Revenge: Good Grief

Revenge S01E21: "Grief"

Every episode of Revenge moves along like it's the finale. Whereas a lot of other, lesser shows save a big surprise or a wad of information for the finale like the finale is dessert and the season is vegetables, Revenge gets the concept of entertainment and doesn't let a week go by without wowing its viewers. So as we approach next week's ACTUAL season finale, the question is not if, but HOW, Revenge will blow our minds (and this episode laid some serious track toward Mind-Blown Town, sister city to Shut-the-Eff-Up-Did-That-Just-Happen?! Ville).

Where to start? Well, we could start with the beginning, Emily frantically digging a grave that in retrospect seems way too large for a dog. (And frankly, burying anything in the shifting sands of a beach can be chancy. The last thing you want to think about during a lobster bake is a decomposing paw making its way through the dunes.)

Sammi, who by our casual guess-timations was well into his 378th dog year, died this episode, inexplicably coated in fake blood and using his last bit of strength to fight his way to Emily's door. We've often overlooked Sammi's loss in the David Clarke cover-up. This proud golden retriever SHOULD have spent his life on a beachfront property, frolicking amongst the waves and settling into a powder-blue brocade dog bed at night, but instead he was relegated to the back wharf of a Red Lobster, an injustice that clearly haunted Sammi in his final days. Jack had a far larger reaction to Sammi's death than to his own dad's and in his grief he and Emily MADE OUT. And this minx was giving them the side-eye through the window the whole time:

Do you think she'll hot-glue a bunch of gems into a mosaic of Emily and Jack kissing and mail it out as their save-the-dates? I wouldn't put anything past her. Also, cheers to another vixen who strutted back onscreen in the barest whisper of a kimono, showing a sexy swath of sternum—Lydia is back, everybody! Her bones have grown back together. I loved her and Conrad sipping their brandy simultaneously and glaring at Victoria when she dropped in at Conrad's bachelor pad. It was half a decadent slap in the face and half an invitation to a threesome. We know how randy Victoria gets when she catches sight of some abstract expressionism.

I also loved when Victoria slit open the painting in front of Lydia later. What's classier—knowing exactly where to slit open a painting to retrieve a hidden docket of evidence, or GASPING with SHOCK when someone stabs a painting? I must remember to gasp more about people sitting on expensive coats wrong or putting antique chairs too close to the fireplace. It makes one seem so knowledgeable.

Now about this new character—Burt Simmons. Be he friend or foe? This handsome, working-class technician seemed capable yet flustered when he—wait…WAIT…that's Nolan! With a touch of spirit gum and a fake soup-strainer. I really wish he had worn Jack's Biblical Mullet wig from last week and a Billy the Exterminator soul patch to really round out his Burt Simmons character.

Because Nolan is pure goodness, he risked his own neck to install a spy-cam in Karl Lagerfeld's house and sent the murderous Emily to the wrong address to prevent her from taking the irretrievable step of murder. He should have turned on his heel and fled as soon as he saw all those clocks on the wall. No sane person has more than three clocks on one wall. Nolan's thoughtful spy-cam installation unfortunately backfired on him, as we saw when the white-haired man appeared out of nowhere inside Nolan's house and CHOKED HIM OUT at the end of the episode. I have to believe that his multiple encounters with Emily and Tyler have taught him to play possum when confronted with a "certifiable sociopath," because as the Lord is my witness, if the writers try to kill Nolan off this show I will unleash the fury of every petition and mail-in campaign my rattled blogger's mind can compass.

But I have every confidence that Revenge knows Nolan is 99.9 percent of what keeps Emily likable and human (check out the Nolan/Emily shippers' videos if you want to see what true dedication to Revenge looks like), and also that threatening him will excuse ANY action of Emily's in the viewer's eyes. So if her bloody face—which ABC keeps teasing in promos—is from her disemboweling the white-haired man in Nolan's house, awesome. Nice and legal (he's an intruder) and we will forgive anything Emily does to defend Nolan, even if it involves a Lord of the Flies fugue state wherein she briefly paints her face with blood and runs around Nolan's house blowing an outsized shell to confuse her white-haired prey.

