Revolution's Fall Finale: Stupidity Decelerated

Revolution S01E10: "Nobody's Fault But Mine"

Guys, you're going to think I've almost been shot by a bullet and hit my head on the ground and entered a dreamland, but I'm going to say it anyway: "Nobody's Fault But Mine" very well may have possibly been the best episode of Revolution so far maybe! But before we declare the episode the greatest story ever told, let's admit that going in, the bar was so low it was buried the center of the Earth. The series' fall finale was relatively good in that it wasn't horrible, and it represented a sizable step toward fixing everything that ails this adventurous mess.

The rapid descent into stupidity actually decelerated for the first time in something like eight episodes, and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" came in with a sober focus that was actually relevant to the immediate plot for a change. There were no hallucinatory tunnels, no fake prostitutes (okay, there was one), no Neverneverland full of boy-band orphans, and no canines with a hunger for human skin. This episode was no mere video-game sidequest, ladies and gentlemen. This was the final stage of the tutorial mission that signified the real beginning of the story, and it only took 10 episodes to arrive! Revolution calls this episode a "mid-season finale," but I call it an episode that probably should have happened six or seven Revolution hours ago.

What made the episode work was the way that one of the elements Revolution has been butchering all season long—flashbacks—finally came together finally. The use of flashbacks with relation to the episode's climax was a novel difference that really made it pop. Holy moley I'm actually talking about Revolution like it's an actual show. The relationship between Miles and 'Bas (Mr. Monroe to you) has become one of the most compelling aspects of the series (a distant second place behind the cause of the blackout), and for once, what happened in the past—particularly their bro chat in the graveyard—was entirely relevant to what was about to happen in the present. Even the stupid Instagram-filtered flashback of the two as kids added heft to their showdown!

Monroe pleading with Miles to come back smacked of the classic Eric Kripke accidentally homoerotic fan-fic fodder Supernatural has been so successful with. I mean, for a second, I really thought the two were about to embrace and shove their tongues down each other's throats during that final confrontation. But if we're at least picking that up on our gaydar, it means there's genuine characterization and emotion at play, two basic elements of writing that have been entirely absent from the series so far. I felt truly bad for Monroe; the guy sold his despair and confusion well and David Lyons should put that scene on his demo mixtape because it is by far and leaps and bounds and maybe by accident his best work on the show so far. And now we have a bad guy whose motivation we can finally taste and who isn't just that reject from The Cape. Monroe is an oversensitive lunatic who is making up for all the things that were taken away from him. Jesus, it took 10 episodes for this show to figure out that this is what we needed.

So that was the positive. "Nobody's Fault But Mine" still showed that Revolution is 90 percent aimless meandering, because the majority of the episode was a series of captures and rescues and joyless reunions. It went something like this: Charlie, Aaron, and Nora got captured; Miles rescued Aaron and Nora; Neville and his wife got stuffed in a closet; Charlie reunited joylessly with Rachel; Charlie reunited joylessly with Danny; Danny and Charlie reunited joylessly with Rachel; Rachel sort of got recaptured; Danny and Charlie escaped; Miles and Nora rescued Charlie and Danny; Miles rescued Rachel, Charlie, and Danny and Nora escaped; Rachel showed up and hugged her kids; Charlie, Danny, Nora, and Rachel escaped and reunited joylessly with Aaron; and Miles jumped through smoke and—rightfully—called Charlie an idiot.

It's Revolution's version of action, and there's nothing wrong with loads of action, but whenever I saw Luke or Leia go up against faceless Stormtroopers, I knew what was going to happen. The Monroe Militia is the most inept fighting force in the world, even with the advantage of having guns and cool brands on their wrists. Here's a tip: Instead of several captures and escapes, why not focus all the energy into one dramatic capture and one dramatic escape? Raise the stakes, add some evil to the bad guys, and give some badassery to the good guys.

The episode got close to doing that when Rachel took out Strausser, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that Strausser wasn't the maniac, Rachel was the maniac. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has Strausser been anything but talk since we first met him? I'm pretty sure that Rachel has brutally savaged more people than Strausser the Supposedly Super Evil Henchman. And dude, all your talk about being aroused and wanting to eat Charlie's peach is just gross. If you spent less time masturbating in your rape van outside of a schoolyard and more time torturing and killing people, your murder may have been a bigger victory for the show. Instead, it was just the removal of an annoying character who never lived up to his villainous potential. See ya, Strausser, enjoy being molested in Hell.

Which brings us to the end and the rise of the helicopter. As far as cliffhangers go for a show that's about to go on a four-month break, a helicopter being turned on by Rachel's pendant amplifier and bearing down on the group in the middle of a field where there's nowhere to hide is pretty weak. It seems more like something that would work better as the outro to a commercial break. Personally, I would have preferred a subtler tactic, like Monroe putting the amplifier in the helicopter and turning the thing on with the group hearing the whirlybird fire up. That leaves a lot more to the imagination and would have achieved more of the "Oh fuck!" the show was going for. Instead, what we got was an abrupt cut in the middle of an action sequence that we all know will end fine. I don't want to spoil anything, but I'm pretty sure that when Revolution returns a third of a year from now (*IF* WE RETURN, SAY THE DOOMSDAY MAYANS AND THE IMMINENT POISONOUS MOLE PEOPLE REBELLION) Charlie and company will run away. Cliffhangers on a show where we know our heroes won't die (and yes, this show is done killing off main characters for a long time, Maggie was it) work better when they aren't all about our heroes being in danger.

So there you have it. Revolution served up one of its finest moments just before it goodbye for almost half the time it takes to make a baby. But in addition to the challenge of staying on the right path, something I'm still not confident the show can do, there's still a lot it needs to improve on. Chalk up "Nobody's Fault But Mine" as a minor victory for Revolution, but honestly I prefer the weekly train wreck full of hallucinations, log bombs, and floppy-haired tough kids.

NOTES

– Early on, the episode went out of its way to point out that Charlie's head was still bleeding and she needed help. Then it totally ignored that fact. It's these little details thrown in for no reason that I love.

– A better cliffhanger for the episode would have been a wide shot of the closet Neville and Julia are stuck in, with Neville saying, "Helllllo! I have to go to the bathroom! Is anyone out there?"

– Just think how much the show would have changed if Rachel spent less time staring at Miles and slapping him and more time grabbing the pendant that Monroe will use to rain down Hellfire on the innocent people of the country. C'mon, Rachel, you had a chance to stop the next horrible Holocaust and instead you chose "What did the five fingers say to the face?"

– Jeremy Baker (Mark Pellegrino) to Miles: "You're like a bad penny." I don't know if that really makes sense, but dammit I love that line. Baker is easily the best of Monroe's men. Yes, even better than Neville.

– Why did Miles leave the group initially in the first place? I know the writers wanted to find a way to separate Miles from Charlie, Nora, and Aaron so he could save them later, but they couldn't even bother to give us a reason for Miles to be roaming the streets of Monroe-Milita-infested Philadelphia? Thumbs up, writers!

– More talk about the scarcity of the bullets, and then tons of bullets fired.

– Another advantage the Monroe Militia has: Holding people at gunpoint looks a lot cooler than holding people at swordpoint.

– Rachel's decision to save either Miles or Danny was the ultimate Sophie's Choice, except the opposite. I wanted both of them to die so badly!

– Housekeeping: I may or may not be back to review the rest of the season when it returns on March 25. It's so far off, I could be dead by then. But if I do survive the Mole People Uprising, we may also recruit another writer to cover it.

No! I love your reviews, Tim, don't stop! This show is awesome AND terrible at the same time, and reading your recaps just drives it home.
Amen.
I quite like this show to be honest. It's silly, sure. But it's also charming. :-)
@Tim Surette
Haha I love that this show got renewed for other season . I like this show . Mebbe they should get a better writer to cover this show since you got a hard on for this show . hahah too funny ,The numbers dont lie
I don't see a clear line of thinking for the show right now: Rachel is motherly or brutal at the whim of the plot, Danny has asthma attacks or not depending if its convenient, Miles had an affair with Nora or Rachel depending on the episode and Aaron has a crush on either his wife or Charlie depending on the day.

