Revolution, Go On, and The New Normal Earn the Season's First Full-season Orders

The power may be out on Revolution, but NBC hasn't turned the show's lights off just yet! Ryan King's wife may be dead on Go On, but his show is still kickin'! And The New Normal may feature one of television's worst new characters and exist mainly as a vessel for creator Ryan Murphy's personal views, but... it got picked up for a full season!

NBC, the network that started its 2012-2013 TV season early by premiering some of its new shows in August, made the first decisions regarding the fates of its freshman today by handing out full-season orders to three fast-starters: Revolution, Go On, and The New Normal. That means all three series will add nine episodes to their original 13-episode orders for a total of 22 episodes each.

Revolution, despite some pretty crummy reviews from yours truly, is a ratings hit in its timeslot behind The Voice, averaging a 3.6 rating in the adult demo and 9.8 million viewers. Go On is almost as beefy, with a 3.2 rating average and 8.6 million viewers per week. More confusing is the pickup of The New Normal, which is pulling in an average rating of 2.2 and 6 million viewers. Those aren't horrible numbers, but are they early pickup numbers? Nope. Look, I don't want to spread rumors, but I'm going to: That's the power of Ryan Murphy, who NBC probably doesn't want to upset in the name of keeping its options open for the future.

I'm guessing Revolution will start to fall dramatically in the ratings pretty quickly as the internet chatter has turned to groans, but the early numbers are no surprise for a mysterious genre show. Go On has exceeded my expectations in both ratings and quality, so I'm all for that. But The New Normal? What I've seen needs a lot of work.

Let's hear your thoughts on these pickups! What do you like? What do you hate?

Follow TV.com writer Tim Surette on Twitter: @TimAtTVDotCom

Watched The New Normal for the first time last night. I enjoyed it.
All 3 shows are the only shows I watch on NBC other than The Voice and Jimmy Fallon. All 3 are great shows. My number 1 out of the 3 would be Revolution. 2 being The New Normal(its freaking hilarious). And 3 being Go On. Like I said though all great shows.
It's great that Go On has got a full season i love that show, and even though Revolution has been kicked down to something i am gonna watch during my vacations, it is great too. But i just can't believe that The New Normal has been giving a full season or that a gay rights group hasn't made a protest at this show for that matter, to be honest i think Work It was less offensive than The New Normal.
Go On was my pick for tie-breaker. Should have gone with my second pick, Revolution. It only aired 3 episodes before the pick-up. I'm already bored with it, and I doubt it will get a second season, but seemed a sure thing for a full season order along with Go On.
In my humble opinion, I don't think Billy Burke would choose a bomb to star in after his major big screen success with the Twilight saga. So, stay tuned for the evolution of "Revolution"! ;) Peace, D.
Right, because Terra Nova worked out so well for Stephen Lang after Avatar.....
I think that Go On is definitely a winner, but I am also lukewarm at best on the other two. Go On is such a good show, and is really a breath of fresh air in the horribly stale sitcom genre. The actors and writers have such a fine touch that they can effectively balance the comedy and sentimentality that the show requires. I work late nights at DISH, so I usually miss these shows when they first air, but thankfully I can just watch them on Primetime Anytime. I love how my Hopper records everything on the four major networks during primetime and saves them a week, so I can catch up. I will keep watching all of them to see if this full season pickup changes how the show at all.
figures... I mean I like Go On but revolution and The New normal? gah... nbc I thought you were getting better as a network.
I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes of Go On but since then it has really Gone Off
It may be the power of Ryan Murphy, but NBC probably doesn't have a lot of choice. They have to hold on to anything resembling a hit. Thank goodness they do, or Community would have been gone a long time ago.
With yesterday's numbers just in it seems like NBC was premature with Go On and The New Normal renewals. Though I'm happy about Go On, because it's a really great show.
Regarding "The New Normal": it's no secret that NBC, and all its affiliates and corporate partners, are heavily to the political left. I think that's your answer.

I don't think I've ever seen a more offensive stereotyping of homosexuality, except maybe Kurt on "Glee" (which is weird, since the show's creator is gay, but go figure).
I can't believa that Revolution got a full pick-up! An I'm one of the people who wanted to like the show!
Surprising I'm curious how it will all work out...
Abit surprised it happened this early, but i had Go On as my tiebreaker in the Dead Pool because its a great show and its NBC. But I hated the New Normal, so i'm really sad to see it get picked up together with Go On.
I'm happy for Go On since it's actually funny, but Revolution only has one good spot for me and that's Miles. Miles is all I care about with that show.
Go On is funny I love Matthew Perry but I still can't shake Chandler Bing off my system when I hear him talk.
Go On is a fantastic show (to almost everyones surprise, I think it's fair to say) and defo deserves it's full season pick up.