Also, sigh, Declan still exists and inexplicably has a curly-haired moppet from Yonkers THROWING herself at him, which led to complications when the very-wronged Charlotte showed up in his room asking if they could spend the night together.

See girls, this is why you should never buy and consume an extra-large freezer bag full of drugs: It makes you do stupid things, like returning to your horrible ex's crawlspace just in time for some crimped-hair ho to march out from his bathroom in his T-shirt and dress you down as being a walking tabloid. (And um, was she bottomless? Awkward.)

It's hard to blame Charlotte for turning to jumbo portions of drugs. Grayson manor is so very dicks against chicks these days. Daniel accepted the painting evidence from Victoria and then bragged to Conrad that she "buckled." I predict there will be a reckoning for that little snide comment.

Obviously the minutes will torture us until the finale next week, but we CAN enjoy laying out our predictions for the finale!

For one thing, I'm fairly certain Emily is going to kill that white-haired dude to save Nolan. But tell me what you think of these other bits of speculation:

1. Will Jack put two and two together and make four and then, in the confident post-successful-arithmetic glow, realize Emily is Amanda?

2. Will Lydia join forces with Victoria to topple Conrad?

3. Will Ashley tattle on Emily kissing Jack to Daniel?

4. What are your predictions for next week’s season finale?

anyone else find it absolutely hysterical that she put a camera in an Orwell fakout book? LOL
1. Nah...Jackie boy is pretty but he ain't bright!Maybe Max Evans totally fried his brain when he saved him...wait, wrong show. Sammi damn near barked it out in morse code and he still didn't get it. Oh to be pretty and dumb...

2. I home so! Femme fatales make this show oh so deliciously scandalous!

3. Only if the opportunity works in her favor. I'd advise her not to blackmail emiily though...Ems will RUIN her!

NOOOOOOOO! Not NOLAN!!!!"as the Lord is my witness, if the writers try to kill Nolan off this show I will unleash the fury of every petition and mail-in campaign my rattled blogger's mind can compass. " And you shall lead us all Lily...and blood will be shed and Revenge will be had because there will be no acceptance at the end of that type of grief!! Nolan is the bestest! He was so adorable going underco ver and the way he seeks Emily's approval is just the cutest...he sounded like a little kid with the "did you see me? Did ya see? you'd be sooo prooud of me right now!" We are Nolan. We are. Emily even gave him a heartfelt apology...which she should do like every episode. But if she is really as good of a friend as Nolan is...she should Teach him some Kung Fu or something! Damn! How many times does are sweet baby have to be in harms way because for inexplicable reasons the paranoid internet billionaire has a serious lapse in security and folks be storming in his house to choke him out on the regular! Even badass John Reese taught Finch how to poke an assailants eyes out!

I cannot wait for the finale! Daniel is shady...Victoria and Lydia could be teaming up. Nolan is in Peril...Jemily cuteness....all in this episode. What could the finale bring?!
I thought that Jack was telling her he HAD figured it out because Sammy kept bringing them together.
He said he figured out that Sammy must have wanted them together...not that Emily is Amanda.
1. No

2. No, she has too much invested in Conrad.

3. WTF? Can anyone give a logical reason why Ashley was standing outside Emily's house peeking in, at that time of night? Other than a ridiculous plot contrivance, that is? Is that her nightly stakeout position for Conrad?

4. I think Emily is going to get a great deal more satisfaction from bringing the Graysons down but then is going to find out that they are just the tip of an iceberg in some great conspiracy (sigh!)
In another recap, the writer wrote something like "she must be a cousin of Ellis from Smash" xD.
My guess is that Ashley wanted to discuss the wedding plans.
Please, DON'T kill Nolan! I'm wondering how will Emily/Amanda know he's missing.

1. I don't think so. I think maybe she will tell him all of this in one of the season's finales... once she gets in real trouble.

