Ringer: Oh. My. Gawd.

Well, it’s not like I had high expectations for an episode titled “Oh My Gawd, There’s Two of Them?” I mean, seriously, can we take a moment? There is no better indication that Ringer is unsure of its audience: the title feels very CW (particularly the asinine spelling of “gawd”), but the episode itself was another dry, humorless hour replete with heavy conversations and too much self-importance. Every time I believe the show is getting better, it hits me with another dud. How long until this series commits to greatness, or embraces camp?

There was a lot of crap in Tuesday night’s episode, so let’s break it down from bad to worst. I think we’re supposed to appreciate the fact that Bridget is finally bonding with Henry—their relationship has gone from sham to romantic sham! But I just can’t bring myself to care about the newfound honesty between them, when Bridget is still lying about who she is. All of this so-called character development is flimsy, because it rests on a case of mistaken identity. Once the rug is pulled out from under them, we’ll be back at square one.

Side note: The writing in the Henry-“Siobhan” scenes was all over the place. For every almost-touching moment, there was a line like, “I didn’t tell you about Bridget because I was ashamed. It sucks to feel that way about your family.” Oh my God, totes.

Bridget cried a whole bunch over the course of the episode, but if Ringer is going for sympathy, it's still not getting the feeling right. When her entire character is an elaborate lie, it’s impossible to tell when she’s on the level and when she’s faking it as part of her plan. At this point, I get that Bridget is the honest, well-intentioned sister, and that Siobhan (still living the high life in Paris) is comically evil. But both twins are full of it, which means that everything they do looks an awful lot like manipulation. I mean, I’m sorry Bridget fainted and hit her head. I guess?

Then there was Malcolm, who was finally granted a bit of agency. The problem is, we still know very little about him as a character: Most of his screen time has been devoted to drugged-out captivity. Bummer for him, but it matters very little to us. The episode gave us another useless flashback—seriously, Ringer, learn how to use these—where we saw Malcolm and Bridget sharing their first illicit kiss, feeling bad about it, and then continuing with the makeouts. Did it show us anything we didn’t already know?

But even among all these very bad things, the biggest offense is that the show continues force Juliet on us, and my God, she is awful. Ringer can’t figure out if she’s evil or just misunderstood, so she goes back and forth over the course of every episode. It’s also not clear if she’s a serious addict or a young girl who just likes to party, because her apparent addiction hasn’t been addressed properly at all. All that aside, she just doesn’t fit this show. What was the point of her car accident, except to take a bit of momentum out of the main story? The only good thing Juliet did was offer the episode’s best line: “You owe me, bitch. Like 10 million dollars.” She seems like a really cool friend!

The one surprise the episode offered, the reveal that Charlie killed Gemma at Siobhan’s request, was a fun little twist. But even that was undermined by the hamfisted way it was handled—an Unsolved Mysteries-level flashback featuring a Gemma double who didn’t even look like Tara Summers. If all of Ringer was that laughably bad, I could at least enjoy it on a camp level, but sadly, those moments are few and far between.

I don’t know what Ringer is doing. Ringer doesn’t know what Ringer is doing. And if the series can’t manage to pull itself together for a consistent string of episodes, audiences are going to lose what little interest they have.

I so totally agree with you mightymad, it seems like Louie is not really watching the show. Its like he is looking for an excuse to say that the show is a piece of crap (which it isn't by the way let me make that very clear). I had a feeling that Bridget was having malcolm's baby why else would we be giving the flash back and the history developing on these two. The show being given a full season pick up speaks for itself, the show is good and I for one am not the only fan that thinks so. How do these people get the job of watch tv and post their thoughts, if they are not really going to be paying attention to what the story etc... is really about. Enough about Louie and let me get back on track... I was waiting for Henry or Andrew to say they didn't know Bridget, but Siobhan (Bridget) told both men the truth about her(self) i.e. sister. I am loving the twist and turns that this show is taken and I so cannot wait for more. I am sure that Bridget acting as Siobhan and Andrew will continue to grow closer and they will end up being together, together and before the season ends the truth will comeout to an extent. What did Bridget do to Siobhan for her to want to kill her sister, I would like to see that all play out and come to light. I find it strange that I am now pulling for Bridget aka Siobhan and Andrew even though I don't believe he is going to take the truth very well. Other than that I am liking the direction the show is taking.
Euh... Louie, no offense, buddy, but YOU SUCK AT WATCHING TV.

You do realize that Briget's PREGNANT with MALCOLM'S BABY, right? That's why we got the flashback and the whole fainting scene.