Add Charlie's ever changing combat skills for, what's supposed to be, the sheltered daughter of a postapocalyptic farmer and stepdaughter of british Doc (by the way, why Danny didn't question them about Maggie? He get along with her just fine in the pilot) and I'm not very confident when it comes to the big things like the pendants, the helicopters or the Monroe Republic.
I don't see you thinking clearly. Almost no flaws on part of the show here. Like none at all.

Rachel does whatever she needs to ensure the survival of her kids. That's a basic human nature - protecting your offspring. Danny hasn't had an asthma attack since the pilot. Whatever he may have had after that scene may have happened behind the scenes or not at all.

Miles - So, you've never heard or seen people having relationships with different people at different points of their lives? About Aaron. You must be high and just trolling around.

Charlie's combat skills haven't changed since the pilot. She hunted animals before and is adapting.

Wait... How would Danny know that Maggie was with them if Charlie didn't have enough time to sit down and talk with him with all that was happening?

As long as we're saying aloud what we think (quite frequently and repetitively, if I may add), I'm very confident about the main plot.
Those of you who remember the pilot episode can agree with me that Charlie hunted for post-cards from different cities, not animals. It was well established this was only an excuse for her to leave with Danny (an excuse Tom never bought the way Aaron did).

And the point was brought up again when Miles told her the world was not a pretty collection of post cards, right before she broke them on camera. Since this reply is so completely wrong about Charlie, you can understand why I don't need to delve in the other characters.
This comment has been removed.
i acutally think the ending was a good o fuck moment. The question is where does the show go from here? I mean they have danny and rachel, are they going to do aharry potter and search for the rest of the necklasses??

The question also goes for the future of the series...what more will they do?
Oh, but I *love* your reviews, Tim! They're more entertaining than actually watching the show! Assuming the world is still here next year, and the Powers That Be don't pull a Terra Nova on us, I for one sure hope you're back to entertain us with further Revolution insights...

BTW, does anyone else think the basic premise of this show steals rather blatantly from SM Sterling's Emberverse series?? Of course, we haven't seen the Evil Medieval Re-Enactors or the Good-Guy Pagans yet, but give them time...
No. As far as I've heard from those who read the series, SM Sterling's world doesn't even have any working steam machines. Don't worry, even if you give them enough time, there won't be any good pagans and medieval bad guys on the show.
This comment from FringeFanatic requires more views. As some have already said, its the comment of the year:

Take a bow, guys! VINDICATION! You've been championing this show through some pretty tough times. I gotta say, it looked pretty bleak. Gaping plot holes, inconsistencies, bad writing, bad acting and "insert criticism here" really made your task a thankless one.

But you made it! WE made it! From the worst episode of oxygen deprived, hallucinogenic stupidity (apart from Miles's hallucinations, which added to the story), to by far the best episode of the show! WOW! Even Tim wrote about it with begrudging respect. That's a huge win for the Revolution supporters.

This was a very solid hour of television. Haters can hate (oh, how they love to hate!), but even their criticism has been muted by a stellar midseason finale.

As Tim wrote, the best and most interesting aspect of Revolution has become the oh so complicated relationship between Miles and Monroe. The flashbacks were both emotionally poignant and directly relevant to the story. DID I JUST WRITE THAT?! Why, yes I did. Dare I say they reminded me of LOST? Ridicule me if you must, but LOST was the master at using flashbacks as a means of justifying character motivations, and Revolution took one giant leap in the right direction with Monroe's tortured backstory. Goddamn Harry Potter! The boy who killed. I think losing your family to such trivialness would hurt even more. David Lyons performance in this episode was the strongest acting I've seen on Revolution to date. They were brothers, man! Them against the world. I felt for Monroe, I really did. Miles saved his life and was the only family he had in this world. Part of me wanted Miles to just throw down his gun and hug it out with Munroe (settle down gaydar watchers). If you think about it, imagine all the good Miles could do from inside the Militia? He could rein in Monroe's clearly psychopathic tendencies. Maybe even try to get the Militia to NOT kill innocent people. You know, baby steps. But instead he's like, "You're nothing to me." OUCH! That hurts. Villains are always better when they're not cardboard cutout evil. If a show can make you sympathize with the "bad" guy, they've done a good job. And I sure as hell sympathized with Monroe in that moment. I didn't really understand Miles's completely cavalier attitude towards a guy he grew up with and once considered a brother, but I guess it all can't be perfect. He said something like "You're too far gone", but I wanted something ... more. I don't know. I'd like to see why Miles left the Militia in the first place. Can you say SEASON 2?!

The rest of the episode was exciting, repetitive, but exciting. Charlie has stepped right into her BAMF shoes. (Miles is definitely rubbing off on her ... why does that not sound right?) Did you see the look on her brother's face when she knocked that Militia dude out? If his eyes could talk they'd be saying, "Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn!" Your big sis has grown up Danny! You'll probably be competing with Aaron in the most useless character department. Who am I kidding? Aaron OWNS that department.

I was also intrigued with the scene between Rachel and Miles. A few have wrote that there is some URST there, but I think it's more than that. I think Miles may have already tapped the MILFgineer. That should complicate things. Oh, and am I the only one who thought Strausser repeatedly raped Rachel judging by her final words to him? He still wasn't a very convincing evil psychopath, but that at least makes him more maniacal than Rachel. And it makes her killing him a bigger win. Go Rachel!

Now before I sum up this extremely long, self-indulgent comment, I would like to take a moment to defend the Monroe Militia. QUOTE: "The Monroe Militia is the most inept fighting force in the world." I don't know about that, Tim. Have you ever seen a James Bond movie? One guy basically takes down entire armies. At least Revolution's rag tag group has power in numbers (as in, more than 1). I know James Bond is the most elite super spy ever, but they've painted Miles in a similar fashion. He's the best of the best AND he's got a demolition expert ... and Charlie ... c'mon, she's getting better! Pretty much every action/adventure TV show and movie you watch the main characters inexplicably overcome impossible odds. Bullets very rarely hit their marks. This is not a Monroe Militia problem, it is a "bad" guy problem. Evil fighting forces generally suck at aiming. This is a FACT.

In summation, I really liked this episode. I hope Tim continues to review Revolution (he's hilarious and he keeps this at times meandering show honest). And March 25 is too long to wait to see if our beloved group escapes the menacing 'Copter (they will, won't they?!).

Oh, oh, and I just found out Tracy Spiridakos (a.k.a. Charlie. a.k.a. Idiot) is Canadian! I love her entrancing eyes and manic smile even more now!
I think after getting a break from this on again-off again (but mostly off) series to review the fourth season of Justified (which is ALWAYS on), coming back to tripe would seem like pure torture.

I mean, it was torture for me to catch up on three episodes. I'm sure at one point, I completely zoned out during the tunnel adventure, because I honestly had no clue who that militia turned undercover rebel was or where he came from. I came to after he took Miles hostage and I was left scratching my head... It's kinda sad, wanting to like a show, but never getting a chance to, because the acting (DIE CHARLIE, DIE!) is horrible and the writing is horrible. Especially when the plot is GOOD. A ragtag group of people facing off against a post-apocalyptic regime, with so many twists and turns that could be turned into television gold, and it's all just flushed down the toilet.

Supernatural was great, Fringe IS great, and yet, the minds behind them both failed to come together and create something amazing. I'd want to jump ship too.
Having given up on the show itself, I look forward to your cryptic critique each week. But as I writer I can imagine you'd like to turn your skills to some meaningful criticism instead of shooting fish in a barrel.

The helicopter bodes ill in terms of anything creative actually coming of the great energy mystery. And Rachel's character is way to shallow to have pulled this off believably. Oh, yeah. This is truly bad fiction. I forgot.

Again, I am pained at the lost opportunity. Those of us raised in the atomic age who remember having to hide under our desks for those nuke drills have always wondered how me might survive apocalypse. And this show could have been a contemporary twist on such a future.

Happy December 22!
I think the pendants are most stupid macguffin since the Impala from Supernatural and even I believe it was stupid of Rachel not to grab it on her way out
It won't take any Mayan prophecies turning out to be true or Mole People to keep me from continuing to watch this show ...
seriously. Rachel had SO MUCH time to take that stupid pendent. How did she not think about it? I hardly believe miles could have been THAT distracting.
When did she know that Miles would actually come to rescue them and be successful at it? Also, Monroe has two pendants. And Rachel had just killed her abuser and Miles walked in. Before she could anything more than slap Miles, Jeremy waltzed in. That scene was good.
I think that scene would have been more tense and exciting if Rachel had to decide whether to attack the man that "gave her up to the bad guys", OR save the pendant - similar to her having to decide which of her children to save.

