Report: Lana, Lex leaving Smallville

When Kristin Kreuk began playing Lana Lang on the drama Smallville, she was 18 years old. Now in her prime at 25, the actress is apparently looking to branch out and make the transition to superstardom.

According to the snoops over at TVGuide.com, Kreuk is asking to not be back as a regular for Smallville's recently announced eighth season. The report states that both Kreuk and Michael Rosenbaum (who plays young Lex Luthor on the show) have essentially given notice that when the show goes back into production for what is likely its final season, they don't want to return as stars, but wouldn't mind dropping in for a few episodes.

Both Kreuk and Rosenbaum are two of four actors to be regulars since the show's inception (Allison Mack and Tom Welling being the others), and losing half of the show's core could be seen as a bit of a problem. However, Smallville has plenty of superpower left over thanks to the additions of several recurring Justice League characters such as The Green Arrow (Justin Hartley) and The Black Canary (Alaina Kalanj), as well as new series regular Supergirl (Laura Vandervoort).

As for Kreuk, her star is long overdue for a meteoric rise and it looks as though she's making the transition to feature films. The Canadian actress recently signed on to star as classic video game character Chun-Li in the upcoming Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.

Rosenbaum does not have any announced future projects, but by leaving Smallville, he will finally be able to prove that he does in fact have hair.

Smallville airs Thursday nights on the CW. For more information, head over to TV.com's previous coverage.

Nov 02, 2008
omg lex and lana is gone wont like the show now
Jun 09, 2008
Ok...i recently fell in love with this show. Bestbuy had seasons 1-6 for $20 a piece and since i had read how good it was i said why not try it out. It took me a week to finish all the episodes, but i clearly disagree with a lot of people about the whole Lana/Clark situation. I personally didn't grow up a huge Superman fan and really didn't read the comics, but i know most of the story line and i think Smallville doesn't really follow it, which i like. I love the chemistry between Lana and Clark...granted it has dragged out over several seasons, but the writers have done an excellent job molding these characters. Honestly, the actors definite connection is what wants me to believe that they will somehow incorporate Lana into the "superpower" world, but from what i have been reading she is not going to be on the show anymore. Regardless, i am now a huge fan!
May 23, 2008
Alright let's cut the crap people, this is not a comic book this is a real live show with real characters that have been meshed together with the personalities of the actors that portray them. Yes it would have been nice if they would have stuck to the comic book but let's face it how many people read the comic book, not as many people that watch the show, so comic book be damned. A show had to be created so that people will watch and want to continue to watch until it ends and obviously most people didn't want a show exactly like the comic book or it wouldn't be the number one show on that channel. And to me quite frankly it improves the old version of Superman not to offend the loyal fans but to say what I feel. Chloe is my favorite character and she wasn't even in the comic book but Lana was and everybody hates her. If Chloe wasn't in the show I would have dropped off long ago because the comic book version of the show just is not enough to keep my attention. How much trash was the new movie and they stuck to the comic book outlines. Things change and so to keep up with the new you gotta change the old.
May 12, 2008
derek_c from 4/19, I couldn't agree more. In fact, let's make it simpler still: when does Clark/Traveler become SUPERMAN, for crying out loud??? We've been "teased" by his bright red/ blue outfits, suggesting his 'suit' colors for quite a few seasons now, and if they're talking about ending the show entirely next year (season 8, no doubt for sure now that it's losing all these key characters), then I guess he'll stil be "just Clark." :-( I mean, what's the point, already? (This is not to mention short-changing us on the whole Clark & Lois rel.!)
May 12, 2008
She was the weakest link of the show, when analysing the show in a "comic book" perspective. Never really fitted the background. She is a good actress, what took her so long to go on with other projects?
Apr 19, 2008
What I want to see on Smallville is simple - how does Clarke Kent join the Daily Planet and become Superman without everyone who's seen him without glasses for the entire series immedately recognising him? :-)
Apr 02, 2008
Lana leaving is overdue she has been slowing down the flow of the show ever since her and Clark got together. As for Lex i dont mind to see him go and let some other villians have a chance. As long as he gets to come back for some EPs its all good.