2. Lydia is clever, she'll play fot both teams and see what's good for her. Still, let's not forget Victoria is the trickiest of them all...

3. Ashley is another clever little minx. I'm sure Amanda/Emily will take care of that without any troubles.

4. It's going to be AMAZING. For sure. Perhaps this will mean a breaking point in the Amanda/Emily-Nolan friendship, at least for a while.

We'll miss Sammy, he was adorable!
Awesome episode setting up what could be a grand season finale!
I'm with you there, Lily! If ABC DARE to kill Nolan off, I'm declaring boycott!

1) As a season finale, I think it's about time Jack realises who Emily really is. He should have done so by now, but anyway...

2) Lydia is a slippery slope and I won't bother speculating with what she will do, but one thing I think we're all sure of - she will do what is in her best interest.

3) Ashley is an annoying little b****, and I hope she vanishes from the series. Maybe Emily would kill her off, after she is finished with Karl Lagerfeld (LOL)

4) Mindblowing...I can't wait to see it! :)
Mike Kelley previously promised that Jack WOULD NOT kiss her until he knew she was Amanda,"one season or 100 seasons from now".And I actually thought I heard him call her Amanda over Sammy's grave.Apparently the closed-caption says "Emily" but have you given a good listen?
I'm pretty sure Sammy was coated in mud (from his trek through who-knows-where to get to Emily/Amanda's house). Also, he's a yellow Lab, not a Golden Retriever.
this episode was awesome and i like Jack more than Daniel and people saying that Daniels bad attitude is because people like him more than Jake so it may cancel it but i think Daniel's bad attitude is just to cancel Jack's bad hair day in last episode.
Does anyone wonder if Sensai and Amanda/Emily are shacked up somewhere and doing the dirty dance while spending Emm's money?
I don't know how some of you can say people hate Jack when it's the complete opposite. I have gone to many sites and almost on all of them people are rooting for Jack and Emily to end up together. Anyways this was a great episode and a laugh out loud recap. Loved Nick's and Emily's acting in the Sammy scene. They really sold it. I was neutral on the love triangle but after watching this episode I am on team Jack. Sorry but Daniel is too wishy washy. I don't care if he has other plans regarding his father I can not seem to sympathize with him.
I'm sort of indifferent on the Jack and emily thing...but I do like Jack. Even though he's at times poorly utilized and unbelievably dense. If I had to choose between Daniel and Jack I'd choose Jack. Daniel is sketchy...hot but sketchy.
Lily Sparks, you are one of my favourite people ever. L O V E your reviews!

My hopes for season 2 would be to kill off Ashley (happy to see I'm not only one who thinks that)

Also, is it just me or is Nolan's auntie looking like she will have a bigger role in s2? For a second I thought she sounded more like Emily's mom than a mere ally. I don't think anything is going to happen to Nolan - he has a huge fanbase (just look at this comment section, people love him! :)))
Tyler, yes, Ash, no way, she fits right in, but you could drop her off a building and maybe lay her up for a few days, that'd be okay...
I predict just more great fun at the office as one of Vicki or Conrad's nukes explode leaving them with blackened faces and saying something like "Rats as we fade out of season uno and wait for round Too ;-)
Ok, so I'm still thinking David Clarke is alive. The man in white was sent to kill him by Conrad, but instead saved him and the company that he works for has been hiding him? I'm not too sure, just getting my ideas out there.
David Clarke proving to be alive would ruin the whole series.And the white-haired man works for the terrorist group (Amerikhan Initiative) that blew up the plane.
You're, I'm sure spoiling Revenge's 7th season cliffhanger, but what the hey, if I'm right, then it's all good...
Actually it would be pretty freaking awesome and mind-blowing if Jack found out Emily is Amanda and then ten seconds later he dies. That would definitely keep her revenge going because how long can a show last with her only wanting to avenge her father?
Fake blood? Maybe your colour is off. The dog was covered in dirt and mud from dragging himself to his true home.

Best performance by an animal ... ever!
Hear here...
Oh where to begin.....