This along with Neville's son. Neville too for that matter but perhaps in later episodes.
The decision was not between Miles and Danny, but between Charlie and Danny. Just to show how Tim was paying attention.

He also missed the chance for the best Katniss joke so far into the season (and I really thought he was going to mention that), when Charlie resolved the so-called Sofia's choice by shouting (paraphrasing her):

"I volunteer!"
I just want people to know that the other show which uses long-term flashbacks - Person of Interest - as long as 11 years, and through all of it, none of the characters look younger or have different hairstyles or different dressing sense. Just had to throw it out there.
Oh, I just remembered another one. In Once Upon a Time, they showed an episode with Jennifer Morrison wearing a pony tail and glasses, and behaving a little retarded. To me she looked like a stoned sexy librarian in her 30s. But then I realized she was supposed to be a teenager there... OK, they tried, but it was totally unconvincing.
See, when they try to make them look too young it gets really funny. But Morrison as a sexy librarian! Hubba hubba!
In Arrow, Oliver, in order to hide his magnificent best-character winning torso (doesn't anybody take these polls seriously anymore?) appears wearing a long-sleeve shirt buttoned up to the neck, because of course that's how you'd dress on a tropical island.

What about American Horror Story when Jessica Lange appears 16 years "younger" at the time she was "young and sexy" (yikes!) drinking and sleeping around with many men? I mean, in that case they try to characterize her as different with her wearing makeup, red lipstick, loose hair, but still looks like an old crone trying to look younger.

I think the only way this kind of trick can look effective is by using expensive CGI, like Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy, and that's way above a TV show's budget. Or maybe we, viewers can start using our imagination to fill in the blanks.
All fine points. When people raise such annoying faults, its hard to take them seriously. I think Arrow does a good job with the look, aside from the long-sleeved shirt.

AHS was particularly hilarious in trying to make her look young by putting on lipstick. But, I refrained from saying so because its the amazing Jessica Lange.
Yes, Jessica is amazing, but if you compare her to the times of King Kong, she's a totally different person now. Age does that to people. You improve in some aspects, get worse in others.
Me too. Aaron's bear was always there, no one stopped wearing glasses, cut a longer hair, or went grey in the last 15 years.
They have a bear too? Is it polar? Gosh, is Revolution that desperate trying to imitate Lost? Hey, wait, maybe it's Wilfred's bear.
This comment has been removed.
it still drives me nuts to have them going to flashbacks 10 years into the past and they dont look any younger. I wish i could age 10 years without any wrinkles on my face.
I don't get what you (and other people who keep saying this) think they should have done differently. Miles looks about 45. Would you have hired a different actor to play him at age 30? What about the flashbacks to 10 years ago? Then he was 35. Do you use the 30-year-old actor or the 45-year-old actor? What if they flash back to 5 years ago?
There's little and cheap anti-aging things actresses use that are hidden by their hair. They're kind of similar to hair extensions, except they're elastic and glue to the skin, which is hidden by the hair. Using these, along with make-up and hair extensions are often used to make actresses younger in flashbacks. However I suspect this show knows they're walking a "cancellation tight-rope", so are probably trying to keep a tight budget in order to get another season.
They're all dead after everyone's "lights went out," and this is a literal form of purgatory. After someone discovers a hatch, we'll find out that everyone who liked this show wasted 6 years of their life.
As opposed to someone who didn't like the show, but still watched it, made a very productive use of their life?
That there sounds like a judgement :-P

That part of my life was better spent watching netflix as opposed to the drinking and money-spending I would have done otherwise.
Movies *hiss*
Because of copyright limitations, TV shows are not included in our version of Netflix, just movies. Well, yeah, I have the option of movies, but I'm not a big movies fan.
Is that lucky? Is it not available where you're at? Not terribly expensive.
Well, lucky you that you have the option of watching Netflix.
It's cuz of people like you who apparently didn't pay any attention to Lost especially the last season that there are all these "The ending sucked they didn't explain anything" comments when they explained everything throughout the final season. It amazes me that people were expecting "In the final episode of Lost the island is simply..." I'm only gonna say this once, They were ALIVE throughout the entire show! The only time they were dead was in season 6's flashsideways which was the form of purgatory NOT the island, EVERYTHING actually happened!
People like me, eh? Sigh. Lost fans are an interesting bunch.

I was referring to Season 6. It was also a bad, and I thought blatant, hackneyed metaphor I tried to fit in the Revolution narrative.

The only thing I'd take back is saying it was a waste of 6 years, because season 1 was pretty great.
What I got from all that is you misunderstood a few key things either by your own accord, or because I wasn't clear enough. I'll accept the latter in the interest of moving forward with what I was able to glean from your strange wordings:

I have no issue with mysteries.Obviously they can be an integral aspect of some shows. I find it funny that you take the time to build up to a point, only to say "that is how ALL of shows in the sci fi/ mystery shows are!" Well yeah. As long the genre is sci-fi/MYSTERY, I'd be willing to bet the mystery angle would be important. Allow me to offer another example; Battlestar Galactica.

Yes, it had it's questions. But you can't tell me that it was a question-driven show. It was sci-fi through and through that utilized the big questions very well. Furthermore, I think it's ridiculous to add the tag "mystery" to a sci-fi show that doesn't include a death, a theft, or a murder. Murder She Wrote was a mystery. Columbo was a mystery. Elementary is a mystery. Lost was not, it merely witheld information. There is a distinction there.

With regards to Awake, and correct me if I'm wrong, up until the last few episodes Michael Britten was ignorant to the notion that someone else was involved in the car crash. Tim wrote it in one of his reviews of the second episode as the episode ended, the scene with the two district captains sitting in the park discussing the car crash was most likely a network decision to boost viewer intrigue at the cost of story quality (at least in the pacing sense). And a lot of people agreed, it felt completely tacked on. The show did not need the car crash mystery, in my opinion. It could have remained as it was, and to its credit, maintained the ambiguity at the end.

The difference is the aim of the show. Lost marketed the "big questions." It massaged the hell out of so many pointless "mysteries" the show, to me, completely jumped the shark from its maiden series. Awake, on the other hand, never made so many grand gestures. Sure, it was centered on the paradox of multiple universes, but that was used more as an abstract character than anything else. Those who wanted the answer to that question weren't watching the right show. How Michael Britten negotiated his supernatural circumstances was the key.

I hope this makes sense...

More +
I couldn't reply to your most recent comment for some reason so I am doing it here.

Ok first if you felt that Lost, or any other show for that matter, went downhill after a certain season like Lost is your opinion and nobody can tell you otherwise, and vice versa. I just wanted to clear the air if you thought I was doing that I wasn't.

But than there's this, I have heard of people complaining that the main story arcs/mysteries on tv shows are not progressing. But I have to say I have never heard of complaining that the story lines are progressing, and only because of some unnecessary "need" to continue the mysteries. So by saying that you will watch a show that gets started and will have mysteries and you will like them but once things get moving and answers are given because the creators and writers of shows don't want to continue or even have mysteries in the first place that makes shows suck? Hate to break it to you pal that is how ALL of shows in the sci fi/ mystery shows are! we are presented with characters, story arcs pertaining to them and other situations, and as the show goes on we learn more and more until the stories complete. What would be the point of watching any shows like that if there never was going to be answers to the mysteries? nobody would watch them.

As for you comment about Awake, a show I watched as well and thought was brilliant, first your saying that the show should have just had it been the dream world switching and how the cases pertained to each world, but not have the cop try to figure out the car accident and how and why it's happening? Do you think that the writers don't really care about what their show is about and only plan and write their arcs cuz they feel they have to but don't want to?, and that the fans don't really care and have forums and talk about theories about what they think? You than go on to say that thankfully the show ended on it's own terms "preserving it's beautiful ambiguity", which would mean that it ended in a way with questions answered about the mystery/conspiracy and also opened new doors which means it ended being about the mystery which you claim to hate. You have basically said that you hated the mystery and think the show could have been better without it, but you are happy it ended being all about the mystery, that right there is a huge contradiction in terms.

