Ringer: Wild Things

Ringer S01E13: "It’s Easy To Cry, When This Much Cash Is Involved"

I had this weird feeling that I once again loved Tuesday’s episode of Ringer—and then I realized I was just enjoying the Lana Del Rey buzz. That’s right, the episode closed with “Blue Jeans,” one of the numbers my favorite new indie pop sensation butchered on Saturday Night Live a few weekends back. I don’t know if you’ve ever experienced this phenomenon, but sometimes an episode closing with a song you really like can be enough to delude you into thinking it was the best ever.

In reality, "It’s Easy To Cry, When This Much Cash Is Involved" wasn’t as good as last week’s episode, but it was still an improvement on the mostly dreadful first half of this season. I do have a couple nitpicks—and I’m not just referring to the superfluous comma in the episode title—but let's start with the positives.

I do have to compare this episode of Ringer to Monday’s episode of The Lying Game, even though some of you aren’t watching both shows. (Shame on you.) The Lying Game also had one of its twins reveal identity-swapping shenanigans to an important regular character recently, but the fall-out was weak—or rather, non-existent. I thought Ringer did an excellent job of showing Henry’s reaction to the duplicity, and the power of Siobhan’s manipulation. By casting Bridget as the villain (Gemma’s murderer, no less), Siobhan has moved another pawn into place. How far will Henry take her request that he keep an eye on Bridget?

And for once, I actually liked Olivia’s role in the episode, as she blackmailed Henry into getting his father-in-law to invest in Martin/Charles. We know something crooked is going on with the company—that’s why Siobhan wants access to the financial records—but we still don’t know what, exactly, it is. And how guilty will Henry feel about seriously screwing things up for his late wife’s father? I’m wondering if he’ll try to void the deal, or simply get his revenge on Olivia. I think it would be more fun if he went for both. Olivia’s certainly got something coming to her, right?

I’m guessing you can surmise what didn’t work for me, but before I move on to the rape accusation storyline, let’s talk a little about Bridget. I was impressed by the headway she was making in her investigation last week, and now I’m a little disappointed. Simply put, how has she not deduced or even suspected that Siobhan is still alive? She never saw a body—nor was one ever recovered. She now realizes that Siobhan was keeping secrets and spending her time with nefarious individuals, so why not at least wonder if her twin sister is still pulling the strings? Perhaps it’s too early in the season for that—I don’t think so—but I find it hard to believe that she has accepted Siobhan’s death as a suicide and moved on accordingly. Maybe I’m just paranoid, but it seems pretty damn obvious that she’s being set up.

But, yes, you knew it was coming—this goddamn Juliet-Mr. Carpenter-Tessa conspiracy. It’s kind of fun (in a really twisted way), but it’s also a carbon copy of the plot of Wild Things. (Uh, spoiler alert if you’ve never seen Wild Things.) Seriously, all of the components are the same: Girl from the wrong side of the tracks and girl from the right side of the tracks team up to accuse their teacher of rape. Then it turns out the girls and the teacher are all in cahoots to get faster access to rich girl’s trust fund. This isn’t just similar—this is the exact same plot! And I get that not everyone is as devoted to Wild Things as I am, but come on. This “shocking” twist has been done before. On the plus side, this has to mean Juliet’s getting kicked out for good.

All in all, however, Ringer is still shaping up to be an entertaining—if not entirely well thought out or original—series. Faint praise, yes, but I was just about ready to quit on this show after almost every episode up until last week’s. I’ll stick around and keep hoping for the best: By season’s end I might have changed my tune dramatically. Especially if Juliet and Malcolm both get the boot.

I just saw the episode for the first time and kept yelling at the screen "This is Wild Things! Exactly!" :D Oh i can't believe they did that, there are so many new stories to tell, why rip a movie off that the same demographic saw in the late 90s? Glad i'm not alone :)
why bother changing your mind..the show just hit a 0.4 rating....in it's first season. bye ringer
I loved the episode and glad your finally warming up to it more! I don't think the classification of the first half of the season as Dreadful is accurate though, I mean really there are few shows this entertaining in this genre.

