Ringer Ends with All Its Cards on the Table

Ringer S01E22: "I'm the Good Twin"

Was that a season finale or a series finale? It’s tough to say. Ringer hasn’t been much of a success with critics or with audiences—but it still has Sarah Michelle Gellar’s name, and it’s on a network that holds itself to a different standard than, say, ABC. Strangely enough, I thought last night's finale, "I'm the Good Twin," showed promise for a second season, but I can’t say I care much either way. After the mess of Season 1, I’m well aware that an intriguing set-up does not imply a successful follow-through.

Tuesday’s episode ended the stupid Bodaway Macawi storyline: what was supposed to be an impetus for Ringer’s action became a dead weight dragging the plot down. Siobhan’s plans had nothing to do with Macawi. The assassins after Bridget were Catherine’s, not Macawi’s. Machado spent the entire season being a really crappy detective. Truly, was there anything about the Macawi plot that added to the show? It may have been why Bridget assumed her sister’s identity, but everything thereafter carried only a flimsy connection to it. What a waste of time.

Thankfully, Macawi is dead. He showed up after a multi-episode absence basically so Bridget could shoot him a couple times, and honestly, I have no problem with that. If Ringer does get a second season, it will be stronger without Macawi looming overhead. There were enough other threats, enough dangerous individuals, that by the end, Macawi felt superfluous. Putting an abrupt end to that nonsense may have been the smartest choice Ringer has made so far—I only wish the show had gotten around to it sooner. The show could have spent a lot of the time it wasted on Macawi working toward a confrontation between Bridget and Siobhan. Isn’t that what most of us have been waiting for?

But the finale did more than just finally off Macawi: It put all of Ringer’s cards on the table. Andrew and Juliet learned that Siobhan slept with Henry and that Bridget was Bridget. Henry learned that he was not the twins’ biological father. Bridget learned that Siobhan was alive, and that she wanted her dead. And while all of this is a step in the right direction, it’s likely too little, too late.

Ringer never had the focus it needed to be the show it thought it was. I have repeatedly criticized Season 1 for being all over the place: for a series that the showrunners painstakingly mapped out ahead of time, it felt a lot like they were throwing a bunch of crap at a wall to see what stuck. Ringer wasn’t just aimless—it was inept, a show that didn’t understand plotting from the get-go. There were moments I enjoyed and stories that could have worked, but the show mishandled nearly everything, to the extent that most episodes were a total slog.

In a way I admire Ringer’s ambition: It set up multiple mysteries and stretched them out for an entire season. But there was always too much going on, and none of it was particularly good. I see what Ringer could have been, what it looks like on paper, and that makes the show’s failure all the more disappointing. I know it seems like I took pleasure in tearing Ringer apart on a weekly basis, but the truth is, I root for Sarah Michelle Gellar. I root for Kris Polaha, Ioan Gruffudd, and Nestor Carbonell. I root for complex drama and for good noir—sadly, that’s not what we got.

I was tempted to write a piece on what Ringer could do to improve next season, but I honestly don’t know where to begin. The Season 1 finale, which pushed Bridget and Siobhan closer to a confrontation with one another, is a good start: I just know it’s not enough. Perhaps Season 2, if it happens, will be a dramatic improvement from the first—but this isn’t a show in need of a little renovation. It needs a total teardown.

I watched the entire season in two days because it was so good and then I read this review. I guess everyone has their own unique tastes in television but dang, I still can't understand the harsh review. I found this show to be unique and fresh while staying fast paced and intriguing.

Sure, it was a little dumb to have all those different arcs which ultimately were a bit convenient for the sake of mystery but it sure made the show more exciting and unpredictable. It keeps you guessing until right before the reveal and makes you want to keep watching after every episode.

It's unfortunate that the show didn't get renewed and I'm thoroughly disappointed but I'll cross my fingers and hope another network has the brains to pick it up although I'm doubtful.
This season could have easily been three smaller better paced seasons. I enjoyed the series but it was so rushed and badly written, some of the sub plots were such distractions that it became messy and annoying. Revealing Siobhan was alive to the audience so soon was a disappointment to me (as obvious as it seemed anyway- the drowning scene was so poorly executed)

The reveal could have come at the end of a season spent developing Bridget and Siobhan's family as characters, her troubled past, dealing with Henry and the issues with the criminal after her. He should have been disposed of sooner. Season Two should have introduced Siobhan and then we could have encountered the issues with Gemma discovering Bridget's secret, her death and the realisation that even though the criminal guy was dead someone was STILL trying to kill her. This season could have also developed the love story between her and Andrew better- it just didn't feel believable, then reintroducing the pyscho ex wife ahead of the conclusion in the next season.