More +
Not a Lost fan. If you really want to mince words with me, I'll say I'm a Lost season 1 fan. Everything afterward, explanations included, was fluff and not worthy of the exceptional story-telling and development of the first season. There were maybe one or two interesting episodes afterward, but nothing so cohesive and humanely profound. I'd blame it on the need to push the mystery.
I myself don't need answers. Drop characters into a supernatural world and watch them dance. That's all. I refer to Awake often when I bring up this concept. The show could have been so much better (procedural aspects notwithstanding) if the conspiracy angle (mystery) was dropped. Thankfully, they got to end the show on their own terms, and preserved all the beautiful ambiguity.
Yes Lost fans are interesting, and by you saying that you watched all of and at least liked some Lost also makes you a fan so don't sigh at me a if you aren't part of the "interesting bunch" as if I'm shouting nonsense. I'll admit I went a little overboard there with the "people like you" thing, however there are sites you can google that give all the explanations to every season from the producers themselves who say that what I wrote is right especially the ending. And I got that you were using Lost as a metaphor in comparison to Revolution thank you.
The Flashback to the war 5 years after the blackout was one of the best parts of the show yet. They should have just made Revolution about that, instead of skipping over the best parts, into 15 years later. Its lame.

They could have spent the first half of the season going from the blackout, to 15 years later, so that we might actually care about the characters.
Im the type of person that does not give up on a show so easily, but i agree that a show about all the event right after the black out (like the war 5 years after) would make for better tv
Nobody would blame you for giving up at this point. Trust me, it hasn't been easy.

My thing about that scene was, apart from not really showing much of the battle, was the mention from Monroe to Miles about the rationing of bullets. Okay, so they're still shooting willy-nilly, but Miles is supposed to be a general. Or at the very least, higher in command than Monroe. How did he not know?

However, I second that the flashbacks remain the more interesting part.
Has anybody discussed how a helicopter that has been sitting for 15 years with stale fuel, can suddenly be turned on and fly without any problems what so ever. wouldn't the engine be seized or something, and even if they did get it working, im sure there would be smoke coming out of it and the engine should sound like its struggling to keep the thing in the air. Just a thought
Sta-Bil or ethanol handles the stale fuel. The engine would not necessarily be in bad shape, in fact, an engine can't seize unless you try to run it which they couldn't do. Or they could have drain it of oil and put in fresh synthetic. I'm sure someone today wouldn't fly it under these conditions, but it is plausible that it could have been prepared to fly just fine.
You make an interesting point. Flying those hazardous helicopters would be a suicide mission, but I don't think Monroe and his lieutenants would worry about the pilot's life. Except that such pilots would be in a short supply...
Just because they couldn't turn it on, doesn't mean they couldn't work on them, and have them ready.

or You're right, and the thing crashes next season, and that is how they get away.
Im not sure what type of fuel a helicopter uses, but normal petrol only has a shelf life of about 6 months to a year, after that it may still burn but not as well as it should. Diesel however lasts longer but i would think after 15 years it would be less combustible.
How about, who's flying the damn thing? I swear, if when that pilot lands (or crashes, like Doctor said) it's not someone who looks older than Miles, we got issues.

I'm no pilot, but I can't imagine flying a helicopter, much less that particular one (for any pilot) is like riding a bike. There's a few more buttons and doohickeys.
I think we can all agree that this episode was by far the best, which for some reason made the show worse. When the show sucked ass it was easy to look past the gigantic plot holes because it was part of the charm of the show. But now it's like what if the show becomes good. Then what about the plot holes. They'll suddenly stand out like Charlie standing on the stage holding an Emmy. It suddenly dawn on me that the premise that is "what if all the power went out" doesnt hold a candle to its flame. The premise is just too impossible. It's physics 101. Even the human brain runs on electricity for gods sake. I mean there are a lot of shows you have to buy in to premises that are impossible like Star Trek or Star Wars and they're some of the biggest franchises ever. But this one I just can't seem to get past. This is fundamental particle physics. Come back crappy show we need you!

Ps. Am I the only one that is baffled over this so called amplifier. How can you amplify something without something to amplify with?
We don't know how the electricity is disrupted. We know that lighting still works too. On NBC there's a "page" of Aaron's journal where he's wondering about living organisms as well and specifically about eels. So I am willing to give them the benefit of doubt until they come up with a clearly impossible explanation (like the oxygen stupidity).
Any explanation they come up with will be as impossible as the reason for the undead walking. I'm not holding breath for both of them.
I seen you make this argument a few times, and I think it's worth it to mention, zombie apocalypse isn't exactly the same thing. The moment you say "zombie," it's pretty much a requirement that one suspends disbelief. Revolution's negation of electricity doesn't necessarily fit the same bill. Not just because it's apple and oranges, but because one has literally forged its own genre since the 60's. These two things simply cannot be compared.

However, I rest in the camp that believes the supernatural needn't be explained (e.g. Awake probably only because it got cancelled, but oh well.) Something tells me, though, that Revolution is going to seek to answer the question, and like you, I am not holding my breath.
Awake worked well as a human drama set in extraordinary circumstances. This was done a hell of a lot better than these other two shows (though TWD isn't that bad this year.)

You could tell, the moment the network execs were thirsting for an explanation, those scenes with the obligatory conspiracy background made things shittier. It was about the family. No explanation was necessary.

However, Revolution touts itself as a story centered around a mystery, and though you'll disagree, fails to capture true human emotions (no, crying and wanting to be with your brother doesn't count just 'cause it's written in the script), or even any temptation of originality.

Yes, it's all bananas. But the stories of Awake and TWD do not require an explanation nearly as much as Rev does. Remove the pendants, remove Grace and the other dude, and focus on the so-called revolution, then yes, neither would it matter for Rev.
No, its all bananas.
U think Awake shouldn't have explained itself... Alright then!
Absolutely any explanation is clearly impossible.
There remains neural networks in every mammal's brain. Electrical impulses supporting memory, thought, speech, coordination, sight, sound. The lack of electricity is a very peculiar one in this universe. They're gonna need to come up with something more clever than an upper echelon EMP to meet the demands of the more scrutinizing viewer.
Yes. Because electric current transmission in metals is so similar to neural network impulses /sarcasm Also, you only gave a plausibility and now you think they shouldn't use that. Lol.
I didn't offer a plausibility, and electricity is electricity. It's going to be up to the brilliant writers to explain why only one conductor no longer works, while the others still do.
This comment has been removed.
This comment has been removed.
Well if you decide not to continue reviewing this show and give it to someone else, Thanks Tim for the reviews in the first place.
Heh, this show tends to give me the giggles. Sometimes in a good way, more often in a bad way but hell, it's entertaining even if it's bad.
I was not understanding why Charlie was so cold to Rachel. Is it the whole abandonment thing? But still, wouldn't she have jumped for joy for at least a minute knowing she had one living parent?? That was weird, even for Charlie.
I like Charlie's bad-ass moment, swinging that grate on the guard to free herself and Danny. Mayhap her best moment of the season?
I totally expected (ok fine, wanted) to hear Bass say to Miles "is this where we break up?" during that entire scene. It just felt like it would have fit perfectly lol
Aaron, oh useless one. Can't strike a match but can strike flint? Aaighty....
I'm guessing Rachel and Miles had something shady romance thing going because that had a whole scorn lover feel to it when she slapped him. Although the reference to Charlie asking if he hurt her was kinda weird too. And really, not stealing the pendant back after killing Strusser was just bad thinking....

