Ringer: Ready to Quit

Ringer S01E18: "That Woman's Never Been a Victim Her Entire Life"

I hate to say it, but at this point, there’s basically nothing Ringer can do to get me excited about watching again. I just don't see it happening. Don’t get me wrong—I’ll still try to find things to enjoy in each episode, because I feel obligated to watch through the finale, at least. But overall, I’d say we can safely call the show a failure: a neo-noir that never committed to the genre, a nighttime soap that took itself too seriously.

There is no longer anything I look forward to about the show, and there aren’t any twists that catch me off-guard. As I said last week, the characters are so wildly inconsistent, it doesn’t really matter that they swing back and forth between good and evil. I’ll accept whatever nonsense the writers throws at me, because I know this show isn’t grounded in logic, but I’ve been given little reason to root for anyone, and I’m not suddenly going to join Team Bridget.

This week’s episode was especially frustrating, offering both fake-outs and a lot of unbelievable timing. Andrew was in danger, then he wasn’t. Olivia kidnapped Juliet, then she didn’t. Malcolm was dead, then he wasn’t. Basically any time I began to think, “Hey, this could be interesting,” Ringer pulled back and said, “Never mind.” The show wastes so much on false leads, which may be designed to build suspense but to me feels more like dragging a flimsy story out over the course of a TV season.

The all-too-convenient near-misses are also irritating. You know, Henry arriving in the hospital room just as Siobhan is going to tell Andrew the truth—such moments are reasonable on television every once in a while, but don’t work when they pepper every episode. It’s not challenging to watch Ringer, because more often than not, the big reveals just keep getting postponed. And when they do happen, it’s too late in the game for me to care much about the fallout.

While I’m ranting, let’s talk a little bit about suspension of disbelief. Machado finds a tarot card and immediately knows that it must be from this one laundromat and not any of the dozen magic shops that sell them? Or how about Andrew listening to Bridget talk about shooting her would-be assassin, and not telling the police? If you’ve just been shot while saving your wife, and she reveals this was the second attempt on her life, would you not immediately share that information with the proper authorities? Maybe they could actually do their jobs and find the hitman.

Of course, all of this pales in comparison to the biggest plothole of all—the fact that Machado still hasn’t called Bridget out on her real identity. Okay, you could say he knows and he’s waiting for her to come forward, but that’s just silly. If he had any inkling that “Siobhan” was really her twin sister, he would have a ton of questions. But no, everyone assumes that “Siobhan” is just Siobhan, even though Bridget’s whereabouts are unknown and she was on the run from the law when she disappeared. Don’t ask too many questions, agent!

I don’t know where this is all going to end up, but like I said, I’m past the point of caring. I do wonder how Ringer was planning on sustaining itself over the course of several seasons. The story and the characters haven’t been strong enough to last for even one: If there was a plan for an epic thriller, it was botched from the get-go.

QUESTIONS:

– Is Malcolm still alive, or is he also in a shallow grave somewhere?

– How long until Bridget tells Andrew about Catherine’s extortion plot?

– Is Machado the worst detective ever, or what?

I LOVE Sarah Michelle Gellar, but this has been a very poorly planned, and executed show pretty much from the get-go. I gave up once the show went on its long hiatus, and finally canceled it off my DVR the first episode back. Haven't regretted it since. Won't even care if the show does make it to DVD...don't even plan to think about borrowing that from Netflix.

I sort of agree with Swinglabacase....The writers DID NOT PLAN this show out..Making it up 2 or 3 episodes at a time...I believe we are in the FINAL PHASE of Ringer...Maybe the shows wirters/producers saw the "writing" on the wall and decided to say to the audience wouldnt it be cool if........Of course this doesnt translate that well if your a fan of the show..BUT..I 've been in for this long so i will see it thorugh,,..My take on the finale..Somehow everyone involved gets either killed or gets their life destroyed..With the 2 sisters still standing at the end....(2nd Take) Bridget kills Siobhan for real..and ends up getting her life somehow..By the love of god..I am going to fin this SEASON....
I don't think Malcolm is dead but my question is: who killed and buried the killer? If you kill someone in self defense (Malcolm) you don't go get a shovel and come back to bury him, no?