The New Normal needs tweaking and a few alterations and it could be great, I actually thing The New Normal would of served better as a dramedy.

And Revolution, I didn't hate it but I can't be bothered to keep watching. I might wait for the first season to end and then play catch up.
I cant believe a really slow and predictable show like Revolution

got a full season and a fresh excellent show like Awake got canceled

after only 13 episodes
I want you to predict everything that will happen on Revolution right here, right now, so we can all save your predictions and compare as to how well you fared after the season ends. If it was as you said, then I'll admit defeat.
I can predict in the context of one episode when I see a start a direction I can pretty much see how the episode will end.like I knew the mother would be alive before we saw it
The minute Elizabeth Mitchell signed on as the mother, nobody thought she'd be dead and only appear in the flashbacks. That's more of a common sense than prediction. Miles being the founder of the new government was a total shocker though. Most of us were expecting him to have a fallout with Monroe before the Monroe Republic was formed. And Miles killing the two guys in cold blood, while Monroe was sympathizing with the killers was intense. Good drama there.
Yep. Everything Bran said. :)
Wasn't realy hard to predict
@toto: Awake was good until I found out even its creator didn't know what the hell was happening with the story and was just stringing us along. The show had fantastic performances which made the overall show good, but not that great or clever.
because we have seen the same all stories before Awake was different Awake was an intelligent program where you always surprised by the writing and the acting
fantastic news about Go On, loved the pilot and of course Matthew Perry. Even better about Revolution because I picked it as the first for a full season pick up in The Dead Pool!! :)
Me too. I knew that :"Revolution" would get picked up the moment I saw the trailer and JJ Abrams name attached to it. As for all the negative feedback.....well, it's coming a bit early, don't you think? Peace, D.
I'm very happy that Go On received a full season pick up. The show is really good and I'm glad Matthew Perry got another chance, he's just great.
I have to wonder if picking up Revolution wasn't so much a choice as it was a lack of options. Last year there were 19...count em 19 new shows that I tuned in for. This year (so far)...4, and I'm sorry but Revolution is least favorite of those four.
Bummer, I had Revolution as the first show to get picked up but changed my mind after I watched it. Eventhough I still thought it would probably get picked up I couldn't in good conscience support it as a show worthy of a full season. Happy about Go On and I find The New Normal unoriginal and awful.
I just plain HATE that Revolution deserved a pick-up for a full season, it's so UNFAIR to the shows that deserve it more! #almosteveryothershow Revolution will 100% fall in the nearest future. I don't understand the policy to pick up a show only because of its prominent creator. Yes, Kripke is awesome, but it doesn't change the fact that his new show SUCKS.

Very glad about Go On, indifferent to New Normal.
They picked it up because of the ratings, not because of the creator.
Awww crap I picked 666 park avenue as the first show to get picked up.

I honestly want to give new shows the old 4 episode tryout, but after just 1 viewing of The New Normal, I just did not want to see more. It's just awful. I've only watched one episode so far of Go On, but liked it. I plan to catch up "on demand". Have seen all 3 episodes so far of Revolution, but I don't know how long I'm going to stick around with this one. It's not really very good.
Thankfully Partners was readded to the Dead Pool as I was able to switch it in for The New Normal, but then I didn't have any of these 3 as my tie-breaker. Oh well. Can't say I'm surprised by Revolution getting a full season order. It was pretty much guaranteed a season, but I will be surprised if it gets a second. I haven't seen Go On, but it is on my list of shows to watch so I'm happy to hear it has a whole season. I'm baffled by The New Normal's pickup though. There's something wrong with the world. It just isn't funny. Thankfully I hadn't seen it before I finalised my Deal Pool otherwise I would have kept it there...
I never had a chance in the dead pool. I cannot for the life of me get a grasp on America's taste in things. Fifty Shades of Grey - ridiculous that it's the number one novel of all time and nobody with any taste thinks it's good. Unfortunately I watch the show before picking my dead pool and that's somehow wrong. I just watched the second episode of The New Normal and it's still AWFUL. Modern Family is so much better it's scary and yet many of you say it's not good. And Community is extremely hit and miss with emphasis on the miss. When it's good it's good but that's not all that often. Go on is pretty good but I thought Mr. Sunshine was better. What's wrong with me. People say they love Sci-Fi but then Fringe is on it's last legs and it's the best thing to come along in decades - and don't say Lost because it was over at season 5 with 6 being ridiculous and that ending was the worst of all time. Last year I made my dead pool selections exactly the same and selected stuff I thought was awful. Turns out I was awful and did poorly. I picked Whitney to fail for gawd's sake, what was I thinking just because it wasn't good? Revolution is tolerable, for now. The Event was awful but Flash Forward got good in the second half...but it was too late. I even know people who thought Alatraz was good. My neighbors watch as much crap as the can - Storage Wars, Hoarders and Pickers for example and other such nonsense. So I guess we get what we deserve...
There are a few tricks you can use to do OK in the dead pool. The most effective one is of course to wait as long as possible before you make your final selection, and check the ratings at tvbythenumbers.com. Another good tip is to not pick many shows from the same network, because if one of them gets canceled, other shows on the same network are less likely to be canceled than they were before.