P.S. - Tim, you have to be back writing for this! I won't enjoy the reviews nearly as much if it was anyone else!!!
You missed the episode where they did a flashback showing young Charlie and her mother leaving them. She got so angry that she ripped up all her postcards. Her being cold to her mother is not surprising in anyway.
No I saw that but considering they thought Rachel was dead, I was still anticipating at least an "omg you're alive" moment before she remembered how pissed she was that Rachel left them. Given that she thought Danny and Miles were all that she had left with her dad dead and then Maggie, I just didn't expect that type of reaction right off the bat
For the record this is an updated alternate version of a review I already posted weeks ago but it's still relevant, so before anyone wants to bitch at me about it well that would now be pointless

"This show sucks cuz blah blah blah" How about you watch the show instead of just looking at it with a pen and paper ready to write down every B***h and nitpick.? Plus you all already made these same exact complaints on The Walking Dead have seen alot of people saying they downright hate this show, but if you really look at these comments you will notice two things. 1. All of the comments have at least one or more of these "reasons" why the show is so terrible. and 2. ALL of the bitching and nitpicks you will find similar to those on negative reviews of The Walking Dead

1. the power going out doesn't make sense it sucks. 2. They have clean clothes and are clean themselves that doesn't make sense.it sucks 3. Charlie is annoying.it sucks 4. They do stupid things 5.Nothing is happening the show is going nowhere it sucks. Ok first i just want to say how about somebody write a real reason why they think the show is bad instead of nitpicking? Ok for 1, it's Science friggin FICTION! It doesn't have to make sense it's a show it's FICTION and the way tv shows work is eventually you find out how and why it happened. 2. OK so in 15 years you really don't think human beings could figure out how clean themselves on a planet that the majority is water? Or learn to sew? Clothes can be kept a long time and they didn't just disappear so why do you think we'd end up in loin clothes again? 3. Whether you think it's the actress, who is young and like many actors need several episodes before they become comfortable with their roles. Or the character try living in a closed off area of the world most of your life, thinking your mother is dead most of your, see your father die, have your brother kidnapped, have to ask for help from an uncle who is a stranger and doesn't give a shit about anything, and have your stepmother also die in front of you. Have all of that happen to you and than tell me that you would be cool, you wouldn't make any mistakes or be niaeve, And if you say you could be that your full of it.

Which leads into 4. Guess what? people are and can be stupid, make bad judgements, be niaeve, and not always do the best and right thing by making these things called mistakes. But if you think that in a post apocalyptic world you would also do everything right, you and the people your with would always get along, never have arguments over anything or F***s up well than you can keep on living in that dreamworld. Oh and another big complaint I have seen i "The Monroe Militia has the most inept soldiers/guards" Newsflash that is ho every action tv show is whether its a shootout, swordfight, or hand to hand the heroes are always badass, and sometimes never run out of bullets lol, and the villains have never shot a gun before. If it wasn't that way a show would be like "Ok here's this main character and this his name, he has a violent past and now there's bad, oh shit some random red shirt killed him, THE END"

And finally It's been 10 episodes!, tell me what show, especially serialized ones give answers or reveal huge secrets or have huge story arcs begin and finish in not even half the season? NONE actually for a show serialized in the way this show is they have told us quite alot but TEN episodes the story arcs that have started have done just that, STARTED! OK i'm gonna say it, if you don't like the show, which is perfectly fine everyone has a right to an opinion, but why are you watching? If you don't like the show and want to express that by writing a comment about it that's fine but writing the same negative comments using different words? And if you don't like it again fine, but going online and insulting those that do like it? Do you have nothing better to do than to watch a show for the sake of insulting it, the fans, and to bring down the ratings? So yeah now i'm saying that no matter what different words you use or how you insult someone makes you a HATER
great post. glad to see some realistic people out there.
Yes I am replying to my own comment cuz I needed to add something

This is an amazing show that has only just started, the characters and the back stories are just getting started. However it seems that some people seem to think they know the whole story, everything. Case and point in this episode there are criticisms like "Well Miles should have just shot Monroe" "Rachel went up and slapped Miles rather than getting the pendant" "Rachel abandoned her famly" "The reunions were joyless" Well guess what NONE of us know everything, only the tip of the iceberg. For instance my very first friend I made was when I was five years old and at 31 he at some point like Monroe and Miles stopped being my friend and became my brother, my family. Now if a situation like this happened and my brother who I spent most of my life with went crazy I would have a hard time just killing him, and anyone who would just pull the trigger like it's no big deal, well I wouldn't want to be their friend. As for Rachel we don't know why she left but when she did, Ben not only had to accept it, but it also seemed like it was possibly partly his idea. And it's absolutely certain that her plan did NOT involve to be taken prisoner for several years And when she saw Miles and knew she was being rescued her first thoughts like any mother should have would be getting to her children! Yeah she left the pendant behind and that of course will come back to haunt her but what would her character be if she was like "Ah fuck the kids I haven't seen in years, and just got back who are in serious danger, they can wait" And as for all the decisions made in the episode like Charlie's reunions, well if their were people trying to kill me and my family I would want to get them to safety first and than actually have the reunion. If they had stopped and had this whole "Oh I missed you so much, I love you mom" etc well than there would b complaints about "Why are they doing that when people are tying to kill them?"
More +
The new threat around HQ:

"...or so help me GOD you'll be reviewing Revolution 'til the end of the season!!"

(I imagine Mallory Archer's voice when I think of that. Probably just me.)

I think Tim should only come back if he still wants to watch Revolution and talk about it. Otherwise, I'd love to see what someone new has to say about it. If they'll find ways to defend it week after week, or if they end up saying "Sorry...but this show does suck."

To new blood! Or not. It's all good.

(3rd time trying to post this. I'll go for four if needed. And then five. And then more.)
Thumbs up for the Mallory Archer voice in my head while reading that ^_^
I caught up on Arrow and read the most recent review...apart from Comic book fanboys, the show blows haaaaard. To read the reviews that massage its ego: honestly, Tim is more honest because he has the balls to be honest.
Having said that, it might be nice to disagree with the Rev reviewer.
Funny you should say that; I'm leaning that way as we type. All I ever liked was the action, and the possibilities between Oliver and the bodyguard. I wondered "Okay, so Diggle's *not* going to be the sidekick? How will they possibly pull that off?" Poorly. It's going exactly as I predicted. Well, exactly like *one* of the predictions.

Anyway, exactly as you said, it might be nice for our team to disagree with the reviewer for a change, but even with a new reviewer...it might not change much at all. I'd like to know either way, is all.
I'm just fed up with the state of media standards these days. This extends farther than TV alone. "Well, it's better than most, so it must be good." It's bullshit.

Arrow is right there with it. I've almost forgotten everything, and I watched 5 hours of it just a few days ago. There was nothing to remember, and by extension, nothing to care about. Diggle's character is the most interesting on his own...and that's it.

I thought about it, I kinda want Tim to stay to spite the lovers here, haha. It satiates my sick pleasure quota for the day.
Haha, truth.

Spartacus is one of my favorite shows, and I remember reading the "reviews" by Seth. He was absolutely hated for his reviews, and I believe rightly so, considering they weren't reviews at all. They were essentially recaps. Zero insight. Zero prognostication. Zero passion. I do believe Tim satisfies all three of these, even if the show is difficult to follow (on a strictly entertainment basis.)

My point is, from what I understand, they don't get paid to do the specific reviews. Seth was just the only person watching the show, so he did it. I'd like to be wrong, but if there's no incentive to review a show, and you could just as easily drop the coverage, I don't see any monetary investment. So you're right, if Tim is truly dreading every week (and I don't think he is, he does get a certain value from it) then he should move on.
Also, I remember Price quitting either The New Normal or Partners because he just didn't like it. I like his reviews, but I wouldn't want him to trudge through a show he hated for them, though, and that's what I want for Tim. I know (hope?) they're getting paid, but it sucks for anyone to hate their job.

Then again, I'm glad someone watches those Syfy movies and Liz and Dick. Better them than me.
This comment has been removed.
I enjoy raging against shows people are supposed to like almost as much as the next person, but if I only watched shows I really liked, I'd have Sherlock (at three episodes a year) and Boss--oh wait. :( No one watches shows I like, listens to music I like, or watches movies I like. If anything, the current stable of music and movies are worse. I prefer to settle. I'd rather watch a few mainstream shows stock with nutrients for the shippers than hope for shows I love to magically appear...and stick around. It's too lonely watching reruns.

As for Arrow, the 4th episode was the worst, but the 5th might've been the best, mostly because there was hope that Diggle was about to become relevant.

***SPOILER ALERT***
Yeah, so there's not much to say about that other than......he doesn't. Heh.
***END SPOILER ALERT***

Arrow was never great, but it was pretty good for a while...comparatively. My GF didn't like Boss (I don't think anyone's GF did), and again, Sherlock only gets three episodes a year. Finding a show we can both sit through is hard enough.

I like that Tim's allowed to call it like he sees it, but I just can't give up the thought that the next person will simply become the next Tim, thus slightly restoring a little lost faith in my fellow man-or-woman. And on the other side, watching a reviewer rave about how awesome Charlie is, and what brilliantly thought-out decisions she makes would just be darn good comedy.