I'm suuddenly getting a headache trying to cram everything that happen in this ONE season into THREE seasons. It was just so rushed, too many subplots that were not well enough developed to remain relevant.

It's such a shame, it had so much potential. I think because they tackled so many plots and essentially ended up wrapping them all up at the end they kind of shot themselves in the foot. I just can't see what they could even do in season two apart from get Andrew and Bridget back together.
same im so addicted to the show it will look like a mess to people who didnt watch every episode in a row as its a series i really really want another season as its awesome XD
I hope it comes back I love the show.
I won't be there for another season of this. I don't know what the ratings are but lots of people (here anyway) seem to like it. I had high hope for the show, even after the botched beginning but I had to agree with your reviews, including this one.

But... what the heck? It's a soap! Some people like that style of show. Some daytime soaps have gone for years with the same kind of recipe. Now they try to bring it to evening TV. Might work for a while but it will be very niched, I believe.
I quite enjoyed this one, but I did have to have a wry chuckle at Andrew and Juliets holier-than-thou response to learning it was Bridget. Of course, I never expected them to just accept it and they were entitled to be angry. But let's examine a few facts.

1. Bridget took over Shiv's life and lied to A&J as a matter of pure survival. To save her life. That was her sole motivation. Later, love for A&J also factored into the equation.

2. Andrew has been lying and cheating his clients with an illegal Ponzi scheme. Motivation - greed.

3. Juliet launched a completely immoral scheme of false rape allegations in order to prise cash from her father. Motivation: greed.

And what was Bridget's response to both when she discovered what they'd been up to? Despite the fact that their motivations were selfish and venal and they had behaved in a manner most people would find hard to forgive, she forgave them instantly and then offered them loving, unconditional support to get past it.

So, I'd think they are two of the last people to get all sniffy about Bridget's lies. If we get a S2, I expect to see some serious soul-searching and back-tracking from these two along those lines. Bridget seems to me to be the least sinner among the three.
definately they both owe it to her bridget loved andrew and juliet more than shiv ever did the only thing shiv done was cheat with henry and fall pregnant with twins episode was great she was the good twin shame A&J couldnt see it
I felt that the whole Bodaway Macawi arc was mishandled, but I can certainly see what they were attempting to accomplish there. If they hadn't provided multiple, credible threats, then the audience couldn't have played detective. Instead the true villain would have been obvious all along annoying the audience every time the characters were shown not being able to figure it outor would have been a "gotcha" villain, either someone who the show painstakingly demonstrated to be a good guy until the very end or someone whom the audience has never heard of before. Neither of those options would have been satisfying.
I loved Ringer, and I hope it gets at least another season.

This article only serves to reinforce my opinion that US TV audiences either don't like or can't handle long, ongoing plot storylines, and that's why so many good series lose audience figures and get cancelled.

Before lots of US citizens take offence, let me clarify that I know it's by no means all of you - I've seen many US people complaining about the cancellation of some great shows.

But certainly, when it comes to those "sample audiences" used to gauge ratings, anything with a complex, ongoing storyline seems to inevitably lose viewers and face cancellation. They seem to lose interest unless the story is wrapped up neatly each week.

I haven't found Ringer to be "messy" at all, nor have I had any trouble following it. It's a bit far fetched, perhaps even unlikely, but certainly believable to an extent. It certainly wasn't a slog to watch. As it went on, more and more was revealed, and the twists and turns kept my interest throughout. I've found it refreshing and entertaining - much more so than certain other shows, which have already gone on for far longer.
I have a feeling it was a series finale.... :/ sorry. Even the DVR boost wasn't enough to build renewal status... as for SMG's name on it... well, that's the only hail mary its got going for it actually.
i hope theres a second season i love this show and really i have a good idea what the second season could consiste of. bridget trying to win back andrew . siobhan who we all know will do anything to get what she wants will try to get her life back at what ever cost, and thats just the start of what they can do. the ring and hart of dixie are the only shows that i watch on this network and i love them both
I LOVE THIS SHOW!

