R.I.P. Jericho, 2006-2008

Gather your nuts, Jericho fans, because here we go again.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, CBS has decided to cancel the apocalyptic drama...again. Citing sources, the trade says that producers have been told the show is ending its run.

One of the feel-good stories of last season, Jericho survived cancellation thanks to a well-publicized fan campaign that changed the minds of CBS executives. The network granted the show a shortened second season of just seven episodes, the last of which airs Tuesday.

Jericho producers prepared for the worse and shot two season finales, one of which would lose any cliffhanger ending and serve as a series finale. That ending will air Tuesday.

"In what we call our original ending... that one simply continues the story and starts the mission for season three," executive producer Carol Barbee told TV.com earlier this year. "The alternate ending just doesn't do that. It brings everybody together and you see where everybody is and it gives a lot more emotional resolution."

It's been a long roller coaster ride for Jericho's crew and fans, but in the end, the "speculative fiction" drama just couldn't bring in the viewers. The show pulled in comparable numbers to its first season, and tailed off dramatically after the season premiere.

The chances of another miracle revival are slim, as CBS already gave the show a chance and cable outlets won't risk footing the bill of the show's production.

[UPDATE] CBS has issued a statement regarding the cancellation of Jericho: "The March 25th episode of Jericho will be the series finale. Without question, there are passionate viewers watching this program; we simply wish there were more. We thank an engaged and spirited fan base for keeping the show alive this long, and an outstanding team of producers, cast and crew that went through creative hoops to deliver a compelling, high quality second season. We have no regrets bringing the show back for a second try. We listened to our viewers, gave the series an opportunity to grow, and the producers put a great story on the screen. We're proud of everyone's efforts."

This was the absolute best dramatic series I've ever watched in all my 70 years. Bring this back even if you have to sneak in one product commercial. i guarantee that item will boom once fans realize it brought Jericho back. Congratulations to everyone involved with this superb show.
CBS you SUCK! way to ruin a great TV Show. figure it out idiots.. this is probably one of my favorite shows.
The wife and I just finished it on Netflix and we love this series. All of you at CBS need to have your heads check because this was a great and thrilling show. It had us yelling at the tv because it was so good. You all suck!!!
damn it i just started watching it on netfix and love it
I watched the first season in Australia, season 2 started I got to see 2 episodes before channel 10 moved them to HD Digital telecast ONLY... that is why the ratings in Australia would have dropped. They have done this with a large number of shows even though we don't switch off analog till 2013 in the capital cities.
We have just started to watch season one in Australia and the show is very quickly getting a cult following! I can't believe CBS is going to cut the head off Jericho. I'm hooked and it's driving me crazy knowing it will come to a end sometime next year for us Aussie fans :-(
sad as it may sound... no more jericho makes me cry. CBS, you people are morons. complete idiots. season 2, though shortlived, was for lack of a better word... amazing. why....? just doesnt make any sense. jericho was just as good as a show like 24. i even liked it more. its a deep loss for me. CBS can suck a nut, better yet they can suck all of the nuts of the jerichos' fans (ladies please dont take that literally or sexually offensive)
The only reason this show got bad ratings and thus canceled is because it was on CBS. If Jericho had been on a network who already pulled in viewers who enjoyed a morally and intellectually challenging stories. All I am saying is that a CSI or Ghost Whisperer fan would be far less likely to enjoy Jericho than say a Lost or BSG fan. Jericho dies on the CBS vine because it is their ugly duckling, not necessarily bad, just out of place.
Are you kidding me! Why are they cancelling a wonderful and intelligent show when there's so much garbage on television that desperately needs to be taken off. You would have thought CBS would realize what a terrific and well-like show they had after so many viewers rallied to keep it from being cancelled before. NUTS!!
My husband and I, as well as, our friends and family all enjoy this show very much.Please don't take it off the air.
CBS claims they gave this series a fair shot?? Season 1 was scheduled against American Idol, the number one show in the nation. Season 2 was pit against one the CSI franchises. Hmmmm...fair shot? I'm just sorry Jericho wasn't introduced on NBC: they were public about the possibility of Law & Order being canceled in the first or second season, 12-15 years ago, but they gave it another shot knowing the quality they had on their hands. CBS must be run by a bunch of idiots to have let Jericho go. Hey CBS, why don't you replace Jericho with yet another mindless reality show? That'll bring back us viewers with more than two brain cells to rub together!
I'm really sick of CBS putting and taking off Jericho. I love this show and I always look forward to watching it every week. Now once again they've taken it off the programming schedule. What's up with that? No wonder their ratings are down they put a program on an than take it off a few months later, this is some BS!
Watched CBS all the time until their so-called unbias news became a joke. Started watching other networks and a lot more cable. Jericho brought me back. No Jericho, no more CBS. "GOOD BY"
Why do Americans not watch it enough.

If it depends on me to keep rolling, I would make a campaign "Watch Jericho" rightaway.