I'm confused because I could have swore last week you were hoping for a "Wild Things" tribute Ringer style!?!??

I love the twists and turns and how the mystery just keeps getting more complex. I hope we learn what happened in the past with the little boy, Sean.

I see Olivia becoming more entangled and with what Siobhan is planning, I wonder if Juliet, Tess, and Mr. Carpenter's payday will affect it in some way?

All I know is I love the show and look forward to watching more episodes!!!

I'm getting bored. I was pretty excited by the show before the hiatus (and after Gemma's disappearance). But since it got back, I'm just irritated by Brudget's slow understanding of the situation. I mean for us viewers there is a little new to know about what she is discovering as we already know most of it .The "solomon" thing from last week was good, as is the office thing of this week (and the key). But besides those elements we know a lot more than Bridget and seeing her having the clues and not being able to see the big picture is awful. Just like you said it Louis, with all the clues she has, her deduction is not "my sister may be alive" but "someone is still trying to kill me" : how the hell did she deduced that ? That's back to square one.

About the Juliet storyline, I'd say that even if I did not suspect that ending, it's just a classic twist. The weakness of such a twist is that we can't help but think that most of previous scenes doesn't make sense anymore. Because I'm pretty sure that we've seen Juliet being sad or shocked while alone which was of course totally dull. Instead of making us believe that she was sincerely in shock, they should have make us believe that she was trying to frame Carpenter. That would have been more efficient.

If bridget is irritating, Shioban is more manipulative than ever and having her in NY is a good thing. But please, no more Knight Rider dude, even by Skype !
Only thing missing was the Juliet/Tessa makeout session. Neve and Denise did it!
I liked Bridget's new driver. Partly because I've seen him in other things and I like the actor, but I also really like the character, too. Agree that this episode wasn't quite up to last week's but still an improvement over the norm. Regardless, quite enjoying this show.
Am I the only one who found it hilarious that John DeLaurio was "Marksman of the Month" and yet he managed to miss shooting Gemma once at point blank range?
WTF Wild Things!? That was the first thing that went through my mind when Carpenter walked through the door. I like this show (it's mostly residual Sarah Michelle Gellar love) but I can't believe they directly copied the plot of Wild Things. The episode was okay, other than that irritating plot twist, but I anticipate next week's face off to be much better.
Given that The Lying Game is completely uninteresting -because honestly, ABC Family is not a network known for sterling programming- and except for the twin set-up plot, is completely different from Ringer in tone and take off, and that most younger people have never seen the fourteen year old Wild Things or are apparently huge fans of it -Hell, the movie is so boring, I've never finished it- it seems counterproductive to constantly compare Ringer to both. It's like comparing Fringe characters to The X-Files and the plot to The Twilight Zone. Yes, they are similar, but totally different despite having similar themes. It also seems extremely counterproductive to call Bridget stupid for not realizing her sister is alive. You forget the viewer has an almost omnipresent knowledge of what's going on, whereas the characters don't. Bridget is slowly putting pieces together, from assuming Siobhan was unhappy with her life, putting things to right before suicide while getting Bridget out of her situation as a sort of strange amends for their past. She has absolutely no reason to even consider that her sister is alive. Until now, when yes, the pieces should start falling into place a little more rapidly. But to berate a character for not picking up on what we as viewers already know is just bad business and completely unfair to the show. People believe what they want to believe and Bridget believes her sister is dead. As for the episode, I thought it was good. Not as excellent as last weeks', but still good. I have to say, I totally believed Juliet's performance in the bathroom and was shocked to find out it was all a set-up. And considering that until this point, Juliet has been nothing but a poorly fleshed out character, this truly adds a new perspective to her, one I'm sure most people didn't expect. An alcoholic, spoiled rich bitch, yes, but not a person so self involved that she would manipulate other people just to make a few bucks. But then, it's pretty much exactly what Siobhan is doing, in the process of getting revenge as well, so the symmetry works fairly well.
The Juliet conspiring with Mr. Carpenter and Tess just to get the money came out of nowhere, two thumbs up for the creators for that little twist. Didn't see that coming at all. Am cheering Bridget on her little search that she's doing because I really want Siobhan to get what coming to her. And am guessing sooner or later we will find out whats on that tape recording that Siobhan had Henry listen to.
When I saw the whole court scene it reminded me of Wild Things. But I couldn't believe they'd go for identical plot (well, until WT start piling up twists) until I saw they did.
I was totally shocked to find out the teacher was in on it too! Yes, total ripoff but it was still good. I actually like Juliet on the show.
Oh man, I just finished writing a review calling out the blatant rip off of Wild Things before I found this. Right though? COMPLETE carbon copy. HOWEVER... (and you can tell by my all caps that is a big however) **SPOILER ALERT FOR WILD THINGS** In the end of the movie, the poor girl f*cks everyone over and kills the other two before skipping town with all the money. I can't see this happening on Ringer, so to the writer's defense (or at least let's all cross our fingers), the plot won't be an exact rip off when it starts to unfold. If I were to predict anything (judging by the next ep's promo), the poor girl is going to get cocky with her new money and the teacher will probably end up killing her. Moving on to Bridget. Seriously... is she an idiot? The second her sister started to seem sketchy (using fake names, etc.) my first guess would be that she faked her own death. I also think FilmFanatic is correct in assuming that the "face to face slap" was only just a flashback. I won't deny it though... I still really love this show.
I'm afraid I have to liken this show to Flashforward and The Event in the sense that basically all of the characters are either unlikable or have an annoying trait. How has Bridget not found out her sister is still alive? STOP BEING SO DENSE! I'm this far in now that I have to see how it turns out...
Guys,, I m not saying that Bridget might not find out that Siobhan is still alive in the next week's episode ,,, but just watched the extended promo,, and the scene that showed them together is 95% one of Ringer's unnecessary flashbacks,,
Can't believe they actually went through with it and completely ripped off The Wild Things plotline.
This episode was good and as any other episodes it had some stupid and cheesy scenes !