I don't understand why there are so many talking it down! In this show THINGS ACTUALLY HAPPEN you don't have to get dragged along for ever waiting for the plot to move forward, it does so at racer-speed and every episode is satisfyingly bringing the plot forward. Sure, agent whats-his-name was irritatingly stupid, but everything else was pretty darn awesome! And with Macawi gone, the detective is most likely out of the show as well, so no prob there!

Someone mentioned they thought SMG played the two sisters too similar - Isn't the whole premise of the show that they are in fact enough alike to be confused by people close to them!! And I'm suprised alot of the time how different they actually seem!

I actually read somewhere in a comment that is had been renewed, but I don't know if its true. I keep hoping though. And hoping that more people will learn to appreciate the show for giving us something new and worthwhile to watch!
I enjoyed Ringer from the start. Of course, I just enjoyed it without expecting to be told every little bit of plot, as for being all over the place, what? You want onestoryline followed and that's it. Every show I ever watched started a slow season until the writers get into the characters they create,

It is a good show, as with any new show can have improvement, but I don't know, I just enjoyed it.
I think this is one of the best shows on the air right now. I'm really going to miss it between seasons, and hope it gets a second season.
Just marathoned the last three episodes. This, for me, was a guilty pleasure only to see how they would write themselves out of corners they created. The biggest flaw was Siobhan's reason for revenge against Bridget. She never killed Shawn. I can't remember if the driver that him survived and/or if he was at fault, but Bridget was merely a chaperone and should have been given credit that she was along for the ride to be so. Also, why didn't Siobhan go after the father? He insisted on taking the kid plus he was driving. Finally, did Andrew ever know about Shawn? He asked in one episode, but stated something about Siobhan telling him when she was ready.

The second stupid thing was changing the pilot episode's ending phone call with subsequent voice-overs during the "previously on..." segments where they needlessly changed the voice and had the guy add, "she's still alive" to "Siobhan, we have a problem". It ruined speculation about Siobhan being the one trying to directly kill Bridget making you now think she was then it became that it was Andrea Roth. It was unnecessary and should have been allowed to play out that way and leave you still wondering along the way. They eventually stopped that after a few episodes of it, but still.

I also think Geller is not that great an actress. Likeable, yes, but a great talent...no. I wished she or the creators had made her characters more differently defined with Siobhan fine as she was, but Bridget being more tough, hardened, possibly kick-ass yet more adventurous and street smart. Her portrayal of the twins was way too similar.

I think that if it comes back, I'll be surprised, but they wrapped it up well enough for me not to care if it doesn't.
Agreed. Shiv seemed to have been labouring under the belief - as unfortunately many divorced women do - that once she and the child's father broke up, only she had rights to him. All that the father did was want to spend time with his son. Shiv had no right - legal or moral - to prevent him as she did. All Bridget did was allow a child access to his father - as was his entitlement. The only person to blame for his death was the drunk driver who hit them.

For Shiv to blame Bridget was ludicrous.
I disagree with this review but then all opinions differ. Ringer compared side some of the cheesy CW series offered great potential and something so different that it kept you guessing and who wants a show to only follow in one direction? All series take time to grow and Ringer was for sure a great start for one because so much was going on that it kept you on the edge of your seat. Excitement :) Regardless, this show has awesome potential and it would be a shame to see it be put away too early with the amount of directions it could take us.
I started watching Ringer Because it stared Sarah but quickly got bord.
I loved the season finale of Ringer! I totally disagree with your review and question your credentials and capacity to undertake reviewing a show which has a format your clearly not capable of following. I feel the show had great timing and a precise plan which all lead to a spectacular finale. Sure there is room for improvements but not anything which you mention really. I am glad the season was 22 episodes and not 12 because the series had time to flesh out the plot on its own terms and not feel cramped. Also I'd rather watch this then most anything else on the same night.

I see what your reviews could have been had you been able to follow and comprehend just how great Ringer's first season was and that makes your failure all the more disappointing. Oh and by the way please don't write a piece on suggestions to improve season 2, Thanks!

