Revenge: Prison Breaks

Well hello, new Stripper Friend!

Are you still reeling from last night's episode of Revenge? Should we all talk about Tyler and Nolan right now? Because I am so conflicted about that storyline. On the one hand, hurray for ABC for taking a leap. The show didn't show us the man-on-man kiss, which is lame, but it's nice that it made a beloved main character happily gay! (The other big revelation about Nolan last night: chiseled abs!!)

Or did it? Help me out: Here we have a mainstream network showing a steamy gay storyline (which is so rare; gays are so often depicted as asexual aesthetes), but Tyler is clearly supposed to be a threatening deviant, ready to roofie his best friend at a moment's notice. Also, both characters side-stepped the term gay and claimed "sexually ambiguous" identities. So is this a step forward or a step back? Hinting at Tyler and Nolan's steamy bedtime tumbles seems progressive to me, but what do I know?

The progress we can count on is that of Revenge going from Lifetime-quality humdrum drama to fascinating trashy nighttime soap. We now have a woman recuperating in the hospital who might reveal a terrible secret. Lydia should be SO much more messed up than she appeared. A broken arm and a head bandage?!?! She squashed a sedan! Victoria, meanwhile, seemed distraught (or at least too worried to deep-condition her ends), and protected Lydia from Frank.

I absolutely loved the warden Emily called after Frank turned up in her house in an attempt to find dirt on her so he can make nice with Victoria. Who is this goddess?

Too bad she was absolutely no help to Emily. Apparently Emily bought her former prison a whole library and is in cahoots with the warden, but didn't get C.C.H. Pounder to destroy incriminating files? I'm guess I'm not complaining, because ultimately the files Frank found led him to a really conservative bikini bar. Didn't the dancers seem kind of warm in their outfits? Those were some demure strippers.

Frank quickly identified Emily's old cellmate, the real Emily Thorne, and she agreed to meet him in the parking lot after her shift—at which point she cracked his skull with the Clue pipe. Twice. While he was on the phone with Victoria. This was completely unexpected and rad. Thank goodness the episode ended with the Stripper Murderess showing up in the "Hamptons." I have a feeling she is going to be to this show what clingy jersey fabric is to Forever 21. Also: Do I detect hints of a same-sex romance between Emily and Stripper Friend? It's hard for me to focus on anything other than those raven locks , but I sensed some chemistry.

Certainly more chemistry than exists between Emily and Jack. Emily showed up at The Stowaway, which in a genuinely funny moment was chock full of ladies (ordering sugar-free margaritas, hahaha) because news had gotten out that Daniel "tends bar" there. (One never bartends in the "Hamptons," he "tends bar.") Despite being surrounded by ladies and having the dashing good looks of a chubby Johnny Depp, Jack was still just moping like a lonely creepster. And shame on you, Emily, for encouraging him! Leaving your doors unlocked and making eye contact with Jack is like asking to be put in a gimp suit and held captive under your own trap door.

Declan agrees with me: He was super defensive about his brother's ham-fisted attempts at romance. Charlotte brought Declan to her parent's anniversary dinner and he was immediately the worst guest in history. He called out Emily for jerking his stalker brother around (awkward), insulted everyone at the table, then hopped off his chair and fled the room, which made Charlotte feel all warm and fuzzy inside. So officially begins another classic soap opera trope: wrong-side-of-the-tracks romance!

Also: Emily's green wrap dress with shoulder pads seemed like a nod to Dynasty.

As far as I am concerned, last night's episode marked a countdown to a lily pond fight. And I can't think of a better reason to keep watching.

QUESTIONS:

... Tyler and Nolan: progressively sexy gay storyline or kind of homophobic?

… Tyler and Ashley: Will they still maintain a romantic element in their relationship or are they more like conspiracy buddies?

… Emily said Daniel is not a target. Does that mean she's really in love with him?

… Did you catch that the show used the Kurt Vile song "In My Baby's Arms" when Emily and Daniel were frolicking in what must be, at this time of year, ice cold waves? Hipster in the sound department, holla!

… Is Revenge our generation's Dynasty?