(Geezus... how can you get job watching TV when you pay so little attention actually watching the program? I smell some nepotism here....)
Even though Jason Dohring only had about one line, it was still my favorite part of the entire episode. Said with such sincerity! And his hoodie was awesome, he's a teacher but he's also a normal guy. Sighhhh, lust.
i'm still interested but i must admit its waning. Theres not enough to get me excited about. The whole Charlie being the one who killed Gemma was no surprise at all to me, it was so obvious from the beginning he was involved with her twin somehow. The plots moving along but then again its also not. I honestly need to know more about what Siobhan is up too
Uh...guys Henry is Gemma's husband and Andrew is Siobhan's husband that Bridget is actually falling for...I think that fact that no one caught this major faux paux says volumes about the attentiveness of Ringer's audience.
LOL! Right On!
Concentrate on SMG and Nestor Carbonell, what links them, what evolves between them, and what revolves around them. You'll probably see a very different show. the rest is just "day time soap" filling (maybe for the CW crowd).

One thing that keeps bogging me, tho, is that very early in the season Siobhan tried to have Bridget killed and it failed. Now, why didn't she try again? Not only that, she now seems satisfied that Bridget is getting "comfortable" in her role. I don't know if we'll ever have an explanation for those two events.
When we learned about the car accident, I was hoping Juliet had died.
speak for yourself man, I tought it was a pretty good episode. I always find episodes of RInger to be pretty amusing, always with a catch in the end.......something surprising that you wasn't expecting. I think that's what makes a show good. Of course it has it's bad sides like every other show, but I believe Ringer has a very good plot and storyline!!! just keep up the good work, and you won't lose your audience!!
so i guess the big twist gonna be when Bridget brings a Black baby to Henry :P!!!
ok , im sorry . i meant Andrew not Henry .

but if the reviewer make this mistake so i guess it is not a big deal !
Love that you used the word "asinine".
i totally didn't realise it was a double!!

the 'shocker' at the end was totally predictable maybe be a little surprising about charlie but it's the kind of show where if you learn the name of a character they're going to be important

and the flashback in my opinion might not be so irrelevant as i have a feeling bridgit is pregnant with his baby and thus the ultrasound won't ruin the lie
I'm glad I started watching this show. Tuesday's episode left me dropping my jaw quite a few times. And as far as Bridget carrying Malcolm's baby -- I don't know. It may be 2011, but I don't see the show going 'there'.
I still can't believe I let myself back in. I gave up after episode 2 but as a fan of SMG, and afer reading so many good reviews, I give it a (re) try. What a waste of talent for SMG and waste of money to pick it up. I put it in my dead pool list in number one the biggest of all deception in this year far far ahead Charlies Angels. It s not the lack of imagination,everything has allready been done before (so many series), they just seem so serious doing it , no feelings in their approach. Even Jim Caviezel in Person of Interest give me more chills with his performance in a series that pumped its inspiration from so many other series and and movies. I will always be a SMG fan, she is a talented actress with a very large panel of actis but i will not be taken again red handed watching that crap show. If i need my SMG fix i will go back to her previous movies and series.
Umm.... The malcom flashback is ment to tell you that obviously he and Bridget slept together. That's why she fainted... She is pregnant with HIS kid...

LOL
I don't know if that's what you meant but I don't think that she fainted because "she is pregnant with his kid"... I believe she fainted because she thought that he was dead.

Now, IF the writers go with the pregnancy (which we don't know yet) she will only then realize who the father may be. How is she gonna deal with that because, as you pointed out, the baby has a good chance of being black? How could she justify an abortion to Andrew? That is IF she can go through with that. The best solution would be a false positive on the pregnancy test.
"So Henry is thinking his wife is pregnant with his child when it's not really his child it's his best friend's child except that isn't really his wife either and the kid is going to be black..."