I liked this weeks episode. I practically bawled like a baby when Sammi died yet when Henry 'died' on OUAT I was like "whatevs". That shows where my priorities are.

Daniel is getting more and more unlikable to me but I can sympathize with him why he got angry with Emily for being too occupied with other things. As for Ashley can Emily PLEASE get rid of her already?

You would think with all the money in the world Nolan would hired better SECURITY???? Seriously! As much as I love Nolan, you would think he would learn his lesson after the last psychopath snuck into his house. Does he not have a security alarm? Geez this show...

And every time I see Declan or Charlotte on screen, I want to bash my head against the wall. So you can imagine when they're on screen together, the urge to bash my skull is ten times stronger. It's been how many months since Declan and Charlotte broke up and she's complaining he moves too fast? Bitch, please...

1. No. Not for a while at least.

2. Yes but then Victoria will crush Lydia.

3. Ashley is an opportunist. She is going to want to see what she can get out of seeing Jack and Emily kiss. Perhaps she will blackmail Emily into giving her money? But knowing Ems she will go ninja on Ashley's butt.

4. Emily will save Nolan and go after the white haired man. Someone might find out her identity. Someone might even die. And then Emily will go after the other people the white haired man implied was behind the plane crash but the writers will save that for season 2.

Wha-excuse me but didn't Danial return to Emily with Conrad's evidence bag and drop it at Emm's feet or was that just wedding invites?
Daniel isn't going to give the evidence bag to Emily. Why would he? He just brought it home with him. As far as he knows Emily is a sweet little angel who has no part in anything.
But you can't tell me Emm's doesn't know what it is as she acends the stairs.
Of course she knows. She heard the conversation. Daniel doesn't know that she knows what it is. I really don't know why you're bringing this up though.
First things first, if anything happens to Nolan... well there isn't really much that I can do but I'm sure there will be some screaming and crying and the like.

1. I think that Jack will put two and two together and come up with 27, I'm still stunned that he hasn't pieced it together yet.

2. Lydia could go either way, if she was smart she would side with Victoria and save her own ass.

3. Ashley will surely be doing some scheming to get something out of seeing Jack and Emily but also like Jack she will come up with 27 and then share the info with the wrong person and lose it all.

4. I predict that Emily will save Nolan after yelling at him once more for being the only person who actually helps her and I have a feeling that something will happen to Charlotte after she somehow magically learns the truth about Emily. I'm also hoping that Declan falls into a giant hole.
I just looked up my first love from Jr. High on FB that I haven't seen in 50 years and I was absolutely positive it was her, so how could Jack possibly be an idiot, nope, he's just stupid...

And if you think ABC would let anything really bad happen to our favorite Nolan, then you're the idiot...

And by magically, you mean smoking that giant bag of dope, or whatever you do with it, and trippin', then yeah...
Poor Nolan. I think he should have known that the gray haired man would have that that camera. He looks like he once worked some counter surveillance.
OMFG thank you for the kiss pic. The sobbing-over-the-dog-like-my-brother-just-died thing really irritated me so I fastforwarded through it. Didn't see the kiss at all. need to rewatch now. Nice save :D
No...you don't.
Nope of those predictions are going to happen.
This is the Nolan show so no way he gets killed. Not even a bit.... Still I would like to see Emily going ninja on anyone who dares mess up her sidekick's hairstyle...
No they're not going to kill Nolan, the whole viewing audience loves Nolan, even if the residents of the Hamptons inexplicably do not (I'm kind of over Jack & Emily rolling their eyes whenever Nolan comes around. How many friends do YOU have who save your boat, your bar, & give your little brother a free private school education? Enough already!)