(Again, for full disclosure and calibration, my favorite comedy is WWE, and I find The Neighbors funny. Sometimes, three lefts do make a right.)
More +
The already killed Maggie to *prove* everyone can be killed on this show. They are not going to kill the Wincheste...er Mathesons until at least one of them comes back from purgatory (and then brought back to life, yet again)
No more main characters to die??? I have been waiting for Aaron to die since the first episode. PLEASE nbc people kill Aaron!!!
I want the to kill Nevil, I can't stand him. Also his wife I was rooting for Miles to kill her.
Hear that, Andrew? You're an idiot.
Neville-Julia are the most badass couple ever. You're an idiot.
I am not entirely sure that the helicopter is being piloted by one of Monroe's men. The look on his face when he was looking down at his other helicopters looked a little more "WTF" than "oh hell yeah!" Possibly it could be one of the other pendent holders?
I'm still trying to figure out how on earth they got a capable helicopter pilot when the militia is made out of insurance adjusters like Neville and lone trekkers like Jeremy.
Miles and Bass probably rounded up many of the capable ones, professionals in hopes to try and bring back some semblance of a civilized society when they started to try and bring down anarchy. They could also have had their army buddies who didn't have families or just stuck with them.
Or MORE probably, the writers didn't care to go into it, so common sense wasn't an issue. What makes more sense is the writers, show runner, and execs had a clear-cut ending that they needed to write for. Logic be damned.
You didn't give a logical explanation. If that's you're idea of logical, then the only reason I'm illogical is 'cause I keep talking to you.

Damn you for being interesting in your illogical lunacy.
I gave you a logical explanation and I do know the show has some work to do. But, keep being delusional, man. Whatever floats your boat.
DoctorWho747 said just recently that the so-called "haters" don't know the future. Yet, time and again, the same sin is cast by the "lovers."

I admitted to this episode's climb out of utter shit into possibly not utter shit...but the show still has a lot of work to do. And simply because I can't see what kind of road is in front of me, I can tell where it's headed. I'm not the only one. So no, I don't want to damn everything, I'd just prefer to be real.
You just want to damn everything, don't you? The term 'serialized' is there for a reason. This is a saga, not a documentary.
Why are you thinking? Stop thinking. This show goes smoother that way.
let alone 4 of them
Definitely the Miles & Monroe scenes are the best part of the show
It was excellent. story lines and the action are great. open your minds people. Its the best show on NBC besides parenthood.
I was kind of disappointed with that exact conclusion, I guess I can hope for a time jump when the season restarts (Kripke promised the stories would move faster). Maybe just someone telling a new member of the group the story (since also Jason joining the rebellion seems obvious, lets just have that happen and he can have his own flashbacks where we get fill in on what happened in Monroe land right after).

I have a random complaint...okay, my hair is far longer than it is in my picture which is about four years old. When I am making my escape and I am trying to dress and pack appropriately, I am bringing ponytail holders or, hell, elastics. I know the general risk of a ponytail when you are in a fight, but otherwise, get it out of your face, out of the way (like Nora does). I yell it at Emma on OUAT all the time. Rachel and Charlie, do it!! Heck, even for just the plain fact that it still is a good part of a sex scene when a girl pulls her hair down and it is a rare event. Heck, it would also hide the fact that these people aren't supposed to have stylists who clip the split ends.
Ok so the entire season I knew the only relationship I cared about and that was gonna be interesting was the one between Miles and Monroe, which is why last week pissed me off so much, thus this week made me soooo happy that they finally get to interact. Firstly, I love Monroe and Miles is an idiot for not going back and making him be good, which Monroe totally would have let happen because he loves him so much. Baker (whose name I didn't know I keep calling him Jacob or Lucifer) is my favourite Militia guy.
I think Neville or Baker will overthrow Monroe after this and, Neville (cause he is crazier) will end up in charge and be even more psychotic than Monroe and Monroe and Miles and the gang will have to team up to fight the Militia. At least I hope that happens because I really want Monroe and Miles back together, Monroe isn't enough of a bad guy. There aren't really any serious bad guys on the show, Neville is sadly probably the worst.
When Jeremy first showed up on this show, I was like, "Hey, it's Lucifer!". From then on, I kept calling him Lucifer because Jeremy was such a boring name for a great character.
I'm a bit behind on my DVR. Do they ever explain why, since no one has been to a dentist in 15 years, everyone has such perfect teeth?
Because TV viewers don't want to look at bad teeth.
This comment has been removed.
Since Miles is sooooo badass, he has created a way to fill cavities using tree bark, squirrel meat, and his sword! Amazing, right? I know! Don't worry, soon you'll catch up to the episode up where Charlie gets a cavity; and Nora has to blow up a tree to get the bark, and Aaron (oh, poor Aaron) spends 45 minutes chasing a squirrel and then finally kills him by accident... Also, Neville almost catches our elusive heroes, but then realizes he wishes he was still Gus Fring :(

They totally forget about Danny, but hey, isn't that every episode?

...Oh, and the last scene is a giant reveal where a character we never met before walks down a mysterious dingy corridor wearing a raincoat, but when he arrives outside, PAN OUT- it's not raining! Ahhh...So yeah, get ready, the shit is about to hit the fan!!!
"and Aaron (oh, poor Aaron) spends 45 minutes chasing a squirrel and then finally kills him by accident"

HAHAHA! LLOL! (Literally Laugh Out Loud.)
It remains a bigger mystery then where did Charlie hid all her hair conditioners
The best (the only tolerable) part of Revolution was of course Miles and Monroe interaction. And by "interaction" I mean "OTP of this series" and "hardly working queue". The birth of a new ship is always a good sign for any show. As for Revolution, it's like a life saver.
The worst part was all the rest. Esp. Charlie (as always). I'm 100% sure that Danny could outdo her any time (and by "outdo" I mean "be thrice more annoying") but we didn't (thanks, Mr Kripke!) have to see him that much. At least, for the 1st half of the series. There is the second half though! Le sigh.
It's so true, there are a lot of show right now with great bromance or blatant homosexual relationship potential, my personal favourite at the moment is Stiles and Derek from Teen Wolf, but this is probably second or third place now, I don't know if I can put it before Dean and Castiel, maybe once Monroe and Miles start to interact on a regular basis and I have more to work with lol.
A great episode and mid-season finale. I liked how everything worked out and the ending was pretty decent. Sure some things could have been done differently but I was pleased and entertainined with what was produced!
I think the show is solic enugh to warrant a full season, whether it gets renewed or not it depens only on its performance the next 10 episodes.
To 1,000 comments we go!
Really???????????? I don't understand what all the hoopla is about. This show is usually pretty mediocre. That's my opinion though. If you truly enjoy it, all the power to you. I just think the show lacks depth, and the actors arent very good, etc.. I can go on and on, but I don't want to just go on a bashfest for 2 paragraphs. However, I don't get all this unwarranted praise for the finale...I guess the main plot actually took precedence for once, so that's something... I am always looking for that next great show. Especially since Fringe will soon be leaving us soon . Unfortunately, this isn't it.... I'll close w/ a question. There are no lights right? Have we ever see a scene where the characters looked at the night sky, and just appreciated the beauty of the stars and constellations? I know it's been 15 yrs, but still.... I have seen every episode and I dont remember this..please remind me of this happened. Girish? Anyone?
Revolution is absolutely not the next great show, and it does not deserve to be uttered in the same breath as Fringe. I'm not delusional.

I think it's a pretty good show that could still improve over time. All your points are warranted. It does lack depth and the acting can be downright dreadful. But there are moments when rays of light break through the overcast and darkened clouds. This episode was one of those rays. Revolution isn't the best new show this year. It's not the 3rd best new show this year. But I enjoy watching it most of the time, even when it's so ridiculous that it becomes comical.

I do think the midseason finale deserved some praise for genuinely being a pretty damn good hour of television. The hour precluding this one being the worst episode of the show, notwithstanding.

Is it great? No. Better than mediocre? Occasionally. Worth watching? Damn right! You could do much, much worse than Revolution.