This is an amazing show, that makes us pay attention to little things we have already been use to. Like energy, food, water, heat... And how does an community solves these kinds of former little problems. Well, it is a pitty this is happening, I will sure be broken hearted after this.
what the crap is with canceling the only shows i watch. down to just south park, top chef, and lost. what a crock
This is a joke, CBS have it in for jericho why can they not just let it run on until a properly ended second season at least, this is an even bigger disappointment than the cancellation of drive, BRING JERICHO BACK
The problem with not having enough viewers has to do with the fact that they aired Season Two during the Writer's Strike, at which time I was barely watching television.
They should at least air another season on Showtime. It would get high ratings for what it's worth
Unbelievable! I'm from Holland and I watch a lot of series, but Jericho is the very best in a lóng time! One of the few shows ever to give me goosebumps... I (and a lot of my friends with me!) can only hope that CBS comes to their senses! It would truly be a loss if indeed this show is cancelled...
Jericho started off as a great show but when the ratings did not materialize, the producers decided to go main stream and basically ruined the show.

I was hopeful that the second season would get back to the original formula. It was better but they still gave up story for action.

This is not a show that will ever survive on network television. Too bad CBS does not have a sister cable station because this show could flourish on cable. Fans start looking for a better home for this show.
Do a TV boicott. Don´t watch certain shows.
they cancel our shows. Don´t give them ratings.
CBS is not giving this show a chance. How do they know how many fans they have? There is far too much crap on tv that nobody cares about...won't be watching much on CBS now.
why do all the good shows get axed ??

im from london and i was a huge fan of jericho ... i just have one question for everyone... considering the kinda shows that we get in uk... how is it that, strictly come dancing, ice skate dancing, celeberites' circus, even shows based on crappy lives of paris hilton and the other slut etc kinda shows are still on air...who really likes them anyways... ??
i am from England, jerico has just finnished its first season on ITV4, it was a GREAT show,something we have been missing on UK tv, now i find out it has been axed, just like now and again a few years ago, now we have to put up with crap shows like strictly come dancing CRAP, simon cowell CRAP, ice dancing CRAP to name just a few, come on CBS give us a 3rd season, from a really P****d off English Fan.
Its funny how a creative show thats family friendly and doesn't have dead bodies in display ala the dozen CSI franchises out there, I mean seriously you seen one dead body investigation you seen them all. I mean do we really need to see investigations in 3 cities, I mean I am the first one to say that it was cool at first, but seriously its the same thing over and over again! Then you have a tv show thats creative and you never know the new twist and the characters are the best around.... Come on CBS get your act together and stop serving us crap and keep the good stuff around, and don't say that you gave Jericho a second chance, when you put it on late in the season after the writers strike and everything else, it was far from prime watching time, as you have moved around the time so much, not even I knew when it was on and im a huge fan of the show!
I am from Algeria/France and i just watched the last episode... it's really sad that we won't see the future adventures of Jack, Hawkins and all the people of Jericho...it's been a nice adventure with them and i'll miss them! so sad !
I am from Australia,i will miss Jericho. Great show, what a shame all the good shows get the axe yet all the garbage keeps coming back.
What a pity "THEY" wont listen to the people. Reality shows are old and not what we "the people want"We nwws to so somthing to get this show back. Perhaps soe station with gut will continue this Great show. Are "YOU" listening??
Let's face it, Jericho struck too close to home with the "corporatism" that is happening right now in the USA and the big wigs at CBS and the Whitehouse were running scared. Substitute Halliburton and KBR for Jennings & Rall(East India Company); Substitute Blackwater for Ravenwood(Hessian troops). We have seen it all before in this country. Unfortunately, Jericho is going to happen because most people in this country are Sheeple and they don't realize it yet, but they are owned after laws have been passed recently like the REALID, Patriot Act, Millitary Commmisions Act, and executive orders that allow the government to suspend Habeas Corpus and the elections. We brought it on ourselves and we can only blame our selves by not standing up against these laws.
Maybe there needs to be a viewer strike... They arnt listening to anything we want. WE ARE OVER REALITY TV BTW NETWORKS!
I WANT TO SEE A FILM OF IT. I THINK IT WOULD DO VERY WELL
Hi from Australia. We probably wont even see season 2 air here our channels are probably all owned by CBS as the amount of absolute rubbish that is airing sounds familiar to comments on the amount of reality and CSI shows. I have watched the so called last episode and still dont think it has been finished enough to warrant being the finale. At least 2 more episodes of maybe future looking back to sew it all up and tie up all the loose ends that are still flapping in the wind.
CBS really did not help the wonderful fans promote the show. I saw very little promos for season two. The fans promoted, and posted, and voted Jericho to the top of all television polls. They managed to recruit viewers from all over the world. Germany, Sweden, Brazil, England, Canada, not to mention the legions of fans in the USA. I don't know how they calculated their figures, but no way did Jericho viewership not increase from last season. Many people were forced to record or download from the Internet to view. Tuesday night at 10pm on a school day/work week, did nothing to improve Jericho's chances. CBS knows what a valuable and unique series Jericho is, yet they continue to air totally superfluous shows like Big Brother, and let Jericho fall by the wayside. I don't get it. I do not understand how they could not see it's overall value. The fans of Jericho even logged and utilized the sponsors of Jericho. How is this not something that is completely unique and worthy of continuing? My love affair with CBS is officially over. You had me at Jericho........
Don't blame CBS. They gave it a shot. Blame America.
God of all shows dont take jericho from us....