Takeda. I think he's the long arc of Revenge - I think he's using Emily for his own revengenda. Why else would he be helping her?
If you don't like Nolan then you're a hopless puppy and ice cream hating clod...
I love ice cream (Purple Cow ROCKS) and actually helped rescue abused animals, but Nolan is the smarmiest piece of TV-trash there is. I haven't seen anything likeable about him and he's one of the reasons I stopped watching the show (my husband loves the show, so I read the reviews so that I'm not totally lost when he talks about it...kinda like Cliff's Notes).
Can I just say, AMEN Lily Sparks!!!! I screamed when that guy was coking Nolan, he cannot die! He's the heart of the show not that Sammi's gone :(.
Oh, he coked him too, I musta missed that....
LOL, I just saw that! Choked, I meant choked! :)
Okay, Lily here I go... Another great episode, fast paced and with so much going on, it was almost hard to keep up.

- As I watched the episode I kept thinking Takeda would not be pleased. I mean, if revenge can only be achieved by abstaining from any emotional involvement deeper than fury, then her plan is hurtling off the rails.

- For the first time in a long time, we actually saw the real Emily. She brought back her emotions and let her guard down with Sammy's death and by kissing Jack. The fembot has actual emotions and Emily VanCamp did a truly great job.

- Loved Emily's emotionless " I'm sorry" speech to Daniel, complete with eye roll.

- I'm so happy Lydia is back, I hope she makes it to S2.

- Before I could finish the phrase "That kiss is gonna bite you..." I saw Ashley standing there. Of ALL the characters who should NOT have that information....Ashley is number one on the list. She is clearly going to blackmail Emily.

- I know I'm probably the only one but I was thrilled she kissed Jack. I like Jack, sure he's just too dam good and sort of boring sometimes but he's way better than Daniel.

- Quote of the week: "You may be a lot of things: black belt in karate, impeccable dresser, and a certified sociopath, but you're not a killer."

- Damnit, Emily finally acknowledges how awesome Nolan is. Of course something bad happened to him in the next 5 seconds. By the way, what a great cliffhanger right?.

- I'm starting to really like Ashley, she's slowly evolving into a less awesome version of Victoria.

Granted, she'll never be as awesome but she's no slouch in the manipulative bitch race either.

- I'm sort of worried about one thing though, the whole Initiative thing. First of all what kind of name is that? I mean this isn't Buffy! Is the Initiative the terrorist organization that downed that jetliner for which David Clarke took the fall? Or something even bigger? Is what happened to Emily's father just the tip of the conspiratorial iceberg? I mean what the hell, one of the reasons the show works so well is the fact that the story is sort of grounded and fairly simple. The idea of a man and how he destroyed the other one was captivating and interesting.Expanding and attributing this destruction to coyly named shadow figures removes what we like most about the show: the characters. How many shows have fallen down the rabbit hole of poorly constructed conspiracy plots and not been able to crawl back out? I'm worried... really worried.
I LOVE Jack; and was THRILLED when they kissed; I mean that was real chemistry; and even those who are on team Daniel, they have to admit in the recent episodes Jack trumps Daniel in all regards! That being said, there is a possibility that Daniel is gathering intel to take down his father himself...I mean unless the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
Hahaha! The Initiative and Buffy! I totally forgot about that. I agree that a whole secret terrorist organization plot seems a bit too ridiculous and complicated for this show. I know they have to do something to keep the twists coming, but I do hope they can do it in a way that still keeps the show simple and grounded, like you said.
1.I don't think Jack is smart enough to recognize Emily...Maybe she will come clean to him...season 1 cliffhanger...

2.Those two are so double crossing each other and Conrad that they can end up working together without even knowing it

3. I think Ashley will try to blackmail Emily, and she will destroy her, Emily-style...I liked her better when she was a prostitute...I don't like Ashley...

4. No prediction. It's almost impossible. Maybe Emily will reveal herself to someone (Jack?Charlotte?)
You're not supposed to like Ashley, but secretly love her like the rest of us do...
I have watched human characters die on screen that elicited less emotion from me than the death of Sammi. Cried my freaking eyes out. And Nick Wechsler really sold his performance there, watching him cry over his dog like that was painful, in a good real kind of way.