Lilly, for you to see what's happening between Tyler and Nolan as homophobic shows how PANT-CRAPPING CRAZY political correctness is nowadays. Tow dudes getting it on will NEVER be homophobic - even if one of the dudes keep saying "yeah, I'm tapping that ass, but it doesn't mean I'm gay!"

And, BTW, for this to be "Dynasty", you, at the very least, need a Blake Carrington, and there's no Blake showing up so far in this glorious mess. One cute dress at a dinner party, a "Dynasty" clone this doesn't make.
Staff
Whoa whoa whoa, buckeroo, if you read the article you'll notice I said I thought it was progressive. Then I put it out there to see if other people felt differently. Consensus! The power of consensuality! Conrad Grayson has the white hair/dark circles look down. And if you'll remember the first episodes of Dynasty were relatively restrained and classy. When Victoria shouted "WE ARE ALL DROWNING IN LIES!" this episode, I felt the same shivers I feel at the first notes of the Dynasty credits, which when I am a billionaire will play on a loop in my grand foyer.
Okay I just read the rest of your interview and your kind of mean. Price Peterson is mean in his reviews too, and idk, maybe you're trying to take after him, but at least he's actually funny. This review was really bad if you were trying to be funny, because of none of the jokes were even chuckle-worthy. If you can't even make people laugh, then you kind of don't have the right to be so negative.

And Jack is not chubby. And you're definitely in the minority for thinking making eye contact with him is akin to being held captive. I'm a girl too, but I cannot even relate to that line of thinking. And you come off a little biphobic for suggesting that it's homphobic to have bisexual characters instead of just gay characters...you should really avoid political correctness, cuz you clearly don't get what it actually means. And trying to be funny.

But I did read your post below to that hateful guy and I totally agree, and thought you were kind of eloquent. Civil rights is a moral imperative. As for "pastiche(s) of hurtful stereotypes" Tyler is definitely the classic depraved bisexual, but Nolan may be an attempt to balance that out. If they only had Tyler as bisexual it would probably send a message that you have to not care about people in order to feel comfortable sleeping with either sex. Nolan sends a message that you can be bisexual and not a terrible person, balancing that out. But I think it's also a little provincial to have labels like "gay storyline." Why can't it just be a storyline?
Resisting false claims of "civil rights" is the moral imperative.
Actually Nolan was pretty clear when he said he was "about a 3 on the Kinsey scale." I looked it up, and that means bisexual. Why can't it be a step forward to show two bisexual men on a tv show? It's not very common. I think, and Oprah agrees with me (lol) that sexuality comes in all shapes and sizes and in a spectrum, so I think it's definitely a step forward to a have a lovable male character be bisexual instead of just the classic "depraved bisexual."
I too thought it was refreshing and progressive to see a male character admit to being bi. That is never covered. Lesbians all the time, Gay males all the time, bi women all the time, but never bi men.
I love this show. To bits.