CBS keep cutting the best shows why!!!!!

I HATE REALITY SHOWS I THINK I SPEAK OF MANY PEOPLE WHEN I SAY THAT.

For the sake of our TV/INTERNET dont take our drug

The story is much better than many other shows...

Family Guy never liked it.

Avatar: The Last Airbender never want to watch it

Supernatural that has a crap story rather watch Ghost Whisper at least a nice girl to watch =).

CSI (the first one was the best)

Then came CSI NY, MIAMI, etc.

Why the hell we know all the effects and the stories after the first one.
Is there going to be season 3? :(
This sucks. The wire, bsg and jericho all ending all great shows to be replaced by another csi or law and order.
CBS are idiots. They have no clue on what their viewers want, if they did, they wouldn't of done this again! The ending the series is just as bad as the first time they did it.

Idiots.
Network execs and programmers are such morons! They (as well as most sponsors) fail to realize that high viewership shouldn't be their goal at all -- targeting diverse demographics SHOULD be. Of course there will be some overlap, but by-and-large the people that like the quirky and thought-provoking shows are quite different from viewers of the mass appeal shows which garner the largest viewership. So just how are those all-important sponsors going to market to the cult-show followers if the networks keep cancelling their favorite shows ... after all, they already have SO MANY shows which target that vast majority of sheep which refuse to stray from the middle of the pasture!
When it first started I thought the show had promise. Then they put it in hiatus forever and I could not get back into it. I even tried to watch the first episodes again and stopped in the middle of the second or third one. I just could not get into this series again. I am sorry to see it go, as there is so much bad TV out there, at least some people liked this show. I think this show suffered from bad timing and poor network management of it.
Remember this is the network that brought you Pirate Master and thought it was a good show.
Jericho was a great show. A big boooo to CBS for canceling it.
I just watched the finale of Jericho. We need to do something to keep this amazing show alive. There are so many stories that can still be played out with this show. If CBS won't pony up and let Jericho keep breathing, how about another network? Anyone have any ideas on what we can do to bring it back yet again? My email address is chris21fl@yahoo.com If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to hit me up. LET'S KEEP JERICHO ALIVE!!!!
This sucks. I was really disappointed to find out that CBS cancelled Jerico again, and they seem to be replacing it with a stupid reality show. We have enough of the reality shows. We need a drama series like Jericho because it gives us variety when it comes to watching any T.V series.
the way this season ended NEEDS another season!!
CBS has announced a new show-CSI Jericho. Really that name change alone would've brought in a bigger audience because a lot of viewers are sheep.
Another great show gone.....yet the tv is covered in reality show garbage...when will studios ever get it right and when we ppl get a good sense for decent, well written, well acted, entertaining shows like Jericho !
laughs @ CBS.
this sucks there is so much story that could happen now that they have the bomb south and the east vs the western goverment writers could have a feild day whith this go to hell cbs
Write-in Campaign and Online Petition to Save Jericho

CBS may have decided to pass on a third season of Jericho, but there is still hope for its continuation. It seems clear that the Sci Fi Channel has opened the door to solicit feedback from fans on adding Jericho to their lineup. They have provided their snail mail address in two news pieces from the Sci Fi Wire website for people to write in support of the show. We should definitely start up a letter campaign to let them know that the fanbase for Jericho is still very strong. I have more information on how to write to write to them at the following link: http://www.axiomsedge-scifi.com/save_jericho.htm

In addition, I have set up an online petition for us to show our support for the continuation of the series into a third season and beyond: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/Jericho_Lives/

I will pass this information along to the Sci Fi Channel and I will also try to get it to Carol Barbee so that she can use this as a selling point when talking to any and all networks.

As fans of Jericho, we saved it from extinction once, and with a little more effort whe can do it a second time. Please sign the petition and send your letter to the Sci Fi Channel and with a little luck and a bit of hard work we will be rewarded with a third season!

-Paul S. White

Axiom's Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy: www.axiomsedge-scifi.com
Ahh that sucks! i just came back off holiday and jus read this! not the news i was hoping for for my return! Jericho was awesome, and fingers crossed another network will pick it up, but i doubt that wil happen but i can always hope! sci-fi should totally pick it up, i think the ratings it was getting are strong enough for it to survive on sci-fi for a few more seasons!
Load More Comments