the original I had hopes for this one especially with the cast they had, but poor writing/scripts and storylines turned this into a mess.
Never watched it, but maybe the powers that be should take this as a warning to leave old tv shows alone and get talented people who can come up with ORIGINAL ideas instead of trying to re-do old ones from thirty years ago. As a side note, I am not one of those who like the new Galactica. I prefer the old one, corny as it was. So all I can say is ... Glad that'll be over soon too.
guess they have to have room for more quiz shows and reality shows yuck
Isn't nbc the one that axed freaks and geeks too? I don't own a tv so I can only watch from online episodes, which nbc hasn't been very good about lately. Considering most of the stuff on air lately I think Bionic woman is more deserving to stay- but if there is fighting behind the scenes it needs to get worked out before filming. Perhaps they will find a way to continue or break and get picked up again soon? I think Bionic definitely stands a chance to be very much more successful if the special effects are tempered and they appeal to more audiences.
LOL NOW WE HAVE MILLIONS TO SAVE FOR JOURNEYMAN AND SEASON 5 BSG!!!!!!

5 million an episode?!?!! We can do BSG Season 5 for that!
another good show getting axed, yet crappy reality shows like american idol keep coming back.
Load More Comments