Question, though. I thought Victoria hated Lydia? So why was she all teary-eyed on her bedside, keeping her slightly-scathed body from Frank? I don't get it.
Staff
Victoria is supposed to be a villain with a heart, she betrayed Emily's father but really loved him, she hated Lydia for cheating with Frank but Lydia was still her best friend. As Victoria said in the episode, she and Lydia weren't that different, Victoria took Conrad from his first wife (REALLY hoping she comes in as a character) and she knew Lydia was going through a terrible divorce. I like that Victoria has this emotional side to her, it makes her evil side that much worse and Madeleine Stowe is skilled enough to make it work.
The switchup I want to see is Dr. Banks facing how she treated little Amanda for her own benefit once she realizes David Clarke was innocent.She abandoned professional ethics for her own gain,but she was not part of framing David and would have no reason to know he was framed...once she knows everything she did was based on lies she could be a REALLY dangerous enemy for Victoria.
I didn't see the Tyler and Nolan thing coming but afterwards it made me love Nolan (who is already my favorite character even more). I don't get it..so...if there weren't any gay characters it would be an issue, but if there are gay characters but they aren't saying officially that they are gay or making out before our eyes it's an issue? I thought it was perfect that they did it that way. Here's why. On The Good Wife one of if not my favorite character is Kalinda Sharma. Nolan has become a male Kalinda Sharma. They are sexually ambiguous characters who have no problem using their sexuality to get the job done. ANd yet they seem to do it in a way where you commend them rather than find it demeaning, degrading, or disrespectful. Isn't this what we want now? NO labels? No titles...to just...be? I think we focus too much on labels these days, we've done that for years. They've made a character that everyone can like and relate to and respect w/o putting a label on him to pigeon hole him. The point is to not have to focus so much on sexuality in general while still focusing on it. In the days where gay and lesbian characters are being rammed down our throats on shows in an effort to be edgy and make it statement more so then to just have decent stories and decent character it's great. Glee spends so much time reminding us that they have two gay guys, one closet gay guy, a bisexual girl, and a lesbian that they won't just let the characters be. The characters become their sexual orientation rather than a well rounded character. Grey's Anatomy spent an entire season ramming two lesbians down our throats at random moments in an episode just to look cool rather than making the writing and the characters themselves great characters. Then you have The Good Wife ,Kalinda Sharma is one of the most intriguing, enigmatic characters on tv. She sleeps with men, she sleeps with women, sometimes they show a same sex kiss or sex and sometimes they just elude to it....she does it all in this intelligent, smart, sexy way where she's doing it to both men and women just to get info or a job. When it's all done you don't know if she's gay, straight, bi or just sexually ambiguous and honestly most fans and the other characters don't bring it up much, acknowledge it or care, but she's the most fascinating character on the show because she's just that complex. Straight people love her. Gay people love her, Bi people love her, and they rarely raise a stink about her not depciting gays right, or her not being a straight person, you rarely even see a homophobic response to her character because even though she's been seen with girls and/or with guys you don't know what she is...and you don't really care. You're more fascinated over her drive to do her job and do it well. That's why the move with Nolan was so fascinating. I still don't know if he's gay, or straight or bi. He's sexually ambiguous right now, a grey area,and the one thing I am sure about and intrigued over is the fact that he will do what it takes to get the job done, he's sense of loyalty to Clarke is fascinating. The way he ended his convo with Emily saying that you can't con a con man...implying that he knew Tyler was trying to con him after picking up that he was lonely, but that he conned him back with going with it all and recording it, was so wonderfully ambiguous. They could touch on it again or not and it would still be just fine.

As for the rest of the stuff. It was a great episode. I happen to like Jack so I didn't find him so much pathetic as defeated. Declan was such an ass, he didn't look cool ranting at a table in a house he wasn't technically invited to, he looked like an idiot. I still dont like Tyler at all and I don't understand how Daniel still hasn't picked up (after all the crazy crap that dude has did) that this guy has issues. that part is unrealitic but I accept the fact that they need a character like him to add conflict...I just don't like this guy at all though. I don't think Frank is dead...that would have just been too darn easy. I think the real Emily Thorne is interesting and she is going to spice things up a bit because while I knew she wouldn't help frank out of her loyalty to Em/Amanda she also isn't going to her former mate for pure reasons either. She has an agenda. Most people usually do. Sorry...didn't see the lesbian vibes there, but then again I could be wrong, or you know...just one of those people that doesn't look to see romantic stuff between every character that interacts. I like that little nugget that Ashley may have an agenda of her own. She needs some more storyline, she's interesting and shows promise. Great show and great writing and this episode was just fantastic! I love all the developments. My only little thing is I wish Emily/Amanda treated Nolan better. She relies on the guy too much to treat him the way she does half the time. I mean he's the only one who has her back for the moment so at the very least treat him somewhat decent to keep things that way and stop ignoring, avoiding, and talking down on him except for those times when you need him. Perhaps because we all can see that the guy just wants a buddy, and the fact that Em/Amanda is so laser focus on things she disregards the fact that she could be his friend is a bit irritating. I get it on one hand, but her attachment to Daniel doesn't seem like just part of the plan either so why not make a friend in Nolan during the process.
Staff
This is such a thoughtful and well put comment, thanks for the response. To clarify, it doesn't bother me that the guys don't label themselves, as I said the fact they are having happy bedtimes on camera is cool enough for me. I was a little concerned that arch-fiend deviant Tyler had a big "gay" reveal, because repressed-gay psycho character type is a little homophobic, in my opinion. However Nolan is so beloved by fans I think it balances that out, and Tyler has room to grow as a villain the way Victoria has: as a three dimensional villain with motivations behind their shady dealings and regret and humanity. I also agree that Emily should treat Nolan better, their banter and friendship is always my favorite thing on the show. They've definitely gotten closer and friendlier, I think the distance she has kept him is the writer's way of showing us how truly prickly and distrustful and unemotional she is, but I look forward to her eventually cracking a smile at him.