LONG LIVE SMALLVILLE!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 01, 2008
lol It seems I'm the only one sad to see Lana go! I agree with 'vital_shot' in that she makes the show complete. But without Lex? Isn't he the main villian of the story? Does that mean someone else is going to be the thorne in Clark's side? hmmm...Brainiac perhaps? I hope so, he's the only guy I can think of that's on Lex's level of bad...
Mar 31, 2008
Being a Smallville fan, I find it quite disheartening that anyone would be so negative about any of the actors or actresses, as I have read here on this comment page. I see each of the young people as doing the job they are given. I will miss both Kristin and Michael. But they have chosen to move on and investigate new opportunities. I think every person who has been a regular or guest seem to put their heart and soul in to their part. I for one, hope that when the time comes to finish the series, the writers go above and beyond the call of duty. I hope that Smallville remains in the hearts of the fans forever. I was first introduced to Superman in reruns of George Reeves, as Superman. His Superman and the cast made an impact on me. Now with Smallville, the cast and Tom Welling as Clark Kent have brought back to life that same impact of being proud of who you are, what you learn and what you do in life. I hope if you are true fans, you learn from this talented group of young people. My hats off to you all, the cast, crew and true fans of Smallville.

Mar 28, 2008
Glad that Lana is leaving though her character is included in the film 'Superman 3'(played by Anette O'Toole.) I would like to see her and Lex mysteriously disappear then return sometime in Season 8. I would like to see some tragedy, have Chloe die saving another character with her meteor power. That could be the beginning of a very strong bond between Lois and Clark. Let's hope that with Lana out of the way Lois will come into the spotlight. Her and Chloe are much stronger characters.
Mar 28, 2008
I am a very die hard fan of superman, smallville is by far the best tv show yet i think.> but i agree that lana should leave but she can't be killed, they need to have her and clark have a major blow out as allways and then not bring her back. Clark needs to fullfill his destiny and go get his trainning from Jor-el, so he can finally fly.I think that would be a gr8 way to end season 7 have clark go for his tranning and have lex start his too become the true villian he is while clark is away. When he comes out of his tranning martha kent needs to come back to the farm and clark needs to leave smallville and join the justice leage for a while, and introduce bruce wayne into the show, anyway i am rammbling ( lol ) i dont think they should kill off Lex or Lana cause thats not how the story goes.........
Mar 28, 2008
yay she's finally leaving!... awww...lex is leaving (i'll get over it!) and the show can now get into the superman side of things, which they should have considered doing two seasons ago if you ask me
Mar 23, 2008
it is a major disappoint to lose Lex and Lana from the show but maybe it is time for some new blood. I think that the season will end with Lex killing Lana which will result in him leaving smallville and possibly moving to Metropolis. I feel this gives an opportunity for Lionel to become the main villain with Brainiac becoming a regular on the show. With Lex gone as a regular it may bring back Perry White as editor of the daily planet and could lead to clark getting a job there. They could also go on and have Lex persue a political career and could bring back Martha in to the storyline.
Mar 22, 2008