And... What an amazing and fortunate coincidence that both girls were dressed the same when Siobhan went to the hospital and saw Bridget coming.

The writer are some kind of "cliffhangers master": every time I watch this show I tell myself that this is going nowhere, they just improvise has they go and it is the last episode that I'll watch. Then they get me for one more at the end... :P

Definitely not something I would buy the DVDs to watch again...
i quited at episode 6, big failure...
I'm kind of with you. I'll plug this out for the rest of this season because I've put this much into it at this point, and I like SMG enough, but I've started to lose a lot of my caring.
The more preposterous the better. Ringer needs to be renewed for a second season and they should purposefully up the crazy. I know that would be a bit of a challenge but after the past 20(ish) episodes, I have faith.
What!? I LOVE RINGER! One of the best freshman shows!

Although some are a bit unrealistic and too weird, but still, it's good!
It's IMPOSSIBLE for Machado to even take into consideration that Siobhan is really Bridget because some while ago, Henry though so and turned her to Machado. BUT it was the real Siobhan and as they run fingerprints it said "Siobhan". So really, a scientist proof can't be argue and how on earth could Machado think that both sisters are in the same city and the real Siobhan did all this on purpose. Especially, with the fact that for Machado, Bridget is somehow implicated in the death of Gemma since her fingerprints were all over the crime scenes. Don't assume that because we know everything from an exterior point of view, all the characters are stupid. Even Gemma and Henry when confronted to the truth had hard times believing it because it's just "insane". Machado is often called "the dumbest cop ever on a TV show" but I think he is "the more realistic one" as a case like that can't be solved in one episode unless you have all the right infos. And all the people Machado questioned , well they keep lying and lying, it's impossible for him to see the light in all this. *It's Hard to Solve the Puzzle when the pieces keep changing*
*It's Hard to Solve the Puzzle when the pieces keep changing*

So true. And said beautifully.
This is not worth reviewing
The part that got me was when Siobhan showed up at the hospital to talk to Andrew and then shortly afterward Bridget showed up (which of course you knew was going to happen) but rather than have anything come of it, Siobhan and Bridget were wearing exactly the same thing so nobody noticed! I don't require shows to be realistic in order to enjoy them (I mean the whole plot to Ringer is ridiculous) but those types of "coincidences" push it too far.
Yeah I thought the same thing. I like the show but that was beyond silly.
not many decent drama shows on these days. i like this one. why? because its not like the same old cop , lawer , medical shows. we have had far to many of them and thier spinoffs.
the ringer is basically a grown up version of the lying game, only not as interesting.
Are you kidding me?!?! I LOVED that episode!!
Unfortunately, Ringer is soo cancelled
There was no "twist" with Olivia and Juliet. Anyone with half a brain knew Juliet did a runner and Bridget and Andrew just assumed that Olivia had something to do with it, as they figured out shortly thereafter. But if you're ready to quit watching this show, because you can't embrace the cheesy soapy guilty pleasure fest Ringer is, then quit writing these reviews and hand it over to someone who will do it justice. The idea of reading these reviews week after week after your statement of not caring or not liking what will happen in the future is just appalling. You want to give up, fine. But that means no more of these hateful write-ups. Also, the reason Machado was led to the laundromat was because they pulled fingerprints off that tarot card. He didn't just pull a name and address out of his ass, y'know. Maybe if you actually paid attention once in awhile, your opinion of this show wouldn't be so damn negative. And given that it's not the first time I've accused you of not paying attention, I'm sensing a trend...
So Olivia had the address to Juliet's school, but now that she didn't kidnap Juliet, they are going to forget the note altogether? It's just a side plot leading to nowhere? Ringer logic, I guess.

I agree with anbis82. I forget really fast what has happened in the show, which might be a sign of that I don't really care about it. And it's really annoying, because I remember bits and pieces but not the important details needed to form a mental picture of events. I remember vaguely that Olivia spoke with someone on the phone at the end of last week's episode. But I can't remember what she talked about! Was it relevant to this weeks episode? Did it have something to do with the note she had at home? Another reason why it's easy to forget what happens in the show is also that it goes back and forth so much. That makes it very hard to create a mental mind-map and timeline of events when there are many similar events jumbled up in a mess.