Standard soapy plot ^^
Louis you are WRONG! This was one of the best episodes so far, the writing was pretty brilliant as was the acting. I think you missed some key points. Bridget is manipulating the situation and it's fun not knowing if it's part of her plan or not, that is part of the appeal of the show. I think we have a while before the rug is pulled out and who knows how things could go. Malcom's scenes were pretty good and the flash back was relevant and fun, people do have flash backs you know. And Juliet is not as bad as in the beginning and in this episode she actually seemed responsible for helping her friend, and I mean really 2 beers is nothing and her character could be expanded upon even more. The twist at the end was brilliant and I think the writers do know what they are doing at this point. This is one of the more entertaining shows on TV and I look forward to it each week. In this day and age when TV shows come and go perhaps you should enjoy the pretty decent ones more and not be so harsh when there is far worse on TV. That being said I don't understand how people don't like this show because it's awesome and I should know because I watch more TV than most people.
anytime we have to go from bad to worse and one dud episode to another it is time to give up the delusion that there is a show worth spending an hour a week watching. i was simply hoping to see smg after so long. but not like this!..
I agree. I tried watching last night because people kept talking about it getting better but its still pretty bad. The show just has a weird vibe like none of the characters connect at all, it almost seems like the actors are meeting each other for the first time every time they film a new episode.
There's some of that I agree. It reminds me of "Twin Peaks" a bit. That's probably how it feels when everyone live on some lies.
Sigh, the unwatched episodes have been stacking up on my side. I lost interest awhile ago. I keep hoping I'll find some motivation to watch. I want to like Ringer. Hell, I want to LOVE it. But there just isn't much spark to keep me going. Hopefully I'll be giving it another try soon...
1. Selection bias. At this point, almost everyone who doesn't care for the show has already stopped watching, so most of the people reading this article and/or commenting on it are going to be fans.

2. Isn't fascinating that *anything* could be put on tv, and no matter how awful the ratings or bad the reviews, there'll always be a few people who'll describe it as their favorite show ever? I love the power of large numbers.
This is a terrific show, my favourite new drama of the season. I don't really understand what your problem is, Louis, but if you don't like Ringer, stop watching and move on. As for me, and a lot of others who have commented here, we'll continue to watch and enjoy!

My only regret is that they killed off Gemma. I really liked her character.
Nice twist that Charlie was the one who killed Gemma, didn't see that coming at all. I wonder how the writers are going to play the whole is Bridget pregnant or not reveal next episode. Also its so funny to see the rich kids get their trust funds taken away from them. I mean go back and look at Juliet's face when Andrew told her.
I personally think the writers of Ringer do know what they are doing, and as a viewer, I'm not going anywhere! (: The first few episodes were sub par, but I think the show has come a long way. By the 4th episode, I began thoroughly enjoying the show with its dramatic twists and turns. Some parts of the show are pretty ridiculous, and laughing at those aspects actually make me enjoy the show even more! I'm with Tim Stack's reviews, you should check those out if you haven't already. They are pretty funny! (:

Well, thanks for writing this, and I'm sorry you aren't enjoying it. :/
What the fuck! It us one the best episodes yet, you're always complaining about something it's so annoying.... You don't even try to give the show a chance. If you think this was laughably bad, then you haven't seen anything.

As for the episode, so much happened and they also managed to give us some answers to the whole pregnancy thing and Gemma's murder.
Episode wasn't that bad at all, only thing that felt ridiculous was the plot twist that Charlie was really working for Siabhan.
Dude, you got it wrong: Henry is the lover, Andrew is the husband! lol Too bad you didnt like it, I really like the show!
Wow, I am impressed. Seriously, this episode was so good. I don't understand you Louis on this one.

From the beginning, the episode surprised me : the mini-twist about Henry and Andrew (yes Louis, Shioban's Husband is named Andrew) knowing Bridget really got me. The whole sequence with the phone call got me as well.

Yes it's weird to see fake-shioban lying through her teeth about trust and all. Yes the irony of the situation of her talking about herself as she was someone else is not subtle. But I like the fact that she's almost believes herself because the fact is that she's cozy in her sister's shoes. And despite the basic lie, she seems to really care about the people around her (at least that's what SMG's acting is suggesting).

Killing Gemma was the best thing for the show. As "Swinglabacase" said it below, the show seems to know it's rebirth. Even the final twist surprised me. It means either Shioban was pretty sure that Bridget would go to an NA meeting sooner or later, or that Charlie followed her and decided to get close at this occasion (seems more logical). The only thing bothering me is that Bridget trust him quite quicky. I never would have talked about the car to a guy I met few days ago, especially if he is (or pretend to be, who knows ?) a cop.

About Juliet, I agree with you Louis about the fact that she went from bitchy-spoiled-girl to the-good-sober-friend a bit quickly : is that a well known effect of public school ? I'm not so sure. About her car accident, we are supposed to believe that she drove the car to help her friend and that she's angry at her because she(the friend) didn't want to let the car at the party. But, when I see how much she was angry at her friend (and not herself) about an accident she(Juliet) has supposedly caused, I'm more inclined to think that she took the fall for her friend. I think she let her friend drive and said that she was driving to avoid any DUI charge for her. I'm not sure if I'm clear here but I think that detail would be more consistent with the point of her storyline which is showing how hard it is to regain trust that we lost even though we do good things (how profound...).