I agree about Go On. I think it's a less funny, kind of depressing remake of Mr. Sunshine. Because of that, it was one of the first things I put on my dead pool. But when I saw the ratings, I removed it.

I agree about Lost. It was a long con. Worst ending of all time. Not primarily because of the afterlife thing, but because so many things (even more than before the episode) still didn't make sense.

People *here* say they love sci-fi, but we're the ones who are watching Fringe. Most people don't love sci-fi, and even if they do, Fringe has more in common with supernatural shows than with sci-fi shows. Even the terminology they use is more influenced by new age woo woo nonsense than by science. Another problem is that the show was pretty bad in the beginning. I can't really complain about it coming to end now. It got two more seasons than anyone who had seen its ratings could expect, and a proper ending.
More +
Ruining my dead pool here. I did have "Go On" as the tiebreaker, but changed it in favour of counting on NBC being stupid.
NOOOOooooo! I'm kicking myself because I totally just swapped The New Normal OUT for my pick of what gets picked up first. Ugh. I suck.
I love the New Normal! Way better than Modern Family.
I like all 3, REV im on the fence, just kinda iffy like walking dead/falling skies-something just doesnt seem right in this world!

New normal is a damn funny show, and makes the gay relationship much more palatable than, say, Modern families gay couple.

And I love mathew!!!!
you mean they make them completely ridiculous caricatures of a gay couple instead of treating them like normal people? ryan murphy is so gross and the fact people eat his shows up is so depressing.
Not surprised by any of these pick-ups, but I imagine that Go On will be the only one to return for a second season.
I kind of watch all three but the one I'm most supportive of is Go On.
well i got my tiebreaker but d'oh! The New Normal was one of my five.
I'm so happy that Go On and The New Normal got full seasons. Say whatever you want about the New Normal but I think its funny and a heart-warming show.
Go On is my tie breaker, as far as I remember, none of these are in my dead pool, and I actually like Go On to the point where I'm happy to see it get renewed. More or less indifferent about the others, even if I watch them too.
Just checked, The New Normal somehow made it onto my list during redrafts. Oh well.
This has no affect on the dead pool contest right?
Just the tie breaker, and even then only if nothing else gets a full pick up faster.
I can't believe how much networks are sucking up to producers. I know Ryan Murphy and J.J. Abrams are behind a lot of the television hits, but if they make bad shows, they don't deserve toe be watched, even though I'll probably end up seeing all 22 episodes of Revolution for some reason...
I don't know about the J.J. Abrams one... the rating for Revolution are good, especially by NBC standards. NBC may have jumped on upping it fast, but they pretty much need any hit they can get now. New Normal is a different story, that one does seem like sucking up a tad.

Then they shouldn't have canceled "Awake". That show was excellent!
Revolution is the highest rated freshman drama across all the networks. And at 10 pm, its just decimating everything in sight. So, I don't think NBC jumped the gun in renewing it so quickly.
Super excited about The New Normal being around for the entire season...could care less about the other too. Go On isn't funny and Revolution is boring.
Pretty pleased that 1) Go On was my tiebreaker and 2) It's a pretty frickin great show.
Pretty pleased. :D New Normal I personally enjoy watching, and Go On is a great show. Revolution I'm happy about because I took that off my dead pool at the last second. :D
I'm happy with all 3 of these - Revolution is goofy sci-fi fun, Go On is interesting and getting better, and my favorite New Normal is starting to find its footing - I loved the 4th episode "Obama Mama."
Oh wow, I totes had this in my Dead Pool picks for first pick up. Yay me! lol

I'm not in love with this show but I do watch it and I do enjoy it, especially the last 5 minutes or so. The majority of the ep can suck but I'll be dammed if they don't rock those last few scenes lol. It's just enough to keep me tuning in :)
What are you talking about?
Revolution.
This is the network that ordered MORE Whitney and LESS Community.
I can see why NBC wants to pick up Revolution for the season. It's getting better numbers than most of the shows NBC has come out with lately. And they just don't have anything to replace it with. But it's a stupid show. The seem to be very selective in their science and picking and choosing which technologies do and don't work. For instance, candles work but no steam locomotives? I just can't stand to watch a show that dumb. I suspect the ratings will fall over the year and they won't bring it back next year.
I agree with the first half of what you said, but what makes you think that steam locomotives don't work in this world? I may have to rewatch Google guy's speech in the pilot, but I think it's just technology based on electricity that has stopped working. Steam locomotives would probably work, if they had access to those, and were able to get them onto a track.