What makes the show great is the twists, turns and misdirection. It's the trill, excitement, mix of emotions, and great actors, setting, directing, editing, music, everything. I think the 1st season was a complete success and I'm grateful that the series was able to see it's first season through to completion, as many shows fail to do these days. I certainly look forward to watching more seasons of Ringer!!!!!!!!!
@JenNacht, I must say that I completely agree with you. Ringer is one of the best television series I have ever came across! The twists and turns is what makes the show so interesting....To all who say that "It's all over the place and it's too many stories," basically shows your lack of intelligence. The show is trying to make you think. It's slowly giving out clue after clue to what is going to happen next. Just when you think that you know what's about to happen, there's another twist to it, which makes the show even more exciting. Sarah Michelle Gellar is an amazing actress. It was marvelous the way she played both the roles of Siobhan and Bridget. You would really begin to believe that they are twins. @Louis Peitzman, I honestly think that you are a terrible critic....You critiqued this show in a bad way just for attention. I read the way you critiqued a few of these episodes and I have no clue what you're talking about.....tv.com is the only place where I see negative criticism about Ringer. Find a new hobby.........#Smdh
I have to agree with you. I really liked the show. Especially because I never seem to forsee what's going to happen next, and that's a huge plus for me.

Honestly I don't know about the show ratings, but I hope it does gets to surpise me some more in a new season.
no surprise but CW just doesn't bring in the good shows. Hart of Dixie is good but just not wonderful. 90210 and Gossip girl use to be good but both shows went down hill after the second season.
I totally agree with you. Too many stories, it's was all over the place and also too many fake-outs (?!) .

This show was a real disappointment! (specially considered what it could have been......)

I don't think there will be a season 2 and I am soo okay with that.
I'm really surprised at the response you give on this show... This show is amazing compared to the secret circle and vampire diaries and all other crap on the CW. I am in love with it, and Sarah Michelle Gellar.

I love this show, and I love all the twists and turns. It's awesome how each new episode links itself to the past, and I love when you find out Catherine is the one after Siobhan and it's so intense when you watch that episode unravel.... This season finale was awesome, I felt my heart racing when Bridget finally told Andrew the truth.

And really, you want new writers? You really think this show is that bad? And I disagree with "hasn't been a success with the audience".... users on netflix gave the show 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. I think that's something!
Success with the audience has to do with number of people watching the show, not people rating it on Netflix ;)
The season finale should have been part 1 of a two-part show ending, with the final finale (hee) having Bridget and Siobhan tearing each other's extensions out, then having to rely on each other after they both became homeless from both their lies.
I totally agree with you Luis, the only reason I tuck to the whole season is SMG and the rest og the impressively good cast, (what a waste), but other than that, I don't think there was much more to appreciate.

My only suggestion for next season, and I can't stress enough, IF there is a next season:

HIRE NEW WRITERS!!! Quit spending so much in wardrobe and CGI, ehem*, and invest in quality writing please... and better luck next time.
Funny enough, while I was watching the episode I kept yelling to the screen (which is something I don't usually do) "FINALLY" and when Bridget had mistaken Siobhan for Juliette, I was like -_- ... but soon enough when Bridget saw Siobhan on a tape 3 hours after her 'suicide' ( that magically appeared ) and Bridget said 'Siobhan is alive' .... I was thinking, NO SHIT SHERLOCK
After watching Ringer's finale, it got me... Season 1 should have been 12 episodes instead of 22. The final episode was actually pretty good, I could even give it (individually) a 9/10 grade, but everything before that, was pretty much a big mess. Why, couldn't they make all episodes like the finale? Even though the finale was promising and SMG is always amazing, I doubt the show will get a second season.
I so wanted to like this show, but it just never quite got me. My favorite part of the season was when Andrea Roth started appearing on the show. If it gets a second season, I'll watch, but if it doesn't I won't be disappointed.
I thoroughly enjoy the show and hope it will be back. Very addictive and very twisty. It hooked me from the get-go!
Yes, thank you for not completely ripping it to shreds. I understand your concerns, but don't agree with them! I thoroughly enjoyed this entire season (particularly the 2nd half) and LOVED this finale. Anyways, thanks for your reviews Louis!

SEASON 2! SEASON 2! I really hope there is a SEASON 2!
I'm also glad that you're finally done "recapping" this show.