Thanks. I try...I also try to ease it up on the fast typing and errors but alas that was riddled with a few. LOL! Now that you clarified that better, I do see your point. I suppose the reveal was last week when he tried to snuggle poor Daniel in his sleep and this week was just a clarification. LOL! He doesn't seem all that repressed though, not in general (which is probably why before your explaination I didn't get your homophobic comments), he may be repressed at the moment because it isn't in his best interest to express interest in guys with the Graysons but he seems opportunistic. Anyone with a computer could access his restraining order and google "Leslie" so it didn't seem like that big of a secret. I didn't see him as a repressed gay or bi psycho, so much as an opportunistic, psycho con artist. I probably would like him more if he weren't so damn crazy. I think they are trying to go 3dimensional with Tyler, but I'll never buy it. It was evident early on that he was all talk and was probably broke and somehow that doesn't make him redeemable because he's so freaking nuts. But I guess I couldn't see the sexuality issue in this show as an actual issue because for once they didn't seem to bring in Tyler or Nolan as the token gay or bi character who happens to be whatever. Instead both characters are a con man or a lonely billionaire and loyal friend to Emily who happens to be bi or gay.I like that for once their sexual orientation is an afterthought and not a defining factor of their character, they weren't built as a character around being gay or bi...being gay or bi just happen to get eased into their overall character. That to me is what made it so progressive and awesome. : )

I too am waiting for the moment when Emily can loosen up. I like their friendship/partnership. They are a dynamic duo. : )
More +
Oh, my! That was some interesting episode. It seems that things are starting to heat up. It was only a matter of time before Emily's revenge machinations would start to backfire. I think it could be very good concerning a second season.

I'm curious what Nolan will make out of his little private movie. I'd never thought that he could be kind of hot with all that Tilda Swinton going on! ^^

As for Daniel and Emily I don't think that she is really in love with him. When they were kissin on the porch swing the camera showed her hand clenching on the wooden armrest of the chair as if she meant to be clinging to Jack...

And with all this speculation of who will be dead at the end of the (Hampton's) season I just rewatched the beginning of episode 1. (Don't read if you don't want to know) The guy who has been shot looked a lot like Daniel although you never see his face. His sister seemed to recognize him and I had completely forgotten that Emily called him on his cellphone because he was AWOL. Jack kneeling over the body reaches into the inside pocket of his white tux and we see that Emily is calling this cellphone's number. It now seems to me that Daniel might really end up dead. Well, with Revenge you might never know for sure and that's what's absolutely great about this show. If it is the new Dynasty I can only hope that it will be entertaining us for a lot more seasons! :)

Tyler and Nolan is annoying, but that's because Tyler is one of the worst thought out characters on tv..

also, is Nolan's house the same house the Naomi and her sister lived in on 90210 a few seasons back before the show got even stupider and now is unwatchable?
Staff
I agree that Nolan is way out of Tyler's league. Also how infected was Tyler's forehead looking? The make up people when to town on that forehead cut. I am pretty sure the house is just a soundstage and it's probably the same soundstage.
There has to be fakery regarding the house,and I think it's connected with why all the people who visit come in from the porch facing the beach rather than a door facing the road that has to be on the other side of the house.I would believe that Jack or Nolan would use the front door instead!
Emily isn't really in love with Daniel. I don't think she wants to hurt him either though. The real Emily showing up was a twist. I figured Amanda just made up the name Emily Thorne. This is much more interesting!
this episode was good, the nolan/tyler relationship was unexpected and I feel bad for Ashley because she really likes Tyler and he's Tyler. I cant tell if Emily really is falling for Daniel or not but it makes things more interesting. I like the chemistry between her and Jack better. Can't believe the real Emily Thorn killed Frank with no hesitation. I think that was my favorite part!
The official site's recap said Ashley was "hiding her interest" in Tyler when she came across as resenting his interest in her...now she really does seem interested in him.I can't see why anyone would trust or be attracted to him.