I think that something is changing the properties of metals, turning them from conductors into insulators. Now, there are lots of reasons why that wouldn't make sense in the real world, but if that's what's happening on the show, it's less absurd than it seemed at first. (It's still pretty absurd, but let's just pretend that the laws of nature are slightly different in their universe).
"candles work" ? Really?
I think the real stupidity is people who nitpick a shows 'Science' by providing absolute BS science themselves.

Say this show HAD steam trains... then you idiots would be complaining about those too. Honestly, people just love to complain when a genre show doesn't stack up to impossible standards.

All sci-fi shows are, in essence, filled with selective logic. That is just something you have to look past in the genre.

Also... candles? WTF??
Your core point is right. Those who nitpick are watching the wrong kind of show.
It would make sense to ask why candles work, if steam locomotives don't. (They probably do). The first press releases we read about this show said that all forms of energy have ceased to exist in this world. Clearly that's not the case, but if it had been, this would include candles.

I keep hearing that we just have to accept *any* selective logic that the writers chose to impose on their show, but I don't agree at all. I'm prepared to imagine that the laws of nature are different in the fictional world we see on the show, but I'm usually not OK with a world where the rules change all the time, depending on what the writers want them to do for the scene they're writing. I find it pretty irritating when people keep saying that we *should* be OK with it. If these things don't bother you, fine. Just don't tell us that they shouldn't bother us.

Revolution requires more suspension of disbelief from its viewers than any show I've seen. More than Fringe. Even more than Buffy. This is because the Buffyverse and the Fringe universes are pretty much magical fantasy places, but the Revolution universe is presented as if it's the answer to a "what if" question about *our* world. They're talking about technology that *actually exist* that's being disabled by some new technology.

My best guess is that for technobabble reasons (nanites, a babblon field, small-scale spacetime geometry distorsions), metals no longer conduct electric currents. I hope Kripke has discussed the options with someone who knows physics, and has made an effort to not make it any more absurd than it needs to be. The quality of the coming explanation may not be of any interest to you, but I'm already irritated by how bad I *think* it's going to be, and I know a lot of other people are too.
More +
Sorry but your the idiot, the op is right if they had fire(aka candles light) then they can have steam engines and every other form of electricty, The Industrial Revolution you know that small period in time that ushered in this present era actually was built on coal and steam
It would be fairly hard to build a steam locomotive with no good way to machine parts.

I'm still stuck on "where did all those swords come from?"
really dude? you're almost as clueless as the guy who wrote this piece. candles are not powered by electricity and just exactly how many steam trains do you think there are in modern day USA?
You are truly a bowl of Porridge. Revolution sucks even more than the event and 10 other shows put together.

Heck infact even flashforward seemed far better.
that's BowlOfPorridge dude, feel the Porridge
A little Google search tells me that there are 1770 steam powered locomotives that still exist in the U.S. today, including 59 in the state of Illinois (I am assuming that's where they are, since they walked to Chicago in about 10 minutes in the pilot). Some of those are display or stored, but if the world suddenly had no power, well you know what they say - necessity is the mother of invention. They would definitely find a way to put them in use in the first year of the power outage and not be without 15 years later. And that's not about science, it's about common sense.
oh Todd, sweet little Todd! Steam trains run on coal, where's the coal coming from? where are the operators coming from? also, the tracks would be clogged up with diesel trains that didn't work anymore and since they weigh a few hundred tonnes each then getting them out of the way might prove problematic. You could always push them with the steam trains you found on Google though, even though Google doesn't work in the revolution world.

ok, thanks, buhbye!
So which of these three shows is considered the "first" one for the tiebreaker? Or is it just any of the three?
I had the New Normal in my first pick up. Ha. Not that it is good overall. It is just the way NBC thinks. Congrats on Go On. Even though the last episode was a little Perry centric, it wasn't bad.
Stupid NBC (no shocker there). I had New Normal as one of my Dead Pool picks. I wonder if it can still be canceled? If the additional episodes don't air, they don't count, right?
You can't think rationally or logically when you are dealing with NBC. Y take a mediocre sitcom that is a little offensive in the wrong way and you have that you first pick up. Then you take arguably the best comedy on TV (Community) and you put it behind the stink fest that is Whitney on a Friday. You have to reorganize your decision making paradigm and go with what you wouldn't do. And then go from there. And that tends to be exactly what NBC would do.
Dammit, I had The Mindy Project in the dead pool as First Pickup.
Same here :/
And me.
dude, the new normal has been frequently funny IMO. and i had originally planned to skip it entirely.I like Go On well enough and am glad perry might actually have a show that sticks around ( i enjoyed his other one too though.)
Load More Comments