I majorly doubt if they will kill off either of them(or at least thats not how i would do it) But it shouldnt be too hard to work around it. Quick camios shouldnt be too bad for lex and a good bit over the phone. It seems in general agreement that lana should leave(no offence meant to kristin). Hopefully its time to start seeing clark stop focusing on a small group around him and start focusing on the world. Roll on Season 8(well lets finish 7 first!!!)
Mar 22, 2008
I don't think Lana should be "killed" or anything. We know she is not destined to be with Clark, but should be remembered as a pivotal influence in his past and childhood (i.e. maybe she's why he 'never lies' in the future). I think the problem is that the writers have been "exiting" Lana for so long now, instead of making her character and their relationship more exciting and interesting. I hope the writers bring back some of the Clark/Lana chemistry that many liked in the earlier seasons, only to separate at the end because it's the right thing (Clark's destiny). It shouldn't end with the dark, awkward tension of the recent episodes/seasons. As for Lex, it will be sad as Lex was always interesting. However, he needs to be away from Clark in order to develop into the true villian he is supposed to be. It would be awesome to see Clark's powers develop entirely and to take on new enemies and meet new allies. I'm not sure if he should end up in the Superman outfit, though. Maybe briefly at the very end... like when we saw a glimpse of his future in Season 3 (Hereafter) when that kid can see a person's future (death) when he touches them. Although I like Lois' character, the start of Clark/Lois doesn't fit in Smallville. It can be a separate series. I'm glad Chloe is staying. It will be sad to see Lana and Lex go.
Mar 20, 2008
Mann, thats awesome! I really think that's great more time for chloe scenes and they'll probably bring back clarks mom and there's always lois she awesome.
Mar 15, 2008
well lana can be easily skipped out of smallville but lex think its hard coz he's the only regular villan here
Mar 12, 2008
I agree with most of you with Lana leaving. Sorry to say but her acting got DEPRESSING the last few yrs. Lana : , say something short but deep,. Thats the extent of her acting... But Lex?? Thats what makes smallville so good. They stick to a pre-written story line from either a previous show, comic, etc.. And for Lex to die as a young adult would change everything. I would say ruin everything. Perhaps have him disappear and build his empire only to return as a cliff hanger in the last episode ever. And go out with a bang. You cant kill off Lex Luthor at 21 yrs old. Thats ridiculous! Lets have Clark "training" or flying, or anything developmental in the final season. Yes I know what was once said. "No tights, no flying." But the last season is as good as a time as ever. As far as new characters, Bruce Wayne needs to arrive for the final season. It also wouldnt hurt for a possible urban legend being discussed by Chloe that there is a amazon woman warrior out there somewhere. I think that would give them the final season bang we all would like. On that note I'd like to say that I believe Smallville has stayed, keyword being stayed, as popular as it has all this time because its never jumped the shark or completely turned into a superhero show. Yet the irony is we all watch it with that little hope that after we watch it we might feel like we just watched a JLU episode. As if we want the flying, the league, the complete Superman, but because we dont get it, we continue to watch. So if season 8 is the final season then we dont need a reason to keep us hooked any longer. I say sell out. Give Clark the cape and let him fly. Introduce Darkseid. Lets make the final season Smallville to Superman instead of just Smallville.

