Running Wilde: Coming Up Short

Running Wilde may look like Arrested DevelopmentWill Arnett plays a pompous ass with a douchey sense of style and David Cross plays a half-witted buffoon with a terrible sense of style. It may even feel like Arrested Development—the brilliant Mitch Hurwitz is one of the show’s executive producers. But Running Wilde is most definitely not Arrested Development.

FOX didn’t exactly make a huge mistake with Running Wilde—it’s got the names to draw in old AD fans and newcomers who have discovered Arnett and Cross since that short-lived small-screen miracle. But the show doesn’t have the humor that made AD great. Far from it, actually—the dialogue is forced, the jokes are forced, the voice-over is forced, and the premise seems random and unfinished, like it was ripped off from a straight-to-DVD movie. Plus, Keri Russell and Stefania Owen are completely wrong for this show—their comedic talents are dismal compared to those of the rest of the cast. When it comes down to it, the only reason I’m watching Running Wilde is because I freakin’ love Will Arnett and David Cross. (Peter Serafinowicz as Fa’ad is an added bonus.)

Despite all of these shortcomings, I’m going to stick with it. Somehow, my love for Arnett and Cross has trumped my dissatisfaction for everything else about the show. It might be unfair to keep comparing Running Wilde to Arrested Development, but Arnett, Cross, and Hurwitz had to know going into this project that parallels would be drawn all over the place. At the very least, watching Running Wilde will only enhance how awesome their last collaboration was. At the most, the show will improve and we’ll get to see Will Arnett every week. Now that is a freebie.

What did you think of the premiere of Running Wilde?

Follow TV.com writer Stefanie Lee on Twitter: @StefAtTVDotCom

I love it
It wasn't as bad as a i expected. People make a mistake comparing it to AD.
I liked it I think people should give the show a chance, it has all the peices to be great it just needs a little time!
The pilot was hit and miss and miss and miss and miss...

(the tiny horse was kinda funny)

disappointingly unwatchable
I really liked it. I read some reviews and thought it would be awful plus the name sounds more and commercials made it sound more like a parody of a fox show than a real one but I was pleasantly surprised, I got a bunch of laughs from which is more than I could say about most shows I watch. I hope this one lasts a long time, though I doubt it it will
The pilot for Running Wilde left it with two ways to go; it's either going to be ridiculous and freaking genius, or it's going to fall off a cliff in the next 4-6 episodes. I give it such leeway because the episodes are only 22 minutes.

I've only seen a season of Arrested Development, but other than recognizing Will Arnett from that show, I pretty much stopped the comparisons there; Arrested Development was good, but it's still off the air, and I don't want to compare a brand new show with such a good (and now canceled), show.

The part with the piano was brilliant, I loved it. The part with the horses - forced, ridiculous (not in a good way), and I feel wasn't thought through enough. But what really sealed the deal on me keeping up with this, at least for awhile, was that last scene.

When Keri tells Will that her projects is to make him a good man (or a better man, I can't find the exact quote), I said to myself - "Well. It'll either be absolutely hysterical and fun, or it's gonna bomb. That quote sets it up to go either way."

Because, lets face it, projects like that can get very cliche, very boring, and in general unwatchable after awhile. But, here is Will Arnett, running with the love of fans of AD, and his own brilliant acting along with a plot that can give him room to move into the serious sides of things.

That was my only issue with Arrested Development. Don't get me wrong, it was funny, but a family can't exist like that without a few more serious moments...and there are a couple, but not enough.

So, here's to Running Wilde - I hope you do for me what Arrested Development did not.
Hold on guys, it's the first episode! think everyone should calm down and wait and see, although the episode didn't live up to AD standards you have to admit, those standards are pretty damn high! and as i remember it took me 2-3 eps to get into AD, and now i think its my fav show ever. I think the above review was a little harsh considering its the first episode, plus there was a lot od detail to get over, but towards the end of the episode it started to get running. AVERYSAYS- i also laughed aloud at that moment!
Lets give it a chance before slating it, it ay not get better, but can we at least wait!?
The pilot was pretty bad, but I'm going to watch at least a couple more episodes before I decide whether I will continue watching..

I would like to point out one bit that made me laugh out loud though - the part where his is playing a sad melody on the piano and then quickly jumps up and flips the on/off switch.
Got off to a rough start but ended up being pretty good.
It wasn't laugh out loud funny, but think it'll grow as we get to know the characters. Still, I miss Arrested Development and GOB most of all..
I hate that every time someone thinks of Running Wilde they have to mention Arrested Development. Its a new show, with it's own goals and reasons. I thought the characters were fun, and the script had some seiously good jokes. It has more brains than a hole season of Glee, wich is hype purely based on re-edition of songs. The show reminded me of "Community", that started up with some flaws, but you could see this is a show that will go places, and it will be a great sitcom. I can't understand all the bad reviews. I'm sure... i bet... they'll be bitting their tongues.(sorry for my english)
You can't judge a show solely on the pilot episode. It takes at least 3 episodes to get the real gist of the show. That being said, I didn't mind Running Wilde, but didn't hate it either. And I will continue to watch for the reasons Stephanie listed above: My love for the people involved. I was looking forward to this show more than Raising Hope, but Raising Hope turned out to be a much better pilot, in my opinion.
I expected it to be terrible based on the reviews, but it ended up being pretty good. There were a few times where I felt the jokes fell flat, but then there were other times that worked well like when he wasn't actually playing the piano and when he and his friend screwed up Puddle's idea.
I thought it was great. I do think you need to judge the show on its own merit, however. Any comedy is going to compare unfavourably with Arrested Development. With Arnett, Cross and Serafanowicz and the 'straighter' characters to bounce off I think this has lots of potential.

The first episode of any new show spends a lot of time introducing the characters and the funnier episodes generally appear later in the season - I am really looking forward to the next few episodes.
I didnt think it was that bad but it wasn't fabulous either