(P.S. As an avid stargazer myself, I would have loved it if Revolution had a scene where the characters stared up into the awe-inspiring resplendence of the night sky. Definitely a very good point and a missed opportunity on their part.)
More +
Amanda Tapping's Sanctuary was decent the first season, sucked halfway through season 2 until they made up for s2 in the last few shows, then got renewed for season 3 because of their comeback. Season 3 was acceptable I guess. But shows can improve if they want to.
Points well taken. I hope the show gets better. The premise & budget give it so much potential...Btw, you know what tomorrow is?
Haha! FRINGE NIGHT!
Nerds.
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
Love the Mid Season episode...i thought it was done pretty well!! Now wait and see what is going to happen!!
The episode was made of the stuff writers dream of writing and seeing it come to life. A perfect amalgamation of great writing, perfect direction and stupendous acting. Made me forgive all the previous shortcomings. I was already a fan, but this solidified my trust.
All so true. Can't wait for the next episode after... FOUR frickin' months!
Really? All this episode did was made me look up from my iPhone slightly more than past episodes. Some solid acting in the episode, for a change, but given how bad it's been up to now that's not saying much. This show simply does not deserve to continue.
The finale was solid. A perfect hour of tv. iPhone huh!! Then maybe you can stop watching and go back to whatever you want to watch instead of wishing cancellation on a good show.
But it's NOT a good show, and to call it perfect... well... it kind of reminds of the scene in Tropic Thunder where the Chinese camp only has the movie Simple Jack to watch and nothing else, so there revere it. But to each their own, I suppose.

Oh, and just for the record I was gaming on my iPhone during the episode, not watching something else in lieu of a horrible TV show. The episode had good moments that the show has not seen until now, but that's it -- and it's too little, too late.
*hits head against wall*
OKay..thought this title was 'Stupidity Abates' was it changed because some people couldn't comprehend what 'abates' means? (But okay, admittedly I had to look it up too)
Ok, I´m not fond of Rachels caracter but in her defence: If your brother-in-law lured you to the Militia and kept you for some time, then handed you over to Monroe and Strausser, to be hold for several years (10-11?)away from your family, and then suddenly appeared to save you: I would also have slapped his face, instead of thinking of the pendant.
I don't know, he thought Monroe killed her, and he didn't just hand her over she came willingly. I don't know why he thought Monroe would have killed her but I don't question this show, it already lacks logic. And question, did Strausser like rape Rachel or something because that is what I got out of their exchange, which sorta makes me mad at Monroe, cause I thought he kinda had a thing for her, and I don't want him to be a permanent bad guy.
It looked like he did. Still, Strausser is such an adorable bad guy..
I think there was something more between Rachel and Miles. It looked more like "That's for sleeping with Nora, you cheating bastard!" than "You kept me locked away for years, you monster!". For the second reason she would have tried to kill him, not slap him.
Who knows what´s been going on for all those years Rachel been a prisoner. Guess there is a story to tell, for the writers. But to tell the truth, that is a story that has little value to me.
Almost no stories have value on this show. But there's potential. Miles vs. Monroe actually got a bit interesting.
Miles´story might be interesting, especially why he left the militia although you got a clue when he was halucination; too much blood. Guess he is not as lost as Monroe. Like Darth Vader, there is still good in Miles ;)

But then I´m always weak for eyecandy, so the Nate/Jason story might also have something in it. :)
Revolution keeps getting better, great episode for the mid season finale!!
Definitely. I'm with you on that.
When keeps getting better applies just for 1 episode, it doesn't count as "keeps getting better". It's just "it got slightly better"
my comment had two points first overall Revolution keeps getting better every week. seconds point it was a great mid season finale episode!!!
Here is where our opinions differ I guess. Most episodes to me seemed equally weak, last one would have been rather not terrible if not for the oxygen hallucination stupidity.
As for a mid season finale - quite ok, not great.

But as the great FringeFanatic once said - "But I guess opinions and stuff"
I love this show and I am getting sick of all the negative remarks and reviews of this show. I know that everyone is entitled to their views and thoughts but if you don't like something, then say it once and the don't watch it again. For some reason every time I look at reviews of this show, they are negative but it is always the same people reviewing it. I mean if you don't like it that much then why keep watching it. Makes a lot of sense now doesn't it? But to say my thoughts on the show...I love it like I said. It is a wonderful story, the actors are great. I think that it has a chance to make it. As far as the pendent that everyone is complaining about...what kinda story would we have if she had remember to grab it. Monroe is the bad guy and the bad guy has to have something to work with otherwise the story goes no where. So, give the writers a little break and just wait and see what happens. There is always a reason for everything...
I think I MEANT to say this but forgot in my original comment. You are 100% right that people not willing to even test or look at something cannot judge it for what it is, but you're a little naive to blame the critics for being critics -- that's their job on this site (not commenters, but the people who post -- you were not specific).
Thank you well said!
I'm not going to go into details as to why I think you're wrong and the show to date has been horrible despite a lot of promise at the beginning, but saying people who don't like it shouldn't watch is just a patch on a painful itch -- so long as the criticism is relevant I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to watch and state a negative opinion. If anything it might help the show if people take said opinions into account.
Does that mean the discussion here will continue on unti March 25 next year? ;)
I hope so. Let's try and set the record for the longest discussion on this site's history. I predict that we'll go over 1500 comments by the time March 25 is upon us if we keep at it.
It'll never happen without the proper stoking of such flame(r)s as Girish, Mad (regrettably!), Isbloom, Josh, Onlytruth, and teetering on the edge, FF. Safi and Tnetennba are smarter than me. They ditch after a few days. All in all, 1,500 is a lofty goal.
Don't worry. I feel my work here is done. I feel like Zorro, like I helped bring justice to the land...
I feel like i have to address this blatant propagation of a lie.
1. Pot-Kettle. Child, you're the only real flamer, unfortunately, and you're also the one who comments more than any of us.
2. If you're gonna bring in safi to the conversation, then you've to know that Isbloom has been commenting really less from a few weeks. Josh doesn't talk much other than reply to his own comments these days. I've seen onlytruth only on this post for one comment. Tnetennba has always been rational. He/she doesn't really hate the show, nor love it, but recognized this quality episode. FF wasn't a fan and he even spoke against the show a few times in the previous posts.
Nice try to discredit everyone though.
Likewise. The episode had good scenes. I'll leave it at that.
This episode barely had anything going wrong with it and was almost executed to perfection. I usually only commend those scenes that I really liked.
I make more sense than you're willing to accept. That's what I know.

As far as the rest, you're right...except, and this is why I made such a point of it before, the words you choose to describe the show almost completely fly in the face of these recent comments. Fantastic, perfection, greatest hours...these qualifiers do not distinguish artforms with faults. If you're going to hold an opinion, I only ask that you be consistent.
You don't make any kind of sense. You do know that, right? You're just coming off as a hater. I also spoke of the flaws the show has and yet, I always thought the show was worth sticking with. But, I usually speak of the flaws in my initial comment and move on. I also pointed out the lies and omissions because of which certain things were misleading in the reviews for quite a number of weeks. I agree with your final point though. Without us, there wouldn't be as many comments on these reviews/rants (depending on the side you're on).
"Nice try to discredit everyone though."