Im sad to see it go though.
Mar 12, 2008
With the extension of the 7th season as the writer's strike is now over, I hope the 8th season will be worthy. Smallville will greatly miss Michael (Lex), but I think it was time for Kristin to fly the coop already. The story needs to move on to let Clark become Superman.
Mar 12, 2008
How would you kill Lex? It wounldn't make sense for the rest of the movies or the comic book series, but I'm sure it won't be that hard to write him out of the last season. I'll miss him, he was my favorite character on the show.
Mar 11, 2008
Lana must remain the only love interest for Clark, even if she appears only for a limited number of episodes on Season 8. If the production makes Clark and Lana break up forever and pursues a Clark/Lois or other relationship then the show would sink just like it was sinking when the writers pursued the whole Lana/Lex relationship breaking up Lana/Clark, it just didn't work and couldn't work.
So, to make the whole thing work and have Lana as a character that appears only for a limited time of episodes on Season 8, the writers should do something clever and have a reason against Clark and Lana that obliges her to not appear in the show.. like.. 1) Jor-El sends her in a Phantom-Zone like thing; 2) Jor-El sends her in another dimension, time or verse; 3) Braniac kidnapped Lana and escaped with her.
And so on. These are possible good ways of addressing Kristin Kreuk schedules and having the show survive anyway.
Mar 11, 2008
Lex being killed wouldn't be silly Superman has plenty of other enemies. Enough of Lex is all I'am saying. We've gotten it for eight years.
Mar 11, 2008
I am interested that they are finally ridding Lana from the show, and focusing onto Clark's destiny to become Superman. I'm am tired of Lana thinking everything revolved around her, and I think everyone is tired of it, and her stalling pretty much everything else. For Lex, now that is something I would like to see in season 8. I'm just excited to finally see the end when Clark finally transforms into the man of steel we all know and love. There are so many variations to his exit/entrance.
Mar 11, 2008
I was honestly happy when I saw Lana's character is leaving the show. It's sad that it came to this point. But I like Kristin, and I think it'll be great for her to focus on other projects. She's very talented. It's not her fault her character is a pain in the ass. As for Michael, I beg for him to come back for a few episodes next season. I love the way he portrays Lex. But even if I'm a bit sad that they both are leaving, I think it's good for Clark's development. The man NEEDS TO BE AWAY FROM LANA and start looking forwards, not backwards.
Mar 11, 2008
Lana can leave, but Lex is almost main reason why I watch the show.He could stick around for one more season as regular Smallville cast-I just love his character.
Mar 10, 2008
Smallvilles 8th season will hopefully be the last. Its ran too long already. Its a great show but Clark has to fullfill his destiny soon surely and become Superman. Also referring to an earlier comment Lex wont be killed off thats just plain silly. He will move on but as we all know he returns as Clarks/Supermans nemesis in later years.

Lets hope for a good final season which ends with Clark returning from the Fortress of Solitude to start work at the Daily Planet
Mar 10, 2008
While I find the Lex character interesting, he's so repetitive it's ridiculous (not the actors fault obviously). The Lana character has been annoying for quite a while now, in fact I get he feeling the writers have trying real hard to come up with plot in that area and it feels really strained. To be honest I think it's about time they moved aside or wrapped up the characters.
Mar 10, 2008
Thank God, I hate Lana(who doesn't) and will get over Lexx so this works out just fine for me. Although not a huge fan of Hartley so let's just keep him out of the opening credits shall we. Clark & Chloe For Life.
Mar 10, 2008
jaguayo my screen name is kellerwilliam02 not kellerwilliams. Also that's not what i'm saying at all. The first Street Fighter movie bombed and killed everyones career. It might have the opposite effect on hers as she's trying to accomplish.
Mar 10, 2008
Note to writers: Kill of Lex it's been long overdue since like forever. We all want to see it at least I do. It's worthless to have this guy as a guest star when he's billed as the lead villian.

Have Lex die by Lionel's hands or Clark or by somebody he's crossed in the past. Lana I like but yes she is tiring. It's time for her to go permanently guest starring roles would be meaningless.
Mar 10, 2008
as soon as i found out lana was leaving i had the biggest smile on my face. i absolutly can't stand her anymore..shes so annoying and doesn't do anything for the show anymore.
Mar 10, 2008
I hate to think of this show ending. It has not been the same since Clark's parents left, however. They provided a constant positive parental influence on all of the characters. If it truely is ending, I hope a spin off will come in the form of the Justice League. Smallville has certainly planted the seeds.
Mar 10, 2008
I agree with Dacrowe, this coming season should be straight to the point. I also agree with kellerwilliams,,,, come on Krsitin don't fall into stereotypes... if you don't aim to another gender you won't get that far... Street Fighter simply should be your next step.
Mar 09, 2008
Didn't they do a street fighter movie that failed MISERABLY??? back in the 90's Raul Julio's last movie that sucked. They don't even play it on USA. I'm afraid that'll kill her career too. Its about time she left. I'm tired of her character anyway. Although i've always fantasized about GL being on there having the original GL not the JLA one. Have a romantic relationship between GL and Supergirl. If its already happened i don't know that it has so chill.
Mar 09, 2008
lookin forward for the Street Fighter movie
also lex with hair!!! thats gonna be weird
always found him a unique character without hair