I think it wasn't a good idea to retain the twist of the ultra-sound till next week. Now we're all pretty sure that she will not be caught because she's pregnant as well. So is Malcom the father ? Yeah probably. The odds are that they did it again, way after their first time in the flashback (which was nine months ago... subliminal message guys !).

So to sum up, yes Ringer is not subtle. Yes, it's a soapy drama with an unrealistic starting point.

But the fact is that the show is efficient. I like to think and debate about it. I'm glad to have hold to the show despite the few poorly executed first episodes and I'm looking forward to next week episode. That's definitely my guilty pleasure.

Last thing: the bad Emma-double. I didn't catch it immediately but I rewatch the scene and you're right Louis : the gal is really different from Tara Summers. I don't know why they couldn't get the original actress but that's a shame because that looks really bad.
Im_right_aint_i wrote: "About Juliet, I agree with you Louis about the fact that she went from bitchy-spoiled-girl to the-good-sober-friend a bit quickly"

I've worked with people like that and it does happen. Among those who sincerely want to improve anyway. The thing is that it doesn't last. They often go back to their original behavior, oscillating between the two for a long time, sabotaging themselves and the person who is trying to help them. But they get to it eventually if you stick with them.

I totally didn't notice that "Gemma's double" thing... Guess I was still under the shock: I was suspecting so much that Henry was involved.

I was avidly waiting for things to move on that show. It felt like an eternity (6 eps) to set the foundations with a few pokes at the main story. I too am glad that I sticked around. But there were a few good pointers that suggested this show could be big (not like that other show with the dinos where there's none).

Now, the series really begins.

About the pregnancy would it be plausible if they say that the first test was wrong and that she is finally not pregnant?

(maybe a lady would be in a better position to answer)

I hope so... With two babies coming in I wonder what kind of show this will be next year. "Two and two half Women" with Charlie Sheen as a stalker?
More +
Yeah, the first thing I tought about the pregnancy in the pilot was : "Claim a false positive". That would have been easy to go to the doctor again (or another) and do one more test. Of course, the move would have hurt the plot so it's quite logic that she did not do it. At this point, I think it's a bit to late. I think that she's pregnant from Malcom.
Ringer is slowly improving and I don't understand why you think this episode was bad. Also, the flashback with Malcolm and Bridget 'relationship' was not useless given the fact that you forgot one important thing. They need to find a way for Bridget to get out of the ultra sound situation. But how are they going to do that?? Perhaps she is indeed pregnant with Malcolm 's baby and that is why they showed the flashback. I do agree that Ringer seriously needs to choose a direction and stick to it and that the whole Gemma scene was handled poorly. Aside from that, I think the show has potential and I am looking forward for the next episodes.
Last nites episode was very good, come on everybody if you did not think that Siobhan's was not involved with Gemma's death you were not paying attention, Ringer keeps getting better and better with each new episode plus does anybody think that Bridget is actually PG gee I think she is
That would be an interesting twist that would solidify her "Siobhan Identity" in the face of Machado and everybody else.

The other question is whom is Siobhan pregnant with? Everyone thought it was Henry, but now... Charlie?
woah. True! Never thought of that either! Iiiiinteresting (:
dude, an awesome call I never would have thought of that, and you are right , I thought Henry big time
What a surprise your comments are to me Louis!!! We are totally at the opposite of the scale on this one.

After last night I said "Great, now the show begins!" This episodes was tight. The story lines were well defined. Not too much "teenage drama". Now we know all the antagonists. Everyone is set: now the real show begins.

I believe Juliet will be part of a serious sub-plot. The way the are going with the character reminds me of Kim Bauer in 24.

I think it was the most solid episode so far and I say it again: now, the real show begins.
I'm totally with you. I don't understand Louis on this one.
This was pretty bad, indeed. I was hoping that Henry was the one who killed Gemma, and even though it was unexpected that Charlie did it, it still felt like a let down.

The whole fingerprint-thing still feels really dumb to me, because all the FBI would have to do is take fake-Siobhan's fingerprints and that would be that. Also, I'm not sure where the whole Juliet/Mr. Carpenter story is going, but here's hoping it's murder rather than romance.

Finally, I'm pretty much convinced Bridget is pregnant with Malcolm's baby. But I guess they're saving that for next week's episode.
I liked it. I like Juliet so far as well. For whatever reason I didn't care that Charlie killed Gemma. Maybe because I didn't like Gemma? I want to see more of Juliet's teacher, you know, Mr. Logan Echolls :)