You never took into account the commenters (us) any way, just gloating in all your hate for the show (it's silly, crazy, campy. So what?).
i am actually surprised that you didnt totally rip the season finale to shreds. I am glad that things finally came to fruition with the whole storyline. I am hoping that there is a season 2 so they can redeem themselves for what was a confusing but ambitious first season. finger crossed the people over at the CW know what they have and know that there are people rooting for this show.
The season finale was adequate and while this season was largely disappointing for some reason my interest hadn't waned.
God, I love this show. Sarah is just amazing and I am praying for a second season. I love Bridget and I really like Andrew and Juliet and I really want to see some kind of reconciliation between them and Bridget. I think the show is set up for an awesome season 2.
I enjoyed it. I wish Siobhan and Bridet would have come face to face at the very end. I suppose that would have been very predictable though. I assumed it was about to happen anyway haha.
I was waiting for Siobhan and Bridget to run into each other when she was being chased around the appartment by Macawi but it didn't happen which annoyed me but other than that I liked the episode. I love how Henry finally got away from Siobhan's bs and I laughed alittle when Andrew punched Henry in the face. I always forget Macawi was part of the series half the time, I think he should have been killed off earlier but oh well. The scene where Bridget came clean to Andrew was really great and I think if it gets another season they'll get back together. I was surprised when Bridget confronted Henry about Siobhan being alive coz she's never been that bright throughout the series.
I don't know what the hell your talking Louis but the season finale was great. I so wanted a face to face confrontation between Siobhan and Bridget but am ok how it turned out. Looking forward to a second season.
i think it was a series finale
I completely agree with your assessment of Ringer. It felt like they were just throwing in every plot device known to man in an attempt to create drama, but all it created was a mess. I wanted to like it (it had such a great cast) but it was just too all-over-the-place for me.
I understand the writers frustration with the show. It culd have been so much more than it is. THere were a ton of fake outs with the twins meeting and such. I did feel a bit jerked around at times. All in all I was able to accept that it was a silly kind of show and I wanted to see where the writer's would take it. I think that on paper the story was fine, but on TV with time off and with people investing time into the show I think things moved a little too slowly (Gemma's death for example...to show us she wa alive simply to kill her was a bit much for me) I would have liked to have seen Bridget get outed a few episodes ago and then have the season end with her at least talking to Siobhan over the phone or something. I would also liked to have seen Bridget grow smarter..as in not looking so dumbstruck that her sister was alive. Glad that she was at least intelligent enough to realize that Henry knew about it all. I do hope that it gets renewed cuz it was fun TV (it definitely entertained me while folding my laundry) and I hope that the writers can learn from this season and improve it. I really want to see Bridget take more control of her situation, Andrew get over himself and realize she really does love him, Henry stop being Siobhan's pawn and I am interested to see just how Siobhan acts when she is super desperate and alone. Henry knows she is a total liar, Tyler is dead and Andrew knows she cheated on him...of course I am sure she will play the twins card since I am sure they are his and not Tyler's. She was with him after she was already pregnant.

I don't think the show needs a tear down, I just think that better choices can be made from here on out. Mainly not dragging certain things out to long which is hard to do. I mean, you have a story you want to tell and you want to make it interesting and you don't want to answer questions too quickly but you also don't want to go on so long that ppl don't care anymore. As a writer that is not easy I can't imagine what it would be like writing a TV show.
what are you talking about ? It was a very good finale !

The only thing i hate it , the way that Bridget know that Siobhan is alive .It could be better if she surprised by her face-to-face "some confrontation" .
Yup a face to face confrontation would have been awesome.
My only complaint: the daughter said Bridget was just as bad as her mom.

Umm, sure... save for the fact that her mom tried to kill Siohban and Bridget, held the whole family at gun point, tricked her daughter into swindling money from the family, HAD THAT GIRL AT SCHOOL BEATEN TO A PULP, etc.

Obviously Bridget was tarnished in her eyes, but... priorities much?
I get your point but need I remind you that Juliet is a teenager, they're troubled even if their life's perfect and her life's anything but perfect so she just reacted like any teenager in such a situation wolud react... in a tv show. If we're lucky enough to get a second season' and I'm confident enough, Juliet'll eventually come to her senses and forgive Bridget because in 7 months she gave more than any adult gave in her lifetime, except for life itself!

Btw, the finale was good and works both as a season and series finale since there aren't that many loosends except a required Bridget/Siobhan's faceoff.
The author of this just wants some attention. The show is good and the season finale was awesome. The only place where I see negative criticism about this show is on tv.com.