Real-Emily's committing a murder is a complication real-Amanda will have to deal with.How does she protect herself without being an accessory?
LOVE this show. So GLAD it got the back nine order. It's just so much fun. And you're right, this episode was fantastic, and it really showed us what Tyler/Tilda Swinton can do as a villain for us.

-Nolan: Progressively sexy gay. Tyler/Tilda: Conniving. I think he would do whatever it takes to get the job done, and right now that involves subverting Emily's plans.

-I think Tyler will use her as much as he can, and again citing my previous statement, I think he will do whatever it takes.

-I don't know if she is in love or if that's more of an "I have to use him because he's a means to an end". I would believe in either one. She does seem to care more about him than she would absolutely need to. On the other hand, I think she's got something special planned for Victoria, and using the kids-- that's hard core.

-"Dynasty"?? I think you mean "DALLAS"!!!!!!! JR Ewing was the king of conniving.
I love the Nolan/Tyler thing. I don't understand how people scream and cry about all the gay characters being stereotypes, but as soon as a gay character is introduced that isn't a stereotype, people say it might be offensive. I think it's awesome that the villain is gay (or at least, sexually ambiguous?). I love Nolan. I hate Tyler. This show is awesome. The only thing I have a problem with is Frank getting offed. Max Martini is awesome.
Yeah this episode was pretty good really made me not even to change the channel during commercial since I didn't want to miss a single moment. I hope when this show unravels it's not gonna be some huge dissapointment.
Nolan is sooo committed to helping Emily/Amanda (now that the real Emily is here, this is going to get VERY confusing....) that he'd sleep easily with anyone I would say.... He's a '3' right (what scale is that??) - Anyway he's an awesome character with great abs... he can screw whoever he likes as far as i am concerned.... Tyler on the other hand.... he's a scheming bitter ass and he and that stuck up Ashley can be the next casualties of Revenge.....
It's the Kinsey Sexuality scale and it's used to describe a person's sexual history of his or her sexual activity at a given time. It uses a scale that goes from 0 (heterosexual) to 6 (homosexual). In Nolan's case, he said he was a 3 which is bisexual.
Loved the episode, but this episode was so over the top and campy it almost seemed forced. As for Nolan, he's not gay... you got that wrong! He said he was a 3 in the Kinsey scale of sexuality, which means he's bisexual.