And if they kill Nolan I will be very, very pissed off.
Didn't you catch the disclaimer that NO PETS WERE HARMED IN THIS EPISODE, in the end credits and then the final line that Sammi is alive on a farm somewhere...
I loved the literary references in this episode, like Emily putting the spy cam in the Orwell book all big brother style. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the dog dying reminded me of the dog in The Odyssey, who lived way beyond his years and waited to die until his master came home.
Yeah, but they missed the O really bad making it tacky...
Oh, right.... Wow that's some great and interesting insight Carly.
Thank you!
Well, I mean, the whole "Justice for Dad" thing can only carry the show for so long.

Maybe season 2 will be all about REVENGE FOR NOLAAAAN!!!

Think about it, she could get a brand new secret box, maybe with a little whale carved into the lid, where she keeps all the precious memorabilia of their time together (USB sticks that contain surveillance footage of the whole damn town, a cheque book - only half used *sob*, some gay porn...you know, Nolan stuff.) that she glares at every now and then to motivate herself to avenge his death.

Nolan's auntie could be season 2's wise asian dude, and this time Emily hunts down grey haired guy's whole family, maybe starts an affair with his daugther or something to get closer to her target, and slowly disposes of all of them one by one!

It could work!

On the other hand FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T YOU WRITERS DARE HARM A HAIR ON HIS PRECIOUS SIDE EYE GIVING SCENERY CHEWING HEAD OR I WILL END YOU!!!!
haha.. best comment
Does anybody think Daniel completely helping his dad all the time is just a little out of character for him? He is one of the few I feel they are getting wrong right now, I feel like his transformation into a representative of his dad is just to quick for his personality. Just wondering what others may think?
Agreed! All Daniel seems to be missing is a white cat in his lap.
I think he's playing his dad. He's got some kind of plan, he just hasn't told anyone.
So basically the writers of Revenge have realized nobody likes Jack, so they had to find a way to make everyone dislike Daniel more.
Who hates Jack?????
I could see that but people do like jack. I don't dislike jack I just think Emily actually is in love with the idea of jack and who he was and how he helped her dog. I truly think along the way he fell for Daniel. He would be the only one who could handle her deception. I hope Daniel I setting his dad up because I like him.
I LOVE Jack. I hate Daniel, have hated from the first ep. But I always go for the underdogs...
Well, I think that he was too likeable at first,, made the audience a bit confused, cause he's supposed to be one of the 'bad' guys... also I think, that the show needs to fuel Emily/Amanda's motives of revenge, so we'll have something new to watch in the second season.
Oh, I was sooo sad for the death of Sammy (who I think is a yellow lab, not a golden retriever), but the kiss between Jack and Emily was an FINALLY-moment for me. I so want to see those two together, but I'm thinking it won't happen until Emily's Master Plan is completed. Jack is so right for her!

I really do hope he'll realize that Emily actually is Amanda. Hopefully the finale will be good!
"Before you embark on a journey of revenge dig two graves" those were the words Revenge started with. In the finale will she dig Nolan's grave or white hair man's, better be white hair man's otherwise I will join you on your fury driven E-mail campaign.
It has to be the other man. They can't kill Nolan!
I can't believe they killed off the dog! It did the best performance in the show. *Sob*.
This show is just so much fun to watch. Every episode has so much happening, and I am never really certain what any of the characters are going to do at any moment. Can't wait for next week!

Also I agree, if they kill Nolan I will be pissed.
Killing Nolan would be like if Fringe had let Astrid die, and nobody's that stupid, Many would rather see Emily or Vicki go down than Nolan, so don't give that one a second thought...ain't happening.
*gasp* Letting Astrix die?! NOT ON MY WATCH, JJ!
I hope you're right about Emily killing white-haired dude to save Nolan!

NO. One thing that's not changing anytime soon is Jack's all around dumb-ness!

Hmmm, not sure about Lydia. I think she'll just look out for herself in the end.

Oh absolutely, Ashley's telling or blackmailing. Will it be Ashley that Emily kills next week? Don't mess with her Revenge! I'd actually be okay with that! LOL

I'm not gonna bother trying to make predictions with this show! I'll just sit back and enjoy as usual!
I would be okay with Ashley somehow disappearing from the show. I have never been very fond of her.