smallville went down the drains on season 7
anyone else think batman deserves a show
something like the smallville?
Mar 09, 2008
I would welcome the exit of Lana Lang from the Smallville scene. I have nothing against Kristen Kruek it's just that the Clana relationship has been dragged on too far. As for Lex I am interested to see what toll this absense will take on the show. Change can be good, but it also can be a dagger to the heart.
Mar 09, 2008
The old line, "moving on to bigger and better things" usually has a not so good ending for most actors. I think the Justice League can easily fill the gap, along with Brainiac and some Zoner Baddies :)
Mar 08, 2008
finally!!! we´ve had enough lana/clark crap this season. time for a new womanin clarks life... and lexis getting on mynervs too. he´s become kind of psycho killer... the bad guy is too bad to my taste
Mar 08, 2008
That sucks. Clark/Lana is my favorite couple...looks like thats gonna go out the window now :(

And Lex leaving isnt gonna be good either.

This show is officially going downhill. It has been since last season. I miss the old Smallville :(
Mar 08, 2008
damn dont they need lex. lex is like the best supervillain ever i dont get y they r not gunna be in the next season
Mar 08, 2008
ok, i dont get it if it is going to be the last season of smallville what is the point of the lana and lex leaving to only come back in a couple episodes they should stay for the final episode and then it can have a final like the last episode of season 3 where the characters all went in different ways.
Mar 08, 2008
I can't believe that Lex is not gonna be in final season!!! How will they do that?! I can't imagine this show without Clark and Lex! I'm soooo disappointed!!!
I'm not that sorry that Lana is leaving, a got soo tired of her... But I am hoping that Justin Hartley will get to be a regular cast member! Oh myyyy... That would be just GREAT!
Mar 08, 2008
Finally no more Lana!!! Losing lex not so good for the show. This could lead to an entire season of clark vs. meteor freak of the week. They should proceed as follows. Episodes 1-4 should wrap up the Smallville aspect of the show. Sell the farm, say goodbye, kill off Lana and Clark finishing his trials. Episodes 5-10 Clark Joins the Justice League and they battle the bad guys for a few espisodes. Episodes 11-15 Clark leaves the Justice League and returns to Metropolis as Superman and create the groundwork for all of the plots from the Superman movies. I love the show but it really does not need a 22 episode season to wrap everything up.
Mar 08, 2008
Though its sad to see them go (because they were my two favorites... along with Allison Mack)I guess its time for them to move on. I hope they bring back Justin Hartley as a regular cast member though =)
Mar 08, 2008
Too bad that Lex is leaving at the end. He could be part of an interesting ending for Smallville. He has become, in my opinion, the most popular character in the story. Lana is hot but her role got out of focus. Good luck baby, hope to see you soon in a movie.
Mar 07, 2008
What about Lois and Jimmy, will those characters return. You would think they would get atleast a mention.
Mar 07, 2008
Yay, Lana's leaving. But I hate that Lex is going. He's the main reason I watch.
Mar 07, 2008
They cant kill off lex that would be the most stupid ending in television history. There is soooooooo many things wrong with it.
Mar 07, 2008
Ummm SPOILERS DONT READ!!!!

After hearing that closer to the 7 season finale a main character dies... and then i head back to TV to find out this...

i think lana is dying on episode 16... they said in this report that she may be back... she will be back as flashbacks...( or maybe not to spoil her death)... unless chloe or lionel die but i dont know now :S

SPOILERS END

anyways i really hope 4 more Green Arrow every single episode with him is an amazing one so yeah if he appears in most of the episode that would be really kool GO GREEN ARROW!!!
Mar 07, 2008
I'll be sorry to see Lex go, but I think it'll probably be better for the show in the end.
Load More Comments