As for the Dynasty comparison, you just can't compare Revenge in any way to it. Dynasty, was the ultimate pleasure, so over the top, campy and addictive and even better than Revenge. It just had so many classic moments.... Revenge, while addictive and fun is no Dynasty.
ok. ok. what the heck does campy mean?
It refers to intentionally exaggerated thematic or genre elements. "Camp" style willfully over-emphasizes certain elements of the genre or theme, creating an almost self-satirical appeal
Didnt particularly like the direction the Nolan/Tyler plot line took. I'm not sure I even understood the reason why they even did it. How does having a recording of their sexual escapades even really hurt Tyler except for his relationship with Ashley.
Lily,not all of us who like Revenge agree that acceptance of homosexual relationships is "progressive",and if you only want people who agree with you to comment you'll alienate a significant portion of your readers.(And I've heard all the baseless charges of "hate","bigotry",and so forth,and they're still nonsense no matter how often repeated).Try to be apolitical,OK?
I find it so depressing that three people took the time to give "thumbs up" to baldfaced bigotry. Hatred comes from somewhere. It's the fear of the other. I'll pray for you tonight.
Criticism of behavior and attitudes is not hatred or bigotry against persons.
That's true, but you weren't criticizing "behavior and attitudeds". You were criticizing people for being what they are: gay, Jewish, black, handicapped, etc. So you're saying we should "tolerate" and be apolitical of someone who is against Jews or disabled people equally? What world do you live in??
No,I am criticizing what people DO.A policy against being drunk is not hatred for alcoholics,however put out they may feel at insistence that they stay sober.If someone says all Jews are usurers,they can't help it because that's who they are,THAT is bigotry.Someone who says homosexuals CAN realize that being same-sex makes same-sex sex ridiculous is NOT bigoted against them,while someone who insists they are helpless slaves of their hormones IS thinking like a bigot.
Staff
Supporting basic civil rights isn't a political stance, it's a moral imperative. Analyzing whether a character is an original creation or a pastiche of hurtful stereotypes is part of my job as a critic. I suggest you try not to feel alienated if some people criticize you for attacking a suppressed minority group. It comes across as a little hypocritical.
I disagree that propensity for a behavior should be treated as qualifying people as a "minority group",or escaping censure that behavior deserves as a "civil right".The moral imperative is reinforcing threatened social pressures against yielding to bad instincts,and discrediting efforts to define people by those bad instincts.
We understand, loldude. You are saying you're BOTH a bigot AND uneducated. But you have to at least give people who know better the ability to enlighten you (or at least oppose you). : )
i wish that Daniel wasn't going to be killed at the end of the season. I like Daniel and Emily together! I don't know if they could keep him alive. Jack is nice but I like Daniel better.
Revenge is with out a doubt the best new show so far this season, great episode, I hope Nolan keeps squeezing Tyler, I wish they would develop a better arc for Charlotte, she is so cool
Oh Nolan, no wonder you want Jack to be your friend so badly. Well at least he's got something to hold over Tyler. I can kind of figured this episode would be the end of Frank the bodyguard. I do like that the girl Emily got her identity from will be sticking around a episode or two. Can't wait to see what kind of chaos she will cause.
Are you kidding me? TV.com censors the word homophobic? Wow, this system is homophobic!
It also censored my accented e in "cliche'", the system's clearly frenchphobic too.
Yeah, I have noticed that before too. Any kind of accents are banned. It really complicates my attempts at trying to sound intellectual by using fancy words, like e.g. French ones.
I wasn't so bothered by the somewhat soapy turns in the plot. When the story is otherwise handled well, it doesn't matter. You can find elements in all TV series which kind of resemble something which has been done in soap operas before.

But on to the questions:

1. I honestly don't even know what you mean by saying that the Tolan / Nyler thing might be homophobic or s step back. I think this kind of story line where two people get it on without forcefully labelling themselves is more progressive than anything. Nolan himself described himself as a "3" on the Kinsey scale. Since reality is that a large percentage of people are somewhere "in between", these kind of "sexually ambiguous" identities, as you describe them, are very true to reality. That should be the real step forward: a future where labels matter so little that people can do it together with whomever they want without anyone asking for a membership card for one camp or another. So two guys did it? Who cares how they define themselves?

2. I was a little surprised that Ashley turned out to be a little bit less of a nice girl. She was supposed to be the only sweet and innocent one in the game, apart from maybe Jack. I'm intrigued to see how far they take it. If she starts playing her own game, I sure hope she does it without Tyler.

3. I think Emily is conflicted. She has an old lingering crush on Jack, but is truly starting to feel for Daniel too, since he isn't as bad as the rest of his family. She feels bad because she knows she has to break his heart one day, if everything goes according to plan.

4. No. But hipsters are cool. I don't hate.

5. I wouldn't compare Revenge with Dynasty just because of a few similarities in the plot. Revenge is (or is supposed to be) deeper stuff since it borrows heavily from The Count of Monte Cristo.
Agreed.
Charlotte is the "sweet innocent",while Ashley is the quirky foil.
"Sexually ambiguous" in such a context stands for depraved bisexual, obviously. I mean, Tyler is the bad guy, Nolan's kind of sneaky... Feels so wrong. I'm so sorry. I liked Nolan. I don't like him suddenly being gay, doing stuff with Tyler, just to have leverage...

The rest was just perfect, it's as if the writers were reading last week's comments and decided to answer tons of questions all at once, mainly those about daniel's fate. Now it's clear that emily's never going to hurt him. She does love him. The close up on her hand tightening while kissing Daniel, isn't it tv clich for "i've got the hots for this guy"?
Others pointed out that she was gripping onto the swing JACK had worked on,and it was supposed to indicate her feelings for him that she did so even as she kissed Daniel...