"When Siobhan is talking with tyler and telling him : if is not for me then for... and she puts her hand on her stomach , very funny XD ...geez! , you can do much better BUFFY :P .Still i like the episode and the show is entertaining!
I really want to see what Siobhan is really up to and I find myself throwing popcorn at the TV every time Bridget misses clues that her sister is not dead.

I never saw Wild things, so the Juliet-Tess thing was as shock...question is, who came up with it? I think that Juliet is having second thoughts about it though because "Siobhan" is no longer a raving bi**h and things at home are getting better...not to mention how supportive her Dad and real Mom were in the end. I think she realizes it will not just piss them off, but genuinely hurt her family. I also think that there is going to be some serious jealousy happening between Juliet and Tess.

In the end I will keep it on my DVR and watch it when I am bored...I am hoping that someone gets a brain soon and starts figuring out that Siobhan is not dead!!!
Agree... with all of the above... I keep watching because Sarah Michelle Gellar made my teens so much fun, so I owe it to her :) But since last week I'm honestly a little curious as to where it's headed! What the f*&^ happened to Siobhan before all this?!?!
loved the Juliet-Mr. Carpenter-Tessa! It was a pretty good episode. *spoiler alert* Misha Collins will star on the next episode and Bridget will learn that Siobhan is alive(awesome)!!!!
I feel really bad for Ringer's decreased ratings,, especially cause it's actually much better now (the last 2 episodes) than the rest of the season and ironically the last 2 episodes which for me were the best of the season so far, have the lowest ratings.
Have you seen next week's promo? Bridget def knows now :D
BAD COMMA USE EVERYWHERE.
Says the person who writes an incomplete sentence in all caps.
Care to comment on the use of capital letters?
Oo-er. Ringer's numbers are just over 1 million now. I had really hoped they would tick up after last week's great episode, like they have for The Secret Circle, which has had 4 consistently good episodes and 4 weeks of increased ratings. If it drops any further, we're in dangerous territory. COME ON RINGER!!!! Pull it together.