I still haven't figured out the reason why Siobhan went to Paris and what she exactly did there. If someone could help me with that question it would be much appreciated. On the other hand, if you couldn't care less about the answer to that one, I fully understand. What had she planned for Martin & Charles? There were so many things that she did with all kinds of documents and phone calls in Paris that I lost track of what she actually was trying to do. Take control of Martin & Charles? Use the company to make money before it crashed because of the Ponzi scheme? Just trying to find information on it to expose the scheme?

Your questions:

- No, Malcolm isn't dead. It's one of these things that Ringer does. It appears that he is dead, but then it's someone else in the grave, meaning that Malcolm is alive and has a massively irrational reason for disappearing and not telling the police that he isn't going to testify.

- I wouldn't be surprised if Bridget suddenly promises Juliet at the beginning of the next episode to keep it a secret. She was about to tell Andrew, but since Machado's presence interrupted that, it's a reason not to tell at all. (Obviously!) Is that weird? Not in Ringer world.

- Yeah, Machado is pretty incompetent. Which by the way happens to be exactly the thing that Andrew accuses Machado of being in a sneak peak of next week's episode.
The note was a red herring. It had nothing to do with Juliet's school, they just assumed that. And the reason why Siobhan went to Paris was to ensnare Tyler Barrett into her web of schemes. She knew he was pretty high up in Martin/Charles, without being an insider who would know anything about her. As for Olivia, her call was basically her just saying she needed to get out of the city before the shit it the fan.
I'm a little confused, I thought I watched the episode, but I seriously can't remember what happened. There's nothing there where memories should be, just a black hole. It's probably what you said, I just don't care about anything about this show at all anymore. And I don't think this show really wants me to care, they just throw a lot of "don't take us seriously," at me. It's just frustrating...
If I kill someone and there's no evidence and my spouse tells the cops, I have made a poor choice in spouses. The "proper" authorities are the last people you should tell that story to.
Except for the part where it's self-defense if the other person was trying to KILL YOUR SPOUSE. Especially if it was the SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED. Seriously. Or at the very least he might, you know, broach the subject and possibility with her? Ugh, this show.
Umm, no. Suppose that body turns up. They'll take your word that you're the killer, but they'll make you prove it was self defense, which you can't. Congratulations on your jail time.
And actually, until they prove that you killed the person in a way that wasn't self-defense, they can't really jail you, can they?
Okay, so you might not talk about the killing the would-be assassins, but at least bringing up the fact to the cops that someone's trying to KILL YOU might make some sense. With enough surveillance and investigation, the cops (assuming they're not the stereotypical complete idiot cops that tend to populate these kinds of shows) might start to believe you if you said you shot one of them.
I like Ringer but they are dragging out this storyline. I can't wait to see how they're gonna tie everything up and maybe then it will all be worth it. A second season is pretty much hopeless at this point tho.
i love this show
why do you guys still watch this show its gotten so boring and unwatchable.
I am sorry but Louis your dumb the whole Andrew was in danger now he isn't. Malcolm is dead now he isn't, Olivia kidnapped Juliet now she didn't. Lots of shows do that, it is not that they are afraid to take risks, it is just the way they tell the story. How many times on our shows has a major character been in peril and came out okay dozens of times. Get over it.
"I am sorry but Louis your dumb the whole Andrew was in danger now he isn't."

LOL.
Yep. Usually, if you're going to call out the reviewer for being "dumb" (though I'm pretty sure he can speak), you might try using the right form of your/you're, and writing, you know, complete sentences. It helps credibility.
I agree, this is the third episode in a row I've semi-slept through. Going to stick with the finale, then nothing, no matter what.
I think you are so very wrong!!! To me, this is one of the best series I've seen in a long time!!! To me, the suspense just keeps coming, and every time the episode ends I'm like: no, not right now, keep going!!!

• 8:00 pm