Was that what I was doing? Here, I thought I was pigeonholing. 'Cause as long as you're investing such thought, I'd have to say to whatever degree you're defining them, each degree ends up on either side of the line. I realize Safi and Tne are rarities. And no, Tne is just as rational as any other person pointing out the flaws. But when it comes to Josh, he's a pretty close second to you (perhaps not in frequency.) And admittedly,OnlyTruth has pretty much said one thing, but that one thing was pretty one-sided. FF is soft pro-rev.
The only thing not discredited is the point I made...without us, these threads would hardly be as interesting, or subsist as long.
Haha. Hey, what IS the longest discussion that you guys have seen on this site? I've seen 600+ for 3 articles.
I'm pretty sure a few of Price Peterson's TVD reviews have stretched a fair bit above the millennial mark.
This comment has been removed.
Yep. And it looks like this weeks Delena sirebond/shipper forum is well on its way to 1000.
They apparently keep going. I looked up one to remind me what happened in an TVD episode from last season and it is over 1600.
I've only seen TVD top 1,000 once. If you actually read through the comments, it's the same arguments about 5 times around, and a bunch of individual posts like 992, 993, 994, 995... etc... Still impressive.
I haven't seen more than 600 for TVD, but I can believe that it could have reached 1000+.
You're right. The TVD and TSC recaps generally reached over 400 comments per week last season.
Well, to tell the truth, I could post at least 500, if that would help... Kidding!
Are you though? Are you?..
Don't challenge me...
Argh, *until.
Please, get someone who likes the show review it ... It is not that bad and I like it.. I dont mind the acting, I like the story, YES Rachel should have grabbed the pendant BUT she was shocked to see Miles so that is natural. I Loved the scenes between Bass and Miles.. Still do not know what Bass did that is sooo different then what Miles did but hopefully we will find out..
I hate having to wait for 4 months until Revolution comes back. What is NBC thinking?! When they have a big hit on their hands, they delay it. But it'll be interesting to see how many people stick with it.
i found this episode had the worst acting so far, like they had about 5 minutes to film it. Rachel and Miles, hey your alive, cool, so...... Then you have the lame fight scenes, where people miss shots from point blank range. Then the stupid escape sequences, Miles to Rachel - hey were pinned down from both sides here....listen why dont you get out of here and find the kids. Ill just dodge the machine gun fire whilst i clamber up and out of a window.
Somehow they never seem to have enough extras to make any of the scenes look even remotely believable. This is Monroes super tough base of operations, and theres around 6 guards to be seen. Monroe on the other hand does some ok acting, probably better than the others put together.
And the biggest question on the show must be "what the hell could cause the power to switch off". A few epidodes back we saw some CIA guy in another place building a machine and he had power. So is he blocking all the power or something deliberately? Its really a side story that Monroe manages to get some power and can fly his choppers. Who cares. the plot is around a world with no power... so at least the cliffhanger could have been explaining that? is this going to be another LOST? season after season and no closer to the truth with a finale that looks more like a middle finger than an answer?
Ok, so here's the obit: I don't get it. I don't get how you can start with a really interesting premise, unlimited angles and characters and wind up with ... this. That and Charlie needs her entire forehead botoxed.
Botox? Better not think about that, or this could be the result (just omit the spaces):
http: // t. qkme. me / 3ryhtd .jpg
When Batman says it, you better believe it!
@GirishStewart & mad-pac

That was an amazingly beautiful, insightful and yet, hilarious post FF. I believe AA said it best when s/he said - Comment of the Year! This has to be the best comment I've seen in a long time (the closest is your very own POI boxes, triangles and colors theory, I think). Glad to see you appreciate the awesome episode. I feel like hugging you, man. Bromance ftw. (calm your gaydar people)
Thanks! You guys are all so nice! Is there some strange correlation between liking Revolution and being a nice person?

And you read my POI coloured boxes and triangles comment?! That comment was a bitch to write, so I'm glad someone appreciated it. (Any opinion on my timeline theory?)

So, you love Fringe, you obviously watch POI, and you like my comments ... Bro hug!
Oh slight rectification. My favorite show last year was Game of Thrones. My favorite show during the last season was POI. Also, I forgot to commend you for putting so much thought on the subject of the Machine's point of view.
Haha. Maybe. That might be the case more often than not. That's a very huge compliment though. Thank you.

I noticed all the colored boxes/triangles and I thought you were right on the money since I also theorized that pretty early on. But the little indentations that you spoke of, I've not really paid attention to any of them other than the red ones.

Btw, I love POI as well. My favorite new show last year.
Circle jerking is so 2002
I get it. Living under a bridge must really suck.
LOL'd
"Evil fighting forces generally suck at aiming. This is a FACT."

LOL!
Can I nominate this as the comment of the year? Latest ep shows that people shouldn't be too quick to give up on this show.
Haha! Thank you so much! It's just such an honor to be nominated. Now I know I only directly mentioned GirishStewart and mad-pac, but don't think your comments have gone unnoticed. You and lsbloom have been the slightly less vocal contingent of the Revolution supporters. What I love about you guys is even though you've been mocked and ridiculed for liking this show, you always tried to stay above the fray. I respect that. Reasoned and balanced comments should be welcomed in any discourse.

Thanks again, AA!
Oh and thanks for being awesome through this madness and for the compliments! :)
Your welcome! I give this comment 1000 thumbs-up if it's possible. They should totally have a button that allows people to give 1000+ thumbs-up for awesome comments. :)
*sigh* give an inch...
Sorry. We have the metric system up here.
LOL. You're on FIRE!
Nobody's perfect.
Yes, the Big Stick policy, coincidentally referring to a doctrine by just another Monroe. (I've studied History!) Just so you see the depth we can find in Revolution if you look hard enough. (ha, ha!) Good night!
I refuse to understand it. In fact, I've sent over a few people from our embassy to learn you the ways of "understanding." Fear not, the flickering electric thing the small guy has, and the blunt wooden thing the big guy has are all to better acclimate you to our culture. They only hurt if you enjoy saying the word "no." I do believe that's no in metric, as well...
Written communication is extremely limited and all sorts of misunderstandings may happen all the time. Add to that our cultural differences, even if slight, and any problem becomes understandable.
...I'd like to think my playful sarcasm and blatant over-the-topness would be obvious. I did reeeeally try to be over the top. Hmm...I'll still take the well-wishes.
What's the matter with you? Honestly I have no idea why you're so angry. As I said we're just having some fun and nothing offensive had been said until this very moment. Whatever issues you have I honestly hope you sort them out. And I wish you well, my friend.
Chill...out...man? Chill out, man?! Hey...HEY! F*&$( YOU, MAN! F*$^& YOU!!!
Hey, chill out, man. We're all just having some fun here, but I perfectly understand the point you were trying to make.
True.

Just makes me a little sad that a perfectly valid point was hijacked by silliness. SILLINESS!
OK, DinChild. Let's consider for a brief moment that you ARE perfect. We're only saying that your perfection would be more easily and accurately measured in metrics.
I see that you're trying to keep this going, but it doesn't work, on account that all of this is based on a gag. Which I didn't start, mind you. I was being quite honest.

Having said that, I am perfect.
HA, HA, HA! Best reply EVER! Better say "*sigh* give 2.54 centimeters"
Hey, great post! I couldn't have said it better myself. Well, actually I could and I did - kidding! :-) -, but it was DELETED - not kidding :-( After all our quibbles, quabbles, and the whatevs you may call them, after all the love/hate between fans and haters, after all the mutual whining ("oh Tim, why can't you write a positive review" vs. "I hate this show, I want to shoot my brains but I'm powerless to turn off my TV"), I feel like we've been through a revolution ourselves. Only such a show could bring us all together in collective bromance, and that includes you too, dear haters.

Now we definitely need a rest and recharge our "batteries" (ha, ha) until March, and we'll have to make do with lukewarm boards where everybody agrees a show is great (what's the fun in that?). meanwhile we can always marathon through the 10 existing Revolution episodes for enjoyment of the show, just to stare at Charlie's eyes, or to only to appreciate the comedy factor (like I believe that).

And, so, you didn't know where Ms. Spiridakos was from? Well, I've always recognized the charm and beauty of Canadian women in her (oh, well, not that I've seen many, unfortunately).
More +
Collective bromance including haters. Lol!! mad-pac, I'd have loved to hear your thoughts as well.

And guys, even my earlier comments with DinChild have disappeared. What's this sorcery!
One thing I've learned is that you cannot post links. The post with the link for the "botox" picture kept being deleted and I had to use spaces. I also tried to post other links unsuccessfully.
Unless I'm going crazy, one of my posts got deleted today too. If someone is deleting them on purpose, it would be nice to know why.
I'd love to have read your deleted comment! Damn you, technical problems!
'Technical problems'...is that what they're calling it now? I think that's what the mob called it on Vegas when they blew up the radio satellite.
Don't worry. I admit yours was greater.
BTW: I like the title "Stupidity Abates" BUT 'Stupidity Decelerated' makes me think that we are looking at the stupidity in slo-mo ROFL!
Since abate can mean to end entirely, Tim might've thought that sent the wrong impression. Decelerated just means lessen, so maybe he didn't want to give the show more credit than he intended.
I vote for "Stupidity Abates"!
I agree, it was the best episode so far (whatever that means).
My favourite part about the episode was definitely Mark Pellegrino. Why can't he be in all the episodes? Maybe he can become Monroe's new bestie, now after he and Miles broke up?
He has what it takes to be second in command: the show established he's the first person Miles and Monroe saved once they lleft their Base. Neville is only an insurance adjuster and look how far he's gone
Load More Comments